PDA

View Full Version : Griffiths / Shaw

Carheenlea
21-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Leigh Griffiths received a bigger standing ovation in the Hibs stands when he was substituted than Oli Shaw, an exciting up and coming youngster coming on to make his Hampden debut - come on guys, WTF was that all about?

Frazerbob
21-10-2017, 01:38 PM
And a rendition of 1 of our own. Unreal.

Joe6-2
21-10-2017, 01:40 PM
Not great, but it's as much to wind up septic as anything else!

MWHIBBIES
21-10-2017, 01:41 PM
Embarrassing. More support for him than some Hibs players. The guy is a celtic player, nothing more. Had a good loan spell here but come on, isnt even close to a legend like Lewis, Stokes, Deeks etc.

easty
21-10-2017, 01:41 PM
I love Griffiths, but no chance I was getting involved in that singing.

Steve20
21-10-2017, 01:45 PM
That was a joke singing for Griffiths. Embarrassing for a Celtic player.

jacomo
21-10-2017, 01:45 PM

:agree:

Isn't being a spectator about trying to influence the game in whatever way you can? Showering an opposition player with affection can sometimes be more effective than giving them abuse.

Kojock
21-10-2017, 01:47 PM

Isn't being a spectator about trying to influence the game in whatever way you can? Showering an opposition player with affection can sometimes be more effective than giving them abuse.

Eh he was leaving the field of play at the time and could no longer influence the game.

Pretty Boy
21-10-2017, 01:53 PM
I gave him a clap. Guy was a shining light at a pretty crap time for Hibs.

I was also capable of giving Shaw a good ovation.

Johnny Clash
21-10-2017, 01:55 PM
That was a joke singing for Griffiths. Embarrassing for a Celtic player.

It was done intentionally although I’d say more uncomfortable for the Celtc support who idolise a hibby. Some of them would love to re-write history and claim him so I thought the singing was fine!

Griffiths also clapped the very vocal Hibs support at the end of the game too and NOT in a patronising way. Can’t understand why a handful of folk get all upset about things like this. Just chill FFS

supermcginn
21-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Leigh Griffiths received a bigger standing ovation in the Hibs stands when he was substituted than Oli Shaw, an exciting up and coming youngster coming on to make his Hampden debut - come on guys, WTF was that all about?

Wonder what our players thought when they heard Griffith's ovation, totally bizarre

Onceinawhile
Thought it was odd. Much like singing about Mark Warburton and Andy halliday.

bigstu
We all like Lee Griffiths, get over it. You don't have to hate every opposing player

bigstu
21-10-2017, 01:57 PM
It was done intentionally although I’d say more uncomfortable for the Celtc support who idolise a hibby. Some of them would love to re-write history and claim him so I thought the singing was fine!

Griffiths also clapped the very vocal Hibs support at the end of the game too and NOT in a patronising way. Can’t understand why a handful of folk get all upset about things like this. Just chill FFS

Exactly

DTS
21-10-2017, 01:58 PM
I refuse to ever sing a name of an opposition player in the 90 mins. One of our own? Yes. Did he want us to lose today? Yes. So as far as I’m concerned for the 90 mins today he was not “one of us”

Pretty Boy
21-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Wonder what our players thought when they heard Griffith's ovation, totally bizarre

They probably never noticed or didn't care.

Johnny Clash
21-10-2017, 01:59 PM

They probably thought it was a bit cheeky of the Hibees to remind their Celtc counter parts that they love a hibby!

Like we remind them who first wore the green and what team they’d likely all support had it not been for Hibernian FC!

Carheenlea
21-10-2017, 02:04 PM
We all like Lee Griffiths, get over it. You don't have to hate every opposing player

I too like Leigh Griffiths, but what perplexed me was that the same folk near me who were on their feet to applaud him off were sat motionless when Shaw took the field. Didn't do him any harm of course, as we were all on our feet a minute later.

bigstu
21-10-2017, 02:16 PM
I too like Leigh Griffiths, but what perplexed me was that the same folk near me who were on their feet to applaud him off were sat motionless when Shaw took the field. Didn't do him any harm of course, as we were all on our feet a minute later.

As you say, did no harm.

Hopefully he will play for Hibs again one day. Great player & big Hibby.

California-Hibs
21-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Nothing wrong with it at all. I enjoy Celtic fans being reminded they idolize a Hibee. He gave us many wonderful moments, has NEVER been disrespectful on or off the pitch since he left, which can’t be said for others. Hopefully we see him back at his club one day. Love the guy!

He’s one of our own! 🎵

hibee_girl
21-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Some of Celtic fans raging at Griffiths on twitter for not trying today, a few telling him to come back to us :greengrin

smithy_hibees
21-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Unsure what the problem is?
Do we need hate/like every player? Fans boo our own players etc did Sparky look like he wanted play against us today? Not really tbh Celtic fans giving him stick cause he didn't play well,
Hes a Hibs fan whom still goes to Hibs games btw earning a lot more money than we can offer, would he be playing for Scotland if with us? just look at McGinn will McGinn leave? Yes
Griffiths says how much he respects Hibs so cant fans respect him?

Franck Stanton
21-10-2017, 02:33 PM
Some of Celtic fans raging at Griffiths on twitter for not trying today, a few telling him to come back to us :greengrin

Hope Rodgers listens to them then.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-10-2017, 02:34 PM
Let's not get upset about it.

Keith_M
21-10-2017, 02:36 PM
I thought our support was thanking him for not trying a leg today. I didn't join in but I can't say it bothered me too much.

I thought the backing we gave the team was immense, considering our relatively small numbers and the fact we were second best most of the 90 minutes.

CB_NO3
21-10-2017, 02:38 PM

Exactly. Griffiths is a bigger Hibs fan than half the balloons on this forum.

Billychaotic182
21-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Hibs fans singing about a hibs fan and hibs fans raging about hibs fans.....

IlDiavola
21-10-2017, 02:47 PM

Exactly.

It's not going to go down well with our current personnel.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Love Sparky.

Love Ollie Shaw.

IGRIGI
21-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Griffiths was humpty today, Hibs MOTM for me and well deserving of the chant 😆

SanFranHibs
21-10-2017, 02:52 PM
I love Griffiths, but no chance I was getting involved in that singing.

Just how I would have felt had I been there.

Blaster
21-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Is that the biggest concern after today?

Carheenlea
21-10-2017, 02:54 PM
This isn't about having to "hate" players. My gripe is the simple fact of a Celtic player receiving a bigger ovation than a Hibs player during the game. Baffling.

easty
21-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Exactly. Griffiths is a bigger Hibs fan than half the balloons on this forum.

Which half?

B.H.F.C
21-10-2017, 03:04 PM
This isn't about having to "hate" players. My gripe is the simple fact of a Celtic player receiving a bigger ovation than a Hibs player during the game. Baffling.

I agree. Actually singing for a player in the opposition team, during a semi final, when you've just got back in to the game isn't for me.

IlDiavola
21-10-2017, 03:08 PM
I agree. Actually singing for a player in the opposition team, during a semi final, when you've just got back in to the game isn't for me.

Very odd behaviour but each to their own.

wookie70
21-10-2017, 03:14 PM
I appreciate the one of our own chant may have been to wind the Celtc fans up but I don't think I have ever been more embarrassed as a Hibs fans. He is a badge kissing Celtic player now and to chant adoringly at a player who is playing for the opposition, in a game that will see us knocked out of a cup competition, is ridiculous as far as I am concerned.

MWHIBBIES
21-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Exactly. Griffiths is a bigger Hibs fan than half the balloons on this forum.Unless half the forum kiss other clubs badges then no, he isn't.

IlDiavola
21-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Unless half the forum kiss other clubs badges then no, he isn't.

:thumbsup:

Billy Whizz
21-10-2017, 03:30 PM
Oli got a good reception when he came on

Sir David Gray
21-10-2017, 03:31 PM
I personally didn't clap him and it was a wee bit cringey but each to their own as they say.

CB_NO3
21-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Unless half the forum kiss other clubs badges then no, he isn't.

I would kiss you for 10k a week.

lord bunberry
21-10-2017, 03:49 PM
I was singing when he went off. It was more winding up the Celtic fans than anything else. People need to chill out a bit.

Iceman1875
21-10-2017, 03:50 PM
I did clap him and if Liam Henderson played today and came across near the end, I would have acknowledged him too. I love LG and the fact he’s such a big Hibee and even more so that he doesn’t hide it.

GREAT to see Shaw get his first goal, looking forward to seeing more of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Famous Fiver
21-10-2017, 04:07 PM
CB No 3 take a bow. Nail right on the head.

Some of anti hibs wallopers on here should be ashamed of themselves.

I thought we got behind our team today and gave as good as we got on the terraces.

HibernianJK
21-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Does anyone actually think Celtic fans care? Pathetic from those who sang and should have been focussing on supporting OUR players rather than the ones playing for the opposition.

lord bunberry
21-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Does anyone actually think Celtic fans care? Pathetic from those who sang and should have been focussing on supporting OUR players rather than the ones playing for the opposition.
Pathetic!! I bet you’re a riot at parties :rolleyes:. It was a song sung for a bit of a laugh, get over yourself.

CB_NO3
21-10-2017, 06:09 PM
CB No 3 take a bow. Nail right on the head.

Some of anti hibs wallopers on here should be ashamed of themselves.

I thought we got behind our team today and gave as good as we got on the terraces.

As we always do mate. Dont wind up tory.net though

we are hibs
21-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Weren't we 3-1 down when Shaw came on? People probably felt deflated thinking the game was done that's why he didn't get a massive reception. Played well when he came and his run and finish was excellent.

Pretty Boy
21-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Exactly.

It's not going to go down well with our current personnel.

Pish. When there's a few seconds break in the game the players aren't standing about trying to work out what the fans are singing. People massively overplay how much players actually hear from the crowd.

Aside from that it seems Hibs were very happy with the support they received today.

Paisley Hibby
21-10-2017, 06:30 PM

This and nowt else. The wee smelly lambs can't bear to think that one of their players might like another club more than theirs.

Ryan91
21-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Weren't we 3-1 down when Shaw came on? People probably felt deflated thinking the game was done that's why he didn't get a massive reception. Played well when he came and his run and finish was excellent.

I will openly admit to initially being thoroughly confused as to why Shaw was brought on instead of Simon Murray, but all credit to Oli Shaw, he came on and scored with pretty much his first touch, and almost got a second not long after.

He teamed up well with Stokes and showed that Stokes needs to have a strike partner with him to be at his most effective.

As such, gotta be 2 up front on Tuesday

hibs#1
21-10-2017, 08:15 PM
I thought the hibs fans were great today very loud considering we were getting most of the game.

As for the Griffiths chant I thought it was sung to wind up the celtic fans not that I think they would care

Greatest fans in the world my hole anyway.

houstonhibbee
21-10-2017, 08:22 PM
I will openly admit to initially being thoroughly confused as to why Shaw was brought on instead of Simon Murray, but all credit to Oli Shaw, he came on and scored with pretty much his first touch, and almost got a second not long after.

He teamed up well with Stokes and showed that Stokes needs to have a strike partner with him to be at his most effective.

As such, gotta be 2 up front on Tuesday
If he's good enough to be on the bench then surely he is good enough to come on as a sub?

Lennon said that apart from his free scoring form he was showing up well in training and at some point has to be given an opportunity to keep him mentally switched on. Cant argue with any of that.

JimBHibees
21-10-2017, 08:27 PM

Agree totally was bizarre. Polite applause would have done.

wookie70
21-10-2017, 08:29 PM

I would have settled for that if it was from Celtic fans I would rather we did nothing.

SideBurns
21-10-2017, 08:48 PM
Sparky played a major part in getting us to back-to-back SC cup finals (two winners in semi-finals) and was generally fantastic over his loan spells.

He deserved his round of applause and adulation from the Hibs support when he left the field; he has never disrespected, or hidden his love for, our club (despite the fact that this obviously doesn't go down well with the Celtic support).

That some Hibbies can't seem to see this says more about them than it does about Griffiths.

lord bunberry
21-10-2017, 08:49 PM

It’s a fluid situation and it felt right at the time. There’s no need to over analyse it.

vuefrom1875
21-10-2017, 09:03 PM
And a rendition of 1 of our own. Unreal.

Loved it... Didn't go down well with the weege 😀😀😀

Tommy75
21-10-2017, 09:11 PM
I have to agree with those who expressed their embarrassment at singing "he' one of our own" to Griffiths. A bizarre show of support for a player who was playing against Hibs in a semi-final at Hampden. I don't buy this whole "aye but it wind up the Celc fans" line either. Doubt they really care tbh apart from a few daftys on Twitter.

The only player in the Celtic ranks worthy of an applause today would have been Liam Henderson.

weecounty hibby
21-10-2017, 09:14 PM
It probably wound up more Hibs fans than celtic fans. Really thought it was a bit crap. If he ever plays for us again I will be over the moon, until then he is a celtic player and won't get any applause or songs from me

Diclonius
21-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Shaw came on when it was 1-3. Griffiths came off when it was 2-3.

The state of the game affects the mentality of the fans. If the subs had swapped timing it would have been very different.

B.H.F.C
21-10-2017, 10:05 PM
Shaw came on when it was 1-3. Griffiths came off when it was 2-3.

The state of the game affects the mentality of the fans. If the subs had swapped timing it would have been very different.

Griffiths came off at 2-1, not long after we scored the penalty. We should have been singing for our own players instead of him at that point. Probably wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference but singing his name wasn't for me.

Dunbar Hibee
22-10-2017, 06:06 AM
sorry, but IMO, that was really embarrassing.

Earlydelivery
22-10-2017, 06:26 AM
Sparky never tried a leg

murray26
22-10-2017, 06:32 AM
We should save singing like this for true Hibbys like Danny Swanson.. embarrassing behaviour.

jeffers
22-10-2017, 06:41 AM
I'm surprised how many people are bothered about this. LG is a Hibs fan, has never hid his love for the club and attends our games when he can. He's one of the most exciting forwards I've seen in a Hibs jersey and gave me some of the most memorable moments I've experienced watching us. So when he went off yesterday I applauded him, I didn't sing but have no issues with that either. Should we not show appreciation for former players ? David Wotherspoon received a lot of applause when he got subbed against us recently and if any of the cup final team were to play against us I'd applaud them too.

Paisley Hibby
22-10-2017, 08:30 AM
I'm surprised how many people are bothered about this. LG is a Hibs fan, has never hid his love for the club and attends our games when he can. He's one of the most exciting forwards I've seen in a Hibs jersey and gave me some of the most memorable moments I've experienced watching us. So when he went off yesterday I applauded him, I didn't sing but have no issues with that either. Should we not show appreciation for former players ? David Wotherspoon received a lot of applause when he got subbed against us recently and if any of the cup final team were to play against us I'd applaud them too.
A sensible post. I also liked the fact he applauded the Hibs fans at the end - despite knowing that doing so probably wouldn't go down well with Celtic fans (mind you, most were already on their way out of the stadium).