PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton Accies

BigKev
13-10-2017, 03:11 PM
http://www.hamiltonacciesfc.co.uk/club-statement-2/

Hamilton Academical FC have been the target of an elaborate fraud resulting in the loss of a substantial sum of monies.

The Police Service Scotland and our Bank are working closely with the club conducting a criminal investigation to pursue those individuals responsible.

At this point it is imperative that we remain calm and work together as we go through one of the most difficult situations we have faced as a club.

In the interim, the Directors intend to inject funds to meet the club’s ongoing obligations until the investigation is complete to ensure continuity.

It is our intention to host a media briefing to go into more detail when the initial legal and banking investigations reveal the facts. This will allow us to give full disclosure of the event.

No further comment will be made at this time as the Police investigation continues.

Les Gray

Chairman

Wonder what's happened here?

MWHIBBIES
13-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Similar thing happened to Rangers when they payed 1.75 million for Joe Garner

Future17
13-10-2017, 03:25 PM
http://www.hamiltonacciesfc.co.uk/club-statement-2/

Hamilton Academical FC have been the target of an elaborate fraud resulting in the loss of a substantial sum of monies.

The Police Service Scotland and our Bank are working closely with the club conducting a criminal investigation to pursue those individuals responsible.

At this point it is imperative that we remain calm and work together as we go through one of the most difficult situations we have faced as a club.

In the interim, the Directors intend to inject funds to meet the club’s ongoing obligations until the investigation is complete to ensure continuity.

It is our intention to host a media briefing to go into more detail when the initial legal and banking investigations reveal the facts. This will allow us to give full disclosure of the event.

No further comment will be made at this time as the Police investigation continues.

Les Gray

Chairman

Wonder what's happened here?

There was a warning issues about these scams being used against football clubs recently.

From memory, I think it related to incorrect bank details being provided for payment of legitimate costs.

It wouldn't need to be a spectacular sum to cause a club like Hamilton (or most Scottish clubs) some real difficulties.

Hope they get the cash back but they'll never catch the perpetrator.

Firestarter
13-10-2017, 04:26 PM
What's actually happened?

Golden Bear
13-10-2017, 04:31 PM
What's actually happened?

They've not actually said yet but it must be quite embarrassing for Les Gray as I think he was once one of Scotland's top cops.

Firestarter
13-10-2017, 04:35 PM
They've not actually said yet but it must be quite embarrassing for Les Gray as I think he was once one of Scotland's top cops.

Thanks. Wonder why they have felt the need to go public at this stage then and never knew that about Gray, very embarrassing.

Golden Bear
13-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Thanks. Wonder why they have felt the need to go public at this stage then and never knew that about Gray, very embarrassing.

I may have been slavering (again!). Looks like this one is a different Les Gray.

:doh:

Smartie
13-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Football clubs are pretty vulnerable to this kind of thing.

Lots of money flows through clubs, lots of cash taken on match days.

A few unscrupulous folk in certain positions and I'm sure fraud could quite easily happen (see the "Hearts Stand" thread for details about how easily a club can pocket £36k of charity money. I'm sure that this could quite easily happen the other way).

It will be very interesting to hear the detail of this one.

Billy Whizz
13-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Had a wee look on Hamilton fans forum to see if they had an idea’s about this. Only comment I can see is. The fans smelt a rat a while ago, club only took cash payments and no credit card payments.

Looks like actual cash could have gone walkies!

Carheenlea
13-10-2017, 04:59 PM
I may have been slavering (again!). Looks like this one is a different Les Gray.

:doh:

Was this one in Mud..?

HoboHarry
13-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Was this one in Mud..?
Naw ya daftie, he's deid......

Hibernia&Alba
13-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Whatever has happened, it's a huge blow to a small club like Hamilton. Hopefully it doesn't lead to long term difficulties for them.

greenginger
13-10-2017, 05:01 PM
I think the plod should start by interviewing all recent visitors to the the Club , especially those with known desperation for cash and previous misdemeaners .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41210013

Fife-Hibee
13-10-2017, 05:04 PM
Been scammed out of £750k seemingly 😮

Hibernia&Alba
13-10-2017, 05:06 PM

Wow. If true, they'll be in desperate trouble.

hibbydog
13-10-2017, 05:08 PM
Similar thing happened to Rangers when they payed 1.75 million for Joe Garner

😂

Keith_M
13-10-2017, 05:09 PM

I can't see Hamilton surviving that.

Time for a new club called The Hamilton?

grunt
13-10-2017, 05:15 PM
There was a warning issues about these scams being used against football clubs recently.
From memory, I think it related to incorrect bank details being provided for payment of legitimate costs.

Been scammed out of £750k seemingly 😮That would have to be some heavy legitimate costs.
I can't see what costs they could have to pay amounting to that, unless it's over a period of time.

Brunswickbill
13-10-2017, 05:27 PM

STV confirmed - thought to be over £700k.

The Spaceman
13-10-2017, 05:37 PM
As annoying a club they've been recently, that is awful :bitchy: hopefully all Scottish Clubs/SFA themselves could bail them out given the circumstances if required/no other choices?

Peevemor
13-10-2017, 05:41 PM
As annoying a club they've been recently, that is awful :bitchy: hopefully all Scottish Clubs/SFA themselves could bail them out given the circumstances if required/no other choices?
Annoying? I have a lot of respect for what they've done recently on what must be a very tight budget.

The Spaceman
13-10-2017, 05:45 PM
Annoying? I have a lot of respect for what they've done recently on what must be a very tight budget.

As in relegating us? Beating us this season? That annoying. Obviously have respect for what they've done in proximity to the Old Firm, hence I hope Scottish Football bands together to support them if required.

Peevemor
13-10-2017, 05:47 PM
As in relegating us? Beating us this season? That annoying. Obviously have respect for what they've done in proximity to the Old Firm, hence I hope Scottish Football bands together to support them if required.
Blaming Hamilton for our getting relegated is pushing it a bit IMO.

The Spaceman
13-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Blaming Hamilton for our getting relegated is pushing it a bit IMO.

Taking my comment far too literally.

Anyways, wish them all the very best.

Peevemor
13-10-2017, 05:50 PM
Taking my comment far too literally.

Anyways, wish them all the very best.
Fair dos. Me too.

Smartie
13-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Hard to see how they could be scammed out of £750k though.

If it was drip, drip over a number of years then maybe - that would be bad enough, but it shouldn't threaten their existence.

If it's all in one go, how on Earth did they have £750k kicking about for someone to get their hands on?

where'stheslope
13-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Same thing happened at my old work, about £80,000 was supposedly embezzled by our Accountant who completely disappeared and was never caught to my knowledge.

As a new business it nearly killed us off, but we did find our feet eventually.

New Banking makes it so easy for hardened criminals to fleece unsuspecting individuals, so I just hope they get their money back, and soon enough to stay afloat!!!

Skol
13-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Not that I want this to happen, but if the worst does happen then one of our defeats is scrubbed from the record books !

In fact I really hope that doesnt happen.

Bostonhibby
13-10-2017, 05:54 PM
In a league that often bends over to help those that abuse other people's money and trust I hope Hamilton who seem to do it the right way can find a way to survive this and get help if they need it.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
13-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Maybe it’s not payments.It could be season ticket sales money put on deposit which turns out to be a Nigerian Prince type bank.

CropleyWasGod
13-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Details of frauds are rarely made public, presumably to discourage copy-cats. Even when they go to court, reporting restrictions are often put in place.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
13-10-2017, 06:31 PM
STV confirmed - thought to be over £700k.

A huge amount for Hamilton but not massive in relation to some of the frauds commited against businesses.

SirDavidsNapper
13-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Things like that always seem to happen to the club's that struggle most. Hope they get it sorted. Decent well run club in a part of the world ruined by the ugly sisters bigotry who can ill afford lost revenue.

Ralphy C
13-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Was this one in Mud..?
What was their big hit called? was at No. 1 for ages.

HoboHarry
13-10-2017, 06:43 PM
What was their big hit called? was at No. 1 for ages.

Tiger feet? Lonely this Christmas?

Ralphy C
13-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Tiger feet? Lonely this Christmas?
thats right,thats right, thats right, thats right :agree:

HoboHarry
13-10-2017, 06:50 PM
thats right,thats right, thats right, thats right :agree:

Behave or there ain't no way I'm letting outta my sight.....

Tyler Durden
13-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Possibly an example of CEO fraud which is on the rise in the last year

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/action-fraud-warning-after-serious-rise-in-ceo-fraud-feb16

overdrive
13-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Possibly an example of CEO fraud which is on the rise in the last year

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/action-fraud-warning-after-serious-rise-in-ceo-fraud-feb16

We get these emails a lot. I queried a genuine email recently because it was worded exactly like one of these emails.

Purchase order fraud is also on the rise.

madhibee_again
13-10-2017, 08:26 PM
We get these emails a lot. I queried a genuine email recently because it was worded exactly like one of these emails.

Purchase order fraud is also on the rise.

PO fraud is definitely on the up. Work in procurement and there has been a lot of attempts to scam Public Bodies out of money after new contracts are awarded. The scammers send in fake invoices before the company has invoiced any work and may not be fully set up on systems. Fairly believable some of the emails, managed to stop a third sector stop getting scammed just this week. Had names of employees everything, just the actual email address which is different.

Swedish hibee
13-10-2017, 09:42 PM
This is shocking to hear.
A friends business got scammed and it took so long to sort out, but the business survived. I really hope they get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Peevemor
13-10-2017, 09:51 PM
The amount is staggering - probably knocking on 20% of their turnover. I can't see that it'll be a one-off duff payment. It must either be an ongoing scam or somebody in a position of confidence that's done a dirty.

Brightside
13-10-2017, 11:44 PM
Real shame for a club that have been great for bringing through young players in recent years. Real shame if Hearts get away with £100k

Hibernia&Alba
14-10-2017, 12:06 AM
Wonder whether or not it's an inside job? Hope not; that would be even worse.

CropleyWasGod
14-10-2017, 05:27 AM
**** them. You'd like to think them in charge of Hamilton would have more "savvy" than thatWould you say that about every victim of fraud?

Future17
14-10-2017, 05:52 AM
**** them. You'd like to think them in charge of Hamilton would have more "savvy" than that

Dad's home from the pub mum, put the rubber sheets on the bed.

Allant1981
14-10-2017, 06:00 AM
**** them. You'd like to think them in charge of Hamilton would have more "savvy" than that

how to make yourself sound like a twat in one easy go

Godsahibby
14-10-2017, 06:32 AM
Staggering that a business the size of Hamilton could lose that much via fraud. This had to have been across a number of transfers over a period of time.

danhibees1875
14-10-2017, 07:25 AM
Would you say that about every victim of fraud?

With that mentality, I wouldn't open the thread about Hearts being scammed. :wink: