PDA

View Full Version : Dads and Sons

KSA Hibee
05-10-2017, 12:56 PM
I had the pleasure of welcoming my first grand child into the world in March .. a fine big strapping boy.

On the night of his birth baby, Mum and Dad were surrounded at one stage by 12 visitors desperate to welcome our families new addition to the world ... the vast majority of us die in the wool Hibs fans who had been together in the same row on that magical May Day.

Hoping to add another to clan ... just like his mum, we had one small problem ... his dad !!

As much as I love the fella he sadly is not one of us and his loyalties are tangerine and based in Dundee.

Since that special day of his birth I have longed to buy wee Charlie as much Hibs bumff as possible but have not ... I respect his Dad to much and would hate anyone “doing it to me”

Trips to the Hibs shop and elsewhere have seen me leave empty handed and feeling melancholy about seeing the wee fella in something “green”.

I will continue to resist the urge to buy but dream of the day when the wee fella can join in with the Hibs side of his mums family.

Anyone else share this dilemma?... have you cracked and bought anyway? ... or is having 2 teams an option?

Still ... it could be worse... at least his smashing dad is not a yam🙏🙏

Colr
05-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Dundee United were Dundee Hibernian.

Plenty kids have more than one team.

thebakerboy
05-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Have the same problem with my grandson , he is 7 now and had his picture taken with me and the cup but his Dad is from Aberdeen and a massive Dons fan. I have tried but his only big game was at the PBS when they played the Dons last year. Dont know the answer but I keep pushing.

Broken Gnome
05-10-2017, 01:27 PM
We've attempted something of an even split between my side and a Raith-daft in-laws. The wee one belts out WHEN THE HIBS, WENT UP... any time she hears the word 'cup' though.

Hibs'll win out. Have faith.

Peevemor
05-10-2017, 01:38 PM
In a similar vein, both my daughters were born here in France their mum is French.

The elder (almost 13) had English homework to do this weekend where she and a friend had to introduce themselves on film.

At one point my daughter said "I'm Scottish and French" to which her pal replied "and I'm only French"

I thought that sent a strong but subtle message. :aok:

heretoday
05-10-2017, 02:36 PM
You think you've got problems. The wife's family are all Jambos - including her!

I've managed to get my lad on our side though.

Bristolhibby
05-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Missus has no interest in football. Both boys are Hibees. Try to get up in the holidays and take them to watch Hibs when I can.

J

H18 SFR
05-10-2017, 03:37 PM
Genuinely feel for you. When I had my child the in-laws had ideas. I had to have a quiet word in their ear not to even think about considering being a dick as I put it.

As in your case when the shoe is on the other foot so to speak it will be hard for you.

Keith_M
05-10-2017, 04:05 PM
My brother, who has no genuine interest in football and is now a rugby fan, went through a phase when he was in his teens of saying he was a Hearts Supporter. He was influenced by his friends at school and my Grandad.

My Dad's a Hibby but still bought us football related merchandise at Christmas times, Hibs stuff for me and Hearts stuff for him. I don't know how he could bring himself to do it.

I relish teaching the children of friends and relatives Hibs songs, so they can go home and annoy their parents. :wink:

I've also bought Hibs related merchandise, T-Shirts and the like, for the kids of German friends. This obviously isn't such a big deal, as you can be both a Dynamo Dresden or 1860 supporter and a Hibby.

lyonhibs
05-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Not an issue for my as yet unconceived spawn as my in-laws couldn't care less about football.

CockneyRebel
05-10-2017, 04:26 PM
I had the pleasure of welcoming my first grand child into the world in March .. a fine big strapping boy.

On the night of his birth baby, Mum and Dad were surrounded at one stage by 12 visitors desperate to welcome our families new addition to the world ... the vast majority of us die in the wool Hibs fans who had been together in the same row on that magical May Day.

Hoping to add another to clan ... just like his mum, we had one small problem ... his dad !!

As much as I love the fella he sadly is not one of us and his loyalties are tangerine and based in Dundee.

Since that special day of his birth I have longed to buy wee Charlie as much Hibs bumff as possible but have not ... I respect his Dad to much and would hate anyone “doing it to me”

Trips to the Hibs shop and elsewhere have seen me leave empty handed and feeling melancholy about seeing the wee fella in something “green”.

I will continue to resist the urge to buy but dream of the day when the wee fella can join in with the Hibs side of his mums family.

Anyone else share this dilemma?... have you cracked and bought anyway? ... or is having 2 teams an option?

My grandson's father is a staunch Jambo so no chance of a new recruit. Like you I have had to take a step back but it's really hard.

Alfiembra
05-10-2017, 04:41 PM

Get him a Frazer Fyvie and/or a James Keatings top. :aok:

Hillsidehibby
05-10-2017, 05:05 PM
No disrespect but if anyone tried to influence my laddie i'd be telling him to do one. Even if it was my own dad, who was a jambo I may add.

DH1875
05-10-2017, 05:50 PM
I'm the only Hibs fan in my entire family. Didn't know my Grandad's as they both past away before I was born. My dad and my step dad are huns and so are my brother and sister. My mum and her 2 brothers are all celtic fans and so are my cousins. My 2 daughters are Barcelona fans although I've a feeling the eldest is also a closet celtic fan.

Me? I was born lucky so I'm hibby :thumbsup:

SouthMoroccoStu
05-10-2017, 07:46 PM
When I was 5 my dad he took me down to Easter Road, he lifted me up high upon his s shoulders...

Ilovehibs
05-10-2017, 08:16 PM
I'm the only Hibs fan in my entire family. Didn't know my Grandad's as they both past away before I was born. My dad and my step dad are huns and so are my brother and sister. My mum and her 2 brothers are all celtic fans and so are my cousins. My 2 daughters are Barcelona fans although I've a feeling the eldest is also a closet celtic fan.

Me? I was born lucky so I'm hibby :thumbsup:

Top man. Good on you. You must have had a rare time post cup final!

SaudiHibby
06-10-2017, 07:22 AM
KSA my new grandson (being born today we think) and your slightly older grandson will both grow up to be Hibbies together. With our combined oversight you know it will happen. Relax ma man.:flag:

edinburghhibee
06-10-2017, 09:26 AM
All her side are jambos all mine hibees.... there's only one winner there, I'm no worried!

My two nieces call the soft play in Leith gods country which really really annoys their dad [emoji16] **** him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeanWilson
06-10-2017, 10:37 AM
My nephews dad is a rotten, horrible, bouncy singing Hun. My whole faimily are hibees, including my sister - me and my old man have not been shy in the influencing department😁

hibbiedon
06-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Both my daughters are staunch Hibs fans, both granddaughters and grandson are Hibs
So no problems

hibbiedon
06-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Both my daughters are staunch Hibs fans, both granddaughters and grandson are Hibs
So no problems

JeMeSouviens
06-10-2017, 02:33 PM
I think you are doing the right thing in backing off* but should his Dad fail to get him along to Tannadice in years to come then the Hibby side has a chance. Going to games is likely to be what hooks him for one side or the other.

* my f-in-law was a Yam (a thorougly decent guy but ...)