PDA

View Full Version : Kris Commons

BegbieHSC
02-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Reckon if we were going to sign him, it will happen over the international break. If the break comes and goes, I reckon he's just going to continue his punditry full time, and hang up his boots.

What're everyone's thoughts??

stonewaller1875
02-10-2017, 01:34 PM
Reckon if we were going to sign him, it will happen over the international break. If the break comes and goes, I reckon he's just going to continue his punditry full time, and hang up his boots.

What're everyone's thoughts??He'll wait and see if he can get back to full fitness so won't probably find out what he's doing until dec/jan I would think

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
02-10-2017, 01:58 PM

What're everyone's thoughts??

Would be a bit part player at best.

MyJo
02-10-2017, 01:59 PM
There's no real rush to get him signed as we are pretty well stocked in midfield just now. Give him as much time as he needs to fully recover and make his decision then sign him towards the end of the year when injuries and suspensions might start to be a factor.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-10-2017, 09:23 PM
Not now. He is a full time TV pundit now. If there is still money to bring in another player then let's look elsewhere.

Andy74
02-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Not now. He is a full time TV pundit now. If there is still money to bring in another player then let's look elsewhere.

He’s only doing that until he can play again.

You think appearing on TV has any bearing on his ability to get fit and play?

neil7908
02-10-2017, 10:27 PM
I must admit the longer he is out the more unsure I am.

Lennon should of course take a look and judge based on his fitness but given his age, time out injured and lack of match sharpness I'm beginning to wonder if he's worth it.

We have plenty of central midfielders and SJM has shown what he can do if he's able to play a bit further forward.

CMurdoch
02-10-2017, 11:41 PM
He is 34 now and has barely played much in the last 2 years.
No thanks.
Dundee would be a better fit for him if he wants to try a come back.
Would prefer we spend our money more wisely.

SirDavidsNapper
02-10-2017, 11:53 PM
I really don't think he'd add much to the team now. As the poster above says, he's 34 and hardly kicked a ball for a considerable time. Time to move on from this one I think.

Johnny_Leith
03-10-2017, 03:48 AM
Take him in a second, even half fit last season he scored 2 crucial goals and provided assists for us. Would be an excellent addition to the squad.

SeanWilson
03-10-2017, 04:09 AM
The lack of respect for this guys ability is hilarious. He'd absolutey improve our squad, along with being a great role model for up and coming midfielders. If it's financially viable, I'd have him.

stonewaller1875
03-10-2017, 04:55 AM
The lack of respect for this guys ability is hilarious. He'd absolutey improve our squad, along with being a great role model for up and coming midfielders. If it's financially viable, I'd have him.Agreed. !

GreenLake
03-10-2017, 05:46 AM
He has a bit left in him and could make an impact in results as well as development. His football brain is way ahead of most players and we need a bit of thought to compliment the athletic power in the team.

California-Hibs
03-10-2017, 06:50 AM
The lack of respect for this guys ability is hilarious. He'd absolutey improve our squad, along with being a great role model for up and coming midfielders. If it's financially viable, I'd have him.

Yep, this.

superfurryhibby
03-10-2017, 06:54 AM

What's respect for his ability got to do with it? No one is saying he was crap or anything like it.

Dream on Sean. He's had virtually no football for several years and he's 34, with a recent history of major surgery. That's the reality of it.

As for role model, I suspect guys like McGinn lead by example and whilst Commons was a very good SPL player, he wasn't ( by his own admission) the model professional.

If it's financially viable then we should be looking to spend the cash elsewhere. We could do with reinforcing other parts of the team before looking at centre mid.

If Commons feels he can still play then he will be tested in training before being signed. Good luck to him, but I wouldnae hold ma breath.

SirDavidsNapper
03-10-2017, 06:58 AM
What's respect for his ability got to do with it? No one is saying he was crap or anything like it.

Dream on Sean. He's had virtually no football for several years and he's 34, with a recent history of major surgery. That's the reality of it.

As for role model, I suspect guys like McGinn lead by example and whilst Commons was a very good SPL player, he wasn't ( by his own admission) the model professional.

If it's financially viable then we should be looking to spend the cash elsewhere. We could do with reinforcing other parts of the team before looking at centre mid.

If Commons feels he can still play then he will be tested in training before being signed. Good luck to him, but I wouldnae hold ma breath.

Agree with all of that

anon1875
03-10-2017, 07:24 AM

His goals were really important last year at a time where we couldn't buy a goal. My only concern is you couldn't play Swanson/Stokes and Commons in the same team.

heretoday
03-10-2017, 08:29 AM
It's getting a bit late for Commons now. If we'd signed him at the start of the season he'd be up to speed but I can't see it.

We do need a no 10 though. Collins/Commons/Cropley - you know the sort of thing.

oneone73
03-10-2017, 08:32 AM
It's getting a bit late for Commons now. If we'd signed him at the start of the season he'd be up to speed but I can't see it.

We do need a no 10 though. Collins/Commons/Cropley - you know the sort of thing.

Swanson?

rotherhamrob
03-10-2017, 07:56 PM

It looked like Dylan played that role at parkhead and did it well.

Scouse Hibee
03-10-2017, 08:26 PM

Well said sums it up perfectly.

neil7908
03-10-2017, 08:50 PM

This for me. Not writing him off but equally I'm not desperate for him to sign - Lennon will judge his fitness etc and I'll trust that.

Folk need to understand that he's now a year older, it's even longer since he played regularly, we have better players in forward areas now (Stokes, Murray, Swanson and Barker) and crucially, we're in a much tougher league.

Last year we were massive favourites in every game and could afford to have a luxury player like Commons. Now, looking at games so far this season I honestly don't think he would be able to handle playing against Hamilton, Motherwell etc and certainly not vs Celtic, Aberdeen or Rangers.

poolman
03-10-2017, 08:57 PM

Never seen one post that had a lack of respect

Who would you drop for him 🤔

I think if Neil Lennon had wanted him he would have made his move long before now

Iggy Pope
03-10-2017, 09:16 PM

We do need a no 10 though. Collins/Commons
/Cropley - you know the sort of thing.

Ooops..... peeing myself with expectation of 45 years of that sort of thing.

Big L
03-10-2017, 09:29 PM

I've always believed Dylan could do a great job in that role. He always has space he's a good passers of the ball and that's where he has always wanted to play. Worth a shot imo.

snooky
04-10-2017, 12:11 AM

We've got one old timer in the team already. Personally, I think that's one to many for the Hibs team of today (although many will disagree - fair enough). Invest in young blood, not SAGA members.

SeanWilson
04-10-2017, 01:43 AM

All very fair points mate. It's subjective I suppose, personally think he'd be worth a punt if can pass a medical and not looking for a big wage. Pay as you play type deal? Who knows.

Johnny_Leith
04-10-2017, 02:40 AM
We've got one old timer in the team already. Personally, I think that's one to many for the Hibs team of today (although many will disagree - fair enough). Invest in young blood, not SAGA members.

Who's the old timer? Whittaker? He's a tremendous athlete, Holt last season was always near the top of the fitness tests.

Age is no indication of fitness level, it's not 1998 anymore, players should be looking to play until their late 30's.

stonewaller1875
04-10-2017, 02:44 AM
Take him in a second, even half fit last season he scored 2 crucial goals and provided assists for us. Would be an excellent addition to the squad.Very true

GreenNWhiteArmy
04-10-2017, 07:39 AM
Happy to wait till he's recovered from injury and let NL determine whether he is good enough/young enough etc.

Regardless of the step up in opposition the KC I saw briefly last season could fill a squad role over the coming months

G B Young
04-10-2017, 09:02 AM
If a fit Kris Commons wants to play for us we'd be daft not to take him. It's a long season and there's no question he'd strengthen our squad. Great player and a regular goalscorer. What's not to like?

superfurryhibby
04-10-2017, 10:06 AM
If a fit Kris Commons wants to play for us we'd be daft not to take him. It's a long season and there's no question he'd strengthen our squad. Great player and a regular goalscorer. What's not to like?

See post 15 and get back to me:wink:

Danderhall Hibs
04-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Never seen one post that had a lack of respect

Who would you drop for him 🤔

I think if Neil Lennon had wanted him he would have made his move long before now

I thought he had? I was under the impression that Commons had a “conditional offer” from Hibs, i.e. get fit and we’ll sign you?

poolman
04-10-2017, 11:42 AM
I thought he had? I was under the impression that Commons had a “conditional offer” from Hibs, i.e. get fit and we’ll sign you?

Sorry, not heard that one 🤔

Danderhall Hibs
04-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Sorry, not heard that one 🤔

I think he said it on Sportsound.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40697036

Firestarter
04-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Commons is now a full time pundit. He won't be back playing football. BBC and BT from now on.

KeithTheHibby
04-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Commons is now a full time pundit. He won't be back playing football. BBC and BT from now on.

So he has officially retired then? I haven’t seen any quotes from him.

The Modfather
04-10-2017, 01:03 PM
Who's the old timer? Whittaker? He's a tremendous athlete, Holt last season was always near the top of the fitness tests.

Age is no indication of fitness level, it's not 1998 anymore, players should be looking to play until their late 30's.

Were the fitness tests done in a 20 yard radius of the centre circle? :greengrin

greenlex
04-10-2017, 02:32 PM
I think he said it on Sportsound.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40697036
He also jokingly said (again on sportsound) when Lennon extended his contract that he had longer to get fit.

Firestarter
04-10-2017, 02:36 PM
So he has officially retired then? I haven’t seen any quotes from him.

I don't think he's announcing it.

G B Young
04-10-2017, 03:31 PM
I don't think he's announcing it.

Presumably he's not announcing it because he hasn't retired. It would be quite a big story if he had. As far as I can see nothing has changed from a month ago, except for the fact he's a month closer to recovery:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1505964/celtic-kris-commons-rehab-hoops-lennoxtown/