PDA

View Full Version : Tickets An American in Edinburgh

deepteeth
09-10-2017, 08:25 PM
Hello Hibs Fans!

I'm Mitch, an American who will be visiting your fair city & greater country in a couple of weeks to celebrate my recent engagement. I'm writing to ask if anyone could help me get two tickets for my fiancée and I for the Derby on 10/24. I am a huge fan of the Portland Timbers here in the US, and would love to experience Scottish soccer for the first time. I reached out to the club directly to see if they could help me get around the requirement to have purchased a ticket for a lower-level match, but after much pleading they said they couldn't help.

Why Hibs?

- Timbers wear green and gold, close enough
- We also have some Lithuanian talent, in Vytas
- Edinburgh is cool

What's in it for you?

- A beer at the match
- My eternal thanks
- A Timbers Army scarf trade
- The consolation of knowing that the USA is also on the verge of not qualifying for Russia

Please let me know if you can help.

Hibbyradge
09-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Good luck, Mitch.

I'm sure someone will help you.

However, you can't get beer in Scottish football stadiums.

Callum7
09-10-2017, 08:34 PM
There is still hospitality tickets available but at £160 a head they’re considerably more expensive.

Good luck,
Callum

deepteeth
09-10-2017, 08:35 PM

Ah, well. Perhaps a beer before? Or after?

Thank you :)

18Hibee75
09-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Good Luck Mitch, I'm sure there will be someone that can't go!

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I'm_cabbaged
09-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Good luck, Mitch.

I'm sure someone will help you.

You can cleverly sneak a few in on a cap though!! ;)

I think you'll be lucky bud, it's a sell out. Not sure if there's hospitality packages still on the go?

deepteeth
09-10-2017, 08:43 PM
There is still hospitality tickets available but at £160 a head they’re considerably more expensive.

Good luck,
Callum

£320 is definitely a bit over our budget, but I will keep on looking. Thanks!

deepteeth
09-10-2017, 08:45 PM
You can cleverly sneak a few in on a cap though!! ;)

I think you'll be lucky bud, it's a sell out. Not sure if there's hospitality packages still on the go?

Lucky or unlucky?? The Hibs front office also pointed me to the hospitality packages, but I think just going to the bar might be the better option, as that is definitely out of our price range.

pacoluna
09-10-2017, 08:57 PM
A lower level match?

deepteeth
09-10-2017, 09:05 PM
A lower level match?

"You will not be able to purchase tickets for this game unless you have previously registered on our database and have a booking history. As this is a Category A game it is higher security so we are unable to sell tickets to anyone not on our records."

That's the message they sent me. I guess I need to have purchased tickets to a Category B match to be eligible to purchase tickets for this match.

steelendhibs
09-10-2017, 09:09 PM
I think you and your fiancee should be guests of the club, do the half time draw and sit in executive seats. Great publicity and a general feel good story. Not my call obviously but would be nice if someone could make it happen

steelendhibs
09-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Maybe we could have you chainsawing a log when hibs score?

deepteeth
09-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Maybe we could have you chainsawing a log when hibs score?

YES!

"Anything to declare?"

"Yes, this chainsaw. I plan on bringing it to a well-attended soccer match!"

"..."

Firestarter
09-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Good luck Mitch. There will be a couple of spares on the night so probably have a word with the Hibs club or head there. Maybe even Frank Dougan could help him out?

Sir David Gray
09-10-2017, 09:29 PM
If you're willing to hang around outside before the game, I'm sure there will be someone selling a couple of tickets.

The fact you're needing two may complicate things slightly but I wouldn't rule it out.

deepteeth
09-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Good luck Mitch. There will be a couple of spares on the night so probably have a word with the Hibs club or head there. Maybe even Frank Dougan could help him out?

You mean just head to the stadium the day of the match? Do you mean from the box office, or from scalpers?

deepteeth
09-10-2017, 09:32 PM
If you're willing to hang around outside before the game, I'm sure there will be someone selling a couple of tickets.

The fact you're needing two may complicate things slightly but I wouldn't rule it out.

Awesome, thank you. I will try that out if I can't line something up beforehand. Is there anywhere in particular that is a good place to wait?

-Jonesy-
It's called football mate

JeMeSouviens
I was over in Oregon for the eclipse in August. Fantastic, loved the coast as well.

Sadly the derby is sold out so the only way you’ll get tickets is finding season ticket holders that can’t go. Are you here on the 21st? How about a day trip to Scotland’s 2nd city, Glasgow? We’re playing in a cup semi final vs Celtic. Plenty of tickets and atmosphere could be amazing ...

Hermit Crab
09-10-2017, 09:37 PM
Keep checking back on here every few days, there will be tickets come available.

JeMeSouviens
09-10-2017, 09:37 PM
You mean just head to the stadium the day of the match? Do you mean from the box office, or from scalpers?

No, the supporters club http://hibsclub.co.uk Drop them an email, you never know.

deepteeth
09-10-2017, 09:46 PM
I was over in Oregon for the eclipse in August. Fantastic, loved the coast as well.

Sadly the derby is sold out so the only way you’ll get tickets is finding season ticket holders that can’t go. Are you here on the 21st? How about a day trip to Scotland’s 2nd city, Glasgow? We’re playing in a cup semi final vs Celtic. Plenty of tickets and atmosphere could be amazing ...

Glad you enjoyed Oregon. I lived there for five years but recently relocated to Southern California. I definitely returned for the eclipse though.

I thought of the cup match, but we actually have hotel reservations in Islay that night, so doesn't work great with our schedule, *and* it's the same issue: Ticket sales are only open to those who have previously purchased a ticket.

deepteeth
09-10-2017, 09:48 PM
It's called football mate

You wouldn't be at least a little suspicious of an American using "football" over "soccer"? :)

deepteeth
09-10-2017, 09:48 PM
Keep checking back on here every few days, there will be tickets come available.

No, the supporters club http://hibsclub.co.uk Drop them an email, you never know.

Will try these, thanks

cabbageandribs1875
09-10-2017, 09:52 PM
watched a Portland game on Sky a few months back, quite a noisy lot :greengrin i do like their colours :wink:

JeMeSouviens
09-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Glad you enjoyed Oregon. I lived there for five years but recently relocated to Southern California. I definitely returned for the eclipse though.

I thought of the cup match, but we actually have hotel reservations in Islay that night, so doesn't work great with our schedule, *and* it's the same issue: Ticket sales are only open to those who have previously purchased a ticket.

Whisky and Hibs? You have the essentials of a Scotland trip nailed. :wink:

Anyone on Hibs database can buy 10 tickets for the cup game. So getting you tickets for that is no problem.

Sir David Gray
09-10-2017, 09:54 PM
Awesome, thank you. I will try that out if I can't line something up beforehand. Is there anywhere in particular that is a good place to wait?

If you're doing that, I would probably advise to head round to the main (west) stand and be there for the back of 6pm. I would expect anyone looking to sell tickets would be doing so in that sort of area.

LancashireHibby
09-10-2017, 09:58 PM
Echoing somewhat but hang around the Ticket Office/Reception on the night and you're likely to have people willing to sell spare tickets at face value. Worst thing to happen is you watch in a pub on Easter Road and join (hopefully) post match celebrations. Maybe tweet the club and a few of the players to publicise your trip - a bit of PR won't be any harm.

jonny
09-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Hello Hibs Fans!

I'm Mitch, an American who will be visiting your fair city & greater country in a couple of weeks to celebrate my recent engagement. I'm writing to ask if anyone could help me get two tickets for my fiancée and I for the Derby on 10/24. I am a huge fan of the Portland Timbers here in the US, and would love to experience Scottish soccer for the first time. I reached out to the club directly to see if they could help me get around the requirement to have purchased a ticket for a lower-level match, but after much pleading they said they couldn't help.

Why Hibs?

- Edinburgh is cool

What's in it for you?

- A beer at the match
- My eternal thanks
- The consolation of knowing that the USA is also on the verge of not qualifying for Russia

Hi Mitch, my kids and I are season ticket holders but can't make the match due to a foreign holiday.
Someone already has dibs on my season ticket but I'd be happy to upgrade 2 of the kids ones to adult tickets so you and Mrs Mitch can attend. I'd only be looking for the cost of the upgrade (maybe about £15 a ticket but I'll confirm).
Send me a private message with details of when you're going to be in Edinburgh and I'll see if I can get the tickets to you before I go away a week today, if not I might be able to organise a friend to meet you beforehand and give you the tickets.

deepteeth
09-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Hi Mitch, my kids and I are season ticket holders but can't make the match due to a foreign holiday.
Someone already has dibs on my season ticket but I'd be happy to upgrade 2 of the kids ones to adult tickets so you and Mrs Mitch can attend. I'd only be looking for the cost of the upgrade (maybe about £15 a ticket but I'll confirm).
Send me a private message with details of when you're going to be in Edinburgh and I'll see if I can get the tickets to you before I go away a week today, if not I might be able to organise a friend to meet you beforehand and give you the tickets.

Sent you a PM! Thanks

deepteeth
09-10-2017, 11:30 PM
watched a Portland game on Sky a few months back, quite a noisy lot :greengrin i do like their colours :wink:

Providence Park is an unbelievable atmosphere. The games during our successful MLS Cup run in 2015 were incredible—I am lucky enough to have witnessed both keepers taking penalties: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqL7LIu7qEI

Galahibby
09-10-2017, 11:33 PM
Send me a private message with details of when you're going to be in Edinburgh and I'll see if I can get the tickets to you before I go away a week today, if not I might be able to organise a friend to meet you beforehand and give you the tickets.Nice one [emoji106] Welcome to the Hibs family Mitch. Hope you are a lucky mascot :flag:

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

deepteeth
09-10-2017, 11:33 PM
Whisky and Hibs? You have the essentials of a Scotland trip nailed. :wink:

Anyone on Hibs database can buy 10 tickets for the cup game. So getting you tickets for that is no problem.

Thank you :) Also add to that some hiking through Loch Lomond!

Capt Mainwaring
10-10-2017, 12:01 AM

Great offer - well played fella 👍

Mitch - welcome to the Hibs family 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

Hi Heid Yin
10-10-2017, 01:19 AM
Sent you a PM! Thanks

Awww, what a happy story and ending.
It brought a tear to my glass eye!

Hi Heid Yin
10-10-2017, 01:20 AM

Fantastic gesture, Jonny.
Hats off to that man!

GreenLake
10-10-2017, 02:10 AM
I have a Hibs Season ticket but it is like a credit card and I don't know how I can gift tickets for individual matches. I could email you tickets for Galaxy, Lakers, Kings and Clippers, but Hibs not it seems.

Maybe someone on here can figure out how I can give you my seat. There might be a way I can use my season ticket account to buy a ticket. Again, I don't know how it works.

I live in LA but just had to have a Hibs season ticket. Let me know if your other offer falls through.

Lastly, First to Five Baby! :greengrin

theonlywayisup
10-10-2017, 03:46 AM
Hope you enjoy the game. It's going to be a good game with a great atmosphere. Hopefully a win for the good guys. GGTTH.

Hello Hibs Fans!

Why Hibs?

- Edinburgh is cool

What's in it for you?

- A beer at the match
- My eternal thanks

SRHibs
10-10-2017, 07:46 AM
I have a Hibs Season ticket but it is like a credit card and I don't know how I can gift tickets for individual matches. I could email you tickets for Galaxy, Lakers, Kings and Clippers, but Hibs not it seems.

Maybe someone on here can figure out how I can give you my seat. There might be a way I can use my season ticket account to buy a ticket. Again, I don't know how it works.

I live in LA but just had to have a Hibs season ticket. Let me know if your other offer falls through.

Phone the ticket office and they will print out a ticket ready for pickup.

Coults1875
10-10-2017, 07:51 AM

Google the Timbers Tetris Song!

LancashireHibby
10-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Thank you :) Also add to that some hiking through Loch Lomond!
Make sure you climb Calton Hill when you get to Edinburgh, purely for the view of Easter Road.

Itsnoteasy
10-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Google the Timbers Tetris Song!

Brilliant

147lothian
10-10-2017, 09:21 AM

Now there's a story with a happy ending, well done Jonny hats off to you, Mitch I was going to say head to the Hibs club before the game it would have been to have been good to have caught up for a beer and it would have been the most likely place to get tickets before Jonny's kind intervention but the Hibs club will be full and members only, anyway, welcome to the Hibs family nonetheless and enjoy your stay

One Day Soon
10-10-2017, 09:26 AM

A fine piece of Hibernian ambassadorial work there Jonny. Properly Hibs Class, well done.

Keith_M
10-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Great to hear you got tickets.

I just hope you're not too disappointed with the atmosphere, Hibs v Hearts games tend to be very tame affairs with most people just giving polite applause occasionally. It's all very British, you know...

:wink:

Johnny Clash
10-10-2017, 09:28 AM

Nice one mate. I’m sure if you emailed the ticket office then they’d be able to work something out.

I know it’s easy enough to simply release a ST seat back into the mix so another random hibee can then purchase a ticket. If you want someone specific to get your ST seat then I’m sure that’s doable too.

Scouse Hibee
10-10-2017, 03:40 PM
If this is genuinely an American then well done for helping him out.

Otherwise 10/10 to the OP for inventiveness on obtaining derby tickets ;-)

Magnifique
10-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Hello Hibs Fans!

Why Hibs?

- Edinburgh is cool

What's in it for you?

- A beer at the match
- My eternal thanks

Mitch

As a Hibby now living in Toronto i wont be able to go.

I am on the database as only left 18 months ago if you want i can order tickets, f still available) and find a way to get them to you

Are there any tickets left fellow hibbies?.

Hermit Crab
10-10-2017, 04:14 PM

:tee hee:

greenlex
10-10-2017, 04:15 PM

Cards have a barcode that scans at the turnstyle. Take a pihoto of the barcode send it to who you want to give the ticket to. They either print the photo for scanning or scan the photo on their phone at the turnstyle. No reason why that wouldn’t work. In fact I’ll try scanning a photo of mine on Saturday and see if it works.

Firestarter
10-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Mitch

As a Hibby now living in Toronto i wont be able to go.

I am on the database as only left 18 months ago if you want i can order tickets, f still available) and find a way to get them to you

Are there any tickets left fellow hibbies?.

No it's sold out.

deepteeth
10-10-2017, 04:41 PM

Boy I think my favorite soccer game has got to be the one I mentioned when the goalies both got to take PKs in the playoffs, that was awesome but even some games that end zero-zero are still so awesome if there are a lot of shots on frame or if the halftime show is interesting. No matter what my team wears such cool jerseys and cleats, and I will always go to their road games if they're within a 6 hour drive.

Convinced yet? ;)

deepteeth
10-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Looks like all is going well, and I have secured the tickets. I AM A HIBEE FOR LIFE. Thanks everyone for your help & support!

AZhibee
10-10-2017, 04:49 PM
You wouldn't be at least a little suspicious of an American using "football" over "soccer"? :)

We use "football" with fans, or euros, "soccer" with non fans...or at least I do.

jodjam
10-10-2017, 04:56 PM
When do you get to Edinburgh mate? I run my own private tour business and if it suits you and your fiancé I would love to give you both a private driving tour of the city on the Tuesday morning. Just a couple of hours to get a taste of Auld Reekie. No worries if you already have something sorted out

Vault Boy
10-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Boy I think my favorite soccer game has got to be the one I mentioned when the goalies both got to take PKs in the playoffs, that was awesome but even some games that end zero-zero are still so awesome if there are a lot of shots on frame or if the halftime show is interesting. No matter what my team wears such cool jerseys and cleats, and I will always go to their road games if they're within a 6 hour drive.

Convinced yet? ;)

Ahahaha, can we keep this fella? Edinburgh Hibernators are always on the lookout for support. :wink:

deepteeth
10-10-2017, 05:13 PM
When do you get to Edinburgh mate? I run my own private tour business and if it suits you and your fiancé I would love to give you both a private driving tour of the city on the Tuesday morning. Just a couple of hours to get a taste of Auld Reekie. No worries if you already have something sorted out

Ah we would love to, but Tuesday won't work out. We're actually meeting up with my parents Monday and Tuesday (23rd-24th) in Edinburgh, who are on a longer tour, and they've got something or another planned for us that morning as they are with a tour group.

IlDiavola
10-10-2017, 05:20 PM

I just hope you're not too disappointed with the atmosphere, Hibs v Hearts games tend to be very tame affairs with most people just giving polite applause occasionally. It's all very British, you know...

Tee hee

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

deepteeth
10-10-2017, 05:28 PM

Americans can be prim & proper too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKAIKAMPWt8

jodjam
10-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Ah we would love to, but Tuesday won't work out. We're actually meeting up with my parents Monday and Tuesday (23rd-24th) in Edinburgh, who are on a longer tour, and they've got something or another planned for us that morning as they are with a tour group.

No worries mate. Have a great time in Edinburgh and GGTTH

Callum7
10-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Our last game against the yams...

https://youtu.be/Rp-Qsp3jru4

HoboHarry
10-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Can I have the redhead with the purple clam bikini top thingy for Christmas please? I'm already stateside so there would be no export costs......

stuart-farquhar
10-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Sent you a PM! Thanks

Did you get my pm?

deepteeth
10-10-2017, 05:50 PM
Did you get my pm?
I didn't but it's possible I am not using it correctly. I think I got the tickets sorted though, with jonny's help!

Firestarter
10-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Looks like all is going well, and I have secured the tickets. I AM A HIBEE FOR LIFE. Thanks everyone for your help & support!

**** the Hearts.

bingo70
10-10-2017, 06:19 PM
I didn't but it's possible I am not using it correctly. I think I got the tickets sorted though, with jonny's help!

Hope you don't mind me asking but what's the atmosphere like at most MLS games these days?

I'm going to Disneyland in June and was thinking of taking the boy (he'll be 5 then) to an Orlando game but not sure if it's likely to be a bit ****?

I know that's nowhere near you but any thoughts on going to one of their games appreciated. (Likewise anyone else that's been)

stuart-farquhar
10-10-2017, 06:24 PM

Ok wasn't about tickets but fair enough.

Firestarter
10-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Ok wasn't about tickets but fair enough.

You offered him a castle viewed restaurant voucher for a venue in Gorgie eh?

stuart-farquhar
10-10-2017, 06:28 PM
You offered him a castle viewed restaurant voucher for a venue in Gorgie eh?

No but it's an idea!!

Jamesie
10-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Saw Portland Timbers v San Jose Earthquakes back in July 2003 - maybe you were at the game too! Bizarrely I wasn't the only person in attendance with a Hibs shirt on - a Japanese-American guy in the crowd had visited Edinburgh a couple of years earlier and was proudly displaying the Edinburgh version of the green and white!

PS. Portland is an amazing city - my favourite in the US. :-)

givescotlandfreedom
10-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Cards have a barcode that scans at the turnstyle. Take a pihoto of the barcode send it to who you want to give the ticket to. They either print the photo for scanning or scan the photo on their phone at the turnstyle. No reason why that wouldn’t work. In fact I’ll try scanning a photo of mine on Saturday and see if it works.
I unexpectedly got away from work in time for the Ayr United game this season and bought a print at home ticket on my phone. Just flashed the barcode off the email attachment and it worked fine.

givescotlandfreedom
10-10-2017, 06:59 PM

Russian Hibs Fan! There was a story

Hibs90
10-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Good to see people taking an interest and all, can't help but feel extremely salty that a tourist has managed to secure a derby ticket and here I am willing to sell myself to get one :greengrin

stuart-farquhar
10-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Russian Hibs Fan! There was a story

Well hope he's genuine!

deepteeth
10-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Hope you don't mind me asking but what's the atmosphere like at most MLS games these days?

I'm going to Disneyland in June and was thinking of taking the boy (he'll be 5 then) to an Orlando game but not sure if it's likely to be a bit ****?

I know that's nowhere near you but any thoughts on going to one of their games appreciated. (Likewise anyone else that's been)

Never been to the Orlando stadium, but I know it's supposed to be very beautiful and sparkling (at least by Florida standards). It probably won't be as raucous as some, but I know their games are well-attended. They didn't do so hot this year but in MLS it's anyone's guess whose year it will be next year.

We are talking Disney World (in Orlando) rather than Disneyland (in LA), right?

deepteeth
10-10-2017, 07:27 PM
Saw Portland Timbers v San Jose Earthquakes back in July 2003 - maybe you were at the game too! Bizarrely I wasn't the only person in attendance with a Hibs shirt on - a Japanese-American guy in the crowd had visited Edinburgh a couple of years earlier and was proudly displaying the Edinburgh version of the green and white!

PS. Portland is an amazing city - my favourite in the US. :-)

That slightly predates my time there, but I am jealous you got to witness the pre-MLS Timbers! It's an amazing place, but if you haven't been back since 03, be prepared for massive changes. I moved away in February of this year and the amount of development that has taken place in the last 8 months is staggering.

bingo70
10-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Never been to the Orlando stadium, but I know it's supposed to be very beautiful and sparkling (at least by Florida standards). It probably won't be as raucous as some, but I know their games are well-attended. They didn't do so hot this year but in MLS it's anyone's guess whose year it will be next year.

We are talking Disney World (in Orlando) rather than Disneyland (in LA), right?

Correct.

Thanks for the info. I love seeing foreign football stadiums so think I'll try and take in a game when I'm there.

Cheers

deepteeth
10-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Good to see people taking an interest and all, can't help but feel extremely salty that a tourist has managed to secure a derby ticket and here I am willing to sell myself to get one :greengrin

If I become drunk enough to endanger my marriage I will let you have her ticket

stuart-farquhar
10-10-2017, 07:43 PM
If I become drunk enough to endanger my marriage I will let you have her ticket

How about beer in Portland then?

stuart-farquhar
10-10-2017, 08:27 PM
How about beer in Portland then?

Sorry. I meant meet in Portland for a beer.

deepteeth
10-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Sorry. I meant meet in Portland for a beer.

Sadly I live in sunny southern California now, however I'm happy to meet for a beer if you're ever in that area!

GreenLake
10-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Phone the ticket office and they will print out a ticket ready for pickup.

That should work if they answer the phone and I can catch them open.

Nice one mate. I’m sure if you emailed the ticket office then they’d be able to work something out.

I know it’s easy enough to simply release a ST seat back into the mix so another random hibee can then purchase a ticket. If you want someone specific to get your ST seat then I’m sure that’s doable too.

I will definitely release mine for all games I can't attend which basically amounts to all of them.

I worry about that as the copied barcode could be used at every game then. If I ever get home for a match I'll have to be first in line at the turnstile to make sure my copied barcode isn't scanned in before me. :greengrin

Dav1986
10-10-2017, 11:26 PM

I just came back from Orlando and went to see their game against Dallas the day we played Celtic. Ticket cost $22 in their singing section. They didn't stop the whole game. Atmosphere was pretty good although the game was a bit poor. Got in with one of the supporters groups and can put you in touch with a couple of the guys closer to the time of you want? Definitely worth going along to imo. Feel free to pm if you want any other info on it!

Hibbyradge
11-10-2017, 12:13 AM

That was a very kind offer.

How are things with you these days?

monktonharp
11-10-2017, 02:17 AM
Can I have the redhead with the purple clam bikini top thingy for Christmas please? I'm already stateside so there would be no export costs......
liked her, but would settle for the trumpet or bugle. maybe a seniors thing lol

houstonhibbee
11-10-2017, 04:41 AM
That slightly predates my time there, but I am jealous you got to witness the pre-MLS Timbers! It's an amazing place, but if you haven't been back since 03, be prepared for massive changes. I moved away in February of this year and the amount of development that has taken place in the last 8 months is staggering.
I lived in Beaverton from 1999 -2003 and went to a few games pre MLS. Use to get a hardcore of around 7k at that time. I think Michael O'Neill was manager for a short time during that period?

sadtom
11-10-2017, 06:47 AM
Mitch maybe a good idea for you and your other half to swot up on the lyrics so you can join in once we hand out another sound beating to our unfortunate mutant neighbours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIvtEeJZK4

jodjam
11-10-2017, 07:35 AM
That was a very kind offer.

How are things with you these days?

Aye I'm good Dave. Been busiest season ever and looking forward to a break and getting to more Hibs games. Only managed to get last card in at club yesterday to keep h'cap. Hope York treating you well.

Keith_M
11-10-2017, 08:15 AM

I think he's already spoken for.

BlackpoolHibs called dibs first...

California-Hibs
11-10-2017, 09:37 AM
Mitch,

Northern California Hibee here. Glad to read you’re sorted for tickets, you’re in for quite the night and an experience that is completely different to what you’re used too. Having attended many MLS games (San Jose Earthquakes) the atmosphere, mindset, and I have to say standard, are a step above from here in the States.

I’m sure you’ll know most of the ins and outs differences (separate stands for sitting, roads blocked off after the match to stop fans clashing, the passion and importance of derbies in the UK as a whole etc).

I’m really curious of your experience bud (especially if/when we win, ooaft!). Give us a nice report on here of what your thoughts were. Hope you have a great trip. If you’re ever up here in the North (Sacramento) give me a PM and we can maybe get together for a pint and a match. Good choice with the Timbers btw, spot on colors!

California-Hibs
11-10-2017, 09:45 AM

GreenLake......if you’re ever feeling generous about emailing a Hibee a Kings ticket I will gladly take it off your hands my friend 😉

jonny
11-10-2017, 10:57 AM

I have 3 kids tickets, our friend from the states has dibs on 2 but I'm heading to the office today. Would you like me to upgrade the 3rd one for you? You can have the ticket for the price of an upgrade.
I'd have been releasing it back to the club otherwise.
I'll be heading in soon so if you're wanting it send me a pm with your details and I'll see how we can get it to you.

calumhibee1
11-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Correct.

Thanks for the info. I love seeing foreign football stadiums so think I'll try and take in a game when I'm there.

Cheers

It’s definitely worth going to an Orlando game. Totally different occasion to a British football match. A nice wee stadium and a lot of things they do you’ve got to look at and say that British football could learn from them although the weather certainly helps with the BBQs, food trucks, outdoor 5 a side pitches, tents for kids to play FIFA etc.

HoboHarry
11-10-2017, 12:29 PM
I think he's already spoken for.

BlackpoolHibs called dibs first...
Then I would challenge the brute to a duel to win that one ........:greengrin

deepteeth
11-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Mitch maybe a good idea for you and your other half to swot up on the lyrics so you can join in once we hand out another sound beating to our unfortunate mutant neighbours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIvtEeJZK4

Yes I will try to brush up on these & other chants! Thank you

deepteeth
11-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Mitch,

Northern California Hibee here. Glad to read you’re sorted for tickets, you’re in for quite the night and an experience that is completely different to what you’re used too. Having attended many MLS games (San Jose Earthquakes) the atmosphere, mindset, and I have to say standard, are a step above from here in the States.

I’m sure you’ll know most of the ins and outs differences (separate stands for sitting, roads blocked off after the match to stop fans clashing, the passion and importance of derbies in the UK as a whole etc).

I’m really curious of your experience bud (especially if/when we win, ooaft!). Give us a nice report on here of what your thoughts were. Hope you have a great trip. If you’re ever up here in the North (Sacramento) give me a PM and we can maybe get together for a pint and a match. Good choice with the Timbers btw, spot on colors!

If you haven't been up to a Timbers home game, you're in for quite the night and an experience that is completely different to what you’re used to in San Jose :) While we sadly don't have an official standing section with the seats removed, the Timbers Army takes up roughly 1/4 of the stadium and is de-facto standing only, unless you're at the very very top. It's nice to be able to sit for a minute when you first arrive, but my shins show evidence of banging against the seats during many Tetris dances.

I will report back, with photos even! Thank you for the well wishes

GreenLake
11-10-2017, 08:08 PM
GreenLake......if you’re ever feeling generous about emailing a Hibee a Kings ticket I will gladly take it off your hands my friend ��

Lol, I guess you mean the Sacramento Kings and not the LA Kings.

However, if you can get down here tomorrow I have two tickets for the Clippers vs the Sacramento Kings 7.30pm at Staples. I can give you the regular season game vs Clippers on 12/26/17 too. Unfortunately I already promised the Lakers vs Kings tickets to a barman who is a big Sacramento fan.

My tickets have Lexus Passes and one parking pass for Lot C

deepteeth
11-10-2017, 08:35 PM
Wow, I'm getting really excited after watching Hibs chants all day :thumbsup:. It's almost as if something extremely traumatic happened to me last night. As I learned earlier in this thread I am not permitted to exchange my hard-earned money for a modest drink inside the stadium. Where would be a good idea to grab a drink or three beforehand? In spite of my scotch tour, I'm more of a beer guy, as is the Mrs.

Firestarter
11-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Wow, I'm getting really excited after watching Hibs chants all day :thumbsup:. It's almost as if something extremely traumatic happened to me last night. As I learned earlier in this thread I am not permitted to exchange my hard-earned money for a modest drink inside the stadium. Where would be a good idea to grab a drink or three beforehand? In spite of my scotch tour, I'm more of a beer guy, as is the Mrs.

Deepteeth go and just say, one time "**** the Hearts"

Firestarter
11-10-2017, 08:40 PM
I have 3 kids tickets, our friend from the states has dibs on 2 but I'm heading to the office today. Would you like me to upgrade the 3rd one for you? You can have the ticket for the price of an upgrade.
I'll be heading in soon so if you're wanting it send me a pm with your details and I'll see how we can get it to you.

Another great gesture Jonny, enjoy the holiday.

1875STEVE
11-10-2017, 09:21 PM
YES!

"Anything to declare?"

"Yes, this chainsaw. I plan on bringing it to a well-attended soccer match!"

"..."

Then stay until we play Kilmarnock and you can throw it at Kris Boyd?!

California-Hibs
11-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Lol, I guess you mean the Sacramento Kings and not the LA Kings.

However, if you can get down here tomorrow I have two tickets for the Clippers vs the Sacramento Kings 7.30pm at Staples. I can give you the regular season game vs Clippers on 12/26/17 too. Unfortunately I already promised the Lakers vs Kings tickets to a barman who is a big Sacramento fan.

My tickets have Lexus Passes and one parking pass for Lot C

Ah, yes I was meaning the Sacramento Kings haha. Would love to take you up on the game on 12/26 but the chances are very slim. Thanks though, appreciate the offer! 👍

LancashireHibby
12-10-2017, 07:12 AM
Plenty of bars and pubs down Easter Road in the immediate vicinity of the stadium. Be warned that they will be PACKED but it's a worthwhile experience all the same. Pubs nearer to town around the Omni centre and the like may refuse admission to you if they have reason to believe you're going to the football (don't be alarmed, just part & parcel when committing the crime of being a football fan in the UK!) but you may get away with it if you just say you're an American tourist although naturally it won't be the same experience as the proper football pubs.

Johnny Clash
12-10-2017, 07:54 AM
Plenty of bars and pubs down Easter Road in the immediate vicinity of the stadium. Be warned that they will be PACKED but it's a worthwhile experience all the same. Pubs nearer to town around the Omni centre and the like may refuse admission to you if they have reason to believe you're going to the football (don't be alarmed, just part & parcel when committing the crime of being a football fan in the UK!) but you may get away with it if you just say you're an American tourist although naturally it won't be the same experience as the proper football pubs.

Harp and Castle on Leith Walk always a good option!

Think the Omni thing is more to do with a history of organised violence both inside and outside the centre to be honest.

Jones28
12-10-2017, 08:00 AM

If you're after quirky beer the brass monkey on leith walk is my usual spot!

deepteeth
12-10-2017, 03:44 PM
Plenty of bars and pubs down Easter Road in the immediate vicinity of the stadium. Be warned that they will be PACKED but it's a worthwhile experience all the same.

Thank you. I like packed. We'll have plenty of time on other evenings to check out the bars in the old town as that's where we're staying.

Harp and Castle on Leith Walk always a good option!

Added to my list!

If you're after quirky beer the brass monkey on leith walk is my usual spot!

Thank you, added to my list.

Hibs90
12-10-2017, 03:49 PM

I am sorted now but thanks for your offer anyway :thumbsup:

jonny
12-10-2017, 04:24 PM
I am sorted now but thanks for your offer anyway :thumbsup:

No probs mate. Always happy to help out a good Hibby where possible. Enjoy the game, I'll be sitting on a plane for the duration - have it on record though so I'll tell the taxi driver not to mention the football on the route home!

Callum7
24-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Well deepteeth, how did you enjoy that?:hibees

Callyballybe
24-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Yep, hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. 👍💚💚

murray26
25-10-2017, 06:51 AM
Did this lad end up definitely getting a ticket.. it would be nice to hear what he thought of the derby experience.

jonny
25-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Did this lad end up definitely getting a ticket.. it would be nice to hear what he thought of the derby experience.

Yeah, he got tickets. Unfortunately his Mrs was unwell so he went himself. He was next to my old man (as per my ST). Said at the time he was very impressed. No doubt Mitch will be on soon with a wee summary of how he got on.

Steve-O
27-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Come on deepteeth! We want a full review on how this was the greatest experience you’ve ever had!

monktonharp
27-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Come on deepteeth! We want a full review on how this was the greatest experience you’ve ever had!I am sure he was impressed although it takes 2 teams to play Football, to make it a match.:wink:

Hibbyradge
27-10-2017, 10:41 PM
Anyone else think he was a yam imposter?

stuart-farquhar
27-10-2017, 10:53 PM

Mmmmmm. Certainly a bit odd.

Wilson
27-10-2017, 10:55 PM

Nah, he had a girlfriend.

Callum7
27-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Nah, he had a girlfriend.

How do you know it wasn’t his sister?

tanfield
27-10-2017, 11:14 PM
How do you know it wasn’t his sister?

Only on Hibs.net 🤡

monktonharp
27-10-2017, 11:20 PM
How do you know it wasn’t his sister?could be his mum, if there's only 13 years between them . gorgie thing

theonlywayisup
28-10-2017, 07:39 AM

That's what I was thinking too

houstonhibbee
28-10-2017, 07:47 AM
That's what I was thinking too
I lived in Portland for several years and from his posts his knowledge of the timbers seemed to me to make him genuine. I am disappointed he hasn't responded yet though
i woukd have thought that after all the generosity he would have reported straight after on his experience so definitely a mystery

madsen5
30-10-2017, 02:51 PM
I lived in Portland for several years and from his posts his knowledge of the timbers seemed to me to make him genuine. I am disappointed he hasn't responded yet though
i woukd have thought that after all the generosity he would have reported straight after on his experience so definitely a mystery

Very suspicious.

Jones28
30-10-2017, 02:56 PM

He's on holiday, I'm sure he will provide full and generous feedback when he returns to the states.

bawheid
30-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Nobody ever complains when I don’t post for a while. 😭

JohnMcM
30-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Nobody ever complains when I don’t post for a while. 😭

:hug:

deepteeth
06-11-2017, 09:09 PM
He's on holiday, I'm sure he will provide full and generous feedback when he returns to the states.

We have a winner!

Edinburgh was actually just the first stop on a longer tour. As I only had my phone with me, and as this forum is a disaster to use on mobile, I thought I'd wait until I was back safely for an update.

STORY TIME

So I'd spent the day with my fiancée and parents doing some fun touristy things, including a nice view of Easter Road from Calton Hill. We decided on a very early dinner of fish & chips (I know, I know) around 4 pm and bid farewells to the parents, who were leaving early the next morning to continue their tour.

Stop back at the hotel around 5 and my fiancée is absolutely puking her brains out, fully moaning while laying on the floor of the bathroom. Excellent fish & chips indeed. Like a good fiancé I'm there to hold her hair back, get her water, etc. Also like a good fiancé I stayed as long as I could while judging if Hibs Hearts was really worth abandoning my one true love to the toilet alone... I ultimately decided it was, with her woozy blessing, after some deliberation :)

I hopped in a cab just before kickoff, stepped out right to my gate, scanned my ticket... and heard quite the roar. Yes, Murray had been waiting for my (sadly completely sober at this point) arrival at Easter Road to open the scoring.

Finally made my way to my seat, did my best job at chanting HIbees HIbees, contained my laughter at some extremely colorful language sent the ref's way, and even took a photo at the half. I was definitely impressed with the physicality and the energy, it was an amazing time.

Thank you all (especially Jonny!) for welcoming me into your family, even if for a short time. Here is that photo, complete with a Timbers Army scarf that no one wanted to trade for

https://i.imgur.com/RYo3nHI.jpg

Mr White
06-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Mmmmmm. Certainly a bit odd.

Coming from the author of the "Spouse behaviour. Opinions Wanted" thread in the dug-out that's quite a statement :greengrin

Hibbyradge
06-11-2017, 09:19 PM
We have a winner!

Edinburgh was actually just the first stop on a longer tour. As I only had my phone with me, and as this forum is a disaster to use on mobile, I thought I'd wait until I was back safely for an update.

STORY TIME

So I'd spent the day with my fiancée and parents doing some fun touristy things, including a nice view of Easter Road from Calton Hill. We decided on a very early dinner of fish & chips (I know, I know) around 4 pm and bid farewells to the parents, who were leaving early the next morning to continue their tour.

Stop back at the hotel around 5 and my fiancée is absolutely puking her brains out, fully moaning while laying on the floor of the bathroom. Excellent fish & chips indeed. Like a good fiancé I'm there to hold her hair back, get her water, etc. Also like a good fiancé I stayed as long as I could while judging if Hibs Hearts was really worth abandoning my one true love to the toilet alone... I ultimately decided it was, with her woozy blessing, after some deliberation :)

I hopped in a cab just before kickoff, stepped out right to my gate, scanned my ticket... and heard quite the roar. Yes, Murray had been waiting for my (sadly completely sober at this point) arrival at Easter Road to open the scoring.

Finally made my way to my seat, did my best job at chanting HIbees HIbees, contained my laughter at some extremely colorful language sent the ref's way, and even took a photo at the half. I was definitely impressed with the physicality and the energy, it was an amazing time.

Thank you all (especially Jonny!) for welcoming me into your family, even if for a short time. Here is that photo, complete with a Timbers Army scarf that no one wanted to trade for

Thanks for that. I'm relieved.

Callum7
06-11-2017, 09:21 PM
H
We have a winner!

STORY TIME

Glad you enjoyed your time here. You also missed the display. http://i68.tinypic.com/5w039v.jpg

deepteeth
06-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Thanks for that. I'm relieved.

Trust in strangers on the internet never hurt anyone! Wait...

deepteeth
06-11-2017, 09:41 PM
H

Glad you enjoyed your time here. You also missed the display. http://i68.tinypic.com/5w039v.jpg

Very cool. Here is one from the Timbers game last night (in which they embarrassingly exited the playoffs)

https://twitter.com/shawnlevy/status/927426297801801728

Hibbyradge
06-11-2017, 09:42 PM
Trust in strangers on the internet never hurt anyone! Wait...

Ha ha.

Have you read the Irvine Jambo thread and the links provided.

It's worth the time investment. Mind-blowing.

JeMeSouviens
06-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Very cool. Here is one from the Timbers game last night (in which they embarrassingly exited the playoffs)

https://twitter.com/shawnlevy/status/927426297801801728

Lewis & Clark searching for a decent game in a barren desert of gridiron. :rolleyes:

California-Hibs
07-11-2017, 01:49 AM
We have a winner!

STORY TIME

Can’t believe you missed the pre match display and all the craziness during the only game goal! Glad you had a good time though

andybev1
07-11-2017, 02:47 AM
Could do with us having the private investor who is putting $50m into your team's stadium - if the name Romanov comes up run a mile :) and a waiting ;ist of 13,000 for season tickets (impressive) for a popukation of 640,000.

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/04/26/portland-timbers-providence-park-stadium-renovation

One of MLS's most raucous atmospheres is getting an upgrade.
The Portland Timbers announced Wednesday that the club is adding 4,000 seats to Providence Park (http://www.timbers.com/post/2017/04/26/soccer-cathedral-grows-providence-park-add-approximately-4000-new-seats-modern) as part of a privately funded $50 million renovation. The additions should be complete in time for the 2019 or 2020 seasons, with renovations taking place during two future off-seasons, according to the club's announcement.
The Timbers shouldn't have a problem filling the new seats, given that they have a waitlist of over 13,000 for season tickets, according to SI's Grant Wahl (https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/03/03/2017-mls-ambition-rankings). The club has sold out every regular season and playoff match at home since joining MLS in 2011.

Good times ahead for your club eh!

California-Hibs
07-11-2017, 03:26 AM
Could do with us having the private investor who is putting $50m into your team's stadium - if the name Romanov comes up run a mile :) and a waiting ;ist of 13,000 for season tickets (impressive) for a popukation of 640,000.

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/04/26/portland-timbers-providence-park-stadium-renovation

The Portland Timbers announced Wednesday that the club is adding 4,000 seats to Providence Park (http://www.timbers.com/post/2017/04/26/soccer-cathedral-grows-providence-park-add-approximately-4000-new-seats-modern) as part of a privately funded $50 million renovation. The additions should be complete in time for the 2019 or 2020 seasons, with renovations taking place during two future off-seasons, according to the club's announcement.
The Timbers shouldn't have a problem filling the new seats, given that they have a waitlist of over 13,000 for season tickets, according to SI's Grant Wahl (https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/03/03/2017-mls-ambition-rankings). The club has sold out every regular season and playoff match at home since joining MLS in 2011.

Yeah, Americans seem to buy into things a lot easier than fans in the UK. It’s mind blowing at times though, the amount they spend on tickets for what has to be said, not the greatest quality, truly would have a lot of you stunned. I do reports for a team called Sacramento Republic is the ‘USL’ division, which is bellow MLS (don’t don’t do promotion/relegation in the States which is dumb). Anyway, the standard of USL for example is a very hard watch, I genuinely think some Scottish League 2 sides would give them a run. Anyway, they charge $40 for entry! That’s 30 pounds. You imagine we were charged 30 pound every week for a Hibs game! There would be riots! They pay it though without a care.

I go along sometimes for Sacramento Kings (NBA basketball) games and those prices are even crazier, ranging up to the thousands! And that’s even for pre season games. Regular lower prices are around $50 and that’s for high up view seats.

San Jose, which is an MLS team, charge $45 for their cheapest tickets (35 pounds) and every time I’ve went, the quality from both home team and away opposition is quality that should be demanding no where near the price! But guess what.....the Americans pay it! I’ve never understood it. Maybe because the whole MLS scene is still fairly new and when they get far more established things may change and crows may fall? Who knows

GreenLake
07-11-2017, 04:13 AM
Yeah, Americans seem to buy into things a lot easier than fans in the UK. It’s mind blowing at times though, the amount they spend on tickets for what has to be said, not the greatest quality, truly would have a lot of you stunned. I do reports for a team called Sacramento Republic is the ‘USL’ division, which is bellow MLS (don’t don’t do promotion/relegation in the States which is dumb). Anyway, the standard of USL for example is a very hard watch, I genuinely think some Scottish League 2 sides would give them a run. Anyway, they charge $40 for entry! That’s 30 pounds. You imagine we were charged 30 pound every week for a Hibs game! There would be riots! They pay it though without a care.

I go along sometimes for Sacramento Kings (NBA basketball) games and those prices are even crazier, ranging up to the thousands! And that’s even for pre season games. Regular lower prices are around $50 and that’s for high up view seats.

San Jose, which is an MLS team, charge $45 for their cheapest tickets (35 pounds) and every time I’ve went, the quality from both home team and away opposition is quality that should be demanding no where near the price! But guess what.....the Americans pay it! I’ve never understood it. Maybe because the whole MLS scene is still fairly new and when they get far more established things may change and crows may fall? Who knows

I am not sure the quality is that bad, even with a lot of local lads in the teams. MLS does not permit fouling or kicking and hacking from the back so you see a game with the ball a lot more passed about. I have been to at least 80 MLS games and find them entertaining but it sure helps to be able to sit in the stadium and watch with a few beers. I have not been to the Avaya stadium to see the Earthquakes which I think must be way better than the booze restricted Stanford stadium where I saw them once.

The Kings vs Clippers tickets for 26th Dec are gone to barman in the StubHub Champions Lounge who is a Kings fan but I might have an extra Lakers vs Kings ticket for Tuesday Jan 9th.

California-Hibs
07-11-2017, 07:20 AM
I am not sure the quality is that bad, even with a lot of local lads in the teams. MLS does not permit fouling or kicking and hacking from the back so you see a game with the ball a lot more passed about. I have been to at least 80 MLS games and find them entertaining but it sure helps to be able to sit in the stadium and watch with a few beers. I have not been to the Avaya stadium to see the Earthquakes which I think must be way better than the booze restricted Stanford stadium where I saw them once.

The Kings vs Clippers tickets for 26th Dec are gone to barman in the StubHub Champions Lounge who is a Kings fan but I might have an extra Lakers vs Kings ticket for Tuesday Jan 9th.

I shouldn’t say the MLS standard is terrible, I just think in relation to the ticket prices it is. I genuinely believe our SPL has a better standard of game and at a much lower cost (but as we know, we still believe it should be even lower).

I definitely agree with how nice it is though being able to have a beer inside the stadium, definitely adds to a more enjoyable experience and would maybe put a few more bums on seats back home if we could do this. UK fans vs American fans are completely different though. With it being not quite as intense over here in the States when your team loses/things aren’t going your way and fans generally mixing, stack that against what things are like in a UK football match and a loss can ruin a weekend/poor decision cause a mouthful of over the top rebel’s and blood levels going dangerously high etc. Beer aside I’d never give up what we have for the game back home vs how it is here. Very happy clappy, chatty while not really watching the game much etc. in my experience observing people at games anyway.

Sacramento Republic just had a very poor season in relation to previous years. Home loss after home loss. Booing at the end? Nope. Frustration in the slightest from the stands? Nope. Criticism is like it’s not allowed. I’ve done it on their Facebook page and been shot down. It’s more of a social gathering here and very relaxed. Which don’t get me wrong, might appeal to lots, but not me. Give me a Scottish football match for passion and a bit better quality, any day of the week.

Envious of the beer though.

I’ll let you know about the 9th. Appreciate that.

California-Hibs
07-11-2017, 07:45 AM
Incase you haven’t saw it yet Deepteeth 👌

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohhwodvDYPXJgzUQ0/giphy.gif

stuart-farquhar
07-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Incase you haven’t saw it yet Deepteeth 👌

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohhwodvDYPXJgzUQ0/giphy.gif

In my humble opinion Hibs would win the MLS cup.

Hibernia&Alba
07-11-2017, 08:04 AM
I hope those who had suspicions our American friend mightn't be on the level will be big enough to apologise. :agree:

California-Hibs
07-11-2017, 08:06 AM
In my humble opinion Hibs would win the MLS cup.

Of course we would. The interesting thing over here is a lot of people think that the players are on incredibley high wages but they’re really not, a lot of them are on lower cash than SPL players!

You have your Pirlo’s, David Villa’s etc who are of course in a very pretty penny but then amongst them you have guys on very low pay. Hence the quality not being quite so great. When I saw a list of what players are on over here (they post this information) I was very surprised. I am shocked that there isn’t (or maybe there is) serious animosity amongst the average joes in many of the teams and what they’re on compared to a few teams who have got the top stars (Lampard and Gerard when they were here etc)

Not sure how many remember this but we had a guy on trail a few seasons back called ‘Jack Mcbean’ from MLS side LA Galaxy. He was deemed not good enough by Stubbs (for the Scottish Championship mind) and was sent back to LA. Last season he played 20 games scoring 2 and was absolutely garbage, yet a fairly regular starter. He’s on $1.4k a week which translates to just 1k British pounds. Gerard was on...... 145k a week!

surreyhibbie
07-11-2017, 08:42 AM
Of course we would. The interesting thing over here is a lot of people think that the players are on incredibley high wages but they’re really not, a lot of them are on lower cash than SPL players!

You have your Pirlo’s, David Villa’s etc who are of course in a very pretty penny but then amongst them you have guys on very low pay. Hence the quality not being quite so great. When I saw a list of what players are on over here (they post this information) I was very surprised. I am shocked that there isn’t (or maybe there is) serious animosity amongst the average joes in many of the teams and what they’re on compared to a few teams who have got the top stars (Lampard and Gerard when they were here etc)

Not sure how many remember this but we had a guy on trail a few seasons back called ‘Jack Mcbean’ from MLS side LA Galaxy. He was deemed not good enough by Stubbs (for the Scottish Championship mind) and was sent back to LA. Last season he played 20 games scoring 2 and was absolutely garbage, yet a fairly regular starter. He’s on $1.4k a week which translates to just 1k British pounds. Gerard was on...... 145k a week!

I was chatting to a barman in New York last week about this, he pointed out that Pirlo was on about 5 million dollars a year, and some of his team mates had to have second jobs to survive.

Only when they start paying fairer wages to the other players will standards improve, it seems.

Onceinawhile
07-11-2017, 08:47 AM
I was chatting to a barman in New York last week about this, he pointed out that Pirlo was on about 5 million dollars a year, and some of his team mates had to have second jobs to survive.

Only when they start paying fairer wages to the other players will standards improve, it seems.

I read not that long ago that one of Beckham's teammates was also his poolboy as he needed the second job to survive.

Clerie Green
07-11-2017, 08:49 AM
Did anyone ask deepteeth where he bought his fish and chips ?:hibees:confused:

GreenLake
07-11-2017, 11:07 AM

His dad is a nice guy so I won't comment. :greengrin

The Galaxy had a belief that they could replace experienced guys with their crop of youngsters from the second team. They hired the manager of the second team as a replacement for Bruce Arena and he was picking his own lads he had developed. It was a disaster.

It will be interesting to see who they sign next year considering LAFC will enter the fray as the second Los Angeles MLS franchise. LAFC will want to knock the Galaxy off their perch. I have season tickets for both stadiums and will enjoy watching the derby games as a neutral wearing my Hibs top.

LA Galaxy have some of the cheapest season ticket prices I have seen.

brog
07-11-2017, 11:50 AM
I enjoy threads like this & I'm glad our friend from the USA was courteous enough to provide us with a fine & detailed account of his visit. Haste Ye Back!

andybev1
07-11-2017, 11:54 AM

Mad prices for a sport that is not on the map re. national sports.

So who pockets the money if it does not go into players wages, by and large. Is there shareholders profits to be paid or does the money go into the club infrastructure?

deepteeth
07-11-2017, 12:44 PM

Yes indeed! I am on said season ticket holder waitlist, and will probably be for at least the next five years, even after the expansion. It does get you first crack at individual tickets, so there's something. I'm actually pretty happy it's privately funded, the USA has some real problems with sports (*cough*NFL*cough*) dumping stadium bill on local governments while they pocket the insane profits.

Not going to reply to everyone, though I certainly have lots to say about each facet of MLS. One thing on pricing: $30-40 is absolutely on the low end for a sporting event here. NFL tickets are the absolute worst—easily can cost $150-200 for seats in the nosebleeds. I think that's the main factor in the pricing.

It's not just a lack of pro-rel that is stifling competition in MLS, it's also the "Single Entity" structure (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2339627-mls-single-entity-structure-is-the-biggest-obstacle-for-the-league) and lack of player free agency that really hurt us. For an ostensibly capitalist country, we have so many anti-competitive institutions.

CyberSauzee
07-11-2017, 01:31 PM
On the subject of the MLS, I recall SJM had a trial there (Houston?) before he joined us. Thankfully his agent made him see sense.

CallumLaidlaw
07-11-2017, 02:42 PM
On the subject of the MLS, I recall SJM had a trial there (Houston?) before he joined us. Thankfully his agent made him see sense.

Alan Stubbs apparently had a LOT to do with changing his mind.