PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon for Scotland

SideBurns
07-10-2017, 12:48 PM
First post, and I'm starting a thread which isnae really about Hibs (perhaps an early LTYF might be on its way)! There seems to be an accepted wisdom amongst the press that central defence is Scotland's weakest area but that there are no unexplored options for Strachan. Is Paul Hanlon invisible? He is quick, two footed, strong, comfortable on the ball and an intelligent footballer. He captained the under 21s at a time when he was very left footed and struggled against physical strikers, and his improvement is testament to his professionalism. Pundits on Radio Scotland were even suggesting moving Tierney to centre half; there seems to be a blind spot in the media where Paul is concerned. I actually think Berra is playing well for Scotland (might just have sealed the LTYF with that comment), but Paul is a better player in my opinion.

Penicuik Hibee
07-10-2017, 12:54 PM
First post, and I'm starting a thread which isnae really about Hibs (perhaps an early LTYF might be on its way)! There seems to be an accepted wisdom amongst the press that central defence is Scotland's weakest area but that there are no unexplored options for Strachan. Is Paul Hanlon invisible? He is quick, two footed, strong, comfortable on the ball and an intelligent footballer. He captained the under 21s at a time when he was very left footed and struggled against physical strikers, and his improvement is testament to his professionalism. Pundits on Radio Scotland were even suggesting moving Tierney to centre half; there seems to be a blind spot in the media where Paul is concerned. I actually think Berra is playing well for Scotland (might just have sealed the LTYF with that comment), but Paul is a better player in my opinion.

I agree. Paul is a quality defender and has the intelligence to play at a higher level. When you consider some of the central defenders who have played earlier in the campaign who weren't playing for their clubs. I think Paul deserved a chance

Smartie
07-10-2017, 12:59 PM
I think Paul is a better player than Berra, but I've been pleasantly (unpleasantly?) surprised how well Berra has done for Scotland over the past few games.

Hanlon hasn't done himself any favours by staying with Hibs and spending 3 years in the Championship.

He's also had a slightly shaky start to our time back in the top league. I think he's still recovering from his latest injury and looks like he's lost a yard of pace, which he may or may not recover from.

The idea of playing Tierney at CB is mental though - far too wee for that position.

Porteous looks to have the makings of a great CB too though. I'm astonished at how well served Hibs are for CB's, when Scotland seem to be struggling so badly in that position.

Allant1981
07-10-2017, 01:01 PM
he is just as good as berra but is he really good enough to play against the very best forwards? probably not. good enough for the level he plays at domestically but cant see him playing at the very top

18Hibee75
07-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Although he's obviously injured now, McGregor would be a good addition to the Scotland squad in the future imo.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

matty_f
07-10-2017, 01:39 PM
I'd have no issues with Hanlon getting picked for Scotland. He's easily good enough, imho.

Jonnyboy
07-10-2017, 01:49 PM
he is just as good as berra but is he really good enough to play against the very best forwards? probably not. good enough for the level he plays at domestically but cant see him playing at the very top

Do any of Scotland’s central defenders have that ability though? My view is that PH is a match for any of them 👍

weecounty hibby
07-10-2017, 02:01 PM
I think his time will come. Keep playing as he is for us, Berra and Mullgrew getting older, no real other options who look better. After the qualifiers I could see him being played in some friendlies

brog
07-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Do any of Scotland’s central defenders have that ability though? My view is that PH is a match for any of them 👍

I agree 100% John. IMO Paul is a far better centre half than either of the 2 who played on Thursday. I'm thrilled we won but those 2 centre backs give me nightmares as did Hanley before them. Hopefully we win tomorrow but unfortunately we won't have the luxury of playing against 10 men tomorrow.

where'stheslope
07-10-2017, 02:19 PM
I think Paul is a better player than Berra, but I've been pleasantly (unpleasantly?) surprised how well Berra has done for Scotland over the past few games.

Hanlon hasn't done himself any favours by staying with Hibs and spending 3 years in the Championship.

He's also had a slightly shaky start to our time back in the top league. I think he's still recovering from his latest injury and looks like he's lost a yard of pace, which he may or may not recover from.

The idea of playing Tierney at CB is mental though - far too wee for that position.

Porteous looks to have the makings of a great CB too though. I'm astonished at how well served Hibs are for CB's, when Scotland seem to be struggling so badly in that position.

I think this is a big reason for him not being looked at, even in the championship winning season we lost a lot of silly avoidable goals against very weak opposition at times!

However, they did look at John McGinn and played him, so maybe he just needs time to get a string of games where our defence is on top and not losing silly goals, to get their full attention!!!!

He will not be the first or the last good player to be omitted from Scotland's set up as he is not with the Glasgow Giants!!!!

SideBurns
07-10-2017, 02:44 PM

That was my point about PH - not that he's necessarily good enough to play against the world's top strikers but that he is better equipped to do so than the present selections. The fact that he has turned himself into a genuinely two footed CH is massive in my opinion. Strikers may find a weakness somewhere in his game, but they won't be able to push him into his 'wrong'foot!

snooky
07-10-2017, 03:00 PM
PH wears a green & white sleeved top which is so high-tech that it is invisible to all (non-Hibs) team selectors.
Unlike the heavily flurecent blue or green & white hooped tops which can be seen hidden away in reserve sides, by selectors from as far away as Moonbase-SFA.

Allant1981
07-10-2017, 03:08 PM
PH wears a green & white sleeved top which is so high-tech that it is invisible to all (non-Hibs) team selectors.
Unlike the heavily flurecent blue or green & white hooped tops which can be seen hidden away in reserve sides, by selectors from as far away as Moonbase-SFA.

so the same top that john mcginn and steven whittaker wears?

Ralphy C
07-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Every bit as good as the current picks in my opinion but is never considered, probably good for us as he's been overlooked by clubs down south who could pay him more than we could.

Speedy
07-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Him and McGregor arent quite good enough. They'd do a job if he had a few injuries in that area but they're no improvement on the current pairing.

Vault Boy
07-10-2017, 05:01 PM
He's better than the two we currently have starting IMO. Berra and Mulgrew have done pretty well the last few games but Paul deserves a call up and has done for years.

Northernhibee
07-10-2017, 05:07 PM
If Tierney and Robertson weren't a part of the Scotland set up I genuinely would say that Lewis Stevenson would deserve a call up. Staggeringly under-rated outside Hibs. Sublime first touch and does everything he needs to do very, very well.

But Hanlon, aye. Defo.

snooky
07-10-2017, 05:28 PM
so the same top that john mcginn and steven whittaker wears?

Didn't see them on the Hampden pitch. Maybe they had their invisible tops on while sitting in the dugout. :wink:

bigwheel
07-10-2017, 05:29 PM
If Tierney and Robertson weren't a part of the Scotland set up I genuinely would say that Lewis Stevenson would deserve a call up. Staggeringly under-rated outside Hibs. Sublime first touch and does everything he needs to do very, very well.

But Hanlon, aye. Defo.

Stevenson is my favourite Hibs player of the last 10 years..I would pick him every week - i have defended him on here many times.....but there is no way he is full international standard..

Northernhibee
07-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Stevenson is my favourite Hibs player of the last 10 years..I would pick him every week - i have defended him on here many times.....but there is no way he is full international standard..

As I say, Tierney and Robertson are better. But if you're looking for a solid, reliable player I honestly think he's overlooked.

But when the aforementioned two are available there's no chance. If Ian Black can get a cap then Lewie should have one hundred caps :greengrin

Speedy
07-10-2017, 05:39 PM
Does he have any Belgian relatives? Could get himself a place at the world cup at this rate

Tyler Durden
07-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Him and McGregor arent quite good enough. They'd do a job if he had a few injuries in that area but they're no improvement on the current pairing.

Correct. He's not in the squad because he's not been good enough. If you asked fans across the country not many would say Hanlon should be called up.

He's approaching his peak though and seems to get better every year - maybe he can break into the squad in the next year or so. Performances like the one against Hamilton won't have done him any favours though.

lucky
07-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Hanlon does well for Hibs but is a long way of international football.

Allant1981
07-10-2017, 06:02 PM
Didn't see them on the Hampden pitch. Maybe they had their invisible tops on while sitting in the dugout. :wink:

but they were picked for the squad

SideBurns
07-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Correct. He's not in the squad because he's not been good enough. If you asked fans across the country not many would say Hanlon should be called up.

He's approaching his peak though and seems to get better every year - maybe he can break into the squad in the next year or so. Performances like the one against Hamilton won't have done him any favours though.

If Strachan judged Hibs players solely on the Hamilton performance, McGinn & Whittaker wouldn't be in the squad either. I'd prefer to think he'd look at how PH performs in bigger games (like at Parkheid last week). However, hopefully he's approaching his peak, as you say, and will get his chance soon.

Deansy
07-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Its the age-old problem for Hanlon - doesn't play for either of the 'Ugly Sisters' !. Might be in with a shout if the likes of the 'Daily Rectum' exclusively report either are interested in him ??.

heretoday
07-10-2017, 06:40 PM
I don't rate Hanlon that highly. Nor Berra.
In fact I'd say Scotland have a problem at centre back.

theonlywayisup
07-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Hanlon does well for Hibs but is a long way of international football.

:agree: that's my view. Good player - a legend. But not international class, IMO. But then again neither was Ian Black:brickwall

To me, having grown up watching McQueen, Holton, Miller, McLeish, Hanson and even Aitken, our current crop are very lacking.

You could argue that Hanlon is as good as those that have recently played for Scotland and I can fully understand that view - but I would rather Paul Hanlon concentrates on being very good for Hibs and then, maybe, his time will come.

The future could be very bright for Paul Hanlon at international level, but not right now.

Iggy Pope
07-10-2017, 06:56 PM
Didn't Paul Hanlon rack up umpteen U-21 caps? Where is all this ***** about him being less than Berra coming from?
As for Paul Hanlon regressing while staying at Hibs in the Championship for three seasons...... he helped drag us out of it and won a Scottish Cup winners medal at the club he loves while Berra continued under achieving in lower league football. I'd say it's testament to the Paul and his character. Easily good enough.

Firestarter
07-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Hanlon would be exposed big time at International football.

superfurryhibby
07-10-2017, 07:26 PM

Care to elaborate?

Iggy Pope
07-10-2017, 07:36 PM

Exposed to bigger clubs, right? Got you. Well said.

SideBurns
07-10-2017, 07:44 PM
:agree: that's my view. Good player - a legend. But not international class, IMO. But then again neither was Ian Black:brickwall

To me, having grown up watching McQueen, Holton, Miller, McLeish, Hanson and even Aitken, our current crop are very lacking.

You could argue that Hanlon is as good as those that have recently played for Scotland and I can fully understand that view - but I would rather Paul Hanlon concentrates on being very good for Hibs and then, maybe, his time will come.

The future could be very bright for Paul Hanlon at international level, but not right now.

I grew up watching McLeish, Miller etc too. I also saw Dalglish, Archibald & John Robertson of Notts Forest but comparing the present Scotland forward line to those superstars of yesteryear would be equally pointless.
It's about picking the best players available now and I just believe Hanlon is as good or better than the current CBs Strachan keeps picking. I actually think a Berra/Hanlon partnership could work as Paul can play on the right and has the pace and athleticism to cover. Of course, it is all hypothetical until tried, at which point I could well be proved wrong!!

07-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Not a total fan of Berra but he has played at higher level than Paul certainly in the few seasons.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-10-2017, 08:35 PM
Difficult one for goalies and defenders is that they are always expected to play 90 minutes so it's not like they can play their way into teams. I think that he will get an opportunity soon though. If we qualify and that is a big if, then Strachan will need to look at all his options and Hanlon is good enough to make the first 40 or whatever the squad is before it is cut down. Other side is that if we miss out and then have to rebuild, there will be a few friendlies against teams looking for practice against physical European sides and he surely has to get a run out then.

lord bunberry
07-10-2017, 09:01 PM

Mate there's some international goalkeepers that would walk into our midfield. Hanlon is bette than every centre half that we've tried in recent years.

stoneyburn hibs
07-10-2017, 09:08 PM
Mate there's some international goalkeepers that would walk into our midfield. Hanlon is bette than every centre half that we've tried in recent years.

He's certainly just as good as Hanley.

staunchhibby
07-10-2017, 09:21 PM
Take it you do not rate hanlon.Or not a supporter.There has been a lot worse pulled on a Scotland top

Brightside
07-10-2017, 10:36 PM
He's the best footballing CH that Scotland has. Yet still plenty Hibs fans don't get it.

Tyler Durden
07-10-2017, 10:53 PM
He's the best footballing CH that Scotland has. Yet still plenty Hibs fans don't get it.

Plenty Hibs fans rate Hanlon very highly, consider him a legend and still have the objectivity to recognise he's not the best Scottish CH.

To say he's a better footballing CH than Mulgrew is just silly.

cwilliamson85
07-10-2017, 11:12 PM
Didn't Paul Hanlon rack up umpteen U-21 caps? Where is all this ***** about him being less than Berra coming from?
As for Paul Hanlon regressing while staying at Hibs in the Championship for three seasons...... he helped drag us out of it and won a Scottish Cup winners medal at the club he loves while Berra continued under achieving in lower league football. I'd say it's testament to the Paul and his character. Easily good enough.

I find it crazy that he’s 3rd on the all time appearances list for the u21’s but never been considered.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_under-21_football_team

Brightside
07-10-2017, 11:18 PM
Plenty Hibs fans rate Hanlon very highly, consider him a legend and still have the objectivity to recognise he's not the best Scottish CH.

To say he's a better footballing CH than Mulgrew is just silly.

Hanlon is a better footballer and reads a game better than Mulgrew. Call me silly. :greengrin

silverhibee
07-10-2017, 11:23 PM

I think if Paul had moved on earlier in his career and done well at a bigger club (sure Fulham were interested in him a number of years a go) he may well be a starter for Scotland as now, maybe if he moved to Aberdeen when we got relegated ( sure there was a bid for him) he might have been considered by now playing at a good team up North, I would like to see him get a call up, but sadly I can't see it happening.

silverhibee
07-10-2017, 11:28 PM
I find it crazy that he’s 3rd on the all time appearances list for the u21’s but never been considered.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_under-21_football_team

Who were our CHs for Scotland when Paul should have made the step up to the full squad.

cwilliamson85
07-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Who were our CHs for Scotland when Paul should have made the step up to the full squad.

2012 qualifiers:
Defender
Christophe Berra Ipswich Town 31/01/1985
Paul Caddis Birmingham City 19/04/1988
Gary Caldwell Wigan Athletic 12/04/1982
Paul Dixon Huddersfield Town 11/10/1986
Ricky Foster Rangers FC 31/07/1985
Danny Fox Southampton FC 29/05/1986
Gordon Greer Brighton & Hove Albion 14/12/1980
Steven Hammell Motherwell FC 18/02/1982
Grant Hanley Blackburn Rovers 20/11/1991
Alan Hutton Aston Villa 30/11/1984
Gary MacKenzie Blackpool FC 15/10/1985
Charlie Mulgrew Celtic FC 06/03/1986
Lee Wallace Rangers FC 01/08/1987
Andy Webster Coventry City 23/04/1982
Steven Whittaker Norwich City

2013 friendliest:
Defender
Phil Bardsley Sunderland AFC 28/06/1985

http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/schottland-team/freundschaft-2014/2/

silverhibee
08-10-2017, 12:02 AM
2012 qualifiers:
Defender
Paul Caddis Birmingham City 19/04/1988
Gary Caldwell Wigan Athletic 12/04/1982
Paul Dixon Huddersfield Town 11/10/1986
Ricky Foster Rangers FC 31/07/1985
Danny Fox Southampton FC 29/05/1986
Steven Hammell Motherwell FC 18/02/1982 :rolleyes:
Gary MacKenzie Blackpool FC 15/10/1985 Never heard of him.

2013 friendliest:
Defender
Phil Bardsley Sunderland AFC 28/06/1985

http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/schottland-team/freundschaft-2014/2/

Cheers.

He should have clearly made the step up in to the squad when you see some of the names in these lists.

Dashing Bob S
08-10-2017, 12:17 AM
I like Paul but the fact he’s in the conversation -albeit on here- points the lack of talent in Scotland. Him, and just about every other centre back we have run the risk of being exposed at that level. Yet Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales have players of similar status and ability, who, through motivation and organization, can step up to do a job at that level.

I think there is a lot of useless dead wood in that Scotland squad. I think he’s worthy of a shot but probably not at this stage. I’d give him a Jersey in the next friendly.

Allant1981
08-10-2017, 06:51 AM

clearly not seeing as no scotland manager has ever picked him for a senior squad

brog
08-10-2017, 10:00 AM
clearly not seeing as no scotland manager has ever picked him for a senior squad

We're talking about Paul's current ability. As Paul was in his early 20's when Strachan took over it's really only Strachan that hasn't picked him. Strachan gets more like Craig Brown every day in that he continually contradicts himself. He said ( Of Russell Martin IIRC ) that it's hard to pick someone who's not getting a game for their club. That is unless your name is Ikechi Anya, Chris Martin or even Andy Robertson. Gordon Greer, ripped a new one by Benji & Fletch in 2007, was in a squad last season after hardly playing all season & getting freed by Brighton.
Separately if 3 of Strachan's Celtc players, Armstrong, Mulgrew & Gordon had done their job properly in the last 30 seconds versus England we would be in the play offs now & don't even start me on James Forrest. Hibs fans on Hibs Net say a Hibs player doesn't have the quality to play for Scotland but happily accept the garbage that is selected game in game out. Mind you if Scotty had remained at ER for his career I suspect there would be some on here who said he wasn't international class!

where'stheslope
08-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Difficult one for goalies and defenders is that they are always expected to play 90 minutes so it's not like they can play their way into teams. I think that he will get an opportunity soon though. If we qualify and that is a big if, then Strachan will need to look at all his options and Hanlon is good enough to make the first 40 or whatever the squad is before it is cut down. Other side is that if we miss out and then have to rebuild, there will be a few friendlies against teams looking for practice against physical European sides and he surely has to get a run out then.

Sorry to say, but if past selections for squad selections in big competitions is anything to go by, then Strachan will roll out the oldsters for their swansong!!!

Remember, McCoist in England for Euro's, he was finished but was brought back for his personal swansong? Though he did score a great goal back then.

The same old line will be produced, " tried and tested performers"! " not the time to try out new players"?

For years now we have only brought in new or young players when we are out of the running for major finals, Hanlon's best chance for call up is if someone is injured and not available to play in the finals!!!!

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Cheers.

He should have clearly made the step up in to the squad when you see some of the names in these lists.

Not really SH, he was being bullied by all sorts of journeymen throughout the years, it's only recently in the last couple of seasons he's brought a decent amount of consistency to his game, and remember the last 3 before this were in the 2nd tier in Scotland.

Allant1981
08-10-2017, 12:21 PM
We're talking about Paul's current ability. As Paul was in his early 20's when Strachan took over it's really only Strachan that hasn't picked him. Strachan gets more like Craig Brown every day in that he continually contradicts himself. He said ( Of Russell Martin IIRC ) that it's hard to pick someone who's not getting a game for their club. That is unless your name is Ikechi Anya, Chris Martin or even Andy Robertson. Gordon Greer, ripped a new one by Benji & Fletch in 2007, was in a squad last season after hardly playing all season & getting freed by Brighton.
Separately if 3 of Strachan's Celtc players, Armstrong, Mulgrew & Gordon had done their job properly in the last 30 seconds versus England we would be in the play offs now & don't even start me on James Forrest. Hibs fans on Hibs Net say a Hibs player doesn't have the quality to play for Scotland but happily accept the garbage that is selected game in game out. Mind you if Scotty had remained at ER for his career I suspect there would be some on here who said he wasn't international class!

im not saying he is any worse than berra etc, ive already mentioned that further up, does this mean he should be in the squad though? he isnt good enough in my opinion to play international football, good enough for the level he plays at but not any higher. Again my opinion and im sure others will disagree

Brightside
08-10-2017, 01:11 PM
im not saying he is any worse than berra etc, ive already mentioned that further up, does this mean he should be in the squad though? he isnt good enough in my opinion to play international football, good enough for the level he plays at but not any higher. Again my opinion and im sure others will disagree

This really makes no sense to me... "I'm not saying he is any worse than berra.....btu not good enough for international football" SO he is as good as the current no1 choice....but not good enough to play in your opinion. Is there other CHs in Scotland that are missing out then....or do we simply not have any players good enough at international level?

Firestarter
08-10-2017, 01:21 PM
I do rate hanlon and he's a fantastic player for us but he hasn't got it physically or technically to play at international level in my opinion nor any international or European experience. Sorry if that offends, it's not meant to.

Allant1981
08-10-2017, 01:30 PM
This really makes no sense to me... "I'm not saying he is any worse than berra.....btu not good enough for international football" SO he is as good as the current no1 choice....but not good enough to play in your opinion. Is there other CHs in Scotland that are missing out then....or do we simply not have any players good enough at international level?

i dont think berra is good enough to play international football either, not really hard to understand? do we just put someone in because he is as good as someone else? then we have even more bang average players in the squad

DavidDavidGray
08-10-2017, 01:34 PM
i dont think berra is good enough to play international football either, not really hard to understand? do we just put someone in because he is as good as someone else? then we have even more bang average players in the squad
He's saying he reckons Paul is good enough for the Scotland squad. We should have the best players possible in the squad. I personally would be more keen on Darren McGregor in the squad as I feel he's arguable be our best centre half. We're not gonna have a full squad full on international footballers who can all play at the top level, but we should have the best players in the squad

Allant1981
08-10-2017, 01:39 PM
He's saying he reckons Paul is good enough for the Scotland squad. We should have the best players possible in the squad. I personally would be more keen on Darren McGregor in the squad as I feel he's arguable be our best centre half. We're not gonna have a full squad full on international footballers who can all play at the top level, but we should have the best players in the squad

i agree we should have the best players in the squad, does paul hanlon come in to this category? just now i dont think so, i also think mcgregor is a better defender than hanlon but again is he really good enough for the national team? probably not, i think if hanlon leaves and proves himself at a higher level against better players then he might have a chance

supermcginn
08-10-2017, 01:39 PM

Are you his dad? When McGregor is back he will be lucky to play for us never mind Scotland.

brog
08-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Are you his dad? When McGregor is back he will be lucky to play for us never mind Scotland.

That's nonsense I'm afraid. Darren will be competing with Efe for the right sided central defender spot. Paul has made the left side his own even though on many occasions he had to play on the right to accommodate Liam. TBF to Berry he's doing similar for Scotland as Mulgrew is not capable of playing on right side.

B.H.F.C
08-10-2017, 04:54 PM

He's not international class but that is nonsence. When we play two centre halves it's Hanlon and one other.

SirDavidsNapper
08-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Tin hat on but i think those who say Hanlon is as good as Berra are wearing green tinted specs. It pains me to say it but Berra is more experienced, played at a higher level and is the better footballer. Paul is a good player and we are a better team when he's in it but I just don't think he's international level.

SideBurns
08-10-2017, 06:24 PM
As the OP I'm content to be accused of wearing green tinted gregories, but I did actually say I like Berra in a Scotland jersey but just think Paul is a better player. That is a matter of opinion and nothing more, but I wouldn't want Hanlon to replace Berra but rather to complement him.
Of course, after tonight almost everything is up for discussion, including the debate as to who will be making those decisions in the near future.

Pretty Boy
08-10-2017, 06:57 PM
Paul Hanlon is now world beater, neither is someone like Mark Reynolds at Aberdeen but both would surely be a better option than a guy turning out for a pish team in England's 3rd tier.

brog
08-10-2017, 07:06 PM
As the OP I'm content to be accused of wearing green tinted gregories, but I did actually say I like Berra in a Scotland jersey but just think Paul is a better player. That is a matter of opinion and nothing more, but I wouldn't want Hanlon to replace Berra but rather to complement him.
Of course, after tonight almost everything is up for discussion, including the debate as to who will be making those decisions in the near future.

I thought Berra did OK today but a couple of his attempts to clear the ball with his right foot were embarrassing. For a left sided player Paul is much more comfortable on his right side than either of the 2 current national team incumbents.

SideBurns
08-10-2017, 07:41 PM
I thought Berra did OK today but a couple of his attempts to clear the ball with his right foot were embarrassing. For a left sided player Paul is much more comfortable on his right side than either of the 2 current national team incumbents.

Brog, you've hit the nail on the head - Paul has made himself a better player by working on his weaker foot (why more professionals don't appear to deem this important is baffling) and is now able to play as the right sided CH in a partnership. That fact forms a big part of my case for Paul to be given a chance at a time when we are toiling for good central defenders.

Mibbes Aye
08-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Tin hat on but i think those who say Hanlon is as good as Berra are wearing green tinted specs. It pains me to say it but Berra is more experienced, played at a higher level and is the better footballer. Paul is a good player and we are a better team when he's in it but I just don't think he's international level.

I don't have an issue with Berra as such, but he was guilty of very poor defending at the second goal. Their guy bossed him to give himself the room to lay off the ball for the goal. Few others were guilty of ball-watching though.

To the extent that he's actually played as a right-back. It was a derby and we lost but I don't think he did too much wrong. I see him in the same vein as Lewis - they both have excellent match discipline and as a coach picking a team you crave that.

basehibby
09-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Paul Hanlon has been improving year on year and looks an accomplished and comfortable Center Half these days. I fully expect to see him get a call up in the next tranche of friendlies presuming he stays clear of injuries.

Brightside
09-10-2017, 11:24 AM

That’s a cracker.

LNHibs
09-10-2017, 11:27 AM
For me Berra is a much better centre back than Hanlon atm. Hes played nearly 100 games at Premie League level and over 200 at Championship. And by all accounts him and Mulgrew have been decent for us recently. Im not saying Hanlon doesnt deserve a call up but hes not our best centre half. Liam Cooper And Berra would be my favoured pairing.

--------
09-10-2017, 11:41 AM
I don't know whether Paul is good enough to play for Scotland on a regular basis, but the weak link in the team (apart from the manager's tactics and the way he sets up the team) is central defence. Mulgrew and Berra have little pace and last night they dropped deeper and deeper until they ended up playing almost on the goalkeeper's toes. If those guys get the regular places, I don't see why Paul shouldn't be given a fair and realistic try-out in the team.

If the centre-backs in that squad - Berra, Mulgrew and Hanley - are the best that Strachan can find qualified to play for Scotland, we are seriously and totally screwed. The only good thing about the situation is that Berra and Mulgrew are both about ready for the glue-factory. I wouldn't sell 'em to Pedigree - that wouldn't be fair on the dogs.

brog
09-10-2017, 01:40 PM
For me Berra is a much better centre back than Hanlon atm. Hes played nearly 100 games at Premie League level and over 200 at Championship. And by all accounts him and Mulgrew have been decent for us recently. Im not saying Hanlon doesnt deserve a call up but hes not our best centre half. Liam Cooper And Berra would be my favoured pairing.

What do you mean, "by all accounts", haven't you seen them? A serious question, have you ever seen Liam Cooper?

Stokesy's on fire
09-10-2017, 02:01 PM
Michael O'Halloran deserves a shot.

LNHibs
09-10-2017, 02:56 PM
What do you mean, "by all accounts", haven't you seen them? A serious question, have you ever seen Liam Cooper?

Yes they've kept 3 clean sheets in the last 5 games which id say is not a bad record, considering how bad everyone is making the out to be.

Yes I have and think he would be an upgrade on Mulgrew and hes captaining Leeds who are playing well.

brog
09-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Yes they've kept 3 clean sheets in the last 5 games which id say is not a bad record, considering how bad everyone is making the out to be.

Yes I have and think he would be an upgrade on Mulgrew and hes captaining Leeds who are playing well.

They've kept 3 clean sheets against 120 ranked Lithuania, 191 ranked Malta & Slovakia, who played with 10 men for over an hour. Unfortunately they were found wanting when it mattered. Re Cooper, personally I believe anyone would be an improvement on Mulgrew. I've seen Cooper, once, versus Brighton, & as I didn't even know he was "Scottish" at that time I didn't really focus on him. Suffice to say however he wasn't a stand out & Brighton won, 2-1 IIRC. I do believe however that some posters on here fall into the Strachan thinking that someone playing in England, or often even not playing, is always better than someone playing regularly in Scotland, Celtc excepted of course! The Scottish duck becomes an English swan when he crosses the border.

LNHibs
09-10-2017, 04:20 PM
They've kept 3 clean sheets against 120 ranked Lithuania, 191 ranked Malta & Slovakia, who played with 10 men for over an hour. Unfortunately they were found wanting when it mattered. Re Cooper, personally I believe anyone would be an improvement on Mulgrew. I've seen Cooper, once, versus Brighton, & as I didn't even know he was "Scottish" at that time I didn't really focus on him. Suffice to say however he wasn't a stand out & Brighton won, 2-1 IIRC. I do believe however that some posters on here fall into the Strachan thinking that someone playing in England, or often even not playing, is always better than someone playing regularly in Scotland, Celtc excepted of course! The Scottish duck becomes an English swan when he crosses the border.

Agree that opposition wasnt the best but we had failed to keep clean sheets against those three previously in the campaign so it has to be seen as an improvement. I dont feel like they played badly last night but agree we could do better.

I have seen a few games he looks decent and is playing at a high level in a succcesful team - if we are going on form players he surely needs to be up there. Hanlon is a good player but needs to prove himself at premier league level on a consistent basis to be in with a call up, but i do feel he should be considered at the least. .

weecounty hibby
09-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Very good post. Some of these guys who play in league two in England certainly wouldn't get a game for Celtic and would struggle to get a game for us and Aberdeen. Phillips looked woeful apart from about 15 minutes against Lithuania. Mullgrew has been ok but Hanlon is better in my opinion. Morrison, McArthur before McGinn or McGregor. Some of these guys can't even get a game for teams who are struggling

eastmainsmsh
09-10-2017, 09:15 PM
Its a shame he got injured i reckon he would be in the set up better than berra mulgrew and hanley any day

where'stheslope
10-10-2017, 10:47 AM
As I said in earlier post, now that we are out of the running we have to find out who will be the next Scotland team coach (if its not Strachan), they will be looking around for newer and hopefully younger players for the squad and that could give Hanlon a great chance to at least play in friendlies.

This of course depends on which ex Uglies manager they bring in!!!!

Brightside
14-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Hanlon outstanding today. How any of our own supporters can think he isn't good enough for Scotland is beyond me.

Hiber-nation
14-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Outstanding today, best player on the pitch by a mile.

frazeHFC
14-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Man of the match well deserved. He was brilliant today.

staunchhibby
14-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Hanlon was superb today.Well deserved man of match

Billy Whizz
14-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Outstanding today, best player on the pitch by a mile.

100% agree. Bossed both May and Rooney

Smartie
14-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Outstanding today, well-deserved MOTM.

I thought Ambrose was really good today as well, and that they actually looked like they were starting to form a solid partnership.

easty
14-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Hanlon outstanding today. How any of our own supporters can think he isn't good enough for Scotland is beyond me.

I've always been a huge Hanlon fan, doesn't surprise me that there are Hibs fans who don't rate him though, there were plenty who didn't rate Cummings either. You cannae please some people.

lord bunberry
14-10-2017, 05:48 PM
He was immense again today, I wouldn’t swap him for any other defender in the country. It’s a mystery that he hasn’t even been called up to the Scotland squad.

staunchhibby
14-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Thought big Marv played well today

LancsHibs
14-10-2017, 05:55 PM
By far our best player today. Should be in the next Scotland squad.

greenlex
14-10-2017, 06:00 PM
If Berra is good enough then Hanlon certainly is. I actually cannot believe his name isn’t mentioned in main stream conversations. I hear Souter and done kid at Rangers getting brought up. Are folk seriously suggesting he’s behind them? Is it because he’s been around so long folk think he’s older than he is? Baffling.