PDA

View Full Version : Allan McGraw - Inducted into Scottish Ha'll of Fame

iwasthere1972
16-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Think he only played about 60 games for us but I was there the night he scored against Dundee at Tynecastle when we beat them 2-1 in the semi final of the League Cup in October 1968.

Great player. Great memories.

Firestarter
16-10-2017, 06:21 PM
That the former Morton manager?

iwasthere1972
16-10-2017, 06:26 PM
That the former Morton manager?

:agree:

DarlingtonHibee
16-10-2017, 06:27 PM
Before my time but from what I've read he was a great player and a gentleman.

oneone73
16-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Part of the first Hibs team I memorised: Wilson Duncan Davis Stanton Madsen McGraw Scott Quinn Stein Cormack Stevenson.

iwasthere1972
16-10-2017, 06:35 PM
Part of the first Hibs team I memorised: Wilson Duncan Davis Stanton Madsen McGraw Scott Quinn Stein Cormack Stevenson.

Me too. The names just run off your tongue. Can't imagine anyone doing the same in 50 years time with today's team.

madsen5
16-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Me too. The names just run off your tongue. Can't imagine anyone doing the same in 50 years time with today's team.

Great player I was there as well if I remember correctly was he not injured and came back on limping and scored the winner.
Or is my memory going .

iwasthere1972
16-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Great player I was there as well if I remember correctly was he not injured and came back on limping and scored the winner.
Or is my memory going .

I know he was injured.

vahibbie
16-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Or is my memory going .
That's what I remember also. One of my favourite games that one.

CentreLine
16-10-2017, 06:48 PM

Add me to the list for whom that was our first team. Happy memories standing at the centre line from the east terrace

blackpoolhibs
16-10-2017, 07:00 PM
That is the first team that i could reel off without thinking, i remember that game, and he did play up front because he was injured.

Not sure of the crowd, but it seemed huge although i was only 8. :greengrin

iwasthere1972
16-10-2017, 07:06 PM
That is the first team that i could reel off without thinking, i remember that game, and he did play up front because he was injured.

Not sure of the crowd, but it seemed huge although i was only 8. :greengrin

Just under 20K. :agree:

ronaldo7
16-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Or is my memory going .

A big bandage round his knee, and he slid in on the 6 yard box to score. I was there.

Courtesy of Tom Wright, Hibs Historical Trust.

Originally a centre half with Renfrew Juniors, Allan McGraw soon discovered that he was better at scoring goals than stopping them. Joining Morton in 1961 he quickly became a goalscoring sensation and would eventually achieve the British goalscoring record of 58 goals in the one season, 51 in the league from just 35 games and another seven in cup ties including the equaliser against Hibs in the 1963 League Cup Semi Final and the winning goal in the replay.
After five seasons at Cappielow during which time he had scored the phenomenal total of 116 goals from just 137 games he was snapped up by the Hibs manager Bob Shankly for around £18,000 just in time for the start of the 1966/67 season.
Perhaps surprisingly considering his phenomenal goalscoring record he would soon be moved back to wing half but still managed to score 23 goals during his three seasons at Easter Road. He is probably best remembered for scoring the winner against Dundee in the 1968 League Cup semi final at Tynecastle with his leg heavily bandaged and appearing incapable of movement.
During his career he would receive several pain killing injections that would ultimately lead to a long term injury that would not only shorten his career, but would require the use of walking sticks in later life. After a short spell as a guest player with Toronto City he would later sign for Linfield before a return to Morton. His old injury however would severely curtail his playing career and he would later manage the Cappielow side for several years.

blackpoolhibs
16-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Just under 20K. :agree:

Christ i thought it was much more than that?

Feed McGraw
16-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Congratulations Allan, a well deserved honour. Lets have a wee rendition of your song : " Feed McGraw, McGraw, he`s ayeways on the ba`, Feed McGraw, Feed McGraw. :thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
16-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Congratulations Allan, a well deserved honour. Lets have a wee rendition of your song : " Feed McGraw, McGraw, he`s ayeways on the ba`, Feed McGraw, Feed McGraw. :thumbsup:

Sang that a few times. :aok:

Feed McGraw
16-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Sang that a few times. :aok: Great days. Great player. :aok:

Firestarter
16-10-2017, 08:57 PM
:agree:

Good guy with a massive contribution to football well deserved. Derek McInness learned a lot from him.

Stantons Angel
16-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Or is my memory going .

He went off the field for treatment and came back on with his knee all strapped up and during a "stramash in the goalmouth" the ball hit of his knee and into the net. This goal won us the game that night!

IberianHibernian
16-10-2017, 10:43 PM
Think he only played about 60 games for us but I was there the night he scored against Dundee at Tynecastle when we beat them 2-1 in the semi final of the League Cup in October 1968.

Great player. Great memories.So that was the year that the final was delayed till spring cause of fire at Hampden ? Dundee used to bring a big crowd to ER for cup matches in early 70s so 68 semi must have been a big occasion .

southsider
17-10-2017, 01:05 PM
So that was the year that the final was delayed till spring cause of fire at Hampden ? Dundee used to bring a big crowd to ER for cup matches in early 70s so 68 semi must have been a big occasion .
By the time the delayed final come around in the Spring of 1969 we had sold Colin Stein to the Huns and his replacement, Joe McBride was cup tied. Lost 6-2 and were 6-0 down when my dad took me home in tears.

madsen5
17-10-2017, 01:25 PM
He went off the field for treatment and came back on with his knee all strapped up and during a "stramash in the goalmouth" the ball hit of his knee and into the net. This goal won us the game that night!
Good to know one bit of my brains working!
He really deserves this honour for his contribution to
The game.

eastterrace
17-10-2017, 03:00 PM
By the time the delayed final come around in the Spring of 1969 we had sold Colin Stein to the Huns and his replacement, Joe McBride was cup tied. Lost 6-2 and were 6-0 down when my dad took me home in tears.

Yes I left a 6-0 , it was the start of cup finals were we never really got into them as we were always goals down early doors, until that great day in May

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PeeJay
17-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Great club servant and THAT goal at Tynecastle in the LC semi is what legends are made of, surely - pity there are no highlights on utube or whatever ...

Roxyhibee
17-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Ali McGraw was a big Hibby name for me in the 60's. My dad took me and my best mate (who was a Jambo) along to the semi - he mentioned it just the other week, how he remembered it clearly and hated that Hibs had won that night.! Haha..

Yes, the long awaited Final after the fire, no Stein and after the game (which I remember as being quite a sunny hot day.?) heading to our green double decker SMT bus 6 nil down.. Devastated.

Well done though Ali. Thoroughly deserved.

Onion
17-10-2017, 06:11 PM
A big bandage round his knee, and he slid in on the 6 yard box to score. I was there.

Courtesy of Tom Wright, Hibs Historical Trust.

Originally a centre half with Renfrew Juniors, Allan McGraw soon discovered that he was better at scoring goals than stopping them. Joining Morton in 1961 he quickly became a goalscoring sensation and would eventually achieve the British goalscoring record of 58 goals in the one season, 51 in the league from just 35 games and another seven in cup ties including the equaliser against Hibs in the 1963 League Cup Semi Final and the winning goal in the replay.
After five seasons at Cappielow during which time he had scored the phenomenal total of 116 goals from just 137 games he was snapped up by the Hibs manager Bob Shankly for around £18,000 just in time for the start of the 1966/67 season.
Perhaps surprisingly considering his phenomenal goalscoring record he would soon be moved back to wing half but still managed to score 23 goals during his three seasons at Easter Road. He is probably best remembered for scoring the winner against Dundee in the 1968 League Cup semi final at Tynecastle with his leg heavily bandaged and appearing incapable of movement.
During his career he would receive several pain killing injections that would ultimately lead to a long term injury that would not only shorten his career, but would require the use of walking sticks in later life. After a short spell as a guest player with Toronto City he would later sign for Linfield before a return to Morton. His old injury however would severely curtail his playing career and he would later manage the Cappielow side for several years.

Alan McGraw was one of my very first Hibs heroes for the winner he scored in that semifinal when badly injured. Was later horrified to hear how all the injections he received during his career lead to long term problems. Still a hero.

ancient hibee
17-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Remember vividly how he got the ball into the net and then bashed his injured knee against the post as he slid in.Full of guts.

Colr
17-10-2017, 06:51 PM
His son Mark played for Hibs for a bit as well.

Ómaigh-Hib
17-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Oops: I missed the heading, and started to wonder what the beautiful star of "Love Story" had to do with Scottish football.

(That's Ali McGraw - actress - to all you philistines.)

southsider
18-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Oops: I missed the heading, and started to wonder what the beautiful star of "Love Story" had to do with Scottish football.

(That's Ali McGraw - actress - to all you philistines.)
Who will now be coming up for 80 years old !

scm70nyd1973
19-10-2017, 09:02 AM
His son Mark played for Hibs for a bit as well.

He did too - thought that he was gonna be a great prospect but it didn't really work out for him. I think that he once came on as a sub in a league game against the Soapdodgers at Hampden and scored quickly to make it 2-2 (McGinlay scored first for us mibbies ?) . I was so disappointed that the headline the next day wasn't "Quick Draw McGraw" . Back on topic - well done Allan - from what I heard he is a real good guy who has suffered badly over the years from football related injuries - hope he is doing okay the noo !

Valencia
21-10-2017, 03:13 PM

Great player. Great memories.
He was injured, strapped up, and hobbled back onto the park - launched himself at the ball to score and was carried off behind the goal - if my memory serves me right

Valencia
21-10-2017, 03:14 PM
Just see this my memory no that bad