PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying for Europe

houstonhibbee
01-10-2017, 12:58 AM
Do we get 4 places? Top 3 plus SC Winners?

Pescarese
01-10-2017, 07:33 AM
Do we get 4 places? Top 3 plus SC Winners?
I think so, unless UEFA change the rules. This year's European results affect the coefficient, but that would only affect when teams enter, not how many.

18Hibee75
01-10-2017, 07:57 AM
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think obviously 1st gets champions league, then 2nd and 3rd get Europa league. But if one of the top three teams win Scottish cup then fourth get Europe.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

LancsHibs
01-10-2017, 08:33 AM
My understanding is if the league finished as I expect:
1st Celtic
2nd Hibs
3rd Aberdeen
4th Rangers
Then Celtic would qualify Champions League and 2nd-4th for Europa League, however if a club out with the top 4 won the Scottish Cup, say Cowdenbeath won the cup then Cowden would replace the Huns in Europe😁 simple!

Sir David Gray
01-10-2017, 08:41 AM
1st Champions League
2nd Europa League
3rd Europa League
* Scottish Cup winners Europa League

* If the Scottish Cup winners finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the Premiership, the 4th placed team will qualify for the Europa League.

The Leith Dutch
01-10-2017, 09:04 AM
Based on last season - Aberdeen entered the UEFA at the second Qualifying round while St Johnstone and Sevco came in at QR1.

I know the winners of the Scottish Cup get QR2 rather than QR1 (see Hibs last season :D) so I'm assuming - based on Aberdeen going in at QR2 - that the runners up get the place allocated to the Cup which would make qualifying via the Scottish Cup place preferable.

Might be wrong about the runners up and it may be because of Aberdeen's second place finish.
So to be certain I think we should win the Scottish Cup and take 2nd in the league.....

eastcoasthibby
01-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Although playing well in certain games and for periods of others, we won't need to even think about this unless we find a way of being a lot more consistent, taking more.of our chances and defending better for full games. This isn't being overally negative but real, we have the capacity and ability to get into the top 3, but need to improve a few.aspects of our game and I am sure NL knows that, solets not get ahead of ourselves at this time.

hibbysam
01-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Based on last season - Aberdeen entered the UEFA at the second Qualifying round while St Johnstone and Sevco came in at QR1.

I know the winners of the Scottish Cup get QR2 rather than QR1 (see Hibs last season :D) so I'm assuming - based on Aberdeen going in at QR2 - that the runners up get the place allocated to the Cup which would make qualifying via the Scottish Cup place preferable.

Might be wrong about the runners up and it may be because of Aberdeen's second place finish.
So to be certain I think we should win the Scottish Cup and take 2nd in the league.....

Scottish cup gets the highest place, if that's 2nd qualifying round like this year, if no one qualifies from the cup and 4th place get into Europe then 2nd place gets the latest entry.

Billy Whizz
01-10-2017, 10:40 AM
Anyone got the dates for next years Europa qualifying rounds. Not getting ahead of myself. Just with the World Cup being on, wonder if the dates have moved forward

Hermit Crab
01-10-2017, 12:18 PM
We have to aim for second, realistically third though imo.

The Leith Dutch
01-10-2017, 12:30 PM
We have to aim for second, realisably third though imo.

If we're gonna do that we badly need to sort ourselves out in the games we should be winning.

Realistically, most people are hoping for either 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

That probably means we're looking at the results of Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Sevco.
There's games that us and the three clubs above will look at as maybe expecting points to be dropped and the rest of the games those same clubs will look at as most of them they should be winning.

We've played 3 games that are potential points dropping: Celtic, Rangers and St Johnstone away.
Arguably 4 if you include the Ross County trip as one of the trickier away fixtures.
In those we've done great - 5 from 9 (or 8 from 12 including County) - add to that they're 3 of the toughest and that's fantastic form.

Unfortunately we're 5 from 12 in games we should be picking up all three points in.
Unless that changes there's no danger of top 4 even if we do keep our form in the tough matches.

Don't get me wrong - delighted with where we are and happy with a lot of how we're playing but need to start putting away teams that aren't in the mix.

Col2
01-10-2017, 01:02 PM
So winning the cup gets us into Europe and at the slightly later stage.

Ok then Scottish Cup winners 2018 it will have to be 🏆🏆

SRHibs
01-10-2017, 02:24 PM
I've never been to an away European tie, so hopefully next season is a first. AEK Athens is still the best atmosphere I've ever experienced.