PDA

View Full Version : SJM Value

sauzee6_2
01-10-2017, 12:01 AM
Realistically, what can we expect for John Mcginn in January? I don't believe we will hold on to him past January and so hoping we get a good deal for him.

In my opinion 7 - 10 million is not out of the question.

Discuss....

sambajustice
01-10-2017, 12:03 AM
At least 12.6m...

Plus add ons

Wheat Hound
01-10-2017, 12:06 AM
Unless he signs a new deal, we'll not get as much as we should

Firestarter
01-10-2017, 12:13 AM
£21.05m

NOLA
01-10-2017, 12:16 AM
He's still progressing as a player under Lennon so I hope he stays 1more year but if he leaves then minimum 5mill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil7908
01-10-2017, 12:25 AM
If he's refusing to sign a new deal then Hibs are getting into murky territory with only 18 months on his contract.

I think he's a cracking player who still has the potential to go up another level or two.

I hope we won't get any more derogatory offers from the likes of the breadman but I still can't see us getting anything above £3m.

He's worth much more IMO but then way Scottish football is perceived I still can't see anyone in England paying seriously big money for him.

houstonhibbee
01-10-2017, 12:31 AM
an undisclosed sum plus Hendo.......:greengrin

Captain Trips
01-10-2017, 12:46 AM
Up here we get what players are probably worth and not a penny more, total piss take.

SJM should be costing a club north of £5m, we will likely get about £2-3m.

basehibby
01-10-2017, 01:05 AM
Realistically, what can we expect for John Mcginn in January? I don't believe we will hold on to him past January and so hoping we get a good deal for him.

Discuss....

Why should we sell him in January? He'll be a Hibs player with still a season and a half to go on his contract.

My selling price would be one squnitillion :cb

MWHIBBIES
01-10-2017, 06:14 AM
New contract and we could get north of 5m. Without a new deal we'll get 2m at most.

Ardenttwo
01-10-2017, 06:27 AM

Discuss....

I can see Celtic coming in for him but I hope they don't insult us offering a straight swap involving Henderson. Henderson plus Sparky maybe

MWHIBBIES
01-10-2017, 06:54 AM
I can see Celtic coming in for him but I hope they don't insult us offering a straight swap involving Henderson. Henderson plus Sparky maybe

Do you honestly believe they will offer Griffiths for a guy with 18 months on his contract??

Hibernia&Alba
01-10-2017, 07:24 AM
Up here we get what players are probably worth and not a penny more, total piss take.

SJM should be costing a club north of £5m, we will likely get about £2-3m.

I think you're right, Trips; we'd probably get around £3 million, when he's worth more.

Famous Fiver
01-10-2017, 07:31 AM
If we could get £12 Mill for him we could build a new stand, couldn't we Ann?

What, seats are extra!!! You're having a laugh.

We'll just hang on to him then. He'll be worth £20 Mill by this time next year. We could get new windies included for that.

Brightside
01-10-2017, 07:42 AM
If he played like that every week he would have premiership teams after him.

Hibernia&Alba
01-10-2017, 07:46 AM
If he played like that every week he would have premiership teams after him.

A £40 million bid from Man City? Let's talk :greengrin

TorMTH
01-10-2017, 07:55 AM

Discuss....Whatever we get when he goes, let's not forget St Mirren are due a hefty cut!

Sent from my P12 using Tapatalk

Onion
01-10-2017, 08:18 AM
Hibs should be actively touting John to every club with decent money. Ok we know we'd like him to sign a new deal and stay but he's not going to, so the more competition for his signature the better. If Celtic are the only bidder, we'll get stuffed. If a couple of top Champ or lower EPL clubs show interest .... different story.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-10-2017, 08:20 AM

Both Henderson's and Sparky would be great.

Captain Trips
01-10-2017, 08:28 AM
LG will be getting paid way over what we can and will be looking for even more on next contract be it at Celtic or a transfer.

MyJo
01-10-2017, 08:31 AM
£3m + Henderson

danhibees1875
01-10-2017, 08:39 AM
If we maintain the summer estimate in January then no one will match it and we'll keep Mcginn until next summer. At that point, £1-£1.5m considering he would have a year left on his contract.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-10-2017, 08:41 AM
LG will be getting paid way over what we can and will be looking for even more on next contract be it at Celtic or a transfer.

Perhaps Murray may be looking for something to invest as he looks for something in addition to Cromlix to invest in ;)

The Leith Dutch
01-10-2017, 08:54 AM

:agree:

The biggest thing restricting what players we can ever get in is the wages we can afford to pay.

One of the reasons why we have to keep the attendances high.
The difference between a 10,000 average gate and selling out every one of 19 home league games is not far off £5m a year.
That's around £90,000 a week extra that could go to the wages (minus whatever more knowledgeable folks than me will point out it costs the club).

scm70nyd1973
01-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Whatever we get when he goes, let's not forget St Mirren are due a hefty cut!

Sent from my P12 using Tapatalk

So we get Sparky and Hendo but what bits of them go to St Mirren - not sure they would fancy losing bits of their bods - in all seriousness though (and excuse my ignorance) how does it work when you have this scenario - is it maybe that the St Mirren clause will say no swap or partial swap deal allowed ?

chrisski33
01-10-2017, 09:15 AM

absolutely no way will Celtic sell Griffiths to us. wont be entertained at this moment. Griffiths will end his career at HIbs but thats a long way off

calumhibee1
01-10-2017, 09:19 AM
So we get Sparky and Hendo but what bits of them go to St Mirren - not sure they would fancy losing bits of their bods - in all seriousness though (and excuse my ignorance) how does it work when you have this scenario - is it maybe that the St Mirren clause will say no swap or partial swap deal allowed ?

I have absolutely no idea but I'd presume Hibs and St Mirren would have to agree a value for Henderson. So say we got 1m plus Henderson and the clubs agreed he was worth 500k then we'd be due St Mirren 500k as the total value of the deal is £1.5m presuming there sell on clause was 33%

DirtyDeeds
01-10-2017, 09:20 AM
Ignoring the fact that Griffiths achievements of the last few seasons make him worth a hell of a lot more than SJM...... lunacy if anyone GENUINELY thinks he'd be part of any deal, guy is worth upwards of £7m if selling to the bloated English market

scm70nyd1973
01-10-2017, 09:28 AM
I have absolutely no idea but I'd presume Hibs and St Mirren would have to agree a value for Henderson. So say we got 1m plus Henderson and the clubs agreed he was worth 500k then we'd be due St Mirren 500k as the total value of the deal is £1.5m presuming there sell on clause was 33%

There must be some mechanism built in if St Mirren had ever agreed to it in the first place - FWIW I don't ever think we'd get Sparky anyway - if we did I'd take his left peg, thumbs (post goal viewing for Jambos) and his napper - STM can have the rest !

Hibby70
01-10-2017, 09:30 AM
£3m + Henderson

This is how I think it will play out.

where'stheslope
01-10-2017, 09:33 AM
I said on the match thread yesterday, that Rodgers would be loving what he seen against him from McGinn.

The main worry is McGinn turns on a Man of the Match performance against Celtic, then lets us all down against teams he should be strolling against.

If his consistency levels rise after yesterday then we are in for one healthy pay off, if or when he goes!

When you bring on a player that is so good, its a massive loss to the team and supporters when he goes, so big money at least allows for a decent replacement.

Ryan69
01-10-2017, 09:38 AM
If we maintain the summer estimate in January then no one will match it and we'll keep Mcginn until next summer. At that point, £1-£1.5m considering he would have a year left on his contract.

And with one year left on Alexi Sanchez's contract....there was a bid of £50 million.
Obviously hes not Alexis Sanchez.....but your estimate is way way off.
A year is a longtime in football,and at least £5million would be a more accurate figure.

The Leith Dutch
01-10-2017, 09:52 AM
And with one year left on Alexi Sanchez's contract....there was a bid of £50 million.
A year is a longtime in football,and at least £5million would be a more accurate figure.

Much as I'd love you to be right I tend to agree with those putting it in the 2 - 3 million bracket.

I get that you're accepting he's not Sanchez but it's more than just the ability - it's the other options at that level.
Sanchez was quoted at £50m because there just aren't that many people who can play at that level and clubs will get crazy to secure their services.

McGinn is a great player at his level but even if he's worth £5m there are loads of other options that will get you a similar quality player in that price range so nobody is going to overpay (which is what £50m for Sanchez with a year left would have been) if they feel they can get similar or hold off and get the player for nothing.

Plays for a Scottish club + only 1 year left + lots of other options in position and price bracket + greater financial clout in the buying club.
It's not a position that is likely to get us a good deal.

I do badly hope I'm wrong and that we get him to sign an extension and sell him for top dollar mind ;)

Billy Whizz
01-10-2017, 09:54 AM
£3m + Henderson

Henderson is so far out the picture at Celtic, his wee brother makes the bench ahead of him.

danhibees1875
01-10-2017, 10:13 AM

I really hope you're right - but I can't see Hibs getting £5m for a player who has one year left on his contract.

weecounty hibby
01-10-2017, 10:22 AM
My laddie knocked back a bid of £4.2m for him last night on FIFA18 last night. Hope that helps clubs understand where they need to be starting any bidding. I would rather he signed another contract and stayed with us for a while yet though

danhibees1875
01-10-2017, 10:23 AM
My laddie knocked back a bid of £4.2m for him last night on FIFA18 last night. Hope that helps clubs understand where they need to be starting any bidding. I would rather he signed another contract and stayed with us for a while yet though

Finally, someone with a reliable source. :greengrin

CMurdoch
01-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Celtic will give us £2.7 million plus Henderson valued at £0.3 million
They will then mould him into Brown's replacement.

% of £3 million goes to St Mirren

Hibs use part of the remaining cash to bring in a quality partner for Stokes and a quality full back.
Leanne will then take the rest and start building the new indoor training facility at East Mains.

erin go bragh
01-10-2017, 03:26 PM
I can see SJM signing a contract extension with a 5 m release clause inserted.

CMurdoch
01-10-2017, 03:31 PM

That doesn't make sense for SJM unless he gets a massively improved contract.

Sir David Gray
01-10-2017, 03:33 PM
Anyone who thinks we'll get anything like £5 million for him is kidding themselves on in my opinion.

If he goes in January we'll get between £2.5-3 million, any later than that and it would be around £2 million unless he extends his contract which I think is unlikely.

scoopyboy
01-10-2017, 03:40 PM

If we can only get a million for him in the summer for him and then have to pay St.Mirren their slice I would rather play him and lose him for SFA the following season. Won't happen though.

I would think £3 million would be achievable just now but a great performance and a Scotland win on Thursday might boost it a wee bit more.

Dashing Bob S
01-10-2017, 03:50 PM
If we can only get a million for him in the summer for him and then have to pay St.Mirren their slice I would rather play him and lose him for SFA the following season. Won't happen though.

I would think £3 million would be achievable just now but a great performance and a Scotland win on Thursday might boost it a wee bit more.

Ideally you want a big bidder from the south coming in, testing Celtic's resolve. Otherwise he'll go to them for relative peanuts.

SirDavidsNapper
01-10-2017, 04:16 PM
I think 5m wouldn't be unrealistic...if he signs a new deal with us.

ancient hibee
01-10-2017, 05:08 PM
Could see him interesting Stoke or WBA as a replacement for Fletcher or Morrison.He won't improve his reputation going to Celtic.Their players don't seem to attract interest now.Obviously there was nobody giving Armstrong the tip and the queue of clubs wanting to pay £30m for Dembele seems to have disappeared.

Firestarter
01-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Money plus player suits us best with the percentage that's going to st Mirren I agree with the poster that says £3m and Hendo.

Skol
01-10-2017, 06:30 PM
Money plus henderson and loan him back to us for the rest of the season

Bishop Hibee
01-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Ntcham was bought for £4.5m and we shouldn’t sell McGinn for any less.

Vini1875
01-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Hibs make every effort to strengthen our hand by extending his contract. John has seen that we dealt fairly with JC. For me the issue has to be what is in the new contract regarding a release clause and sell on fee. If I was John I would wait until the summer and see what is on offer then. I think he will be gone then and hope the sell on fee is a generous one as I expect that is where we will make some dough.

WhileTheChief..
01-10-2017, 06:48 PM

I think it’ll be something like this.

A couple of good performances for Scotland and he’ll soon be the number one midfielder in the country.

I think 5m minimum but wouldn’t be sursised if he goes for a lot more. He’s going to be some player, everyone knows it and we’ll get the price we want.

Agree on on the point about the indoor facility. That would never have been mentioned if they weren’t planning on doing it relatively soon and the money has to come from somewhere.

The rest will be spent on a corner or two :wink:

lyonhibs
02-10-2017, 06:58 AM
Why should we sell him in January? He'll be a Hibs player with still a season and a half to go on his contract.

My selling price would be one squnitillion :cb

Agreed, but would settle for a couple of billion with a sell on clause

hughio
02-10-2017, 07:58 AM
Agreed, but would settle for a couple of billion with a sell on clause

Kinda know what you mean but I would hold out for the squintillion.

Peevemor
02-10-2017, 08:00 AM
Kinda know what you mean but I would hold out for the squintillion.

A gazillion + a bag of balls for trainng.

Smartie
02-10-2017, 08:13 AM
It's all about supply and demand.

Get a few interested parties and the price tag will go up.

He's been superb for a couple of seasons and has now dominated Celtic at Parkhead. If he can establish himself in the Scotland team (and not just the squad) then there will be a number of interested clubs for whom £5m is pocket change.

I can't believe what some English Championship clubs are paying for mediocre players.

worcesterhibby
02-10-2017, 08:15 AM
there's a lot that can still happen. If SJM starts for Scotland in the next two matches and imposes himself on the games and then continues his run of form for Hibs..bagging a few MOM awards and a few goals to boot, plus a significant performance in the semi against Celtic and you can be sure there will be some Championship clubs interested, perhaps even some bottom of the table EPL clubs...get three of them keen to sign him and £4-6 million would not be unlikely. However if his level drops again and he doesn't kick on from his performance on Saturday and doesn't perform as well against celtic in the semi...then 1-2 million is more likely and I would hope we would keep him till the end of the season.

MacGruber
02-10-2017, 11:13 AM
It could be buy one get one free if we don't pull the finger out and get Dylan and offer..

snooky
02-10-2017, 11:17 AM
A gazillion + a bag of balls for trainng.

I'll up the stakes/steaks :wink: - a Brazilian + a decent pie vendor at ER.

NAE NOOKIE
02-10-2017, 12:06 PM
SJM is a five million quid player in anybody's book ..... that's not EPL prices, that's not even top end English championship prices. That figure is easily achievable provided there are a number of clubs looking at him.

The January window is probably the best one if you are looking to get top dollar for a player, by that time a lot of clubs are looking nervously at the bottom end of the table and will push the boat out in order to sign anybody they think can help their situation, they are likely to spend more than they normally would.

The only thing about SJM that will put off EPL managers is the habit he has that he just cant seem to shake of once or twice in a game playing himself into trouble and being dispossessed in poor areas, as he did at Parkhead on Saturday ..... In Scotland he will mostly get away with it, do that against just about any team in the EPL and you will probably concede a goal. If he can lose that from his game he has all the attributes to be a top level player, especially if he can continue to put away the goals like he did against Celtic.

Whatever money we get for him what wont be happening is Hibs spending most of it on a replacement close to a similar standard .... one million quid players demand one million quid player wages.

What we will be spending on is an indoor training facility, which LD seemed particularly keen on in a recent interview and has to be a great idea for the club, it will give us an advantage over a lot of clubs in this league ...... Yes lots of clubs have access to rented indoor facilities, but its a drain on their resources and they cant just choose when to use them. A different sport, but I witnessed an example of that at the superb Ravenscraig facility recently as Glasgow Warriors pro rugby team were chucked off the pitch to allow us lot to play walking football :greengrin

Uncle Rod tells me the rest will be spent on 1,500 seats in the corner of the FF / East with a 2,000 capacity supporters bar and grill behind it ... you heard it here first :aok:

Keith_M
02-10-2017, 12:41 PM

That sounds too painful to me.

HoboHarry
02-10-2017, 12:53 PM
As long as he isnae Sheidt I concur.... :greengrin

snooky
02-10-2017, 01:00 PM
That sounds too painful to me.

Aye you're right.
Phew, that was a close shave. :wink:

hughio
02-10-2017, 01:23 PM
SJM is a five million quid player in anybody's book ..... that's not EPL prices, that's not even top end English championship prices. That figure is easily achievable provided there are a number of clubs looking at him.

The January window is probably the best one if you are looking to get top dollar for a player, by that time a lot of clubs are looking nervously at the bottom end of the table and will push the boat out in order to sign anybody they think can help their situation, they are likely to spend more than they normally would.

The only thing about SJM that will put off EPL managers is the habit he has that he just cant seem to shake of once or twice in a game playing himself into trouble and being dispossessed in poor areas, as he did at Parkhead on Saturday ..... In Scotland he will mostly get away with it, do that against just about any team in the EPL and you will probably concede a goal. If he can lose that from his game he has all the attributes to be a top level player, especially if he can continue to put away the goals like he did against Celtic.

Whatever money we get for him what wont be happening is Hibs spending most of it on a replacement close to a similar standard .... one million quid players demand one million quid player wages.

What we will be spending on is an indoor training facility, which LD seemed particularly keen on in a recent interview and has to be a great idea for the club, it will give us an advantage over a lot of clubs in this league ...... Yes lots of clubs have access to rented indoor facilities, but its a drain on their resources and they cant just choose when to use them. A different sport, but I witnessed an example of that at the superb Ravenscraig facility recently as Glasgow Warriors pro rugby team were chucked off the pitch to allow us lot to play walking football :greengrin

Uncle Rod tells me the rest will be spent on 1,500 seats in the corner of the FF / East with a 2,000 capacity supporters bar and grill behind it ... you heard it here first :aok:

Interesting NN
We shall see

Phil MaGlass
02-10-2017, 01:40 PM
IMO I think if he keeps playing like he did against sellik, then we will get over 5 mill for him, peanuts in todays game.

MyJo
02-10-2017, 01:41 PM

The question is, will we have our safe standing corner up and running before or after tynecastle is finished :faf:

.Sean.
02-10-2017, 02:03 PM
All this talk of him going for 5 million etc - if that's the figure that the club will be looking for in the not too distant future should the club sell him after he signs a new deal with an understanding we'll sell him should we get a bid close to that, you can bet his agent will be wanting him to be paid to reflect this.

He's by far and away our best player and he should be paid accordingly if he's not already.

MWHIBBIES
02-10-2017, 05:54 PM
All this talk of him going for 5 million etc - if that's the figure that the club will be looking for in the not too distant future should the club sell him after he signs a new deal with an understanding we'll sell him should we get a bid close to that, you can bet his agent will be wanting him to be paid to reflect this.

He's by far and away our best player and he should be paid accordingly if he's not already.Is he actually far an away better than Stokes, Hanlon, McGeouch etc? Come on.

He is quality but not THAT good.

Nicho87
02-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Anything above £3 million hibs will really struggle not to blink I reckon. Painful as is it to say what club outwith smellies can turn down that cash.

Is It On....
02-10-2017, 08:46 PM
If he's refusing to sign a new deal then Hibs are getting into murky territory with only 18 months on his contract.

I think he's a cracking player who still has the potential to go up another level or two.

I hope we won't get any more derogatory offers from the likes of the breadman but I still can't see us getting anything above £3m.

He's worth much more IMO but then way Scottish football is perceived I still can't see anyone in England paying seriously big money for him.

Is he refusing to sign a new deal?

Forza Fred
02-10-2017, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=MyJo;5182572]£3m + Henderson[/QUOTE

Not sure Celtic would pay this at the moment for any player from another Scottish club.

Since they signed Scott Brown, any idea what their highest incoming transfer fee has been and for whom?

Speedy
03-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Not sure Celtic would pay this at the moment for any player from another Scottish club.

Since they signed Scott Brown, any idea what their highest incoming transfer fee has been and for whom?

Ntcham for £4.5m. Don't know for Scottish clubs.

MyJo
03-10-2017, 12:04 PM

Ntcham - 4.5m
Brown - £4.4m
Fortune - £3.8m
Sinclair - £3.5m

They paid Dundee United £1.5m for Ciftci and £1.25m for Barry Robson but most of the other signings from scottish clubs have either been undisclosed or free transfers.

McGinn is too valuable an asset to us to be allowed to see out his contract and move elsewhere without a transfer fee. McGinn will be sold in one of the next two transfer windows if he doesnt sign a new contract and Celtic will know that.

They also know that we value him highly and are not in a position that we are desperate for the money having already kicked out bids of over £1m for him this summer.

His performances in high profile matches like last weekends, the upcoming derby, semi-final and international matches will only add to the interest from elsewhere if he plays as well as we know he is capable of.

Celtic will either have to pay the price that we value him at or risk him being sold to another club down south and missing out altogether.

happiehibbie
03-10-2017, 12:21 PM
I predict he will not go to Celtic !! 3/10/2017 :)

Hibernia&Alba
03-10-2017, 12:31 PM
I predict he will not go to Celtic !! 3/10/2017 :)

I'm not sure they would want him. He'd only be back up at best, IMHO.

Smartie
03-10-2017, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure they would want him. He'd only be back up at best, IMHO.

Initially.

Scott Brown's not going to last forever though.

Hibernia&Alba
03-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Initially.

True, Smartie, but would SJM be a clear improvement on Brown? A Champions League club like Celtc will want to make a big statement to replace him. I'm not sure; we'll just have to wait and see if they make a move.

blackpoolhibs
03-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Initially.

Of course he won't last forever, but I don't see McGinn as the same type of player. I don't think he's the type to sit in and watch the game in front of him.

Scott Brown has learnt this over the years, but why buy someone like McGinn who may or may not be able to do the job, when they can buy one who already does this?

I'd not be confident of McGinn doing Brown's job, he takes too many risks and loses the ball in dangerous places too often for me.

He may improve on that, but I see him as someone who wants to play further forward.

Smartie
03-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Of course he won't last forever, but I don't see McGinn as the same type of player. I don't think he's the type to sit in and watch the game in front of him.

Scott Brown has learnt this over the years, but why buy someone like McGinn who may or may not be able to do the job, when they can buy one who already does this?

I'd not be confident of McGinn doing Brown's job, he takes too many risks and loses the ball in dangerous places too often for me.

He may improve on that, but I see him as someone who wants to play further forward.

Scott Brown now is a very different player to the one Celtic bought.

With the attributes McGinn has, I could see him becoming more like Brown over time.

I agree that there's a carelessness that needs to be coached out of him but he's a good player who is getting better.

Not a like for like replacement just now but a player I'm sure they'd like to have.

Hibernia&Alba
03-10-2017, 01:06 PM

With the attributes McGinn has, I could see him becoming more like Brown over time.

I agree that there's a carelessness that needs to be coached out of him but he's a good player who is getting better.

Not a like for like replacement just now but a player I'm sure they'd like to have.

Then, at the very least, the Brown transfer fee should apply :agree:

blackpoolhibs
03-10-2017, 01:11 PM

Yip Brown is a completely different player to the one we had. :agree:

Personally, I don't see him becoming the new Scott Brown, but I do agree they must have been impressed with him on Saturday, and would probably like him at Parkhead.

Michael
03-10-2017, 01:16 PM
If he signs a new deal he'll get a very good club and better wage come the summer. The club gets a bigger fee. Win-win.