PDA

View Full Version : Oli Shaw

G B Young
14-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Never seen him play but he seems to bang in the goals for the development team. Does anyone who watches him regularly think he's ready to make a step-up?

Thecat23
14-10-2017, 06:10 PM
Never seen him play but he seems to bang in the goals for the development team. Does anyone who watches him regularly think he's ready to make a step-up?

I’ve seen him a few times not as much as a few on here though, but I honestly don’t think he’s even close to Prem league standard.

Pretty Boy
14-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Only seen him a couple of times this season but watched him a lot last season. Not ready imo.

Cummings is often quoted as being a success story of being thrown into the 1st team and scoring goals. He certainly ended up a success but it took him 16 (I think) games to get his first goal and he looked lost in a fair few games before that, admittedly with plenty mitigating circumstances.

I'd class Shaw as a bit behind were Jason was at this stage of his development with Hibs.

Bayern Bru
14-10-2017, 07:31 PM
Too lightweight still, I reckon.

Although he nearly got a great goal in Lewy's testimonial, hit the bar.

lucky
15-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Seen him a few times and don’t think he’s ready, I’m not sure he’ll ever be ready but I hope I’m wrong

Ardenttwo
15-10-2017, 12:47 PM
Seen him a few times and don’t think he’s ready, I’m not sure he’ll ever be ready but I hope I’m wrong

Was on bench yesterday Must be something in him

Billy Whizz
15-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Was on bench yesterday Must be something in him

His performances of late in the 20’s, have given him a deserved place on the bench. Not sure if big Dave is injured or not, but his few appearances haven’t merited him, getting much more game time.

Hi Heid Yin
15-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Shaw appears to have an instinctive knack of scoring goals for fun, much as O'Connor and Riordan did.
We won't know what he is capable of unless he gets a run of first team games behind him.
Neil Lennon is bringing him along nicely and will introduce him when he feels the time is right or circumstances dictate.
I keep my fingers crossed that we have a gem on our hands.

LNHibs
16-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Cummings got half a season to get himself up to speed in first team football where he didnt really contibute much. All youngsters should be afforded the chance to come in make mistakes and learn. The likes of Scott Martin & Fraser Murray have rerely played a bad game for us but the chances are wont make it at Hibs as we would rather bring someone in than give the oppertunity.

Tornadoes70
21-10-2017, 03:53 PM

I think today more than proved young Oli who's been banging them in for the development team is ready to challenge for a place in the first team. I genuinely think he'll step up and become a regular goalscorer for us in the years ahead.

Well done today Oli.

:thumbsup:

Heisenberg
21-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Was surprised he got on ahead of Murray but took his chance very well. Promising.

cleanyman
21-10-2017, 04:02 PM
An excellent finish

Well played young man

FifeHibs
21-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Some boy in section B4 had a breakdown down when he came on. These guys are the future. 18 year old and a cup semi, give him the experience of these games and reap the rewards in the future.

HH81
21-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Great finish. Remained cool and calm and slotted it in.

Was it his first touch?

leither17
21-10-2017, 04:17 PM
I’d play him from the start on Tuesday, Stokes needs some support

Hermit Crab
21-10-2017, 04:28 PM

Hmm, not sure about that. Definitely on the bench though.

Northernhibee
21-10-2017, 04:36 PM
Well done to the lad. Fantastic. Needs to knock on now and cement his place in the team - Alex Harris scored his first goal at Hampden in a semi final and he didn't reach his potential.

With the right coaching, hard work and the right direction the lad will be very good however. Bags of potential.

calumhibee1
21-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Some boy in section B4 had a breakdown down when he came on. These guys are the future. 18 year old and a cup semi, give him the experience of these games and reap the rewards in the future.

While I wasn’t going mental and obviously it worked out well it was a huge risk at a time when it was our last throw of the dice in a cup semi. Fair play, it came off, but I was perplexed as to why he done it at the time.

Boyle89
21-10-2017, 04:58 PM
While I wasn’t going mental and obviously it worked out well it was a huge risk at a time when it was our last throw of the dice in a cup semi. Fair play, it came off, but I was perplexed as to why he done it at the time.
Wasnt really a risk. Game was lost by that point and lennon fancied giving a young guy a chance to do it on a big stage. So happy he scored and what a lovely move it was. Timed his run perfectly and a beautiful composed finish.

Onceinawhile
21-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Great finish. Remained cool and calm and slotted it in.

Was it his first touch?

Nah he had another one before it.

calumhibee1
21-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Wasnt really a risk. Game was lost by that point and lennon fancied giving a young guy a chance to do it on a big stage. So happy he scored and what a lovely move it was. Timed his run perfectly and a beautiful composed finish.

The bit in bold is exactly what I thought it smacked as an admission of which to me was a bit silly because the game wasn't lost. We were losing, yes, but the game wasn't lost, as evidenced by the fact we got it back to 3-2 and if Shaw or Stokes had been a couple inches taller either of them may have got an equaliser from Boyles cross.

And yes, I realise Shaw is the player I've mentioned in both of them, and like I said, it worked so fair play, that's why Lennon is the manager and I'm not, but I can't blame people for being a bit sceptical at the time of the sub. I know I was.

Bayern Bru
21-10-2017, 07:28 PM

Possibly because Simon Murray hasn't scored since August while Shaw's scored 9 in his last 6 dev games including 5 in the last week alone.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2017, 07:33 PM
I'd take £3m now.

Hi Heid Yin
21-10-2017, 07:54 PM
Great to see Shaw seize the moment and show us that he can also score goals at the highest level in Scotland. Doing so regularly is now the next question. Will Neil Lennon throw him in against Hearts for example? It's exciting to see a young talent break through. Still early days, but Ollie will go to bed tonight buzzing.
While we're talking of goal scoring, what on earth has become of Murray after his early season goal blitz?

hibs#1
21-10-2017, 08:04 PM
I'd take £3m now.

Pfft 3 million for a goal scorer I'd say closer to 6 then we can talk.

Northernhibee
21-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Pfft 3 million for a goal scorer I'd say closer to 6 then we can talk.

Rubbish. Dembele is valued by Celtic at £35m and he scored two today.

Oli scored half that today so I'd take nothing less than £17.5m.

Sammy7nil
21-10-2017, 08:09 PM

IMHO He would get battered at the moment in a Derby only a cameo slot at best.

bordergreen
21-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Take a bow Oli Shaw, brilliant finish.

Mibbes Aye
21-10-2017, 08:13 PM
The bit in bold is exactly what I thought it smacked as an admission of which to me was a bit silly because the game wasn't lost. We were losing, yes, but the game wasn't lost, as evidenced by the fact we got it back to 3-2 and if Shaw or Stokes had been a couple inches taller either of them may have got an equaliser from Boyles cross.

And yes, I realise Shaw is the player I've mentioned in both of them, and like I said, it worked so fair play, that's why Lennon is the manager and I'm not, but I can't blame people for being a bit sceptical at the time of the sub. I know I was.

In fairness, Oli's pretty tall. Given how light he is, if he was any taller he would probably be at risk whenever there was a strong wind.

Glad to see him get a chance. I've seen him a few times in the dev team, not loads, but enough to form the impression that he has quick feet and an instinct to score. He puts me in mind of Peter Crouch and if he grows into anything even approaching that then we will be very fortunate.

Tornadoes70
21-10-2017, 08:17 PM
I'd take £3m now.

I'd hang tight until we see what type brexit we get. A hard no deal brexit to WTO rules could mean with rocketing inflation his value could be close to 50 million. Mind you it will all be relative with a box of teabags costing 20 pounds so who knows really. Nobody knows as some say.

:greengrin

hibs#1
21-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Rubbish. Dembele is valued by Celtic at £35m and he scored two today.

Oli scored half that today so I'd take nothing less than £17.5m.

That's a fair point.

Smartie
21-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Brilliant movement to get in there in the first place.

Many a time have we had the ball in the position that Whittaker was in but not get an opportunity to score, let alone a goal.

Very encouraging that it came against the best team in the country, in a big game, at the National stadium.

wookie70
21-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Great finish and impact but he doesn't look ready to me. He has the hardest part sorted and that is scoring goals but he looks a good deal below what he needs to be physically and has nowhere near the energy of Murray. I think he is a good option from the bench. No idea of Murray would have scored or even made the run but we were crying out for someone to lead the line and charge about disrupting their defenders, mind you that was the case from the first whistle.

emerald green
21-10-2017, 08:58 PM
The lad looks like a good prospect. Hope he scores many more goals for Hibs. Took his chance well. Put it in the net. Calm and composed. Well done Ollie.

hibeejoy
21-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Fantastic effort from this young lad! Bring him on Mr.Lennon. Cheers!

Tornadoes70
21-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Great finish and impact but he doesn't look ready to me. He has the hardest part sorted and that is scoring goals but he looks a good deal below what he needs to be physically and has nowhere near the energy of Murray. I think he is a good option from the bench. No idea of Murray would have scored or even made the run but we were crying out for someone to lead the line and charge about disrupting their defenders, mind you that was the case from the first whistle.

The tank looked ready yet couldn't buy a goal. Natural goalscorers don't always conform to a certain look. I'm all for giving players who score no matter how they look the chance to shine.

:flag:

Hi Heid Yin
21-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Some posters consider Shaw too lightweight and will only get bullied in a derby at this stage in his development, but cast your mind back to a certain Derek Riordan - now there was skinny and gangly personified, I believe that this did not prevent him scoring goals either.

Hi Heid Yin
21-10-2017, 09:06 PM
The tank looked ready yet couldn't buy a goal. Natural goalscorers don't always conform to a certain look. I'm all for giving players who score no matter how they look the chance to shine.

:flag:

:top marks

Unseen work
22-10-2017, 12:28 AM
He scores goals.

Pre season and today against Celtic he has shown he can score in the first team.

You don’t need strength and pace when you have his intelligence, movement and finishing ability.

His composure is great to see.