PDA

View Full Version : Captain during Famous Five Era

Nakedmanoncrack
03-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Anyone able to give a definitive answer as to who captained the league championship winning teams of 1948, 1951 and 1952?

G B Young
03-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Far from a definitive answer but I'd hazard a guess at Gordon Smith.

Nakedmanoncrack
03-10-2017, 10:38 AM

I've heard that but not seen anything that proves it.

hibbybrian
03-10-2017, 10:40 AM

Close

1947-48 Captain was Davie Shaw then Gordon Smith up to 1954-55 when it was Bobby Combe

HIBERNIAN-0762
03-10-2017, 12:13 PM
We sold Shaw to oldco soon after that and he preceded to boot Smith all over the shop when he played against us according to my late Dad.

Nakedmanoncrack
03-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Close

1947-48 Captain was Davie Shaw then Gordon Smith up to 1954-55 when it was Bobby Combe

That a definite?

hibbybrian
03-10-2017, 12:43 PM
We sold Shaw to oldco soon after that and he preceded to boot Smith all over the shop when he played against us according to my late Dad.

Davie left Hibs to join Aberdeen in 51/52, it was his brother Jock Shaw who played for the old rangers who did the kicking.

Lago
03-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Your Dad confirms what my late Father in Law told me, exactly!

Mick O'Rourke
03-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Davie Shaw did not play for Oldco
His brother, Jock "Tiger" Shaw did.

hibbybrian
03-10-2017, 01:00 PM
That a definite?

According to team photos of the Championship side

--------
03-10-2017, 01:03 PM

Sorry, your dad had got it wrong. He was probably thinking of Davie's brother Jock aka 'Tiger' Shaw who played for the Huns around the same time. The brothers came from Annathill, a tiny village (one street, around 200 inhabitants) in Lanarkshire. They played together for Scotland (Jock RB, Davie LB) against Switzerland in Scotland's first full international match after WW2; the only other time two brothers have played for Scotland in the same match was in 2005 - the Caldwells.

Davie (who my dad assured me was by far the classier player of the two brothers - Tiger he described as a 'knuckle-dragging thug') played for Hibs from just after the war until 1952 or '53. He formed a formidable partnership at the back with Jock Govan and Jackie Paterson (among others). I think he player 8 or 9 times for Scotland, though he never captained the side.

He then moved to Aberdeen and played for them in the Cup Final of 1953 which the Huns won 1-0 after a replay.

Davie Shaw NEVER played for the Huns.

--------
03-10-2017, 01:04 PM
Your Dad confirms what my late Father in Law told me, exactly!

SEE ABOVE! :devil:

G B Young
03-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Home early today so just had a wee flick through a couple of Hibs books. In John R Mackay's 'The Hibees' he states that in season 1949-50 'Smith was Hibs captain now, having taken over from Davie Shaw who had a lengthy absence following a cartilege operation.'

superfurryhibby
03-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Sorry, your dad had got it wrong. He was probably thinking of Davie's brother Jock aka 'Tiger' Shaw who played for the Huns around the same time. The brothers came from Annathill, a tiny village (one street, around 200 inhabitants) in Lanarkshire. They played together for Scotland (Jock RB, Davie LB) against Switzerland in Scotland's first full international match after WW2; the only other time two brothers have played for Scotland in the same match was in 2005 - the Caldwells.

Davie (who my dad assured me was by far the classier player of the two brothers - Tiger he described as a 'knuckle-dragging thug') played for Hibs from just after the war until 1952 or '53. He formed a formidable partnership at the back with Jock Govan and Jackie Paterson (among others). I think he player 8 or 9 times for Scotland, though he never captained the side.

He then moved to Aberdeen and played for them in the Cup Final of 1953 which the Huns won 1-0 after a replay.

Davie Shaw NEVER played for the Huns.

John Paterson managed Thomsons Sports in Great Junction St. A very nice man and he would always be up for a bit of Hibs banter. As a wee laddie I was in green heaven. Lawrie Reilly's pub was a thrown in away from my stair door and John Paterson served you over the counter at the local sports shop. John's laddie, Craig Paterson, was also a decent centre half and he did go to the Hun's.

brog
03-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Davie left Hibs to join Aberdeen in 51/52, it was his brother Jock Shaw who played for the old rangers who did the kicking.

My Dad always told a great story about Gordon & Tiger Shaw. As Hibs & Oldco were by far the dominant teams post war there were always plenty newspaper stories pre the games & before one game Shaw was boasting about what he was going to do to Gordon. Gordon of course ripped Shaw a new one, scored 2 in a 4-1 win. Near the end, Gordon took Shaw down to the corner flag, beat Shaw 3 or 4 times while Tiger was vainly swiping at Gordon & occasionally the ball. After what seemed an eternity Gordon tired of the game & as Shaw charged in again, he stepped aside like a matador, rolled the ball out for a goal kick & walked back up the pitch. My Dad said it was the best & worst thing he ever saw & for Gordon to treat Shaw with such contempt he must have been severely provoked.Luckily most of the fans of the team who don't do walking away had walked away by this time! I believe that was our biggest ever peacetime home victory over Oldco/Sevco until A certain Alan Stubbs arrived.

Treadstone
03-10-2017, 02:08 PM
My Dad always told a great story about Gordon & Tiger Shaw. As Hibs & Oldco were by far the dominant teams post war there were always plenty newspaper stories pre the games & before one game Shaw was boasting about what he was going to do to Gordon. Gordon of course ripped Shaw a new one, scored 2 in a 4-1 win. Near the end, Gordon took Shaw down to the corner flag, beat Shaw 3 or 4 times while Tiger was vainly swiping at Gordon & occasionally the ball. After what seemed an eternity Gordon tired of the game & as Shaw charged in again, he stepped aside like a matador, rolled the ball out for a goal kick & walked back up the pitch. My Dad said it was the best & worst thing he ever saw & for Gordon to treat Shaw with such contempt he must have been severely provoked.Luckily most of the fans of the team who don't do walking away had walked away by this time! I believe that was our biggest ever peacetime home victory over Oldco/Sevco until A certain Alan Stubbs arrived.

Post of the day. Cracking tale.

The Hibee Harp
03-10-2017, 02:33 PM
Close

Combe took over from Smith in 53-54.

Scott Allan Key
03-10-2017, 03:48 PM

Wonderful story. It sums up so much of the opposing passions many of us feel about Hibs and THEM.

Iggy Pope
03-10-2017, 04:08 PM
John Paterson managed Thomsons Sports in Great Junction St. A very nice man and he would always be up for a bit of Hibs banter. As a wee laddie I was in green heaven. Lawrie Reilly's pub was a thrown in away from my stair door and John Paterson served you over the counter at the local sports shop. John's laddie, Craig Paterson, was also a decent centre half and he did go to the Hun's.

Bit further up the Walk Bobby Combe had a grocers.

hibbybrian
03-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Combe took over from Smith in 53-54.

You're right, thanks for the correction :thumbsup:

Leith's finest
03-10-2017, 04:23 PM
Did tommy preston never captain hibs?

brog
03-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Did tommy preston never captain hibs?

He possibly did but Tommy only came into the team as a young man towards the end of the FF era.

ancient hibee
03-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Bit further up the Walk Bobby Combe had a grocers.

And Archie Buchanan at Easter Road traffic lights(the shop became the famous sweet shop).

Lago
03-10-2017, 06:04 PM
SEE ABOVE! :devil:
I'm afraid I can't correct the old fellow, but he did get the kick lumps out of Smith right:greengrin

brog
03-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Wonderful story. It sums up so much of the opposing passions many of us feel about Hibs and THEM.

Thanks, my old Dad would be delighted but somewhat mystified that due to the power of the net his stories survive him.

--------
03-10-2017, 11:19 PM

:not worth

--------
03-10-2017, 11:34 PM
I'm afraid I can't correct the old fellow, but he did get the kick lumps out of Smith right:greengrin

Davie was the footballer of that pair by a long way.

Of course, he didn't have a Mason in Black covering his misdemeanours all the time like his brother had, but by all accounts he was a hardy man to play against.

Those were the days when 'man-marking' meant REALLY marking your man. Sometimes for life .... :devil:

I was wrong about his move to Aberdeen - he went to them in 1950.

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/defenders/davie-shaw

My father always said that Jock Govan and Davie Shaw were the best full-back partnership he ever saw. That Famous Five team was a lot more than 'just' a star forward line - the defence was something really special as well.

Drummer
04-10-2017, 12:47 AM

Another guy who tried to kick Smith of the park was Ted Lindsay of St, Mirren. I remember him making a lunge at Smith, he missed and ended up in the old enclosure.

Forza Fred
04-10-2017, 06:42 AM
Another guy who tried to kick Smith of the park was Ted Lindsay of St, Mirren. I remember him making a lunge at Smith, he missed and ended up in the old enclosure.

I can remember when Gordon Smith returned to Easter Road playing with Dundee, and our own Joe McLelland at left back tried to cripple him at the Dunbar end.

I seem to recall Joe came out worst and was limping for a fair bit after his flying tackle...

AndyM_1875
04-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Gordon Smith was Hibs greatest player. His record says it all and amongst the auld Hibees he is probably the most loved of all the wonderful famous five.

A story I also heard from my father in law was that many teams tried to kick him off the pitch, Rangers, Airdrie and Third Lanark being some of the worst offenders. He told me of a game in the rain & mud at Cathkin Park that he travelled through for where Gordon took some awful punishment from the Thirds clogger defenders who doubled up on him and several times he was actually kicked over the sideline at one point.
After another appalling assault, Smith was limping (pre substitute days) and this prompted Eddie Turnbull to take revenge by going straight through the Thirds left back and ludicrously becoming the first player to be spoken to by the referee.

Hibs won the game comfortably enough but at full time Gordon Smith refused to shake hands with any Thirds players who became angry he would not exchange pleasantries with them. Smith pointed to his torn sock and his blood covered shins and said 'You expect me to shake hands with you after you've done this?'
Eddie Turnbull then stepped in and offered a few of the opposition some afters if they continued to push it.

superfurryhibby
04-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Gordon Smith was Hibs greatest player. His record says it all and amongst the auld Hibees he is probably the most loved of all the wonderful famous five.

A story I also heard from my father in law was that many teams tried to kick him off the pitch, Rangers, Airdrie and Third Lanark being some of the worst offenders. He told me of a game in the rain & mud at Cathkin Park that he travelled through for where Gordon took some awful punishment from the Thirds clogger defenders who doubled up on him and several times he was actually kicked over the sideline at one point.
After another appalling assault, Smith was limping (pre substitute days) and this prompted Eddie Turnbull to take revenge by going straight through the Thirds left back and ludicrously becoming the first player to be spoken to by the referee.

Hibs won the game comfortably enough but at full time Gordon Smith refused to shake hands with any Thirds players who became angry he would not exchange pleasantries with them. Smith pointed to his torn sock and his blood covered shins and said 'You expect me to shake hands with you after you've done this?'
Eddie Turnbull then stepped in and offered a few of the opposition some afters if they continued to push it.

After dealing with the Artic convoys in WW2, I would imagine fronting up to a Thirds defender was a stroll in the park for Eddie. Tough as teak.

--------
04-10-2017, 01:34 PM
After dealing with the Artic convoys in WW2, I would imagine fronting up to a Thirds defender was a stroll in the park for Eddie. Tough as teak.

Where are Third Lanark playing these days? :devil:

ancient hibee
04-10-2017, 05:42 PM
I can remember when Gordon Smith returned to Easter Road playing with Dundee, and our own Joe McLelland at left back tried to cripple him at the Dunbar end.

I seem to recall Joe came out worst and was limping for a fair bit after his flying tackle...

When Gordon came back with Hearts McLelland tried to dribble round him.Gordon took the ball off him and banged it into the net.Just added to the misery of the day.I think Young had already scored his hat trick by then.

Certainly towards the end of his career with Hibs Smith would run straight off the park at full time.We all reckoned he was entitled to after having been kicked for years.