PDA

View Full Version : Marciano or Laidlaw?

Ian Cathro
12-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Who would you start on Saturday?

Northernhibee
12-10-2017, 08:55 AM
Marciano.

andy1875
12-10-2017, 08:55 AM
Laidlaws place to lose after coming in and doing well.

He should keep his place and deservably so.

Hibee87
12-10-2017, 09:04 AM
You cant drop Laidlaw as he has not done anything wrong. Rocky has to be patient and take his chance when it next comes around.

Pretty Boy
12-10-2017, 09:05 AM
Laidlaw.

Good performances and taking a chance should be rewarded otherwise it creates a culture of complacency.

GreenArmyyy!
12-10-2017, 09:15 AM
If you drop Laidlaw it makes a mockery of the "competition for places argument". Never been much of a fan of Laidlaw but he's impressed me since he's came in this season.

.Sean.
12-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Laidlaw

Nicho87
12-10-2017, 09:24 AM
By rights it should stay with Laidlaw. However when Lennon signed Marciano he made it clear this is my number one. Tough call all the same

Andy74
12-10-2017, 09:31 AM
You cant drop Laidlaw as he has not done anything wrong. Rocky has to be patient and take his chance when it next comes around.

That's fine if Rocky was dropped in the first place for making mistakes. I don't think he was - he made one but ordinarily that would not have seen him dropped. He was taken out in prep for a game he was missing for religious reasons and so I think we could apply the same argument that Rocky had done nothing to be dropped in the first place.

Play the best team and that includes Rocky as keeper.

Souter96Mac
12-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Would be happy with either, both decent keepers. Yes it would probably be harsh on laidlaw, but not bothered really with who's in net, as long as we win.

J-C
12-10-2017, 09:32 AM
If you drop Laidlaw it makes a mockery of the "competition for places argument". Never been much of a fan of Laidlaw but he's impressed me since he's came in this season.

Who says Laidlaw was there to give competition, Marciano was signed as number 1 with Laidlaw as number 2 and backup, I expect Marciano to play on Saturday.

Smartie
12-10-2017, 09:44 AM
Laidlaw didn't just come in and have a fluky blinder - he came in and looked very solid over several games.

He should keep the gloves.

Harsh on Rocky, who didn't deserve to be dropped, but when you miss a game for whatever reason you run the risk of losing your place if the replacement performs well.

houstonhibbee
12-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Laidlaw didn't just come in and have a fluky blinder - he came in and looked very solid over several games.

He should keep the gloves.

Harsh on Rocky, who didn't deserve to be dropped, but when you miss a game for whatever reason you run the risk of losing your place if the replacement performs well.
As the manager you have to put out what you think is the best team to win on the day. At the moment I woukd say that the gk position stays with laidlaw based on his performances and for consistency.

Tollhouse Hibee
12-10-2017, 09:50 AM
I dont think we had a clean sheet till Laidlaw came in?? I have not been at all impressed by Rocky this season I'm afraid.

Laidlaw deserves to keep his place.

houstonhibbee
12-10-2017, 09:51 AM
I dont think we had a clean sheet till Laidlaw came in?? I have not been at all impressed by Rocky this season I'm afraid.

Agreed

Pretty Boy
12-10-2017, 09:59 AM

Worth noting as well that Hibs have never lost a game that Laidlaw has played in.

HFCdeb
12-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Laidlaw.

DH1875
12-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Who says Laidlaw was there to give competition, Marciano was signed as number 1 with Laidlaw as number 2 and backup, I expect Marciano to play on Saturday.

Laidlaw should start the game but like you, I fully expect Marciano to start.

NAE NOOKIE
12-10-2017, 11:15 AM
Laidlaw. Its a pity for Rocky because he wasn't dropped as such, but Laidlaw has performed well since he came in and IMO it would be daft to drop a keeper who is clearly in good form to bring back a keeper who was far from convincing in his last game.

Nicho87
12-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Worth noting as well that Hibs have never lost a game that Laidlaw has played in.

Laidlaw played in the league cup defeat last season to queen of the south

Wheat Hound
12-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Laidlaw played in the league cup defeat last season to queen of the south

True but he's played about 20 league games and is undefeated. Granted they were mostly championship games but he looked comfortable and undaunted at an intimidating venue at Parkhead last week plus his debut v a decent European team in Brondby where he looked totally unphased. I like him a lot.

Billy McKirdy
12-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Laidlaw deserves the gloves

12-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Laidlaw. Keep him in until he's made a couple of mistakes and then Rocky gets his chance. Then back to Laidlaw once Rocky's made a couple of mistakes.

Pretty Boy
12-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Laidlaw played in the league cup defeat last season to queen of the southSorry I should have said I meant league games.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Billychaotic182
12-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Laidlaw, he’s been excellent and doesn’t deserve to be dropped, would send the wrong message to drop him!

Not In The Know
12-10-2017, 12:43 PM
I thought Rocky was looking a bit err....rocky the last two games. Laidlaw has been excellent and deserves to keep his place.

Thecat23
12-10-2017, 12:46 PM
For some reason Rocky wasn’t up to his best I thought before he had to take a break that w’end. Since then Laidlaw has been very good and defence for me looks confident with him as well. Not saying they aren’t with rocky but it doesn’t seem to have bothered them.

He should stay on until he himself looks shaky or let’s in a stupid goal.

Michael
12-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Bring back Conrad.

NZ Green
12-10-2017, 01:33 PM
I think on his day Rocky is the better keeper, Laidlaw has done well recently though. I think Marciano only missed the Celtic game because of religious reasons so I feel it would be bit harsh to drop him because of that. Difficult choice, nice to have 2 good keepers though.

Bostonhibby
12-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Its a good choice to have, for me Marciano is one of the better keepers we've had in a while but I think when he has a bad day it really is a bad day.

I feel Laidlaw is in possession, he's a good keeper, not done much wrong so he's there on merit and keeps the jersey for the time being.

houstonhibbee
12-10-2017, 03:00 PM
I think on his day Rocky is the better keeper, Laidlaw has done well recently though. I think Marciano only missed the Celtic game because of religious reasons so I feel it would be bit harsh to drop him because of that. Difficult choice, nice to have 2 good keepers though.

Did laid law not play in the 1-0 win at Ross county before the Celtic game?

Firestarter
12-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Marciano is our number 1 and should start when fit.

silverhibee
12-10-2017, 04:08 PM

If that's the case big chap then Laidlaw would be just as well putting in for a transfer this January.

Andy74
12-10-2017, 04:12 PM
If that's the case big chap then Laidlaw would be just as well putting in for a transfer this January.

He signed in the first place knowing he was back up. I think Lennon has been pretty clear on that front.

Different level of course but Romero at Man U also aware and happy to play the role.

Hibee Mac
12-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Laidlaw for me. I'm more confident with him between the sticks this season.

Ronniekirk
12-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Laidlaw has done nothing wrong so doesn't deserve to loose his place .Its as simple as that for me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZhibee
12-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Laidlaw, I hope he does well but eventually he will have an off night and Rocky will be back, if he doesn't then great.

GreenArmyyy!
12-10-2017, 05:38 PM

You put Rocky straight back in then it gives him the comfort that his form has been good enough this season which it hasn't.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
12-10-2017, 05:50 PM
You put Rocky straight back in then it gives him the comfort that his form has been good enough this season which it hasn't.

Laidlaw

When / if Rocky wins the gloves back he knows he needs to come and deal with cross balls like for Motherwells first goal in the future. Breeds competition and can only be a good thing.

hibee
12-10-2017, 05:57 PM
Laidlaw should play but I doubt he will.

S4uzee
12-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Lennon confirmed Laidlaw will start

Sammy7nil
12-10-2017, 05:59 PM
He signed in the first place knowing he was back up. I think Lennon has been pretty clear on that front.

Different level of course but Romero at Man U also aware and happy to play the role.

No doubt he signed knowing he was back up however when he waits for his chance and his opportunity comes along and he plays well with the team getting good results I don't think it is unreasonable for him to expect to keep his place.

DarlingtonHibee
12-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Lennon confirmed Laidlaw will start

This, said it in press conference.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Laidlaw. I don't think that it is a great idea telling players that they are first choices if they are fit. I fully respect Marciano's decision not to play and the boss obviously did as well but I hope that he was told that he wasn't guaranteed to get his shirt back if Laidlaw had performed well.

WhileTheChief..
12-10-2017, 07:13 PM
Huge congrats to Rocky on the birth of his baby boy :thumbsup:

Eyrie
12-10-2017, 07:27 PM
Happy with either of them, and how long is it since we could say that about the goalkeeping position?

J-C
12-10-2017, 08:08 PM
The lad Laidlaw may have signed as backup but if he's improved significantly Lennon might see him as a genuine option.

Pretty Boy
12-10-2017, 08:14 PM
The lad Laidlaw may have signed as backup but if he's improved significantly Lennon might see him as a genuine option.

Exactly.

Football squads are fluid. I'd be concerned if any manager was picking his team based on nothing more than the players role when he initially signed.

Someone above mentioned Romero and Man Utd. The reason his role has never become an issue there is because David De Gea has not only maintained his performance but continued to improve and sits comfortably as one of the top 5 goalkeepers in the world.

At Hibs there have been question marks over Rocky in a couple of games and he's also had to miss games for a specific reason. Laidlaw has come in and given Lennon something to think about. So much so that it looks like for the time being his role within the squad has changed.

silverhibee
12-10-2017, 08:17 PM

Fully understand that, but he has waited patiently for his chance to come along and he has taken that chance and should get to keep his place in the team, Lennon has shown that he will drop whoever he wants with outfield players, and your right, totally different level, I get that situation at Man Utd, but Rocky isn't one of the best goalkeepers in the world at this time, so his place with Hibs should always be under threat from who is the No 2.

Scouse Hibee
12-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Laidlaw will start and rightly so, started as second choice got his chance and took it. Rocky is now back up and has a fight to win back his place.

Swedish hibee
12-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Laidlaw for me.

SirDavidsNapper
12-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Rocky will have to earn his place. Ross has done well since stepping in.

Brooster
13-10-2017, 05:25 AM
Excellent news. Laidlaw is our best goalie.

EdinMike
13-10-2017, 07:12 AM
Congrats to Rocky on his baba.. I wonder if he’s taking name suggestions

MSK
13-10-2017, 07:37 AM
Congrats to Rocky on his baba.. I wonder if he’s taking name suggestionsJocky 😲

Jonnyboy
13-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Everyone is wrong according to the BBC's online match preview which includes the following statement

"Ross Turnbull will start in goal with Ofir Marciano having missed training while his wife gave birth."

DarlingtonHibee
13-10-2017, 08:05 PM
? Lennon said this in his press conference

Jonnyboy
13-10-2017, 08:06 PM
? Lennon said this in his press conference

Nope, just the Beeb cocking things up as usual

Johnny_Leith
13-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Nope, just the Beeb cocking things up as usual

Lennon has confirmed Laidlaw will start v Aberdeen.

https://youtu.be/fRwp-EF_UhU

WhileTheChief..
13-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Rocky hasn’t been dropped.

Lennon said in the press conference that he was given time off due to the birth of his boy.

Pretty sure most folk can understand him spending time with his wife considering she’s over here in a foreign land.

It’s all good.