PDA

View Full Version : SDG hooked or injured?

J-C
21-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Was he hooked at half time? Seemed to be off the boil today with his passing and general game play, could it be the end for him, I have heard Lennon's not a fan but doesn't like dropping the captain. Was his level the championship with the odd great game now and then. Not having a dig here just curious to hear people's thoughts.

cleanyman
21-10-2017, 03:35 PM
I love the man

This is the problem with the Scottish cup winning side. Sentiment over form ?

B.H.F.C
21-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Hooked. He was garbage.

hibee62
21-10-2017, 03:37 PM
He definitely stretched his left leg out a couple of times after a chase, not sure if it was still affecting him though!

greenlex
Hooked. Lennon really frustrated by him. To be fair Whittaker offered much more going forward albeit with the help of Boyle against Sinclair.

weecounty hibby
I think we has hooked. Wasn't playing well and let Lustig stroll past him for the second goal I think.

KWJ
21-10-2017, 03:41 PM
He did pull up after a 50/50. Maybe a bit of both.

FifeHibs
21-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Whittaker offers far more going forward.

Before the 2016 cup final David Gray as many of the Hibs team were lambasted when we were beaten by Raith Rovers at Starks Park 1-0
I'm afraid David Gray level is below the level Hibs want to be at. A legend yes but a starter in this team I'm afraid not.

Northernhibee
21-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Doesn't help when he can't get a run of games to prove himself or gain momentum.

Tyler Durden
21-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Aside from his part in the 2nd goal he did fine.

Whittaker has switched off at set pieces several times this season so I wouldn't say he's any more reliable. He is better going forward but for me personally I'd start Gray in the derby. He's been excellent every time against Hearts and sets the tone.

People claiming he's not Premier league quality are talking pish

Allant1981
21-10-2017, 03:57 PM
wasnt great today but to say he is below this level is just nosense, better defender than whittaker but whittaker a better player

S4uzee
21-10-2017, 03:57 PM
I thought he did OK ... opinions eh

hibee_girl
21-10-2017, 04:00 PM

I did too

Tyler Durden
21-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Was he hooked at half time? Seemed to be off the boil today with his passing and general game play, could it be the end for him, I have heard Lennon's not a fan but doesn't like dropping the captain. Was his level the championship with the odd great game now and then. Not having a dig here just curious to hear people's thoughts.

If Lennons not a fan why did he give Gray a 2 year deal?

hibee1875
21-10-2017, 04:16 PM
100% hooked.

Lennon so frustrated by him every time the the ball was played wide to him and he played it backwards instead of looking to take Tierny on or looking for a forward pass.

Whittaker offers so much more.

lord bunberry
21-10-2017, 04:21 PM
He was fine. I’d have him starting every week.

BSEJVT
21-10-2017, 05:35 PM
I thought he was very poor and it was an awful decision to start him.

He has IMO been poor in the limited appearances he has made this season.

He probably needs a run of games to get up to speed but I don't see him getting them short of a Whittaker injury.

Whittaker is a far more creative player and only a marginally poorer defender.

hibs#1
21-10-2017, 05:39 PM
Didn't think he was bad,did think Whittaker was a lot better though.

JimBHibees
21-10-2017, 05:43 PM
I did too

Thought he was fine gave ball away a couple of times but thought he defended ok and kept Sinclair quieter than he was in the second half. Lost lustig second goal but bread and butter save for the goalie.

The_Horde
21-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Found out on the ball at this level

Billy Whizz
21-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Maybe time for David to look at playing centre back

Pretty Boy
21-10-2017, 05:49 PM
I love the man but we improved massively on the right hand side when he was replaced. Not solely down to that one change but Whittaker utilised the space Tierney gave us far better than Gray did.

S4uzee
21-10-2017, 05:51 PM
I love the man but we improved massively on the right hand side when he was replaced. Not solely down to that one change but Whittaker utilised the space Tierney gave us far better than Gray did.

I honestly think some of the criticism is a bit OTT! It doesn’t help playing Slivka wide right, where he should never be played IMO. If someone is out wide you need pace

Pretty Boy
21-10-2017, 05:54 PM
I honestly think some of the criticism is a bit OTT! It doesn’t help playing Slivka wide right, where he should never be played IMO. If someone is out wide you need pace IMO

I agree Slivka is wasted out there. He looked much better when moved into the middle.

B.H.F.C
21-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Maybe time for David to look at playing centre back

Not for me, he's only 28 and hasn't looked any good in his natural position this year. I thought he was average, at best, for much of last year too.

As long as Whittaker is fit, Gray is really going to struggle for game time IMO.

IGRIGI
21-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Thought he lost his man at the 2nd goal but apart from that I didn't see much wrong with his performance.

Whittaker did offer a lot more when he came on so I'd be given him the start for the derby.

hibbydog
21-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Sir David Gray is always going to be solid, dependable and unspectacular. He was poor today though.

It’s very difficult not to let the events of 21.05.16 cloud our judgment. He is a cup final winning, last minute goal scoring legend.

And he can marry my daughter if he wants to...

Billy Whizz
21-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Not for me, he's only 28 and hasn't looked any good in his natural position this year. I thought he was average, at best, for much of last year too.

As long as Whittaker is fit, Gray is really going to struggle for game time IMO.

I think he could play in a 3, not in a 2

Tyler Durden
21-10-2017, 06:16 PM

Whittaker also had people to aim a cross at. Gray was getting the ball and could either aim for Stokes alone or turn back. That was down to our poor tactics.

Tyler Durden
21-10-2017, 06:17 PM
Found out on the ball at this level

Nonsense.

Was he found out on the ball in the past few years when we beat virtuall every top division team in the cups?

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Aside from his part in the 2nd goal he did fine.

Whittaker has switched off at set pieces several times this season so I wouldn't say he's any more reliable. He is better going forward but for me personally I'd start Gray in the derby. He's been excellent every time against Hearts and sets the tone.

People claiming he's not Premier league quality are talking pish

Bang on

familyman
21-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Whittaker also had people to aim a cross at. Gray was getting the ball and could either aim for Stokes alone or turn back. That was down to our poor tactics.
David G is perhaps off pace this season but leave him out at our peril, seems to me we still lack bodies in the box far too much, Danny Swanson could be a solution to that as more drive needed.
Certainly change goalkeeper for Tuesday!

Blaster
21-10-2017, 07:28 PM
I agree Slivka is wasted out there. He looked much better when moved into the middle.

He's certainly wasted on the right but slivka isn't better than mcgeouch, Bartley or mcginn. Not sure what everyone sees in him that I don't I am afraid

Hope he proves me wrong

Hi Heid Yin
21-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Was he hooked at half time? Seemed to be off the boil today with his passing and general game play, could it be the end for him?, I have heard Lennon's not a fan but doesn't like dropping the captain. Was his level the championship with the odd great game now and then. Not having a dig here just curious to hear people's thoughts.

Absolutely no way is it the end for our captain. He is integral to Neil Lennon's plans and a stalwart who just happens to have healthy competition for his place.
Stevenson, another stalwart, was also dropped recently. This happens

Fergos
21-10-2017, 07:36 PM
SDG was given too much of the ball in the first half in an attaching sense dUE to our midfielders not showing enough for the ball and he was the only out ball from the back 4. Lost count of the amount of times a high type diagonal ball was played out to him.

The real issue here was the middle of the park where up until the second half, when Dylan got a grip of it and Boyle came on, we had nothing creatively. It's been a constant feature this year to date.

Not going to be popular but outside of the 2-2 draw at parked McGinn has been poor also.....he needs to create a lot more and score a lot more too.......where's my tin hat.....

GGTTH

Hi Heid Yin
21-10-2017, 07:48 PM
SDG was given too much of the ball in the first half in an attaching sense dUE to our midfielders not showing enough for the ball and he was the only out ball from the back 4. Lost count of the amount of times a high type diagonal ball was played out to him.

The real issue here was the middle of the park where up until the second half, when Dylan got a grip of it and Boyle came on, we had nothing creatively. It's been a constant feature this year to date.

Not going to be popular but outside of the 2-2 draw at parked McGinn has been poor also.....he needs to create a lot more and score a lot more too.......where's my tin hat.....

GGTTH

I have been saying this for a long time. McGinn does not score enough goals or drive into the penalty area enough during games. He has it in his locker, but is either too lazy, or can't be bothered, or feels that he has done his wee bit of magic in midfield and can ease-off. It's infuriating to see someone with his potential fail to register consecutive games where he has performed outstandlingly and dragged us to victory. Scott Brown did this routinely and more regularly, thus his £4 million move to Celtic.

J-C
21-10-2017, 07:49 PM
If Lennons not a fan why did he give Gray a 2 year deal?

Only going by what I was told, hence why I was asking on here if anyone had heard similar, re his 2 year deal, was that maybe offered before Whittaker became available.

Absolutely no way is it the end for our captain. He is integral to Neil Lennon's plans and a stalwart who just happens to have healthy competition for his place.
Stevenson, another stalwart, was also dropped recently. This happens

He wasn't fantastic last season, decent but not fantastic and has hardly featured so far, plus being hooked at half time, the question has to be asked re his future at Hibs, just questioned that will need answers eventually.

greenlex
21-10-2017, 08:00 PM
I have been saying this for a long time. McGinn does not score enough goals or drive into the penalty area enough during games. He has it in his locker, but is either too lazy, or can't be bothered, or feels that he has done his wee bit of magic in midfield and can ease-off. It's infuriating to see someone with his potential fail to register consecutive games where he has performed outstandlingly and dragged us to victory. Scott Brown did this routinely and more regularly, thus his £4 million move to Celtic.
I’ve heard it all now. McGinn too lazy or can’t be bothered? 😂😂😂😂

Nicho87
21-10-2017, 09:12 PM

I thought slivka was even more in effective once he moved in personally

Ilovehibs
21-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Poor at the goal but otherwise thought Davy Gray did fine today. Works his socks off for the cause.

BSEJVT
21-10-2017, 09:18 PM

Congratulations

Without doubt the stupidest post in the history of Hibs Net.

As someone who has had his own fair share of contenders that's really saying something.

madabouthibs
21-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Whittaker is a better RB option attacking, SDG is a better defender, so it's a tricky one for Lennon. Hence, at 2-0 down Whittaker came on. Good decision. 👍

Hi Heid Yin
21-10-2017, 09:31 PM
I’ve heard it all now. McGinn too lazy or can’t be bothered? 😂😂😂😂

I did not state that McGinn was too lazy and can't be bothered. These were mere conjectures and not statements of fact and offered as alternative scenarios. I lean towards the third scenario/option that he feels that he has done enough in a deeper role and leaves the finishing job, ie score or create goals, to others.
If he would improve this aspect of his game we would have a £10 million player on our hands.

Hi Heid Yin
21-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Congratulations

Without doubt the stupidest post in the history of Hibs Net.

As someone who has had his own fair share of contenders that's really saying something.

Lol. Thanks for that.
I'm not sure what the competition is but putting me up there " in the entire history of Hibs.net" is a milestone for this Hibby.
Re-read the post and you will see that I offered 3 possible scenarios. The first two are possible and, unlikely, but the third is my guess/take on his failure to impact in the final third.

Dunbar Hibee
22-10-2017, 06:12 AM

Well he's definitely not 'too lazy' or 'can't be bothered', quite the opposite actually...

jeffers
22-10-2017, 07:06 AM
As others have said it's a difficult decision for NL. DG is a better defender but SW is far more effective going forward, he creates and scores goals. At the moment I'd have SW in ahead of DG.

As for SJM, he's not been anywhere near consistent enough. Against St Johnstone he was unplayable, and against Celtic in the league game after a poor first 15 minutes or so was excellent and showed what a player he can be. Yesterday I thought he was very poor, misplaced passes, lost possession didn't drive forward anywhere near enough. On his game I think he's our best midfielder, but too often this season he's not been on his game. I fully expect him to leave in January and at that point Slivka will hopefully get a chance to play in the middle in a more advanced role. Like others I think he is wasted out wide (as is McGeouch when he plays there) but I've seen enough to think he is a talent.

sadtom
22-10-2017, 07:33 AM
Both good players and a great headache for us to have.
SDG - better defender and no nonsense.
SW - better passer and better going forward.
Think Lennon made the correct call. We wanted to be in the game at half time, so opting for the better defender of the 2 was probably the correct decision. just unfortunate a couple of lapses in concentration and individual errors cost us dear. However we never looked in any great trouble in the first half, kept the ball well (without too much of a threat) and had a solid shape about us.
Once we had gone 2 down, Lennon again made the right call, IMHO, and had to play the SW who offers more going forward. We were chasing the game so that became a no brainer.
I think the gaffer called it correct in both starting SDG then changing it to SW when a 'riskier' approach was required.
I hope we keep both players happy. Over the season both will be needed.
My tendency would be to to start Gray in games against the better sides (especially away) and change it if need be during the game. But would prefer to see SW start the games where we are more likely to dominate possession. If in those games we take a lead and then come under more pressure, the option is to bring SDG on to see out the game and make as a bit more solid.
If we go with a 3 at the back then i think it would always favour SW to do the 'wingback' role.
Very much horses for courses our options at right back this season IMHO.

bigwheel
22-10-2017, 08:16 AM
after watching the highlights for the first time this morning...Gray was marking Lustig for the second goal...and lost him. I wonder if that was one of the factors that got him hooked..

eastcoasthibby
22-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Gray had a decent.first season and as someone said earlier has had a few good games but his general performances are not near the level we.need. He gives little I sit in the East and watch him closely when he plays and get so frustrated, he often has acres of space and doesn't ask for.the ball, if he gets forward his crossing is poor and then his ability to burst a gut to get back is lacking ! And also has been said I can think of too many occassions where he has been taken apart by wide players with a bit of pace ...he just.doesnt.seem.to have the.old.desire.or capability and has been living of a cup winning.goal ..

ancient hibee
22-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Gray started because Whittaker has an injury.Gray is a steady player but clearly does not have Whittaker’srange of passing.

MWHIBBIES
22-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Strange that I was called the biggest slaver on here a few months back for saying Gray wasn't that great. Don't think he was massively at fault yesterday tbh but Whittaker is clearly better.