PDA

View Full Version : Our database system - visitors buying tickets

California-Hibs
19-10-2017, 03:27 AM
I really think this needs addressed. I’ve just been reading on Facebook about some German lads visiting Edinburgh this weekend and wanting to take in the Semi Final. The guy simply asked if he could just go to the stadium and buy tickets as it looked like he couldn’t from what he read online.

Why do we make visitors jump through so many hoops to take in a game. Turning people away is ridiculous. I understand that it could open the door to the opposition buying tickets in the home stands but why do so many other clubs not have this system we have in place?!

It’s always been a hate of mine. When I was back in Edinburgh in August I had a couple Italians stop me on Princess Street asking about going to the game. Trying to explain the ticket situation was a nightmare along with giving them directions. There should be far better signage from Leith Walk, London Road, Easter Road. Decently sized signs

Thoughts?

andyf5
19-10-2017, 04:37 AM
I really think this needs addressed. I’ve just been reading on Facebook about some German lads visiting Edinburgh this weekend and wanting to take in the Semi Final. The guy simply asked if he could just go to the stadium and buy tickets as it looked like he couldn’t from what he read online.

Why do we make visitors jump through so many hoops to take in a game. Turning people away is ridiculous. I understand that it could open the door to the opposition buying tickets in the home stands but why do so many other clubs not have this system we have in place?!

It’s always been a hate of mine. When I was back in Edinburgh in August I had a couple Italians stop me on Princess Street asking about going to the game. Trying to explain the ticket situation was a nightmare along with giving them directions. There should be far better signage from Leith Walk, London Road, Easter Road. Decently sized signs

Thoughts?

It's the Scottish way and I can't see it changing. I went to Bremen to see Werder Bremen play AC Milan and booked flights and hotel for three of us. I was then informed that the maximum ticket purchase was 2. I emailed the club explaining the situation and they gave me three tickets just like that. At the ground there were Becks beer pods everywhere. That's the German way.

lyonhibs
19-10-2017, 06:11 AM

Thoughts?

Presumably other clubs don't have them in place (don't they??) because they aren't fussed about having away fans in t home stands for big matches. Hibs quite rightly are. If it's a cat B Game, which statistically the majority are, then happy days.

A necessary evil IMO

LancashireHibby
19-10-2017, 06:30 AM
Although I would always like to see us make more of an effort to attract tourists to Easter Road (within all practical restrictions for OF games and derbies), in this scenario it’s spot on given Celtic have sold all of their tickets and it’s not of any real financial benefit to the club to sell Hampden tickets to those mentioned.

MountcastleHibs
19-10-2017, 07:33 AM
Not just Scotland though. I had problems to get tickets to Manchester City-Liverpool as I wasn’t on their database but was down for a visit. I even emailed to ask if there was anything the club could do. The game wasn’t even sold out and there was clearly large sections of empty seats visible on TV.

green&left
19-10-2017, 07:58 AM
Should/could make exceptions for non UK and Irish citizens and limit it to 1 ticket per passport.

Do all other teams have databases? Can't recall old firm fans taking over other stadiums, even away to smaller teams in the cups etc.

WhileTheChief..
19-10-2017, 08:00 AM
You’d have thought Italians would know how to use google maps like the rest of us!!

green day
19-10-2017, 08:02 AM
Understandable question, but look at this weekend as an example.

If we had less control over ticketing we would be inundated with Tic fans in our end.

southern hibby
19-10-2017, 08:03 AM
How hard would it be to check a visa or passport and have that information if indeed the person was either a trouble maker or an away fan from abroad.

We need to promote our team as much as possible not isolate it.

GGTTH

California-Hibs
19-10-2017, 09:26 AM
How hard would it be to check a visa or passport and have that information if indeed the person was either a trouble maker or an away fan from abroad.

GGTTH

Spot on! The passport/drivers license shout couldn’t definitely be a sensible approach.

I understand for a game such as this weekend, but for games at Easter Road it doesn’t make sense.

B.H.F.C
19-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Spot on! The passport/drivers license shout couldn’t definitely be a sensible approach.

I understand for a game such as this weekend, but for games at Easter Road it doesn’t make sense.

We've not had any Cat A games at ER this season so shouldn't have been an issue - yet.

BigKev
19-10-2017, 09:58 AM

Thoughts?

I've bought tickets before for tourists using my own client reference number for a Derby and against Rangers. Hopefully someone will offer to do the same for these guys.

Geo_1875
19-10-2017, 10:03 AM

GGTTH

Would be very easy if you had access to PNN or Interpol databases.

Rather more difficult for everybody else.

Argylehibby
19-10-2017, 11:00 AM
In the aftermath of the cup final win one of the things that prevented the authorities hammering us was the fact that we had put in place, and had adhered to, strict procedures in ticket allocation to ensure only our fans got tickets and that they were identifiable. Give tickets out without that process and we lose that "protection".

Swedish hibee
19-10-2017, 11:06 AM
I posted about this a few years back- but had hoped it had got sorted. I had some Danish friends visit Edinburgh 2 years ago, and decided to take in a game, so text me & I told them to go to the TO. They went, and we're refused tickets as they didn't have a UK address. They explained what hotel they were staying in, showed passports but they couldn't buy tickets. There was a queue behind them, and if it wasn't for a nice women at the back who came forward to get them tickets under her address- then they would have got none! Shocking service for tourists..

pollution
19-10-2017, 11:23 AM

Thoughts?

Spell check

NAE NOOKIE
19-10-2017, 11:34 AM
I posted about this a few years back- but had hoped it had got sorted. I had some Danish friends visit Edinburgh 2 years ago, and decided to take in a game, so text me & I told them to go to the TO. They went, and we're refused tickets as they didn't have a UK address. They explained what hotel they were staying in, showed passports but they couldn't buy tickets. There was a queue behind them, and if it wasn't for a nice women at the back who came forward to get them tickets under her address- then they would have got none! Shocking service for tourists..

You would think Hibs would allow folk showing a foreign passport to buy tickets ..... hells bells, if an away fan is prepared to fake a passport to get in they deserve a seat :greengrin

For any game outwith the ugly sisters Aberdeen and the Yams the ticket pods are always open selling tickets right up until kick off time and anybody can buy a ticket without being on the database. If I was attending a game abroad I would check out the stadium guides on Google for information on how and where to buy tickets, or even check the clubs official website, and I dare say a tourist from Europe wanting to go to ER would be no different. Does our official site or write ups on stadium guides mention the ticket pods and if not isn't it something we should address?

I've said it before, but thousands of tourists take the short climb up Calton Hill every year and from there you get a magnificent panoramic view of this gleaming green and white building which to even the untrained eye cant be anything other than a football stadium .... the trouble is there is absolutely nothing to tell you who plays there. What we should have is a muckle sign on top of the west stand reading 'Hibernian football club' ... perhaps it will encourage a few to come along.

California-Hibs
19-10-2017, 11:45 AM
We've not had any Cat A games at ER this season so shouldn't have been an issue - yet.

Am I not right in thinking though that for all games, Hearts at home to Arbroath in the cup at home, if you purchase directly at the ticket office you must be on the database? So any tourist that wonders in would leave disappointed?

B.H.F.C
19-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Am I not right in thinking though that for all games, Hearts at home to Arbroath in the cup at home, if you purchase directly at the ticket office you must be on the database? So any tourist that wonders in would leave disappointed?

Pods are usually open for Cat B games and anybody can walk up and purchase at them.

LancashireHibby
19-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Not at all, anyone can roll up to the ticket office and buy a ticket for any game outside of Hearts and the OF. Essentially that’s how you get on to the database and prove your Hibs credentials. I think far too much is made of the issue given it only applies to three games a season.

Phil MaGlass
19-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Not at all, anyone can roll up to the ticket office and buy a ticket for any game outside of Hearts and the OF. Essentially that’s how you get on to the database and prove your Hibs credentials. I think far too much is made of the issue given it only applies to three games a season.

5/6 games no? which is quite a big percentage, I think.

Swedish hibee
19-10-2017, 06:29 PM

See my previous post- it was only the kindness of a women in the same queue that my friends got tickets. But as you said, I'm glad that has now changed so anyone living anywhere in the world can get a ticket👍

beensaidbefore
19-10-2017, 06:36 PM
As has been mentioned above. We should be actively encouraging people from far and wide in every way possible. Stadium tours, club merchandise, even tours of EM if folk wanted and there was enough of them. Create something like a Hibs walking tour from the Cowgate signposted/guided/interactive to the stadium, throw in match tickets and some other add ons and it could be an attractive package for a tourist.

southern hibby
19-10-2017, 08:07 PM
Would be very easy if you had access to PNN or Interpol databases.

Rather more difficult for everybody else.

I mean checking them at the Hibs ticket office to prove they're from abroad.

GGTTH

Bristolhibby
19-10-2017, 09:07 PM
IMHO showing a foreign passport should be good enough.

That and a receipt from the shop for a brand new Hibs scarf!

Joking aside, this just has to be done. Such an own goal.

J

Lancs Harp
19-10-2017, 09:10 PM
It'll open the flood gates I tell yer. You'll be getting english fans in next.:wink:

JohnStephens91
19-10-2017, 09:43 PM
The German football fan looking for a ticket has arranged to meet me tomorrow to get sorted for the match. I don't work in the ticket office so I'm unable to answer questions on ticket sales to EU/other nationals as I'm not certain what the policy is, but the important thing is that he's getting his tickets for the game

Sammy7nil
19-10-2017, 10:29 PM
Spell check

Vanker :greengrin

California-Hibs
19-10-2017, 10:37 PM
The German football fan looking for a ticket has arranged to meet me tomorrow to get sorted for the match. I don't work in the ticket office so I'm unable to answer questions on ticket sales to EU/other nationals as I'm not certain what the policy is, but the important thing is that he's getting his tickets for the game

Excellent! Happy to hear this, well done.

Beefster
20-10-2017, 07:49 AM
Is it even legal for a Scottish business to allow Germans to buy a ticket upon receipt of a passport without extending the same courtesy to a Scot?

CropleyWasGod
20-10-2017, 08:59 AM
Is it even legal for a Scottish business to allow Germans to buy a ticket upon receipt of a passport without extending the same courtesy to a Scot?

A commercial organisation can have its own rules as to who it wants to trade with.

For example, if you see an item in a shop, priced at £x, that is only an "invitation to treat"; it doesn't bind the shop to a contract. The shop are within their rights to refuse to deal with you, even if you can show you have the funds to pay for it. (subject, of course, to anti-discrimination restrictions)

Similarly, Hibs can do that, although I'd like to know their reasons not to in this situation.

Just_Jimmy
20-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Not just Scotland though. I had problems to get tickets to Manchester City-Liverpool as I wasn’t on their database but was down for a visit. I even emailed to ask if there was anything the club could do. The game wasn’t even sold out and there was clearly large sections of empty seats visible on TV.

City are bad for this, they set a cut of point and if you've not bought tickets before this point then you can't get CAT A game tickets, even if you bought tickets regularly after this date. It annoyed the hell out of me when I first moved here as I was able to watch City most weeks until a big game and then I couldn't get tickets whilst there were empty seats on TV. Utd are the opposite, all the games are sold out as soon as the season starts and it's usually single seats only.

I prefer to watch Salford City anyway.

Beefster
20-10-2017, 11:57 AM
A commercial organisation can have its own rules as to who it wants to trade with.

For example, if you see an item in a shop, priced at £x, that is only an "invitation to treat"; it doesn't bind the shop to a contract. The shop are within their rights to refuse to deal with you, even if you can show you have the funds to pay for it. (subject, of course, to anti-discrimination restrictions)

Similarly, Hibs can do that, although I'd like to know their reasons not to in this situation.

Thanks. That was my thinking though - treating customers differently based on nationality is possibly straying into discrimination territory. Not that I’m an expert.

Bristolhibby
20-10-2017, 12:28 PM

This was my thought as I as typing it. How about, common sense?

Management refuses the right to sell tickets to anyone. Managements decision is final.

J

LancashireHibby
20-10-2017, 01:41 PM
I prefer to watch Salford City anyway.
Don’t bother with that commercial lot, jump on the train from Mcr Victoria for 20 minutes to Atherton to watch Atherton Collieries (two leagues below Salford), I’ll even buy you a pint.

Just_Jimmy
20-10-2017, 01:49 PM
Don’t bother with that commercial lot, jump on the train from Mcr Victoria for 20 minutes to Atherton to watch Atherton Collieries (two leagues below Salford), I’ll even buy you a pint.

PM me.