PDA

View Full Version : Would You Take Kenny Miller?

BlackSheep
18-10-2017, 08:37 AM
With the unrest over at Castle Greyskull over Kenny Miller's future, would you take him back for the rest of this season if he has a major fallout and is released in January?

Yes, he is 38, but he still looks sharp and could be a good influence to the younger boys at hibs.... might even score some goals!!

Northernhibee
18-10-2017, 08:37 AM
No.

oneone73
18-10-2017, 08:38 AM
With the unrest over at Castle Greyskull over Kenny Miller's future, would you take him back for the rest of this season if he has a major fallout and is released in January?

Yes, he is 38, but he still looks sharp and could be a good influence to the younger boys at hibs.... might even score some goals!!

Yes.

Beefster
18-10-2017, 08:39 AM
I’d rather not tbh.

lord bunberry
18-10-2017, 08:39 AM
I’d take him. As long as he’s not costing us any money in transfer fees, and he’s not asking for a big wage, it’s a no brainier for me.

WellingtonHibby
18-10-2017, 08:43 AM
I'd take him

DarlingtonHibee
18-10-2017, 08:43 AM
Yes

Smartie
18-10-2017, 08:45 AM
Yes.

CentreLine
18-10-2017, 08:46 AM
In a heartbeat.

Wilson
18-10-2017, 08:47 AM
He's done nothing this season.

He is too old.

I hope we kick on from where we are and aim higher.

Michael
18-10-2017, 08:47 AM
If he was cheap.

Ryan69
18-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Hes done absolutely nothing all season....so nope.

California-Hibs
Definitely 100%. The amount of times I’ve watched Rangers highlights on YouTube and up he pops heading it into the net, or coolly slotting past the keeper. The amount of rubbish that certain folk talk about him is laughable, his goals speak for itself. He’s proven he’s still more than capable of doing a job in the Premier League at 38. As has been mentioned would be a great influence and mentor for the younger players.

So in summary, yes, in a heartbeat. 1 year deal.

Mango Man
I would take him, he's a good pro, clever player and would be a good addition to the squad for the last half of the season, as long as he wasn't asking for too much.

BlackSheep
18-10-2017, 08:53 AM
For all they naysayers.... why not?

And i was suggesting a free transfer if he was released for those who are saying for a good price...

Dashing Bob S
18-10-2017, 08:54 AM
No thank you.

Yes, he's in decent shape, model pro etc, but realistically, how long can he now be expected to perform at top level? As for 'bringing on' Simon Murray, Oli Shaw etc, are you seriously going to leave Stokes on the bench for that?

We seem to be perennially wistful and starry-eyed on this site about bringing back former players, irrespective of where they are actually at this point in their careers. Commons barely had a Hibs strip on his back for five minutes, before the nostalgia factory went into overdrive.

But let's watch a rerun of Kenny Miller's goal in the 3-0 derby at Tynecastle and declare him a 'Hibs legend' and welcome him 'home' anytime. Or let's 'bring on' those young guys by giving them a jersey, and not have them watching from the bench as Kenny creaks around the park picking a twilight zone wage.

lyonhibs
18-10-2017, 08:55 AM
No. Are we going to have this question every year?

He'll be a 43 year old playing for Threave Rovers and there'll still be someone saying "could do a job....."

offshorehibby
18-10-2017, 08:59 AM
Was just thinking this earlier when i'd read something on twitter from his agent. Wondering if Caixinha would try and get rid come January. Yes i'd take him if he was a free and wage wasn't over much. He's still got goals in him.

For the ones saying he's done nowt this season it's because Caixinha's binned hi.

easty
18-10-2017, 09:00 AM
naaaaah

Cabbage East
18-10-2017, 09:03 AM
No thanks mate.

Spike Mandela
18-10-2017, 09:08 AM
A couple of years back if we'd made the move it would have been a risk that likely would have worked out given his performances at Rangers.

I suspect 2 years on it is a risk less likely to be successful

Hibernia&Alba
18-10-2017, 09:32 AM
As a coach? He's done as a player.

Stuart93
18-10-2017, 09:36 AM
A striker who actually plays as a striker? Yep

southern hibby
18-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Only in a coaching roll to help kids and possibly Boyle too, when one on one.

As a player no thanks. Problem with taking older players like this is you get the experience but your stopping youth from gaining experience. Take Cummings ( someone on here said 16 games before he scored for us ) would he have got his chance if we had Kenny to step back in if he wasn't putting ball in the back of the net?

I may be wrong with my next statement but I think it could happen. If we don't try and bring through the younger generation that we have done before, why would a kid sign for Hibs if he knows he's got a better chance of making it at lets say St Johnstone, Dundee Utd etc for game time? Yes I do think we need experience players / coaches in position to develope the kids this is why I suggested a coaching roll.

GGTTH

Libby Hibby
18-10-2017, 09:40 AM
Yes please

Frazerbob
18-10-2017, 09:51 AM
I would've taken him back in a heart beat at any point over the last few years but I recon he is now finally past it. According to some Sevco mates (ones that can actually find Ibrox without a sat nav) he's been gash this season.

LancsHibs
18-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Yes if it's not going to cost the club, guys like Miller & Commons in and around the squad can only be a good thing and if they can find fitness/form are also better options than what we have

SirDavidsNapper
18-10-2017, 09:58 AM
Yes

Benny Brazil
18-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Yes absolutely he would help bring Murray and possibly Shaw on even further whilst also still being able to contribute to the first team

Firestarter
18-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Of course. And he would have a point to prove. I'm gathering everyone saying no would turn their noses up at commons too? We have an average squad, he would improve it big time.

Firestarter
Yes if it's not going to cost the club, guys like Miller & Commons in and around the squad can only be a good thing and if they can find fitness/form are also better options than what we have

Funnily enough I'm sure they both used to share a flat down South.

Nakedmanoncrack
Yes.

easty
18-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Of course. And he would have a point to prove. I'm gathering everyone saying no would turn their noses up at commons too? We have an average squad, he would improve it big time.

What's Commons got to do with Miller like?

Hibernia&Alba
18-10-2017, 10:12 AM

I'm really not sure he would. Looks like his legs have finally given up on him.

Frazerbob
18-10-2017, 10:12 AM

My worry with Commons is that he's been out for too long now. He's not as fit as Kenny Miller, who is like a butcher's dug.

Firestarter
18-10-2017, 10:13 AM
What's Commons got to do with Miller like?

"Done nothing this season" etc etc

Firestarter
18-10-2017, 10:13 AM
I'm really not sure he would. Looks like his legs have finally given up on him.

We have the pace we don't have the goals. Could be a good match.

hibee
18-10-2017, 10:14 AM
No thanks.

Firestarter
18-10-2017, 10:14 AM
My worry with Commons is that he's been out for too long now. He's not as fit as Kenny Miller, who is like a butcher's dug.

Yeah me too, I would take a wee gamble on both though.

Peevemor
18-10-2017, 10:16 AM
It's a yes for me.

easty
18-10-2017, 10:16 AM
"Done nothing this season" etc etc

Liam Henderson has done nothing this season, but I'd take him.

I dinnae want Miller cos he's no good enough anymore, no cos of what he's done, or no done, this season.

Firestarter
18-10-2017, 10:19 AM

I dinnae want Miller cos he's no good enough anymore, no cos of what he's done, or no done, this season.

How do you get he's no good enough? He plays for a side ahead of us in the league and would be an improvement on everyone bar stokes. People has given the excuse of doing nothing on this very thread. It's like saying gms isn't good enough when he clearly is, just because they aren't at hibs.

Peevemor
18-10-2017, 10:22 AM

If I could sign only one of them until the end of the season, I reckon Miller would complement what we have more than Henderson.

easty
18-10-2017, 10:24 AM
How do you get he's no good enough? He plays for a side ahead of us in the league and would be an improvement on everyone bar stokes. People has given the excuse of doing nothing on this very thread. It's like saying gms isn't good enough when he clearly is, just because they aren't at hibs.

I didnae say a word about GMS, I'd definitely take him at Hibs though.

Miller doesnae play for a side ahead of us in the league, that's kind of the point, he's no getting a game. Their manager can afford to leave him out, cos he's no that good anymore. How many goals has he scored in the league for them this season? The same amount I have.

Ryan69
18-10-2017, 10:39 AM

Kenny Miller could pretty much be his Dad though.

Souter96Mac
18-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Looks like he could be finished, would like to think we could bring in anther quality player who has potential to grow ahead of him rather than having Miller til the end of the season.

Baader
18-10-2017, 10:55 AM
No thanks.

Smartie
18-10-2017, 11:21 AM
I've honestly not seen him play one minute of football this season so couldn't really comment.

Has he not made an impact this season because his legs have finally gone? Or are his problems mainly due to being a senior player of a former regime under a new, abrasive, immediately under pressure manager and having a battle to fit a new system?

I honestly don't know.

The number 38 will put a lot of people off, but I hate to think how often over the years I've seen him be the most effective player for Rangers or Sevco.

The idea should not be dismissed out of hand, and he'd bring more than just playing ability. I'd want him to be more of a Mixu or Brewster (good influence plus being a positive influence) rather than a Kuji of Jonatan Johansson (good influences but didn't kick a ball for us).

AgentDaleCooper
18-10-2017, 11:25 AM
derek riordan anyone? could do a job IMO.

The_Horde
18-10-2017, 11:32 AM
No thank you.

Yes, he's in decent shape, model pro etc, but realistically, how long can he now be expected to perform at top level? As for 'bringing on' Simon Murray, Oli Shaw etc, are you seriously going to leave Stokes on the bench for that?

We seem to be perennially wistful and starry-eyed on this site about bringing back former players, irrespective of where they are actually at this point in their careers. Commons barely had a Hibs strip on his back for five minutes, before the nostalgia factory went into overdrive.

But let's watch a rerun of Kenny Miller's goal in the 3-0 derby at Tynecastle and declare him a 'Hibs legend' and welcome him 'home' anytime. Or let's 'bring on' those young guys by giving them a jersey, and not have them watching from the bench as Kenny creaks around the park picking a twilight zone wage.

Funnily enough this site was pretty much unanimously opposed to Stokes return prior to the cup final.

cleanyman
18-10-2017, 11:34 AM
For the last 20 minutes of a game he's a decent option.

Sign him up if he's on the cheap.

.Sean.
18-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Absolutely not. If he really wanted to sign for us he could've done so years ago.

ancient hibee
18-10-2017, 12:11 PM
What do you mean when you say if it’s not going to cost the club? Don’t think either would fancy playing for nothing.

ajf
18-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Is he any good at left back ?

Brooster
18-10-2017, 12:20 PM
Yes. We are one striker short. The amount of games we have outplayed the opposition this season and not won is costing us. Miller would help us out a lot.

staunchhibby
18-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Would take MillerCould link up well with Stokes.

southsider
18-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Don't you think he would burst a gut against the Huns ? For that reason alone he would be worth signing. But Kenny is a top class professional. Remember how he came into out changing room after the cup final and shook hands with every Hibs player. Class.

Hermit Crab
18-10-2017, 12:47 PM

NO!!

murray26
18-10-2017, 01:34 PM
Would he improve our team?.. not really.. is he going to improve..? No.. would he be that player that could turn a game like Saturdays for example..? Definitely not.. he’d be nothing more than a jersey filler.

Albanian Hibs
18-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Yes

Nutmegged
18-10-2017, 02:18 PM
nailed on certainty that he'll be here come January, would rather not but if its only until May and allows us time to identify and persuade a good goalscorer to come next Summer I'll put up with it.

LancsHibs
18-10-2017, 02:19 PM
What do you mean when you say if it’s not going to cost the club? Don’t think either would fancy playing for nothing.

No I don't think they will play for nothing?? I mean not cost the club an arm and a leg i.e no fees & they are sensible about wages/contracts. Odd post!

KSA Hibee
18-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Not it seen it for a while so here goes ......

“Anyone think Deek could still do a job for us?”
🤔🙄🤷🏻*♂️

GreenOnions
18-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Yes. We are one striker short. The amount of games we have outplayed the opposition this season and not won is costing us. Miller would help us out a lot.

This is the point IMO. KM would not look for a long contract I reckon. Getting him on board in January for six months or even 18 months would be an excellent move for us I think. Proven goalscorer.

Haymaker
18-10-2017, 03:43 PM
derek riordan anyone? could do a job IMO.

:agree: defo could

CraigHibee
18-10-2017, 03:45 PM
he's a model pro, maybe as player/coach, would do well with the youngsters i reckon.

neil7908
18-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Nope, wages would be better spent on a more physical target man to support Stokes.

IWasThere2016
18-10-2017, 03:53 PM
I expect him at Hibs in January on 18-month deal..

Billy Whizz
18-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Source

Spike Mandela
18-10-2017, 03:58 PM

Hope it's pay if you play.

heretoday
18-10-2017, 04:00 PM
I would take him. You can't have enough experience. Look at Grant Holt.

Spike Mandela
18-10-2017, 04:03 PM
I would take him. You can't have enough experience. Look at Grant Holt.

Holt was finished, barring a couple of glimmers of glories past.

Wilson
18-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Hope it's pay if you play.

Does any player ever sign such a deal?

I'd have taken Kenny a season and a half ago if he thought hibs was a good place to end his career. Perhaps moving him over to a coaching role if that is what he wanted.

It is too late. I don't think he has enough to give as a player. If our scouts aren't pulling out the stops for more impressive targets I'd be very disappointed.

We've moved on from the point where a 38 years old has been progresses our squad. It also grates that he'd high-tail it 'home' only after he's burnt his bridges with Pedro.

Great servant to Rangers but his times up.

Nicho87
18-10-2017, 04:32 PM
No thanks

weecounty hibby
18-10-2017, 04:40 PM

Totally agree with that. It's yes from me. Could be the difference in drawing games or winning or losing and getting a draw. Would be more of a goal threat than anyone in the team except Stokes

Thecat23
18-10-2017, 04:46 PM

👀

Haymaker
18-10-2017, 05:01 PM

Deeks?! :hyper

ancient hibee
18-10-2017, 05:18 PM
No I don't think they will play for nothing?? I mean not cost the club an arm and a leg i.e no fees & they are sensible about wages/contracts. Odd post!
Not odd at all.How much do you consider an arm and a leg?£2K a week each and suddenly with NHI etc.you’ve added quarter of a million to the wage bill.Not costing an arm and a leg is not the same as costing the club nothing is it?

monktonharp
18-10-2017, 05:37 PM
no

superfurryhibby
18-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Not odd at all.How much do you consider an arm and a leg?£2K a week each and suddenly with NHI etc.you’ve added quarter of a million to the wage bill.Not costing an arm and a leg is not the same as costing the club nothing is it?

This fundamental fact can be evasive for some folk.

In short, he doesn't score anymore.

We already have coaches!

He's too auld.

Heisenberg
18-10-2017, 06:02 PM
He’s absolutely done. Wouldn’t go near him.

SideBurns
18-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Miller is a great professional, and his recent absence from the Huns first team seems to be more to do with internal politics at Ibrox than anything else. I'm unconcerned about his age if he is fit. Many on here have made legitimate points for and against a possible return, but in case anyone can't stomach the idea of seeing him in a Hibs jersey again due to his long Hun association, it should be recalled he was the only defeated player big enough to break ranks and congratulate the Hibs players on 21/5/16....

neil7908
18-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Taking aside his age and all their other factors - is he the kind of player we need?

How does he fit into our current squad? Would he be a good partner for Stokes?

He isn't a replacement for Holt which is really what we need. At the moment with Murray and Big Dave on the bench I'm not sure about the benefit of bringing in another striker who won't play or necessarily fit with our system, and isn't going to improve.

Colr
18-10-2017, 06:55 PM
Knows how to find the net. Useful back-up and maybe can show the young players a thing or two in coaching.

IGRIGI
18-10-2017, 06:57 PM
If we could get him on a cheap deal I'd have no issue.

Golden Bear
18-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Yes, without a doubt.

DTS
18-10-2017, 07:37 PM
See tbh we need options up front if Lennon thinks he fits the bill till the end of the season then I certainly wouldn’t be against it then re-evaluate it in the summer depending on the success of it. Wasn’t he still the Huns top scorer last year?

SON OF PADDY
18-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Yes, without a doubt.

My Car ticking over ! Just waiting for the call to pick him up.😋
Tremendous football player would love to see Kenny back at the Hibs.

Blaster
18-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Without a doubt I'd sign him in January if we can

Phil MaGlass
18-10-2017, 07:55 PM
No, hes done

Paisley Hibby
18-10-2017, 08:19 PM

A no brainer to end all no brainers. Off course we should (but I can't see it happening sadly).

Swedish hibee
18-10-2017, 08:22 PM
No.

guthrie01
18-10-2017, 08:49 PM
Would give him the 6 months, just imagine the scenes when he does sign and scores against them :hyper

Deansy
18-10-2017, 09:15 PM
Miller is a great professional, and his recent absence from the Huns first team seems to be more to do with internal politics at Ibrox than anything else. I'm unconcerned about his age if he is fit. Many on here have made legitimate points for and against a possible return, but in case anyone can't stomach the idea of seeing him in a Hibs jersey again due to his long Hun association, it should be recalled he was the only defeated player big enough to break ranks and congratulate the Hibs players on 21/5/16....

I agree -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41670840

'It is not often a football club makes a claim that they have a leak in the dressing room, so my very simple point was that the club should have quickly clarified that wasn't why this particular player was being left out'

The Hun have really got 'Machiavellianism' down to a fine point !

hibbydog
19-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Yes and no.

Yes. He’d improve our squad and add some much needed goals and experience. He’s not going to start every game but is anyone telling me they wouldn’t have liked to have him come off the bench with half an hour to go when we were struggling at home to Aberdeen ?

No. **** sake he’s an old man and well past his best. What does it say to our promising youngsters who are hanging around the fringes of the first team waiting for their chance?

I think we’d be better looking long term and giving game time to the likes of shaw and porteous.

So it’s a no.

Brightside
19-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Steve Archibald is looking for a club also.

Firestarter
19-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Steve Archibald is looking for a club also.

Out at Malaga golf course?

Speedy
19-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Only in a coaching roll to help kids and possibly Boyle too, when one on one.

As a player no thanks. Problem with taking older players like this is you get the experience but your stopping youth from gaining experience. Take Cummings ( someone on here said 16 games before he scored for us ) would he have got his chance if we had Kenny to step back in if he wasn't putting ball in the back of the net?

I may be wrong with my next statement but I think it could happen. If we don't try and bring through the younger generation that we have done before, why would a kid sign for Hibs if he knows he's got a better chance of making it at lets say St Johnstone, Dundee Utd etc for game time? Yes I do think we need experience players / coaches in position to develope the kids this is why I suggested a coaching roll.

GGTTH

Sums up my thoughts exactly. The potential benefit is limited and very short term.

If NL reckons we need another striker then I'd rather we signed one who would contribute/develop over a couple of years and would be an asset.

The_Horde
19-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Sums up my thoughts exactly. The potential benefit is limited and very short term.

If NL reckons we need another striker then I'd rather we signed one who would contribute/develop over a couple of years and would be an asset.

Like Simon Murray? Oli Shaw?

IlDiavola
19-10-2017, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't touch Miller.

Phil MaGlass
19-10-2017, 06:13 PM
I said NO for next season, but, I would take him until the end of this one, could you just imagine him knockin his pan in tae skelp the The hun, now that wid be worth seein.

Ronniekirk
19-10-2017, 07:39 PM

If he doesnt think we need another striker i would be worried Big Dave clearly isnt working out and he isnt even scoring fior development squad
Murray appears out of favour after he went those three gsmes without scoring ,Boyle has gone off the boil scoring wise ,and in recent weeks Stokes hasnt set the heathet on fire ,hence we arent winning many games
When he first csme in he identified this as sn issue but at present am not sure he has improved us in the goslscoring department to date
But if current scoring rate doesnt increase ihe is bound to be looking to bring someone in i would think That may mean moving Bug Dave on ifwe can

sixtwo
19-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Nope. He is a slippery twat and he Is rotten

eastmainsmsh
19-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Id rather have roger

Eyrie
19-10-2017, 09:58 PM
Id rather have roger

One for the older posters to appreciate :thumbsup:

Sammy7nil
19-10-2017, 10:24 PM
Nope. He is a slippery twat and he Is rotten

Well thought out and constructive post. :confused:

Firestarter
19-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Id rather have roger

Just for the corner flag celebration I'm with you.

JohnMcM
20-10-2017, 01:52 PM
No. My personal slant is I'd much rather see us develop our youngsters with first team game time. As substitutes, or rotational places, whatever, anything NL sees fit.