PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Hibs v Aberdeen

Pages : 1 [2]

TheGreenMan
14-10-2017, 06:03 PM
They're a negative, big, physical team. Done what they needed to win - fouled, timewasted the lot.

Must be disappointing for them given all the quality attacking players they have.

Aye their fans must be gutted the now

scoopyboy
14-10-2017, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't judge it just on the four home games, although that is what I mentioned. I thought the points dropped at Dundee and Perth told a story. Although on the face of it you could argue a point away from home (particularly at Perth) is decent, I think the way those games went summed us up - lacking in the final third.

When I say I think we are under achieving, that isn't to say we will underachie. But I think we should have at least 4 or 5 extra points on the board which make a big difference in terms of how things look.

Agree BHFC. Should have had a better return points wise than we have, especially at Dens and Perth.

Learning curve IMO.

scoopyboy
14-10-2017, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't disagree with that, based on what I saw this afternoon.

That said, Aberdeen didn't create much either. I felt a draw would have been a fair result today. Aberdeen were no great shakes and got away with a lot of cynical stuff due to a terrible refereeing performance.

First goal was all important, they got it and held on to it through being streetwise.

We have to learn how to do that.

Sir David Gray
14-10-2017, 06:08 PM
The Stevie May challenge on Boyle was disgraceful. As clear a red card as you'll see. Thought Ref was brutal all day but that was particularly shocking.

It was right in front of me and it was a disgraceful tackle. Red card every day of the week.

McLean bottled it.

madhatter
14-10-2017, 06:09 PM
We can only play two up front if we play with a three at the back. And with two centre halfs out injured that is difficult for us just now - or else I think we would be doing it more

4 4 2 doesn't work for us because we get outnumbered 3v2 in the middle of the park.

Murray has a fantastic workrate. Top top notch. Doesn't have the ability (in my view) to play on his own up front - the ball wouldn't stick up there ..

When I saw the teamsheet today, I thought we were going to play a diamond with Boyle and Stokes up top. Clearly wasn't the case. I really don't understand why we didn't go 2 up front earlier, we were in a losing position. Bringing Murray on with 6 minutes left is a bit pointless. Slivka looks a bit awkward out wide (I know he plays there a bit for Lithuania but doesn't look like his natural position).

We may have ended up being 3v2 in the middle but O'Connor is essentially another CB that they are playing in midfield (he makes less runs forward than Bartley) and both are "enforcers".

Smartie
14-10-2017, 06:10 PM
Mental criticising Stokes today.

I thought he worked his socks off, won as much as he could be expected to in the air, and looked dangerous at times.

It wasn't his fault he was so isolated.

It really didn't work in the final third today, but I don't really know why.

My main worry is that it looked like our best team out there, I didn't think it was all that obvious what changes could or should have been made to improve things.

It just felt like one of those days. We lost the first goal, which put us in a difficult position. We were up against a team who had an incredibly cynical gameplan, which was allowed by the referee. They were a decent side who defended well and in numbers, whilst having enough of a potential threat on the park that we couldn't just go gung-ho.

I feel like if we played them again tomorrow, exactly the same thing would happen and I just thought that they were a bit better than us - a better side than their cynical gameplan might suggest. We've certainly got nobody that can play the type of football that May, GMS, McLean, Rooney and Christie played in parts (very brief parts, but they gave glimpses that they could play some lovely stuff).

emerald green
14-10-2017, 06:13 PM
First goal was all important, they got it and held on to it through being streetwise.

We have to learn how to do that.

I agree, but they might not have held on for all 3 points through being streetwise had the referee sent one of them off. All ifs and buts I know.

norhfc
14-10-2017, 06:15 PM
Aberdeens ability to manage the game when they went one up was pretty impressive ..they tightened it up and whilst not pretty , was very effective. If we can learn to do that we would see out more wins and clean sheets than we currently do. It was the performance of an experienced top four side ...

This, they dropped off once they scored and contained us pretty much. We absolutely have to learn from this, change things quicker, Boyle to right for example, Logan had him in his back pocket for 70 minutes.

Pretty Boy
14-10-2017, 06:18 PM
It was right in front of me and it was a disgraceful tackle. Red card every day of the week.

McLean bottled it.

Said it earlier in the thread, as clear a red as you'll see.

It was high, there was intent, it was reckless and it was out of control. Every single one of those alone can merit a red, he ticked every box and got away with a yellow.

I usually like McLean but he was utterly awful today. I can accept poor decisions but the inconsistency was abysmal. He booked McGinn for a challenge that, because it was from the back, may well have been a worthy of a yellow. In the 2nd half Christie flew into a challenge shoulder and elbow 1st and got away with it then 3 minutes later went through the back of someone and wasn't booked. That's just incompetence from any ref.

Booked4Being-Ugly
14-10-2017, 06:19 PM

McLean bottled it.Definitely a red, shocking tackle from that wee ****!

Dr_Regal
14-10-2017, 06:19 PM
McGinns booking was the worst decision of the day. I don't recall us getting hacked as much by any team in the championship.

That was an away from home formation for me. At home we should be playing the diamond. Big Dave needs to get a go I think and have Stokes or Murray playing off him. Not sure why McGinn was the anchor man today, sometimes playing behind Bartley, bizarre. He needs to be the guy playing behind Stokes and supporting.

Some poor decision making from McGinn, McGeouch and Slivka in the final third.

Stevenson for me was poor, offers nothing in an attacking sense and GMS would have torched him all day if Aberdeen hadn't sat in. He wasn't good enough in our last premiership campaign and still isn't good enough imo.

Tough defeat today. Things just not clicking right now, NL needs to get it sorted.

ancient hibee
14-10-2017, 06:20 PM
If Boyle is to play it should always be wide right.It’s the only position that comes naturally to him.

Fuzzywuzzy
14-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Definitely a red, shocking tackle from that wee ****!

Had he not put in another poor challenge seconds before that?

Ref was extremely poor today. Aberdeen players went above and beyond to shut down sjm and mainly got away with it

matty_f
14-10-2017, 06:27 PM
We weren't poor by any stretch which is why most fans applauded the team off at the end. Poor decision making in final 3rd but can't believe u think we were poor

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Today agree. I actually thought we played very well today and deserved at least a point, if not all three.

matty_f
14-10-2017, 06:29 PM
This, they dropped off once they scored and contained us pretty much. We absolutely have to learn from this, change things quicker, Boyle to right for example, Logan had him in his back pocket for 70 minutes.

They didn't drop off, we pinned them back -McInnes admitted as much in his post match interview. He was full of praise for Hibs' play today, and rightly so.

Sir David Gray
14-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Said it earlier in the thread, as clear a red as you'll see.

It was high, there was intent, it was reckless and it was out of control. Every single one of those alone can merit a red, he ticked every box and got away with a yellow.

I usually like McLean but he was utterly awful today. I can accept poor decisions but the inconsistency was abysmal. He booked McGinn for a challenge that, because it was from the back, may well have been a worthy of a yellow. In the 2nd half Christie flew into a challenge shoulder and elbow 1st and got away with it then 3 minutes later went through the back of someone and wasn't booked. That's just incompetence from any ref.

Definitely a red, shocking tackle from that wee ****!

McInnes knew it was a red card as well as he subbed him almost straightaway.

14-10-2017, 06:32 PM
As far as I'm concerned they were a bunch of dirty cheating bassas. If the ref had done his job properly they'd have had to reign it in and we'd have had a completely different game.

Pretty Boy
14-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Today agree. I actually thought we played very well today and deserved at least a point, if not all three.

I think we battled well and can't fault either effort or how we played defensively for the most part.

We looked lost in the final 3rd though. Their keeper had a save from a free kick and a block from Swanson and that was about it of note, if he gets games like that between now and the end of the season he'll be delighted. Lennon said it himself; 3 shots on target all game isn't good enough. We looked more likely in the last few minutes but I think that was because we had resorted to sticking Hanlon up top and it all got a bit scrappy.

I was really disappointed by how disjointed we still look. There was quite often no one showing to shorten the game and take the ball so a 40 yard pass to Stokes was used far too often, our set pieces were generally poor and we looked like we were relying on a piece of individual brilliance to dig us out a hole rather than looking like we might create a real clear cut chance as a team.

It was an entertaining game to watch but I wasn't very impressed with Hibs at all and was somewhat concerned to hear Neil Lennon describe us as 'excellent'.

LaMotta
14-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Team still adapting to top league.

NL still learning about how good his players are at a higher level.

Martin Boyle is exciting at times but can't cut it in the big games, no disgrace in that but not where we want to be long term. Handy against the bottom half teams but a waste of space against better teams when starting.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Sorry but that is incredibly harsh. Boyle didnt hit the heights today but he has been very good in some of the big games partcularly the semi vs Aberdeen last year ( down the right) and in games vs Hearts. He was also vital last week at Celtic Park.

Logan was good today but there wont be many players like Logan who can match him for pace.

A waste of space? No chance.

Sir David Gray
14-10-2017, 06:50 PM
I think we battled well and can't fault either effort or how we played defensively for the most part.

We looked lost in the final 3rd though. Their keeper had a save from a free kick and a block from Swanson and that was about it of note, if he gets games like that between now and the end of the season he'll be delighted. Lennon said it himself; 3 shots on target all game isn't good enough. We looked more likely in the last few minutes but I think that was because we had resorted to sticking Hanlon up top and it all got a bit scrappy.

I was really disappointed by how disjointed we still look. There was quite often no one showing to shorten the game and take the ball so a 40 yard pass to Stokes was used far too often, our set pieces were generally poor and we looked like we were relying on a piece of individual brilliance to dig us out a hole rather than looking like we might create a real clear cut chance as a team.

It was an entertaining game to watch but I wasn't very impressed with Hibs at all and was somewhat concerned to hear Neil Lennon describe us as 'excellent'.

Totally agree with everything you've said here.

Excellent summary.

cabbageandribs1875
14-10-2017, 06:51 PM
i know paul hanlon got the motm but big marv ran him a damn good 2nd, give Marvin Bartley a 2 year extension now

Tyler Durden
14-10-2017, 06:53 PM
I think we were very unlucky to lose the game. Praising Aberdeen's tactics of sitting back is easy retrospectively but we dominated them for long spells.

They had one moment of quality when Stevenson unfortunately switched off. They didn't really make any mistake defensively - that was the main difference.

Having said that Lennon got plenty of things wrong. McGeouch is never going to be suited to playing so advanced. Keeping Boyle on the left for so long was madness. Not getting Murray on the park alongside Stokes for even 10 mins...

Still very confident we'll be top 4 but it was always going to be a tough adjustment. It's just frustrating we've not got the points our performances merited prior to today.

Stoney Hibee
14-10-2017, 06:57 PM
i know paul hanlon got the motm but big marv ran him a damn good 2nd, give Marvin Bartley a 2 year extension now

Was slightly taken aback when it was marv that went off, he had had been very effective.

Smartie
14-10-2017, 06:59 PM

Yep, spot on.

It feels a bit like this time last season. After a very positive first few games we dropped off as Lennon struggled to find the most effective formula. He could be excused last season as he'd just taken over, but it is a bit strange this season as he's working with his own players. Of course last season (like this) we had all the usual muppets getting full use of the waterproof bedsheets but whilst I don't think we're quite firing on all cylinders we're a long way of me digging out my special edition Colin Calderwood rubber sheets.

It's actually a bit like Stubbsy's first season as well. Around this time of year he stumbled across the "diamond", Scott Allan and Malonga got up to fitness and established in the team and we went on a bit of a run. I honestly feel that we're a tweak away from being a much better side, although our play in the final third has been a disappointment so far (and I don't think we have much depth to call upon to improve matters).

We've had a pretty mixed bag of results and performances so far. I didn't think we were excellent today, but happily clapped the team off the park as I didn't think they did much wrong.

One of those days.

Tyler Durden
14-10-2017, 07:02 PM

Re someone coming short, I think McGeouch's role today didn't help. Bartley isn't comfortable taking the ball and McGinn was always going to be closely marked. With McGeouch asked to play further forward he was lost.

Easy in hindsight but we might have been better with McGinn on the left as he would threaten Logan more and let Boyle play on the right.

Slivka is a difficult player to fit into the team at the moment, he would be the one I'd sacrifice to get a more natural attacking player in the mix.

scoopyboy
14-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Sorry but that is incredibly harsh. Boyle didnt hit the heights today but he has been very good in some of the big games partcularly the semi vs Aberdeen last year ( down the right) and in games vs Hearts. He was also vital last week at Celtic Park.

Logan was good today but there wont be many players like Logan who can match him for pace.

A waste of space? No chance.

On reflection maybe a bit harsh VP and I hope I'm wrong but I think he will be more effective against the poorer teams in the League.

Against the better teams he may be more effective as a sub.

Roxyhibee
14-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Some comments on here about the game today are quite bizarre, but that's just opinions I suppose especially hours following a hard-to-take defeat.

The standard of play from both teams for a lot of the game today was of a very high standard imo with hardly an inch of space - couldn't take my eyes off it. Everyone was doing their job really well and chances were limited really because of the standard of defences.

We had some real positives - Hanlon was the most outstanding and not many of our players put a foot wrong. Lewis for the goal...he has a consistent problem reading 1-2's and follows the ball failing to read a run in behind him. Although he played quite well today, I do think at this level he is frequently shown up.. gives the ball away and looks uncomfortable taking the ball on when it's super tight, like today - sorry Lewis fans..

I thought Stokes was excellent today but he fell foul to tactical problems - isolated for periods, but he really is a top player. Some of his play is a lot cleverer than people give him credit.

There's very very little between Hibs and Aberdeen in the last 2 games, apart from a couple of breaks of play and maybe a shade more SPL know how currently in their corner. And we need to add another quality striker asap.

I agree with Lennon - our best performance at home for a long time against a team who I'm sure would say they had to play really well for their result.

Lets hope they realise how well they played today and take a sense of injustice to Hampden and the derby.

matty_f
14-10-2017, 07:04 PM
I thought it was a rip roaring game that felt like a cup tie. We were unlucky to come of second best, but overall I really enjoyed the game. I wouldn’t be too critical of the team, or get too hung up on our league position. What the last 2 games have shown is that we’re right up there with the top 2 teams in this league. I find some of the negative comments quite surprising tbh.
Totally agree with this.

Pretty Boy
14-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Re someone coming short, I think McGeouch's role today didn't help. Bartley isn't comfortable taking the ball and McGinn was always going to be closely marked. With McGeouch asked to play further forward he was lost.

Easy in hindsight but we might have been better with McGinn on the left as he would threaten Logan more and let Boyle play on the right.

Slivka is a difficult player to fit into the team at the moment, he would be the one I'd sacrifice to get a more natural attacking player in the mix.Funny I said on this thread after about 5 minutes of the game I wasn't sure about McGeough playing the advanced role. It's not his game as he doesn't get the same time to pick his passes further up the park.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
14-10-2017, 07:20 PM
Unfortunately Aberdeen are better than us. I don't like it but they are. They've been second a few seasons running for a reason and are a streetwise and experienced side at this level. It'll take us a couple years to get to their level of consistency.

Borderhibbie76
14-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Some comments on here about the game today are quite bizarre, but that's just opinions I suppose especially hours following a hard-to-take defeat.

The standard of play from both teams for a lot of the game today was of a very high standard imo with hardly an inch of space - couldn't take my eyes off it. Everyone was doing their job really well and chances were limited really because of the standard of defences.

We had some real positives - Hanlon was the most outstanding and not many of our players put a foot wrong. Lewis for the goal...he has a consistent problem reading 1-2's and follows the ball failing to read a run in behind him. Although he played quite well today, I do think at this level he is frequently shown up.. gives the ball away and looks uncomfortable taking the ball on when it's super tight, like today - sorry Lewis fans..

I thought Stokes was excellent today but he fell foul to tactical problems - isolated for periods, but he really is a top player. Some of his play is a lot cleverer than people give him credit.

There's very very little between Hibs and Aberdeen in the last 2 games, apart from a couple of breaks of play and maybe a shade more SPL know how currently in their corner. And we need to add another quality striker asap.

I agree with Lennon - our best performance at home for a long time against a team who I'm sure would say they had to play really well for their result.

Lets hope they realise how well they played today and take a sense of injustice to Hampden and the derby.Great summary of where we are currently we r easily top 4 I think this season but we need another quality striker in Jan to complement Stokes

Borderhibbie76
14-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Unfortunately Aberdeen are better than us. I don't like it but they are. They've been second a few seasons running for a reason and are a streetwise and experienced side at this level. It'll take us a couple years to get to their level of consistency.Far too sensible and realistic a post for some on here mate ...but well said [emoji106]

Lago
14-10-2017, 07:46 PM
:top marks

Lets hope they realise how well they played today and take a sense of injustice to Hampden and the derby.

Tornadoes70
14-10-2017, 07:48 PM
I thought it was a rip roaring game that felt like a cup tie. We were unlucky to come of second best, but overall I really enjoyed the game. I wouldn’t be too critical of the team, or get too hung up on our league position. What the last 2 games have shown is that we’re right up there with the top 2 teams in this league. I find some of the negative comments quite surprising tbh.

Always gutted to lose but there's no doubt we're a good team and on another day could have beaten Aberdeen. They're a quality side too and we deserved at least a draw today.

GGTTH

where'stheslope
14-10-2017, 07:49 PM
McGinns booking was the worst decision of the day. I don't recall us getting hacked as much by any team in the championship.

That was an away from home formation for me. At home we should be playing the diamond. Big Dave needs to get a go I think and have Stokes or Murray playing off him. Not sure why McGinn was the anchor man today, sometimes playing behind Bartley, bizarre. He needs to be the guy playing behind Stokes and supporting.

Some poor decision making from McGinn, McGeouch and Slivka in the final third.

Stevenson for me was poor, offers nothing in an attacking sense and GMS would have torched him all day if Aberdeen hadn't sat in. He wasn't good enough in our last premiership campaign and still isn't good enough imo.

Tough defeat today. Things just not clicking right now, NL needs to get it sorted.

The reason they are doing it is simple, they see what referee will allow and take it to the limit!

Also remember, its a learning curve in this League, we learn about them, but they also showed up our Achilles heel and others will follow suit!

We need to start games getting right into them before they do it to us, if we give them the upper hand early they just keep going for us and as much as we battle well we need to battle from the first whistle not after we go a goal down!

Silky style football is great but it is not what is beating or drawing with us, its hard graft and still being sharp enough to take chances when they come!!!!

B.H.F.C
14-10-2017, 07:56 PM

I've been slightly critical on this thread, not overly I don't think, but can't agree with that.

I thought today was anything but rip roaring. And that goes for Aberdeen as well by the way. Neither keeper really had a serious save to make.

As for the games showing we are right up there with the top two teams, not for me. We have potential to do well but are still a fair bit short. Trailing the sheep by 10 points already shows that IMO.

Hibernia&Alba
14-10-2017, 08:34 PM
I said on another thread I expected a defeat today, and so it was, but there was no shame in it; the match could have gone either way. We're on a learning curve back in the SPL and Aberdeen are flying.

Pretty Boy
14-10-2017, 08:41 PM
Great summary of where we are currently we r easily top 4 I think this season but we need another quality striker in Jan to complement Stokes

Based on results and performances so far I'd say it's ahuge claim to say we are easily top 4. Dropping points in 3 of our 4 homes games so far is anything but top 4 form.

I'll say Aberdeen and Celtic will take the top 2 places, for all their faults Rangers will take another place in the top 4. That leaves a battle between us, Hearts, Mothererll and St Johnstone for the other place. We need to improve to take that spot imo.

matty_f
14-10-2017, 08:49 PM
I've been slightly critical on this thread, not overly I don't think, but can't agree with that.

I thought today was anything but rip roaring. And that goes for Aberdeen as well by the way. Neither keeper really had a serious save to make.

As for the games showing we are right up there with the top two teams, not for me. We have potential to do well but are still a fair bit short. Trailing the sheep by 10 points already shows that IMO.

I disagree. That 10 points could easily have been 4, there was nothing in that game today. Aberdeen had one real chance and scored, we got the post - it was very fine margins.

I saw nothing from Aberdeen today that made me think there was a big gap between the teams, at least not in their favour.

Borderhibbie76
14-10-2017, 08:52 PM
Based on results and performances so far I'd say it's ahuge claim to say we are easily top 4. Dropping points in 3 of our 4 homes games so far is anything but top 4 form.

I'll say Aberdeen and Celtic will take the top 2 places, for all their faults Rangers will take another place in the top 4. That leaves a battle between us, Hearts, Mothererll and St Johnstone for the other place. We need to improve to take that spot imo.I don't think it is....results could have been better so far but we are deffo on a par with the likes of rangers and st j so far. I am encouraged by what i have seen mostly this season and once we are better adjusted to this league I think results will improve over the next round of fixtures. Far too much negativity on here after a defeat...no shock really and certainly no shame in losing to the 2nd best team in country the last 3 or 4 seasons and they are up there again on merit

Pretty Boy
14-10-2017, 08:56 PM
I don't think it is....results could have been better so far but we are deffo on a par with the likes of rangers and st j so far. I am encouraged by what i have seen mostly this season and once we are better adjusted to this league I think results will improve over the next round of fixtures. Far too much negativity on here after a defeat...no shock really and certainly no shame in losing to the 2nd best team in country the last 3 or 4 seasons and they are up there again on merit

Sent from my SM-G950F using TapatalkWe may well improve but to finish in the top 4 will be a real battle. This time next week we could well be out the top 6 with a derby to follow. It will be anything but easy.

That's not being negative, just my assessment of where we are. I actually think a lot of negativity stems from unrealsitic expectation of where we should finish and a rose tinted assessment of where we are as a team. When we don't reach those heights people get irrationally upset.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Bobo
14-10-2017, 08:59 PM
I canot quite believe that what tou say is serious. You are clearly at it.

Or you dont have a clue about fitba.

I'm perfectly serious so please enlighten me with your clearly superior knowledge.

ekhibee
14-10-2017, 09:18 PM
I didn't enjoy the game as many others on here seemed to, and I find Lennon's post-match comments strange, because I don't think we were excellent at all. To be fair, some on here have quite rightly pointed out that we're still finding our way in this league, but I just didn't think we were particularly good today. McGeoch is a fine player but today he was doing a role which clearly didn't suit him, Stokes became isolated far too often because the support just simply wasn't there at times. Stevenson looked a wee bit out of his depth IMO, but he usually seems to bounce back so here's hoping. I still think there's a really good player in Barker, but he's either got to get more involved or change position, because it seemed to be ages before he even touched the ball. One nice mazy little run when we were putting them under pressure towards the end of the game. I totally agree that Aberdeen were too streetwise for us at this stage, and it was a good goal they scored too. McInnes was very complimentary about Hibs after the game and didn't churn out the usual 'we thoroughly deserved to win the game' stuff, so maybe I'm being too critical, I just think we're better than what we showed today. I totally respect anybody who has an opposite view though.

tamig
14-10-2017, 09:38 PM
I'd swap every player they have for ours, it's a team game and they win more than most as a team.

Every player? What pish.

J-C
14-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Straight back to work after the game and not long back in.

Disappointed rather than upset by today's game, after our performance at Parkhead I was looking forward to today. We huffed and puffed and never really looked like scoring, plus the ref made it all the harder with some bizarre decisions. I thought Whittaker looked particularly poor and seemed really slow and ponderous, starting to look and play like a 34 year old. Disappointed in Stokes also, never won a header but TBH he's never been an out and out striker and needs a focal point striker to play with. I thought Hanlon was immense and still baffled why he can't get a place in the Scotland squad. Subs were too late to do anything and wasn't sure about the shape of the team today, Dylan struggled but came into his own when Bartley went off and I thought Slivka worked hard but out of position on the right wing. I'd like to see him more in the middle beside McGinn.

LaMotta
14-10-2017, 09:57 PM
On reflection maybe a bit harsh VP and I hope I'm wrong but I think he will be more effective against the poorer teams in the League.

Against the better teams he may be more effective as a sub.

Fair dos mate...still think that his pace will be vital in the big games both for defensive and attacking reasons!

Diclonius
14-10-2017, 10:19 PM
I think we're going to regret settling for three first team strikers in the window, especially seeing as Lennon seems extremely reluctant to give Dave a game.

Thegreenside
14-10-2017, 10:24 PM
fair enough getting draws against the best two teams in the league, but only when you are picking up 3 against the rest which we aren't

tamig
14-10-2017, 10:37 PM
Aye their fans must be gutted the now
Agreed. They won ugly. But to even hint that we wouldn’t be happy with 3 points after any kind of performance like they put in is ludicrous.

houstonhibbee
14-10-2017, 10:52 PM
Agreed. They won ugly. But to even hint that we wouldn’t be happy with 3 points after any kind of performance like they put in is ludicrous.
coming to easter Rd was always going to be a tough place to keep their momentum going and would probably have taken a draw beforehand. To get 3 points and play robustly and not look in any danger of conceding - I'm sure they are delighted - as we would be given similar circumstances at Pittodrie.

seanshow
14-10-2017, 11:20 PM
I thought Swanson was going to be the player with a bit of craft, composure to create a wee chance and take it at the end but it wasnt to be, and he wasnt on long enough,

Imo the sheepies are better than they were last year, more of a threat on the break, solid backs to the wall defense...and if all else fails hack a Hibs player down and take a booking.

Overall praise for our effort but we lacked quality, top 6 is about where we are atm.

Sir David Gray
14-10-2017, 11:24 PM
I think we're going to regret settling for three first team strikers in the window, especially seeing as Lennon seems extremely reluctant to give Dave a game.

Correct.

ballengeich
14-10-2017, 11:25 PM
Overall praise for our effort but we lacked quality, top 6 is about where we are atm.

Target still has to be European qualification. After today I feel third is the most we can achieve.

DTS
14-10-2017, 11:33 PM
If we’re going to persist with one upfront then we need Boyle Swanson and barker playing in order to create chances, no use playing with slivka and mcgeouch our of position. Both play well enough but neither create any real chances. If it is to be stokes on his own it has to be a proper 4-2-3-1 which obviously means one of the 3 from mcgeouch McGinn and Bartley missing out. Even 4-3-3 without one of the 3 from Swanson/barker/Boyle but were playing effectively with 4 central midfield players none of which create enough, if it was to be a 3 in cm id drop Bartley. McGeouch is more than capable holding and starting moves with slivka and McGinn being able to go box-box.

houstonhibbee
14-10-2017, 11:52 PM
If we’re going to persist with one upfront then we need Boyle Swanson and barker playing in order to create chances, no use playing with slivka and mcgeouch our of position. Both play well enough but neither create any real chances. If it is to be stokes on his own it has to be a proper 4-2-3-1 which obviously means one of the 3 from mcgeouch McGinn and Bartley missing out. Even 4-3-3 without one of the 3 from Swanson/barker/Boyle but were playing effectively with 4 central midfield players none of which create enough, if it was to be a 3 in cm id drop Bartley. McGeouch is more than capable holding and starting moves with slivka and McGinn being able to go box-box.
3-5-2 may have been better today and for most home games

B.H.F.C
15-10-2017, 12:14 AM
I disagree. That 10 points could easily have been 4, there was nothing in that game today. Aberdeen had one real chance and scored, we got the post - it was very fine margins.

I saw nothing from Aberdeen today that made me think there was a big gap between the teams, at least not in their favour.

I don't think they look like they are a million miles in front of us. But the gap is there though. Doesn't really matter what could, should or might have happened.

We're in poor form and I just feel that is being overlooked a bit. One win in seven games isn't good at all. I think we are a better side than that suggests but we can only say that for so long.

Booked4Being-Ugly
15-10-2017, 12:17 AM
We may well improve but to finish in the top 4 will be a real battle. This time next week we could well be out the top 6 with a derby to follow. It will be anything but easy.

That's not being negative, just my assessment of where we are. I actually think a lot of negativity stems from unrealsitic expectation of where we should finish and a rose tinted assessment of where we are as a team. When we don't reach those heights people get irrationally upset.

Sent from my SM-G925F using TapatalkIt was Lennon that set the expectation by saying we were good enough to compete for 2nd. Then it was downplayed to a Euro spot, then it was top six! We were also told the squad we built showed 'intent' - not aimed directly at your quote but generally speaking intent for what exactly?

cabbageandribs1875
15-10-2017, 12:47 AM
very generous and gentlemanly of the announcer to thank the aberdeen fans yesterday, i mean it's not like they beat us and avoided hacking our players down at every opportunity, so kind, very sporting :agree: hopefully thank the old firm and hertz fans as well....just for consistency likes :cb

NAE NOOKIE
15-10-2017, 03:01 AM
Some strange comments on here from a few folk, like Aberdeen were no better than some of the championship teams who came to ER .... they might have had a similar game plan, but their quality was evident in their ability to stick to it and limit us to next to no chances. It did help that the ref allowed them to make a mug of him with their time wasting tactics and his failure to clamp down on their cynical fouling.

The boy Logan is a player I would love to see at Easter Road, quick, good in the tackle and uses the ball well, probably one of the most consistent defenders in Scotland for the last 3 seasons, no wonder the out of position Boyle found it tough against him, he should have been switched to the right far earlier. I don't understand why McGinn was played so deep either when McGeouch is very good in that position and McGinn is far more effective in a forward position.

It wasn't a bad performance from Hibs, but with every passing game the ratio of goals scored from open play by our strikers against games played is getting worse and worse. Lennon seems to have lost all confidence in Murray and to have no regard for Matulevicius whatsoever, two players I would add that he brought to the club, which leaves us with one striker who though undoubtedly talented isn't going to win many headers, win too many physical battles, or use the blistering pace he hasn't got to latch onto through balls ... which means he isn't exactly lone front man materiel IMO.

We have Hearts and Kilmarnock to play and that will be the first round of fixtures completed, win both and our start of won 5 drawn 4 lost 2 wont be too bad, even a draw and a win from both games wont be a disaster ... but lose both and we are looking at won 3 drawn 4 lost 4 which will be a long way from what we must have been hoping for and especially disappointing when you consider we got a win and a draw away to the ugly sisters.

Our defence apart from a shambles against Hamilton and a wobble against Motherwell hasn't been too bad when you consider the better quality they are up against this season. But we simply have to be better in the final third, even though our goals for column isn't too bad in comparison to most teams I'm willing to bet that if you compared it as the number of goals scored against the amount of possession we have we would fare pretty badly against most of the other teams in the league and that's why its so disappointing that we aren't scoring more.

Anyway ... its on to Hampden more in hope than expectation, we will need to put in a huge performance and carry a significant amount of luck to prevail in that game, but like any game you aren't expected to win its a free hit. If we do lose that will be two losses in two highly significant games ... lose to the Yams the following Tuesday and there's no denying we will be on a bit of a downer and for practically the first time since he arrived Neil Lennon will be under a bit of pressure. I don't mean sacking pressure, but he will be expected to show that he is the manager who can pinpoint what's going wrong and more importantly how to sort it .......... its the very reason he is the highest paid manager we have ever had and why he was given a three year contract .... it wont be a case of hoping he can step up, it will be expected of him.

itslegaltender
15-10-2017, 08:00 AM
Left back is still a problem position despite all the disciples of St Stevenson on here.

Pretty Boy
15-10-2017, 08:16 AM

The issue is we don't have the right player to play as wing backs in a 352. Gray and Lewis have proven that time and again and I'm not convinced Whittaker has the legs for it these days either.

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Every player? What pish.

Their TEAM are 10 points clear of us, that is why id swap them all.

Their TEAM have been at the top or near the top season after season, that is why i'd swap them all.

Their TEAM will finish above us again, that is why i'd swap them all.

15-10-2017, 09:04 AM
I think some of the reaction to yesterday's result is a tad OTT. Aberdeen to me looked like a seriously well organised side with no shortage of pace and skill going forward. That backed up by two lumps of CHs who can defend (and play a bit - thought Arnason looked very comfy on the ball), two good full backs and a very able keeper. We lacked cutting edge today yes and seemed reluctant to pull the trigger at times, but I don't think we played badly at all. In fact, we'll play much worse than we did today during the course of the season and win.

Pump the jumbos a week on Tuesday and we're back on track!

DTS
15-10-2017, 10:22 AM

I agree, we play our best with this formation. I think as soon as McGregor is fit we will go back to that formation or I hope so anyway.

Nakedmanoncrack
15-10-2017, 10:25 AM
very generous and gentlemanly of the announcer to thank the aberdeen fans yesterday, i mean it's not like they beat us and avoided hacking our players down at every opportunity, so kind, very sporting :agree: hopefully thank the old firm and hertz fans as well....just for consistency likes :cb

I wish he would pi55 off with that cringe worthy nonsense.

Sammy7nil
15-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Their TEAM are 10 points clear of us, that is why id swap them all.

Their TEAM have been at the top or near the top season after season, that is why i'd swap them all.

Their TEAM will finish above us again, that is why i'd swap them all.

Fair points but still a bit OTT they won because they are streetwise they know what is needed and are able to carryout a game plan. Hubs huffed and puffed did okay looked the better more positive team but never really looked scoring. Aberdeen did not have to do anything positive after they scored however I am sure they could up their game if needed.

Hibs just need to be a little sharper a little more streetwise and we will do just fine.

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Fair points but still a bit OTT they won because they are streetwise they know what is needed and are able to carryout a game plan. Hubs huffed and puffed did okay looked the better more positive team but never really looked scoring. Aberdeen did not have to do anything positive after they scored however I am sure they could up their game if needed.

Hibs just need to be a little sharper a little more streetwise and we will do just fine.

There is nothing OTT in what i said, i will say it again, i'd swap every player and management team too. They are where they are because they win more games than we do.

Hibs always need to up their game, or be a bit more streetwise, or have more luck or some other excuse.

Aberdeen are punching their weight or maybe even above it, when or if we do this, i will be more than happy Sammy.

Keith_M
15-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Unfortunately Aberdeen are better than us. I don't like it but they are. They've been second a few seasons running for a reason and are a streetwise and experienced side at this level. It'll take us a couple years to get to their level of consistency.

:agree:

While I was disappointed we lost yesterday, losing to Aberdeen is no disgrace.

Losing at home to Hamilton and drawing against Dundee when we should have won are the games I'm dissapointed about.

Captain Trips
15-10-2017, 10:43 AM
:agree:

While I was disappointed we lost yesterday, losing to Aberdeen is no disgrace.

Losing at home to Hamilton and drawing against Dundee when we should have won are the games I'm dissapointed about.

I see what you are saying but a ub selling 13k STs, a few current international players a manager with good CV and also a fair few handy players I am looking for 3pts at home every match.

J-C
15-10-2017, 11:06 AM
There is nothing OTT in what i said, i will say it again, i'd swap every player and management team too. They are where they are because they win more games than we do.

Hibs always need to up their game, or be a bit more streetwise, or have more luck or some other excuse.

Aberdeen are punching their weight or maybe even above it, when or if we do this, i will be more than happy Sammy.

I hate to say it G but I agree wholeheartedly, we always seem to either be unlucky or just one of those days, fed up hearing about being just one of those days. McInnes and Co. have had a strong squad for the past 2-3 seasons and have established themselves as deservedly the 2nd best team in Scotland and their all over game play showed us why. We may have as good a squad as them on paper but Lennon has to start gelling them into a team and not just a squad of good individual players.

Kavinho
15-10-2017, 11:07 AM
Believe they finished with 5 centre halves on the pitch

Betty Boop
15-10-2017, 11:13 AM

Dont want to mention the p word. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Dont want to mention the p word. :greengrin

:greengrin To be fair, i do believe we are getting better. I think we are going in the right direction, even though we are not picking up enough points.

Gary Barlow has a lot to answer for. :wink:

Roxyhibee
15-10-2017, 03:31 PM

Very OTT and bizarrely irrational statement to make about swapping every single one of our players and management team for theirs.

Aberdeen are currently above us because they've got a bit more SPL experience than us and a bit more up front.

They have only just squeezed out wins against us in the past 2 competitive games and they knew they were lucky to get that victory at Hampden just a few months ago. We were well on top before Hayes hit that tired deflection into the net. It was well documented at the time that McInnes had no idea how to change our dominance heading into extra time. Yesterday, we have just been beaten by a bit of tactical error which Lennon should have changed much earlier in the game and a referee who criminally allowed our main playmaker to get openly booted and tripped by their whole team at every occasion he went forward.

I agree they will likely finish above us and I also agree some of their play was excellent yesterday. They have some very good players. But equally, so was ours and so do we.

They weren't such a great team when the Yams were pummelling them at Murrayfield a few weeks ago and they were hanging on for a draw or when Motherwell ripped them a new one in the cup. Personally I'm looking forward to my Hampden trip on Saturday. TEAM Sheep won't be there.

A complete swap..? Behave yourself man.

ekhibee
15-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Very OTT and bizarrely irrational statement to make about swapping every single one of our players and management team for theirs.

Aberdeen are currently above us because they've got a bit more SPL experience than us and a bit more up front.

They have only just squeezed out wins against us in the past 2 competitive games and they knew they were lucky to get that victory at Hampden just a few months ago. We were well on top before Hayes hit that tired deflection into the net. It was well documented at the time that McInnes had no idea how to change our dominance heading into extra time. Yesterday, we have just been beaten by a bit of tactical error which Lennon should have changed much earlier in the game and a referee who criminally allowed our main playmaker to get openly booted and tripped by their whole team at every occasion he went forward.

I agree they will likely finish above us and I also agree some of their play was excellent yesterday. They have some very good players. But equally, so was ours and so do we.

They weren't such a great team when the Yams were pummelling them at Murrayfield a few weeks ago and they were hanging on for a draw or when Motherwell ripped them a new one in the cup. Personally I'm looking forward to my Hampden trip on Saturday. TEAM Sheep won't be there.

Thecat23
15-10-2017, 03:43 PM

Good post.

Dons are nothing special Hearts battered them and against us they used their knowledge to sit in knowing if they came at us we’d open them up. Not much between the sides on yesterday’s viewing.

Hibernia&Alba
15-10-2017, 06:01 PM
Aberdeen are a good side, as their performances from the past couple of years prove. They beat us narrowly in a tight, competitive match; they remain a bit ahead of us, but we've made huge strides in the past couple of years. Let's not forget the bigger picture.

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2017, 06:12 PM

There always seems to be one reason or another why we are behind one team or another. Again if given the choice i'd swap the lot.

Your post is full of just missed outs, just lost, just never did enough. I know we cant swap any of the players, and one or two of ours are better than their ones, but given the choice i'd swap the lot, because their lot are better than our lot.

wookie70
15-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Aberdeen are a good side, as their performances from the past couple of years prove. They beat us narrowly in a tight, competitive match; they remain a bit ahead of us, but we've made huge strides in the past couple of years. Let's not forget the bigger picture.

In terms of Aberdeen we have went from beating them without too much issue under Stubbs to losing narrowly under Lennon. Not sure there has been a great deal of progress. We got out the lower league by being pragmatic just as Aberdeen were.

Sammy7nil
15-10-2017, 11:57 PM

21 May 2016 :greengrin

Hi Heid Yin
16-10-2017, 12:19 AM

:agree::agree:

blackpoolhibs
16-10-2017, 05:58 AM
21 May 2016 :greengrin

:agree: As i have previously said, the best day of my life. What i get fed up of seeing though, is the continued use of we are only so many points away from where we want to be.

It reared its head again this season a couple of weeks ago when someone mentioned we were only a point off third.

We seem to always just be a couple of wins away, wouldn't it be nice to be the ones the others were chasing for a change?

flash
16-10-2017, 08:55 AM
In terms of Aberdeen we have went from beating them without too much issue under Stubbs to losing narrowly under Lennon. Not sure there has been a great deal of progress. We got out the lower league by being pragmatic just as Aberdeen were.

Yeah but thanks to Neil Lennon we get to play them four times a season now.

GreenOnions
16-10-2017, 09:17 AM
I thought the first half contained more quality (from both sides) than we often see at Easter Road over several games.

IMO Hibs played well and I agree with those who say there's not that much between the teams.

However, although we are not far behind them, we lack a couple of important things that they have. I thought Ryan Christie was a joy to watch in the first half playing in the hole behind the striker - movement, touch, a bit of pace, good energy and excellent passer. The best player on the pitch in the first half. Also - much as I like Martin Boyle - he's never going to be as good as MacKay-Steven who also played well.

That's the area of the pitch where Aberdeen are ahead of us at the moment and the reason why they won't need as many chances as us to score.

McInnes has also added a bit of steel to them. Some have complained about their physicality on Saturday but I think McInnes will be delighted that his team can change during a game from attractive attacking football to solid and physical defence protecting a lead away from home.

As has been suggested on this thread - we need to find a way of being more effective in the final third. FWIW I thought both Swanson and Barker made quite a difference when they came on. Maybe we need to find a way to fit these guys into the team?

wookie70
16-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Yeah but thanks to Neil Lennon we get to play them four times a season now.
Only if we finish in the top six as they certainly will.

Heisenberg
16-10-2017, 06:54 PM

They will indeed, mainly because they’ve spent the last few years building a very strong and consistent side to compete for second. We’ve been plodding around trying to escape the championship. Give the club some time to get us to their level.

jgl07
16-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Hibs haven't beaten Aberdeen for yonks in a League Match. Hibs did beat them once in the League Cup under Stubbs. You can hardly draw inferences from one win under Stubbs and two narrow (and rather unlucky) defeats under Lennon.

flash
17-10-2017, 06:12 AM

Still a vast improvement on the occasional cup tie.

superfurryhibby
17-10-2017, 11:27 AM
The last two games v Aberdeen have been very close and there's not been much in it.

It would help our cause if our manager got the tactics right when we play them.

The gap between the sides is evident in the League table. Can we also take into account that they have a considerably higher budget than ours or is that bye the bye to people berating Hibs on here?

NAE NOOKIE
17-10-2017, 11:39 AM
I thought the first half contained more quality (from both sides) than we often see at Easter Road over several games.

IMO Hibs played well and I agree with those who say there's not that much between the teams.

However, although we are not far behind them, we lack a couple of important things that they have. I thought Ryan Christie was a joy to watch in the first half playing in the hole behind the striker - movement, touch, a bit of pace, good energy and excellent passer. The best player on the pitch in the first half. Also - much as I like Martin Boyle - he's never going to be as good as MacKay-Steven who also played well.

That's the area of the pitch where Aberdeen are ahead of us at the moment and the reason why they won't need as many chances as us to score.

McInnes has also added a bit of steel to them. Some have complained about their physicality on Saturday but I think McInnes will be delighted that his team can change during a game from attractive attacking football to solid and physical defence protecting a lead away from home.

As has been suggested on this thread - we need to find a way of being more effective in the final third. FWIW I thought both Swanson and Barker made quite a difference when they came on. Maybe we need to find a way to fit these guys into the team?

I don't have a problem with physicality ...... Chopping down SJM twice as he started a run with the ball and a potential leg breaker on Martin Boyle goes beyond what I would consider physicality.

cabbageandribs1875
18-10-2017, 12:54 AM
I wish he would pi55 off with that cringe worthy nonsense.

AND belting out music right up to the first kick off the ball....they want atmosphere, kill the damn blaring music ffs

AND we don't need reminding every 5 mins which two teams are going to take part...it's hibernian fc v(insert opponents name), i guarantee 100% that everyone in the ground knows exactly which two teams are participating..including the away fans

jacomo
18-10-2017, 07:02 AM
:agree: As i have previously said, the best day of my life. What i get fed up of seeing though, is the continued use of we are only so many points away from where we want to be.

It reared its head again this season a couple of weeks ago when someone mentioned we were only a point off third.

We seem to always just be a couple of wins away, wouldn't it be nice to be the ones the others were chasing for a change?

Pretty much the situation we were in all last season and you were still wetting the bed regularly then.

:faf:

Neil Lennon has encouraged us to think we should be challenging for 2nd. Mostly good performances but too many points dropped over this first run of games. Aberdeen are very good.

Let's keep the faith eh?

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Pretty much the situation we were in all last season and you were still wetting the bed regularly then.

:faf:

Neil Lennon has encouraged us to think we should be challenging for 2nd. Mostly good performances but too many points dropped over this first run of games. Aberdeen are very good.

Let's keep the faith eh?

When was i regularly wetting the bed last season, if you are going to make things up, you need to do better than that? :rolleyes:

Phil MaGlass
18-10-2017, 02:09 PM
AND belting out music right up to the first kick off the ball....they want atmosphere, kill the damn blaring music ffs

AND we don't need reminding every 5 mins which two teams are going to take part...it's hibernian fc v(insert opponents name), i guarantee 100% that everyone in the ground knows exactly which two teams are participating..including the away fans

especially this

pacoluna
18-10-2017, 02:13 PM
[B]

especially this

He makes regular mistakes as well, the game against Hamilton was supposedly a championship figure and on sat supposedly our last game against Aberdeen was a 3-2 defeat in the final.