PDA

View Full Version : Is This Boy On Drugs?

Sergey
03-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Someone really should have a word in this lads ear. Just whisper Iceland and tell him to smell the coffee from Costa Rica.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12010/11065403/marcus-rashford-believes-england-can-win-the-world-cup-in-russia

Sir David Gray
03-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Even sweeter when they exit at the quarter final stage again.

HIBERNIAN-0762
03-10-2017, 12:15 PM
More chance of the yams paying back all the money they owe.

****ing hilarious...:hilarious:hilarious:hilarious

Hibernia&Alba
03-10-2017, 12:27 PM
It's just another example of the inane rubbish that footballers come out with. If you asked them whether they could win the Super Bowl or the Ryder Cup, they'd say yes. I ignore everything they say and will never listen to post-match interviews. You can feel your IQ dropping as footballers speak.

Future17
03-10-2017, 12:28 PM
It look unlikely, based on recent performances, but it's certainly possible. They're probably in a group of eight nations that could conceivably win it.

They certainly have the squad to do it and some of the other traditional contenders have been struggling for form (and results) recently.

I would make Germany favourites, with Brazil, France and Belgium as outsiders. England at 25/1 seems like great odds though.

Smartie
03-10-2017, 12:33 PM
They're pish, and it's nonsense like this that makes it so funny when they inevitably exit on penalties to Portugal.

(Before you English boys react - you'll get your fun over the next week when we gloriously fail to even reach the playoffs).

Hibernia&Alba
03-10-2017, 12:34 PM
It look unlikely, based on recent performances, but it's certainly possible. They're probably in a group of eight nations that could conceivably win it.

They certainly have the squad to do it and some of the other traditional contenders have been struggling for form (and results) recently.

I would make Germany favourites, with Brazil, France and Belgium as outsiders. England at 25/1 seems like great odds though.

Naw, mate; naw. It's not happening and isn't worthy of a serious conversation, IMO. It's another footballer talking nonsense.

CockneyRebel
03-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Someone really should have a word in this lads ear. Just whisper Iceland and tell him to smell the coffee from Costa Rica.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12010/11065403/marcus-rashford-believes-england-can-win-the-world-cup-in-russia
I think you should read it again - he says they want to go into the competition with a game plan to try and win it. Why do you find that so worthy of ridicule? The headline, as usual, does not reflect the player's actual words but you based your post on it. I see no boasting or pipe dreams there.

Hibernia&Alba
03-10-2017, 12:47 PM
I think you should read it again - he says they want to go into the competition with a game plan to try and win it. Why do you find that so worthy of ridicule? The headline, as usual, does not reflect the player's actual words but you based your post on it. I see no boasting or pipe dreams there.

Mate, it's just the same as a reporter asking a Celtic player whether they could win the Champions League, or asking a Hibs player if we can win the SPL.......
"Yeah, the lads have confidence. If we play well and have a bit of luck......." etc etc etc. The clichés of "there's no reason why not" and "we've got a great group of lads" etc.

The journalist is wasting his own time and the player's.

Michael
03-10-2017, 12:53 PM
If Greece can will the Euros then England can win the world cup. They won't though.

SanFranHibs
03-10-2017, 12:56 PM

Maybe it's just the usual World Cup non-story. A journalist puts a few ingratiating, tried and trusted words into a players mouth, throws in Bobby Charlton and the Three Lions and 'the needle returns to the start of the song and they all go along like before'.

What I found amusing was reading the 'building a squad' comment . Appreciating there may be injuries and some player might come on the scene like a comet in the night sky, but one would hope that the squad has been 'built' long before the final 2 games of qualification. I think most countries who qualify will pretty much be taking who got them there.

I think Germany will win it, also finish second and probably third !!

If Scotland can qualify we have a tiny chance in that it has been so long since we qualified the opposing coaches wont know a thing about us. No-one is left in the game since we were last at the dance. 'Who are they? Where are they from?' 'Archie Gemmill? Oh, now I remember. The Rangers 2012 and Celtic. Glas-cow'.

blackpoolhibs
03-10-2017, 12:58 PM
With that back four, keeper and Jordan Henderson, i have more chance of winning the lottery.

lugz
03-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Don't know what else you'd expect a young confident player to say. What is the point in him flying to Russia to take part if he thinks they can't win it.

NAE NOOKIE
03-10-2017, 03:17 PM

England are always in a group of eight nations that could conceivably win it ... with the exception of a couple of tournaments where they either didn't qualify or where they actually faced the fact they didn't have a good enough squad.

They have a super player in Harry Kane and a guy with real potential in Rashford who seems to get better every time you see him. But the rest of them are no better than decent players whose transfer fees and wages have been inflated to way beyond their actual worth ... you could exempt Deli Ali from that group if it wasn't for the fact that he is so easily wound up and liable to a stupid action, such as his dive at the weekend, that he is a sending off waiting to happen.

Their lack of options up front is nothing short of incredible when you look at it .... if Rashford, or heaven forbid Kane, were to get injured who comes in? Troy Deeney? Jermain Defoe? Sturridge?, a guy more injury prone than I am ..... This is what happens when you have a league packed with super expensive foreign imports, it might give you 'the best league in the world' ... what it doesn't give you is the best national team in the world .... and England's failure to make a dent in either the Euros or the World cup in the last quarter of a century supports that theory.

I wouldn't put a bad penny on them even making the semis.

PS
You can sympathise with young English players to an extent, insomuch as the flood of foreign imports must be severely limiting their chances to develop .... But you would think that being the case clubs in Spain, France, Italy and Germany would be looking to snap up these underused talents .... they cant because these guys are picking up massive wages that a lot of these mid ranged European clubs cant or are unwilling match.

I recently heard the 'football experts' on Talk Sport bemoaning the fact that a young English player was having his chances of breaking through at his EPL club hampered because he was only on loan at ............... wait for this .......... Borussia Moenchengladbach ....... that's THE Borussia Moenchengladbach. If that's the attitude of all of English football no wonder they are doomed to failure.

Lancs Harp
03-10-2017, 03:32 PM
England are always in a group of eight nations that could conceivably win it ... with the exception of a couple of tournaments where they either didn't qualify or where they actually faced the fact they didn't have a good enough squad.

They have a super player in Harry Kane and a guy with real potential in Rashford who seems to get better every time you see him. But the rest of them are no better than decent players whose transfer fees and wages have been inflated to way beyond their actual worth ... you could exempt Deli Ali from that group if it wasn't for the fact that he is so easily wound up and liable to a stupid action, such as his dive at the weekend, that he is a sending off waiting to happen.

Their lack of options up front is nothing short of incredible when you look at it .... if Rashford, or heaven forbid Kane, were to get injured who comes in? Troy Deeney? Jermain Defoe? Sturridge?, a guy more injury prone than I am ..... This is what happens when you have a league packed with super expensive foreign imports, it might give you 'the best league in the world' ... what it doesn't give you is the best national team in the world .... and England's failure to make a dent in either the Euros or the World cup in the last quarter of a century supports that theory.

I wouldn't put a bad penny on them even making the semis.

As an Englishman I'd be delirious if England got beyond the Quarter final. There simply isnt enough quality throughout the team with the exception of a few players as you say, Rashford and Kane, possibly Ali, the fullbacks are decent going forward but a little suspect defensively against any quality opposition and have a midfield that is pretty uninspiring, the centre backs at top international level are weak. England on their day, in a one off are capable of beating anyone but the world cup isnt about winning one game and England time and time again have failed to win more than just the odd knock out match. I would imagine realistic expectation would be to get out of the group stage then go out in the last 16 or last 8. all pretty predictable.

As for the interview, as others have said, in all honesty what would you expect him to say?

SirDavidsNapper
03-10-2017, 03:41 PM
That what happens when you pay average players hundreds of thousands a week. They think they're better than they are. England will be found out yet again.

Smartie
03-10-2017, 03:46 PM
As an Englishman I'd be delirious if England got beyond the Quarter final. There simply isnt enough quality throughout the team with the exception of a few players as you say, Rashford and Kane, possibly Ali, the fullbacks are decent going forward but a little suspect defensively against any quality opposition and have a midfield that is pretty uninspiring, the centre backs at top international level are weak. England on their day, in a one off are capable of beating anyone but the world cup isnt about winning one game and England time and time again have failed to win more than just the odd knock out match. I would imagine realistic expectation would be to get out of the group stage then go out in the last 16 or last 8. all pretty predictable.

As for the interview, as others have said, in all honesty what would you expect him to say?

The problem that England seem to repeatedly have is weak leadership and ridiculous player power and egos.

When they won the World Cup they had a tough manager who made difficult decisions, left out big players, stuck with the guys in form and stuck to a game plan.

They have forever attempted to shoehorn big name players ineffectively into ineffective systems and have got about as far as you would expect a weakly led team of pretty talented but ultimately not quite good enough players should get.

I actually think they've got more than enough talent to win it. They have match winners, they have goals, they have pace. Their defence isn't world class, but there are some very decent players there, who if they were well-drilled enough should be able to provide enough of a base for Kane, Sterling, Rashford etc to go forward and get enough goals to win games.

I'm not convinced they have the resilience or the desire. I think their players would all rather be earning big bucks at their clubs than be playing for their country.

The other achilles heel they have is the English tabloid press. Whether it is cranking up expectation to quite ridiculous levels, crucifying superb managers like Bobby Robson, or going with big disgrace stories in the weeks leading up to big competitions - they always play a huge part in torpedoing England's chances.

tamig
03-10-2017, 07:00 PM
If Greece can will the Euros then England can win the world cup. They won't though.

But Greece had Takis Fyssas 😉

MWHIBBIES
03-10-2017, 07:26 PM
That what happens when you pay average players hundreds of thousands a week. They think they're better than they are. England will be found out yet again.England aren't the only country paying average players that much.

Sammy7nil
03-10-2017, 09:09 PM
With that back four, keeper and Jordan Henderson, i have more chance of winning the lottery.

Have you checked your numbers :wink:

blackpoolhibs
03-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Have you checked your numbers :wink:

No need, i dont even do it. :greengrin