PDA

View Full Version : Today in 1964 we beat Real Madrid

bigwheel
07-10-2017, 02:16 PM
It was 53 years ago today, Hibs turned over Real Madrid 2-0..under the floodlights, a young Peter Cormack stole the show above Puskas etc..

Lago
07-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Oh those were the days.

ACLeith
07-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Oh those were the days.

...... my friend, we thought they'd never end 😀

NAE NOOKIE
07-10-2017, 03:03 PM
Wonder how we would get on now :greengrin

Northernhibee
07-10-2017, 03:07 PM
...... my friend, we thought they'd never end 😀

We'd sing and dance forever and a day
Though things have got worse in parts
We still sing out "**** the Hearts"
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days

bigwheel
07-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Wonder how we would get on now :greengrin

i'd think it would be a draw.....after all they are well into their 70s and 80s :wink:

Bobo
07-10-2017, 03:53 PM
It was 53 years ago today, Hibs turned over Real Madrid 2-0..under the floodlights, a young Peter Cormack stole the show above Puskas etc..

Here's some of the old footage for anyone interested:

https://youtu.be/meAVIQu51YM

Jonnyboy
07-10-2017, 06:40 PM
i'd think it would be a draw.....after all they are well into their 70s and 80s :wink:

:faf: 👍

ancient hibee
07-10-2017, 06:52 PM
A superb team.Forward line of four inside forwards plus Jim Scott who was anything but a traditional centre forward.

IGRIGI
07-10-2017, 07:02 PM
Does anyone know how many where at the game? Some roar for the goals!

Also hear the phrase "another brilliant Hibs raid" at 6 mins 48 secs in, has to be a phrase we bring back into use at Hibs Tv 😁

madsen5
07-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Oh those were the days.

Indeed remember it well.

cabbageandribs1875
07-10-2017, 07:29 PM
tears in my eyes noo

so pwoud

Iggy Pope
07-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Not been in the GamesRoom in the Hibs club for several years, but I remember the polished wooden plaque of the game had pride of place in there some time ago. I also know that plaque came to the Hibs club from the club development shop that was on Albert Street during the early 70s. Beautiful thing that it is.

ACLeith
07-10-2017, 08:17 PM
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
Though things have got worse in parts
We still sing out "**** the Hearts"
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days

As Mary Hopkin MIGHT have sung if she'd been present on 1.1.73 😎

ACLeith
07-10-2017, 08:24 PM
Does anyone know how many where at the game? Some roar for the goals!

Also hear the phrase "another brilliant Hibs raid" at 6 mins 48 secs in, has to be a phrase we bring back into use at Hibs Tv 😁

I read about 30,000. I was there! And still have the programme. Willie Hamilton showed his genius that night.

stoneyburn hibs
07-10-2017, 08:32 PM
I read about 30,000. I was there! And still have the programme. Willie Hamilton showed his genius that night.

Wow! Amazing that someone who posts on here was at that game. I'm both jealous and very respectful.

greenpaper55
07-10-2017, 08:39 PM
I was there, you have to remember it was only a few years since we had beat Barcelona so why not Real ! I think we were all aware that Real were not the team of old but i think they were only missing Di Stefano from the all conquering side of a few years back, changed days indeed.

ACLeith
07-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Wow! Amazing that someone who posts on here was at that game. I'm both jealous and very respectful.

And still able to get out the house without the aid of a zimmer 👍

SideBurns
07-10-2017, 09:13 PM
My dad was lucky enough to be there that night, and I recall him telling me that Real simply didn't play friendlies back then - they went out to win every game. The enormity of Hibs achievement has probably been lost as it wasn't in official European competition which is a pity, but at the end of the day, who cares? We all know, and that there is surviving footage is marvellous. I just wish someone could unearth highlights of the Napoli game - another night under the floodlights my dad never tired of telling me about, and I was always happy to listen...

hibbybrian
08-10-2017, 08:40 AM
My dad was lucky enough to be there that night, and I recall him telling me that Real simply didn't play friendlies back then - they went out to win every game. The enormity of Hibs achievement has probably been lost as it wasn't in official European competition which is a pity, but at the end of the day, who cares? We all know, and that there is surviving footage is marvellous. I just wish someone could unearth highlights of the Napoli game - another night under the floodlights my dad never tired of telling me about, and I was always happy to listen...

It was actually billed as a Challenge Match, not a Friendly :flag:

Mick O'Rourke
08-10-2017, 10:08 AM
On the attendance.
I stand to be corrected,but 32.000 rings a bell!
Hibernian just about broke even,money wise,that night.

Real at the time played Challenge matches throughout Europe and elsewhere and charged a set fee for appearing.
A bit like sportsman do today.Athletes, golfers,etc.

It poured down wae rain the night.
I was there,sat on a neighbours shoulders on the old main terracing.

Am sure tickets were sold for the match.
A rare occurance back then.
Dont recall if you could pay at the gate on the night.
It was a long time ago!

The Hibernian players were each presented with a watch with the Real logo/badge on the face.

Puskas, it is reported, stated later that Willie Hamilton would not have looked out of place in that great Madrid side.
And i agree !

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-10-2017, 12:21 PM
I was there right down the front of the FF end, could just see over the barrier, couldn't see the first goal but still jumped up and doon :greengrin different story with the 2nd goal, what an atmosphere and my only real memory apart from the 2nd goal is how utterly brilliant Willie Hamilton and Peter Cormack were that night.