PDA

View Full Version : Strachan away..

Pages : [1] 2

stoneyburn hibs
07-10-2017, 09:19 PM
If we fail tomorrow should he stay or go ?

There's no doubt that the Scotland job is a tough gig, as the years go by you could liken it to our previous Scottish cup hoodoo.
I've slated his management in the past, could we do any better under another manager?
Imo we're held back by the dinosaurs at the SFA , but that's another argument.

Sir David Gray
07-10-2017, 09:22 PM
He should go if we don't at least get a crack at the play offs from the position that we're in now.

I felt that he should have gone at the end of the last campaign and although he has salvaged his Scotland career somewhat during the latter part of this campaign, it has to be said that it will be a very disappointing end to this one if we can't manage to get the win that we need tomorrow and I feel that his time will be over.

bingo70
07-10-2017, 09:23 PM
If we fail tomorrow should he stay or go ?

There's no doubt that the Scotland job is a tough gig, as the years go by you could liken it to our previous Scottish cup hoodoo.
I've slated his management in the past, could we do any better under another manager?
Imo we're held back by the dinosaurs at the SFA , but that's another argument.

There's no question he's won me round.

I don't always agree with all of his selections but this has been a good campaign.

I think he'll leave though.

whiskyhibby
07-10-2017, 09:28 PM
He should leave as soon as Russia is either no longer possible, or if we get there then when that campaign is finished, he has not convinced at all, not what's needed to take Scotland forward

SideBurns
07-10-2017, 09:34 PM
I suppose he probably should, and possibly would, walk if we don't qualify as traditionally two unsuccessful campaigns are the limit. However, he has arguably done enough to justify another crack (assuming tomorrow night isn't a complete disaster), as the players are now performing under his leadership, there seems to be genuine camaraderie in the squad, and there are some good youngsters coming through. I do love the wee man's passion.

LaMotta
07-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Some people are desperate to see him fail. i think he should stay whatever happens, but if we dont win tomorrow the knives will be out.

He gets major critiscism for euro 2016 campaign however he was snookered by the Germans gifting four points to the oirish. If Germany hadnt been so uncharaterstically useless twice, we would have had a playoff.

lord bunberry
07-10-2017, 09:57 PM
He should stay. Continuity is a big thing in football. Can anyone really say that we could do any better under another manager.

Thecat23
07-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Some people are desperate to see him fail. i think he should stay whatever happens, but if we dont win tomorrow the knives will be out.

He gets major critiscism for euro 2016 campaign however he was snookered by the Germans gifting four points to the oirish. If Germany hadnt been so uncharaterstically useless twice, we would have had a playoff.

Can’t blame the Germans for our own failings though. I think we will win tomorrow and he’ll stay on. Lose he must go simple as that. To many baffling team selections for me but I’ll be 100% behind him and Scotland tomorrow.

IWasThere2016
07-10-2017, 10:00 PM
He should stay. Continuity is a big thing in football. Can anyone really say that we could do any better under another manager.

I agree. We were desperately unlucky not to make the Euros - three of the last 8 were in our group ffs.

If he gets a playoff place for Russia that would be all I'd have expected he could have achieved.

If we get there he should definitely stay IMHO.

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-10-2017, 10:05 PM
I'm always torn on this subject. Results when he first came in were great. We played some excellent football in that first campaign and went out to a combination of things. Germany gifting Ireland points as posted above. Us dropping 4 points late on against Poland and that match in Georgia.

This campaign started shockingly but he has turned it round. People want Strachan to fail it's clear to see.

But on the other hand, he's stubborn, too loyal at times and can be a right condescending prick in interviews.

If we take a hiding tomorrow, we'll finish 4th for the 2nd straight campaign he's led. Ultimately, that's under achieving and failure so he would have to go imo.

I must say though, I've enjoyed his time in charge more than most over the last 10 years

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Stay, win or lose. We are getting better considering the lack of real talent we have. If he goes, who'd get it that was better?

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Stay, win or lose. We are getting better considering the lack of real talent we have. If he goes, who'd get it that was better?

IF he goes I'd go for someone like Jürgen Klinsmann

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2017, 10:11 PM

Why not, although i have my doubts he'd want us or what we pay?

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-10-2017, 10:14 PM
Why not, although i have my doubts he'd want us or what we pay?

Very true. Mark McGhee it is then

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2017, 10:21 PM
Very true. Mark McGhee it is then

:greengrin

Michael
07-10-2017, 10:29 PM
Happy for him to stay. I can't think of anyone else that I'd rather have at the moment. At least he tries to get us playing football.

Albanian Hibs
07-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Go.

Brightside
07-10-2017, 10:34 PM
He's murder.

SouthMoroccoStu
07-10-2017, 11:56 PM
Future hibs boss if Lennon goes to pastures new

Thecat23
08-10-2017, 12:01 AM
Future hibs boss if Lennon goes to pastures new

Think he’ll retire to be honest. Don’t think he’d be the man anyway LD would go for. But could be wrong, just feel he’d be happy with what he’s done at Celtic and now Scotland if he did go.

Haymaker
08-10-2017, 12:30 AM

Why?

HoboHarry
08-10-2017, 03:36 AM
Why?

Why not? He is a big name and has managed better teams than us. He also has a big of charisma which would help to raise some excitement - let's face it, we aren't very good on the public relations front are we?

Onion
08-10-2017, 06:19 AM
He's Hibs manager-in-waiting. Take Scotland to Russia, then over to ER after Lennon goes back to Celtic.

G B Young
08-10-2017, 07:18 AM
It would surely be unthinkable that he'd stay on. Two failed campaigns (as well as a part of Levein's shambolic World Cup 2014 campaign) is as much as any boss should be permitted. A good Hibs fan he may be, but Strachan is hugely overrated as a manager (and an extremely irritating, unfunny interviewee to boot) and his perceived 'success' as Scotland boss is shaped only by our dismal failure to qualify for any tournament for 20 years. The fact we're not even certain to finish second in a truly woeful group topped by a dire England side is hardly something to be heap praise on him for.

IGRIGI
08-10-2017, 07:26 AM
He seems to have learned or learning from mistakes he was making early in the campaign, however if we fail to make the play offs he has to go.

My only fear is the calibre of replacements we could attract given the SFA and their budget.

LaMotta
08-10-2017, 07:26 AM
Can’t blame the Germans for our own failings though. I think we will win tomorrow and he’ll stay on. Lose he must go simple as that. To many baffling team selections for me but I’ll be 100% behind him and Scotland tomorrow.

There was one game where we failed in that campaign - Georgia away. We ran the world champs close twice, 2 draws against a good Poland side that we were unlucky not to win and took 4 points off Ireland.

Georgia away was awful , just feel we were so close and in normal circumstances (ie germany beating everyone) we could have got away with that slip up.

Hes def made mistakes, mainly not playing Griffiths soon enough but i cant think of too many baffling team selections other than that tbh.

hibbydog
08-10-2017, 07:28 AM

Agreed.

Don’t get me wrong, we’re no world beaters and failure to qualify is completely unacceptable. But Scotland has had 6 (six!!!) new managers since France 1998 and none of them have achieved qualification, which should be the minimum target.

So there’s overwhelming evidence to prove that changing manager doesn’t improve anything.

Perhaps a little more continuity might be something to go with.

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 07:28 AM
Go if fail. His attitude at the start of the campaign with the games not being must wins ****ed it up for us as a whole. We are a country that to qualify every match must be considered a must win knock out match, that way we don't arse about against Lithuania. Brendan Rodgers has also effectively saved his career this far. We win tonight I think he will quit on a high regardless of the playoff.

LaMotta
08-10-2017, 07:37 AM
It would surely be unthinkable that he'd stay on. Two failed campaigns (as well as a part of Levein's shambolic World Cup 2014 campaign) is as much as any boss should be permitted. A good Hibs fan he may be, but Strachan is hugely overrated as a manager (and an extremely irritating, unfunny interviewee to boot) and his perceived 'success' as Scotland boss is shaped only by our dismal failure to qualify for any tournament for 20 years. The fact we're not even certain to finish second in a truly woeful group topped by a dire England side is hardly something to be heap praise on him for.

Cmon shouldnt be beating him with a stick over Levein's 2014 disaster. Strachan came in and we beat Croatia home and away!

LaMotta
08-10-2017, 07:47 AM
Go if fail. His attitude at the start of the campaign with the games not being must wins ****ed it up for us as a whole. We are a country that to qualify every match must be considered a must win knock out match, that way we don't arse about against Lithuania. Brendan Rodgers has also effectively saved his career this far. We win tonight I think he will quit on a high regardless of the playoff.

His attitude? You think he wasnt bothered about winning? I think he just picked the wrong team against Lithuania and then Slovakia, something he has since publicly admitted.

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 07:51 AM
His attitude? You think he wasnt bothered about winning? I think he just picked the wrong team against Lithuania and then Slovakia, something he has since publicly admitted.

He refused to change the players against they team, he constantly said the matches weren't must wins and it shown on the pitch with the lethargic attitude on they evenings. It's only since every match has become a "must win" and he changed his side to the correct one we have improved brilliantly, mainly down to the form of the Celtic players and getting rid of the old guard. Players in form has never happened with him it's always been the tried and tested and he refused to play Griffiths until no choice against England. That attitude has cost us dear.

His Scotland career kind of replicates his Middlesbrough one where he took all they tried and tested players with him and got sacked within a year or so.

Thecat23
08-10-2017, 08:01 AM

Hense my baffling team selection comment! He’s done it more than once. Not playing Leigh was madness it really was. I’m just delighted he plays him now and hope to god it’s not to late.

LaMotta
08-10-2017, 08:01 AM
He refused to change the players against they team, he constantly said the matches weren't must wins and it shown on the pitch with the lethargic attitude on they evenings. It's only since every match has become a "must win" and he changed his side to the correct one we have improved brilliantly, mainly down to the form of the Celtic players and getting rid of the old guard.

He didnt constantly say that. He was asked before the Lithuania game and he said no. And he was right it wasnt a must win as the way group has panned out proves that. Its such a stupid question.

If he said yes to the question then we still drew against Lithuania he would be basically saying that our qualification hopes were over after 2 games.

Brendan Rogers not playing Leigh Griffiths at the start of last season is part of the reason that LG wasnt starting for Scotland. Maybe its his fault also for the poor start to the group? :wink:

LaMotta
08-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Hense my baffling team selection comment! He’s done it more than once. Not playing Leigh was madness it really was. I’m just delighted he plays him now and hope to god it’s not to late.

Yeh fair enough and ive always thought LG should play every game. He wasnt playing for Celtic at that time which was unfortunate.

Other than LG omission though dont think there is much to argue with.

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 08:09 AM
He didnt constantly say that. He was asked before the Lithuania game and he said no. And he was right it wasnt a must win as the way group gas panned out proves that. Its such a stupid question.

If he said yes to the question then we still drew against Lithuania he would be basically saying that our qualification hopes were over after 2 games.

Brendan Rogers not playing Leigh Griffiths at the start of last season is part of the reason that LG wasnt starting for Scotland. Maybe its his fault also for the poor start to the group? :wink:

Lithuania at home IS a must win for a country like ours because overall it comes back to bite us on the arse. Hey mentality should be installed in the players and management in terms of team selection right away. Had we had won that must win game we would be in the playoffs already.

GS didn't pick Leigh when he was playing every week prior to that either. It was lump up Park to Fletcher, remember Georgia? Strachan only picked Leigh after his job was on the line. And that's not even starting on the pish in defence he constantly selected even if they hadn't played for months.

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Yeh fair enough and ive always thought LG should play every game. He wasnt playing for Celtic at that time which was unfortunate.

Look at the defence for the matches at the start of the campaign, even midfield, players sitting on the bench or worse at club level until
He started picking in form Celtic players and built the side round them.

LaMotta
08-10-2017, 08:16 AM
Lithuania at home IS a must win for a country like ours because overall it comes back to bite us on the arse. Hey mentality should be installed in the players and management in terms of team selection right away. Had we had won that must win game we would be in the playoffs already.

Well its not, because we didnt win and we can still qualify!

Of course we should win, and it was a terrible result. Do you really think behind closed doors he wasnt treating it as a game to win though?

But you cant possibly know that if we won we would be in the playoffs....if we won that game the rest of our results could have panned out very differently. Scott Brown might not have been tempted back for example.

LaMotta
08-10-2017, 08:18 AM
Look at the defence for the matches at the start of the campaign, even midfield, players sitting on the bench or worse at club level until
He started picking in form Celtic players and built the side round them.

So hes got it right now? Why is that bad?

Who should he have played back then that he didnt?

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Well its not, because we didnt win and we can still qualify!

Of course we should win, and it was a terrible result. Do you really think behind closed doors he wasnt treating it as a game to win though?

But you cant possibly know that if we won we would be in the playoffs....if we won that game the rest of our results could have panned out very differently. Scott Brown might not have been tempted back for example.

Brown didn't come back because we couldn't beat Lithuania.
I'm out, not worth the arguing just now mate on which should be a positive day, see you tomorrow :greengrin.

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 08:22 AM
So hes got it right now? Why is that bad?

Who should he have played back then that he didnt?

I'll tell you tomorrow! 'N 'mon Scotland!!!

bingo70
08-10-2017, 08:26 AM

The thing with LG is that I think whenever he's taken a step up it takes him a while to adjust. His first spell with us wasn't that amazing (although he showed lots of promise), took time to settle at wolves and the same at Celtic.

He deserves huge credit for the standard he's now reached and he's rightly scotlands star man but I sort of get why Strachan eased him in slowly.

Walter
08-10-2017, 08:41 AM
I think we should keep him. We are starting to see a club side spirit appear, keep the continuity. I don't think there's anyone who would take the job who would be an improvement. I can no doubt easily be proved wrong

LaMotta
08-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Brown didn't come back because we couldn't beat Lithuania.
I'm out, not worth the arguing just now mate on which should be a positive day, see you tomorrow :greengrin.

I'll tell you tomorrow! 'N 'mon Scotland!!!

:thumbsup:

J-C
08-10-2017, 08:52 AM
I think he should step down if we fail to qualify, he's taken them as far as he can, my biggest problem with Strachan is his blind loyalty to certain players when they're clearly not good enough for the team and not playing players who are on form, still don't understand how McGinn and McGregor didn't start on thursday considering they were the standout players in last weeks Hibs/Celtic game.

Pretty Boy
08-10-2017, 09:04 AM
If we fail in this campaign it stems from his decsions not to pick the best players available to him early in the campaign.

In saying that he has rectified that and probably deserves another go. I think he'll go though.

G B Young
09-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Cmon shouldnt be beating him with a stick over Levein's 2014 disaster. Strachan came in and we beat Croatia home and away!

I agree, we can't blame him for that campaign, but IIRC his first game was a home defeat by Wales which all but confirmed we had no chance of qualifying after the calamitous start to the campaign made by Levein. The wins against Croatia came when we had nothing to play for.

Compared to Levein he's a genius of international management, but I just think Strachan is over-rated by some. I didn't watch the game yesterday but I saw his post-match interview on the news this morning and that stuff he's coming out with about the players not being tall enough?! Apparently only Spain are smaller...which doesn't seem to stop them doing well. A load of bewildering nonsense, especially the bit about getting 'big Scottish men and women together.'

They guy should be a goner in my view, though personally I'm more relieved we can get back to focusing on the football that matters (ie the Hibs) for another couple of years.

Iain G
09-10-2017, 08:49 AM
I agree, we can't blame him for that campaign, but IIRC his first game was a home defeat by Wales which all but confirmed we had no chance of qualifying after the calamitous start to the campaign made by Levein. The wins against Croatia came when we had nothing to play for.

Compared to Levein he's a genius of international management, but I just think Strachan is over-rated by some. I didn't watch the game yesterday but I saw his post-match interview on the news this morning and that stuff he's coming out with about the players not being tall enough?! Apparently only Spain are smaller...which doesn't seem to stop them doing well. A load of bewildering nonsense, especially the bit about getting 'big Scottish men and women together.'

They guy should be a goner in my view, though personally I'm more relieved we can get back to focusing on the football that matters (ie the Hibs) for another couple of years.

The genetics thing is probably the most pathetic and clutching at straws reason ever tabled for failing as a football team.

However this bit did annoy me; "No-one is hurting like the players, it's impossible," he said. "The fans can't hurt like that, I can't hurt"

Stokesy's on fire
09-10-2017, 09:00 AM
No way should Strachan be sacked if he goes we will find ourselves worse off. He's done a hell of a lot better than others have in the past and i think he can build on that.

Brightside
09-10-2017, 09:09 AM
He is a complete and utter fanny. Yet again blaming genetics. Its a lack of skill, fitness and desire that holds scotland back.

green day
09-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Strachan didnt select the best striker we have for the first few games. He only selected LG when it was apparent his other options were not working.

Strachan didnt bring on McGregor or McGinn when the likes of Bannan and others were goosed last night. We were crying out for something else in midfield.

And - I feel a bit bad saying this - when Strachan selected Whittaker for the squad during what we all agree was a "difficult period" for him, that cemented the thought that he Strachan and his crew would rather rely on his band of older players than think a wee bit different.

When the man in the street / pub can see these things but our international coach cant (or wont due to bloody mindedness) see it - its time to go.

Iain G
09-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Strachan didnt select the best striker we have for the first few games. He only selected LG when it was apparent his other options were not working.

Strachan didnt bring on McGregor or McGinn when the likes of Bannan and others were goosed last night. We were crying out for something else in midfield.

And - I feel a bit bad saying this - when Strachan selected Whittaker for the squad during what we all agree was a "difficult period" for him, that cemented the thought that he Strachan and his crew would rather rely on his band of older players than think a wee bit different.

When the man in the street / pub can see these things but our international coach cant (or wont due to bloody mindedness) see it - its time to go.

He need to go, has made too many mistakes and off decision and sticks to rigidly to his favourites who never set the heather alight when playing for Scotland. Need to blood some of the good younger players coming through now and need new ideas to take the team forward and lose the baggage and play to the strengths we have.

With the likes of Tierney, Robertson, McGinn, McGregor now coming through we are starting to assemble the bones of a very good and exciting team. We need to be positive and push it forward and not let the past and these lame excuses hold us back. :agree:

Sylar
09-10-2017, 09:58 AM
I'm quite irritated he's not already been emptied, but I'm still angry after our pitiful capitulation last night.

Fair play to him, he admitted his early mistakes, made changes and since then, we've gone on a great run and gave ourselves a chance to reach the playoffs.

But it wasn't just the ineptitude of the players choking last night - it was his bamboozling decisions throughout the game and his bizarre press conference afterwards.

He picks what I see as decent squads, but that's it - none of the promising players are utilised in any way, shape or form - he sticks with the usual suspects, and it results in any pace, gumption or threat being sorely lacking.

He's moved Scotland on, but I think he's proven now he's taken us as far as he can. Time to bring in some fresh blood, and a manager who's willing to think outside the box and utilise some of the young talent we have.

Firestarter
09-10-2017, 10:04 AM
No way should Strachan be sacked if he goes we will find ourselves worse off. He's done a hell of a lot better than others have in the past and i think he can build on that.

Do you have belief he will give new players a chance or stick to players who done him amazing in his words this term? To be a good International you need to change, he can't seem to do that. Not picking Griffiths was criminal as was his selections yesterday.

Firestarter
09-10-2017, 10:05 AM
He won't get sacked. He will need to quit. It's his choice apparently and he's wanted to lead us to euro 2020 and play in Glasgow.

G B Young
09-10-2017, 11:55 AM

Has he really done any better than other managers? Levein, granted, was the worst Scotland boss of all time, but even Berti Vogts got us to a play-off (where admittedly we got humiliated by the Dutch) and Burley, dire as his tenure was, wasn't too far away from a play-off place. McLeish and Smith did solid enough jobs but the bottom line is that every single Scotland boss for the last 20 years, Strachan included, has failed. You can't blame two decades of bad luck for that failure. It's failure, pure and simple.

Last night Strachan's side scraped what sounds like an undeserved draw against a side with nothing to play for when a win was essential. Simply not good enough. For me, he should have gone after the previous campaign when he described a meaningless win against Gibraltar in front of a bunch of holidaying Scottish fans as the highlight of his career. His latest guff about the players being genetically inadequate is desperate stuff.

heretoday
09-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Classic Strachan interview re genetics. it would be offensive coming from anyone else really. He's close to throwing something when he starts talking like that!

I don't see any point in his staying as coach and I doubt he'd want to embark on another long campaign either.

I think we should try and concentrate on the young players that we have playing in the Scottish leagues rather than B-list Anglos. For that we need a coach who is au fait with the game here at all levels and can see the best guys coming through.

LaMotta
09-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Has he really done any better than other managers? Levein, granted, was the worst Scotland boss of all time, but even Berti Vogts got us to a play-off (where admittedly we got humiliated by the Dutch) and Burley, dire as his tenure was, wasn't too far away from a play-off place. McLeish and Smith did solid enough jobs but the bottom line is that every single Scotland boss for the last 20 years, Strachan included, has failed. You can't blame two decades of bad luck for that failure. It's failure, pure and simple.

Last night Strachan's side scraped what sounds like an undeserved draw against a side with nothing to play for when a win was essential. Simply not good enough. For me, he should have gone after the previous campaign when he described a meaningless win against Gibraltar in front of a bunch of holidaying Scottish fans as the highlight of his career. His latest guff about the players being genetically inadequate is desperate stuff.

Well ultimately he has failed however he has the best win rate of any manager (other than McLeish's 10 games in charge) since Tommy Docherty in the early 70s:

http://scotlandfootballstats.co.uk/managers

I think you are forgetting how bad Burley and Levein actually were.

Iain G
09-10-2017, 12:19 PM

A big problem we have is that the Berti experiment has tainted any option of a non-Scottish coach. I'd be all for bringing in a coach who can motivate and introduce the good younger players who are on positive form for their clubs, regardless of the nationality. Is Stubbs still looking for a job? :greengrin

stantonhibby
09-10-2017, 12:24 PM
A big problem we have is that the Berti experiment has tainted any option of a non-Scottish coach. I'd be all for bringing in a coach who can motivate and introduce the good younger players who are on positive form for their clubs, regardless of the nationality. Is Stubbs still looking for a job? :greengrin

Well he has already shown he can achieve the seemingly impossible!

ancient hibee
09-10-2017, 12:27 PM
McGregor could have scored a goal like the Slovenian second,Fletcher proved he couldn’t.

G B Young
09-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Well ultimately he has failed however he has the best win rate of any manager (other than McLeish's 10 games in charge) since Tommy Docherty in the early 70s:

http://scotlandfootballstats.co.uk/managers

I think you are forgetting how bad Burley and Levein actually were.

I drifted away from watching Scotland at that time so I was probably spared the worst of it to some extent, but I think you have to equate success as Scotland boss with qualifying for major tournaments. Their win rate isn't really relevant if they still fail to qualify. By that token there's no way you could argue Strachan has done better than, say, Brown or Roxburgh.

When I was a lot younger, the frustration was that Scotland never managed to get beyond the group stage at major tournaments. Perhaps we've now come to such a sorry pass that we're starting to equate success with which manager achieved the 'least poor' qualifying campaign!

SeanWilson
09-10-2017, 12:33 PM
I've said it before and I'll continue to say it - not picking LG is a sackable offence. Had he started the campaign I'm certain we'd have picked up more points.

madhatter
09-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Really doesn't seem to matter who the boss is. I'd have liked to see Berti get a bit more time as he at least introduced new players.

Seems we have a desperation to qualify for these things which in our current state seems pointless. Berra, Mulgrew, Fletcher(s) etc sum it up for me. Desperate to qualify so call up has-beens.

Found it hilarious Strachan talked of trying to compete physically with them while playing Bannan in midfield 3 with Fletcher (good servant but done) and McArthur. 2 fairly short players with not a great deal of strength and an OAP in terms of a footballer.

He should go and as a nation we need to take a look at ourselves if we are blaming genetics. Introduce players at a younger age and write off 5-6 years.

SirDavidsNapper
09-10-2017, 12:39 PM
The genetics statement from Strachan was embarrassing. I've been fairly supportive of him but that sounded like someone who's lost the plot.

ancient hibee
09-10-2017, 12:40 PM
I drifted away from watching Scotland at that time so I was probably spared the worst of it to some extent, but I think you have to equate success as Scotland boss with qualifying for major tournaments. Their win rate isn't really relevant if they still fail to qualify. By that token there's no way you could argue Strachan has done better than, say, Brown or Roxburgh.

When I was a lot younger, the frustration was that Scotland never managed to get beyond the group stage at major tournaments. Perhaps we've now come to such a sorry pass that we're starting to equate success with which manager achieved the 'least poor' qualifying campaign!
Yes.Actually getting to finals is unlikely to improve your win ratio.

Thecat23
09-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Imagine blaming genetics 😂

That’s a shocker of a statement!

LaMotta
09-10-2017, 12:44 PM

Agreed!

Also re Bert Vogts point though - he gets too much credit for getting us to the Euro 2004 play off. He was manager at a time when previous successes meant we were 2nd seeds in a group. In that group our rivals to finish behind Germany were Faroes, Lithuania and a poor Iceland side. And we scraped in by a point after losing to Lithuania and drawing in Faroes!

Strachan has failed yes, but we were 4th seeds when he started, meaning much tougher draws.

Baader
09-10-2017, 12:50 PM
The genetics statement from Strachan was embarrassing. I've been fairly supportive of him but that sounded like someone who's lost the plot.

Totally agree. Was embarrassing hearing that and does our reputation no favours.

Stuart93
09-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Like he's done/doing his best to get the bullet, time for him to go, we need a fresh approach

Stokesy's on fire
09-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Do you have belief he will give new players a chance or stick to players who done him amazing in his words this term? To be a good International you need to change, he can't seem to do that. Not picking Griffiths was criminal as was his selections yesterday.

Yeah hindsight and all that..

I think the players let the nation down last night and his team selection to me was fine. The one that got away for me is Scott Arfield. I don't think changing Strachan is a wise move.

Firestarter
09-10-2017, 02:12 PM
Yeah hindsight and all that..

I think the players let the nation down last night and his team selection to me was fine. The one that got away for me is Scott Arfield. I don't think changing Strachan is a wise move.

His selection was shocking last night, over ran all night.

Arfield chose to go represent Canada, why? Because he never got a look in from yes, Strachan.

Swedish hibee
09-10-2017, 02:19 PM
If he thinks it's genetics- then the Dane's should the World cup winners.. What a truly stupid thing to say😲😲
I'll be shocked if he still has that job next week.

Ralphy C
09-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Agree what an embarrassing statement to make, smallest nation bar Spain, its really held them back!

G B Young
09-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Agreed!

Also re Bert Vogts point though - he gets too much credit for getting us to the Euro 2004 play off. He was manager at a time when previous successes meant we were 2nd seeds in a group. In that group our rivals to finish behind Germany were Faroes, Lithuania and a poor Iceland side. And we scraped in by a point after losing to Lithuania and drawing in Faroes!

Strachan has failed yes, but we were 4th seeds when he started, meaning much tougher draws.

That's a fair point. Mind you, from what I've read England have been dismal throughout this qualifying campaign yet still won the group by a mile - so you might conclude that the rest of the group must have dross.

I guess our latest failure means we're going to be stuck in the fourth pot of seeds for a good while to come, although it does rile me when fans complain about Scotland getting 'another tough group'. It's not down to the luck of the draw, it's down our own ineptitude down the years.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-10-2017, 03:53 PM
That's a fair point. Mind you, from what I've read England have been dismal throughout this qualifying campaign yet still won the group by a mile - so you might conclude that the rest of the group must have dross.

I guess our latest failure means we're going to be stuck in the fourth pot of seeds for a good while to come, although it does rile me when fans complain about Scotland getting 'another tough group'. It's not down to the luck of the draw, it's down our own ineptitude down the years.

We do also have to accept that it there are far teams to conpete against now.

All of the USSR, many of whom have populations elthe equal or greater than scotlands, croatia, slovenia, Slovakia, serbia, macedonia et al, all of whom have more natural talent than sxotland, or at least as much.

Yes standards need to rise, but expectations have nevet beem adjusted appropriately either imo.

J-C
09-10-2017, 03:57 PM
There was no genetic problems back in the day when we qualified on a regular basis, wee Archie Gemmill didn't have genetic problems when he scored the best goal in the 78 World cup, nor did Billy Bremner or Jimmy Johnstone, ridiculous statement by Strachan.

greenlex
09-10-2017, 03:59 PM
We will qualify for theEuros and the new manager will be hailed a genius. The reality is with 24 teams qualifying out a much smaller pool than the WC that I could manage Scotland to the next qualification.

Firestarter
09-10-2017, 04:01 PM
We will qualify for theEuros and the new manager will be hailed a genius. The reality is with 24 teams qualifying out a much smaller pool than the WC that I could manage Scotland to the next qualification.

Strachan couldn't though.

heretoday
09-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Strachan's statement was just his way of working out his disappointment over the result. He knows perfectly well Scotland's football problems go much deeper than the size of the players!

Only he could get away with such guff unchallenged. I suppose to raise objection could invite a violent reaction so the press just let him witter on.

GreenOnions
09-10-2017, 04:08 PM
I'd be amazed if he stays on. We have been seeded lower under the last few managers and I accept that makes it harder. However - our last few groups have not actually been as hard as we used to get. For WC2014 the top two teams qualified from our group with third place getting to the playoffs and we came 4th. The current group was certainly not the hardest and we failed to get into the playoffs due to draws against Lithuania and Slovenia - hardly world-beaters.

If we compare ourselves against other teams of similar standing (including home nations) we have not done well under Strachan IMHO - even though I'd accept we have improved somewhat in the last 12 months. Using that yardstick I think he needs to be replaced.

stoneyburn hibs
09-10-2017, 04:28 PM

I'm sure we'll find a way not too.

Pretty Boy
09-10-2017, 04:39 PM

Pity the current incumbent isn't as talented as you then:greengrin

IlDiavola
09-10-2017, 04:45 PM
If he thinks it's genetics- then the Dane's should the World cup winners.. What a truly stupid thing to say😲😲
I'll be shocked if he still has that job next week.

Hell, he'll probably have a brand new spanking five year deal by then! :rolleyes:

ekhibee
09-10-2017, 05:17 PM
I'd be amazed if he stays on. We have been seeded lower under the last few managers and I accept that makes it harder. However - our last few groups have not actually been as hard as we used to get. For WC2014 the top two teams qualified from our group with third place getting to the playoffs and we came 4th. The current group was certainly not the hardest and we failed to get into the playoffs due to draws against Lithuania and Slovenia - hardly world-beaters.

If we compare ourselves against other teams of similar standing (including home nations) we have not done well under Strachan IMHO - even though I'd accept we have improved somewhat in the last 12 months. Using that yardstick I think he needs to be replaced.
Yep, that's what I think as well. Slight improvement but still nowhere near good enough in groups that were, on the face of it, easier than a lot of the ones we had before. Interesting that a lot of the criticism, on the radio anyway, was that he didn't pick enough Celtic players for a lot of these games. I remember when Brown was manager and didn't rate him at all even though he took us to major tournaments. I always thought he picked old firm players instead of players with better ability from outside the old firm. The obvious one for me was when he picked Mark Burchill ahead of Kenny Miller, who at the time was at Hibs. On saying that, I always got the impression Brown didn't like Hibs and always seems to find it hard to compliment us at any time.

KSA Hibee
09-10-2017, 05:20 PM
If he does go .... anyone think Cathro could be the man? :wink:

IlDiavola
09-10-2017, 05:27 PM

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Did we pick big players in the games that we won?

Jim44
09-10-2017, 05:55 PM
I thought the hoo ha about his genetics comment was misquoting or tongue in cheek but I’ve just heard him on the news. Unbelievable and a dickhead. I was just about ready to give him another chance as he’d made a little progress but I’m afraid his stupidity cancels out any future in the job as far as I’m concerned.

Smartie
09-10-2017, 06:00 PM
I think he's stumbled across a decent formula, the team has done well of late and he deserves to keep going.

He drives me mad at times and I often disagree with his selections, but tbh on a few occasions he's been proven correct and I've been wide of the mark (selection of Berra, Bannon, perseverance with Chris Martin etc).

The talk of genetics is drivel and he needs to forget that crap fast.

I don't like the obsession amongst failed managers with experience and "tried and tested" as I'm much more of a "if you're good enough you're old enough" type. The second half yesterday was crying out for a bit of energy and our midfield were always going to tire after Thursday. His game management was poor, but tbf to him, it has been excellent of late.

The argument about who else you might get is valid. I don't know who out there is better, and there are plenty of people who would be worse. I honestly do think the players like him and believe in him, and in International football that is half the battle.

eastcoasthibby
09-10-2017, 07:08 PM
The key thing to him remining.in the job is that he has tohave learned from mistakes, to stop being so loyal and pigheaded and to be actively seen to be introducing new young blood to the team and not just the squad.
In saying this we do lack ability in some areas, particularly central defence and get the midfield shape/style.right and upfront. Lets.get some.frienies played try out the younger players, say thanks to those that have passed.their best at this level and build for next euros if we can, if not for the following tournaments start developing players to be more capable in the international stage ....

Liberal Hibby
09-10-2017, 07:11 PM
The genetics comment should be enough for him to get his jotters.

Nutmegged
09-10-2017, 07:45 PM

For what? typing out his P45? #Laptop

GreenNWhiteArmy
09-10-2017, 07:48 PM
I think he's stumbled across a decent formula, the team has done well of late and he deserves to keep going.

He drives me mad at times and I often disagree with his selections, but tbh on a few occasions he's been proven correct and I've been wide of the mark (selection of Berra, Bannon, perseverance with Chris Martin etc).

The talk of genetics is drivel and he needs to forget that crap fast.

I don't like the obsession amongst failed managers with experience and "tried and tested" as I'm much more of a "if you're good enough you're old enough" type. The second half yesterday was crying out for a bit of energy and our midfield were always going to tire after Thursday. His game management was poor, but tbf to him, it has been excellent of late.

The argument about who else you might get is valid. I don't know who out there is better, and there are plenty of people who would be worse. I honestly do think the players like him and believe in him, and in International football that is half the battle.

Good post. Sums up my feelings

lord bunberry
10-10-2017, 06:48 AM
He’s his own worst enemy at times. He’s always been terrible at doing after match interviews, and he suffers from the same syndrome that almost every Scotland manager suffers from, if a player isn’t playing for either Celtic or Rangers, then they’re down the pecking order behind players playing in the second or third tier down south. The only exception to this is if you’ve previously played down south.
The problem with most of our managers is that in order to get the job, they must have managed in England. AM being a rare exception.
We need to stop this obsession that the football in England is so much better than it is up here. We need to make Scottish players feel that they have a chance of playing international football while playing for Scottish clubs.
Strachan has improved the team, but his stubbornness may well be his downfall.

Walter
10-10-2017, 07:03 AM
Who do we get though ? Slim pickings

Iain G
10-10-2017, 07:21 AM
Kris Boyd thinks he should stay, good enough proof for me he should go 😁

Thecat23
10-10-2017, 07:27 AM
Who do we get though ? Slim pickings

I get what you are saying but this is the worst excuse to keep him on. To think there is not one manager in world football that would do better is madness.

McCinnes would be perfect but sadly won’t leave dons., I’d look abroad as well to see if there is anyone who may fit it. It’s like my boss at work saying you’ve failed to reach your target again but we can’t sack you because I don’t think anyone else is out there!

blackpoolhibs
10-10-2017, 07:32 AM
I get what you are saying but this is the worst excuse to keep him on. To think there is not one manager in world football that would do better is madness.

McCinnes would be perfect but sadly won’t leave dons., I’d look abroad as well to see if there is anyone who may fit it. It’s like my boss at work saying you’ve failed to reach your target again but we can’t sack you because I don’t think anyone else is out there!

Hahahaha, you used the exact opposite argument when Stubbs failed to reach his targets. :faf:

Pretty Boy
10-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Hahahaha, you used the exact opposite argument when Stubbs failed to reach his targets. :faf:

Whether it's contradictory with his previous argument or otherwise is irrelevant, he's correct.

The 'who else is out there' argument is a nonsense. It's suggestive that in all of world football there isn't one manager who could be identified that could do a better job that Gordon Strachan.

blackpoolhibs
10-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Whether it's contradictory with his previous argument or otherwise is irrelevant, he's correct.

The 'who else is out there' argument is a nonsense. It's suggestive that in all of world football there isn't one manager who could be identified that could do a better job that Gordon Strachan.

I actually agree, you should never think you cant replace a manager just because we the fans cant think of a replacement.

Its never up to us, its up to those who are running the show.

Its just madness though, that he can come out with such a contradictory statement, although we all know why dont we.

theonlywayisup
10-10-2017, 07:47 AM
At international level, does it matter if the manager hasn't played at the highest level? Would the top players respect someone who was no more than a journeyman?

green day
10-10-2017, 07:48 AM
Without banging on too much about Iceland and Ireland, its clear that these teams have a system that plays to their relative strengths and - tactical nuances for specific matches aside - dont really deviate.

I think that whoever the Scotland manager is needs to decide - perhaps along with the SFA - what type of football and what type of team we want to be, and then build around it for the next couple of tournaments.

Strachan started out thinking that LG was poor, then he turned into his saviour. That sort of confusion doesnt work - and regardless of the draw v England, we need to accept that in the WC qualifying matches we are playing for 2nd - and plan accordingly. After the draw with Lith and the loss to Slovenia, we were always on the back foot.

While I dont think Strachan is the man, whoever gets the gig needs a strategic plan and the players buying into it over 2-3 years.

Smartie
10-10-2017, 07:53 AM
At international level, does it matter if the manager hasn't played at the highest level? Would the top players respect someone who was no more than a journeyman?

The top players would. They are top players because they understand respect, and the fact that you stand a better chance of success by co-operating than by acting up.

The "nearly men", the ones who only play when they fancy it, the temperamentals - they'd have a problem I'm sure.

Thecat23
10-10-2017, 08:02 AM

What’s actually wrong with you? Do you stalk my posts? Told you before get me on ignore your creeping me out. 😂

blackpoolhibs
10-10-2017, 08:05 AM
What’s actually wrong with you? Do you stalk my posts? Told you before get me on ignore your creeping me out. 😂

Nowt wrong with me, you obviously just want to post anything you like without anyone picking out the contradictions?

Thecat23
10-10-2017, 08:05 AM
I actually agree, you should never think you cant replace a manager just because we the fans cant think of a replacement.

Its never up to us, its up to those who are running the show.

Its just madness though, that he can come out with such a contradictory statement, although we all know why dont we.

‘we all know why?’

What are you on about? Honestly you are coming across very bitter and jumping on any post now. It’s boring slightly funny and weird but I think you need to get out more.

blackpoolhibs
10-10-2017, 08:09 AM
‘we all know why?’

What are you on about? Honestly you are coming across very bitter and jumping on any post now. It’s boring slightly funny and weird but I think you need to get out more.

You clearly don't like Strachan, your insults over the months and years have shown that. You dont like him, fine, you want him out.

When someone does exactly the same, but you like him, keep him in as who else could do the job? :faf:

Maybe a messageboard is not the place for you if you dont want what you post questioned?

Thecat23
10-10-2017, 08:13 AM
You clearly don't like Strachan, your insults over the months and years have shown that. You dont like him, fine, you want him out.

When someone does exactly the same, but you like him, keep him in as who else could do the job? :faf:

Maybe a messageboard is not the place for you if you dont want what you post questioned?

Used to like him, then he turned into a smart arse and we all know no one likes a smart arse.

Do I think we could do better I’d like to think so! Message board is fine it’s your tone of being wide on every single post that’s made me laugh. I genuinely can’t rememer saying Stubbs was the only man for Hibs, but I’m sure if you dig back you’ll find it for me 😁👍🏼

blackpoolhibs
10-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Used to like him, then he turned into a smart arse and we all know no one likes a smart arse.

Do I think we could do better I’d like to think so! Message board is fine it’s your tone of being wide on every single post that’s made me laugh. I genuinely can’t rememer saying Stubbs was the only man for Hibs, but I’m sure if you dig back you’ll find it for me 😁👍🏼

A message board is all about opinions, yet when Stubbs failed to even finish above Falkirk you wouldnt even hear anyone say he'd failed in his objectives.

Strachan failed, see i can say that, and if he goes then i can see why.

Thecat23
10-10-2017, 08:25 AM
A message board is all about opinions, yet when Stubbs failed to even finish above Falkirk you wouldnt even hear anyone say he'd failed in his objectives.

No that’s incorrect, folk were throwing anything at him without taking in the cup runs, players injured or missing and the run of games we had at the end of that season.

If he’d simply had a mare I could understand it but it was far from that. I’ve no idea if he’d get us up if he stayed on I’d think he would but we’ll never know. I’m delighted we have Lennon though always have been.

Strachan is finished at Scotland, and I’m looking forward to trying to qualify with a manager who picks the right players from the start not just his pals.

blackpoolhibs
10-10-2017, 08:33 AM
No that’s incorrect, folk were throwing anything at him without taking in the cup runs, players injured or missing and the run of games we had at the end of that season.

If he’d simply had a mare I could understand it but it was far from that. I’ve no idea if he’d get us up if he stayed on I’d think he would but we’ll never know. I’m delighted we have Lennon though always have been.

Strachan is finished at Scotland, and I’m looking forward to trying to qualify with a manager who picks the right players from the start not just his pals.

So he just picked his pals, and of course Brown and Armstrong our first pick midfield being injured was just tough.

Strachans team drew with Lithuania at home, Stubbs team lost to Dumbarton and Alloa, was that bad luck or wrong team selections or Stubbs picking his pals?

No idea what Lennon has to do with this, but hey ho i am happy with him too.

Firestarter
10-10-2017, 08:43 AM

Did Stubbs not deliver the Scottish Cup a couple of weeks after finishing behind Falkirk? My objective for Hibs year in year out was to hope and pray each season we won the Scottish Cup, everything else could gtf if that happened, and it did. Strachan has delievered heehaw apart from a giant kick in the Staines at the start and end of the campaign.

J-C
10-10-2017, 09:23 AM
Did Stubbs not deliver the Scottish Cup a couple of weeks after finishing behind Falkirk? My objective for Hibs year in year out was to hope and pray each season we won the Scottish Cup, everything else could gtf if that happened, and it did. Strachan has delievered heehaw apart from a giant kick in the Staines at the start and end of the campaign.

The cup win overshadowed the mess that was the league campaign, finishing behind Falkirk was a disgrace and as far as I'm aware Stubbs was leaving no matter what happened in that cup final. He had too many flaws over his 2 year tenure and couldn't beat the wee teams enough, which was his downfall, legend for the cup win but a failure when it comes to the league.

Strachan has kept faith with too many over the hill players during his management, he should've started afresh after the last campaign and had a core of young good talent as the spine of the team, the fact that McGinn and McGregor sat on the bench on sunday proves he hasn't got a clue any more, the two of them were the best players on the park in the recent league game, yet he went with Fletcher and Bannan, enough said.

blackpoolhibs
10-10-2017, 09:52 AM

Yes he did, the best day of my life bar none.:agree:

Cant for the life of me see what that has to do with him failing in the league which is what Strachan and Stubs have done? Strachan is not given the lifeline of any other cups he could win to give him the same get out clause.

Did Bertie Vogts winning the Kirin cup make him more of a success?

The cup win overshadowed the mess that was the league campaign, finishing behind Falkirk was a disgrace and as far as I'm aware Stubbs was leaving no matter what happened in that cup final. He had too many flaws over his 2 year tenure and couldn't beat the wee teams enough, which was his downfall, legend for the cup win but a failure when it comes to the league.

Strachan has kept faith with too many over the hill players during his management, he should've started afresh after the last campaign and had a core of young good talent as the spine of the team, the fact that McGinn and McGregor sat on the bench on sunday proves he hasn't got a clue any more, the two of them were the best players on the park in the recent league game, yet he went with Fletcher and Bannan, enough said.

That proved nothing, all it says is you would have liked others in place of the players he chose. Who's to say those players would have done any better?

FWIW i'd have brought on McGregor in the 2nd half, although he did bring on Snodgrass who scored. If plukey was not such a pussy, we'd have got through, he was rooted to his line when a header from 4 yards out beat him.

I cant believe how easily he's getting away with this, maybe Strachan should have had McGregor in goals instead.

Ah i get it now, let the fans pick the team. :wink:

J-C
10-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Yes he did, the best day of my life bar none.:agree:

Cant for the life of me see what that has to do with him failing in the league which is what Strachan and Stubs have done? Strachan is not given the lifeline of any other cups he could win to give him the same get out clause.

Did Bertie Vogts winning the Kirin cup make him more of a success?

That proved nothing, all it says is you would have liked others in place of the players he chose. Who's to say those players would have done any better?

FWIW i'd have brought on McGregor in the 2nd half, although he did bring on Snodgrass who scored. If plukey was not such a pussy, we'd have got through, he was rooted to his line when a header from 4 yards out beat him.

I cant believe how easily he's getting away with this, maybe Strachan should have had McGregor in goals instead.

Ah i get it now, let the fans pick the team. :wink:

You can blame Gordon all you want, Fletcher gave away the foul and Fletcher didn't Mark his man in the box, it was schoolboy defending from the lot of them, Strachan played for a narrow win instead of going for it with better players.

blackpoolhibs
10-10-2017, 10:39 AM
You can blame Gordon all you want, Fletcher gave away the foul and Fletcher didn't Mark his man in the box, it was schoolboy defending from the lot of them, Strachan played for a narrow win instead of going for it with better players.

Better players in your opinion JC, i have no idea if Strachan played for a narrow win, although it appears if he'd only played McGregor and McGinn we'd have won easily and be in the play offs.

Now i know all this, of course Strachan should go.

AndyM_1875
10-10-2017, 10:52 AM

This. It was ***** defending and lack of basic marking that cost us against Slovenia.
Added to that were Strachan's basic tactics going wrong in the second half where it was apparent our midfield was struggling to cope with Phillips a passenger and Bannen offering little movement. With two in form midfielders in McGregor and McGinn (both of whom offer pace, technique and physicality) sitting on the bench this was all the more galling.

Our management of games should be scrutinised. Armstrong's failure to heave the ball into the stand and Berra and Mulgrew's keystone cops defending in the last minute of the England game that allowed the cross to come in for Kane to equalise and that wasn't Craig Gordon's fault.

As for the Lithuania home game.....:rolleyes:

Thecat23
10-10-2017, 11:17 AM
Fletcher lost his man his fault clear as day. But Gordon should also do better and must start commanding his area but that won’t happen because it’s always been his problem. Sad because he has the ability but just hasn’t the bottle!

Thecat23
10-10-2017, 11:30 AM
This. It was ***** defending and lack of basic marking that cost us against Slovenia.
Added to that were Strachan's basic tactics going wrong in the second half where it was apparent our midfield was struggling to cope with Phillips a passenger and Bannen offering little movement. With two in form midfielders in McGregor and McGinn (both of whom offer pace, technique and physicality) sitting on the bench this was all the more galling.

Our management of games should be scrutinised. Armstrong's failure to heave the ball into the stand and Berra and Mulgrew's keystone cops defending in the last minute of the England game that allowed the cross to come in for Kane to equalise and that wasn't Craig Gordon's fault.

As for the Lithuania home game.....:rolleyes:

Good post,

He should have at least brought on McGinn or McGregor that’s for sure. Both in form and would at least offered something going forward. All ifs and buts now though. Total clean out needed now including Strachan who thankfully think will go.

Michael
10-10-2017, 11:42 AM
I was happy for him to stay, but that genetics comment is just stupid. I still don't know who else we could realistically get that's better though.

OsloHibs
10-10-2017, 12:07 PM
What I'm suprised at is that it's Strachans decision.. What?!!!! Surely it's the folks at the SFA to decide if he stays or goes.

euro Hibby
10-10-2017, 12:08 PM
2 shots 2 failures so needs to do the right thing and stand down and give soomeone else a go..

AndyM_1875
10-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Good post,

He should have at least brought on McGinn or McGregor that’s for sure. Both in form and would at least offered something going forward. All ifs and buts now though. Total clean out needed now including Strachan who thankfully think will go.

I think he'll walk. He always sounds utterly exhausted at the end of every game to be fair.
But it will be his decision, whether the fans like it or not. The SFA won't sack him. They are more likely to offer him a new deal to be honest but with the international calendar about to get busier with the European Nations Tournament which will replace the Friendly match schedule as well as qualifying for the regular tournaments on top of that, whether GS has the energy for that, only he knows.

euro Hibby
10-10-2017, 02:37 PM
scary to think who they might replace him with but even more scary if he were to stay. SFA to select when I would prefer an outside body to handle the selection process then hand the best 3 candidates to the SFA for the final say.

Walter
10-10-2017, 03:19 PM

I'll rephrase then - what are our options

Thecat23
10-10-2017, 03:29 PM

I’d love to see Derek Mcinnes he would be my choice, as I think he’d be great! I see Malky Mackay is also early fav. No idea how I feel about that!

Why don’t the SFA scout the world see who’s out there? Thankfully it’s not my job but if people think no one in world football is better than Gordon Strachan then we may as well give up.

Firestarter
10-10-2017, 03:29 PM

Carlo Ancelloti.

heretoday
10-10-2017, 04:46 PM
I like Strachan. He's a kenspeckle figure. It's not his fault he's given a crock to play with. I think he's done pretty well considering.

We all know that we should have youth football facilities like Germany and Iceland etc. And the same attitude.

It's not going to happen though, is it?

Speedy
10-10-2017, 10:09 PM
No chance he'll get sacked. We're unbeaten this year, if he was going to get sacked it would've been after a 1-1 draw and two 3-0 defeats.

Iain G
12-10-2017, 11:46 AM
It's Thursday, has he gone yet? :greengrin

Souter96Mac
12-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Looking at some of the names on websites that show Next Scotland Manager Odds, it gives me the fear. Some of the names would just be another uninspiring appointment like Moyes, Davies, McLeish and i think we wouldn't be able to convince one of the better european names to come in.

G B Young
12-10-2017, 12:03 PM
What I'm suprised at is that it's Strachans decision.. What?!!!! Surely it's the folks at the SFA to decide if he stays or goes.

It doesn't sound from this that he has any say in the matter. As you say, nor should he. Reporter here seems to think he's a goner, but the SFA is such a limp organisation you never know:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41593525

LaMotta
12-10-2017, 12:17 PM

Well, not really - of course SFA can decide they don't want to renew his contract, but if they do want him to continue they can't force him to stay if he doesn't want to!

Smartie
12-10-2017, 12:25 PM
I can't remember ever wanting a team I support to hold onto a manager I so frequently disagree with as I do with Strachan.

It's strange.

In spite of the loyalty to the likes of Forrest, the obsession with lower league English players, the poor game management at times and the arsey interviews, I've been quite impressed with the way we've played this year.

We never look beaten, we plug away to the end and the players really look like they want to be there playing for him (not always the case with OF players and primadonnas from down South).

I really hope he stays.

GreenNWhiteArmy
12-10-2017, 12:32 PM
I can't remember ever wanting a team I support to hold onto a manager I so frequently disagree with as I do with Strachan.

It's strange.

In spite of the loyalty to the likes of Forrest, the obsession with lower league English players, the poor game management at times and the arsey interviews, I've been quite impressed with the way we've played this year.

We never look beaten, we plug away to the end and the players really look like they want to be there playing for him (not always the case with OF players and primadonnas from down South).

I really hope he stays.

Bang on the money for me and sums up my views

Frazerbob
12-10-2017, 12:34 PM

It's strange.

I really hope he stays.

Pretty much how I feel. I was screaming at him to get McGinn on the park when he sent him out to warm up on Sunday. Unforgivable indecision when we were 1-1. Despite that and his stubborn selections at the start of th campaign, he's defiantly taking us in the right direction. How can you bin the manager after the results and performaces of the last year? The players clearly back him, most of the fans who actually go to the games back him and nobody on the bookie's current list to replace him even remotely interests me. If he wants new a contact, give it to him.

Cocaine&Caviar
12-10-2017, 01:04 PM
Would like to see a clear out of the over 30s should a new manager come in except those vital to efforts (Gordon & Brown)

GK: Gordon, Archer

RB: Paterson, Anya
CB: Caulker?, Hanley
CB: Cooper, Hanlon
LB: Tierney, Shinnie

RM: Burke, Ritchie, Forrest
CM: Bannan, McGregor
CM: Brown, McGinn, Cairney
LM: Robertson, Fraser

AM: Armstrong, Gauld

ST: Griffiths, Rhodes, Cummings

Firestarter
12-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Looking at some of the names on websites that show Next Scotland Manager Odds, it gives me the fear. Some of the names would just be another uninspiring appointment like Moyes, Davies, McLeish and i think we wouldn't be able to convince one of the better european names to come in.

David Moyes done a fatastic job with Everton. Utd job too big for him and Sunderland are a basket case. We could do much worse.

Souter96Mac
12-10-2017, 01:20 PM

It's strange.

I really hope he stays.

Fair point, just checked, only 2 defeats in the last 11. Also just seen that Strachan has only lost 3 times at Hampden to Wales, Belgium and Germany most recently. Decent stat but probably highlights how poor away from home we've been: 5 wins in the last 13 away ties in international competitions.

DarlingtonHibee
12-10-2017, 01:21 PM
David Moyes done a fatastic job with Everton. Utd job too big for him and Sunderland are a basket case. We could do much worse.

No, please....

GreenNWhiteArmy
12-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Gone

Allant1981
12-10-2017, 01:37 PM
gone now

Hibee87
12-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Strach and Mcgoo are away.

Betty Boop
12-10-2017, 01:38 PM
He's gone.

Sergio sledge
12-10-2017, 01:41 PM

It is an interesting quirk that statistically our 4 best managers (in terms of win percentage and ignoring caretaker managers and Matt Busby) never qualified for a major tournament. The baseline measurement for management success in Scotland should be qualification, so in that respect Brown and Roxburgh are our most successful managers. Roxburgh qualified for 2 out of the three tournaments he attempted to qualify for in his time and yet he has a worse win percentage than Craig Levein.

Firestarter
12-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Ooft never seen that coming. Cheers and good luck Strachan. :agree:

Thecat23
12-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Yaaaassss,

Now to get shot of the dead wood! Finally some good news regarding Scotland!

green day
12-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Thank Christ. Someone with ideas which include not just playing the old guys please?

Blaster
Yaaaassss,

Now to get shot of the dead wood! Finally some good news regarding Scotland!

Time will tell I guess

Gordy M
Get Stubbs in.

weecounty hibby
12-10-2017, 01:48 PM
The dead wood should be removed from the top down. Start with Regan and keep going till we get a structure and people in place that aren't only really interested in two teams. And I don't mean Scotland and the U21s!!

Thecat23
12-10-2017, 01:48 PM
The dead wood should be removed from the top down. Start with Regan and keep going till we get a structure and people in place that are only really interested in two teams. And I don't mean Scotland and the U21s!!

Well said!

Dalianwanda
12-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Davie Moyes!?! No insider knowledge, just think it’ll be him 😫😱😰

DH1875
12-10-2017, 01:51 PM

You forgot Real Sociedad. Hope he's nowhere near the job.

Diclonius
12-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Looking forward to the next dull, uninspiring ex-OF yes-man.

SirDavidsNapper
12-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Get Micheal O'Neil in pronto

Brightside
12-10-2017, 02:04 PM
The press release talks of a new wave of young players coming through and fresh look required...it would be very typical of the SFA to come out with this guff and then hire someone like McLeish or Moyse.

I don't see any leading contenders in the scottish ranks tbh.

Hibbyradge
12-10-2017, 02:04 PM

Maybe wait till NI are out of the World Cup?

Diclonius
12-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Malky Mackay favourite. If he's in we can just forget about Euro 2020 now, he's the dinosaur's dinosaur.

Hibbyradge
12-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Looking forward to the next dull, uninspiring ex-OF yes-man.

I don't think you can level that at Strachan.

Diclonius
12-10-2017, 02:06 PM
The press release talks of a new wave of young players coming through and fresh look required...it would be very typical of the SFA to come out with this guff and then hire someone like McLeish or Moyse.

I don't see any leading contenders in the scottish ranks tbh.

We should be looking outside the UK for fresh ideas. Scottish managers haven't worked, and they can't all be like Vogts.

Brightside
12-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Malky Mackay favourite. If he's in we can just forget about Euro 2020 now, he's the dinosaur's dinosaur.

It just cannot happen. They have only just appointed him as the Performance "Tsar" not that anything has changed since he came into that post. Has anyone actually seen anything published lately about Project Brave?

greenlex
12-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Well, not really - of course SFA can decide they don't want to renew his contract, but if they do want him to continue they can't force him to stay if he doesn't want to!
This. Never was up to him. All the rhetoric since Sunday has been about his future in the job. It should have been about the future of the role. His contract was up. When the final whistle went he was not in charge.

greenlex
12-10-2017, 02:10 PM
Maybe wait till NI are out of the World Cup? Stick on.

IGRIGI
12-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Have absolutely no faith in the SFA making the correct choice.

It is guaranteed to be the cheapest yes man available.

Smartie
12-10-2017, 02:14 PM
I'm pretty disappointed tbh.

Persist with the core of good Celtic players who have a good understanding at club level.
Pick players on form rather than reputation or experience.
Build on progress that players like Robertson, Tierney and Griffiths have made during this campaign.
Help Oliver Burke kick on and break through properly.
Find some centre-halves and a natural RB pronto.
Find a replacement for our 3 ageing keepers who have served us well for 10-15 years but must be getting near to the end.

I don't care if they're young, old, foreign or a dyed in the wool Rangers or Celtic man, if they do the above then they get the job.

Strachan did fine and i hope he jumped rather than being pushed.

The Modfather
12-10-2017, 02:19 PM
I've every faith in Petrie and all the others to appoint the right man :fibber:

GreenNWhiteArmy
12-10-2017, 02:20 PM

Persist with the core of good Celtic players who have a good understanding at club level.
Build on progress that players like Robertson, Tierney and Griffiths have made during this campaign.
Find a replacement for our 3 ageing keepers who have served us well for 10-15 years but must be getting near to the end.

I don't care if they're young, old, foreign or a dyed in the wool Rangers or Celtic man, if they do the above then they get the job.

Again, I agree with your views on this subject

EdinMike
12-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Who was that up and coming lad that was at hearts ?! He might be in the running if they are looking for a fresh face. 🤔

Sioux
12-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Would like to see a clear out of the over 30s should a new manager come in except those vital to efforts (Gordon & Brown)

Aye, Gordon's vital to our efforts right enough. Responsible for the loss of the first goal on Sunday and for England's equaliser at Hampden. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't be oot. All IMHO of course.

Sioux
12-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Now we'll see all of those great managers with the ability to take Scotland to the next level suddenly appearing out of the woodwork. Not.

Firestarter
12-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Who was that up and coming lad that was at hearts ?! He might be in the running if they are looking for a fresh face. 🤔

Billy Broon?

LaMotta
12-10-2017, 02:42 PM

Agreed, some (not all) of the criticism that has been trotted out was OTT, short sighted, and largely in reaction to the bitter disappointment of not qualifying (without taking into account any of the positives).

Ryan69
12-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Ive always wanted Souness as manager.

Wouldnt take crap,not a yes man.....and you certainly wouldnt wanna face him at half time if your getting pumped!

Make it happen Scotland!

Lancs Harp
12-10-2017, 02:48 PM
I've got my PMI (project management Institute) qualifications, (plus agile and prince2) and a HND in Marine Telecommunications and Electronics.

My application has just gone in.

Pretty Boy
12-10-2017, 02:52 PM
I've heard Sam Allardyde mentioned a few times in the last couple of days.

Personally think there is no chance but his Parents were Scottish and the suggestion seemed to be he wanted some involvement back in football. I can't see him being at all welcome but, based purely on football, we could do worse.

Pretty Boy
12-10-2017, 02:53 PM

Wouldnt take crap,not a yes man.....and you certainly wouldnt wanna face him at half time if your getting pumped!

Make it happen Scotland!

The issue with Souness is that, much like Terry Butcher, after you take all that 'takes no crap' stuff out of the way there isn't a great deal of managerial ability.

Some of the stories from his time at Newcastle are frightening.

pontius pilate
12-10-2017, 02:55 PM

I mentioned Steven caulker ages ago as he is eligible I'd also like to see Liam cooper at Leeds given a chance

Souter96Mac
12-10-2017, 03:02 PM

Agree with most of that. When you look at the attacking options we have:Ritchie, Armstrong, Robertson and Griffiths, it's quite pleasing.

Pretty Boy
12-10-2017, 03:02 PM
We should be looking outside the UK for fresh ideas. Scottish managers haven't worked, and they can't all be like Vogts.

Agreed. There's a lot of foreign managers currently out of work who we should at least consider. A few of the top of my head are:

Aitor Karanka
Frank De Boer
Paulo Sousa
Gus Poyet

theonlywayisup
12-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Pretty disappointed in this to be honest.

Yes Strachan hasn't been perfect but then who is? Given the resources he has I think he was doing okay and beginning to build a good team.

However our problem is that we don't have decent centrebacks, apart from Griffiths we don't have good forwards and we don't have the midfielders that consistently do the game changing work.

Changing manager isn't going to solve year's of under investment in proper training and development.

Hibby soldier
12-10-2017, 03:06 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/gordon-strachan-leaves-post-as-manager-of-scotland-1-4585146

theonlywayisup
12-10-2017, 03:09 PM
See below!!

ekhibee
12-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Who was the dutch guy that did well with South Korea? Think he managed Chelski a couple of times as caretaker.

GreenCastle
Doesn't matter who they appoint.

Bigger structural issues in the game.

They could hire Pep or Jose but still wouldn't qualify.

Scotland won't qualify for a major tournament until changes are made.

HoboHarry
Who was the dutch guy that did well with South Korea? Think he managed Chelski a couple of times as caretaker.
Guus Hiddink

Allant1981
12-10-2017, 03:14 PM

Yes Strachan hasn't been perfect but then who is? Given the resources he has I think he was doing okay and beginning to build a good team.

However our problem is that we don't have decent centrebacks, apart from Griffiths we don't have good forwards and we don't have the midfielders that consistently do the game changing work.

Changing manager isn't going to solve year's of under investment in proper training and development.

sorry but he hasnt been doing ok, with the players available we should have finished second, yes the players need to take some of the blame but his team selections and then tactics were just awful

Pretty Boy
12-10-2017, 03:14 PM

Guus Hiddink

jacomo
12-10-2017, 03:17 PM

Guus Hiddink.

theonlywayisup
12-10-2017, 03:18 PM

Controversial comments alert!!!

Why is it that despite boys football clubs typically going for a good big yin over a good wee yin do we rarely find big yins who develop as top class players - eg our centrebacks are poor, we never produce good tall centre forwards and we never find good tall midfielders.

bingo70
12-10-2017, 03:20 PM
I've heard Sam Allardyde mentioned a few times in the last couple of days.

Personally think there is no chance but his Parents were Scottish and the suggestion seemed to be he wanted some involvement back in football. I can't see him being at all welcome but, based purely on football, we could do worse.

He'd be a terrific appointment in my opinion.

We should do all we can to try and get him in, ticks every box, apart from being English (or not Scottish) and that would soon be forgotten after a few good results

Billy Whizz
12-10-2017, 03:21 PM
We’ve got a bit of time to get appt right, so no excuses this time

Deansy
12-10-2017, 03:38 PM
The dead wood should be removed from the top down. Start with Regan and keep going till we get a structure and people in place that aren't only really interested in two teams. And I don't mean Scotland and the U21s!!

Never happen - for the simple reason the entire country (with the 2 obvious exceptions) would be delighted and the GFA wouldn't want that.

heretoday
12-10-2017, 03:51 PM

I'm very disappointed. Gordon made us at least a team to be reckoned with. Let's face it. We are the same level as the likes of Slovenia/Slovakia so just get on with it. He could have made us better.

CMurdoch
12-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Best bets are probably Lambert, Moyes and Mackay.
Would prefer they went for Sam Allardice but expect one of the above list.

Folk on JKB were asking for Ryan Giggs, Roy Keane etc - Bizarre.
Similarly Souness on here. He is a fourth rate manager and importantly a tenth rate man manager.
Think people believe their management abilities mirror their abilities as players. Not so.

The great thing about Strachan was his man management.
Under previous managers top players refused to play, retired prematurely from international football, got in the crapola through alcohol, decided to play for the Republic of Ireland instead of the the country of their birth. None of that happened under Strachan. This all appears to have been overlooked by many calling for him to go.
I didn't always agree with his selections but make no mistake whoever is chosen will quickly get called useless and most supporters will disagree with his player selections.
Too old, English Championship, Old Firm centric, not playing the players on form etc etc.

Saying that the new guy has a chance. He has the free kick talisman that is the thumb and two top players in Robertson and Tierney.
Just need a few more to add the necessary 10% extra quality required to push us over the next qualification line.
I believe we will qualify for the 2020 Euro's if we make the right appointment, that is a manager with a proven high level management record who is a great man manager and who can put together a team that plays better than the sum of it's limited parts. Would go for Allardice in a shot.

Cocaine&Caviar
12-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Aye, Gordon's vital to our efforts right enough. Responsible for the loss of the first goal on Sunday and for England's equaliser at Hampden. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't be oot. All IMHO of course.

& who would you have had in his place?

cabbageandribs1875
12-10-2017, 04:30 PM
disappointed :( i hope whoever is the new coach plays in-form players, and not afraid to play young guys, they can't gain experience if they can't get a game

p.s. and doesn't play sellicks forrest, a hugely overrated player(IMO)

p.p.s. and get shot of all businessmen that are in the SFA

Smartie
12-10-2017, 04:32 PM

Make it happen Scotland!

There was a time when I would have liked Souness but I think football has moved on and left him (and as was mentioned above, Butcher and the likes too) behind.

I don't think you motivate modern footballers by ranting, raving and either threatening violence or actually inflicting it.

You need to tread that fine line of being the players' best friend whilst also having them being terrified of you as you are the one that can take away the thing that they want more than anything - their place in the team, their position as a professional footballer (in this case an Internationalist) and all that goes with it.

Thecat23
12-10-2017, 04:42 PM
We’ve got a bit of time to get appt right, so no excuses this time

Exactly, scout the world not ex old firm managers. Still be good if we had a proper clear out in the SFA but sadly won’t happen. But getting rid of Strachan was clearly the right move so they got that right I suppose.

hfc rd
12-10-2017, 04:47 PM

Couldn't agree more

Sir David Gray
12-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Not surprised by this news and I think it's for the best. There are a whole lot of other problems to deal with though before Scottish football is going to be able to move forward.

We're still light years away from other countries of a similar size (and sometimes even smaller) to ourselves and getting rid of Strachan isn't going to resolve these issues.

greenlex
12-10-2017, 05:04 PM
One body running the game would be a start. Make the aim football performance and not TV gererated money and two clubs in paricular driving things.
Start with larger leagues to facilitate youth progression instead of the wall they seem to hit at 18/19. Reserve league so instead of playing against your peers past the age of 18/19 you are tested against older pros.
Improves facilities or actually using the exsisting ones. Opening up the school astro turfs to all and free would be a start. Get kids playing againbecause these days they cant for a number of reasons kick the ball about the streets.
If these types of things are not addressed it wont matter who is in charge of the national squad.

Thecat23
12-10-2017, 05:15 PM
One body running the game would be a start. Make the aim football performance and not TV gererated money and two clubs in paricular driving things.
Start with larger leagues to facilitate youth progression instead of the wall they seem to hit at 18/19. Reserve league so instead of playing against your peers past the age of 18/19 you are tested against older pros.
Improves facilities or actually using the exsisting ones. Opening up the school astro turfs to all and free would be a start. Get kids playing againbecause these days they cant for a number of reasons kick the ball about the streets.
If these types of things are not addressed it wont matter who is in charge of the national squad.

Hard to argue with any of this. 👍🏼

G B Young
12-10-2017, 05:16 PM
I'm very disappointed. Gordon made us at least a team to be reckoned with. Let's face it. We are the same level as the likes of Slovenia/Slovakia so just get on with it. He could have made us better.

Reckoned with by who? As Tom English correctly points out here, he simply wasn't good enough when you see what the Irish sides achieve:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41600788

Smartie
12-10-2017, 05:19 PM
How sweeping are the changes that we REALLY need to make though?

We missed out on a play-off on goal difference. Craig Gordon comes off his line v England to make an easy catch and we're in a playoff. We're a year unbeaten having played trickyish games against England, Slovakia and Slovenia (twice).

Yes, Iceland are doing well. But how far is our footballing infrastructure behind that of Wales, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland? (Whilst acknowledging we have issues that need to be addressed and areas we can improve).

For all I like Strachan, he can be a prickly wee git. You could imagine him being asked a perfectly reasonable question about what he has learnt, what he thought he got wrong, and what he plans to do about it and being an obnoxious fud about it giving them little choice but to give him his jotters.

superfurryhibby
12-10-2017, 05:21 PM

No we're not at the same level. Slovakia were ranked within the world top 20, we were 43rd. Quite a gulf I would say.

Strachan didn't help himself with his boorish media persona. The accusations of inflexibility over player selection also contributed to his demise and questions were rightly raised about his reluctance to integrate emerging talent into the side. In saying that I remember Craig Brown got it tight about the same things. Difference being that he had the side qualifying for major tournaments.

Strachan's reign promised more than it delivered. Ultimately, he failed at two major tournaments. Some good results and some very poor ones. There was a lack of consistency and that cost us dearly.

In terms of future appointments. I think we do need to broaden the scope of choices and try and find a mature manager who is at the stage of their career who is content with the sporadic nature of fixtures and who has a track record of getting the most out of their players. Happy for a non Scot to be given the role.

Wilson
12-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Reckoned with by who? As Tom English correctly points out here, he simply wasn't good enough when you see what the Irish sides achieve:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41600788

Good article. I agree with much of it. Strachan had had his time. I think he did HIS best but that didn't get the best results achievable for Scotland.

Scorrie
12-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Will be interesting to see who the SFA go for next. In terms of continuity and giving younger players a chance, I wonder about Scot Gemmill. Coached Scotland at u17, u19 and currently u21 so has come through with the players. Has had decent results at all these levels and so could be ideal to bring the next generation through...?

blaikie
12-10-2017, 05:39 PM
I've got a really bad feeling it's going to be McCoist!

angus hibby
12-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Wonder if Stubbs would be interested? With Rod on SFA board, Stubbs’ name may well be discussed.

Good with the media, excellent man manager - I think he’d be a good appointment.

His last result at Hampden was pretty decent! 😂

Scorrie
12-10-2017, 05:41 PM

33-1 with Paddy Power. Would ease the pain!

lucky
12-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Big Sam would an interesting appointment. But it will be someone who has a connection with the Old Firm.

Northernhibee
12-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Wonder if Stubbs would be interested? With Rod on SFA board, Stubbs’ name may well be discussed.

Good with the media, excellent man manager - I think he’d be a good appointment.

I've already suggested that. Did very well bringing on young players with us too which IMO is important for who we appoint.

bingo70
12-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Bert van Marwijk?

Scorrie
12-10-2017, 05:49 PM

At least McGinn would get a game!

Delboy4
12-10-2017, 05:52 PM
First of all, get rid of all the auld cloth caps that run the SFA. I always remember Roughy saying that they only thought of themselves and not their country AND that was away back in 1978 WC...it's NOT changed a bit.

Two guys that I would appoint at the top would be Gordon Smith & Brian McClair ( these two left because the committee wouldn't allow them to carry out what was required )

They both know what Scotland need from the bottom up and how kids should be coached. McClair must be kicking himself, leaving Man Utd thinking that he was going to change the system.

Then get the correct manager in and all sing from the same hymn sheet..!

Ha, whilst typing this Gordon Smith on Radio 2 sort of slating Gordon Strachan about not playing the correct squad at the start of the campaign.

And for the manager...GOD FK&iNG KNOWS

ancient hibee
12-10-2017, 06:07 PM
At any level of football the essential requirement of a manager is that he puts the right team on the park.Strachan failed to do this a number of times and it seems that often it was his way of telling the press he would do it his way and not the way they wanted him to do it.

Stonewall
12-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Sorry to see Strachan go. Probably the right time though.

Looking forward to hearing more about his theories of eugenics now he'll have more time to develop them.

Hibernia&Alba
12-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Moyes?

bingo70
12-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Moyes?

If he wasn't Scottish would he even be considered?

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Moyes?

A non starter for me, McLeish as well, no thanks.

Hibernia&Alba
12-10-2017, 07:11 PM
If he wasn't Scottish would he even be considered?

He was superb for Everton; it's just all gone wrong since. I still think he's a good manager.

Billy Whizz
12-10-2017, 07:13 PM
He was superb for Everton; it's just all gone wrong since. I still think he's a good manager.

Probably is, not sure he’s what we need after Strachan though

WhileTheChief..
12-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Paul Lambert. He’s already said recently that he’d like a crack at it sometime.

Hibernia&Alba
12-10-2017, 07:20 PM

Good shout.

Blaster
12-10-2017, 07:28 PM

He'd be my choice out of the obvious names being mentioned

bingo70
12-10-2017, 07:29 PM

But if he wasn't Scottish would he be considered?

You might be right about him potentially being an excellent manager......or he could be an average one that got a bit lucky at Everton. The national team shouldn't be an experiment to see if someone's still got it or not.

I don't know much about Moyes but from the little I've seen he's lost his enthusiasm, he doesn't look or come across as someone that'll inspire players.

IMO there's no great Scottish candidates to be the top guy but there's plenty of good candidates to assist whoever gets it.

People I'd like to be considered are:-

Allardyce
Klinsman
Bert van marwijk (don't know much about him but seems to be successful at national level)
Martin O'Neill (he may fancy a new challenge after this campaign?)

A.n.other (there must be a director of football somewhere in Europe that'd be suited to international management)

Fwiw I think Michael O'Neill will get it and it'll be a complete disaster.

WhileTheChief..
12-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Whoever it is, their only job should be to get the best first team possible and qualify for a damn tournament.

He should have nothing to do with trying to organise the game, develop kids or put action plans into place. All of that is for clubs and the SFA to deal with. I don’t want him anywhere near a think tank.

This is is meant to be the pinnacle of our game. Let’s stop mucking around trying to build for the future and concentrate on winning the next game. Then the next one.

Firestarter
12-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Whoever it is, their only job should be to get the best first team possible and qualify for a damn tournament.

He should have nothing to do with trying to organise the game, develop kids or put action plans into place. All of that is for clubs and the SFA to deal with. I don’t want him anywhere near a think tank.

This is is meant to be the pinnacle of our game. Let’s stop mucking around trying to build for the future and concentrate on winning the next game. Then the next one.

Yep. Definitely. :agree:

Tomsk
12-10-2017, 08:55 PM

Oh, don't say that. Please!

Trouble is, you wouldn't put it past them.

OsloHibs
12-10-2017, 09:17 PM
I'm happy he's gone. You can't fail at 2 campaigns and still be in a job- what kind of country are you!!!!!

Sammy7nil
12-10-2017, 09:23 PM

IMHO he would be a disaster eye bleeding hoof ball and i think he has just got lucky. He lost his first ten games if he lost his first four Scotland he would be out :greengrin

Sammy7nil
12-10-2017, 09:30 PM

It is more likely to be Rita Fairclough from Corrie

Green Cabbage 7
12-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Stubbsy put his name forward yet?

Hibeesforever
12-10-2017, 09:37 PM
If Scotland want to win things, they should appoint Alan Stubbs!

SteveHFC
12-10-2017, 09:38 PM

If that was to ever happen, i wouldn't renewing my membership.

Sir David Gray
12-10-2017, 09:44 PM
I would seriously consider an approach for Derek McInnes.

Hibernia&Alba
12-10-2017, 09:56 PM

Another good call.

Thecat23
12-10-2017, 10:02 PM

Same here, but after turning down the chance to manage in the PL not sure he’d take it. Plus he’s still young and may want to still be involved in everyday stuff that goes with a club manager like training each day and just being involved in club football.

Huge difference from that to managing at international level.

GreenOnions
12-10-2017, 10:08 PM
Jim Duffy? Very well respected in the game.

Hibernia&Alba
12-10-2017, 10:20 PM

Only if Houston doesn't get it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-10-2017, 10:21 PM
Big Sam would an interesting appointment. But it will be someone who has a connection with the Old Firm.

I'd rather have Cathro before that fud.

silverhibee
12-10-2017, 10:45 PM

He won't want the Scotland gig just now.

His next move when he leaves Aberdeen will be down South.

silverhibee
12-10-2017, 10:47 PM

Is this a whoosh

Sir David Gray
12-10-2017, 10:55 PM
Same here, but after turning down the chance to manage in the PL not sure he’d take it. Plus he’s still young and may want to still be involved in everyday stuff that goes with a club manager like training each day and just being involved in club football.

Huge difference from that to managing at international level.

I'm not sure that he would refuse it if he was offered the job. For all that Scotland is a basket case when it comes to international football just now, the chance to manage your country doesn't come along every day and it's one of the biggest honours in the game.

He's probably taken Aberdeen about as far as he can and he'll surely see the Scotland job as a huge challenge. I understand there's a difference in that he won't be working with players every day and maybe he won't want to give that up but I would be at least asking him if he is interested.

From the SFA's perspective, they would be neglecting their duties if they didn't show an interest in McInnes in my opinion.

Thecat23
12-10-2017, 10:55 PM
Is this a whoosh

Shirley!!!

KazaHibs
12-10-2017, 11:03 PM

You mean along the m8? Der Hun awaits for him

Nicho87
12-10-2017, 11:13 PM
Derek McInnes
Alex Neil
Paul Lambert

Thecat23
12-10-2017, 11:21 PM
I'm not sure that he would refuse it if he was offered the job. For all that Scotland is a basket case when it comes to international football just now, the chance to manage your country doesn't come along every day and it's one of the biggest honours in the game.

He's probably taken Aberdeen about as far as he can and he'll surely see the Scotland job as a huge challenge. I understand there's a difference in that he won't be working with players every day and maybe he won't want to give that up but I would be at least asking him if he is interested.

From the SFA's perspective, they would be neglecting their duties if they didn't show an interest in McInnes in my opinion.

In IMO managing Scotland isn’t as big as it used to be. The Spark kind of went and players would often see them as a inconvenience friendly wise. We all know playing for Scotland should be right up there with the highlight of your career but it lost its mojo. Not saying all players, thankfully we still have guys desperately wanting to play no matter what.

Has it been because of the champions league factor? We already see the best players now with the amount of footy where before a Scotland game in tv was only time you would see a team like France or whoever we’re playing.

Just playing a bit devils advocate here, don’t think there is an answer but I feel modern Football has made us lose focus on our country’s national side. Or is it purely because we’re just ***** 😁

Swedish hibee
13-10-2017, 01:29 AM
In IMO managing Scotland isn’t as big as it used to be. The Spark kind of went and players would often see them as a inconvenience friendly wise. We all know playing for Scotland should be right up there with the highlight of your career but it lost its mojo. Not saying all players, thankfully we still have guys desperately wanting to play no matter what.

Has it been because of the champions league factor? We already see the best players now with the amount of footy where before a Scotland game in tv was only time you would see a team like France or whoever we’re playing.

Just playing a bit devils advocate here, don’t think there is an answer but I feel modern Football has made us lose focus on our country’s national side. Or is it purely because we’re just ***** 😁

It's so sad you feel like this. I hope you get a manager who ignites the spark you & many others on here are missing about your national side.