PDA

View Full Version : Team spirit

Peevemor
03-10-2017, 09:02 AM
There's a good interview with Marvin Bartley in the EEN.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/marvin-bartley-hibs-players-flew-under-radar-thanks-to-neil-lennon-1-4575829

One bit made me smile

"He’d (Lennon) got a great reception from their fans – although I was in the middle of the pitch booing him at that point..."

On the Hibs TV SJM interview after the match, you can hear Bartley singing the SJM song in the background and McGinn says something like "that's Bartley's first assist in 7 years".

I was a wee bit worried that with Cummings & Keatings (and even Holt) moving on in the summer that the atmosphere in the changing room might have taken a bit of a nosedive, but from what I can make out (goal celebration competition video, etc.) the new guys seem to have slotted right in.

Now obviously too much dicking about can be detremental, but I think Stubbs and now Neil Lennon seem to have found the right balance between professionalism and craic.

I can't remember a Hibs squad that have managed to retain this camaradery for so long (from what I can make out in any case). There's no doubt that having a lower turnover of players has helped this - but I also think it's a result of everything that's happened since Leeann Dempster was given free reign to change the set-up at the club (especially emptying Butcher).

Thoughts...?

Souter96Mac
03-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Agree with what you've said, I think playing good football and winning games definitely helps this. You would think post cup and championship wins, the players would have celebrated, and bonded.

MyJo
03-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Its official, Slivkas nickname is Vicky :aok: :faf:

Peevemor
03-10-2017, 09:48 AM

I noticed that too. :greengrin

KWJ
03-10-2017, 09:55 AM
Totally agree with you bud. The players generally have a smile on their face and that ingratiates them to the supporters and probably new players alike.

I've had my favourite players over the years but I've never found myself liking a squad quite as much as we've had over the past 2 years or so.

Without meaning to bring up a negative the one thing that gripes me a bit is Stokes' body language and all round whining at other players when he doesn't get things passes exactly as he wants it. Riordan was a bit like this too and it's definitely common among strikers, Murray too for sure, but Stokes takes it a bit too far for my liking and I'm pretty sure SJM gave him a volley back at some point in the game. That said, if he's sticking it in the onion bag I'd still be picking him! :thumbsup:

Marcus_Hibs
03-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Totally agree with you bud. The players generally have a smile on their face and that ingratiates them to the supporters and probably new players alike.

I've had my favourite players over the years but I've never found myself liking a squad quite as much as we've had over the past 2 years or so.

Without meaning to bring up a negative the one thing that gripes me a bit is Stokes' body language and all round whining at other players when he doesn't get things passes exactly as he wants it. Riordan was a bit like this too and it's definitely common among strikers, Murray too for sure, but Stokes takes it a bit too far for my liking and I'm pretty sure SJM gave him a volley back at some point in the game. That said, if he's sticking it in the onion bag I'd still be picking him! :thumbsup:

Agreed, it really is a genuinely likeable crop of players which is refreshing in modern football.

I too have picked up on that from Stokes, but I guess when you listen to strikers speak they are so single minded and everything revolves around scoring and getting those stats, so I can understand it in a way

StevieT
03-10-2017, 11:45 AM

Thanks to you, I now have a Toni Basil song in my head

oneone73
03-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Thanks to you, I now have a Toni Basil song in my head

Are you taking the Mickey?

yonder1875
03-10-2017, 11:57 AM
"No-one was expecting Hibs, a team just out of the championship and one people would have been expecting to be towards the bottom of the league, to go there and get anything."

Who actually thought we'd be towards the bottom of the league?

Mick O'Rourke
03-10-2017, 12:02 PM
"No-one was expecting Hibs, a team just out of the championship and one people would have been expecting to be towards the bottom of the league, to go there and get anything."

Who actually thought we'd be towards the bottom of the league?

Our not so noisy big team neighbours.

Vicky?
Dont know any Vicky's, except the chest rub and a well known character in Benidorm.

ancient hibee
03-10-2017, 05:54 PM
One and the same surely?

Wilson
03-10-2017, 06:05 PM
Vicky?
Dont know any Vicky's, except the chest rub and a well known character in Benidorm.

Ranger John Johnson in So I Married An Axe Murderer.

kaimendhibs
03-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Oh Vicky youre so fine, youre so fine Oh Vicky. Getting my coat as you read this.....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk