PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Hibs fan. I don't think it would be appropriate

theonlywayisup
30-09-2017, 06:36 PM
Isn't it great that Leigh Griffiths said that he wouldn't celebrate if he scored against us today. "I'm a Hibs fan. I don't think it would be appropriate"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41434869

Far too often, we've players who suddenly become Celtic or The Rangers fans when they join the great unwashed. Well done Sparky for saying he'll give everything for Celtic, but he's a Hibs fan and he'll always will be.

Well done Sparky.

Billy Whizz
30-09-2017, 06:38 PM
He got a good reception at the end of the game, and gave a wave to the Hibs supporters
Come home Sparky

Carheenlea
30-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Still didn't merit the mass adulation from Hibs fans when he came on - didn't feel comfortable with that at all when we were in with a great chance of winning. Hibs fan or not, he is a Celtic player, and was embarrassed with the reception he got when he came on.

Sir David Gray
30-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Still didn't merit the mass adulation from Hibs fans when he came on - didn't feel comfortable with that at all when we were in with a great chance of winning. Hibs fan or not, he is a Celtic player, and was embarrassed with the reception he got when he came on.

The only current Celtic player I would give that sort of reaction to would be Liam Henderson.

givescotlandfreedom
30-09-2017, 06:50 PM

What kind of a reaction did he get?

Carheenlea
30-09-2017, 06:56 PM
What kind of a reaction did he get?

Hearty applause and roundly cheered with a rendition of "he's one of our own" as he took to the field. Cringeworthy.

cleanyman
30-09-2017, 06:57 PM
Yes. Cringe.

SouthMoroccoStu
30-09-2017, 07:04 PM
"he's one of our own" as he took to the field. Cringeworthy.

Probably more to wind up the Celtic fans

After years of pandering, Old firm fans genuinely can't understand that someone from Scotland doesn't support them

Celtic fans hate it when Leigh attends our games

givescotlandfreedom
30-09-2017, 07:06 PM
Hearty applause and roundly cheered with a rendition of "he's one of our own" as he took to the field. Cringeworthy.

That is a bit much.

SouthMoroccoStu
Devils advocate and cat among the pigeons...

If Stokes had scored and didn't celebrate, who would we have reacted

After all he is a Celtic fan

hibs4life
Hibs fans in showing their affection for ex player shocker!
The cringe is for fans who always think you need to be anti. Applauding him as he came on and at the end of the game didnt give him or Celtic an advantage, so for me, it's not a problem.

Carheenlea
30-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Hibs fans in showing their affection for ex player shocker!
The cringe is for fans who always think you need to be anti. Applauding him as he came on and at the end of the game didnt give him or Celtic an advantage, so for me, it's not a problem.

Each to their own, and plenty in the support shared your view, but it wasn't for me.

Jack Hackett
30-09-2017, 07:48 PM
I have not, and never have had, a problem with Leigh playing for celtc. He is one of our own, and is prepared to stand up and declare it.

We cannot afford him. He has every right to work for someone who can, for the limited time of his career. That will never make him less of a Hibby

jacomo
30-09-2017, 08:00 PM

Makes sense to me. Try and get inside the boys head and remind him where his true loyalties lie.

I'm not accusing LG of not trying against us. I'm sure he did. But even small, sub-conscious details can make a difference.

Jonnyboy
30-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Fair play to Leigh, he is deadly at placing free kick's exactly where he wants them and his effort into the wall is proof positive :greengrin

jabis
30-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Each to their own, and plenty in the support shared your view, but it wasn't for me.

One view, 20% of the posts.

I have no idea what my point is, other than I'm pissed in Madrid :-)

Iggy Pope
30-09-2017, 08:37 PM

Is that not just exactly it? Nail, head, in a nutshell etc.

cammy1969
30-09-2017, 09:01 PM
Nothing wrong with showing a little respect imo Celtic and hibs mean a lot to Neil and Leigh and it makes a pleasant change from the usual, maybe if other teams players and fans showed a little more respect instead of the bile they spout, it would maybe a little more enjoyable at times. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vini1875
30-09-2017, 09:08 PM
How did people feel about the hearty applause from the celtc fans for Neil Lennon? They gave him a welcome and respect, then got behind their team. To me Hibs fans did the same thing with Leigh, no big deal.

jacomo
30-09-2017, 09:21 PM
Devils advocate and cat among the pigeons...

If Stokes had scored and didn't celebrate, who would we have reacted

After all he is a Celtic fan

Personally I believe his plan was to run in front of the directors box and give it a massive GIRFUY.

Sadly we didn't get the chance to find out.

Hi Heid Yin
30-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Leigh is part of our Hibs family and just happens to be doing what we all strive to do, earn as much as he can in the time he has available.
His love for our club remains undiminished whilst he plays for one of our rivals.
LG has earned respect and admiration from this Hibby.

houstonhibbee
30-09-2017, 09:31 PM
I have not, and never have had, a problem with Leigh playing for celtc. He is one of our own, and is prepared to stand up and declare it.

We cannot afford him. He has every right to work for someone who can, for the limited time of his career. That will never make him less of a Hibby

:top marks

The Harp Awakes
30-09-2017, 09:51 PM
Leigh is part of our Hibs family and just happens to be doing what we all strive to do, earn as much as he can in the time he has available.
His love for our club remains undiminished whilst he plays for one of our rivals.
LG has earned respect and admiration from this Hibby.

Leigh is a Hibs man. Don't care who he plays for. Love the guy.

My_Wife_Camille
01-10-2017, 01:15 AM
Depends on your point of view. I'm usually on the side of applauding opposition players being cringey but today I knew it would wind up the Celtic fans, especially post match, so was all for it.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-10-2017, 04:00 AM
How did people feel about the hearty applause from the celtc fans for Neil Lennon? They gave him a welcome and respect, then got behind their team. To me Hibs fans did the same thing with Leigh, no big deal.

It's interesting to contrast all this with Wilkins' halfwitterty after a shocker of a "performance" for us against the original Gers. Has he ever talked about his spell here? Miller was really "jumping the shark" I think might be the phrase the Americans use - he'd run out of ideas was stale and was a bit of a last roll of the dice to see if fortunes changed. He also brought in Bannon ffs!

hibbiedon
01-10-2017, 05:51 AM
For years I have heard Hibs players being subjected to vile abuse when playing for Hibs, some even being jeered when they are brought on, Brian Hamilton Colin Nish etc. Now we cheer players coming on who play against us. confused.com

green day
01-10-2017, 06:13 AM
For years I have heard Hibs players being subjected to vile abuse when playing for Hibs, some even being jeered when they are brought on, Brian Hamilton Colin Nish etc. Now we cheer players coming on who play against us. confused.com

It's not confusing, read the link the OP put up. Griffiths said he wouldn't celebrate, because he's a Hibs fan.

LG comes to Hibs games when he's not playing, I don't know what Brian Hamilton does, probably selling stamps in his post office.

Borderhibbie76
01-10-2017, 06:45 AM
He got a good reception at the end of the game, and gave a wave to the Hibs supporters
Come home SparkyYou know you want too sparky [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
01-10-2017, 06:47 AM
Fair play to Leigh, he is deadly at placing free kick's exactly where he wants them and his effort into the wall is proof positive :greengrinMust admit I thought that too...when does Sparky ever hit a wall??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bristolhibby
01-10-2017, 06:54 AM
One view, 20% of the posts.

I have no idea what my point is, other than I'm pissed in Madrid :-)

That must have been one hell of a night out in Glasgow after the game!

J

Hibernia&Alba
01-10-2017, 07:03 AM
:hyper

Nakedmanoncrack
01-10-2017, 08:30 PM
Isn't it great that Leigh Griffiths said that he wouldn't celebrate if he scored against us today. "I'm a Hibs fan. I don't think it would be appropriate"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41434869

Far too often, we've players who suddenly become Celtic or The Rangers fans when they join the great unwashed. Well done Sparky for saying he'll give everything for Celtic, but he's a Hibs fan and he'll always will be.

Well done Sparky.

He'll be back to kissing the Celtic badge for their next game.

MB62
01-10-2017, 08:43 PM
Did a Celtic fan not score twice against them on Saturday?

Billy Whizz
01-10-2017, 08:56 PM
Did a Celtic fan not score twice against them on Saturday?

And seemingly had a season ticket for 15 years at Parkhead, but boy did he celebrate his goals yesterday

jabis
01-10-2017, 09:03 PM
That must have been one hell of a night out in Glasgow after the game!

J

Currently soberish in Bellagio, keep asking the sport shops in Italy if they have any hibernian strips :-)

HibernianJK
02-10-2017, 08:28 AM
I honestly think there is far too much made of celebrating against your former team. If you do, so ****, your celebrating a goal for the team paying you a considerable wage. Of course not doing it shows some respect but it really doesn't bother me either way.

HibsNibs
02-10-2017, 08:51 AM
From the BBC highlights it looks like he had a wee fist pump after they equalised. Fair enough, celtc pay his wages.

heretoday
02-10-2017, 09:03 AM
He gave an assist for their equaliser. Some way to treat your old mates.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo .......! :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
02-10-2017, 09:39 AM
And seemingly had a season ticket for 15 years at Parkhead, but boy did he celebrate his goals yesterday

His grandfather, Jack McGinn, was Celtic's chairman before Fergus McCann took over.

Speedway
02-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Have we signed Commons yet?