PDA

View Full Version : Commons - Any News?

aberhibsfc
12-10-2017, 09:18 PM
Anyone heard any news on Kris Commons recovery, potential signing for Hibs?

IanM
12-10-2017, 09:58 PM
No

CMurdoch
13-10-2017, 12:37 AM
He is an old fragile man

Dashing Bob S
13-10-2017, 01:00 AM
I think the news is that nobody is giving much of an eff you see kay anymore, least not Commons and Lennon themselves.

Scouse Hibee
13-10-2017, 06:08 AM
Not required and as another month passes us by the thought of him signing is getting less and less welcome.

Andy74
13-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Not required and as another month passes us by the thought of him signing is getting less and less welcome.

Speak for yourself. If he gets fit enough to warrant a deal then he'd be an important addition to the squad.

I think his quality is being totally dismissed because of the time has been out - that's a fitness issue and if that can be overcome then brilliant - if not then we won't sign him.

GreenOnions
13-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Commons has quality - we saw that last year when that quality was able to make a significant impact for us in the short time he was here.

If he can get fit and NL thinks he is able to contribute I think it would be great to have someone who could give us just that extra bit in the final third - even if it's from the bench and for a short period.

SirDavidsNapper
13-10-2017, 10:54 AM
He'd be more of a hindrance than a help coming in half way through the season having not kicked a ball since he was with us. He got away with it in the Championship but won't in the Premiership.

scoopyboy
13-10-2017, 10:57 AM
No lose gamble for me.

Good player and different to what we already have.

If he recaptures his form brilliant, if not then it wont have cost a lot.

NAE NOOKIE
13-10-2017, 11:11 AM
He did ok in his wee cameo for us in the championship, scored a few important goals in fact which were very welcome, but it was pretty clear he wasn't fit. As the weeks go by I cant say the prospect of him signing fills me with excitement, at best for me he would be a back up and nothing more.

Vini1875
13-10-2017, 02:30 PM
As a player he might struggle a bit and I would not be concerned if he missed the boat with us, but he might be a very good addition to our coaching staff in terms of letting some of the younger guys know what it takes to have a good career in football. I thought he was a very good player, but it is anyone's guess what he has left in his legs.

Scouse Hibee
13-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Speak for yourself. If he gets fit enough to warrant a deal then he'd be an important addition to the squad.

I think his quality is being totally dismissed because of the time has been out - that's a fitness issue and if that can be overcome then brilliant - if not then we won't sign him.

Yes the longer he's out the further away we will be from signing him and rightly so. His quality really ain't that top notch. Decent player, no more than that. What he has to offer is diminishing every month.

Jim44
13-10-2017, 02:45 PM
I think the team as it stands will probably drift between fourth and seventh positions in the league. The addition of a touch of class might enhance our chances of better. Our present budget won’t stretch to bringing in the quality of player to do that but if the likes of a willing Commons is available, I reckon we have nothing to lose by giving him a chance. On the other hand, if it doesn’t happen, we won’t suffer.

Pretty Boy
13-10-2017, 02:49 PM
At his age I wonder how long it would take him to shift the weight he's carrying? Ok he's never looked a total athlete but he looked pretty hefty on TV lately.

No doubt he's a quality player but I wonder if he can get fit enough to cope with the pace of the game.

blackpoolhibs
13-10-2017, 03:42 PM
If he can get fit, he may well sign, if he can't then we wont.

Its no big deal.

IlDiavola
13-10-2017, 05:01 PM
No lose gamble for me.

Yep, totally agree with this post.

Ronniekirk
13-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Is he still using Celtics facilities to get fit if there was to be any chance of us signing him i would of thought Lennon would want him training with us December and January to see how fit he is
Lennon hasn't mentioned him for a while so assume he isn't yet ready to step up his Training with us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy74
13-10-2017, 09:28 PM
Yes the longer he's out the further away we will be from signing him and rightly so. His quality really ain't that top notch. Decent player, no more than that. What he has to offer is diminishing every month.

Just decent?

Over six years or so in this league he’s scored at a rate of better than 1 in 3. More than decent for a midfielder.

His goals for us came at a crucial time and pulled us away from Dundee Utd at a point it could have gone the wrong way.

Scouse Hibee
13-10-2017, 09:41 PM
Just decent?

Over six years or so in this league he’s scored at a rate of better than 1 in 3. More than decent for a midfielder.

His goals for us came at a crucial time and pulled us away from Dundee Utd at a point it could have gone the wrong way.

But now he's an ageing, unfit,injured player with his best years behind him and time against him. We had a glimpse and were fortunate he managed to contribute in a lower league. No real loss if he never plays for us again.

Firestarter
13-10-2017, 10:05 PM
Is he still using Celtics facilities to get fit if there was to be any chance of us signing him i would of thought Lennon would want him training with us December and January to see how fit he is
Lennon hasn't mentioned him for a while so assume he isn't yet ready to step up his Training with us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commons is done. His future is in the media. I don't even think he will announce retirement it will just be mentioned one time.

Andy74
13-10-2017, 11:35 PM
But now he's an ageing, unfit,injured player with his best years behind him and time against him. We had a glimpse and were fortunate he managed to contribute in a lower league. No real loss if he never plays for us again.

Like Ibrahimovic for example?

You’ve no idea how fit he might be in the coming weeks and months.

If he can prove he is then he’s obviously a quality player who is also fit enough to contribute. If he’s not then we won’t sign him.

I’m not sure why there’s a need to write the guy off. He done a very decent turn for us and some of the comments about him seem to be a bit spiteful. No idea why.

Tornadoes70
13-10-2017, 11:40 PM
Commons is done. His future is in the media. I don't even think he will announce retirement it will just be mentioned one time.

Totally agree.

I'd far rather see the likes of Ollie Shaw, Jamie Gullan, Fraser Murray, Porteous etc given a chance than sign a veteran. Commons is now being apprenticed into the arts of a pundit and good luck to him.

GGTTH

Firestarter
13-10-2017, 11:44 PM
Totally agree.

I'd far rather see the likes of Ollie Shaw, Jamie Gullan, Fraser Murray, Porteous etc given a chance than sign a veteran. Commons is now being apprenticed into the arts of a pundit and good luck to him.

GGTTH

Totally.

Brightside
13-10-2017, 11:50 PM
Some right **** on this thread. IF he comes he will train and wont get close to the first team until we think he is ready. People asking for players like Gullan to be put forward never watch a real game of football. The boy would struggle to get in the 1st division. Let the management team do their job and stop slavering pish.

Tornadoes70
13-10-2017, 11:55 PM
Some right **** on this thread. IF he comes he will train and wont get close to the first team until we think he is ready. People asking for players like Gullan to be put forward never watch a real game of football. The boy would struggle to get in the 1st division. Let the management team do their job and stop slavering pish.

I take it I'm one of these real **** on this thread. No offense taken.

I'd always rather give promising youngsters a chance to get close to the first team rather than sign players like Kris Commons who is on the road to being a pundit.

GGTTH

Brightside
13-10-2017, 11:59 PM
I take it I'm one of these real **** on this thread. No offense taken.

I'd always rather give promising youngsters a chance to get close to the first team rather than sign players like Kris Commons who is on the road to being a pundit.

GGTTH

You miss the point. Commons will only come will only train and will only play of Lennon things he is ready. I don't think it will happen based on chats with Kris. But if he was fit he is a bonus. The boy you mentioned is never close to being a first team player at Hibs.

Tornadoes70
14-10-2017, 12:06 AM
You miss the point. Commons will only come will only train and will only play of Lennon things he is ready. I don't think it will happen based on chats with Kris. But if he was fit he is a bonus. The boy you mentioned is never close to being a first team player at Hibs.

I've seen many promising young players never given a chance to prove they were worthy. What do these very promising young players have to do nowadays to prove they're worth a shot. I'm of the opinion, lets give them a chance when they're young. No offense to you bud, its just a difference of opinion. Lets get them in the team and see what they can do. I'm sticking with my opinion that I'd far rather see the young guns get a chance than sign Kris Commons who's now a paper and radio pundit.

GGTTH

Mibbes Aye
14-10-2017, 12:17 AM
I've seen many promising young players never given a chance to prove they were worthy. What do these very promising young players have to do nowadays to prove they're worth a shot. I'm of the opinion, lets give them a chance when they're young. No offense to you bud, its just a difference of opinion. Lets get them in the team and see what they can do. I'm sticking with my opinion that I'd far rather see the young guns get a chance than sign Kris Commons who's now a paper and radio pundit.

GGTTH

I’ve seen many a promising young player too. Been frequently and infrequently to watch our various dev teams over the years.

I’ve liked the look of many of those players but very few have made it with Hibs and very few, if any, have gone onto equal or better things.

The margins for young players are extremely tight, ruthless even, but they are fair. In football you get to the level you deserve unless you compromise your talent with your lifestyle choices.

Young players will get the chance if they’re good enough, but managers everywhere will be cautious. They will think about the percentages and that makes them more cautious. I genuinely believe that all of us on here, given the chance to manage, would automatically become more cautious and conservative in our tactics and team selection, and posters who want sweeping changes and lots of youth introduction would change their tune.

Scouse Hibee
14-10-2017, 06:02 AM

If he can prove he is then he’s obviously a quality player who is also fit enough to contribute. If he’s not then we won’t sign him.

I’m not sure why there’s a need to write the guy off. He done a very decent turn for us and some of the comments about him seem to be a bit spiteful. No idea why.

I see no spiteful comments just people describing an ageing, unfit, injured player and giving an honest opinion about his worth to Hibs. Comparing him to a player who was performing at the highest level in the EPL before his injury and has been an ultimate professional and supreme atblete as opposed to the guy who ended up in tbe Scottish championship isn't comparable at all.
Ibrahimovic and Commons have never been on the same spectrum as players.
As ever just an opinion and it's Lennon's that really counts not mine so we wait and see.

JimBHibees
14-10-2017, 07:22 AM

Agree he would only be considered if he can contribute so no real loss to see if an option. Last season showed the difference he can make.

Andy74
14-10-2017, 09:35 AM
I see no spiteful comments just people describing an ageing, unfit, injured player and giving an honest opinion about his worth to Hibs. Comparing him to a player who was performing at the highest level in the EPL before his injury and has been an ultimate professional and supreme atblete as opposed to the guy who ended up in tbe Scottish championship isn't comparable at all.
Ibrahimovic and Commons have never been on the same spectrum as players.
As ever just an opinion and it's Lennon's that really counts not mine so we wait and see.

You think I’m comparing them as players?

Your posts were based on age, fitness and injury. All those things are applicable to Ibrahimovic currently and most people can look beyond those as issues that won’t stop him being a quality player when he is fit.

To suggest Commons has never been quality at SPL level is pretty laughable.

Eyrie
14-10-2017, 10:01 AM

Your posts were based on age, fitness and injury. All those things are applicable to Ibrahimovic currently and most people can look beyond those as issues that won’t stop him being a quality player when he is fit.

No-one is disputing that Commons was a quality player at this level.

What is being highlighted is that it is very questionable whether Commons can still be a quality player at this level in 2018 given his recent injury problems and lack of game time for over a year.

jacomo
14-10-2017, 12:04 PM

What is being highlighted is that it is very questionable whether Commons can still be a quality player at this level in 2018 given his recent injury problems and lack of game time for over a year.

This is fair enough.

It's also reasonable to point out that we have a number of players in the squad now that can play the no.10 role. We need to keep them motivated with the prospect of game time.

Scouse Hibee
14-10-2017, 12:14 PM

Who suggested that? Commons has never played for us in the SPL.

You're comparing them as players whose overall fitness after injury could be recoverable. One a supreme top level athlete still in great condition, the other piling on the pounds as we speak.

Scouse Hibee
14-10-2017, 12:14 PM

Exactly.

silverhibee
14-10-2017, 12:31 PM

Is he still training at Celtc ?

Andy74
14-10-2017, 01:35 PM

If we sign him it will be because he is fit. And yes, there was some question as to his quality. He was being described as no more than decent.

I don’t see too much questioning of whether Ibrahimovic could still get back to fitness. Folk talk about people in their 30s as if getting fit is impossible. That’s not the case at all.

Eyrie
14-10-2017, 04:19 PM
If we sign him it will be because he is fit. And yes, there was some question as to his quality. He was being described as no more than decent.

I don’t see too much questioning of whether Ibrahimovic could still get back to fitness. Folk talk about people in their 30s as if getting fit is impossible. That’s not the case at all.
To me the "decent" remark refers to the potential of Commons in 2018, not to the Commons that you remember from a few years ago.

As silverhibbie has just asked, what is Commons doing at present to get himself fit?

SON OF PADDY
14-10-2017, 09:02 PM
No lose gamble for me.

Correct Answer 😁

Hi Heid Yin
14-10-2017, 11:15 PM
A quality player when fully fit, but his time out from the game, coupled with an injury ravaged, slower and weakened body, might be hurdles too far for Kris Commons.
I wish him well in his punditry career.

Swedish hibee
15-10-2017, 01:37 AM
Zlatan has played at the very top level for the past few years. The man is a machine. Kris Commons isn't.

Andy74
15-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Looked trim enough on the TV earlier.