PDA

View Full Version : Scotland up to 19th in UEFA rankings - 2nd seeds?

KWJ
16-10-2017, 01:44 PM
I see we're up to 29th in the FIFA rankings which means we're 19th in UEFA. As there are 10 groups for qualifying does this mean we would be 2nd seeds which, if played to, would give us automatic promotion?

Cue us losing to Netherlands in friendly and dropping to 4th seeds before getting a group of death.

patlowe
16-10-2017, 01:59 PM
I see we're up to 29th in the FIFA rankings which means we're 19th in UEFA. As there are 10 groups for qualifying does this mean we would be 2nd seeds which, if played to, would give us automatic promotion?

Cue us losing to Netherlands in friendly and dropping to 4th seeds before getting a group of death.

Too late for us I think as the Nations League seedings have already been established.

LaMotta
16-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Levein left us 70th in the world rankings.

Whatever his failings, the progress Strachan made to the national team is clear.

Ronniekirk
17-10-2017, 08:32 AM
Levein left us 70th in the world rankings.

Whatever his failings, the progress Strachan made to the national team is clear.

Yep but his failings resulted in us not qualifying for Major Tournaments Would he have revamped the squad and succeeded the next time ,we will never know but despite the progress he made most fans thought the time was right for change Their is a price to be paid for being stubborn and he has paid it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firestarter
17-10-2017, 08:38 AM
Too late for us I think as the Nations League seedings have already been established.

Nations League is separate from Euro 2020 normal qualifying.

patlowe
17-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Nations League is separate from Euro 2020 normal qualifying.

Fair enough - I thought the seeding for the Euro 2020 qualifying was going to be based on the Nations League but to be honest I can't get my head around it!

Michael
17-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Fair enough - I thought the seeding for the Euro 2020 qualifying was going to be based on the Nations League but to be honest I can't get my head around it!

Qualifying is the same as it ever was. Only difference is that 4 of the places in the competition come from Nations League (for teams that didn't make it in normal qualifying).

patlowe
17-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Qualifying is the same as it ever was. Only difference is that 4 of the places in the competition come from Nations League (for teams that didn't make it in normal qualifying).

This site (http://www.footballseeding.com/international-tournaments/euro-2020/) seems to suggest it will be based on Nations League finish - ie we can't get any higher than 3rd seed based on where we've already been placed for the the NL. Not sure what our seeding was for the previous Euro qualifying though in terms of whether that would be an improvement or not.

hulk
17-10-2017, 11:33 AM
This website explains things pretty well and there is an extract below. The UEFA nations league is relevant (didn't know that) and means we can only be in pot 3 or 4 from 6. http://www.footballseeding.com/international-tournaments/euro-2020/. 6 teams from the Nations League group 3 (Scotlands group) will be in Pot 3 and the remaining 9 in Pot 4.

"Seeding of teams into the six drawing pots will be based on results of Nations League 2018/2019 group stage (which will run before start of classic qualification - from September to November 2018). For example Pot 1 will include best 10 teams in overall ranking from League A, Pot 2 will include worst 2 teams from League A and best 8 teams from League B and so on. Overall ranking is based on position in group, then earned points, goal difference, scored goal, scored away goals, number of wins, number of away wins, disciplinary points, coefficient. In other words, the group winners will always be best-ranked (among teams from same League). Position of these four winners will then be based on points, goal difference etc. The group runners-up will be ranked on 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th position. Then follow next positions and then next Leagues."

NAE NOOKIE
17-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Seeding in football, especially international football, is a nonsense. In club football its only purpose is to ensure that the big clubs stick around to maximise the TV audience. In international football if UEFA and FIFA can come out with a believable theory of how countries with populations the size of Scotland, Denmark and Norway can on any consistent basis match the long term results of Italy, Germany, England, Brazil or Argentina I would love to hear it.

At the very least the small clubs, who if put together have a combined support which dwarves that of any of the so called giants, should force UEFA to once every three years have an open draw for the European competitions where every club comes in at the same round and follow that by an open draw for the group stages .......... would it not be refreshing to see a small club make a European final.

The same with the Euros and World cup groups ........... at least once every 3 competitions give the small countries a chance with the luck of the draw, football will be all the better for it ..... seeding is nothing more than sanctioned cheating !!!

Big_Franck
17-10-2017, 11:35 AM

It has changed a little bit. From what I understand of the new qualifying rules there will be no play-offs for the next Euros. In our last group the top two (Germany and Poland) qualified automatically while after their jammy result again the Germans Ireland got the play-off spot. For Euro 2020 the top two of each group qualify direct and 3rd place is out.

The 4 spaces that were given to the play-off winners for Euro 2016 are now given to the winners of the different groups (by rankings) in the Nations League.

patlowe
17-10-2017, 11:38 AM
This website explains things pretty well and there is an extract below. The UEFA nations league is relevant (didn't know that) and means we can only be in pot 3 or 4 from 6. http://www.footballseeding.com/international-tournaments/euro-2020/. 6 teams from the Nations League group 3 (Scotlands group) will be in Pot 3 and the remaining 9 in Pot 4.

"Seeding of teams into the six drawing pots will be based on results of Nations League 2018/2019 group stage (which will run before start of classic qualification - from September to November 2018). For example Pot 1 will include best 10 teams in overall ranking from League A, Pot 2 will include worst 2 teams from League A and best 8 teams from League B and so on. Overall ranking is based on position in group, then earned points, goal difference, scored goal, scored away goals, number of wins, number of away wins, disciplinary points, coefficient. In other words, the group winners will always be best-ranked (among teams from same League). Position of these four winners will then be based on points, goal difference etc. The group runners-up will be ranked on 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th position. Then follow next positions and then next Leagues."

I guess if we had sneaked into Pot 2 for the NL then the games would be harder and the likelihood would be us ending up in Pot 3 for the Euro qualifiers anyway. So 3rd seems about right - a decent chance of either a playoff spot through the Nations League or automatic qualification through the standard setup.

1van Sprou7e
17-10-2017, 11:47 AM
See McLeish is keen for the job, what do we think of that?

Did well last time before bailing off after about 10 games :rolleyes:

Firestarter
17-10-2017, 12:20 PM
See McLeish is keen for the job, what do we think of that?

Did well last time before bailing off after about 10 games :rolleyes:

He's past it. More I think about it the more I hope it's lambert.

1van Sprou7e
17-10-2017, 12:25 PM
He's past it. More I think about it the more I hope it's lambert.

Really? What has he done since he left Norwich?

Honestly our best bet is probably to get a foreign manager in

Stubbsy anyone? :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
17-10-2017, 12:36 PM
the SFA should go begging to Gogs Strachan to come back as manager :agree::aok:

Firestarter
17-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Really? What has he done since he left Norwich?

Honestly our best bet is probably to get a foreign manager in

Stubbsy anyone? :greengrin

He had a nightmare at Blackburn and done well at Wolves. Importantly he's always learning on how to improve.

blackpoolhibs
17-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Any new man just has to play McGinn and McGregor, and hope Brown and Armstrong are not injured although how we fit them all in i'm not sure.

Maybe they just need to replace them, again i'm not sure?

1van Sprou7e
17-10-2017, 12:59 PM
As great as Brown is it's maybe time for him to step back and allow a younger player to take his role

Does Shinnie not play a similar position for Aberdeen? Hell even McGeouch is a good option for that position

green day
17-10-2017, 01:45 PM

Not sure I even want to go to this one, with matches in so many different countries it will be difficult to get the atmosphere which you get when one country hosts it.

theonlywayisup
17-10-2017, 01:55 PM
FIFA World Rankings quiz

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41634343

Only got 5 out of 10.

Firestarter
17-10-2017, 02:07 PM
As great as Brown is it's maybe time for him to step back and allow a younger player to take his role

Does Shinnie not play a similar position for Aberdeen? Hell even McGeouch is a good option for that position

No danger there's anyone near browns level. Mcgeough is as poor a shout as hanlon at this stage.

1van Sprou7e
17-10-2017, 02:11 PM
No danger there's anyone near browns level. Mcgeough is as poor a shout as hanlon at this stage.

Yes but the problem is with how much we rely on Broonie, he's getting on and won't be available for every game

Personally I think a fully fit and in-form Hanlon would be a good player for Scotland but I can see why you'd disagree

Firestarter
17-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Yes but the problem is with how much we rely on Broonie, he's getting on and won't be available for every game

Personally I think a fully fit and in-form Hanlon would be a good player for Scotland but I can see why you'd disagree

👍