PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon

hibbysam
21-10-2017, 08:07 PM
It’s an absolute travesty that man lost 4 goals today. Immense from start to finish today. Won everything and his range of passing is exemplary.

hibs#1
21-10-2017, 08:16 PM
It’s an absolute travesty that man lost 4 goals today. Immense from start to finish today. Won everything and his range of passing is exemplary.

Strangely I thought all of the back 4 played quite well today even though we conceded 4 goals.

Sammy7nil
21-10-2017, 08:21 PM

He played a big part in the opening goal he totally switched off thought Leigh would shoot the ball was played right to him he fluffed his clearance 5 secs later the ball was in the net.

Other than that he played well but has been far from flawless this season and made quite a few mistakes.

hibbysam
21-10-2017, 08:29 PM
He played a big part in the opening goal he totally switched off thought Leigh would shoot the ball was played right to him he fluffed his clearance 5 secs later the ball was in the net.

Other than that he played well but has been far from flawless this season and made quite a few mistakes.

You might want to watch it again, Paul Hanlon was in the wall. One of my gripes about Laidlaw, a free kick from 35 yards out and he put our two centre backs in the wall.

Id love you to point out his mistakes today, he wasn’t at fault for any the first two goals, and was up the park for the 4th. Dealt with Griffiths absolutely excellently, as well as Roberts and Sinclair when they got in behind.

calumhibee1
21-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Outstanding today.

Sammy7nil
21-10-2017, 08:34 PM
You might want to watch it again, Paul Hanlon was in the wall. One of my gripes about Laidlaw, a free kick from 35 yards out and he put our two centre backs in the wall.

Id love you to point out his mistakes today, he wasn’t at fault for any the first two goals, and was up the park for the 4th. Dealt with Griffiths absolutely excellently, as well as Roberts and Sinclair when they got in behind.

Should have gone to specsavers if that is the case who fluffed the clearance then ?

wookie70
21-10-2017, 08:34 PM

Surely who goes in a wall is a managers decision just like who picks up at set pieces. Goallies will be concentrating on the alignment of the wall not who stands in it. Having two centre halves in a wall seems a strange choice to me but then again not having men on posts at corners and zonal marking at set pieces seem odd to me too.

hibbysam
21-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Surely who goes in a wall is a managers decision just like who picks up at set pieces. Goallies will be concentrating on the alignment of the wall not who stands in it. Having two centre halves in a wall seems a strange choice to me but then again not having men on posts at corners and zonal marking at set pieces seem odd to me too.

It should come down to circumstance. Laidlaw decided how many, and it should be him that decides who goes in the wall. On the edge of the area like Griffiths’ first free kick then I’d have them in the wall, but from 35 yards out I want my keeper having as much a sight of the ball as possible, and my centre halves defending.

Libby Hibby
21-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Should have gone to specsavers if that is the case who fluffed the clearance then ?

Slivka

Sammy7nil
21-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Slivka

Should have guessed I thought he was like a man short the whole game. I know peeps say he is played out of position but I don't get the love in with this "fantastic " player.

My apologies to Paul :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
21-10-2017, 08:43 PM

Would agree with that. The captain on the pitch maybe has a role in trying to ensure players are in the right positions at set-pieces, but before they go on the field they should be clear about who is placed where. The skipper just reinforces that.

They would have been drilled about line-ups for direct and indirect kicks.

Mibbes Aye
21-10-2017, 08:49 PM
Should have guessed I thought he was like a man short the whole game. I know peeps say he is played out of position but I don't get the love in with this "fantastic " player.

My apologies to Paul :greengrin

This isn't a Slivka thread but seeing as you've brought him up - he's a very decent player, technically well-equipped.

He will grow into a game as the season goes on and he adjusts to Scottish football. Playing more centrally will help but that's NL's decision.

Sammy7nil
21-10-2017, 08:50 PM
This isn't a Slivka thread but seeing as you've brought him up - he's a very decent player, technically well-equipped.

He will grow into a game as the season goes on and he adjusts to Scottish football. Playing more centrally will help but that's NL's decision.

Glad to hear that as he currently offers very little.

Mibbes Aye
21-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Glad to hear that as he currently offers very little.

Would you drop him? If so, whom would you bring in and what shape?

Sammy7nil
21-10-2017, 09:07 PM
Would you drop him? If so, whom would you bring in and what shape?

He would not get in my team McGinn McGeoch are shoo in's and the other two in midfield would be would be Bartley and Swanson. We don't need shape let's just batter teams :greengrin

Hi Heid Yin
21-10-2017, 10:20 PM
He would not get in my team McGinn McGeoch are shoo in's and the other two in midfield would be would be Bartley and Swanson. We don't need shape let's just batter teams :greengrin

Funny, that is my preferred 4 too. Slivka might be technically gifted, but his impact has been minimal in most of the games he has played. To be fair, he is playing out of position, which does him no favours.

Onceinawhile
21-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Had the same thoughts. Martialed sparky all game and his distribution was fantastic. Some of his cross field balls were outrageous.

But.

We conceded 4 goals and he's a centre back, so he can't have played well.

adhibs
21-10-2017, 11:10 PM
Hes been superb this season. Its surely only a matter of time, and a decent manager, until hes first choice at cb for scotland

matty_f
21-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Hanlon is fantastic. Really underrated player but I think he is exceptional.

Roxyhibee
21-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Hanlon brilliant today - and last week too.

When is he going to get a victory his performance levels merit...?

Allant1981
22-10-2017, 07:19 AM
ive been very critical of hanlon previously but he is playing well at the moment, him and ambrose are a good CH partnership, both seem to stroll it most weeks

we are hibs
22-10-2017, 07:23 AM

Hanlon decided to challenge Ambrose for the same ball that lead to celtic's first goal, if he'd stayed where he was he'd have cleared it or Ambrose would've dealt with it. Apart from that I thought he was our second best player yesterday behind mcgeouch.

hibbysam
22-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Hanlon decided to challenge Ambrose for the same ball that lead to celtic's first goal, if he'd stayed where he was he'd have cleared it or Ambrose would've dealt with it. Apart from that I thought he was our second best player yesterday behind mcgeouch.

None of them would’ve cleared it as Boyata who is about 6 inches taller than them both only just got a nick on to it. Ambrose was always under it so Hanlon had to go and try and put pressure on the header.

bigwheel
22-10-2017, 08:20 AM
None of them would’ve cleared it as Boyata who is about 6 inches taller than them both only just got a nick on to it. Ambrose was always under it so Hanlon had to go and try and put pressure on the header.

you don't have to clear it though...you just have to put Boyata off enough so he doesn't get a good connection...I think it was Hanlon's area..Ambrose should have left it..

That said, these things happen in football

GoalsMcGinley
22-10-2017, 08:52 AM

Slivka

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2017, 09:01 AM

Absolute nonsense, he didnt get anywhere near the cross that Ambrose challenged for, and the ball dropped into the space where Hanlon should have stayed.

We didnt need 2 men to go for that cross.

Wiki has Ambrose taller than Boyata?

Sammy7nil
22-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Absolute nonsense, he didnt get anywhere near the cross that Ambrose challenged for, and the ball dropped into the space where Hanlon should have stayed.

Wiki has me at 12 stone :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2017, 09:11 AM
Wiki has me at 12 stone :greengrin

And we all know it's nearer 15. :greengrin

hibbysam
22-10-2017, 07:22 PM

There is not a man on this planet taller than Boyata lol, I couldn’t believe the size of him.

On a serious note, Ambrose was nowhere near it Hanlon didn’t affect him, but what he did do was put Boyata off enough so he didn’t get a clean header on it. At that point the man at the back post must tick around which he never done, and left lustig wrong side, and Laidlaw should’ve done better.

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2017, 07:27 PM
There is not a man on this planet taller than Boyata lol, I couldn’t believe the size of him.

On a serious note, Ambrose was nowhere near it Hanlon didn’t affect him, but what he did do was put Boyata off enough so he didn’t get a clean header on it. At that point the man at the back post must tick around which he never done, and left lustig wrong side, and Laidlaw should’ve done better.

Clearly you have not actually seen the incident, Hanlon jumped into thin air and affected nothing. Its Ambrose who stopped Boyata getting a clean header.

hibbysam
22-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Clearly you have not actually seen the incident, Hanlon jumped into thin air and affected nothing. Its Ambrose who stopped Boyata getting a clean header.

I’ve watched it time and time again and Efe is always under the ball. Here is the starting positions, Hanlon marking Boyata and seeing everything. He knew Boyata was favourite for it and had to make an intervention. Barker is also in a great position, but totally switched off which allowed Lustig loads of space.

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2017, 07:34 PM
I’ve watched it time and time again and Efe is always under the ball. Here is the starting positions, Hanlon marking Boyata and seeing everything. He knew Boyata was favourite for it and had to make an intervention. Barker is also in a great position, but totally switched off which allowed Lustig loads of space.

Look at the video of the game rather than a still picture, and tell me again who get the challenge in to block the header.

Hanlon made no intervention at all, he jumped into thin air and left the gap where the ball landed.

hibbysam
22-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Look at the video of the game rather than a still picture, and tell me again who get the challenge in to block the header.

I got the still photo from the video. Like I said I’ve watched it time and again Efe has a standing jump with the ball over his head, Boyata jumps with Hanlon up his arse putting him off. I can clearly see that, and also clearly see Barker switch off. If you think Efe’s standing jump affects Boyata then fair enough, the angle from behind the goal shows clearly Hanlons arm affecting Boyata, who is well above Ambrose.

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2017, 07:40 PM
I got the still photo from the video. Like I said I’ve watched it time and again Efe has a standing jump with the ball over his head, Boyata jumps with Hanlon up his arse putting him off. I can clearly see that, and also clearly see Barker switch off. If you think Efe’s standing jump affects Boyata then fair enough, the angle from behind the goal shows clearly Hanlons arm affecting Boyata, who is well above Ambrose.

Wasting my time.