PDA

View Full Version : Argentina

ekhibee
06-10-2017, 03:03 PM
In 6th place going into the last round of qualifying matches next weekend. Doesn't look good. Drew 0-0 with Peru at home latest.

blackpoolhibs
06-10-2017, 03:19 PM
In 6th place going into the last round of qualifying matches next weekend. Doesn't look good. Drew 0-0 with Peru at home latest.

I was half listening to a radio station last week, and i might be wrong but im sure they mentioned if the did not beat Peru, they will probably have to go into a play off against New Zealand to qualify.

Thats ridiculous if true, they would have real trouble not qualifying from South America?

Mikey
06-10-2017, 03:30 PM
I was half listening to a radio station last week, and i might be wrong but im sure they mentioned if the did not beat Peru, they will probably have to go into a play off against New Zealand to qualify.

Thats ridiculous if true, they would have real trouble not qualifying from South America?

Top 4 qualify, 5th goes to the play off and 6th is oot.

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-10-2017, 03:39 PM
I think 3rd play 4th so as long as Argentina win their match they'll be guaranteed a play off place at least.

There's only a couple of points between 2nd-6th
Crazy situation for them considering the talent in their squad

hibsbollah
06-10-2017, 03:48 PM
It could be a world cup without Messi or Ronaldo!

Added to that the USA are struggling to qualify, African champions Cameroon knocked out, probably no Chile either (loved watching Chile last time), and probably no Holland.

Im hoping Peru make it. Love that strip:not worth

ekhibee
06-10-2017, 03:50 PM
I think 3rd play 4th so as long as Argentina win their match they'll be guaranteed a play off place at least.

There's only a couple of points between 2nd-6th
Crazy situation for them considering the talent in their squad
Yep, fair points, but the fact that they couldn't even beat Peru in Argentina doesn't exactly bode well.

Ryan69
06-10-2017, 03:51 PM

2 games togo isnt it?

Plus theres 2 points seperating 3rd and 7th.

Would be funny if they didnt make it....as my Girlfriend is Chilean.
But im sure they will do just enough.

blackpoolhibs
06-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Top 4 qualify, 5th goes to the play off and 6th is oot.

:aok:

heretoday
06-10-2017, 03:59 PM
They'll manage it. The Russians will make it so.

ekhibee
06-10-2017, 04:08 PM
2 games togo isnt it?

Plus theres 2 points seperating 3rd and 7th.

Would be funny if they didnt make it....as my Girlfriend is Chilean.
But im sure they will do just enough.
Next week has the final matchday, so it probably is just 1 game left. Chile winning against Ecuador forced Argentina out of the qualifying places and down to 6th!

Mikey
06-10-2017, 04:13 PM
If they win in Ecuador they'll be fine and it looks like a draw would be enough too. They're out if they lose though.

worcesterhibby
06-10-2017, 04:21 PM
If they win in Ecuador they'll be fine and it looks like a draw would be enough too. They're out if they lose though.

Tell Ulises de la Cruz.. to get his boots back on..he has a job to do !

Mibbes Aye
06-10-2017, 04:33 PM
It could be a world cup without Messi or Ronaldo!

Added to that the USA are struggling to qualify, African champions Cameroon knocked out, probably no Chile either (loved watching Chile last time), and probably no Holland.

Im hoping Peru make it. Love that strip:not worth

:agree:

Classic, especially the 78 version.

Would love Hibs to adopt a similar top as an away strip, maybe with a purple diagonal stripe instead of red.

hibsbollah
06-10-2017, 05:08 PM
:agree:

Classic, especially the 78 version.

Would love Hibs to adopt a similar top as an away strip, maybe with a purple diagonal stripe instead of red.

The current Peru jersey hasn't changed much to be honest, very similar. I used to have a River Plate jersey from Toffs that was almost identical to Peru 78 (sadly they took to emblazoning the Budweiser logo all over the front. Sacrilege).

Argentinas forwards are just ridiculous... Icardi Dybala Higuain Sergio Aguero Messi and di Maria but they can't score goals, less than a goal a game in the qualifiers which is why they're struggling. Weird.

Brazil - Chile and Peru - Colombia are massive games on Wednesday. Hopefully they might turn up on a stream somewhere.

IlDiavola
06-10-2017, 05:11 PM
Can't imagine a World Cup without Argentina.

Hope they get there.

Pretty Boy
06-10-2017, 05:14 PM
The current Peru jersey hasn't changed much to be honest, very similar. I used to have a River Plate jersey from Toffs that was almost identical to Peru 78 (sadly they took to emblazoning the Budweiser logo all over the front. Sacrilege).

Argentinas forwards are just ridiculous... Icardi Dybala Higuain Sergio Aguero Messi and di Maria but they can't score goals, less than a goal a game in the qualifiers which is why they're struggling. Weird.

Brazil - Chile and Peru - Colombia are massive games on Wednesday. Hopefully they might turn up on a stream somewhere.

Love the Peru strip because it reminds me of the Rayo Vallecano top.

Forget Barcelona; Rayo Vallecano are the real anti establishments, non conformist club in Spain.

Mibbes Aye
06-10-2017, 05:24 PM

Argentina has a plethora of decent-looking club tops, pro rata they must be at the front of the pack.

Agree that there's some ridiculous talent up top for them, they maybe lack the strength in midfield that previous Argentinian teams had though.

Anyways, talking about Argentina and World Cups necessitates posting the footage of one of my favourite goals of all time. Cambiasso against Serbia in 2006 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COe5Y29-BZY), simply a thing of beauty.

CockneyRebel
06-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Argentina has a plethora of decent-looking club tops, pro rata they must be at the front of the pack.

Agree that there's some ridiculous talent up top for them, they maybe lack the strength in midfield that previous Argentinian teams had though.

Anyways, talking about Argentina and World Cups necessitates posting the footage of one of my favourite goals of all time. Cambiasso against Serbia in 2006 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COe5Y29-BZY), simply a thing of beauty.

Not too shabby

Glory Lurker
06-10-2017, 05:57 PM
Argentina not making it would be quite funny, so I hope that's what happens. Have to think they'd be likely to get past NZ no problem, sadly.

As for Peru, it was our own fault they hammered us (and they were a good side anyway), but I could never, ever bring myself to want them to do well!

Weir07
06-10-2017, 06:11 PM

Forget Barcelona; Rayo Vallecano are the real anti establishments, non conformist club in Spain.

Was in Madrid about 20 years ago and went to see Rayo, Kasey Keller was in goal for them, they play in a working class area of Madrid and the ground only has three stands but it was a good experience, cool wee club and I only have admiration for their support with Real and Athletico on their doorstep.

Hi Heid Yin
06-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Too much history with Argentina, both on and off the park, to want them to qualify for any tournament.
They have produced talented individuals but the cynical and dirty collective animal lurks just beneath the surface, ready to explode at any given time.

hibsbollah
06-10-2017, 06:26 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COe5Y29-BZY

Mibbes Aye
06-10-2017, 06:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COe5Y29-BZY

:thumbsup:

majorhibs
06-10-2017, 08:01 PM

Di Maria? Heart of a mouse! Never liked him & fail to see why the hype. Him & that other cheat robben below even ranking for me, Just dislike.

scm70nyd1973
06-10-2017, 08:52 PM
Argentina not making it would be quite funny, so I hope that's what happens. Have to think they'd be likely to get past NZ no problem, sadly.

As for Peru, it was our own fault they hammered us (and they were a good side anyway), but I could never, ever bring myself to want them to do well!

Yes it would be sad - a rerun of '82 in Russia would be great - a game as I was at ! Mibbies I will get to see NZ v Argentina over here which would be good.

IberianHibernian
06-10-2017, 09:38 PM

Forget Barcelona; Rayo Vallecano are the real anti establishments, non conformist club in Spain.Agree about Rayo . Great club with great support though don`t think there`s any particularly political tone to their support except being in a working - class part of Madrid ( Vallecas ) where a lot of the people are " immigrants " from poorer parts of Spain particularly Andalusia . Would certainly never compare their support with FC Barcelona - suppose 90% of Rayo`s support will be from that side of Madrid while Barca are obviously financed by fans from all over the world most of whom wouldn`t know Catalonia from Canberra .

Alex Trager
06-10-2017, 11:42 PM

The more anti fascists in the world te better no?

The scenes last weekend shocked me beyond what I ever imagined would happen Europe

Alex Trager
06-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Too much history with Argentina, both on and off the park, to want them to qualify for any tournament.
They have produced talented individuals but the cynical and dirty collective animal lurks just beneath the surface, ready to explode at any given time.

Is that you Terry?

Fisherrow Harp
07-10-2017, 02:24 AM

Now that's a big thumbs up for me mate!

Fisherrow Harp
07-10-2017, 02:30 AM
Agree about Rayo . Great club with great support though don`t think there`s any particularly political tone to their support except being in a working - class part of Madrid ( Vallecas ) where a lot of the people are " immigrants " from poorer parts of Spain particularly Andalusia . Would certainly never compare their support with FC Barcelona - suppose 90% of Rayo`s support will be from that side of Madrid while Barca are obviously financed by fans from all over the world most of whom wouldn`t know Catalonia from Canberra .

Very good comment, though before and during the civil war, Andalusia was a hot bed of Anarchism. FAI and CNT a lot to do with their trade unions. Viva La Quinta Brigada and all that😀

Forza Fred
07-10-2017, 03:49 AM

Not the first time Argentina have had to battle it out with the Oceania group winners to make the World Cup finals.

In 1993 they got through the play offs winning 1-0 in Buenos Aries thanks the sponges T o.g. I have seen, after drawing 1-1 in Sydney.

They may not have had Messi then, but Maradona and Batitusta were in their side.

Ronniekirk
07-10-2017, 07:32 AM
They aren't good enough st present New Manager needs time to change things Been too reliant on Messi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
07-10-2017, 07:30 PM

Bilbao, surely?