PDA

View Full Version : 25 years ago this week

G B Young
27-09-2017, 07:07 PM
With Celtic playing Anderlecht tonight it seemed an opportune time to remind those of you who were there of an enjoyable European night for Hibs a quarter of a century ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxOX9yYzvnA

WhileTheChief..
27-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Something that always bugged me about this game....

I'm pretty sure that right at the end of the first half Keith Wright broke away and was one on one with the keeper when the ref blew the whistle. We couldn't believe that the game stopped at such a crucial moment when we were certain to score.

It was never shown on the highlights and I don't think it was mentioned in the papers. I felt totally cheated that night.

Did any of that actually happen?!

stantonhibby
27-09-2017, 08:04 PM
With Celtic playing Anderlecht tonight it seemed an opportune time to remind those of you who were there of an enjoyable European night for Hibs a quarter of a century ago:

Remember it well....we were in the upper tier right next to the home fans. Fish from Marillion was behind us in a green tartan suit. Bedlam when Jackson scored. Was the best ground i'd been to by a mile back then.

One Day Soon
27-09-2017, 10:02 PM
I seem to remember being in the away end. Can that be right?

DickieDastardly
27-09-2017, 10:27 PM
Great trip away, we flew from Manchester on the Sunday, the airport was full of Utd fans heading off for a Euro game.

Remember sitting on the Monday having a beer outside this cafe and this loud thumping noise got louder and louder, then round the corner came a couple of ramshackle McKendry of Loanhead coaches which were bedecked with flags and scarfs and were absolutely bouncing :greengrin

Deansy
27-09-2017, 11:01 PM

Wow - watching that brings back good/bad memories ! They were a really good side but spoiled it with their theatrics - but why-oh-why have refereees never cottoned on to blatant play-acting such as Anderlecht displayed here ??. Their penalty was bad enough (01:19) but Mickey Weir's red-card (04:02) was a joke - Anderlecht-player goes down in agony, clutching his stomach but then the 'agony' moves to his foot ??.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znkp0n7iOh0

MB62
28-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Remember it well....we were in the upper tier right next to the home fans. Fish from Marillion was behind us in a green tartan suit. Bedlam when Jackson scored. Was the best ground i'd been to by a mile back then.

We were all herded in to a 'pen' behind the goal and it was scary stuff. There far too many Hibs fans got in to that area, despite it being an all ticket area. The crushing was incredible and I spent a good 10 minutes trying to protect a terrified young girl who had got a bit detached from her Dad, as I had both hands on the fence and tried to form a barrier of sorts around her. Desperate pleas to their police to open up the EMPTY area to our right, fell on deaf ears initially, but thankfully somebody seen sense and they eventually opened it up to us.

A fantastic turnout and backing from the Hibs support (although as always, there were a few bams who will probably not even remember being there) and another tie I thought we deserved to win.

stantonhibby
28-09-2017, 10:23 AM
We were all herded in to a 'pen' behind the goal and it was scary stuff. There far too many Hibs fans got in to that area, despite it being an all ticket area. The crushing was incredible and I spent a good 10 minutes trying to protect a terrified young girl who had got a bit detached from her Dad, as I had both hands on the fence and tried to form a barrier of sorts around her. Desperate pleas to their police to open up the EMPTY area to our right, fell on deaf ears initially, but thankfully somebody seen sense and they eventually opened it up to us.

A fantastic turnout and backing from the Hibs support (although as always, there were a few bams who will probably not even remember being there) and another tie I thought we deserved to win.

You can see that on the footage for the Anderlecht goal. We were in a seated area above the 'pen'

MartinfaePorty
28-09-2017, 11:27 AM
One of my mates, along with a number of other Hibs fans, chanced their arm and managed to use their stand ticket to get in the terracing. Think that's why it was so crowded.