PDA

View Full Version : Nonsense, Conte, they're fit, professionals.

Hibbyradge
28-09-2017, 08:14 AM
I used to play 4 times a week, including Saturday and Sunday, and you didn't hear me complaining about being tired.

Sometimes I might have rubbed deep heat on a sore bit, but cold baths and the like were unheard of.

Stop your moaning, Conte (and all the other similarly minded players, coaches and managers). Just tell your players to "man up" and get on with it.

:bitchy:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/27/chelsea-antonio-conte-manchester-city-atletico-madrid?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

JohnM1875
28-09-2017, 08:19 AM
I actually agree with Conte. I don’t think it is enough time to recover and prepare. Especially when you throw in having to travel back to London.

If it was Hibs only getting this amount of time to prepare for one of their biggest games of the season I’d be raging.

JimBHibees
28-09-2017, 08:20 AM
I actually agree with Conte. I don’t think it is enough time to recover and prepare. Especially when you throw in having to travel back to London.

If it was Hibs only getting this amount of time to prepare for one of their biggest games of the season I’d be raging.

Agree ridiculous scheduling.

Michael
28-09-2017, 08:22 AM
I think there's a difference between playing 4 times a week for fun and playing at the top level of football.

bingo70
28-09-2017, 08:24 AM
I think there's a difference between playing 4 times a week for fun and playing at the top level of football.

It's all relative.

If you're playing against other professionals who are also playing 4 times a week then all is fair, if you're playing against other professionals who are only playing once or twice of course they have an advantage.

Baader
28-09-2017, 08:30 AM
Two minds on it. But if you compare football to tennis, for example, and the schedules, physical fitness and sacrifices tennis players make then you can't help but think footballers have a relatively easy time of it overall.

Smartie
28-09-2017, 08:32 AM

To be fair to Conte, this is poor scheduling.

But with the money he has available, should he not have a strong enough squad to rotate as necessary to keep players fresh?

Keith_M
28-09-2017, 08:51 AM
I used to be a Window Cleaner and run up and down ladders 5 days a week, do Taekwondo on the Saturday then play 5's on the Sunday and you never heard me complaining!

Actually, that's not true, I've always been a moaning faced git, but that aside...

brog
28-09-2017, 08:57 AM
I tend to agree with the OP, I can remember Hibs playing 3 games in 4 days at New Year. Same 11 players on the park for all 3 games, no subs, gluepots of pitches & playing with cannonballs! Having said that it was a fair (if muddy) playing field in that all teams were doing the same. Conte has a point but he should have made his point much earlier when the fixtures were announced & the EPL really can't complain about TV scheduling. If you sell your soul to the devil!

blackpoolhibs
28-09-2017, 09:03 AM
I tend to agree with the OP, I can remember Hibs playing 3 games in 4 days at New Year. Same 11 players on the park for all 3 games, no subs, gluepots of pitches & playing with cannonballs! Having said that it was a fair (if muddy) playing field in that all teams were doing the same. Conte has a point but he should have made his point much earlier when the fixtures were announced & the EPL really can't complain about TV scheduling. If you sell your soul to the devil!

Exactly, and its always the same 4 or 5 managers who moan, yet they have the biggest budgets and best players.

They should try managing further down the food chain to see just how hard it is to really manage.

lucky
28-09-2017, 09:18 AM
How can tennis players play for 3 or 4 hours then play again the next day? Conte is wrong and players are pampered

bingo70
28-09-2017, 09:23 AM
How can tennis players play for 3 or 4 hours then play again the next day? Conte is wrong and players are pampered

Because they're playing against other players who are in the same boat?

He's not saying the players can't do it, just that it's bound to effect performance, especially if playing against teams that are only playing once or twice a week.

Liam89
28-09-2017, 09:39 AM
I can see it from both sides. I think there will be a slight difference in physical fitness when playing at the highest level against opposition who may have had a day or two more rest than your team. However, I think psychologically, managers coming out and saying stuff like this will only make their players feel more tired than they are.

tamig
28-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Tennis players have far tougher schedules. Footballers have never earned as much as they do today. They should just get on with it.

Steve-O
28-09-2017, 09:59 AM
Can't see how playing on a Wednesday and then a Saturday is a big deal. Happens ALL time! It's Madrid they were at, not Melbourne FFS.

Sir David Gray
28-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Can't see how playing on a Wednesday and then a Saturday is a big deal. Happens ALL time! It's Madrid they were at, not Melbourne FFS.

And i'm sure they didn't fly back in economy class either.

MB62
28-09-2017, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=Keekaboo;5179620]I used to be a Window Cleaner and run up and down ladders 5 days a week, do Taekwondo on the Saturday then play 5's on the Sunday and you never heard me complaining![QUOTE]

Bloody luxury.

When I was a Lad.......................................... :greengrin

greenpaper55
28-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Tennis players get a seat and a chance to get their breath back after two games so i don't think you can compare the two sports, the level of fitness of top footballers these days is tremendous and you simply cannot keep doing that week in week out without some damage occurring in the long run.

green day
28-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Tennis players get a seat and a chance to get their breath back after two games so i don't think you can compare the two sports, the level of fitness of top footballers these days is tremendous and you simply cannot keep doing that week in week out without some damage occurring in the long run.

While I agree that footballers are fit, I dont agree that they are fitter than tennis players (if thats what you mean). Tennis players push it out for 4 hours sometimes, some football players cramp up after extra time.

I think its more reasonable to say they are both conditioned well to their respective sports.

As for Conte, if it was Stoke he was playing, then I agree, but he is playing a team that have also played midweek - dry yer eyes Conte !!

Ryan69
28-09-2017, 10:28 AM

Try joining the Army!

You get alot more excercise and less money to recuperate with!

Footballers are generally overpayed primmadonnas.

Andy74
28-09-2017, 10:33 AM
While I agree that footballers are fit, I dont agree that they are fitter than tennis players (if thats what you mean). Tennis players push it out for 4 hours sometimes, some football players cramp up after extra time.

I think its more reasonable to say they are both conditioned well to their respective sports.

As for Conte, if it was Stoke he was playing, then I agree, but he is playing a team that have also played midweek - dry yer eyes Conte !!

Tennis players would have the same argument here - scheduling is regularly criticised if other players get rest days when other have had to play through.

Tennis players will also try and win 5 setters in the least amount of sets possible to remain that bit fitter as the tournament progresses. It is recognised that anyone who has played a succession of longer games will be at a disadvantage later on.

CapitalGreen
28-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Try joining the Army!

You get alot more excercise and less money to recuperate with!

Footballers are generally overpayed primmadonnas.

Pay Soldiers footballer wages!

Hibbyradge
28-09-2017, 11:13 AM
Poe's Law proved again.

Mikey09
28-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Nae sympathy from me. Clubs like Chelsea have spent vast amounts not to build a fantastic first 11 but an entire squad of quality to deal with these situations. It's up to Conte to juggle players to win CL games and EPL ones.

Danderhall Hibs
28-09-2017, 11:22 AM
They're actually getting more recovery time than Celtic will before our semi final. Good news - waiting on the media clocking this. Imagine the complaints!

Mantis Toboggan
28-09-2017, 11:23 AM
I think it's a load of absolute crap. Look at how much money Chelsea make from being in the PL and CL. And they are saying they can't play on a Wednesday and a Saturday? He getting his excuses in early.

Steve20
28-09-2017, 11:52 AM
Wednesday to Saturday should be no problem at all. Conte getting his excuses in early.

Keith_M
28-09-2017, 11:54 AM
I used to be a Window Cleaner and run up and down ladders 5 days a week, do Taekwondo on the Saturday then play 5's on the Sunday and you never heard me complaining

Bloody luxury.

When I was a Lad.......................................... :greengrin

I sense a Four Yorkshiremen sketch coming up..

:greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
28-09-2017, 03:00 PM
I for one hope Celtic are knackered on Saturday

MWHIBBIES
28-09-2017, 03:05 PM
4 games in 8 days is mental and asking for players to get injured. Conte is spot on.

If this was Hibs Lennon would be complaining and rightly so.

brog
28-09-2017, 03:18 PM
4 games in 8 days is mental and asking for players to get injured. Conte is spot on.

If this was Hibs Lennon would be complaining and rightly so.

It would be but as it's only 3 games I don't see the problem. 😀

Brooster
28-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Getting his excuses in early. Obviously cacking it.

silverhibee
28-09-2017, 03:46 PM

I'm pretty sure tennis players get a 2 minute break every 2 games they play during the set, and i always thought that they played 1 day and the next day was to rest and practice and back to play the next day, and do tennis players not get something like a 3 month break from the sport, some top football players who play at the highest level will have to play for the club and get 10 days off and they are away for international duty in the summer and it's straight back to club for pre season, I don't think players are pampered, paid to much, yes, but not pampered.

silverhibee
28-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Tennis players have far tougher schedules. Footballers have never earned as much as they do today. They should just get on with it.

Players do get on with it, it's the managers who are complaining.

Haymaker
28-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Players do get on with it, it's the managers who are complaining.

Players love to play, it's managers who have to deal with injury hit squads which may have affected their employment.

blackpoolhibs
28-09-2017, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty sure tennis players get a 2 minute break every 2 games they play during the set, and i always thought that they played 1 day and the next day was to rest and practice and back to play the next day, and do tennis players not get something like a 3 month break from the sport, some top football players who play at the highest level will have to play for the club and get 10 days off and they are away for international duty in the summer and it's straight back to club for pre season, I don't think players are pampered, paid to much, yes, but not pampered.

They do, what they don't have is a replacement they can bring in to take his shots when they are tired. :greengrin

silverhibee
28-09-2017, 04:36 PM
They do, what they don't have is a replacement they can bring in to take his shots when they are tired. :greengrin

But when they get tired they can always call on the pee break to take during sets to have a wee rest. :greengrin

silverhibee
28-09-2017, 04:43 PM
Players love to play, it's managers who have to deal with injury hit squads which may have affected their employment.

Of course they do, and managers need there top players to perform in every game, most managers have played the game and know how hard it is to keep up the levels players need playing every game, some folk seem to think it's a easy thing to do, as you will know, it's not.

Bostonhibby
28-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Rub a bit of deep heat on their bollox and tell them to get on with it, I agree.

It's a man's game, it's only man City they're playing. When I were a lad we used to play football continuously for 24 hours at a time. All we had to eat was chewing tobacco, ball was made out of a cows udder filled with gravel and our boots were made of old orange boxes.

Southern softies the lot of them. You'd think they were being paid billions by TV companies to agree to the scheduling.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

silverhibee
28-09-2017, 04:48 PM

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
28-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Has anyone got the stats on how many actual games these poor cherubs are being asked to play over the course of a season?

LaMotta
28-09-2017, 05:26 PM
It would be but as it's only 3 games I don't see the problem. 😀

Neither do I.

And the reason the game is on Saturday? Because BT Sport chose it for their Sat night TV slot.

If only EPL clubs received some kind of financial windfall for this to compensate them for such TV scheduling annoyances......

MWHIBBIES
28-09-2017, 05:35 PM
It would be but as it's only 3 games I don't see the problem. 😀Sorry, was reading another piece earlier on about Arsenal possibly having 4 in 8.

Hibernia&Alba
28-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Top level professionals and clubs with international squads should be more than able to play Wednesday-Saturday. They've only been to Madrid and back. Man United have had a round trip to Russia and play on Saturday. That's the consequence of playing in Europe.

Thecat23
28-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Pay Soldiers footballer wages!

Not being cheeky but why? You’d get every man and their dog joining the army/navy etc.

Same when folk say footballers don’t deserve it nurses do. Yes we all know that’s true but a nurse knows what the money is before going the NHS as does firemen and so on.

Footballers are overpaid no doubt about it nurses and the rest are underpaid but that’s life. Football is where the money is and if good and lucky enough then I say get the most money you can out the game.

brog
28-09-2017, 08:12 PM

There's a few major differences between footballers & tennis players. To win a tennis major you need to play & win 7 matches in 13 or 14 days. These matches will average between 3 & 4 hours meaning the winner will play for about a full day in total. The other major difference is the tennis player is the only person playing all the time he's on court. The ball is only in play for about 60% of a football match & only a few players are involved in some phases of the game in that time. TBF to our cherished & underpaid footballers (I'm talking England here) no one's going around tripping, kicking or elbowing tennis players. Both sports demand great skill & fitness but I genuinely doubt if there's ever been a Scottish footballer with the fitness & dedication of Andy Murray.

Mikey09
28-09-2017, 11:13 PM
There's a few major differences between footballers & tennis players. To win a tennis major you need to play & win 7 matches in 13 or 14 days. These matches will average between 3 & 4 hours meaning the winner will play for about a full day in total. The other major difference is the tennis player is the only person playing all the time he's on court. The ball is only in play for about 60% of a football match & only a few players are involved in some phases of the game in that time. TBF to our cherished & underpaid footballers (I'm talking England here) no one's going around tripping, kicking or elbowing tennis players. Both sports demand great skill & fitness but I genuinely doubt if there's ever been a Scottish footballer with the fitness & dedication of Andy Murray.

....is the correct answer! Close thread! :greengrin

Forza Fred
29-09-2017, 02:06 AM

I'mflying doon to Melbourne from Sydney for The Australia Hibs 30th anniversary celebration in a fortnight.

Pretty sure I'll need a few days of recovery after that......:wink:

Forza Fred
29-09-2017, 02:08 AM

Eric Shaedler?

jacomo
29-09-2017, 04:50 AM

:agree:

He's saying they have a day less than their opponents to prepare for the match, putting them at a *relative* disadvantage.

Skol
29-09-2017, 05:24 AM
Play the game on Sunday and they still have a day less

Hibbyradge
29-09-2017, 08:45 AM
Eric Shaedler?

Eric was extremely fit, but that was compared to 60's and 70's footballers.

I would think modern day players are a lot fitter then Eric was.

MWHIBBIES
29-09-2017, 09:13 AM
There's a few major differences between footballers & tennis players. To win a tennis major you need to play & win 7 matches in 13 or 14 days. These matches will average between 3 & 4 hours meaning the winner will play for about a full day in total. The other major difference is the tennis player is the only person playing all the time he's on court. The ball is only in play for about 60% of a football match & only a few players are involved in some phases of the game in that time. TBF to our cherished & underpaid footballers (I'm talking England here) no one's going around tripping, kicking or elbowing tennis players. Both sports demand great skill & fitness but I genuinely doubt if there's ever been a Scottish footballer with the fitness & dedication of Andy Murray.Darren Fletcher used to run for 90 minutes against the best players in the world. His injury obviously changed that but he was extremely fit before then

Andy74
29-09-2017, 12:28 PM

That's a bit like saying Usain Bolt didn't have to be that fit because he only runs for less than 10 seconds every so often.

Different needs for different sports.

jgl07
30-09-2017, 12:00 AM
Conte has a big squad. He should use it.

Other teams have to cope with fixture congestion including Celtic who have two and a half hours less to recover from Wednesday fixtures.