PDA

View Full Version : The Great Yogi Debate

Frazerbob
21-10-2017, 11:15 PM
Just listening to a re-run of today's Off The Ball. I'm guessing not many Hibs fans listened as it was on at the same time as the game. Yogi was one of the guests and he was asked straight out who he was supporting today. After a wee pause he said "probably Hibs". He then admited to being a Celtic fan until the age of 14, traveling on the Leith CSC (from The Spey Lounge) but he and his mates changed to support Hibs when they could skive in over the wall. He also said he has an afinity to both clubs....probably because he loves green.

So, there we have it, staright from the horse's mouth and excatly as many on here have said previously. We can put this debate to bed once and for all.

Earlydelivery
22-10-2017, 06:23 AM
Known him since secondary.. always a Celtic fan

J-C
22-10-2017, 06:41 AM
I remember him going to the Celtic games with his brother but I also remember him going to see Hibs with his mates in his mid-late teens.

IGRIGI
22-10-2017, 07:01 AM
A Hibs fan wouldn't say "probably Hibs"

Nakedmanoncrack
22-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Hardly any football players are supporters as such.

FilipinoHibs
22-10-2017, 07:51 AM
I remember him going to the Celtic games with his brother but I also remember him going to see Hibs with his mates in his mid-late teens.

A friend of mine went out with him when he was in his later teens. Defo a Hibs fan then. But late father a Celtic fan. Used to drink in his local in Leith

DH1875
22-10-2017, 08:06 AM

Neither would a celtic fan :confused:

Sammy7nil
22-10-2017, 09:17 AM

And think that sums it up Yogi has not been a "fan" of any club for forty years he has always been playing or being paid by another club and therefore now has no strong affinity for any one particular team. I bet he also looks out for Falkirk and ICT results.

All this who players support is just nonsense none of them regularly pay to get in to games.

The only ex Hibs players I know that genuinely support the team are Kano, Mickey, Keith, Pat and Jackie Mc maybe Ralph who goes with Jackie

G B Young
22-10-2017, 09:39 AM
And think that sums it up Yogi has not been a "fan" of any club for forty years he has always been playing or being paid by another club and therefore now has no strong affinity for any one particular team. I bet he also looks out for Falkirk and ICT results.

All this who players support is just nonsense none of them regularly pay to get in to games.

The only ex Hibs players I know that genuinely support the team are Kano, Mickey, Keith, Pat and Jackie Mc maybe Ralph who goes with Jackie

Leigh Griffiths surely? Deeks? George Stewart too, although I think he maybe lives down south these days. And going further back, Lawrie Reilly was dyed in the wool, still attending games until very late in his life.

Frazerbob
22-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Ok, so maybe we can’t put it to bed lol

Tom Hart RIP
22-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Leigh Griffiths surely? Deeks? George Stewart too, although I think he maybe lives down south these days. And going further back, Lawrie Reilly was dyed in the wool, still attending games until very late in his life.

Plus Jimmy Orourke, Eric Stevenson, Ian Murray, Geebsie, off the top of my head

Bostonhibby
22-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Plus Jimmy Orourke, Eric Stevenson, Ian Murray, Geebsie, off the top of my headErich Schaedler.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

keep the faith
22-10-2017, 01:01 PM
KT has a season ticket with his kids.

Sammy7nil
22-10-2017, 02:07 PM

When was the last time you saw them at a game ?

FilipinoHibs
22-10-2017, 02:13 PM

Willie Murray too. A mate of mine who is season ticket holder.

Tom Hart RIP
22-10-2017, 02:20 PM

Saw Deek at Aberdeen game and Leigh is at every Hibs game that doesn't clash. Forgot about big Dode who was a massive Hibby when I used to drink in his pub.

Tom Hart RIP
22-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Or might have been Livi game but Deek was definitely in the West stand.

Sammy7nil
22-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Or might have been Livi game but Deek was definitely in the West stand.

Okay good point about Deek, I have never seen or heard of being him at a game since he left Hibs and to be fair he has had plenty time on his hands. However there is no doubt he is a fan if not a supporter.

Hibrandenburg
22-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Plus Jimmy Orourke, Eric Stevenson, Ian Murray, Geebsie, off the top of my head

Geebsie was definitely a Hun at school.

Sammy7nil
22-10-2017, 02:41 PM

I worked with his sister he was Blue nose but he never went to Rangers games as he was always playing football. By the time he left Hibs he was a Hibby but he is another guy you never see at a game now.

Nakedmanoncrack
22-10-2017, 03:22 PM

:agree:
Jackie McNamara & Ralph Callaghan certainly Hibs fans, though Jackie grew up as a Celtic fan as well only becoming a Hibs fan after he played for us.

Nakedmanoncrack
22-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Erich Schaedler.

Fairly sure Schaedler's sympathys were for the Huns as a boy.

Bostonhibby
22-10-2017, 03:28 PM
Fairly sure Schaedler's sympathys were for the Huns as a boy.Spoke to him in shades. He absolutely loved Hibs.

Easy to walk from the darkness into the light.[emoji6]

keep the faith
22-10-2017, 03:42 PM
Okay good point about Deek, I have never seen or heard of being him at a game since he left Hibs and to be fair he has had plenty time on his hands. However there is no doubt he is a fan if not a supporter.

See deek regularly outside the ground.

leith lynx
22-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Willie Murray too. A mate of mine who is season ticket holder.

Saw Chris Reid in the hibs end at Hampden on Saturday, also Bobby Smith used to attend a lot of games

Nakedmanoncrack
22-10-2017, 03:53 PM
Spoke to him in shades. He absolutely loved Hibs.

Easy to walk from the darkness into the light.[emoji6]

And loads do, very few football players are particularly attached to any one club as a boy, they are too busy playing and training several nights a week from a young age to get involved in supporting a team.

Thecat23
22-10-2017, 03:57 PM
And loads do, very few football players are particularly attached to any one club as a boy, they are too busy playing and training several nights a week from a young age to get involved in supporting a team.

Correct.

IlDiavola
22-10-2017, 04:38 PM

Eddie May was Hibs 100%.

Danderhall Hibs
22-10-2017, 04:54 PM

Griffiths was a spectator at the game yesterday. Can’t get much more recent than that.

IlDiavola
22-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Griffiths was a spectator at the game yesterday. Can’t get much more recent than that.

:Awright!:

Sammy7nil
22-10-2017, 09:27 PM
See deek regularly outside the ground.

Is he looking for a lift over :greengrin

Nakedmanoncrack
22-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Thinking of other players who have went the other way, from having an affinity with Hibs as kids - Jim Baxter and Alan Gilzean are two Scottish greats who originally 'supported' Hibs.

heretoday
22-10-2017, 11:14 PM
Fairly sure Schaedler's sympathys were for the Huns as a boy.

Yeah!

Criswell
22-10-2017, 11:21 PM

Sorry, but who the hell is "Geebsie"?

Halmyre Hibee
22-10-2017, 11:57 PM
Sorry, but who the hell is "Geebsie"?

Gordon Hunter

The Harp
23-10-2017, 12:10 AM
Can't let ex players who support the team go by without mentioning John Fraser. Long term player and captain for us through the 50's & 60's and who later became a coach at ER. John was a regular at Hibs games for years but haven't seen him lately. Hope all is well with him.

jgl07
23-10-2017, 01:31 AM
This really is a non-story. Yogi has never made a secret that he was a Celtic supporter in his youth, albeit with a soft spot for Hibs.

His comments were exactly what I would have expected. He gave his all when playing for Hibs, admittedly when past his best. He was a pain for Hibs when he played for Falkirk and Ayr United. He was an even bigger pain when managing Falkirk against Hibs.

Get over it.

kaimendhibs
23-10-2017, 02:58 AM
Can't let ex players who support the team go by without mentioning John Fraser. Long term player and captain for us through the 50's & 60's and who later became a coach at ER. John was a regular at Hibs games for years but haven't seen him lately. Hope all is well with him.

Doing ok. Has a stall at East Fortune market I believe.

FilipinoHibs
23-10-2017, 03:50 AM

Saw him at 5-1 final

The Harp Awakes
23-10-2017, 07:16 AM
Just listening to a re-run of today's Off The Ball. I'm guessing not many Hibs fans listened as it was on at the same time as the game. Yogi was one of the guests and he was asked straight out who he was supporting today. After a wee pause he said "probably Hibs". He then admited to being a Celtic fan until the age of 14, traveling on the Leith CSC (from The Spey Lounge) but he and his mates changed to support Hibs when they could skive in over the wall. He also said he has an afinity to both clubs....probably because he loves green.

So, there we have it, staright from the horse's mouth and excatly as many on here have said previously. We can put this debate to bed once and for all.

Yep, just as I remember it from Holy Rood High - Yogi followed Celtic until around 2nd year and then became a Hibee.