PDA

View Full Version : Family section, Hampden

Kaff
21-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Think I'll contact Hibs direct but wonder what everyone's view is on this?
Today we again decided to buy 4 full price tickets in the North stand (2 adults 2 kids) as we did find that being in the East/West reduced prices there were generally a lot of people not entirely supportive of the team, fairly p#sed and a few obnoxious! Been in the North for last 4 semis/finals and no problems with great atmosphere but today there was one lad who, by what he said, sounded like he was a supporter of another club and there with his Hibs mates, poor language I've got no problem with but we seemed to get engulfed in his flavoured vape 'smoke' all the time and it was crap tbh, I asked him to stop blowing it into us,and he agreed he would but not long after my wife is,arguing with him which I only found out after the game was him nipping away the whole time that we should be in the 'family section' and even that our 7 yr old was blocking his view, even standing on his seat he is below my height.
Question is, there is no family section so where should we go or should there actually be an area that you can only buy a ticket if accompanied by a child?

Ilovehibs
21-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Today we again decided to buy 4 full price tickets in the North stand (2 adults 2 kids) as we did find that being in the East/West reduced prices there were generally a lot of people not entirely supportive of the team, fairly p#sed and a few obnoxious! Been in the North for last 4 semis/finals and no problems with great atmosphere but today there was one lad who, by what he said, sounded like he was a supporter of another club and there with his Hibs mates, poor language I've got no problem with but we seemed to get engulfed in his flavoured vape 'smoke' all the time and it was crap tbh, I asked him to stop blowing it into us,and he agreed he would but not long after my wife is,arguing with him which I only found out after the game was him nipping away the whole time that we should be in the 'family section' and even that our 7 yr old was blocking his view, even standing on his seat he is below my height.
Question is, there is no family section so where should we go or should there actually be an area that you can only buy a ticket if accompanied by a child?

We were in section B family section today as had kids with us. Was great atmosphere and no problems at all.

lord bunberry
21-10-2017, 09:36 PM
I was in the same position as you with my six year old daughter. If I’m being honest I just tend to go with the flow at the football and try and not get worked up by what is happening around me. Everyone who goes to the football has their own idea of what a day at hampden should be like. I agree that there should always be a dedicated family area, but that doesn’t even happen at our own stadium. Kids are amazingly resilient, and the things we work so hard to protect them from probably happen every day when they’re at school. Not my daughters school obviously :greengrin

Kaff
21-10-2017, 09:38 PM
We were in section B family section today as had kids with us. Was great atmosphere and no problems at all.

I appreciate that they sell child ticket prices in there but Imo its not sold as 'family section' since anyone can go there. Think it was the 4-3 Falkirk game where we paid total of £40 (2 x £15 and 2 x £5?) but the place was full of adults for the cheap seats, no problem but don't call it 'family' is my point. Only point im making is that wife and daughter (who heard the argument) had their day spoilt (?) by being accused of not being in the family section, perhaps there should be one?

Hermit Crab
21-10-2017, 09:40 PM
That was definitely an ass hole element in the North Stand today.

Kaff
21-10-2017, 09:44 PM
I was in the same position as you with my six year old daughter. If I’m being honest I just tend to go with the flow at the football and try and not get worked up by what is happening around me. Everyone who goes to the football has their own idea of what a day at hampden should be like. I agree that there should always be a dedicated family area, but that doesn’t even happen at our own stadium. Kids are amazingly resilient, and the things we work so hard to protect them from probably happen every day when they’re at school. Not my daughters school obviously :greengrin

You are absolutely correct, if I'd been on my own at the game I would have asked the fella to blow his smoke somewhere else as it was pretty crap for me anyway . No problem no drama two adults agreeing about something but he was just a dick later and it was over by my wife and daughter rather than me he was saying it. But I'm more curious as to whether there should be a dedicated family area? I know we used to have one when crowds were poor at the Scotland games but its been a while since then if I remember correctly?

Ilovehibs
21-10-2017, 09:47 PM
I understand what you are saying Kaff. I just assumed the section where you can buy children's tickets cheaper was the 'family section' as such which is where we were today.
Having now sat in the north, south, east and west at hampden with my kids over the years I can honestly say it is down to the luck of the draw who you end up sitting next to/near in terms of the experience you have. We had a good one today.
Really hope your experience hasnt put your wife and daughter off going again and maybe there is scope for a purely family section at future games.

Keith_M
21-10-2017, 09:48 PM
There's no official Family Section.

I was in the West and didn't see any problems with misbehaving drunks. Although one guy behind us got thrown out for having a bottle of vodka, but he wasn't being abusive or anything.

Kaff
21-10-2017, 09:53 PM
I understand what you are saying Kaff. I just assumed the section where you can buy children's tickets cheaper was the 'family section' as such which is where we were today.
Having now sat in the north, south, east and west at hampden with my kids over the years I can honestly say it is down to the luck of the draw who you end up sitting next to/near in terms of the experience you have. We had a good one today.
Really hope your experience hasnt put your wife and daughter off going again and maybe there is scope for a purely family section at future games.

Thanks mate, honestly we're all 'resilient' as Lord Bunberry says too and it won't put us off. Just curious as to anyone else's opinion on an actual family section since we were obviously meant to be there!
I do agree that it is pot luck and we've also had good experience in East stand

Thecat23
21-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Hampden does seem to bring out more idiots than normal over the years. Have to say though I was in the South to the left of the tunnel was a good atmosphere all around us.

Appreciate why you would get annoyed, nothing worse than those vape things I always think Dynamo is about to appear out the smoke or someone saying “Tonight Matthew I’m going to be...”

NAE NOOKIE
21-10-2017, 09:55 PM
We were in the west stand ... absolutely no problrm

Ilovehibs
21-10-2017, 09:58 PM
Thanks mate, honestly we're all 'resilient' as Lord Bunberry says too and it won't put us off. Just curious as to anyone else's opinion on an actual family section since we were obviously meant to be there!
I do agree that it is pot luck and we've also had good experience in East stand

Good to hear. I think a family section is a good idea.

silverhibee
21-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Hampden does seem to bring out more idiots than normal over the years. Have to say though I was in the South to the left of the tunnel was a good atmosphere all around us.

Appreciate why you would get annoyed, nothing worse than those vape things I always think Dynamo is about to appear out the smoke or someone saying “Tonight Matthew I’m going to be...”

Shirley. 😂

Kaff
21-10-2017, 10:00 PM
We were in the west stand ... absolutely no problrm

Absolutely appreciate that will be the case with most, just wondering if there is demand/requirement for even one section that is dedicated family? Other than that there will obviously be children scattered throughout the ground which will impact on others really?

Thecat23
21-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Shirley. 😂

😂😂

Nakedmanoncrack
21-10-2017, 10:04 PM
My gripe in the West stand was selfish people again being allowed to crowd the toilets at half time openly smoking.

MWHIBBIES
21-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Few of the usual Hampden idiots out today, some embarrassing behaviour near me.

hibsdaft
21-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Thought it was a great support today, not many idiots about. Did see a fight outside the West at FT involving a Celtic fan. didn't seem to be strict segregation in place which was surprising.

hibsboy69
21-10-2017, 10:17 PM
Was in the North - no issues where I was

Nakedmanoncrack
21-10-2017, 10:29 PM
Thought it was a great support today, not many idiots about. Did see a fight outside the West at FT involving a Celtic fan. didn't seem to be strict segregation in place which was surprising.

No segregation outside, or on trains to/from Central, and didn't see a hint of a problem.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-10-2017, 10:32 PM
I've got no idea what the OPs point is. Is it just me?

Kaff
21-10-2017, 10:34 PM

Should there be a specific family section? Said it more than once in the thread

We were told we should be there but there isn't one.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-10-2017, 10:35 PM

Now that I've read the last paragraph I realise the OP should read "should there be a family section"?

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-10-2017, 10:37 PM
Should there be a specific family section? Said it more than once in the thread

We were told we should be there but there isn't one.

you beat me to it, a one sentence question would've done the trick.

Kaff
21-10-2017, 10:40 PM
you beat me to it, a one sentence question would've done the trick.

And then someone would have asked why I was asking the question. Needless semantics imo?

DH1875
21-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Just because its cheaper doesn't make it a family section. It's the luck of the draw I'm afraid and doesn't matter where you sit or how much you pay, always run the chance of sitting next to some arse.
As for a family section at football, 9 out of 10 times I agree, should be one. Run of the mill games at ER no problems but at cup finals and semi finals where tickets are hard to come by, no I don't agree ( of course we didn't sell out today so who knows).

matty_f
21-10-2017, 10:52 PM
I was in section B today and it was good, people singing and generally considerate of those around them. Plenty folk standing when the game was exciting but happy to sit again when it quietened down, so the kids round about us got to see the game no problem.

Saw the wee scuffle outside, Celtc fan walking to the Hibs fans chanting 'Celtic' was never going to get far before someone took exception to him, but it was handbags and over very quickly.

Good crowd on our bus as well, meant that despite the score it was a fairly enjoyable trip through.

Onceinawhile
21-10-2017, 10:56 PM
My gripe in the West stand was selfish people again being allowed to crowd the toilets at half time openly smoking.

Aye it was brutal. No reason they can't do what we do outside the north and east stands. Only takes 5 or 6 bits of cheap fencing.

Kaff
21-10-2017, 11:46 PM
DH & Matty
I'm sure family section for Scotland games stopped as demand was too big for games and it was a disproportionate size of area so can understand why its not priority, especially since if we had it in our smaller ticket use then Celtic (and Rangers) would need to be provided with similar.
Don't expect anyone to tame down language or sit down, was just annoying that after asking someone to stop blowing his vape all over us he chose to make his objections to wife and daughter, I know its a general thing but was a genuine question, would a dedicated family section solve most of this? HH can add to his 14,000 posts by being all superior if he likes but a genuine reply to the point would also be helpful

SRHibs
22-10-2017, 09:02 AM
DH & Matty
I'm sure family section for Scotland games stopped as demand was too big for games and it was a disproportionate size of area so can understand why its not priority, especially since if we had it in our smaller ticket use then Celtic (and Rangers) would need to be provided with similar.
Don't expect anyone to tame down language or sit down, was just annoying that after asking someone to stop blowing his vape all over us he chose to make his objections to wife and daughter, I know its a general thing but was a genuine question, would a dedicated family section solve most of this? HH can add to his 14,000 posts by being all superior if he likes but a genuine reply to the point would also be helpful

Speak to a steward if there’s an issue? If all you’ve got to worry about is some harmless vapour then we’re not doing too bad, IMO.

Keith_M
22-10-2017, 09:14 AM
My kids are grown up now but when I took them to games when they were really young, I'm sure there was a family section at Hampden. I'm thinking specifically of the Semi Final against Aberdeen around 2001(?)

In saying that, we still had some people wandering into that section without kids and generally acting like wee fannies. No point having a family section if you then allow unrestricted access.

There was plenty room in Section A to have that as a dedicated family section yesterday....

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-10-2017, 09:23 AM
IMO there should be at least one block in a stadium where you can only buy an adult ticket if you purchase an accompanying child ticket.

Regardless of demand, one section is nothing. Say we won the league, the club wouldn't ditch our area because of success.

Children are the future, they should be able to attend a match without having to stand or have people around them who cannot complete a sentence without swearing (nothing wrong with the odd f here and there it's the ones who appear to have Tourettes I've an issue with)

matty_f
22-10-2017, 09:42 AM
DH & Matty
Sorry, I didn't mean to be dismissive of your point. :aok:

I think a family section should be available for those that want it, means that folk who want a more 'lively' experience can do so with others of a similar mindset.

Frazerbob
22-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Exact same issue happens at Scotland games in fact I’d say worse. I wrote to the SSC to complain after the Poland game a couple years ago. Not just the usual blootered Scotland fans and everyone standing meaning the Wee man couldn’t see but they allowed Polish fans in, many of whom were more drunk than you ever see at Hibs cup finals and a good few scraps. Family sections should be for families only. No adult tickets sold without a kid’s ticket.

Firestarter
22-10-2017, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure why there should be a family stand at the national stadium? Designated areas in club stadiums I agree with but not in one off games in semis and finals unless we get 30,000 tickets and have a family lock for specific games.

Frazerbob
22-10-2017, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure why there should be a family stand at the national stadium? Designated areas in club stadiums I agree with but not in one off games in semis and finals unless we get 30,000 tickets and have a family lock for specific games.

This thread tells you there should be. If we want to encourage families, we need to provide a family apropriate area both with regards price and standards of behaviour.

givescotlandfreedom
22-10-2017, 11:23 AM
I was in North C3 which had a fair amount of pillocks down the front. Already drunk folk who'd snuck in more alcohol falling about and more interested in shouting to each other than the game. Moved away to a fully empty row in C4 at half time which was better.

Firestarter
22-10-2017, 11:30 AM
This thread tells you there should be. If we want to encourage families, we need to provide a family apropriate area both with regards price and standards of behaviour.

Should families be given entitlement though? We encourage families to Easter Road with our family section but semis and finals are every man for themselves.

-Jonesy-
22-10-2017, 11:45 AM
DH & Matty
You know it's just water with a tiny tiny fraction of food grade flavouring right?

Kaff
22-10-2017, 11:51 AM
You know it's just water with a tiny tiny fraction of food grade flavouring right?

Don't particularly care what it is but I don't like being in clouds of it tbh, this isn't my point though. I asked him to stop and he did. My general point is that afterwards out of my earshot he was mumping that we should have been in the 'family section' but there isn't one so should there be?

Frazerbob
22-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Should families be given entitlement though? We encourage families to Easter Road with our family section but semis and finals are every man for themselves.

They won't get entitlement over others. Tickets will be sold to them as long as they meet the same chriteria as everyone else. I'm sure Hibs will have the figures to hand so will know how many tickets/sections will be needed for a reasonable family area.

hibby6270
22-10-2017, 11:57 AM
A Family Section would only work if it was properly “policed” by the stewards to ensure that those with correct tickets were entering i.e. 1 adult with 2 kids, 2 adult with 2 kids, or whatever combination.

Having said that, observing the stewards yesterday who were allegedly enforcing tighter security (LOL - that was a joke btw), there’s little or no chance it would work.

I was in the West and certainly plenty of what I would class as ‘families’ were round about where I sat. And surprisingly vast majority of the kids were actually watching and enjoying the game. One wee lad in full kit, Hibs hat on, scarf held high above his head, spent a lot of the game jumping around on the passageway like a good un.

Well done son!! (Not mine btw!!)

CMurdoch
22-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Unfortunately bampots have kids too, so no guarantee of decent spuds around you even with a family section.

Frazerbob
22-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Unfortunately bampots have kids too, so no guarantee of decent spuds around you even with a family section.

Very true. Did you see the Everton fan punch the Lyon keeper the other night, whilst holding his kid in his other arm? Idiot!

lord bunberry
22-10-2017, 12:58 PM
There absolutely should be an area where families can go to a game and not have to listen to people shouting and swearing for 90 mins. I sat in the so called family section at Easter Road for a year, and the language in there was worse than the East Stand.
Ive never really experienced anything particularly bad when taking my daughter to a game, and I doubt I’d sit in a dedicated family section, but I fully understand that some people might want to.

Bobby's Cinema
22-10-2017, 01:21 PM
I was in section B today and it was good, people singing and generally considerate of those around them. Plenty folk standing when the game was exciting but happy to sit again when it quietened down, so the kids round about us got to see the game no problem.

Saw the wee scuffle outside, Celtc fan walking to the Hibs fans chanting 'Celtic' was never going to get far before someone took exception to him, but it was handbags and over very quickly.

Good crowd on our bus as well, meant that despite the score it was a fairly enjoyable trip through.
:agree: That was my experience, first time we've switched from the North to behind the goals in ages and would sit there again

CMurdoch
22-10-2017, 02:30 PM

This, luck of the draw.
I sit in the East these days and previously was in the FF Lower with my son and the behaviour and language is probably less of an issue in the East than it was in the family section.
Amazing how badly some folk behave in the presence of their kids.

CMurdoch
22-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Very true. Did you see the Everton fan punch the Lyon keeper the other night, whilst holding his kid in his other arm? Idiot!

That guy has been banned. Total erse.
Imagine your wife's anger if you did that with your kid in your arms :confused::confused::confused: .

Mibbes Aye
22-10-2017, 03:01 PM
There absolutely should be an area where families can go to a game and not have to listen to people shouting and swearing for 90 mins. I sat in the so called family section at Easter Road for a year, and the language in there was worse than the East Stand.
Ive never really experienced anything particularly bad when taking my daughter to a game, and I doubt I’d sit in a dedicated family section, but I fully understand that some people might want to.

:agree:

I moved seats from from the West Upper towards the Dunbar end, to the West Lower by the home end because we were stuck a couple of seats away from an absolute roaster. His language wasn’t actually that bad, he just used to yell at anything, “Keeper’s ball” when it quite clearly wasn't, berating our players for any perceived misdemeanour, shouting at the officials even when they were clearly in the right.

His best was his attempts at singing along to “Runaway Sue”. He was always spectacularly incapable of coming up with the right words at the right time. Nevertheless he had a shout or exclamation for any incident, usually faulty too. Total car crash of a spectator.

My daughter is nine, I expect her to hear bad language at the football, I don’t like it but I accept it will happen. I know that I will be guilty of it in certain circumstances :greengrin

Not sure there needs to be a family section but it would be great if the club could sort a numpty-free section :greengrin

Frazerbob
22-10-2017, 03:09 PM
That guy has been banned. Total erse.
Imagine your wife's anger if you did that with your kid in your arms :confused::confused::confused: .

Did you see his excuse? I quote...."It was not intentional but I’d been too concentrated on screaming abuse at the players for being s***"

CMurdoch
22-10-2017, 04:57 PM
:agree:

I moved seats from from the West Upper towards the Dunbar end, to the West Lower by the home end because we were stuck a couple of seats away from an absolute roaster. His language wasn’t actually that bad, he just used to yell at anything, “Keeper’s ball” when it quite clearly wasn't, berating our players for any perceived misdemeanour, shouting at the officials even when they were clearly in the right.

His best was his attempts at singing along to “Runaway Sue”. He was always spectacularly incapable of coming up with the right words at the right time. Nevertheless he had a shout or exclamation for any incident, usually faulty too. Total car crash of a spectator.

My daughter is nine, I expect her to hear bad language at the football, I don’t like it but I accept it will happen. I know that I will be guilty of it in certain circumstances :greengrin

Not sure there needs to be a family section but it would be great if the club could sort a numpty-free section :greengrin

What about an ******** section at Easter Road?
If more than 5 folk reported you for being a dick, the club would move your season ticket to the South lower at East.
Obviously if you were then reported by your fellow dicks for being an ******** you would be sent out on loan to Edinburgh City on a supporter development loan.