PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Aberdeen 14 October)

Jonnyboy
14-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Over the many years I’ve watched Hibs v Aberdeen games I’ve often been impressed with the Dons and their style of football. Today brought me the opposite reaction, watching a Dons side playing anti-football and using fair means and foul to beat a Hibs team that played well enough but failed to deliver where it matters, in the final third. To be fair, Aberdeen did have passages of play worthy of their predecessors, but they were few and far between as getting eleven men behind the ball and kicking any Hibs player that looked to be causing them danger went largely unpunished by a poor referee.

I’m trying hard not to offer up my thoughts as a rant against a side that defended in depth and took every opportunity to waste time, after taking the lead in the 38th minute, but it’s not an easy task and at the end of the day, Hibs just weren’t cute enough to capitalise on their dour approach.

I felt that for the first fifteen minutes or so we played like we did at Celtic Park and stood off the Dons, allowing them time in possession. After that, we started to play a bit and were unlucky not to score from a Whittaker header and a cracking Slivka drive that hit the outside of the post. What was worrying me was the amount of second ball we were allowing Aberdeen to have and that cost us the opening and only goal of the game. Slack play allowed McLean to gather the ball in, put a super ball through behind Stevenson and Mackay-Steven did what Martin Boyle failed to do the whole game in anticipating the pass before drawing Laidlaw off his line and slotting the ball low beyond him.

From that moment on, there was only one side looking to score and it wasn’t the Dons. Their negativity surprised me because I thought a team sharing top spot in our league would play decent football and try and add to their opener. Instead they all got behind the ball when not in possession and resorted to hacking down any Hibs player that looked like they may cause a problem. Referee Steven McLean was, to my mind, overly lenient of these tactics and totally baffled the crowd by allowing such hacks to go unpunished whilst booking John McGinn for a challenge where the Hibs man clearly won the ball.

A goal down at half time was the same situation that we faced at Celtic Park and I hoped we could go on and play like we did there with Stokes bringing out a quality save from a free kick, not long into the second period. For long spells we dominated the ball but just couldn’t find that crucial pass as the Dons packed their penalty area. On numerous occasions we held off from taking a shot at goal, allowing blocks to deflect or clear those efforts and although the referee quite rightly added five minutes of additional time we just couldn’t get the equaliser I felt our efforts deserved.

The players

Laidlaw – no chance with the goal and commanded his area pretty well throughout.

Whitty – had what I feel has been his best performance since his return. If I could pick a fault it was with his final cross into the box.

Efe – played well and his anticipation of where the ball might arrive is a joy to behold. In true Efe fashion, he threw in a couple of nut-megs today, just to keep us on our toes.

Hanlon – was battered and barged throughout by Rooney but stood his ground, was excellent in the air/on the ground and earned the sponsors man of the match, a decision I wholeheartedly agree with.

Lewis – badly caught out for the goal but given the lack of support offered by Boyler he did pretty well and though he probably deserved his booking he must have been mightily peeved when similar challenges from Aberdeen players went unpunished.

Slivka – a quiet game and I’ll say again what I’ve said before, he is wasted in the wide right position. Was unlucky when his snap shot hit the outside of the post as, had it been on target it was a goal, Joe Lewis in the Aberdeen goal being rooted to the spot.

Dylan – the wee man is such a good footballer and great in possession. If I were to highlight what I perceive as a fault in his game it would be that he sometimes delays the obvious pass unnecessarily.

Marv – big man was excellent today, mopping up when team mates got into trouble. At first I was surprised he was being subbed but it soon dawned on me that NL was trying to enhance our attacking option while realising that Aberdeen had settled for the one goal and would rarely venture forward.

SJM – I wish I had a pound for every time he was scythed down today. It was disgraceful that Steven McLean allowed it to go largely unpunished and I’m still mystified as to why McGinn’s brilliantly timed tackle in midfield earned a yellow when he clearly and fairly won the ball.

Boyler – Martin was not at the races today. Seemed to be caught on his heels a lot and unable to anticipate where Stokes might play the ball too.

Stokes – such a clever player who reads the game so well. He was unlucky with his free kick and unlucky to be let down in terms of getting support up to him when he had the ball.

Barker – took a while to settle in but later in the game had a number of telling runs and it was obvious the Dons didn’t like that as they crowded him out on numerous occasions.

Danny – easily barged off the ball but he’s gutsy, I’ll give him that. His magic feet got him into dangerous positions a few times but there were so many red shirts in the box it was impossible for him to break through.

Simon – I wanted him on at half time for Boyle as I felt his pace and willingness to track back would have served us better. As it was he got ten minutes and little or no opportunity to hurt them.

Neil Lennon – I listened to Lenny’s after match interview and it was hard to disagree with what he said although I feel he over-egged it in saying we were excellent. We played well enough but not in the areas that matter and given that Aberdeen’s tactic after scoring was obvious, I felt the subs should have been made sooner. One thing I did notice, deep into injury time was Neil finger pointing at what I can only assume was an irate fan. I’d like to have heard that exchange!

Referee – all the ‘good will’ I felt towards him following his performance on 21st May 2016, went out of the window today. This was a baffling and inept performance by the man with the whistle but I guess he may think he’s done his job as both sets of fans were booing him during the game.

CallumLaidlaw
14-10-2017, 06:38 PM
I always enjoy these reports JC but today in particular, I agree with every single point you make. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
14-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Great analysis. McLean was atrocious and seems to have regressed hugely allowed them to get away with murder, gms Christie Logan should have been booked and how May didn't walk for a horrific foul on Boyle only he will know.

Ilovehibs
14-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Absolutely spot on Jonnyboy. Top report. Agree with every single word. You are better than most of the newspaper journos out there.

Seveno
14-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Spot on as always. In the past, I would always have been happy with McLean as referee but he was awful today. SJM must be black and blue.

lord bunberry
14-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Excellent summary John. McGinn seemed to be brought down every time he got on the ball. I thought the ref was far too lenient today.

Pretty Boy
14-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Agree with much of that.

We played well enough in certain areas but offered little in the final 3rd against a team content to take what they had.

KingFranck
14-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Well summed up mate.
How they got away with some of the time wasting and constant fouling of our players in particular John McGinn baffled me.
Also in the first half could someone tell the East stand linesman that when a player is onside when the ball is played means he is not offside ?

Argylehibby
14-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Great summing up of the day JB. I said at the game we lack the skills that Aberdeen have in the darker side of the game. Blocking runs, little nudges etc that disrupt the flow and more often than not today went unpunished. How did their no. 7 get away with a wee chat for that block on Lewis in the first half.

In McKay-Stevens they have the most detestable little **** in Scottish football. He dives, cheats and niggles all game long, and has done his entire career, yet never gets pulled up for it.

The ref had a great game from our point of view in the cup final, since then I feel he's looked to redress that with the hierarchy in the game here and has had some shockers against us.

WeveGotMcginn
14-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Bang on with that summary. Amount of times ballboys would throw it right to an Aberdeen player to take goal kick or throw ins just for Logan/lewis in particular to kick it away again was unbelievable

SingaporeHibs
14-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Great overall summary and I agree with the vast majority. The Dons were well drilled in their game plan and it worked. The ref was terrible today. No surprise perhaps. Overall, in a word, frustrating.

JimBHibees
14-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Great summing up of the day JB. I said at the game we lack the skills that Aberdeen have in the darker side of the game. Blocking runs, little nudges etc that disrupt the flow and more often than not today went unpunished. How did their no. 7 get away with a wee chat for that block on Lewis in the first half.

In McKay-Stevens they have the most detestable little **** in Scottish football. He dives, cheats and niggles all game long, and has done his entire career, yet never gets pulled up for it.

The ref had a great game from our point of view in the cup final, since then I feel he's looked to redress that with the hierarchy in the game here and has had some shockers against us.

Agree the ref was as weak as a kitten and done us over big time. His constant lack of application of the laws was staggering and helped Aberdeen massively given their main tactic was to foul cynically. May trying to break boyles leg was such a blatant red it was laughable.

SChibs
14-10-2017, 07:21 PM

I've met gms and thought he was a decent guy but that changed today. No idea why he felt the need to gesture at the 'family section' either. Fair enough of folk in the east are giving you it tight but the family section? what's the need?

cabbageandribs1875
14-10-2017, 07:26 PM
sure i read somewhere gms is/was a hibby

or maybe naw

SideBurns
14-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Johnny, no argument from me on that summary. And, as for MoM Hanlon, hopefully the next Scotland manager (along with the media and a section of the Hibs support) will notice the classy centre-half constantly ignored for the international selection he richly deserves.

SirDavidsNapper
14-10-2017, 07:36 PM
Just had a look on their forum. They're worse than the yams for calling themselves "the famous".

haagsehibby
14-10-2017, 07:49 PM
It was the classic Yam tactic of fouling by rotation. First one then the next and avoiding yellows.

O'Rourke3
14-10-2017, 07:51 PM
Great summary. McLean was very poor today. Only point of debate was Dylan. His passing was well off today. No lack of willing but a bad day in the office.

Danderhall Hibs
14-10-2017, 08:15 PM
Completely agree Jonny. I was surprised that a team with so many footballers in it could be so negative. I said I'd be disappointed by that (obviously not the result) and a few folk missed my point - why would McInnes buy players like May and Christie if he wants to use them as cloggers?

ehf
14-10-2017, 08:25 PM
"Anti-football" is perhaps a little harsh but I know what you mean. It was reminiscent of so many of those games in the championship; Aberdeen had 11 players behind the ball for most of the second half. Ultimately, we have to take it as a tribute that a side that are joint top of the SPL were happy with a smash and grab.

The ref let himself down very badly. I have never seen anything like Christie's time-wasting antics when he was being subbed and in letting it go unpunished McLean just accepted disrespect.

Not sure I would hold Laidlaw blameless for the goal; he was beaten from quite a tight angle.

Also thought Stokes was not at his best today; he seemed to realise he was not going to get much change out of McKenna and Arnason.

Paul Hanlon was immense; his tackle on GMS out on our left flank midway through the second half (on on of the few occasions the Dons broke forward) was quite magnificent.

Agree about the lack of a cutting edge in the final third; we never got the break of the ball today but the tendency to over-elaborate made me pine for Sparky (or even Jason).

Booked4Being-Ugly
14-10-2017, 08:38 PM
"Anti-football" is perhaps a little harsh but I know what you mean. It was reminiscent of so many of those games in the championship; Aberdeen had 11 players behind the ball for most of the second half. Ultimately, we have to take it as a tribute that a side that are joint top of the SPL were happy with a smash and grab.

The ref let himself down very badly. I have never seen anything like Christie's time-wasting antics when he was being subbed and in letting it go unpunished McLean just accepted disrespect.

Not sure I would hold Laidlaw blameless for the goal; he was beaten from quite a tight angle.

Also thought Stokes was not at his best today; he seemed to realise he was not going to get much change out of McKenna and Arnason.

Paul Hanlon was immense; his tackle on GMS out on our left flank midway through the second half (on on of the few occasions the Dons broke forward) was quite magnificent.

Agree about the lack of a cutting edge in the final third; we never got the break of the ball today but the tendency to over-elaborate made me pine for Sparky (or even Jason).I don't think so - that's exactly how i saw it. The sad thing was it was effective and the 'sport' of football got lost in the game due to the Dons tactics. That was the most disappointing aspect for me.

Fred Perry
14-10-2017, 08:48 PM
I enjoy reading your reports Jonny thanks as always for putting your thoughts down for us again.
only point I would have differing opinion is re Whitaker, I thought he was a mile off it in the second half, opinions eh !!

matty_f
14-10-2017, 08:55 PM
I don't think so - that's exactly how i saw it. The sad thing was it was effective and the 'sport' of football got lost in the game due to the Dons tactics. That was the most disappointing aspect for me.

They were a disgrace. Anti football is exactly the term I'd use for it.

matty_f
14-10-2017, 08:56 PM
Excellent summary, btw, Jonnyboy. :agree:

JimBHibees
14-10-2017, 09:05 PM
They were a disgrace. Anti football is exactly the term I'd use for it.

Absolutely they quite simply got a way with murder. Yellow cards put a player under pressure and can change the game as can the red card for May. Summed up when Arnesen blatantly fouled Dylan then 5 seconds later SJM is booked for winning the ball. Shambolic by McLean.

hibbydog
14-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Another very good summary. Thanks for posting.

But I disagree with our complaints about some of their tactics. The fouling of McGinn was disgusting, yes, but that aside they taught us a lesson in tactics.

Time wasting and packing their defence is up to them, they were a goal up.

Any team is free to play as they want. Sadly we huffed and puffed and were not good enough to break the down.

Taking the moral high ground about anti-football doesn’t cover up for our own shortcomings. We lacked quality in the final third, no composure in promising situations and were lacking height/ strength against a very well organised and physical defence.

All IMO of course

cleanyman
14-10-2017, 09:11 PM
I don't actually see anything wrong with what Aberdeen did today.

It was excellent game management and that is something we have been lacking this season.

staunchhibby
14-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Can the so called compliance officer not take a look at the atrocious challenge by May.

Sir David Gray
14-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Their goalkeeper should have been booked for timewasting. It started in about the 65th minute.

kaimendhibs
14-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Aberdeen were brutal today. I agree, Anti football, Falkirk esque

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
14-10-2017, 09:22 PM

It was excellent game management and that is something we have been lacking this season.

Game management. Mmmmn professional speak like "there was contact", "he was entitled to go down" "took one for the team there" "sending off was harsh tackle was on the half way line". Dons got off with stuff we didn't and were better at it hence SJM booking which was just after a clear assault wide right that neither ref nor lino saw any problem with. Mark Oxley was booked for the same ritual Every time he took a bye kick. Lewis was reminded 4 or 5 times to move it. Christie and GMS given talkings to then continued to foul. Game management newspeak for timewasting,cheating and hacking. Doubleplusgood innit?

Hiber-nation
14-10-2017, 09:30 PM

Yep, if we'd gone to Pittodrie and played like that everyone would be raving about how great it is to win ugly etc etc.

hibbydog
14-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Yep, if we'd gone to Pittodrie and played like that everyone would be raving about how great it is to win ugly etc etc.

Agreed.

The moralising about anti football is getting tiresome. I’d go so far as to say that playing nicely but getting nothing is engrained in our culture as a club.

We really need to man up and get on with it

CorrieHibs
14-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Over the many years I’ve watched Hibs v Aberdeen games I’ve often been impressed with the Dons and their style of football. Today brought me the opposite reaction, watching a Dons side playing anti-football and using fair means and foul to beat a Hibs team that played well enough but failed to deliver where it matters, in the final third. To be fair, Aberdeen did have passages of play worthy of their predecessors, but they were few and far between as getting eleven men behind the ball and kicking any Hibs player that looked to be causing them danger went largely unpunished by a poor referee.

I’m trying hard not to offer up my thoughts as a rant against a side that defended in depth and took every opportunity to waste time, after taking the lead in the 38th minute, but it’s not an easy task and at the end of the day, Hibs just weren’t cute enough to capitalise on their dour approach.

I felt that for the first fifteen minutes or so we played like we did at Celtic Park and stood off the Dons, allowing them time in possession. After that, we started to play a bit and were unlucky not to score from a Whittaker header and a cracking Slivka drive that hit the outside of the post. What was worrying me was the amount of second ball we were allowing Aberdeen to have and that cost us the opening and only goal of the game. Slack play allowed McLean to gather the ball in, put a super ball through behind Stevenson and Mackay-Steven did what Martin Boyle failed to do the whole game in anticipating the pass before drawing Laidlaw off his line and slotting the ball low beyond him.

From that moment on, there was only one side looking to score and it wasn’t the Dons. Their negativity surprised me because I thought a team sharing top spot in our league would play decent football and try and add to their opener. Instead they all got behind the ball when not in possession and resorted to hacking down any Hibs player that looked like they may cause a problem. Referee Steven McLean was, to my mind, overly lenient of these tactics and totally baffled the crowd by allowing such hacks to go unpunished whilst booking John McGinn for a challenge where the Hibs man clearly won the ball.

A goal down at half time was the same situation that we faced at Celtic Park and I hoped we could go on and play like we did there with Stokes bringing out a quality save from a free kick, not long into the second period. For long spells we dominated the ball but just couldn’t find that crucial pass as the Dons packed their penalty area. On numerous occasions we held off from taking a shot at goal, allowing blocks to deflect or clear those efforts and although the referee quite rightly added five minutes of additional time we just couldn’t get the equaliser I felt our efforts deserved.

The players

Laidlaw – no chance with the goal and commanded his area pretty well throughout.

Whitty – had what I feel has been his best performance since his return. If I could pick a fault it was with his final cross into the box.

Efe – played well and his anticipation of where the ball might arrive is a joy to behold. In true Efe fashion, he threw in a couple of nut-megs today, just to keep us on our toes.

Hanlon – was battered and barged throughout by Rooney but stood his ground, was excellent in the air/on the ground and earned the sponsors man of the match, a decision I wholeheartedly agree with.

Lewis – badly caught out for the goal but given the lack of support offered by Boyler he did pretty well and though he probably deserved his booking he must have been mightily peeved when similar challenges from Aberdeen players went unpunished.

Slivka – a quiet game and I’ll say again what I’ve said before, he is wasted in the wide right position. Was unlucky when his snap shot hit the outside of the post as, had it been on target it was a goal, Joe Lewis in the Aberdeen goal being rooted to the spot.

Dylan – the wee man is such a good footballer and great in possession. If I were to highlight what I perceive as a fault in his game it would be that he sometimes delays the obvious pass unnecessarily.

Marv – big man was excellent today, mopping up when team mates got into trouble. At first I was surprised he was being subbed but it soon dawned on me that NL was trying to enhance our attacking option while realising that Aberdeen had settled for the one goal and would rarely venture forward.

SJM – I wish I had a pound for every time he was scythed down today. It was disgraceful that Steven McLean allowed it to go largely unpunished and I’m still mystified as to why McGinn’s brilliantly timed tackle in midfield earned a yellow when he clearly and fairly won the ball.

Boyler – Martin was not at the races today. Seemed to be caught on his heels a lot and unable to anticipate where Stokes might play the ball too.

Stokes – such a clever player who reads the game so well. He was unlucky with his free kick and unlucky to be let down in terms of getting support up to him when he had the ball.

Barker – took a while to settle in but later in the game had a number of telling runs and it was obvious the Dons didn’t like that as they crowded him out on numerous occasions.

Danny – easily barged off the ball but he’s gutsy, I’ll give him that. His magic feet got him into dangerous positions a few times but there were so many red shirts in the box it was impossible for him to break through.

Simon – I wanted him on at half time for Boyle as I felt his pace and willingness to track back would have served us better. As it was he got ten minutes and little or no opportunity to hurt them.

Neil Lennon – I listened to Lenny’s after match interview and it was hard to disagree with what he said although I feel he over-egged it in saying we were excellent. We played well enough but not in the areas that matter and given that Aberdeen’s tactic after scoring was obvious, I felt the subs should have been made sooner. One thing I did notice, deep into injury time was Neil finger pointing at what I can only assume was an irate fan. I’d like to have heard that exchange!

Referee – all the ‘good will’ I felt towards him following his performance on 21st May 2016, went out of the window today. This was a baffling and inept performance by the man with the whistle but I guess he may think he’s done his job as both sets of fans were booing him during the game.

Great summary. Spot on

matty_f
14-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Game management. Mmmmn professional speak like "there was contact", "he was entitled to go down" "took one for the team there" "sending off was harsh tackle was on the half way line". Dons got off with stuff we didn't and were better at it hence SJM booking which was just after a clear assault wide right that neither ref nor lino saw any problem with. Mark Oxley was booked for the same ritual Every time he took a bye kick. Lewis was reminded 4 or 5 times to move it. Christie and GMS given talkings to then continued to foul. Game management newspeak for timewasting,cheating and hacking. Doubleplusgood innit?
Cracking post.

Thegreenside
14-10-2017, 09:58 PM
Do not have a clue how anyone thought we where the better team today. Did not create one clear cut chance all game. The dons looked very dangerous the first 35-40 mins

CallumLaidlaw
14-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Do not have a clue how anyone thought we where the better team today. Did not create one clear cut chance all game. The dons looked very dangerous the first 35-40 mins

Dons started better. We grew into game and from 15-45 mins it was very even. Hibs much more dominant in 2nd half.

Firestarter
14-10-2017, 10:06 PM
We go up there snatch a 1-0 nobody complains. They done what they had to do to sit top of the league, comfortably.

Thegreenside
14-10-2017, 10:08 PM
Dons started better. We grew into game and from 15-45 mins it was very even. Hibs much more dominant in 2nd half.

agreed we played in but only when they where happy to sit. we didn't have a killer pass/chance the whole game. they looked very comfortable with the 1-0

hibby6270
14-10-2017, 10:39 PM
Great summary Johnnyboy.

Aberdeen were as ineffectual in the final third as we were today. Only difference was we were the ones at least trying to break through in that final part of the pitch. Their ‘park the bus’ tactics after they scored totally spoiled what COULD have been a great game. It was like being back in the Championship but with the addition of some fairly brutal fouling on their part to break up play.:rolleyes:

NAE NOOKIE
15-10-2017, 12:16 AM
Good summary of the match and not a lot to disagree with. Another poster made a good point about Aberdeen using a tactic often employed by the Yams of fouling in rotation so that nobody is looking at a second booking. What Aberdeen did was indeed good game management, but if that's quantified by hacking down any Hibs player who looked like breaking away and time wasting for pretty well all of the 2nd half then lets hope we don't have to suffer too many Aberdeens at ER this season.

green day
15-10-2017, 06:43 AM
We go up there snatch a 1-0 nobody complains. They done what they had to do to sit top of the league, comfortably.

Agree 100%.

The Don's were not pretty yesterday, but their midfield was much sharper than ours.

That they also do the dirty work to secure 3 points means they are a clever team.

I just hope we are not saying the same "big boys hit us" sob story after the Jambos come.

LancsHibs
15-10-2017, 07:54 AM
Aberdeen did a professional job on us and left overjoyed with their 3 points. It was a massive game for them, evident by the way their players & fans celebrated at the end. McInnes got his tactics right and 'plan A' unfolded nicely for them. It wasn't pretty but they won and that's what matters, they got the goal and contained us to creating very little. It was McInnes 1 Lennon 0 yesterday.

Mikey
15-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Nice one John. The press might as well give up on reporting on Hibs games as you won't find anything better than your summaries anywhere.

Billy Whizz
15-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Thorough report JB. I actually enjoyed the game yesterday. Had all the things we like about Scottish football, heavy tackles, bookings, and both teams giving it 100%. Paul Hanlon was definitely head and shoulders above everyone else, well done Paul. Our defence nullified May and Rooney, would hardly know they were playing
As everyone else has said, it’s in the last 1/3 we’ve been disappointing

CMurdoch
15-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Thorough report JB. I actually enjoyed the game yesterday. Had all the things we like about Scottish football, heavy tackles, bookings, and both teams giving it 100%. Paul Hanlon was definitely head and shoulders above everyone else, well done Paul. Our defence nullified May and Rooney, would hardly know they were playing
As everyone else has said, it’s in the last 1/3 we’ve been disappointing

Good post BW. I really enjoyed the game yesterday. It benchmarks where we are as a team and confirmed where our weakness lies.
Great report by the OP. Agree with all your player assessments.

Stantons Angel
15-10-2017, 06:09 PM
" One thing I did notice, deep into injury time was Neil finger pointing at what I can only assume was an irate fan. I’d like to have heard that exchange!"

Seemingly Lennon reacted to a supporter behind him shouting that Hibs were rubbish by telling him to " F--- Off, what game are you at?"

weecounty hibby
15-10-2017, 08:01 PM
McInnes has done a great job there and finds ways to win. For the whole second half yesterday May was playing left back and Rooney was at right back. Was horrible to watch and McLean let them away with murder both in the way he let them foul Hibs players and McGinn in particular and the blatant time wasting. I thought we were ok yesterday and on another day Whittakers header goes in, Slivka shot is the other side of the post, we score one of the half decent efforts from the second half go in and we walk away with a good win. Paul Hanlon is a class act and surely is in line for a call up for the upcoming friendly against Holland

Jonnyboy
15-10-2017, 08:34 PM
" One thing I did notice, deep into injury time was Neil finger pointing at what I can only assume was an irate fan. I’d like to have heard that exchange!"

Seemingly Lennon reacted to a supporter behind him shouting that Hibs were rubbish by telling him to " F--- Off, what game are you at?"

Cheers, I did wonder :aok:

poulton hibs
15-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Great summary as usual.

I thought McGinn got booked for the backchat rather than the foul. He seemed to be yapping at the ref for a while before the card came out. Might be wrong but thats how I saw it.

WeeHibby
18-10-2017, 12:35 PM
Love reading these, thanks JB

CockneyRebel
18-10-2017, 01:12 PM

Do you actually know the rules of the game?

superfurryhibby
18-10-2017, 06:02 PM
agreed we played in but only when they where happy to sit. we didn't have a killer pass/chance the whole game. they looked very comfortable with the 1-0

I think you may need to have a look at the highlights again, we created a fair number of chances.

Decent summary of the game. Cutting edge and a bit of luck running our way. Tactics weren't right either and we hampered our chances by being too cautious.

R'Albin
18-10-2017, 07:16 PM
Do you actually know the rules of the game?

They were dirty at times but effective. I'd love us to go and play like that at Pittodrie and win 1-0 and I'm sure you would too.

Man for man the sides are similar quality but the main difference between the two is that they can see a game like that out while we can't seem to.