Sergey
02-10-2017, 03:03 PM
They've signed Yves Ma-Kalambay

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41474364

Billy Whizz
02-10-2017, 03:20 PM

Gave one of Hibs better goalkeeping performances at Tynie, when Deeks score a late penalty. Came for everything that day

Danderhall Hibs
02-10-2017, 03:28 PM
Good luck to him. On his day he was good.

oneone73
02-10-2017, 03:30 PM

No need.

Keith_M
02-10-2017, 03:34 PM
To paraphrase the Longfellow poem.

"And when he was good, he was very, very good,
But when he was bad he was horrid."

lyonhibs
02-10-2017, 03:41 PM
May the Good Lord (or the bottom of endless pint glasses) comfort and protect them from what they are about to witness.

Actually started well to be fair, a vast improvement on what went immediately before. Just too many howlers to make it long term at the top level.

Was there not some - probably now departed - poster claiming upon his departure that he'd be an EPL regular within 3 years or something?

Anyway, I bear him no residual malice unlike the fat skidmark Simon Brown so good luck Yves!

Sir David Gray
02-10-2017, 03:44 PM
No need.

He wasn't great but we've certainly had worse.

Firestarter
02-10-2017, 03:50 PM
I remember people saying how his blunders where okay and how he would play at the top level. Aye, no botber.

jacomo
02-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Best of luck big guy.

Still only 31, young for a keeper. Still time to prove the doubters wrong!

Deansy
02-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Ma-Kalambay at least, is infinitely superior to Zibi - who seemed to keep his worst howlers for the derby-games !

eastmainsmsh
02-10-2017, 04:07 PM
potential to be a cracking keeper really thought he looked the part at tynecastle that night wish him well at wycombe

iwasthere1972
02-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Good memories of singing the Makalamby song for what seemed like the entire match when we beat the Hearts 1-0 at Tynie in August 2007. It was worth the £34 that Vlad charged us that night.

Bishop Hibee
02-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Rubbish but Goramesque compared to Zibi or Simon Brown.

IGRIGI
02-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Was outstanding in the Kerr derby at Tynie, I always had high hopes for him. I tried to defend him through one howler after another when they came, and then came the derby where he pretended to be injured to avoid 45 minutes in front of the ****bo support and that was enough for me.

Broken Gnome
02-10-2017, 04:24 PM
3-3 Aberdeen at home. Nightmares.

Had a great game against Rangers in the cup, seem to remember?

Scouse Hibee
02-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Was outstanding in the Kerr derby at Tynie, I always had high hopes for him. I tried to defend him through one howler after another when they came, and then came the derby where he pretended to be injured to avoid 45 minutes in front of the ****bo support and that was enough for me.

Yep cowardly act.

ben johnson
02-10-2017, 04:36 PM
Ma-Kalambay at least, is infinitely superior to Zibi - who seemed to keep his worst howlers for the derby-games !

Yes shocking from Zibi but he got on with it and did not hide in the dressing room with a fake injury as Yves did.

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2017, 04:38 PM
He had everything a goalkeeper needs to be very good, apart from bottle and the ability to keep mistakes to a minimum.

Decent shot stopper, could come and take crosses and kick well. Just couldnt maintain a level of competence a decent Scottish Premier division goalkeeper should.

neil7908
02-10-2017, 04:45 PM
Makes me happy to have Marciano and Laidlaw at the club.

And Makalamby isn't the worst I've seen over the years!

Thecat23
02-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Simon Brown was the worst of them all.

-Jonesy-
02-10-2017, 05:12 PM

I was in Poland last year and noticed in a newspaper article how the now veteran Zibi had become the model of consistency for one of the smaller clubs in the top league.

easty
02-10-2017, 05:15 PM
I was in Poland last year and noticed in a newspaper article how the now veteran Zibi had become the model of consistency for one of the smaller clubs in the top league.

He was consistent for us tae

IGRIGI
02-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Simon Brown's statue impersonations could only be beaten by Tony Caig who wore cement shoes.

SChibs
02-10-2017, 05:26 PM
I used to like maka, I was around 13/14 when he was at hibs though so don't remember a lot of his mistakes. he probably holds the world record for the biggest hands, he could pick up the ball with hos finger and his thumb!

Ryan69
02-10-2017, 06:41 PM
will be interesting to see how he gets on there. Though doesn't seem to of progressed much judging by his last club.

he was very young and inexperienced when at us....But there was a goalie inside there somewhere at times.

Did did he not get called up for Belgium a couple of times? Or maybe I'm making that part up.

Northernhibee
02-10-2017, 07:03 PM

I'd say Graeme Smith for me. Never seen a goalkeeper who was so bad with his hands.

CentreLine
02-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Never saw a keeper that could throw a ball further than most can kick. I’m convinced he could, and should, have scored with that throw.

Awful keeper. Great character

LaMotta
02-10-2017, 07:31 PM
Maka was up and down for us....however he was a terrible signing by Collins at a time when we needed a solid proven reliable goalie following Mowbrays previous Goalkeeping disasters.

brianmc
02-10-2017, 07:36 PM
Maka appeared to have the hands, physique and personality of a giant, yet the heart of a mouse.
Graham Smith however was just **** at everything.

1van Sprou7e
02-10-2017, 07:39 PM
According to wiki he's made 64 league appearances in his career, 57 of them for Hibs

Quite astonishing really

Hibstrooper
02-10-2017, 07:40 PM
I'd say Graeme Smith for me. Never seen a goalkeeper who was so bad with his hands.

Graeme Smith is up there with the worst players I've ever seen play for Hibs, truly truly awful and much worse than Zibbi or Simon Brown who were steady if unspectacular for most games

Northernhibee
02-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Graeme Smith is up there with the worst players I've ever seen play for Hibs, truly truly awful and much worse than Zibbi or Simon Brown who were steady if unspectacular for most games

All out worst player I think I've seen is Shefki Kuqi. Shame as he had a great career but for us he couldn't jump, he couldn't run, he couldn't shoot - outstandingly awful.

Wilson
02-10-2017, 07:47 PM
All out worst player I think I've seen is Shefki Kuqi. Shame as he had a great career but for us he couldn't jump, he couldn't run, he couldn't shoot - outstandingly awful.

He was finished by the time we signed him to be fair.

Edinburgh Green
02-10-2017, 07:49 PM

Still remember him leaving a Lee Miller header in the Derby as he thought It was going wide!! 🙈

Diclonius
02-10-2017, 07:53 PM
If Maka had come on for Smith in the 6-6 game v Motherwell we would never have lost it.

oneone73
02-10-2017, 07:54 PM
If Maka had come on for Smith in the 6-6 game v Motherwell we would never have lost it.

We didn't.It was a draw!

johnbc70
02-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Still remember him leaving a Lee Miller header in the Derby as he thought It was going wide!! 🙈

Remember that well, but I think we did go on to win that game with Dean Sheils getting the winner.

Northernhibee
02-10-2017, 08:03 PM
We didn't.It was a draw!

And yet we moan about losing a two goal lead against Motherwell nowadays :greengrin

Pretty Boy
02-10-2017, 08:03 PM
I place a lot of the blame for our issues with MaKalmabay with John Collins.

The season before he signed we had Zibi dropped out after his horror show at Tynecastle, Andy McNeil get thrown in then be replaced by Simon Brown, Brown have a mare v Rangers and McNeil come back in, won the League Cup then have his own troubles and lose his confidence. What we needed was an experienced head who knew the league and could shoulder the pressure and stigma of being a Hibs goalie at the time as it had started to become a bit of a joke amongst the media. Instead he went out and signed a youngster who had never played a 1st team game. It was one of many baffling bits of business that summer.

I'm sure he had a total disaster at home v Gretna in the 3rd or 4th game of the season after a pretty promising debut at Tynecastle and from there he went from producing unbelievable saves to looking like an amateur who had never played the position 5 minutes later. He was never, ever destined for the top despite what some argued. He seemed a nice, big guy though and I hope he does well at Wycombe.

Pretty Boy
02-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Remember that well, but I think we did go on to win that game with Dean Sheils getting the winner.

We did.

Garry O'Connor equalised, after a Craig Gordon error. Then Konte hit the post with a header when it was easier to score and Shiels blasted in the rebound. Absolute bedlam in the Hibs end with the police match commander describing it as 'bordering on mass hysteria' in the following days EEN.

Hibby Bairn
02-10-2017, 08:07 PM
Where is Hibs Spain these days?

stantonhibby
02-10-2017, 08:12 PM
We did.

Garry O'Connor equalised, after a Craig Gordon error. Then Konte hit the post with a header when it was easier to score and Shiels blasted in the rebound. Absolute bedlam in the Hibs end with the police match commander describing it as 'bordering on mass hysteria' in the following days EEN.

It was.....we'd just come off a defeat to Dundee Utd in scottish cup semi final as well.

Broken Gnome
02-10-2017, 08:13 PM
I place a lot of the blame for our issues with MaKalmabay with John Collins.

The season before he signed we had Zibi dropped out after his horror show at Tynecastle, Andy McNeil get thrown in then be replaced by Simon Brown, Brown have a mare v Rangers and McNeil come back in, won the League Cup then have his own troubles and lose his confidence. What we needed was an experienced head who knew the league and could shoulder the pressure and stigma of being a Hibs goalie at the time as it had started to become a bit of a joke amongst the media. Instead he went out and signed a youngster who had never played a 1st team game. It was one of many baffling bits of business that summer.

I'm sure he had a total disaster at home v Gretna in the 3rd or 4th game of the season after a pretty promising debut at Tynecastle and from there he went from producing unbelievable saves to looking like an amateur who had never played the position 5 minutes later. He was never, ever destined for the top despite what some argued. He seemed a nice, big guy though and I hope he does well at Wycombe.

That was the Aberdeen game I mentioned, he shipped all three and to this day I don't think any of the goalkeeping disasters we had cost us quite so many goals in one game. Not even Smith at Motherwell, that was only two-and-a-half I seem to remember.

The one where he jumped past a long throw which bounced right beside him is right up there with anything Zibi did.

Hibeewilly
02-10-2017, 08:33 PM
I thought Maka was coming onto a right game especially commanding his box when he got his bad injury. He just wasn't the same after that. I'll be looking for the Wycombe results from now on though. All the best to the big man:agree:

R'Albin
02-10-2017, 08:33 PM

I actually thought he made a good start with us, then Yogi dropped him for Stack when he was fit again. When Stack inevitably got reinjured Smith came back and his confidence was obviously shot to pieces.

As for Shefki Kuqi I have to agree. I remember the Hibs support laughing at how bad he was one game at Pittodrie.

Diclonius
02-10-2017, 08:47 PM
We didn't.It was a draw!

Oops! I'll go for "lost the lead" then.

Scouse Hibee
02-10-2017, 09:22 PM

Good luck, they'll certainly need it with that liability in goal.

Weir07
02-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Surprised that no one has mentioned Oli Gottskalksson in the goalkeeping hall of shame, strongly vying with Colin Murdoch for my personal all time worst Hibs player. Remember being desperate for a win in our relegation season and went 1-0 up against Motherwell at Easter Road, only for Owen Coyle, with about 5 minutes left, to miss hit a shot which trundled towards goal, hit off Oli's chest and end up in the back of the net. Dreadful stuff!

pacoluna
02-10-2017, 09:29 PM

As yogi said at the time... It was the striker's fault for failing with their defensive duties.

eastterrace
02-10-2017, 09:34 PM

Nope zibby definitely the worse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eastterrace
02-10-2017, 09:37 PM

Have a look at the semi final with hearts 4-0 game , zibby at his worse , guy was a clown

Danderhall Hibs
02-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Nope zibby definitely the worse

:agree: miles ahead of the competition. A clear winner.

zlatan
02-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Liked him but aye, when he was bad...

Remember last day of the season at Pittodrie when he deliberately kicked the ball off the back of Lee Miller, only for it to roll into the net :hilarious

Seveno
02-10-2017, 10:05 PM
Good luck to him. On his day he was good.

I must have missed that day.

Billy McKirdy
02-10-2017, 10:17 PM

You’ve obviously forgotten Rowan Vine 😂

NAE NOOKIE
02-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Leave the big guy alone ya bunch o' bullies ...... my mates kid met him and they said he was an awfully nice man :tsk tsk:

Hibernia&Alba
03-10-2017, 12:32 AM
He was only a young lad, particularly for a keeper, when he was with Hibs, so he deserves a bit (just a bit) of slack.

We've had a few superb keepers over the years, but we've also had some stinkers. The fact we have so many nominated for the worst in this thread: Makalambay, Graeme Smith, Simon Brown, Zibi - is almost comical. Some of those names still give me panic attacks. The compilation DVD of howlers amongst them would need to be a box set.

SanFranHibs
03-10-2017, 01:34 AM
potential to be a cracking keeper really thought he looked the part at tynecastle that night wish him well at wycombe

I went to college in High Wycombe and was down there 3 years and watched them a few times at the old stadium. Now that pitch was not on the level :)

I check their results so now will have an added 'interest' in doing so.

Billychaotic182
03-10-2017, 02:12 AM
Might be because I was younger and had green tinted glasses back then but I remember we had a 0-0 game against rangers (RIP) and Maka was outstanding. He had plenty of very good games for hibs, but he suffered badly from the hibs keeper curse and made some howlers in high profiled games. The Lee Miller one is one i still get angry about l, but over all I rated Maka highly and he was a lovely guy. I honestly wish him all the best

Dashing Bob S
03-10-2017, 04:06 AM
The battle for the jersey between Zibi and Clown was one of the most intriguing duels we’ve see at ER. Zibi had the ability to sell the big game - the Jambos at Hampden spring to mind, but probably couldn’t match Clown’s abominable comes consistency. Who can forget Charlie Adam’s TWO free kicks when Clown sleepwalkingly wandered miles off his line to hand the points to anotherwise outplayed Huns.

theonlywayisup
03-10-2017, 06:28 AM

Years Team Apps
2006–2007 Chelsea 0
2006 → Watford (loan) 0
2007–2010 Hibernian 57
2010–2011 Swansea City 0
2011–2012 KV Mechelen 2
2013–2015 Royal Antwerp 3
2015 Oțelul Galați 2
2017– Wycombe Wanderers 0

It's amazing that they still call him "former Chelsea keeper", when he never actually played for them.

For a professional footballer, that's a very low number of games played. I don't think we would be that excited if it was Hibs he was joining and it had been WW that he had played 57 games for.

jakedance
03-10-2017, 06:40 AM
According to wiki he's made 64 league appearances in his career, 57 of them for Hibs

Quite astonishing really

I’ve always thought it quite interesting that a keeper can have a career barely playing any games. A bit of training a few days a week, trackies on for a Saturday afternoon, none of the stress or hassle of actual matches. Easy money if you are good yet rubbish enough to be a back up at a decent club.

Hibernia&Alba
03-10-2017, 08:15 AM
The battle for the jersey between Zibi and Clown was one of the most intriguing duels we’ve see at ER. Zibi had the ability to sell the big game - the Jambos at Hampden spring to mind, but probably couldn’t match Clown’s abominable comes consistency. Who can forget Charlie Adam’s TWO free kicks when Clown sleepwalkingly wandered miles off his line to hand the points to anotherwise outplayed Huns.

Ah yes, Robert. For some reason he thought standing on the penalty spot for a free kick was a good position, and gap tooth said ta very much. Awful.

Steve-O
03-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Ah yes, Robert. For some reason he thought standing on the penalty spot for a free kick was a good position, and gap tooth said ta very much. Awful.

The (un)funny thing is I remember Zibi and McNeill also letting in free kicks in exactly the same fashion! Maybe it was the coaching at the time too?