PDA

View Full Version : Boyle

smithy_hibees
15-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Lennon played him left wing yesterday.... why??
To stop Logan pushing on? As tbh Boyle is good wide right running at people but Logan is the best right back in Scotland by a mile.. going forward Boyle was never going trouble him and didn't at any point..
taking out one our biggest assists this season at home to stop a right back isn't great..
Thoughts ??

lord bunberry
15-10-2017, 09:28 AM
He was much better when he was switched to the right wing, he should always start on that side.

18Hibee75
15-10-2017, 09:29 AM
Felt the same way as you, it never really worked. Shay Logan really impressed me and had boyle in his back pocket to be fair. Heard a few Aberdeen fans slating Boyle after the game, Brandon Barker impressed me when he came on, he's happy to go either side of a player which is a defenders nightmare.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

frazeHFC
15-10-2017, 09:31 AM
Agree, he had much more joy against Shinnie, who himself is a great player but doesn't have the pace of Logan. 2 brilliant full backs they have in Logan and Shinnie.

macca70
15-10-2017, 09:31 AM
Yeah, that was a strange 1.

Logan dealt with everything that came near him, I don’t remember a Hibs player going past him once, especially in the 2nd half.

In hindsight, I think it may have been a better idea to have some more defensive minded at left midfield as they were definitely targeting our left side and Stevenson as a weakness. It was clear to see, in the 1st half that every one of there attacks was coming down the east stand side and that’s exactly where they got the goal from.

B.H.F.C
15-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Even accounting for the fact that Boyle was on the wrong side he was still poor yesterday. I thought he was off it right from the start and not his usual self.

J-C
15-10-2017, 09:50 AM
I noticed Swanson gave Logan more of a run around in the 10 minutes he was on the pitch than Boyle did the whole game, also noticeable Boyle contribution was better when he switched to his natural right side. If we're playing Stokes up top on his own we need to give him some help, playing players in the right positions would help.

DTS
15-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Yes he’s not a left winger however Boyle doesn’t help himself. He always turns back on himself thus meaning he ends on his left foot when he’s playing that side on countless occasions he had the ball on the inside left and could’ve cut in but turned out. He was probably our most ineffective player yesterday. Started the season well but since injury hasn’t been great. He also never looks to give an offer other than hugging the touch line which just slows up play and prevents the full back going forward he needs to improve his awareness of when to hold and when to look to get behind the full back, look at the goal yesterday gms makes that run countless times every game Boyle never does

LaMotta
15-10-2017, 11:32 AM
On another day, with a referee acting as he should do, Boyles pace would have resulted in at least 2 further bookings and a straight red for Aberdeen. As should have been the case yesterday.

Even on a poor day for him he is valuable to us.

My_Wife_Camille
15-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Boyle is a good option but not a good enough player for where we want to be. He has his moments but he's a squad player/backup at best. The difference between him and someone like Gary Mackay Steven is frightening

cleanyman
15-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Took too long to change it. Logan is a quality player and he had an easy 70 minutes

Billy Whizz
15-10-2017, 11:41 AM
Form has just dipped a bit. Wonder if Murray will come in against Celtic on Saturday

Hibs90
15-10-2017, 01:09 PM
He looked scared against Logan, and should have been switched to the right side almost immediately.

southern hibby
15-10-2017, 02:31 PM
I would have switched him to the right immediately after their number 3 was booked and let him run at him. Aberdeen let their fast player run at Lewis after he was booked and low and behold.......

GGTTH

LaMotta
15-10-2017, 02:37 PM
I would have switched him to the right immediately after their number 3 was booked and let him run at him. Aberdeen let their fast player run at Lewis after he was booked and low and behold.......

GGTTH

:agree:

Tyler Durden
15-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Yes he’s not a left winger however Boyle doesn’t help himself. He always turns back on himself thus meaning he ends on his left foot when he’s playing that side on countless occasions he had the ball on the inside left and could’ve cut in but turned out. He was probably our most ineffective player yesterday. Started the season well but since injury hasn’t been great. He also never looks to give an offer other than hugging the touch line which just slows up play and prevents the full back going forward he needs to improve his awareness of when to hold and when to look to get behind the full back, look at the goal yesterday gms makes that run countless times every game Boyle never does

Boyle can definitely improve but his movement is actually good and he's made the run you talk about plenty of times.

He got behind the full back against both Partick and Well, winning penalties in both games.

He made the outside to in run against Celtic at Parkhead too and was through on goal.

He was poor yesterday but he's still a massive asset to us

Pretty Boy
15-10-2017, 03:17 PM
I like Boyle but he clearly has his limitations.

Is he good enough to play on the left and cut inside and regularly get a shot or in swinging cross away? Or is he good enough to beat a man on the outside and put in consistently good crosses on his weaker foot? I'm not convinced. Stick him on the right and let him get his head down and have a run on his stronger foot. It's where his strengths lie.

DTS
15-10-2017, 05:07 PM
Boyle can definitely improve but his movement is actually good and he's made the run you talk about plenty of times.

He got behind the full back against both Partick and Well, winning penalties in both games.

He made the outside to in run against Celtic at Parkhead too and was through on goal.

He was poor yesterday but he's still a massive asset to us

I like Boyle and rate him as one of our most important players but he does not make they offers as much as he should. Once or twice a game isn’t enough. The fact the 3 you’ve listed show how effective it can be shows why he should be looking to do it pretty much every chance he gets, because let’s be honest if he does and gets in behind they’re not catching him

Tyler Durden
15-10-2017, 05:17 PM
I like Boyle and rate him as one of our most important players but he does not make they offers as much as he should. Once or twice a game isn’t enough. The fact the 3 you’ve listed show how effective it can be shows why he should be looking to do it pretty much every chance he gets, because let’s be honest if he does and gets in behind they’re not catching him

Hopefully he can continue to improve as he's come a long way under Lennon.

The analysis of the Hibs game just now on Sportscene showed a few examples where the service to him was poor, aswell as an example where he failed to make the right run.

Still a work in progress

Godsahibby
16-10-2017, 06:30 AM
He's come a long way but for me pace aside he's got nothing as a footballer. He gets a lot of the ball but Rarely does anything with it squanders position always wants more time when he wants to shoot. Nice guy but no where near good enough.

How many times have we seen him do what GMS did on Saturday getting in behind the defence to score? How many times have we seen him use that one so well to drive past the full back into space and actually put a good cross into the box?

I'd maybe keep hold of him as an impact sub but he shouldn't be anywhere near our starting 11.

Hibstrooper
16-10-2017, 06:55 AM
He's come a long way but for me pace aside he's got nothing as a footballer. He gets a lot of the ball but Rarely does anything with it squanders position always wants more time when he wants to shoot. Nice guy but no where near good enough.

How many times have we seen him do what GMS did on Saturday getting in behind the defence to score? How many times have we seen him use that one so well to drive past the full back into space and actually put a good cross into the box?

I'd maybe keep hold of him as an impact sub but he shouldn't be anywhere near our starting 11.

I think that’s overly harsh. Early part of the season he was one of our best players and has scored some crackers for us.

Most wingers are inconsistent, it’s the nature of the game they are asked to play. Yes he had a poor game on Saturday but he played most of it on his wrong side against one of the best full backs in the league. Look at GMS who you used as an example, that was only his 2nd start since August and by all accounts he’s been hot & cold for Aberdeen.

I think Boyle is a vital player for us and will start more games than not.

pacoluna
16-10-2017, 07:10 AM
we offered absolutely nothing on the left hand side on Saturday until swanson came on.

GreenOnions
16-10-2017, 08:59 AM
I think maybe the reason Boyle was played on the left is because Lewis is less effective going forward than Whittaker.

If this is the case it can make sense to play a wide striker ahead of the more defensive full-back and give Whittaker more licence to get forward on the other side.