PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Slovenia v Scotland

Pages : 1 [2]

lucky
08-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Time to start playing young Scots and give them a chance to shine. Really disappointing but as others have said the draw against Lithuania cost Scotland

Zazu62
08-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Bannan and Phillips. They both played on Thursday ffs freshen the team up play the younger boys. Can't believe SJM never got a chance

SteveHFC
08-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Same old ****ing story.

Strachan must resign.

Kojock
Glorious failure or same old 5h1te

easty
Anya for Martin was an arse of a decision by Strachan.

We needed to win. They score to level it up...we immediately go less attacking with that subby?? Then we're punting balls up the park to nae target man. They score again and eventually he realises we need goals.

Persisted with Fletcher, Bannan and McCarthur for far too long. Needed someone to drive us forward no three boys whose first thought was to turn back towards our own goal.

What goes through his heid? Get him oot. McGhee can bolt with him.

Sir David Gray
08-10-2017, 06:01 PM
Slovakia deserve the play off spot anyway.

They are on a different level compared to ourselves.

Can't see Slovakia qualifying for the play offs. I think they'll be the worst runner up.

SaulGoodman
08-10-2017, 06:01 PM
The only thing Craig Gordon's caught in his life is that right hand from Dean Shiels

neil7908
08-10-2017, 06:02 PM
My gut says Strachan should go but as another poster mentioned, who takes over?

Genuinely though, not just 'anyone' or 'my nan'.

If we could replicate our results from the last 5 games we'd have coasted this group.

It's the away defeat to Slovakia, draw with Lithuania and late goal lost to England that have done us.

Everyone's upset at the moment and the manager has to carry that but we're not getting Fergie out of retirement so who else?

18Hibee75
08-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Craig Gordon at fault for this, more than any substitution or team selection. No heart, frightened of his own shadow.

If he'd come for that cross against England, a draw tonight despite his performance in Slovenia would still have been enough.If we're being like that, you could blame armstrong for not blootering the ball into row Z against England.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Tyler Durden
08-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Baffling when players don't really seem up for this type of game - no sharpness at all.

If some were fatigued then the management should've picked a team to inject some energy. Strachan really did make some bizarre selections over the campaign

easty
08-10-2017, 06:04 PM

If we could replicate our results from the last 5 games we'd have coasted this group.

It's the away defeat to Slovakia, draw with Lithuania and late goal lost to England that have done us.

Everyone's upset at the moment and the manager has to carry that but we're not getting Fergie out of retirement so who else?

You dinnae persist with failure just because a replacement isn't immediately apparent.

theonlywayisup
Strachan must resign.

Who would you replace him with?

Thecat23

See this is our issue. If you were piss poor in work would the manager say sorry your not sacked no one is out there who can do it. Look abroad ffs. Just because it failed once doesn’t mean it will again. In fact I’d take Joe Bloggs off the street before that ginger twat.

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2017, 06:05 PM
If we're being like that, you could blame armstrong for not blootering the ball into row Z against England.

forgot all about that, good point

DarlingtonHibee
I'm no football coach, but there equaliser at 1-1 looks a joke.

cleanyman
Hopefully Gordon's last game as well

Hibernian Verse
08-10-2017, 06:06 PM
See this is our issue. If you were piss poor in work would the manager say sorry your not sacked no one is out there who can do it. Look abroad ffs. Just because it failed once doesn’t mean it will again. In fact I’d take Joe Bloggs off the street before that ginger twat.We're all angry but no need to bring his hair colour into play.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SteveHFC
08-10-2017, 06:07 PM

Get a top coach in by offering more money.

hfc rd
Agree with many on here that Strachan has to resign now. Cannot believe how the likes of McGregor & McGinn never got a chance when they have been playing regularly for their clubs and playing excellently at the same time.

Then again, which decent manager will we get that will even be remotely interested? Ancelloti? Klinsmann?

Will end up with Moyes or McGhee 😒

bingo70

It's an interesting one but ultimately I think anyone that people would know would be out of our price range.

Klinsman, the Dutch boy that took them to the WC final or the Swedish guy that did well with Iceland would be my shout.

It'll probably go to Paul Lambert though.

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2017, 06:09 PM
We're all angry but no need to bring his hair colour into play.

:agree:

neil7908
08-10-2017, 06:10 PM
You dinnae persist with failure just because a replacement isn't immediately apparent.

We're actually getting better though. It doesn't feel like it after tonight but our last 5 results have been good.

eastmainsmsh
08-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Mcleish for me

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2017, 06:11 PM
keep gogs on, on two conditions

he gives youth a chance in the next tournament....and he puts subs on earlier in games :)

18Hibee75
08-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Who would you replace him with?Would genuinely think about approaching Derek McCinnes. He's young, maybe too young, but we need to rebuild, for too f****** long we have accepted failure. There aren't many stand out names that I feel would do well for Scotland. Could always ask Sir Alex if he wants to come out of retirement...

Diclonius
08-10-2017, 06:15 PM
It's an interesting one but ultimately I think anyone that people would know would be out of our price range.

Klinsman, the Dutch boy that took them to the WC final or the Swedish guy that did well with Iceland would be my shout.

It'll probably go to Paul Lambert though.

It'll be Lambert or Moyes. A dour, defensive yes man looking for work.

superbam
08-10-2017, 06:15 PM
somebody said we would be in the play offs if we played to our strengths. bang on...how we can expect to win a game away from home when we dont have a player in midfield to move the ball forward with pace is a mystery. both those players remained on the bench tonight. lets get a manager in that can get the best out of our gifted attacking players, strachan was even slow to give griffiths a shot FFS

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 06:22 PM
We're actually getting better though. It doesn't feel like it after tonight but our last 5 results have been good.

We got better until Strachan reverted to type the last two games. He needs to go and someone with fresh ideas to come in. He will be loyal to the same old group next time around and we have to make the Euros!

Pete
08-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Can't see Slovakia qualifying for the play offs. I think they'll be the worst runner up.

How ironic would that be?

Looks like Greece are safe and if anyone wins between Ukraine and Croatia, they will qualify ahead of Slovakia.

Depressingly, all four of them would probably wipe the floor with us.

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 06:24 PM
keep gogs on, on two conditions

he gives youth a chance in the next tournament....and he puts subs on earlier in games :)

He won't do either he's arrogant and will do it his and McGhee way.

The Spaceman
08-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Someone like McInnes would be good - long term thinking and development...he won't leave Aberdeen for Scotland though.

Painful, but unfortunately fully expected. Do feel like we have a good crop of young players and its the old ones who are costing us just now, future will be brighter for us I'm sure.

yonder1875
08-10-2017, 06:29 PM
We've got good players. Imo, better than Northern Ireland and Ireland. I think we need a change in the management as ultimately, there's been a catalogue of decisions made by Strachan that have cost us - who do we turn to, though.

inglisavhibs
08-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Gordon not at fault, Fletcher gave away the free kick and lost his man. Not sure how Phillips is still on the park as he's contributed nothing
he was at fault, his starting position should be around 3 yards out, from there he can threaten the cross.

Nakedmanoncrack
Truth is our players are very poor, we only had one player on the Park with any ability tonight, a team of at best ordinary grafters is not going to do anything at this level. Amazing we got a draw really considering how much better in every way they (another poor team) were.

Pretty Boy
Michael Stewart spoke well and passionately on the radio.

Bad formations, bad tactics, bad selections and a bias towards the English Championship over the best players in our own league early in the campaign cost us.

It was only 'glorious failure' because we almost dug ourselves a hole at the very end. The Lithuania home game and, to a lesser extent, the Slovakia away game were the real killers.

bingo70
08-10-2017, 06:33 PM
It'll be Lambert or Moyes. A dour, defensive yes man looking for work.

Correct.

I've mentioned a few names in a previous post but I suspect the right man for the job could be someone I've never heard of. A good young up and coming coach or maybe an older head that's working as a director of football somewhere.

18Hibee75
08-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Someone like McInnes would be good - long term thinking and development...he won't leave Aberdeen for Scotland though.

Painful, but unfortunately fully expected. Do feel like we have a good crop of young players and its the old ones who are costing us just now, future will be brighter for us I'm sure.Spot on. We've actually got a few good players, some young and some in their prime. Armstrong, Griffiths, McGregor, McGinn, Fraser, Burke,Tierney, Robertson, and some outsiders like Ryan Christie, Paul Hanlon, Kenny McLean, Jason Cummings, Mackay-Steven etc...

ekhibee
08-10-2017, 06:38 PM
I think Strachan should go, but I do think there's been a slight improvement. IMO this was a harder group than the one we had for the Euros, so the team in the latter part of the campaign have performed better. But he was the manager when we failed to qualify for the Euros, he stubbornly refused to play inform players, sticking with his favourites instead, and some of the earlier preformances were abject.

Borderhibbie76
08-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Strachan has to go surely?? 3 failed campaigns to qualify he doesn't deserve a 4th attempt...get him and his English lower league brigade to f*** imo

Colr
08-10-2017, 06:40 PM
We play as a team well as ever but lack 2 or 3 world class players we need ti make it onto the big stage.

Oh, well! When’s the draw for the Euro qualifiers.

Hiber-nation
08-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Just saw the post match interview - usual condescending pish.

Paisley Hibby
08-10-2017, 06:42 PM
We've got good players. Imo, better than Northern Ireland and Ireland. I think we need a change in the management as ultimately, there's been a catalogue of decisions made by Strachan that have cost us - who do we turn to, though.

Exactly. Strachan has just one job - manage Scotland to qualify for the 2 major tournaments. He's had 2 chances to do that and failed twice. So he has to go.

Humber Hibby
08-10-2017, 06:45 PM
See this is our issue. If you were piss poor in work would the manager say sorry your not sacked no one is out there who can do it. Look abroad ffs. Just because it failed once doesn’t mean it will again. In fact I’d take Joe Bloggs off the street before that ginger twat.
I'm angry we did not qualify. But you have made me more angry you plumb, the colour of his hair has **** all to do with it. I suppose your some sort of perfect specimen?

Pete
08-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Ach, half of them are English anyway.

They probably only got a game because they’ve been here on holiday once.

Pretty Boy
08-10-2017, 06:55 PM
We play as a team well as ever but lack 2 or 3 world class players we need ti make it onto the big stage.

Oh, well! When’s the draw for the Euro qualifiers.

Northern Ireland managed it at the last Euros and may well end up in Russia yet.

SideBurns
08-10-2017, 06:56 PM
'Glorious failure' has become the classic Scottish fitba oxymoron and of course isn't exclusive to Strachan's tenure. However, any manager who keeps Matt Phillips on the park for 180 minutes has lost my confidence - I can't think of a single positive contribution he made in either of the games, and if I was McGinn or McGregor I'd be gutted sitting on the bench watching him occupying a jersey instead of me.

MrSmith
08-10-2017, 06:57 PM
Why do some blame Strachan when clearly the janitors of our game (SFA) have systematically destroyed all competition by supporting the Rangers in their cheating? Clearly our game is p@sh due to the janitors interference in regards to sporting integrity.

Nakedmanoncrack
08-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Why do some blame Strachan when clearly the janitors of our game (SFA) have systematically destroyed all competition by supporting the Rangers in their cheating? Clearly our game is p@sh due to the janitors interference in regards to sporting integrity.

Now, now time to move on.

Betty Boop
08-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Strachan said we're too wee.

MrSmith
08-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Now, now time to move on.

I am, just sayin like 👍

LaMotta
08-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Strachan has to go surely?? 3 failed campaigns to qualify he doesn't deserve a 4th attempt...get him and his English lower league brigade to f*** imo

2 failed campaigns.

green day
08-10-2017, 07:05 PM
2 failed campaigns.

That, and the fact he can't spot s ***** midfield means GTF.

steakbake
08-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Gutted.

No doubt there'll be plenty folks piling in to say we're ***** but I can't fault the effort.

euro Hibby
08-10-2017, 07:17 PM
The genetic factor is a strange one. I guess we are just pish at football or great at fallling at the last hurdle. Will be great to get back to league football.
Neil lennon for Scotland :-)

Pretty Boy
08-10-2017, 07:20 PM

I wonder if there's ever been a more Scottish comment uttered when it comes to football?

Nothing to do with bringing a guy off the bench who has barely kicked a ball for Derby all season when he has a guy with Champions League experience kicking his heels?

weecounty hibby
08-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Phillips and McArthur could have been hooked at anytime. Phillips was poor again and MacArthur kept losing the ball. At one point he won a tackle on the edge of our box and the commentator said he had "rescued the situation" what he failed to mention was that he had given the ball away in the first place. Bannon was ok but looked knackered with 25 to go. Fletcher was ok but missed the easiest chance he will ever get and lost his man for the equaliser. Thought the fullbacks were fine. CHs ok but I think we could be better at set pieces. Gordon needs to be replaced. Commentators again saying he couldn't come for the cross for the 1st goal. Erm, why not? A header from inside the 6 yard box. Another goal lost from about 3 yards out. Griffiths and Martin played ok up front.
Subs were a bit baffling. Anya for Martin? Surely if Martin was coming off then Steven Fletcher was the replacement? McArthur coming off was the right move but way too late, half time would have been appropriate.
Disappointing but improvements are being made. I would get rid of GS and bring in someone who will change things a bit. I feel he has become stuck in a rut a bit. He has made changes since the start of the campaign but only because he had to. I think he has reverted to type a bit in the last couple of games and that has seen us fail again

Fifehibby74
08-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Just not good enough - only the best teams qualify for the World Cup. You need to have a near perfect campaign and we blew it against Lithuania at hampden. Hopefully our seeding will improve so we get a better group next time

Newry Hibs
08-10-2017, 07:27 PM
Michael O'Neill next

Pete
08-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Strachan out, Cathro in.

hfc rd
08-10-2017, 07:38 PM

That's pathetic in all honesty.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-10-2017, 07:40 PM

Size of the heart and commitment to the cause.

Hi Heid Yin
08-10-2017, 07:41 PM
We simply did our best, which ultimately was not good enough. There is no need for lengthy discussions on what went wrong.
The cream always rises to the top. We, by the same measurement are half way down a bottle of fat-free, watery milk.
Nothing to be ashamed of for a nation of 5 million.
Alex Ferguson would not have gotten any more out of the players at his disposal than Strachan.

Mibbes Aye
08-10-2017, 07:49 PM
We simply did our best, which ultimately was not good enough. There is no need for lengthy discussions on what went wrong.
The cream always rises to the top. We, by the same measurement are half way down a bottle of fat-free, watery milk.
Alex Ferguson would not have gotten any more out of the players at his disposal than Strachan.

Playing devil's advocate, we are the same size as Denmark, who have managed to win a major championship and for a fleeting moment in the mid-80s were probably the best team on the planet.

We are also the same size as New Zealand, who are utterly dominant at rugby union while still managing to put out a very decent cricket team.

Success is there if we want it, but I don't think there's enough desire.

Diclonius
08-10-2017, 07:49 PM

Albania: 3 million
Bosnia: 4 million
Croatia: 4 million
Iceland: 300,000
Ireland: 5 milllion
Slovakia: 5 million
Northern Ireland: 2 million
Wales: 3 million

All recently (some regularly) qualified for tournaments ahead of us. Population isn't an excuse. We don't have the infrastructure and our administration don't have any intention of implementing it.

Pretty Boy
08-10-2017, 07:53 PM

Do you think Ferguson would have seen us overrun in midfield the way we were tonight?

Would Ferguson have failed to make the change at half time to pack the midfield when we were a goal up and instead wait until we lost a goal and act reactively rather than proactively?

Would Ferguson blame our failing on us being too wee rather than look at why we conceded so many set pieces?

Would Ferguson have waited until it was already an uphill struggle in the campaign to begin utilising his best striker because he 'doesn't offer as much when defending corners'?

Strachan is getting a bafflingly easy ride from some quarters imo. He's overseen 2 poor qualifying campaigns. I'm not sure if it's possible but I'd be looking at getting Michael O'Neill in, he's proven he can get far more out of a limited squad than Strachan can.

Sir David Gray
08-10-2017, 07:54 PM

All recently (some regularly) qualified for tournaments ahead of us. Population isn't an excuse. We don't have the infrastructure and our administration don't have any intention of implementing it.

It really is sad looking at that list. We should be light years ahead of the likes of Albania and Bosnia when it comes to football.

We have such a massive interest in football in this country and the fact that it will now be at least 22 years since we last qualified for a major tournament is an absolute disgrace.

weecounty hibby
08-10-2017, 07:54 PM
Sorry but I disagree with that completely about SAF. At no time in his career as a manger did he CONSTANTLY pick players not good enough. He moved on some of the worlds best when he felt they couldn't do it for him anymore. Guys like Phillips, McArthur, Forrest etc would only get one, maybe two, chances. GS picks players he likes and not who is best suited in my opinion. He would have done better with the players available than GS

Pretty Boy
08-10-2017, 07:56 PM

Add Slovenia into the mix; 3 major tournaments since 1998 with a population of 2M. Latvia have made one with a population of under 2M.

cleanyman
08-10-2017, 07:56 PM
I'd ask Fergie if he was interested. Long shot but I'd ask.

Fifehibby74
08-10-2017, 07:57 PM
It really is sad looking at that list. We should be light years ahead of the likes of Albania and Bosnia when it comes to football.

We have such a massive interest in football in this country and the fact that it will now be at least 22 years since we last qualified for a major tournament is an absolute disgrace.

Tend to agree with the part about the massive interest in football in this country. We get 50,000 at hampden for most games (crazy ticket prices as well - especially the England game) what was the attendance tonight at the Slovenia game. Where does all the money go????

Fifehibby74
08-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Add Slovenia into the mix; 3 major tournaments since 1998 with a population of 2M. Latvia have made one with a population of under 2M.

Which tournament did Latvia qualify for?

Diclonius
08-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Tend to agree with the part about the massive interest in football in this country. We get 50,000 at hampden for most games (crazy ticket prices as well - especially the England game) what was the attendance tonight at the Slovenia game. Where does all the money go????

Probably "fact-finding missions" to luxury hotels in Switzerland, Qatar and Malaysia.

Fifehibby74
08-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Euros 2004 - just googled it - makes me feel even worse 😀

Mr White
08-10-2017, 08:02 PM

2004 Euros in Portugal. They got a point off Germany in the group stage.

Mibbes Aye
08-10-2017, 08:06 PM

I think we should be doing better than we are doing but I'm wary of comparisons in that fashion. This applies to club level too. Football is fluid and teams who were big guns ten or twenty years ago aren't necessarily as strong now. Likewise teams who were seen as weaker become stronger.

There's no doubt that St Johnstone are far stronger than Dundee United at the moment, but twenty or thirty years ago the comparison would be ridiculous. United were winning titles and reaching European finals.

Likewise Switzerland and Belgium are amongst the best of the European nations just now but were considered an easier draw a couple of decades back, Switzerland in particular (Belgium always seem to have been quiet over-achievers).

The teams you've referenced - half of the Albanian squad are in Serie A while the Bosnians are playing in the Bundesliga and the EPL.

They have better squads, simple as that.

Pretty Boy
08-10-2017, 08:07 PM

Euro 2004.

overdrive
08-10-2017, 08:09 PM
I walked into the room as O’Neill was doing his pre-match interview. For some reason he was banging on about Scotland. He then clarified that (a) he didn’t need to beat Scotland, he needed to beat Norway and (b) he wasn’t competing with Scotland.

He’s right. There’s no competition with Scotland (even if they don’t qualify). They are streets ahead of us.

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 08:15 PM
I walked into the room as O’Neill was doing his pre-match interview. For some reason he was banging on about Scotland. He then clarified that (a) he didn’t need to beat Scotland, he needed to beat Norway and (b) he wasn’t competing with Scotland.

He’s right. There’s no competition with Scotland (even if they don’t qualify). They are streets ahead of us.

No they aren't.

Mr White
08-10-2017, 08:16 PM

I think the result in Slovenia confirmed NI's place in the plyoffs and he was discussing how they'd maybe been paying more attention than he would have preferred to the Scotland mstch rather than focusing on their own game.

Agreed they're streets ahead and deservedly in the play-offs. They are currently losing 1 nil though.

Speedy
08-10-2017, 08:17 PM

I'm not convinced they are.

Team full of average players with a similar points tally in a group worse than ours.

Mr White
08-10-2017, 08:18 PM
No they aren't.

They are. They have a good shout of qualifying for their second major finals on the bounce and have kept 7 clean sheets in their 10 qualification matches.

Scorrie
08-10-2017, 08:20 PM

Whit? Seriously? Jeezo what about Northern Ireland, Wales or Iceland? Iceland have less folk than Edinburgh.

cammy1969
Time to bring in new young manager sweep clean the dead wood out, we now for 1st time in god knows how long a descent young base to work on. Gordon, not young but keepers last longer Robertson , tierney, Armstrong mcginn mcgregor , griffs and others that don't come to mind at present. But imo something to look forward to with a young forward thinking man in charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr White
I'm not convinced they are.

Team full of average players with a similar points tally in a group worse than ours.

Germany, Czech Republic, Norway vs England, Slovakia & Slovenia? Not much in that. They also have the restriction of having a population one third of ours.

Col_0762
08-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Not read every post but if Gordon comes and collects ythe ball 3 yards off his line against England, and again tonight, then we're second. Poor goalkeeping has cost us. Plus taking off Martin tonight, the only height we had up front, then continuing to play high balls, wasn't exactly a masterclass from Strachan.

Bishop Hibee
08-10-2017, 08:29 PM
I watched England v Scotland under 21’s and can understand where Strachan is coming from. Nearly every England player was black. That said, Lewis Morgan was as good as any player on the pitch.

Ultimately it’s Strachan’s poor team selection v Lithuania at home that cost us.

green day
08-10-2017, 08:34 PM
I watched England v Scotland under 21’s and can understand where Strachan is coming from. Nearly every England player was black. That said, Lewis Morgan was as good as any player on the pitch.

Ultimately it’s Strachan’s poor team selection v Lithuania at home that cost us.

What has their colour got to do with it?

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 08:35 PM
They are. They have a good shout of qualifying for their second major finals on the bounce and have kept 7 clean sheets in their 10 qualification matches.

You seen their group? You seen how many points they have ended on? They aren't streets ahead in any way, shape or form. I would fancy any team in the playoffs to beat them too. Streets ahead is a crazy accusation. They have been good, with luck of the draw the past two groups.

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 08:36 PM

What's that got to do with losing out to Slovakia?

Bishop Hibee
08-10-2017, 08:37 PM
What has their colour got to do with it?

Nothing. Genes do. Black athletes statistically outperform white athletes at certain events. Google why Jamaican sprinters do so well, or Ethiopian long distance runners if you think I’m making it up.

Speedy
08-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Germany, Czech Republic, Norway vs England, Slovakia & Slovenia? Not much in that. They also have the restriction of having a population one third of ours.

Granted Germany are better than England but they both ran away with the groups so they're not who either of us are competing against.

Czech Republic and Slovenia are both ranked similarly but Slovakia are miles ahead of Norway.

Mr White
08-10-2017, 08:39 PM
You seen their group? You seen how many points they have ended on? They aren't streets ahead in any way, shape or form. I would fancy any team in the playoffs to beat them too. Streets ahead is a crazy accusation. They have been good, with luck of the draw the past two groups.

I have seen their group. Germany are stronger than England and there's not much between the Czechs, Slovakia, Slovenia and Norway. It depends how you define "streets ahead" I suppose but the reality is they've created a fortress at home, rarely concede goals and have a group of limited players performing at a good bit beyond the sum of their parts.

I'd love it if that were currently a description of Scotland but sadly we are lagging someway behind NI in international terms just now. As evidenced by the latest FIFA rankings.

The Harp Awakes
08-10-2017, 08:39 PM

The SFA are ultimately repsonsible for the Scottish game and they have failed big time for decades now at both national and club level. And yet we have the same numpties in charge who seem to be untouchable. The performances of all those national teams above show the SFA up for what they are; a totally incompetent organisation.

Strachan is a wind bag and a dinosaur just like Mark McGee. He takes no risk in fielding young players and ultimately his stubborness along with some bizarre team selections over his tenure is the reason why he has been a failure. He is only a small part of a much bigger problem though.

I really don't know where we go from here. The game is broken in Scotland. The SFA are incompetent and a bunch of cheats and yet nobody has got a backbone to instigate change. Sadly our own Club don't want to know either.

green day
08-10-2017, 08:41 PM
Nothing. It’s their genetic make up. Google why Jamaican sprinters do so well if you think I’m making it up.

How about the genetic make up of the Iceland team?

Your point was about u21 english black players. I'm confused?

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 08:45 PM
I have seen their group. Germany are stronger than England and there's not much between the Czechs, Slovakia, Slovenia and Norway. It depends how you define "streets ahead" I suppose but the reality is they've created a fortress at home, rarely concede goals and have a group of limited players performing at a good bit beyond the sum of their parts.

I'd love it if that were currently a description of Scotland but sadly we are lagging someway behind NI in international terms just now. As evidenced by the latest FIFA rankings.

Germany and England should be pissing the group.

Slovakia are much better than Czech and Norway, Norway are tripe these days I would say Slovenia are better than them both too. We've finished on the same amount of points as NI in a tougher group. Fair play to them they are in the playoffs and are massively over achieving but I refuse to believe they are better than us. Just my opinion mate.

Mr White
08-10-2017, 08:48 PM

Slovakia are much better than Czech and Norway, Norway are tripe these days I would say Slovenia are better than them both too. We've finished on the same amount of points as NI in a tougher group. Fair play to them they are in the playoffs and are massively over achieving but I refuse to believe they are better than us. Just my opinion mate.

It's hard to say how we'd get on head to head. Though given the current rankings I suspect the bookies would have them favourites. Particularly at Windsor. Plus the strength of our group is rendered irrelevant by the fact the result that ultimately ****ed us was a home draw v Lithuania.

Speedy
08-10-2017, 08:52 PM
It's hard to say how we'd get on head to head. Though given the current rankings I suspect the bookies would have them favourites. Particularly at Windsor. Plus the strength of our group is rendered irrelevant by the fact the result that ultimately ****ed us was a home draw v Lithuania.

They're doing well given their size but they're not a great side.

They've benefitted hugely from probably the worst ever group in Euro 2016 qualifying and have been lucky again to get drawn with poor Czech and Norweigan sides.

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 08:53 PM

Fair point on the Lithuania part. Swap the managers around then see then :greengrin

Mr White
08-10-2017, 08:58 PM
They're doing well given their size but they're not a great side.

They've benefitted hugely from probably the worst ever group in Euro 2016 qualifying and have been lucky again to get drawn with poor Czech and Norweigan sides.

On the flip side they were the lowest seeds in that Euro group and they topped it. Luck only explains a portion of that. They're not a great side but the equivalent for Scotland in terms of fulfilling potential hasn't been seen in nearly 20 years. There is no measurement by which NI aren't currently pissing on Scotland (at least in relative terms) sadly. They're ranked 20th in the world for a reason and that's impressive for a population of their size. Michael O'Neil is doing a fantastic job.

Bishop Hibee
08-10-2017, 08:58 PM
How about the genetic make up of the Iceland team?

Your point was about u21 english black players. I'm confused?

If you look at my whole post rather than editing it, you'll see I said the reason we didn't qualify was the poor team selection for the Lithuania game. Basically he should have played Griffiths.

If you looks at the England under 21 players, the majority are black and taller and stronger than our players. Where Strachan got it wrong is inferring size is everything. He's wee and was a great player so he should know better.

Mr White
08-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Fair point on the Lithuania part. Swap the managers around then see then :greengrin

That's just it. They picked MON from Shamrock ****ing Rovers. Maybe we're blinded by status and standing in the game when making our appointments?

LaMotta
08-10-2017, 09:03 PM

Many of the current players for both teams played in a friendly at hampden in 2015 where Scotland won 1 nil and dominated the 90 mins. They are not streets ahead of us.

Michael O'Neill has done a great job recently. Worth remembering though he was appointed in 2011 and took NI through one of their most disastrous campaigns ever, finishing 2nd bottom where they lost to Luxembourg and Azerbaijan, taking only a point off each team in the home games as well.

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 09:04 PM
That's just it. They picked MON from Sligo ****ing Rovers. Maybe we're blinded by status and standing in the game when making our appointments?

The Scotland job is a retirement club with the managers careers on the way down generally, NI have a young hungry manager. It's a massive difference.

green day
08-10-2017, 09:07 PM
If you look at my whole post rather than editing it, you'll see I said the reason we didn't qualify was the poor team selection for the Lithuania game. Basically he should have played Griffiths.

If you looks at the England under 21 players, the majority are black and taller and stronger than our players. Where Strachan got it wrong is inferring size is everything. He's wee and was a great player so he should know better.

I didn't edit your post, I picked one aspect I thought controversial....and stupid.

i.e. your point that the English u21 team is majority black.

I don't believe it's relevant, and - as I said - the Iceland team are not black.

So skin colour has nothing to do with qualification for the world cup.

BSEJVT
08-10-2017, 09:07 PM
How Strachan failed to see we were being completely over ran at the start of the second half in centre mid and do nothing about it defies belief.

His problem is he has players he rates and others he doesn't and continuously picks those he rates despite their poor from and the form of others.

He lucked latterly into being forced to play Griffiths and Armstrong who almost dug his arse out of a huge hole.

There are far to many never been's is his squads and we need to blood guys that might develop rather than persisting with this over the hill crap.

His core belief is that you can only get penetration down the wings and persists in playing utter rubbish like Forrest, Anya & Phillips whilst leaving his dads army centre midfield to get over ran.

If I ever see the likes of Morrison, Phillips, Anya, Fletcher & McArthur in a Scotland midfield again I will weep.

He has got to go as he incapable of change or changing his mindset.

We have 2 excellent fullbacks and Sparky

Gordon isn't brilliant but crosses apart is reliable enough and if you know your goalie is scared of crosses you deal with it.

Berra & Mulgrew did as well as anyone could have expected of them, but we desperately need another striker with a bit presence to break through and some quality width, I would give Lewis Morgan a go

Mr White
08-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Many of the current players for both teams played in a friendly at hampden in 2015 where Scotland won 1 nil and dominated the 90 mins. They are not streets ahead of us.

Michael O'Neill has done a great job recently. Worth remembering though he was appointed in 2011 and took NI through one of their most disastrous campaigns ever, finishing 2nd bottom where they lost to Luxembourg and Azerbaijan, taking only a point off each team in the home games as well.

1 nil in a friendly at hampden 2 years ago vs their topping a group in qualification for the Euros and getting into the playoffs for the WC? If they're not streets ahead then how far ahead are they? We're talking about where do we go from here while they're 180 minutes from Russia with a settled squad who all know the system they play and a management team who have worked wonders from the position you describe in 2011/12. They shouldn't be so far ahead of us but they are.

cammy1969
08-10-2017, 09:14 PM
At the end off the day strachans loyalty has cost us, as much as its good to have a manager who sticks with his players he has to k ow when there time is up and that's been his big failing. Fergie was a master at moving player on at right time, for me tonight showed GS unwillingness to play the inform players it may not move got the result but unwilling to try gave us less chance imo. I'm sure everyone on park gave there all but that's not enuff unfortunately easily 2-3 players who played tonight should never have started and gave little to zero tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LaMotta
08-10-2017, 09:16 PM
1 nil in a friendly at hampden 2 years ago vs their topping a group in qualification for the Euros and getting into the playoffs for the WC? If they're not streets ahead then how far ahead are they? We're talking about where do we go from here while they're 180 minutes from Russia with a settled squad who all know the system they play and a management team who have worked wonders from the position you describe in 2011/12. They shouldn't be so far ahead of us but they are.

A game between a lot of the players who still play for both teams is as fair a comparison as we have.

One bad game in each campaign has cost us, Georgia and Lithuania. Our groups have been harder as well.

I think we would have beaten them in a play off. We'll never know of course.

Sylar
08-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Strachan needs to **** off, and **** off now. If he had any decency, he'd have done it in his press conference after the match.

This 'reliance on experienced players' pish is a fallacy that's contributed to us being dumped out. We need vibrancy, pace, energy and creative flair. Not Darren Fletcher, Matt Phillips and Barry ****ing Bannan. McGinn has been the best player in the Premiership this season to date, and didn't see the park - McGregor is a class act in that Celtc team, has CL experience and was outstanding for Celtc in Scott Brown's absence - but Strachan has zero ambition.

He ****ed us over earlier in the campaign with his awful team selections against Lithuania and Slovakia, and he absolutely rogered us again tonight - at 1-1, Slovenia were all over us. THAT was the time to make a change and try and shore up our midfield - we were screaming out for it then, not AFTER they go 2-1 up.

I'm fed up with us being the perennial losers - every other British nation has had SOMETHING to cheer in the last decade, but not us - we spectacularly fail at the last hurdle, predictably, in every single qualifying campaign. The players need to take some responsibility for tonight, as they choked under the weight of the occasion, but Strachan needs to leave, and leave now.

Speedy
08-10-2017, 09:18 PM
On the flip side they were the lowest seeds in that Euro group and they topped it. Luck only explains a portion of that. They're not a great side but the equivalent for Scotland in terms of fulfilling potential hasn't been seen in nearly 20 years. There is no measurement by which NI aren't currently pissing on Scotland (at least in relative terms) sadly. They're ranked 20th in the world for a reason and that's impressive for a population of their size. Michael O'Neil is doing a fantastic job.

Being drawn against dross is a major factor in that. And even then top seeds finished bottom below the Faroes. It was a complete anomaly.

I agree O'Neill is doing a fantastic job but they're no better than us imo. As you say, a stupid result against Lithuania cost us - if it wasn't for that I'd be absolutely delighted if we drew NI for a place at the world cup.

Mr White
08-10-2017, 09:20 PM
A game between a lot of the players who still play for both teams is as fair a comparison as we have.

One bad game in each campaign has cost us, Georgia and Lithuania. Our groups have been harder as well.

I think we would have beaten them in a play off. We'll never know of course.

A friendly game. Those two "one bad games" are the difference. They haven't dropped stupid points in qualification like we have. Until we rectify that we'll be lagging behind sides who can perform consistently when it matters. At present that includes NI.

wynnie1875
08-10-2017, 09:21 PM
How Strachan failed to see we were being completely over ran at the start of the second half in centre mid and do nothing about it defies belief.

His problem is he has players he rates and others he doesn't and continuously picks those he rates despite their poor from and the form of others.

He lucked latterly into being forced to play Griffiths and Armstrong who almost dug his arse out of a huge hole.

There are far to many never been's is his squads and we need to blood guys that might develop rather than persisting with this over the hill crap.

His core belief is that you can only get penetration down the wings and persists in playing utter rubbish like Forrest, Anya & Phillips whilst leaving his dads army centre midfield to get over ran.

If I ever see the likes of Morrison, Phillips, Anya, Fletcher & McArthur in a Scotland midfield again I will weep.

He has got to go as he incapable of change or changing his mindset.

We have 2 excellent fullbacks and Sparky

Gordon isn't brilliant but crosses apart is reliable enough and if you know your goalie is scared of crosses you deal with it.

Berra & Mulgrew did as well as anyone could have expected of them, but we desperately need another striker with a bit presence to break through and some quality width, I would give Lewis Morgan a go

If a goalkeeper isn't reliable at coming for crosses he shouldn't be playing international football. Gordon cost us 2 points against England and again **** himself in a must win tonight. Should never pull on a Scotland jersey again. Absolute coward !!

NAE NOOKIE
08-10-2017, 09:28 PM
**** all this crap ....... The bottom line here is seeding, yes you have countries who buck the trend like Iceland and countries who fail to deliver like the Netherlands .... but at the end of the day just like the champions league the dice are loaded to ensure that the biggest countries and the biggest clubs are always at the top table.

The luck of the draw has been removed and it means the minnows barring the odd accident will always be the minnows ..... And I guarantee you that if Argentina fail to make it this time the South American system will be rejigged to ensure that mistake isn't repeated.

Yes we should and could do better .... but at the end of the day FIFA, UEFA their sponsors and the TV moguls only care about the money, and we aren't a money spinner. End of storey.

dmc1875
08-10-2017, 09:28 PM
If a goalkeeper isn't reliable at coming for crosses he shouldn't be playing international football. Gordon cost us 2 points against England and again **** himself in a must win tonight. Should never pull on a Scotland jersey again. Absolute coward !!

The England game no doubt he should have come for that cross but Armstrong cost us those points all day long.

We didn’t lose our chance at the playoffs tonight. We lost it with the 1-1 draw against Lithuania at hampden and that goal against England.

As always no one to blame but ourselves.

Illicic is a good footballer, but no world beater. He tore us to shreds in the second half and was head and shoulders above every Scottish midfielder. Shows how far we have to go.

AgentDaleCooper
08-10-2017, 09:29 PM
Nothing. Genes do. Black athletes statistically outperform white athletes at certain events. Google why Jamaican sprinters do so well, or Ethiopian long distance runners if you think I’m making it up.

how come african team don't dominate the world cup? i'm not saying that you're necessarily wrong in what you cite, i just don't see it's relevance. and besides...rob jones. peter crouch. mo farah. pele. being tall is a property in itself, not a result of your skin colour, whatever the statistical average is. the point being, it's probably a stereotype that was needlessly cited when you could just say they are tall, hence people being tetchy.

Mr White
08-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Being drawn against dross is a major factor in that. And even then top seeds finished bottom below the Faroes. It was a complete anomaly.

I agree O'Neill is doing a fantastic job but they're no better than us imo. As you say, a stupid result against Lithuania cost us - if it wasn't for that I'd be absolutely delighted if we drew NI for a place at the world cup.

They were lucky with drawing the worst performing top seeds ever in Greece but from there? They performed well, topped the group and then beat Ukraine in France. It's very difficult to score against them. They rarely give away stupid goals like we have against Poland, England, Lithuania, Slovenia...

BSEJVT
08-10-2017, 09:33 PM

Over the years there have been plenty top class keepers that don't come for crosses and never have and never will.

Their defenders deal with them and those keepers get picked for their other attributes

Penalty boxes now are such a battle ground with blocking and holding that many keepers don't come for fear of getting trapped under the ball.

Goals direct from corner kicks are much more prevalent than they were in my youth for those reasons also.

Crosses into the box now are much more driven than floated and whipped in much much quicker with much more movement on the ball.

Marciano is another who seldom comes for a cross

IMO he should have came for the cross for the second England goal, no question. It was in the air a long long time and at the apex of its flight one only he could have reached.

Tonight's was much flatter, pacier and from much nearer, I would like my keepers to come for them, but if I knew they wouldn't would deal with it.

Fletcher lost his man and our centre half's were nowhere near either so I find it much harder to blame him for this one

NAE NOOKIE
08-10-2017, 09:34 PM
The England game no doubt he should have come for that cross but Armstrong cost us those points all day long.

We didn’t lose our chance at the playoffs tonight. We lost it with the 1-1 draw against Lithuania at hampden and that goal against England.

As always no one to blame but ourselves.

Illicic is a good footballer, but no world beater. He tore us to shreds in the second half and was head and shoulders above every Scottish midfielder. Shows how far we have to go.

In the second half Scotland's shape and organisation disappeared ... I could have looked good in acres of space against a midfield that had lost its way looking for a break like a load of headless chickens. Hell, if you want to pinpoint one incident that cost us qualification it was Armstrong playing the ball into traffic when he had an easy out ball to the left in the last few minutes against England .. it lead directly to England's equaliser.

Coulda woulda shoulda

Speedy
08-10-2017, 09:40 PM
They were lucky with drawing the worst performing top seeds ever in Greece but from there? They performed well, topped the group and then beat Ukraine in France. It's very difficult to score against them. They rarely give away stupid goals like we have against Poland, England, Lithuania, Slovenia...

The group was mince though, yes they could only compete against the teams in front of them but there's nothing there to suggest they are streets ahead of us.

I think we're pretty similar; solid record at home, not great away and nowhere near enough quality to compete with the top teams.

Mr White
08-10-2017, 09:44 PM
The group was mince though, yes they could only compete against the teams in front of them but there's nothing there to suggest they are streets ahead of us.

I think we're pretty similar; solid record at home, not great away and nowhere near enough quality to compete with the top teams.

We're half a continent away from doing that :greengrin

Tornadoes70
08-10-2017, 09:47 PM
I don't have that much interest in Scotland nowadays as my passion for them was in the seventies and early eighties mostly. However my passion rekindled after the last game when it looked as if we may pull it back from the brink going into this game when a win would put us into the play offs.

My issue with Strachan would be that he persevered with Matt Phillips who according to the pundits on the radio had been pretty much redundant in the last game yet retained his place in this crucial match when there were hungry young guns like our own SJM left on the bench.

I would think Strachan has had his time and replace him with a manager who is willing to play younger more current stars than Matt Phillips of whom it was identified as being more or less invisible by mere pundits who called it correctly. Strachan has been found wanton.

Maybe I'm wrong just being a less than passionate supporter now of our national team however the pundits like Michael Stewart seemed to be able to see what was wrong quicker than Strachan and his backroom staff.

GGTTH

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Cheers Gordon, you ruined it for the nation, that’s a fact! Little ****ing bottler.

Strachan finished 3rd and he's a bottler, Stubbs finished 3rd and he was unlucky?

SteveHFC
08-10-2017, 11:20 PM
Darren Fletcher considering retirement from international duty.

Thecat23
08-10-2017, 11:29 PM
I'm angry we did not qualify. But you have made me more angry you plumb, the colour of his hair has **** all to do with it. I suppose your some sort of perfect specimen?

Ok apologise for that.

Thecat23
08-10-2017, 11:31 PM
Strachan finished 3rd and he's a bottler, Stubbs finished 3rd and he was unlucky?

Yeah we get you don’t like him! Put me on ignore 😊👍🏼

Iain G
09-10-2017, 06:49 AM
Darren Fletcher considering retirement from international duty.

So it's not all been a bad day at the office then 😁

easty
09-10-2017, 06:55 AM

Yes.

Humber Hibby
09-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Ok apologise for that.

No probs.

Firestarter
09-10-2017, 08:13 AM

O'Neil has done brilliantly the majority of the time, Strachan has failed though. I think he will be gone in the next two weeks.

pacoluna
09-10-2017, 08:17 AM
Yeah we get you don’t like him! Put me on ignore ������

He makes a valid point.

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Yeah we get you don’t like him! Put me on ignore 😊👍🏼

Where in any of my posts have you read i don't like Alan Stubbs?

Its clear from many of your posts though, that you hate Strachan.

jacomo
09-10-2017, 08:57 AM
O'Neil has done brilliantly the majority of the time, Strachan has failed though. I think he will be gone in the next two weeks.

Who will replace him though? That is the question.

Personally I think Strachan has earned a lot of goodwill for the way we attacked the 2nd half of the campaign - shame that our poor start did for us.

Brightside
09-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Playing a flat 4 when you've played the majority of the campaign with a 2-3 in midfield was just utter nonsense. Bannan was hung out to dry by strachan last night. The man is a total plumb.... but I'm sure he'll keep the job until he fancies chucking it.

As for those that reckon the CHs are better than Hibs players....well I'm not sure what those things in your head are but they aren't eyes.

Firestarter
09-10-2017, 09:34 AM

Personally I think Strachan has earned a lot of goodwill for the way we attacked the 2nd half of the campaign - shame that our poor start did for us.

Mcinnes or O'Neil. Leaving out Leigh for the likes of Fletch and Coldplay at the start cost this and his refusal to dump players loyal to even in the last match done him.

Blaster
09-10-2017, 09:44 AM
Playing a flat 4 when you've played the majority of the campaign with a 2-3 in midfield was just utter nonsense. Bannan was hung out to dry by strachan last night. The man is a total plumb.... but I'm sure he'll keep the job until he fancies chucking it.

As for those that reckon the CHs are better than Hibs players....well I'm not sure what those things in your head are but they aren't eyes.

To be fair the plan worked in the first half. Got the lead we needed. Problem was he should have changed it to a midfield 5 at half time and hooked Martin

worcesterhibby
09-10-2017, 09:47 AM
I've just been on Talksport speaking to Jim White about Strachan/Genetics and that lack of young players in the Scotland Squad...I made sure I waxed lyrical about SJM...let's hope that the next qualifying campaign sees John as a first team regular, alongside other young players like Callum McGregor, Oliver Burke and maybe even Jason Cummings.

Brightside
09-10-2017, 09:58 AM
To be fair the plan worked in the first half. Got the lead we needed. Problem was he should have changed it to a midfield 5 at half time and hooked Martin

It didn't ...we were very lucky to go in ahead. Constantly pressed back into our own half...against a team we should be pumping. Despite their massive genetic advantage. Bannan did nothing for the first half, and pHillips was also out of the game. Both are good players if allowed to play.

NAE NOOKIE
09-10-2017, 10:01 AM
I've just been on Talksport speaking to Jim White about Strachan/Genetics and that lack of young players in the Scotland Squad...I made sure I waxed lyrical about SJM...let's hope that the next qualifying campaign sees John as a first team regular, alongside other young players like Callum McGregor, Oliver Burke and maybe even Jason Cummings.

There was a discussion on Talk sport the other day about who to bring into midfield and SJM was never even mentioned .... clearly because the pundits discussing the subject had never even seen him play and couldn't bring themselves to believe that a guy playing for Hibs could be anywhere near the level of a guy playing for Sheffield Wednesday for example. Come to think of it, when was the last time anybody saw Gordon Strachan at Easter Road?

Blaster
09-10-2017, 10:06 AM
It didn't ...we were very lucky to go in ahead. Constantly pressed back into our own half...against a team we should be pumping. Despite their massive genetic advantage. Bannan did nothing for the first half, and pHillips was also out of the game. Both are good players if allowed to play.

What was the half time score? Clearly it did work and you are just being blinkered by your hatred of strachan

Yes they had chunks of possession but few chances in the first half. We had decent spells too in the first half. We had done the hard work in the first half by getting a lead. Half time was time to tighten things up

Brightside
09-10-2017, 10:08 AM
What was the half time score? Clearly it did work and you are just being blinkered by your hatred of strachan

Yes they had chunks of possession but few chances in the first half. We had decent spells too in the first half. We had done the hard work in the first half by getting a lead. Half time was time to tighten things up

Nah i watched the game. We were very poor in the first half against a team that we are technically much better than. The fact that Starchan is a plum is nothing to do with that point.

Blaster
09-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Nah i watched the game. We were very poor in the first half against a team that we are technically much better than. The fact that Starchan is a plum is nothing to do with that point.

Poor but winning which was the sole aim of last night. Which we were at half time. That's why he should have changed it at half time

Swedish hibee
09-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Just seen the goals.. 2 absolutely shocking goals to let in on such an important night.

Speedy
09-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Poor but winning which was the sole aim of last night. Which we were at half time. That's why he should have changed it at half time

Agreed. We went out to sit back and counter attack.

At half time we should've changed back to previous game tactics of 4-2-3-1 and pressed high up the pitch.

GS was clearly going to do that with Anya coming on - I'm not sure why he still made the sub when they equalised though.

BoltonHibee
09-10-2017, 11:59 AM

If Strachan goes, I would expect David Moyes to be the likely replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worcesterhibby
09-10-2017, 12:32 PM

Just had a call back from Talk Sport and Jim White and Danny Murphy chose my call as call of the day...so I won £100 of Wickes vouchers, which is perfect as I am just about to re-decorate the bathroom...so not only did the Talksport Pundits agree that John McGinn should be in the team, but I'm £100 better off !

Maybe it was a good thing that Scotland got eliminated !! :greengrin:wink:

--------
09-10-2017, 12:40 PM
The job that Chris Coleman and the O'Neills are doing (and doing very well) is to organise their teams to get the very best from individuals who aren't top-class international players. Coleman, of course, has the advantage that he actually has a genuine international class star in Gareth Bale, but he still has to structure and organise around him. Previous Welsh managers had Ryan Giggs in their teams and didn't do that.

We don't have players of the calibre we once had; we have a group of professional players who play at various levels within Scottish and English football. Properly led and organised these guys wouldn't let themselves or the supporters down, but there are clear problems and deficiencies that need to be addressed - and that can only be done by the manager, and that doesn't appear to be happening. For all the talk of a Scottish revival in this qualifying group, last night was as ineffectual and at times shambolic as the early performances.

How long did it take Strachan to get round to playing Leigh Griffiths? LG had no chance while he was with us - playing for the wrong team - and even after he went to Celtic he was ignored time and time again - yet his finish last night for the first goal was top-class. His running's good, he works his socks off, and if there's any doubt about his quality, who did the Slovenes clog when things got awkward?

Second half Leigh was left all alone up front chasing shadows with no support. When he got the ball, he had no one for the pass. Why was this? Because Mastermind had taken Chris Martin off right after the first Slovenia goal. Really? We need to score at least once more, so you take off a forward and replace him with a midfielder? Mind, Anya played well. Once he came on. Same can be said for Robert Snodgrass - once he came on.

I saw no evidence of connected planning in the team's performance last night. However, we can sleep sound tonight, confident that Mastermind has put his grubby wee finger on the problem. Scotland are genetically challenged. We're too wee, and we need to get big guys and big girls together to breed big bairns and all will be well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41546717

He may well be right.

I can think of one individual well under 6 feet tall who needs to be punted out of the Scotland set-up TODAY.

Smartie
09-10-2017, 12:54 PM
The job that Chris Coleman and the O'Neills are doing (and doing very well) is to organise their teams to get the very best from individuals who aren't top-class international players. Coleman, of course, has the advantage that he actually has a genuine international class star in Gareth Bale, but he still has to structure and organise around him. Previous Welsh managers had Ryan Giggs in their teams and didn't do that.

We don't have players of the calibre we once had; we have a group of professional players who play at various levels within Scottish and English football. Properly led and organised these guys wouldn't let themselves or the supporters down, but there are clear problems and deficiencies that need to be addressed - and that can only be done by the manager, and that doesn't appear to be happening. For all the talk of a Scottish revival in this qualifying group, last night was as ineffectual and at times shambolic as the early performances.

How long did it take Strachan to get round to playing Leigh Griffiths? LG had no chance while he was with us - playing for the wrong team - and even after he went to Celtic he was ignored time and time again - yet his finish last night for the first goal was top-class. His running's good, he works his socks off, and if there's any doubt about his quality, who did the Slovenes clog when things got awkward?

Second half Leigh was left all alone up front chasing shadows with no support. When he got the ball, he had no one for the pass. Why was this? Because Mastermind had taken Chris Martin off right after the first Slovenia goal. Really? We need to score at least once more, so you take off a forward and replace him with a midfielder? Mind, Anya played well. Once he came on. Same can be said for Robert Snodgrass - once he came on.

I saw no evidence of connected planning in the team's performance last night. However, we can sleep sound tonight, confident that Mastermind has put his grubby wee finger on the problem. Scotland are genetically challenged. We're too wee, and we need to get big guys and big girls together to breed big bairns and all will be well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41546717

He may well be right.

I can think of one individual well under 6 feet tall who needs to be punted out of the Scotland set-up TODAY.

That's what I find so unusual about Strachan's comments.

He was a cracking wee player who richly deserved all the medals and caps he won, and deserved to play the way he did until he was 40.

I'm sure he's been told he's not big enough many times throughout his career, yet he found a way to play that didn't affect him.

Its an excuse, it's piece of nonsense and I'm not having it.

If Fletcher marks a man or our 6 foot 5 in goalkeeper came off his line then we don't lose the first goal.

Our players could all be 8 ft tall, if they make those mistakes of judgment, we will continue to lose.

(I should add that I don't really blame Gordon or Fletcher for last night - great ball in that took the whole defence out. The England game was another story.)

Hi Heid Yin
09-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Playing devil's advocate, we are the same size as Denmark, who have managed to win a major championship and for a fleeting moment in the mid-80s were probably the best team on the planet.

We are also the same size as New Zealand, who are utterly dominant at rugby union while still managing to put out a very decent cricket team.

Success is there if we want it, but I don't think there's enough desire.

Good points, but Denmark is a wonderful exception to the rule, as was Leicester City's brilliant freak season where everything that could go right, did.
I'm proud of the effort of our boys.

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Yesterdays draw was not down to team selection, team formation or even Strachan being a plumb.

The keeper who wont come off his line and clatter everyone while either punching or catching the ball when its headed into his net from FOUR yards out was clearly to blame for the first one, and the 2nd one could have been punched clear before it was laid back to the scorer.

He clearly can do it, as when we went 2-1 down, he started to come for crosses, and punched one on the edge of his 6 yard box, then caught another that he'd been sheiting himself at earlier.

Heart of a pea, and his fault for yesterday.

greenlex
09-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Good points, but Denmark is a wonderful exception to the rule, as was Leicester City's brilliant freak season where everything that could go right, did.
I'm proud of the effort of our boys.
Greece. Ok twice the population but hardly a footballing great.

Firestarter
09-10-2017, 02:44 PM
Just had a call back from Talk Sport and Jim White and Danny Murphy chose my call as call of the day...so I won £100 of Wickes vouchers, which is perfect as I am just about to re-decorate the bathroom...so not only did the Talksport Pundits agree that John McGinn should be in the team, but I'm £100 better off !

Maybe it was a good thing that Scotland got eliminated !! :greengrin:wink:

Well done! Congratulations!

Michael
09-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Uruguay are pretty consistently decent and have a similar population.