PDA

View Full Version : Laidlaw

madhatter
21-10-2017, 12:02 PM
Unfortunately not good enough. Celtic have had 2 shots and both pretty weak and he couldn’t manage to get strong enough hands on them.

Marciano guaranteed back in next game.

spudhib
21-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Shame he’s no much better if at all.

Northernhibee
He's a very good backup keeper but in games like this Marciano should be starting.

SRHibs
Never really rated him but to be fair he’s been solid the past few games. Marciano definitely the better option.

Callum_62
21-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Bottle crashed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones28
Goalie having a bad game - Hibs.net lynch mob shockeroony

Pete
Get him hooked at half time.

The two goals should have been saved and Rocky probably would have.

What’s the point of defending soundly if your keeper does that? ****ing brutal.

cleanyman
21-10-2017, 12:07 PM
He's crashed and burned today

However, he shouldn't have been playing today

Swedish hibee
21-10-2017, 12:08 PM
I don't rate Rocky. I don't rate Laidlaw either. However I would've played Laidlaw today but he's had a shocker.

Deansy
21-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Laidlaw has been a good back-up goalie but today's performance will see Rocky back on Tuesday !

Hibee87
Cant blame lennon for starting him when he has done nothing wrong up till today. The gloves are/were his to keep. Unfortutly for us this appears to be the day he loses them

ArmadaleHibs

It’s not a lynch mob mate, it’s opinions based on what we’ve all seen

madhatter
21-10-2017, 12:10 PM

Hardly lynch mob. It’s not just a bad game. The 2nd goal is an embarrassing mistake.

Also those that say Marciano isn’t much better must be on something! He’s an international goalkeeper and makes good saves. I don’t have much confidence in laidlaw saving shots, today has reinforced my concerns.

He’s a decent enough number 2 but he is not a number 1 at this level.

OxoHibby
21-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Get him hooked at half time.

The two goals should have been saved and Rocky probably would have.

What’s the point of defending soundly if your keeper does that? ****ing brutal.

Laidlaw could have done better. 2nd a bad mistake but defending soundly? Lustig left alone at back post twice

Beefster
21-10-2017, 12:12 PM
There have been a few players, if not most of them, playing utter pish. Seems a bit unfair to ignore them and just highlight the guy whose mistakes inevitably leads to goals conceded.

Baader
21-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Unfortunate and should be doing better but didn't get much help from the defence at both goals.

Pete
21-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Laidlaw could have done better. 2nd a bad mistake but defending soundly? Lustig left alone at back post twice

We’ve done well to restrict them and our game plan would be working if he’d saved those shots.

Ok the defending wasn’t the best for the first but it’s piss weak hands.

Swedish hibee
21-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Hardly lynch mob. It’s not just a bad game. The 2nd goal is an embarrassing mistake.

Also those that say Marciano isn’t much better must be on something! He’s an international goalkeeper and makes good saves. I don’t have much confidence in laidlaw saving shots, today has reinforced my concerns.

We all have watched Rocky make mistakes in a Hibs jersey too. Our keepers have both been poor under Lennon.

mentalhibee
21-10-2017, 12:14 PM
A guy that couldn’t get a game for Raith Rovers, enough said.

wookie70
Ross has been very good until today and Barker and Gray also had a big part to play in their goals. If they had done their jobs Ross wouldn't have had a save to make. The two outfield players who Lennon brought in heavily involved in both Celtic goals. Why change the defense yet again. I presume Whittaker must be fit as he is on the bench

GreenNWhiteArmy
The biggest thing for me is the way Ofir was treated after what, a couple of mistakes? The fans making out as if he's *****.

He's our number one. An international GK.

Laidlaw is a more than adequate back up. He's made a couple of mistakes today but if the defenders of the crosses done their job the ball would have been nowhere near him

HarpyHibby
He's a very good backup keeper but in games like this Marciano should be starting.

Yep. International keeper and more experience.

Beefster
21-10-2017, 12:15 PM
We’ve done well to restrict them and our game plan would be working if he’d saved those shots.

Ok the defending wasn’t the best for the first but it’s piss weak hands.

It’s piss weak defending from Barker and Gray before it gets anywhere near the keeper. If they’d done their job, the game plan would be working.

Beefster
21-10-2017, 12:16 PM
The biggest thing for me is the way Ofir was treated after what, a couple of mistakes?

Marciano was dropped for Yom Kippur afaik. Nothing to do with mistakes.

madhatter
21-10-2017, 12:16 PM
Defending at both goals was pretty poor but Laidlaw 100% should’ve done better at both goals. He is fortunate that Svilar (Benfica goalkeeper) made a worse mistake this week but that 2nd goal reminds me of Makalambay and other such goalkeepers.

Laidlaws hands flops at both goals and neither shot had power, that is very worrying for a goalkeeper. Should have strong wrists and make sure that he gets the ball away from the goal, not weak wrists that mean he barely deviated the balls course.

Northernhibee
21-10-2017, 12:17 PM
The biggest thing for me is the way Ofir was treated after what, a couple of mistakes? The fans making out as if he's *****.

He's our number one. An international GK.

Laidlaw is a more than adequate back up. He's made a couple of mistakes today but if the defenders of the crosses done their job the ball would have been nowhere near him

This is why the "You can't blame Lennon for starting him" and "They're his gloves untill he makes a mistake" stuff doesn't wash with me. Laidlaw was always going to be more likely to make a mistake in a game like this.

You make the big and potentially unpopular decision to start Marciano and you're at worst 1-0 down just now, maybe even 0-0. You can't shirk responsibility for big decisions.

Pete
It’s piss weak defending from Barker and Gray before it gets anywhere near the keeper. If they’d done their job, the game plan would be working.

I’m sorry but this is Celtic and they’re going to create chances and have shots. They’ve had two and scored two that the keeper has got his hands to.

most of the blame lies at Laidlaws feet...or hands.

GreenNWhiteArmy
Marciano was dropped for Yom Kippur afaik. Nothing to do with mistakes.

I'm talking about from the fans. Not team selection.

Ross was given the RC game as a warm up for Celtic. Ofir should have come back in after that imo

Fans reaction particularly after the Motherwell game was over the top. Probably how some will be towards Laidlaw after today. I've already read he's ***** and a huddy

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-10-2017, 12:18 PM
This is why the "You can't blame Lennon for starting him" and "They're his gloves untill he makes a mistake" stuff doesn't wash with me. Laidlaw was always going to be more likely to make a mistake in a game like this.

You make the big and potentially unpopular decision to start Marciano and you're at worst 1-0 down just now, maybe even 0-0. You can't shirk responsibility for big decisions.

Agree 100%

madhatter
We all have watched Rocky make mistakes in a Hibs jersey too. Our keepers have both been poor under Lennon.

Marciano has made some very very good saves for us though. Laidlaw has been ok in games we’ve dominated and makes ok saves. Marciano is an international goalkeeper for a reason. Laidlaw is nowhere near getting capped for Scotland for a reason.

Jones28

The first goal is poor defending, not poor goalkeeping. The second is a mistake but it's hardly worth all the fuss, mistakes have been made all over the park.

scooby
21-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Dreadful defending for both goals, but both shots were scuffed, and Laidlaw should have done better with the first and should have saved the 2nd.

Hibbyradge
21-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Defending at both goals was pretty poor but Laidlaw 100% should’ve done better at both goals. He is fortunate that Svilar (Benfica goalkeeper) made a worse mistake this week but that 2nd goal reminds me of Makalambay and other such goalkeepers.

Laidlaws hands flops at both goals and neither shot had power, that is very worrying for a goalkeeper. Should have strong wrists and make sure that he gets the ball away from the goal, not weak wrists that mean he barely deviated the balls course.

He wasn't at fault for the first goal.

If you want to blame someone, Slicks should have cleared the free kick.

Silky
21-10-2017, 12:20 PM

True. But the keeper is the last line. They are there when there has been piss poor defending to keep the ball out the net. Gordon is a good example of that. Laidlaw should have done better.

Jones28
Marciano has made some very very good saves for us though. Laidlaw has been ok in games we’ve dominated and makes ok saves. Marciano is an international goalkeeper for a reason. Laidlaw is nowhere near getting capped for Scotland for a reason.

Laidlaw made several good saves at Celtic park to contribute to a great result.

Speedy

Agree to an extent. Laidlaw isn't good enough so this was inevitable.

On the other hand Rocky was on poor form so needs to know he's droppable.

Rocky back in now without question.

madhatter
21-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Laidlaw made several good saves at Celtic park to contribute to a great result.

Honestly isn’t worth the argument.

If some fans think a goalkeeper that was the Raith Rovers backup is on-par or better than the Israeli International goalkeeper then it’s not worth discussing further...

Swedish hibee
21-10-2017, 12:24 PM

I don't think getting capped for Scotland proves anything!! I'll have some of what your drinking😂😂😂 Let's see what we're made off in the 2nd half..

SingaporeHibs
21-10-2017, 12:25 PM
I think Laidlaw will lose his place on the 2nd goal alone. However, our entire Defence was shocking at both goals, all over the place. Not picking up runs, not winning headers, shockingly bad at the back post twice. Laidlaw hung out to dry by the players in front of him. Back to Rocky.

madhatter
21-10-2017, 12:27 PM
He wasn't at fault for the first goal.

If you want to blame someone, Slicks should have cleared the free kick.

He was at fault for the first goal as well. I agree that others have to take blame as well but the 1st goal had little power behind the shot and again the hand he got on to it was woefully weak.

Goalkeeper is a brutal position to play in so I have sympathy for Ross but I have no confidence in him being our final line of defence. He seems awkward and maybe lacks confidence or something.

Jones28
21-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Honestly isn’t worth the argument.

If some fans think a goalkeeper that was the Raith Rovers backup is on-par or better than the Israeli International goalkeeper then it’s not worth discussing further...

Ok then, I won't waste your time any further 👍

madhatter
21-10-2017, 12:31 PM
I don't think getting capped for Scotland proves anything!! I'll have some of what your drinking😂😂😂 Let's see what we're made off in the 2nd half..

You’ve sort of just emphasised my point...being capped by Scotland doesn’t prove that you are a good player but clearly Craig Gordon is better than Laidlaw.

He’s an able replacement for Marciano when he’s injured etc. He is not close to being good enough to be our number 1.

sleeping giant
21-10-2017, 12:58 PM
great save there

Callum_62
21-10-2017, 01:05 PM
His fault for the 4th too.

Altho sinclair was offside as he made a movement towards the ball. 100%

Andy74
21-10-2017, 01:09 PM
A lesson in sticking with what you believed be to be first choice keeper.

Heisenberg
21-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Marciano has to be back on Tuesday.

ozwoody
21-10-2017, 01:30 PM
first goal, he's having to change direction quickly on a wet surface but should have got a stronger hand to it.second goal was avoidable, dived too early then had to reposition hands, a very rookie mistake.He also flapped at a couple of set pieces and you could see the defence had lost confidence in him.
Good back up keeper but Rocky must be in for the derby

Swedish hibee
21-10-2017, 01:31 PM
A lesson in sticking with what you believed be to be first choice keeper.

We'd never have won the Scottish cup with that lesson. Some decisions you win, some you loose.

Pretty Boy
21-10-2017, 01:32 PM
2nd is a shocker. 4th he's come wandering for no reason that I can work out.

Harsh to blame him for the 1st imo.

Danderhall Hibs
21-10-2017, 01:33 PM

He’s not fully to blame for the 1st but he could’ve done better.

hibee_girl
21-10-2017, 01:37 PM

So could Barker though

Sir David Gray
21-10-2017, 01:37 PM

He wasn't to blame for the first but the second was horrific.

Pretty Boy
21-10-2017, 01:38 PM

Ball back across him, has to shift his weight, close range, slick surface.

A really good keeper saves it. Average ones might save it some of the time.

cleanyman
21-10-2017, 01:41 PM
Stokes was going mental at him for the 4th.

Says it all

adhibs
21-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Ive never understood how hes so well rated on here, even as a back up keeper. He chucked plenty goals when called upon in the championship, and done so again today. Worrying thing is marciano has also looked suspect this season.

WhileTheChief..
21-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Decent back up.

Rocky is our no. 1 and rightly so.

RyeSloan
21-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Ball back across him, has to shift his weight, close range, slick surface.

A really good keeper saves it. Average ones might save it some of the time.

Sums it up perfectly

Danderhall Hibs
21-10-2017, 02:13 PM
So could Barker though

:agree: and Stevenson

Future17
21-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Laidlaw was poor and at fault (along with others) for three goals today. If you're going to beat a team like Celtc you can't give away cheap goals.

The problem we have is that, whilst picking Laidlaw was a gamble, picking Marciano would have been as well. Aberdeen semi last season?

where'stheslope
21-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Funny how Laidlaw's saves from Demele are not taken into consideration as he saved embarrassment of both Hanlon and Ambrose who completely lost him?

Its easy to pick on the keeper for mistakes, but other players were at fault to let the shots happen in the first place for the goals!

Never been happy with no one at the posts at corners, could maybe have prevented both of the first two goals!!!

JK Rolling
21-10-2017, 03:00 PM

He's pish.

Captain Trips
21-10-2017, 03:35 PM
I think Laidlaw is a good goalie aye he made some mistakes today but he will hopefully learn from them. I do prefer Rocky but not as fussed as some over Laidlaw.

Borderhibbie76
21-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Ive never understood how hes so well rated on here, even as a back up keeper. He chucked plenty goals when called upon in the championship, and done so again today. Worrying thing is marciano has also looked suspect this season.

No he hasn't but u carry on with bashing out players...this place annoys the hell outta me when we lose

lord bunberry
21-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Lennon needs to decide who his number 1 is and stick with it. Laidlaw wasn’t at his best today, but that’s just the way it goes when you’re a goalkeeper. Chopping and changing doesn’t really help.

Vini1875
21-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Lennon has given him a chance and so keeps the player motivated while letting Rocky know that he has to perform in order to keep his position. I think Laidlaw is a decent second keeper, but he had an off day today.

Beefster
21-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Lennon needs to decide who his number 1 is and stick with it. Laidlaw wasn’t at his best today, but that’s just the way it goes when you’re a goalkeeper. Chopping and changing doesn’t really help.

That’s exactly what Lennon is trying to avoid by not dropping Laidlaw as soon as Marciano was ready to play again.

lord bunberry
21-10-2017, 04:30 PM
That’s exactly what Lennon is trying to avoid by not dropping Laidlaw as soon as Marciano was ready to play again.
I agree, but the clamour for change starts every time one of them has a bad game.

Andy74
21-10-2017, 05:06 PM

Not really. Marciano is number 1 and wasn’t really dropped. When he was back he should have gone back in.

famousfife
21-10-2017, 05:08 PM
Got absolutely no confidence in our goalkeepers at all. Positioning for shots is terrible, commanding their area brutal, coming for crosses non existent. Distribution ( hit and hope) shocking.A decent goalkeeper can save us 10 to 15 points a season. What worries me is what they do at training? I don't see any improvements from week to week, if that's what I see and feel, I wonder what our defenders think.

lord bunberry
21-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Got absolutely no confidence in our goalkeepers at all. Positioning for shots is terrible, commanding their area brutal, coming for crosses non existent. Distribution ( hit and hope) shocking.A decent goalkeeper can save us 10 to 15 points a season. What worries me is what they do at training? I don't see any improvements from week to week, if that's what I see and feel, I wonder what our defenders think.
They probably think you’re talkping pish. Both of them are good goalkeepers.

Beefster
21-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Not really. Marciano is number 1 and wasn’t really dropped. When he was back he should have gone back in.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with tbh.

I'm well aware that Marciano wasn't dropped. That's why I said 'ready to play again'.

Again, I agree with you about Marciano. I wasn't saying otherwise.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2017, 07:29 PM
If Laidlaw was an outfield player he'd not be playing next game after a performance like that. Marciano was not dropped, but laidlaw had played so well it would have been unfair to not keep him in after a couple of very good performances.

Marciano back in now Lenny, and stick with him, as even his poor games are nowhere near as bad as that today.

Ryan69
21-10-2017, 07:40 PM
Laidlaw was poor and at fault (along with others) for three goals today. If you're going to beat a team like Celtc you can't give away cheap goals.

The problem we have is that, whilst picking Laidlaw was a gamble, picking Marciano would have been as well. Aberdeen semi last season?

Really can't understand how when the wall ducks...it's the goalies fault.
Rocky set up the wall to protect the front post....which they didn't.

judas
21-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Unfortunately not good enough. Celtic have had 2 shots and both pretty weak and he couldn’t manage to get strong enough hands on them.

Marciano guaranteed back in next game.

I don't think he was at fault for the first. Bad marking was.

For the second goal, again bad marking, but it would be reasonable to expect the keeper to save it at his near post.

3rd no chance.

4th, just an unlucky punt when we were chasing an equaliser.

He made a great save in the 2nd.

Don't think he is quite as culpable as some suggest overall.

Smartie
21-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Laidlaw had done well since coming into the team - playing him was the correct decision.

He had a bit of a nightmare. I don't think he could do much about the first, total clanger for the second. Nothing he could do for the third, he played a big part in the 4th.

The good save he made in the one one one - I thought he dithered on his line before making the save, I thought he should have been quick off his line to claim it in the first place.

You need to carry a bit of luck to beat Celtic, and often have your goalkeeper playing out of his skin. We had our 2nd choice having an off day.

Rocky should come back in for Tuesday, he's been sent a message by Lennon now though in that if his performance drops, or if he misses a game (for whatever reason) and Laidlaw comes in and does the business then he doesn't just waltz straight back in - a powerful message.

Laidlaw can go back to being a perfectly able deputy.

We've got 2 decent keepers, they haven't become pish overnight, although along with the rest of the team, they haven't quite played as well as they can over the first dozen or so games of our season.

Golden Bear
21-10-2017, 08:02 PM
I'm going to go against the grain and suggest that both keepers are average at best. Oh for the return of a Roughie, Goram or Leighton , now these guys really were goalkeepers.

lyonhibs
21-10-2017, 08:10 PM

Apart from clearly the 2nd, what other goals was he at fault for? The first one, it's an absolute nightmare to go down low back where you've just come from for a keeper. All your weight is moving in the other direction.

The 4th, ok he could've done better as it was pretty obvious what type of finish Dembele was going to go for, but I wouldn't go as far as to say he was at fault for it.

I think the gravity of his error for the 2nd and the general lack of confidence he has on cross balls means that Marciano will be back in but let's not lose perspective completely

lord bunberry
21-10-2017, 08:11 PM
I'm going to go against the grain and suggest that both keepers are average at best. Oh for the return of a Roughie, Goram or Leighton , now these guys really were goalkeepers.

Sadly I think goalkeeping has changed for the worse since the days of the keepers you mentioned. Part of that is due to the new balls we use, and part of that is due to the way that they’re trained these days. When you have keepers who constantly punch the ball rather than catching it, they seem to end up putting the ball back in play more, and simply catching the ball, rather than trying to parry it has lead to more mistakes imo.

Pretty Boy
21-10-2017, 08:13 PM

I wonder how they would be seen in the messageboard era?

I don't really remember Rough but Goram would surely be 'too small' and 'not commanding enough at crosses' whilst Leighton would have 'pish distribution' and be 'nervous under the high ball'.

Fwiw I agree with you. We have 2 ok goalkeepers, which is still an improvement on some recently. I've never seen what others see in Marciano that makes them think we have signed someone we are going to sell for a hige profit and I've always rated Laidlaw as an unspectacular steady Eddie.

Pretty Boy
21-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Sadly I think goalkeeping has changed for the worse since the days of the keepers you mentioned. Part of that is due to the new balls we use, and part of that is due to the way that they’re trained these days. When you have keepers who constantly punch the ball rather than catching it, they seem to end up putting the ball back in play more, and simply catching the ball, rather than trying to parry it has lead to more mistakes imo.

There was a really good piece with Peter Schmeichel on Sky Sports the other night and he said he never got the obsession some had with catching the ball. For him keeping the ball out the net was the most imprtant aspect then you dealt with the follow up of need be.

He was hugely important in the evolution of the goalkeeper moving away fron the accepted practices and beliefs about what a goalkeeper was and becoming more unorthodox, more atheltic and better all round players. I think his handball background played a big part.

I'm not saying he is right but I tend to agree with him. We live in a golden age of goalkeepers imo. Buffon, Cassilas and Van Der Sar through to Neuer, De Gea and Oblak have totally changed the way the position is played for the better. Every one, and a few others of their era, has taken the role forward.

Mibbes Aye
21-10-2017, 08:34 PM

I don't really remember Rough but Goram would surely be 'too small' and 'not commanding enough at crosses' whilst Leighton would have 'pish distribution' and be 'nervous under the high ball'.

Fwiw I agree with you. We have 2 ok goalkeepers, which is still an improvement on some recently. I've never seen what others see in Marciano that makes them think we have signed someone we are going to sell for a hige profit and I've always rated Laidlaw as an unspectacular steady Eddie.

Leighton would have been absolutely slaughtered for his inability to cope with the passback rule :agree:

Rough, Goram and Leighton were all really good keepers but being honest, we didn't achieve that much with them, despite the success they had before or after playing with us.

Laidlaw won't have today's game as one of his career highlights but the reality is that we were up against the toughest opposition we are likely to face any time soon, or any time longer for that matter.

BSEJVT
21-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Until today Laidlaw has done very well for us.

I asked a guy whose son plays for Raith and has done for years why he never got a look in there.

His response, started off brilliantly, lost a couple of bad goals and never seemed to get his confidence back.

He was hung out to dry by rank bad defending but IMO he needs to save both the first 2 goals, poor weak shots straight through him.

Having said that Ofir hasn't covered himself in glory this season either.

lord bunberry
21-10-2017, 08:37 PM
There was a really good piece with Peter Schmeichel on Sky Sports the other night and he said he never got the obsession some had with catching the ball. For him keeping the ball out the net was the most imprtant aspect then you dealt with the follow up of need be.

He was hugely important in the evolution of the goalkeeper moving away fron the accepted practices and beliefs about what a goalkeeper was and becoming more unorthodox, more atheltic and better all round players. I think his handball background played a big part.

I'm not saying he is right but I tend to agree with him. We live in a golden age of goalkeepers imo. Buffon, Cassilas and Van Der Sar through to Neuer, De Gea and Oblak have totally changed the way the position is played for the better. Every one, and a few others of their era, has taken the role forward.
They’ve certainly taken the role in a different direction. I agree 100% about the athleticism of modern day goalkeepers, and I think the agility aspect has improved dramatically. The older style keepers were much more commanding in their box than your modern day keeper. I suppose it’s like every position, it’s almost impossible to compare players from previous generations to current players. The game in some ways never changes, but in other ways it’s completely different.

emerald green
21-10-2017, 08:43 PM
All goalkeepers make mistakes from time to time, but IMHO Hibs haven't had a really good reliable goalkeeper for donkeys years. That said, they are hard to find.

Smartie
21-10-2017, 08:47 PM
Rough, Goram and Leighton are about as good as this nation has ever produced. We were truly spoilt in those days and came to take for granted that our last line of defence was World Class (maybe Roughy wasn't world class but I honestly think the other 2 were).

Anyone is going to be a step down in class from those 3 and I suspect it will be a very long time until we see their likes again.

Decent, above average is about the best we can expect, and I think that is what we currently have.

It's not the first position I'd be looking to address.

.Sean.
21-10-2017, 08:55 PM
We all said he should've played and we'll all now realise we were wrong and Marciano should've played.

Pish and that's being kind. I'm not one to single players out usually but he had a big hand (literally and numerous times) in us losing today and he should drop out Tuesday.

I like Laidlaw but that second was a shocker and it cost us the game.

Nicho87
21-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Won't play again for a long time hopefully.

Andy74
21-10-2017, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with tbh.

I'm well aware that Marciano wasn't dropped. That's why I said 'ready to play again'.

Again, I agree with you about Marciano. I wasn't saying otherwise.
In the sense that if he was trying to avoid chopping and changing Marciano should have come back in. He is number one and was always going to get back in once Laidlaw made a mistake.

Tornadoes70
21-10-2017, 09:13 PM
No he hasn't but u carry on with bashing out players...this place annoys the hell outta me when we lose

I have to agree with you Borderhibbie. Laidlaw has been solid apart from some aspects today. Keepers can have off days just like any other player in any other position. I like Ross a lot and he had some very good saves today as Johnnyboy said in his summing up which goes unnoticed when looking to slate a player. Lets give a good keeper some slack, he's no Zibi that's for sure. I like you Ross, Keep working on your game pal and you'll do well.

GGTTH

adhibs
21-10-2017, 09:15 PM

Aye he has. Hes cost a goal around every 3 to 4 appereances hes made. He wasnt good enough for raith, but you keep kidding on hes good enough for us.

SON OF PADDY
21-10-2017, 09:20 PM

100% agree with you 🙄

tamig
21-10-2017, 09:28 PM

That’s the crux of it. Some ludicrous comments on here. I can’t recall Laidlaw making too many mistakes in the plethora of games he played since the start of last season. One poster implies he’d cost us a few times ppreviously. He’ s been a great number 2 and never really let us down at all when he’s been asked to step up. I’m happy we have Ross Laidlaw as back up and have no qualms whatsover. Some outrageous comments on here today.

Thecat23
21-10-2017, 09:32 PM
1st, 2nd, and 4th keeper could have done a lot better. 2nd is a howler simple as that. But the defending for the first couple was something you would get at an under 10’s game.

Rocky will be in goal Tuesday btw, Laidlaw deserved his place until he blew it, he blew it today.

emerald green
21-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Remember the second goal Marciano let in against Aberdeen in the semi final last year? A joke of a goal. Until Hibs stop giving teams two goals of a start in semi-finals we can expect further disappointments. Sorry.

Tornadoes70
21-10-2017, 09:38 PM
1st, 2nd, and 4th keeper could have done a lot better. 2nd is a howler simple as that. But the defending for the first couple was something you would get at an under 10’s game.

Rocky will be in goal Tuesday btw, Laidlaw deserved his place until he blew it, he blew it today.

News of the World - Keeper has one bad game lets shoot him.

****** the News of the World, lets stick with him until we know he's not going to make it would be my opinion.

Even the best goalies in the world have howlers sometimes.

GGTTH

Thecat23
21-10-2017, 09:41 PM
News of the World - Keeper has one bad game lets shoot him.

****** the News of the World, lets stick with him until we know he's not going to make it would be my opinion.

Even the best goalies in the world have howlers sometimes.

GGTTH

I’m a huge fan of Laidlaw but he’s number 2 and after today should be dropped with Rocky being our No.1 with Hearts coming on Tuesday.

Tornadoes70
21-10-2017, 09:44 PM
I’m a huge fan of Laidlaw but he’s number 2 and after today should be dropped with Rocky being our No.1 with Hearts coming on Tuesday.

:top marks

He's no Zibi. Apart from today he's been mostly solid. I'll leave it up to Lenny to decide who's between the sticks on Tuesday but Ross Laidlaw deserves the benefit of the doubt until whenever.

I'd be happy with either Ross or Rocky.

GGTTH

Thecat23
21-10-2017, 09:48 PM

He's no Zibi. Apart from today he's been mostly solid. I'll leave it up to Lenny to decide who's between the sticks on Tuesday but Ross Laidlaw deserves the benefit of the doubt until whenever.

I'd be happy with either Ross or Rocky.

GGTTH

I was on another thread about how he deserves the gloves last week and he deserved them today. Sadly for him when you have another keeper who’s number 1 then you make a couple of mistakes the number 1 will near always get back in. I’m also happy either way I think both are good keepers Laidlaw just didn’t have a good day today.

Lennon will pick Rocky on Tuesday I think though.

Tornadoes70
21-10-2017, 09:51 PM
I was on another thread about how he deserves the gloves last week and he deserved them today. Sadly for him when you have another keeper who’s number 1 then you make a couple of mistakes the number 1 will near always get back in. I’m also happy either way I think both are good keepers Laidlaw just didn’t have a good day today.

Lennon will pick Rocky on Tuesday I think though.

Would make sense I think Cat. Let Ross work on his game and he'll be itching at the bit to wrestle the gloves back from Rocky.

GGTTH

Hi Heid Yin
21-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Both our keepers are solid. No keeper goes through every game without slipping up at some point and costing his team a goal.
Laidlaw simply had one of those days where at least one error/lapse was punished.
Outwith this he was competent and prevented Celtic adding to the scoreline.
Rocky had a major error strewn nightmare a short while back too. This happens.
This said, confidence is a big thing for a keeper and for the players immediately in front of him.
Neil Lennon will know his players and who they want behind them in goals for the derby.

Thecat23
21-10-2017, 09:54 PM
Would make sense I think Cat. Let Ross work on his game and he'll be itching at the bit to wrestle the gloves back from Rocky.

GGTTH

Exactly, he’s a good keeper and will want to work hard to keep improving. 👍🏼

Criswell
21-10-2017, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=BSEJVT;5198020]Until today Laidlaw has done very well for us.

I asked a guy whose son plays for Raith and has done for years why he never got a look in there.

His response, started off brilliantly, lost a couple of bad goals and never seemed to get his confidence back.

That's a bit worrying. It sounds like he is lacking the mental strength needed to succeed at this level.

Tornadoes70
21-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Exactly, he’s a good keeper and will want to work hard to keep improving. 👍🏼

:aok:

Couldn't agree more Cat.

GGTTH

ajf
22-10-2017, 06:23 AM
In laidlaws first few games for us I remember him making massive dives for shots that were going well wide which I put down to keenness and an urge to do well and to be fair since his early days hasn't repeated it , until Saturday when a shot that was going well wide in the early part of the game and he went rushing out past his left hand post and dived and parried it out for a corner , it was always going for a goal kick , good confident keepers Imo know exactly where there posts are and don't resort to saves for the fans just my opinion offcourse.

Future17
22-10-2017, 06:41 AM
In laidlaws first few games for us I remember him making massive dives for shots that were going well wide which I put down to keenness and an urge to do well and to be fair since his early days hasn't repeated it , until Saturday when a shot that was going well wide in the early part of the game and he went rushing out past his left hand post and dived and parried it out for a corner , it was always going for a goal kick , good confident keepers Imo know exactly where there posts are and don't resort to saves for the fans just my opinion offcourse.

The shot has deflected off a Hibs player and he was attempting to prevent the corner.

Captain Trips
22-10-2017, 07:02 AM

That's a bit worrying. It sounds like he is lacking the mental strength needed to succeed at this level.

Well we can see if he has the strength then. He has made a bad mistake lets see how he handles it, Im not for just chucking him due to this.

I actually only looking back at the highlights find the defending to be more of a concern than the goalie situation. Nothing to do with opposition it was woeful.

Beefster
22-10-2017, 07:32 AM
In the sense that if he was trying to avoid chopping and changing Marciano should have come back in. He is number one and was always going to get back in once Laidlaw made a mistake.

Fair enough. I think it's debatable whether it's less disruptive to the defence to let whoever has the gloves carry on until their performance necessitates a change or to always let the better keeper play when he can. If it hadn't been for Yom Kippur though, I don't doubt that Marciano would have continued to play.

Fifehibby74
22-10-2017, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=Criswell;5198181]

Well we can see if he has the strength then. He has made a bad mistake lets see how he handles it, Im not for just chucking him due to this.

I actually only looking back at the highlights find the defending to be more of a concern than the goalie situation. Nothing to do with opposition it was woeful.

Was at the game but didn't get good view of second goal. Watching the highlights last night he should've saved the second.

He also had a lot of other good saves in the second half.

Wasn't his fault we got beat yesterday - first half tactics to blame

danhibees1875
22-10-2017, 08:06 AM
The shot has deflected off a Hibs player and he was attempting to prevent the corner.

That's quite enough, away with your facts.

Rocky back in for Tuesday.

Laidlaw is a good back up option and I like him and would have confidence in playing him when our #1 is injured/suspended. It was right to keep him in after some good performances but it's time for Rocky to have a few blinders (phone almost autocorrected that to blunders - hopefully not an omen).

edwards
22-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Sorry but I have never been overly impresed with either Laidlaw or Rocky, Laidlaw must accept some of the blame for the first two yesterday, part and parcel of football. Lennon has some hard decisions to make and I am sure a keeper will be top of his listcome January you need someone agile and prepared to throw everything into their game again our keepers at present don't have this in their make up.
As I said earleir I have been hearing a keepers name being mentioned but will wait to see how true this is.

Hibernia&Alba
22-10-2017, 08:29 AM
I felt for Laidlaw yesterday. Big game at Hampden, the very place you want to play well, and he had a bit of a mare. Looked nervous all afternoon, which wasn't helped by some of the defending. He must be feeling terrible right now.

Danderhall Hibs
22-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Sorry but I have never been overly impresed with either Laidlaw or Rocky, Laidlaw must accept some of the blame for the first two yesterday, part and parcel of football. Lennon has some hard decisions to make and I am sure a keeper will be top of his listcome January you need someone agile and prepared to throw everything into their game again our keepers at present don't have this in their make up.
As I said earleir I have been hearing a keepers name being mentioned but will wait to see how true this is.

Never been impressed? Not even after the Dunfermline game last season when he saved us from an absolute hiding?

I was amazed at the criticism he started to receive after a few games this season - getting the blame for not being commanding enough etc yet the defenders in front escape the blame.

We’re far too harsh on our goalies - Zibi and that have really knocked us for six.

Borderhibbie76
22-10-2017, 08:36 AM
Never been impressed? Not even after the Dunfermline game last season when he saved us from an absolute hiding?

I was amazed at the criticism he started to receive after a few games this season - getting the blame for not being commanding enough etc yet the defenders in front escape the blame.

We’re far too harsh on our goalies - Zibi and that have really knocked us for six.Spot on its almost like every goal we concede is the keepers fault and the defence is just blameless. Laidlaw wasn't great yesterday but imo only really at fault for 2nd goal...the first would have been a great save had he kept it out. The defending for all 4 Celtic goals yesterday was horrendous yet we have people praising both Ambrose and hanlon...they can't have played that well when we conceded 4 goals

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
22-10-2017, 08:40 AM

We’re far too harsh on our goalies - Zibi and that have really knocked us for six.

You could be right, DH. We always expect the worst from our keepers, due to past experience. Laidlaw was very poor yesterday, but the defending for a couple of the goals was also amateur. We didn't look comfortable at the back all afternoon. Just a bad day all round; truth is we were lucky to be thrown a lifeline with a terrible penalty decision. The game was over at 2-0.

22-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Hi, I have to say that I agree with your sentiments. I do think Laidlaw let down both the team and fans yesterday but that apart I have never been convinced by either him or Rocky. Neither of them come for cross balls and command their six yard box. In my opinion they are very average shot stoppers. Many of the SPL teams have much better goalkeepers. You only have to see how many of them have turned in man of the match performances against us this season.
I hope you are correct that a keeper is top of the wish list for January.

J-C
22-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Back up at Raith and back up here too, never been convinced by him, the speed he signed his new deal shows he's delighted to be here but we needed competition for the goalkeeper jersey not a backup one.

Firestarter
22-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Big Semi and Hampden and you bench your international goalkeeper who is used to big games and pressure for an extremely untested back up one. Poor decision and cost us big time.

Ozyhibby
22-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Marciano is our number 1 goalie and is costing us a few quid. He should have been playing. Lennon has to take the blame for that.

gaz1875
22-10-2017, 12:05 PM
How is it that every other keeper plays out their skin against us. There hasn't been many games either Laidlaw or Marciano has won us the points (note the word many there has been 1 or 2)

Thegreenside
22-10-2017, 12:12 PM

Take it you didn’t see the highlights of the draw at parkheid then, granted was poor today.

HH81
22-10-2017, 01:51 PM
At the ground I felt the 2 goal was his only mistake all afternoon.

Seeing it on TV I think he was too slow to change his feet and should have saved the 1st too. The 4th goal was a half hearted kick which they scored from. Not a great afternoon.

Iggy Pope
22-10-2017, 02:00 PM

Maybe he got the **** kicked out of him on Raith Rovers message boards too.

Iggy Pope
22-10-2017, 02:12 PM
Back up at Raith and back up here too, never been convinced by him, the speed he signed his new deal shows he's delighted to be here but we needed competition for the goalkeeper jersey not a backup one.

Poor observation. He was very good Brondby away, you might've been there. It was his competitive debut for Hibs. He's not done much wrong since. Had a poor game yesterday but in 47 years man and boy watching Hibs, so have all of our goalies. And most of the other XI too.

brog
22-10-2017, 02:32 PM

Agree with this 100%. It would be such a difference if we went into every match with total confidence in our keeper.

I agree with you 100%. It would be such a difference if we played every game with total confidence in our keeper.

brog
22-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Every keeper makes mistakes, Peter Cech just made an absolute howler. Every keeper also makes some outstanding saves, Pickford of Everton just conceded 5 but saved about 20! It's a question of consistency & minimising the errors & unfortunately I have little faith that either of our keepers fit that bill. I have no doubt Rocky will play on Tuesday & I hope he takes a cross early on. I also hope he takes his chance to prove me & others wrong.

marinello59
22-10-2017, 02:47 PM
At the ground I felt the 2 goal was his only mistake all afternoon.

Seeing it on TV I think he was too slow to change his feet and should have saved the 1st too. The 4th goal was a half hearted kick which they scored from. Not a great afternoon.

It wasn’t but he was not the only reason we lost.

J-C
22-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Poor observation. He was very good Brondby away, you might've been there. It was his competitive debut for Hibs. He's not done much wrong since. Had a poor game yesterday but in 47 years man and boy watching Hibs, so have all of our goalies. And most of the other XI too.

Opinions eh! if we all agreed about every player then this would be a bloody boring forum :greengrin. My opinion is he's only good enough to be a back up player, I'd like to see us having competition for the starting jersey and I don't think Laidlaw is good enough to be considered a starter.