PDA

View Full Version : GMS was Offside

MB62
16-10-2017, 07:32 AM
Didn't think this at the game, thought it was just a very good goal, but having watched the highlights on Sportscene, and did the old 'freeze frame' thing, I reckon there is a good chance the Dons goal was offside.
Admittedly it is very close, and there is a case for the attacking player to get the advantage, but the assistant ref (linesman) was about a yard or more in front of the play and had no chance of even guessing if it was or not. His job is to be level with the last defender, he was nowhere near Lewis, so couldn't possibly tell.

Blaster
16-10-2017, 08:01 AM
I thought at the game it was offside. However the problem with your argument is that Stevenson was not the last defender. One or both centre halfs were behind him

HibbySpurs
16-10-2017, 08:02 AM
I didn't think he was offside to be fair. Haven't seen the highlights though.

MB62
16-10-2017, 08:11 AM
I thought at the game it was offside. However the problem with your argument is that Stevenson was not the last defender. One or both centre halfs were behind him

No they weren't Paul Hanlon was in no mans land further up the pitch and Efe was also on his way back,(as was Whittaker) so neither centre half was the last man, it WAS LEWIS.

I am taking my opinion on the cut of the grass, of course if that is not straight then who knows? :greengrin

Blaster
16-10-2017, 08:18 AM
No they weren't Paul Hanlon was in no mans land further up the pitch and Efe was also on his way back,(as was Whittaker) so neither centre half was the last man, it WAS LEWIS.

I am taking my opinion on the cut of the grass, of course if that is not straight then who knows? :greengrin

You are right about hanlon but just watched it again and I reckon ambrose is 4cm behind Lewis 😄

Danderhall Hibs
16-10-2017, 08:19 AM
Going by LS' reaction he thought it was onside and he knew he'd made a mistake.

Keith_M
16-10-2017, 09:13 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/7c/e1/597ce10adb3b16b0c28215aede379c3d--straws-memes.jpg

:wink:

JeMeSouviens
16-10-2017, 09:43 AM
https://i.imgur.com/qdruK1H.jpg

Bishop Hibee
16-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Looks marginally offside although I can’t blame the linesman as I thought he was onside at the time. Imagine we had decent highlights coverage like the EPL where they can clear up decisions like this 🤔

JeMeSouviens
16-10-2017, 09:58 AM
Looks marginally offside although I can’t blame the linesman as I thought he was onside at the time. Imagine we had decent highlights coverage like the EPL where they can clear up decisions like this 🤔

:agree: If he's offside, it's by a bawhair. Lewis is caught on his heels and trying to turn while Mackay-Steven is running full tilt. The attacker should get the benefit of the doubt anyway.

Michael
16-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Who cares? We couldn't even score so doesn't matter much.

Bishop Hibee
16-10-2017, 10:08 AM
If you look at the linesman he’s not in line. His angle would be more likely to give McKay-Stevens onside.

RoYO!
16-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Who cares? We couldn't even score so doesn't matter much.

Well given they only scored one, if it had been ruled out we'd have got two very good points back to back.

That said, looks like efe is playing him on, even if he isn't judged to be in line with Lewis.

Danderhall Hibs
16-10-2017, 10:29 AM

Both Stevenson and Ambrose look in line with him.

MB62
16-10-2017, 10:29 AM
If you look at the linesman he’s not in line. His angle would be more likely to give McKay-Stevens onside.

And that's the point. The ref has been, quite rightly, getting pelters for his performance, but on THE major decision of the game, the linesman is unable to give the decision because he is ahead of play, not even looking for offside.

To answer another question, the difference is, IF he is offside, we get a point rather than nothing.
There's boxes of straws get grasped at at fitba games around the world every week. Seeing the still frame confirms it was extremely close, and therefore, IMO, worth debate? It cost us a point and gave Aberdeen something to fight for and to hold on to.

Tornadoes70
16-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Didn't think this at the game, thought it was just a very good goal, but having watched the highlights on Sportscene, and did the old 'freeze frame' thing, I reckon there is a good chance the Dons goal was offside.
Admittedly it is very close, and there is a case for the attacking player to get the advantage, but the assistant ref (linesman) was about a yard or more in front of the play and had no chance of even guessing if it was or not. His job is to be level with the last defender, he was nowhere near Lewis, so couldn't possibly tell.

If that is the case it should have been incumbent for him to raise his flag for offside. The ghost hearts goal against i think it was Partick should never been given by a referee who similarly couldn't possibly tell from the position he was in that the ball had crossed the line.

Remember Leigh's goal that crossed the line by around two feet that wasn't given.

These incidents change games.

GGTTH

Keith_M
16-10-2017, 11:26 AM
The game moves very quickly and the officials shouldn't be judged on a possible offside where the attacker may have been a couple of inches ahead of the defender. It's not humanly possible to judge these things with such a fine degree of accuracy, so I think the goal was fair enough.

What made a much bigger impact on the game was the reluctance of the Ref to actually penalise the Aberdeen players making blatant professional fouls.

Almost every decent break Hibs made forward was dealt with by the player being hauled or hacked down, with cards few and far between (for them, at least). The second half saw a clear red card incident but not even a yellow was shown. Even their manager knew it, hence the immediate substitution.

Baldy Foghorn
16-10-2017, 11:57 AM
https://i.imgur.com/qdruK1H.jpg

Onside.

MB62
16-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Onside.

Not for me it's not, fractionally offside IMO.

Michael
16-10-2017, 01:35 PM

Stevenson's hand is playing him on I reckon.

StevieCowan
16-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Stevenson's hand is playing him on I reckon.

Hands can’t play anyone onside 😂

Michael
16-10-2017, 01:50 PM
Hands can’t play anyone onside 😂

How not? It's a body part.

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-10-2017, 01:52 PM
How not? It's a body part.

Not a body part that can be used to make any contact with the ball(for an outfield player) so doesn't count.

Michael
16-10-2017, 01:57 PM
Not a body part that can be used to make any contact with the ball(for an outfield player) so doesn't count.

It can under certain circumstances.

lyonhibs
16-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Not legitimately it can't. I don't think he's offside but the rule re: body parts is that it has to be a body part that can play the ball (and thus score) in open play - i.e. not hands

Michael
16-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Not legitimately it can't. I don't think he's offside but the rule re: body parts is that it has to be a body part that can play the ball (and thus score) in open play - i.e. not hands

I'd like to see the rule written down. But I don't see why hands would be exempt, because they can still legally influence the game.

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-10-2017, 02:10 PM
I'd like to see the rule written down. But I don't see why hands would be exempt, because they can still legally influence the game.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171016/983e05434d525c5b37d606a5a951ffd8.png

Third point down

Michael
16-10-2017, 02:18 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171016/983e05434d525c5b37d606a5a951ffd8.png

Third point down

But what are these rules? FA specific rules?

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-10-2017, 02:26 PM
But what are these rules? FA specific rules?

It's the offside rule for football. Just happens to be an FA page. We have the exact same offside rule in Scotland than they do in England.

Michael
16-10-2017, 02:27 PM
It's the offside rule for football. Just happens to be an FA page. We have the exact same offside rule in Scotland than they do in England.

Ok, he's offside!

calumhibee1
16-10-2017, 03:10 PM

But in the pic the ball has already been played, only just of course. So McKay Steven would have been half a step further back and probably onside.

basehibby
16-10-2017, 03:52 PM
The game moves very quickly and the officials shouldn't be judged on a possible offside where the attacker may have been a couple of inches ahead of the defender. It's not humanly possible to judge these things with such a fine degree of accuracy, so I think the goal was fair enough.

What made a much bigger impact on the game was the reluctance of the Ref to actually penalise the Aberdeen players making blatant professional fouls.

Almost every decent break Hibs made forward was dealt with by the player being hauled or hacked down, with cards few and far between (for them, at least). The second half saw a clear red card incident but not even a yellow was shown. Even their manager knew it, hence the immediate substitution.

This!

It's something which has irritated me immensely in the past - particularly in derbies - where numerous non-decisions in favour of, usually the more cynical side (ie failing to issue deserved yellow cards or letting constant niggly fouls go unpunished) end up potentially making the difference in tight games.

It's not that any particular decision would necessarily be a game changer but when you add up all the attacks unfairly impeded and defenders allowed to continue making full blooded challenges when they should be walking a tightrope you can only conclude that the outcome of a tight game could easily be influenced. That is WHY certain managers encourage their players to cheat afterall and it's up to the officials to clamp down on it.

I would not accuse McLean of any kind of bias on Saturday - only of adhering to the prevailing standards in Scottish refereeing - which far too often allow cloggers and cynical play to prevail over skill and ability.

danhibees1875
16-10-2017, 05:05 PM
I can't remember all of the build up to the goal, but why is our defence all over the place?

I think the picture looks about even, and the advantage goes to the striker. I also can't see how you could really fault the linesman's position - a yard is nothing to be behind/infront by when you consider the speed of play and the other things he's meant to be looking at.

greenlex
16-10-2017, 06:05 PM
I thought it was offside at the time. It’s actually unusual a linesman would give it as the attacker us closest to him so they usually look offside even when they we not. Difficult call but at the time had it been my call I would have flagged.

eastcoasthibby
16-10-2017, 06:41 PM
My initial thought from almost in line with lewis was it was offside but on looking at it it was marginal ! In respect if the east stand linesman he spent the first half struggling to get himself up with play making his ability to make an offside decision really difficult and that was proven on another couple of occassions.! Apart from the offside issue he didnt seem to see anything untoward during the whole game ...including Shinnie trying to take Boyle out before May did, his contribution on Saturday was on the minus scale as he failed to make any decisions beyond a couple of throw ins that were blatantly obvious ! At least he kept abreast of Steven MCLean by having an equally inept poor game..... I reckon you could take a fan from each team every game as a linesman and it would be pretty similar to what most linespersons do in a game, saving clubs probably £500-£600 a game.

Onceinawhile
16-10-2017, 07:06 PM

Stevie may did get booked. But agreed. Looked a red card all day.

Tomsk
16-10-2017, 08:36 PM
I can't remember all of the build up to the goal, but why is our defence all over the place?

I think the picture looks about even, and the advantage goes to the striker. I also can't see how you could really fault the linesman's position - a yard is nothing to be behind/infront by when you consider the speed of play and the other things he's meant to be looking at.

May comes short and his run pulls Hanlon into no-mans land. This allows GMS to run into a big space behind Stevenson. At the last moment Hanlon realises he is out of position, but it's too late. Stevenson is flat on his heels and gets caught trying to turn. The gaps between the players are huge and the back four/defensive mids are not working as a unit -- stick or twist but at least close the gaps.

It's actually a very good goal with all the Aberdeen players involved doing their jobs perfectly. Hanlon could have stayed and he would have just swept up GMS's run, but that's easy to say with hindsight.

Monktonhall 7
17-10-2017, 10:45 AM
This!

It's something which has irritated me immensely in the past - particularly in derbies - where numerous non-decisions in favour of, usually the more cynical side (ie failing to issue deserved yellow cards or letting constant niggly fouls go unpunished) end up potentially making the difference in tight games.

It's not that any particular decision would necessarily be a game changer but when you add up all the attacks unfairly impeded and defenders allowed to continue making full blooded challenges when they should be walking a tightrope you can only conclude that the outcome of a tight game could easily be influenced. That is WHY certain managers encourage their players to cheat afterall and it's up to the officials to clamp down on it.

I would not accuse McLean of any kind of bias on Saturday - only of adhering to the prevailing standards in Scottish refereeing - which far too often allow cloggers and cynical play to prevail over skill and ability.
I agree 100%. If the SFA did its job we would see much better entertaining football. I'm sure this is not a popular view, but at the Comeback Derby on the way to winning the cup, Thompson rightly gave us a foul every time they did what Aberdeen did to us on Saturday, and the footballing team where the winners.

Kato
17-10-2017, 10:57 AM

Dundee Utd's success in the 80's was, partly, built on these tactics - that and constantly passing the ball back to the goalkeeper to kill games. As soon as the passback was banned they were rooked.