PDA

View Full Version : Could selling mcginn be crucial to hibs moving forward?

AgentDaleCooper
15-10-2017, 01:08 PM
This might not be a popular thought, but here's my thinking. Mcginn is absolutely our best player, but his qualities can be found in other players. We have too many midfielders at the moment, to the extent that central midfielders are being played out wide just to get them in the team.

We also need a striking partner for stokes. Goals cost money. Therefor...we need to sell SJM. A sad thought, but maybe the solution? Could be a kenny miller type situation...?

frazeHFC
15-10-2017, 01:10 PM
We'd be doing very well to find anyone nearly as good as McGinn, although I said the same when Scott Allan left. It'll inevitably happen but I'm hoping it's not any time soon.

where'stheslope
15-10-2017, 01:14 PM
This might not be a popular thought, but here's my thinking. Mcginn is absolutely our best player, but his qualities can be found in other players. We have too many midfielders at the moment, to the extent that central midfielders are being played out wide just to get them in the team.

We also need a striking partner for stokes. Goals cost money. Therefor...we need to sell SJM. A sad thought, but maybe the solution? Could be a kenny miller type situation...?

Unfortunately we don't get all the monies as St Mirren get 33% of the sale price!

We could still get a good amount left over, but what is the cost of a good replacement?

Then you have money in the bank, so whoever you go after their club wants a higher price than they are worth!

Its a catch 22, are you better with the player you know or take a chance on something better????

Pete
15-10-2017, 01:27 PM
Unfortunately we don't get all the monies as St Mirren get 33% of the sale price!

33%

Is that correct?

Billy Whizz
15-10-2017, 01:30 PM
33%

Is that correct?

Been posted on here a few times. Think it came from the ex St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmore

Hi Heid Yin
15-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Selling John McGinn would not project Hibs forward in any sense, unless we replace him with a regular-goal-scoring midfielder.

With his close ball control and pace, Mcginn does not run at defences enough for my liking.
Apart from the odd game here and there, this has been a failing in his game for as far back as I recall.
The Celtic game was a rarity in that he made himself available just outside the box and took potshots at goal.
He has it in his game to take the pressure off Stokes and our other forwards but sits too far back once he has done his bit of trickery in deeper positions.
The potential is there, of course, to lift his game to that other level on a regular basis.

So, for me, unless we replace him with a midfielder that chips in regularly with goals Hibs will not move forward for the better.
In fact, as gifted as our other midfielders are, none contribute regularly to our goals for column. A major weakness in this current Hibs side.

TorMTH
15-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Selling John McGinn would not project Hibs forward in any sense, unless we replace him with a regular-goal-scoring midfielder.

With his close ball control and pace, Mcginn does not run at defences enough for my liking.
Apart from the odd game here and there, this has been a failing in his game for as far back as I recall.
The Celtic game was a rarity in that he made himself available just outside the box and took potshots at goal.
He has it in his game to take the pressure off Stokes and our other forwards but sits too far back once he has done his bit of trickery in deeper positions.
The potential is there, of course, to lift his game to that other level on a regular basis.

So, for me, unless we replace him with a midfielder that chips in regularly with goals Hibs will not move forward for the better.
In fact, as gifted as our other midfielders are, none contribute regularly to our goals for column. A major weakness in this current Hibs side.Commons!

Sent from my P12 using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
15-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Aye , sell our best player to move forward 👀 . Like we did with the golden generation. It's a big fat no from me . We should be breaking the bank to offer McGinn a bumper deal , then after we win the treble, start the bidding at 15m plus :)

andy1875
15-10-2017, 02:34 PM
I’d sell John McGinn in January if the money is right and that is of course, if there is zero chance of him signing a contract extension. A new contact would be ideal but being realistic, we need to maximise the money we get for him.

If we got between 2-2.5million in January id accept that. Bring in Hendo/Commons in Jan and that, with cash in the bank would feel like good business.

Allow us to perhaps look at better reinforcements throughout the squad, for next season, with more cash to offer players out of contract etc.

Bishop Hibee
15-10-2017, 04:06 PM
If Celtc want him I’d take £3.5m and Ryan Christie. We certainly have to use a good slice of the cash to improve the team when he eventually leaves. I thought he was excellent again yesterday.

greenlex
15-10-2017, 04:19 PM
If the right bid is made we should sell. I’m not so sure it’s crucual to moving forward though.

Ringothedog
15-10-2017, 04:33 PM
If Celtc want him I’d take £3.5m and Ryan Christie. We certainly have to use a good slice of the cash to improve the team when he eventually leaves. I thought he was excellent again yesterday.

Aberdeen will not be happy with that deal as Christie is their player

SON OF PADDY
15-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Aberdeen will not be happy with that deal as Christie is their player

Is he not on a season long loan deal at Aberdeen?

Bishop Hibee
15-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Is he not on a season long loan deal at Aberdeen?

Yes.

Ringothedog
15-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Apologies I was certain he had signed permanently for Aberdeen

CropleyWasGod
15-10-2017, 05:10 PM
33%

Is that correct?Not according to Rod.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Hi Heid Yin
15-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Commons!

Sent from my P12 using Tapatalk

Sadly, much as I admired a fit Commons, I feel that his playing days are over. Someone of his ilk ( a goal-scoring midfielder), however, would certainly improve us.

hibby6270
15-10-2017, 09:16 PM
No. Selling SJM isn’t crucial to Hibs moving forward but ultimately it will happen one day.
It’s the replacements that are brought in that will help us to move forward.

So, my take on it is, if SJM does go in January, we defo bring in Hendo and Moult as long term signings (2 1/2 or 3 1/2 year deals) with the money raised. Commons as well if funds stretch for a short/medium term 6 or 18 months.

That wouldn’t be a bad return imo. :thumbsup:

Ringothedog
15-10-2017, 09:27 PM
33%

Is that correct?

Not according to our chairman

AgentDaleCooper
15-10-2017, 10:27 PM
No. Selling SJM isn’t crucial to Hibs moving forward but ultimately it will happen one day.
It’s the replacements that are brought in that will help us to move forward.

So, my take on it is, if SJM does go in January, we defo bring in Hendo and Moult as long term signings (2 1/2 or 3 1/2 year deals) with the money raised. Commons as well if funds stretch for a short/medium term 6 or 18 months.

That wouldn’t be a bad return imo. :thumbsup:

that's basically my thinking. i think if we signed hendo and moult we would be overall a better team - we'd have 2 great strikers and someone who certainly knows how to deliver, something we are lacking at the moment. mcginn is a brilliant player, but i do genuinely think that what he brings is also capable of being brought by other players, albeit a few of them combined, whereas he is the complete package.

weecounty hibby
16-10-2017, 06:26 AM
Been posted on here a few times. Think it came from the ex St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmore

It's also been posted on here more than a few times that Rod said at an AGM that wasn't the case. I believe Rod!

mjhibby
16-10-2017, 07:55 AM
33%

Is that correct?

Spoke to a guy who is from the West and he tells me it was 33% if we sold him by a certain date which has passed. Don't know what the % is but suspect it's either 15 or 20%. Sounds plausible.

NAE NOOKIE
16-10-2017, 10:25 AM
If the money is used wisely it could help us move forward, but its spending that money that's the problem. I would love to see us sign Moult, but the truth is he would cost at least £500,000 and there are 50 odd clubs in England who can offer twice that and pay him at least twice what we could in wages.
Henderson would be a much more likely prospect, but he has a long way to go to reach SJM's level and he isn't going to unless either he or his advisors or both face up to the fact that he is never going to be a regular in Celtic's midfield. Celtic are spending 4 million on players and can easily afford to do so ... for that kind of money you get better players than Liam Henderson, at least on paper anyway.

If we end up with a net profit of say 2 million quid for SJM we might spend £200,000 on a promising player from another Scottish club who is still a wee bit under the radar like SJM was .... the rest will be spent on an indoor full sized pitch at East Mains and the helipad.