View Full Version : Lennon blinks?

JeMeSouviens
04-10-2017, 11:25 AM
This is quite interesting (if a touch geeky):

http://celticbynumberscom.ipage.com/celtic-brink-lennon-blinks/

Carheenlea
04-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Enjoyed this part

" Although not their lowest of the season, Celtic were restricted to 475 completed passes. They average 642 in domestic football. Celtic dominated possession as they always do but Hibernians 39% is the most by any Scottish team this season. Unsurprisingly their Possession Effectiveness Index (PEI) was a season high for Celtic opponents of 69%.

And it wasn’t just about defensive shape. Hibernian completed 240 passes, the most Celtic have allowed.

Celtic had not conceded more than 1 goal in any game in Scotland. And despite scoring 2 themselves, no team has restricted Celtic to a lower Expected Goals (xG) than 0.752. Celtic average 1.85 xG.

No Scottish side has outshot Celtic this season, but Hibernian managed 53% of all shots and 55% of all shots on target. Their 6 on target is also a season high against an opponent’s average of 2.1. Celtic’s 7 shots from inside the box is a season low, whilst the 10 they allowed in the box the visitors is a season high against. Even Paris Saint-Germain only had 8.

Hibernian dominated the chances created stats. Creating 16 chances to 12, they had an Expected Assists (xA) of 1.49, against an average of 0.493 by Celtic opponents.

With so many players committed to attack, the Hibees managed 21 possessions in the box. The nearest Celtic have faced this season is 13 at Kilmarnock. Paris Saint-Germain did manage 27, by the way.

More Celtic defenders were “packed” (bypassed by a successful pass or dribble) than in any other domestic match – 17.

The away side’s successful pressing strategy is highlighted by Celtic being dispossessed a season high 32 times."

danhibees1875
04-10-2017, 11:48 AM
That was a really interesting read. :agree: I look forward to reading similarly how we improved on these to dump them out the League cup in a few weeks.

SRHibs
04-10-2017, 11:55 AM
That was a superb read. There aren’t enough strategy related in-depth features when it comes to football - Scottish football anyway.

Thecat23
04-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Good read, they only way to defend against teams like Celtic is attack and press high. Force them into mistakes and take the game to them.

lyonhibs
04-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Very interesting article, highlighting what I saw happen live immediately after we scored our 2nd

I quote: "A minute after scoring, Hibernian have fallen back giving Celtic less distance to connect to the creatives for the first time in the match. Why change?"

Also shows how dozy Slivka was for the first goal.

Still a great performance, the likes of which Celtic certainly haven't been used to from a domestic team at Parkhead these past few years.

hulk
04-10-2017, 12:10 PM
This is quite interesting (if a touch geeky):

http://celticbynumberscom.ipage.com/celtic-brink-lennon-blinks/

Great article and actually balanced and unbiased. This article highlights clearly that Lennon got his tactics spot.

Deansy
04-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Very interesting article, highlighting what I saw happen live immediately after we scored our 2nd

I quote: "A minute after scoring, Hibernian have fallen back giving Celtic less distance to connect to the creatives for the first time in the match. Why change?"

Also shows how dozy Slivka was for the first goal.

Still a great performance, the likes of which Celtic certainly haven't been used to from a domestic team at Parkhead these past few years.

Something we've been guilty of for a long time - having the upper-hand, scoring but then immediately faling back into defence !. We really need to find that 'Killer touch' !

superfurryhibby
04-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Something we've been guilty of for a long time - having the upper-hand, scoring but then immediately faling back into defence !. We really need to find that 'Killer touch' !

Maybe so, but I suspect that there would be analysis which shows that patterns of games change after goals and that there are other causal factors which might be more linked to things that we aren't fully in control of. I can't quite find the words to express what I mean, but the kind of depth of analysis attached to the article shows how sophisticated observations can become.

Great reading. Certainly gives some perspective on how well we performed on Saturday.

Firestarter
04-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Celtic will use our peformance of how to expect for the hardest test domestically I've no doubt. Saturday was a big big chance.

houstonhibbee
04-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Similar to hamiltons tactics at Easter road a few weeks agonthat eared them a win.

its how to win games that we dominate by taking our chances and defend better that is our failing

04-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Good article but I don't think Lennon 'blinked'. I think the front three just dropped off subconsciously due to just taking the lead.

KWJ
04-10-2017, 01:23 PM
That was a superb read. There aren’t enough strategy related in-depth features when it comes to football - Scottish football anyway.

Yup, really good read and well put together. As someone in the comments said - dispassionate.

banchoryhibs
04-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Really good analysis... I go to games and watch the Hibs. Sadly I can't see the fine detail of the shapes and tactics that "fitba people" see.
This article shows how much knowledge and thought goes into each game. Neil Lennon is indeed a very good manager!

Jack Hackett
04-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Really good analysis... I go to games and watch the Hibs. Sadly I can't see the fine detail of the shapes and tactics that "fitba people" see.
This article shows how much knowledge and thought goes into each game. Neil Lennon is indeed a very good manager!

... And Hibs are a very good team

Arch Stanton
04-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Ambrose certainly got away with one. Mind you I reckon Forrest might have too - I wonder if WC was just evening things up.

Really good read - not only is he a good analyst but explains things well.

NAE NOOKIE
04-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Very interesting and showed how Hibs tactics worked so well on the day, with Celtic only managing to score when a midfielder ( Slivka ) failed to track his man and when we dropped back after going ahead, though I agree with another poster that that might have been just a natural reaction rather than a deliberate move by Neil Lennon.

I would imagine we will look to play the same way at Hampden, though it will be more difficult to sustain that high pressure game on Hampden's bigger pitch. Its interesting to note that Aberdeen were doing very well in last seasons cup final with the same sort of game plan until they ran out of steam in the last 20 minutes.

This type of game is clearly one Celtic find far more difficult to deal with than the usual 10 men behind the ball in their own half style most teams approach them with. Even if they are more prepared for how Hibs are likely to play I doubt they will change a lot, banking on the fact that Brown and Armstrong being back and starting with Griffiths up front will give them the personnel they need to overcome any system. The one thing this system will do is make it far more difficult for Brown to stroll about the midfield they way he is allowed to do normally .... should be interesting :greengrin

ancient hibee
04-10-2017, 05:30 PM
Maybe so, but I suspect that there would be analysis which shows that patterns of games change after goals and that there are other causal factors which might be more linked to things that we aren't fully in control of. I can't quite find the words to express what I mean, but the kind of depth of analysis attached to the article shows how sophisticated observations can become.

Great reading. Certainly gives some perspective on how well we performed on Saturday.

Maybe when a team loses a goal and then therefore has control of it from kick off it is likely they will push forward and the other team falls back?

The_Horde
04-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Very interesting and showed how Hibs tactics worked so well on the day, with Celtic only managing to score when a midfielder ( Slivka ) failed to track his man and when we dropped back after going ahead, though I agree with another poster that that might have been just a natural reaction rather than a deliberate move by Neil Lennon.

I would imagine we will look to play the same way at Hampden, though it will be more difficult to sustain that high pressure game on Hampden's bigger pitch. Its interesting to note that Aberdeen were doing very well in last seasons cup final with the same sort of game plan until they ran out of steam in the last 20 minutes.

This type of game is clearly one Celtic find far more difficult to deal with than the usual 10 men behind the ball in their own half style most teams approach them with. Even if they are more prepared for how Hibs are likely to play I doubt they will change a lot, banking on the fact that Brown and Armstrong being back and starting with Griffiths up front will give them the personnel they need to overcome any system. The one thing this system will do is make it far more difficult for Brown to stroll about the midfield they way he is allowed to do normally .... should be interesting :greengrin

Bartley to smash brown into tomorrow. Please.

Souter96Mac
04-10-2017, 05:40 PM

Hopefully Celtic will be shattered after playing at full throttle against Bayern earlier in the week as well!

Mantis Toboggan
04-10-2017, 05:50 PM
Hopefully Celtic will be shattered after playing at full throttle against Bayern earlier in the week as well!

That's got to be a factor, both for the game at the weekend and the semi. We need to take advantage of that as much as possible by pressing hard.

superfurryhibby
04-10-2017, 05:57 PM
Maybe when a team loses a goal and then therefore has control of it from kick off it is likely they will push forward and the other team falls back?

Aye, probably as simple as that. There is a psychological factor maybe. Teams want to hold onto a lead and unconcsciously they drop deeper.

Vini1875
05-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Aye, probably as simple as that. There is a psychological factor maybe. Teams want to hold onto a lead and unconcsciously they drop deeper.

I think it is something Hibs have done for a while and you would guess that it would be an easy thing to counter.

So score and then immediately go for the jugular and score again right away. Put it in the players minds that they cannot rest or allow opponents any advantage. Game momentum can swing so easily.

NAE NOOKIE
05-10-2017, 12:21 PM
Bartley to smash brown into tomorrow. Please.

As I've said on other threads, I would rather see Hibs put John McGinn on Brown and try to nullify him that way ... the big thing in Brown's game is his ability to find space and keep Celtic's movement through the midfield or out to the wings going ... he rarely does anything spectacular, but he is the fulcrum for much of what they do when he's on the pitch.

Bartley is too deep lying a player to put on Brown and far less likely to be able to maximise any advantage he could gain by winning the ball from him ... I would rather see Marv covering the back 4. SJM has the physicality to easily cope with Brown's 'robust' style of play and has the ability to make good use of the ball when he wins it.

The other thing in this scenario is that Brown is a player used to getting his own way on the pitch, in 90% or more of games he can stroll about pinging the ball all over the place under little or no pressure because everything is in front of him .... the longer SJM can nullify and frustrate him the more chance his notoriously short fuse will become a factor ..... I'm aware that to an extent all this will limit McGinn's freedom to play as well, but IMO its a role he would revel in and he is a clever enough player to get free of Brown when Hibs are in possession.

theonlywayisup
05-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Enjoyed this part

" Although not their lowest of the season, Celtic were restricted to 475 completed passes. They average 642 in domestic football. Celtic dominated possession as they always do but Hibernians 39% is the most by any Scottish team this season. Unsurprisingly their Possession Effectiveness Index (PEI) was a season high for Celtic opponents of 69%.

And it wasn’t just about defensive shape. Hibernian completed 240 passes, the most Celtic have allowed.

Celtic had not conceded more than 1 goal in any game in Scotland. And despite scoring 2 themselves, no team has restricted Celtic to a lower Expected Goals (xG) than 0.752. Celtic average 1.85 xG.

No Scottish side has outshot Celtic this season, but Hibernian managed 53% of all shots and 55% of all shots on target. Their 6 on target is also a season high against an opponent’s average of 2.1. Celtic’s 7 shots from inside the box is a season low, whilst the 10 they allowed in the box the visitors is a season high against. Even Paris Saint-Germain only had 8.

Hibernian dominated the chances created stats. Creating 16 chances to 12, they had an Expected Assists (xA) of 1.49, against an average of 0.493 by Celtic opponents.

With so many players committed to attack, the Hibees managed 21 possessions in the box. The nearest Celtic have faced this season is 13 at Kilmarnock. Paris Saint-Germain did manage 27, by the way.

More Celtic defenders were “packed” (bypassed by a successful pass or dribble) than in any other domestic match – 17.

The away side’s successful pressing strategy is highlighted by Celtic being dispossessed a season high 32 times."

Is there similar stats for the Celtic - Hertz game at the start of the season?

Mikey
05-10-2017, 01:06 PM
That's an excellent article and there's obviously a lot of work that goes into producing them. Here's a "Scouting Report" on SJM's performance in the match........

http://celticbynumberscom.ipage.com/scouting-report-john-mcginn-hibernian/

SanFranHibs
05-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Do players and coaches review video of the matches to analyse them?

JeMeSouviens
05-10-2017, 02:27 PM

http://celticbynumberscom.ipage.com/griffiths-bites-back/

dangermouse
05-10-2017, 03:05 PM

This is a myth. The pitch at Hampden is the same size as Celtic Park (115 x 75 yds) and not that much bigger than Easter Road (112 x 74 yds)

NAE NOOKIE
05-10-2017, 05:05 PM
This is a myth. The pitch at Hampden is the same size as Celtic Park (115 x 75 yds) and not that much bigger than Easter Road (112 x 74 yds)

Well, there you go then ....... who would have thought you could fit as many Hibs fans on the pitch at Celtic park as you can at Hampden :greengrin

ancient hibee
05-10-2017, 09:00 PM
As I've said on other threads, I would rather see Hibs put John McGinn on Brown and try to nullify him that way ... the big thing in Brown's game is his ability to find space and keep Celtic's movement through the midfield or out to the wings going ... he rarely does anything spectacular, but he is the fulcrum for much of what they do when he's on the pitch.

Bartley is too deep lying a player to put on Brown and far less likely to be able to maximise any advantage he could gain by winning the ball from him ... I would rather see Marv covering the back 4. SJM has the physicality to easily cope with Brown's 'robust' style of play and has the ability to make good use of the ball when he wins it.

The other thing in this scenario is that Brown is a player used to getting his own way on the pitch, in 90% or more of games he can stroll about pinging the ball all over the place under little or no pressure because everything is in front of him .... the longer SJM can nullify and frustrate him the more chance his notoriously short fuse will become a factor ..... I'm aware that to an extent all this will limit McGinn's freedom to play as well, but IMO its a role he would revel in and he is a clever enough player to get free of Brown when Hibs are in possession.

Exactly as Brown used to play on top of Lennon.

Joe6-2
05-10-2017, 09:14 PM

Don't think they would be similar 😂😂😂

IWasThere2016
06-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Still gutted my 2-3 Hibs bet didn't land. I genuinely fancied Hibs to out think the Lesser Limes.