PDA

View Full Version : Shoot on sight

eastcoasthibby
15-10-2017, 07:23 AM
The ongoing frustration of most of our players not shooting when they get a half decent sight of goal within range, continues in my view to cost us every week and reflects our lack of goals in games where teams pack the box defensively.
If they miss they miss, if the.keeper saves it unlucky, if the keeper parries it and we get a chance from that great, if we score from the shot that's what it's all about ...
We seem to overplay or delay far too much in dangerous areas all to the benefit.
of the other team ..let's be more ruthless in these positions and see what happens !!

green day
15-10-2017, 07:49 AM
The ongoing frustration of most of our players not shooting when they get a half decent sight of goal within range, continues in my view to cost us every week and reflects our lack of goals in games where teams pack the box defensively.
If they miss they miss, if the.keeper saves it unlucky, if the keeper parries it and we get a chance from that great, if we score from the shot that's what it's all about ...
We seem to overplay or delay far too much in dangerous areas all to the benefit.
of the other team ..let's be more ruthless in these positions and see what happens !!

We had 13 shots to Aberdeens 7
We had 4 on target to Aberdeens 2

Our problem is converting chances to goals - the full table rarely lies and our 14 goals for and 13 against puts us slightly ahead of the "crap" teams, which is probably right given how we are performing.

Scouse Hibee
15-10-2017, 09:41 AM
We had 13 shots to Aberdeens 7
We had 4 on target to Aberdeens 2

Our problem is converting chances to goals - the full table rarely lies and our 14 goals for and 13 against puts us slightly ahead of the "crap" teams, which is probably right given how we are performing.

Those stats don't tell the real story though, many times the shot is taken to late and just ends up being charged down or crowded out. Lost count the number of times we just don't take the shot instant in that split second when the opportunity arises.

green day
15-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Those stats don't tell the real story though, many times the shot is taken to late and just ends up being charged down or crowded out. Lost count the number of times we just don't take the shot instant in that split second when the opportunity arises.

Dont disagree, hence my other comment about converting chances.

The stattos tell us we had X shots, but to be honest they are probably including the sclaffs in the last 5 minutes when the Sheep had 6 defenders on and there was no way through.

The step up in quality in this league is telling - you need to take your chances or you are on the back foot.

Frogga
15-10-2017, 10:08 AM
I had a few non-Hibee friends with me yesterday and they were saying this too. Just hit the bloody thing!

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Keith_M
15-10-2017, 10:28 AM
This was driving me nuts yesterday. The number of times one of our players collected the ball just outside the penalty box, directly in front of goal, and chose to pass it out wide instead of trying a shot.

Even Stokes did it a couple of times, which really surprised me.

Just Jimmy
15-10-2017, 10:35 AM
In the Bobby Charlton doc on BBC the other night he said he was told early in his career to always shoot. That the crowd will forgive you if you shoot and miss but not if you don't shoot.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

emerald green
15-10-2017, 11:07 AM
Those stats don't tell the real story though, many times the shot is taken too late and just ends up being charged down or crowded out. Lost count the number of times we just don't take the shot instant in that split second when the opportunity arises.

:agree: Some players want to take one touch too many, and then it's too late and the chance is gone. It's all about speed of thought and correct decision making.

hibbycraig
15-10-2017, 11:13 AM
This has annoyed me for years. Any decent player should be able to hit the target from 20 yards.

Hi Heid Yin
15-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Neil Lennon has raised this issue on numerous occasions: poor decision-making in the final third, including not taking pot-shots at the goal.
It's frustrating to see us execute one more pass when a shot at goal is on.
I'm convinced that our points tally would be up there with both Aberdeen and Celtic if our shot-shy midfielders had a go regularly. So what if they don't come off most of the time, just have a go for goodness sake.
Opposition defenders know that all they have to do is shackle Stokes or any other Hibs attacker and they will not concede, simply because they know that it's highly unlikely any other Hibs outfielder will score.

ancient hibee
15-10-2017, 07:41 PM
Interested to read today that no team in the English Premiership has 50% of shots on target-best is 47%(newcastle)and worst 19%(Crystal Palace)

theonlywayisup
15-10-2017, 08:11 PM
I've got a numpty in front of me who shouts "just hit it" when a player takes a second touch or chooses to pass. And then shouts "take a second touch" or "look for the pass" when a player"just hits it".

The players can't win with so many experts in the stands.

Deansy
15-10-2017, 09:01 PM
'Tippy-tappy football / every goal must be Barcelonaesque' - it's something that's dogged us for a good few seasons now !. Seems like the '1st-time shot' is a thing of the past with Hibs-players ??.