PDA

View Full Version : Smoking at Half Time?

Scouse Hibee
25-09-2017, 09:47 AM
Can the smokers confirm, do Hibs let smokers out of all stands at half time?

Cabbage East
25-09-2017, 10:02 AM
They definitely do in the East and West. The East is a bit of a free for all whereas the West sometimes give you a wristband. Not sure about the FF.

Lancs Harp
25-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Cigars only in the West.

Nakedmanoncrack
25-09-2017, 10:33 AM
FF as well.

Scouse Hibee
25-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Cheers guys.

BegbieHSC
25-09-2017, 11:11 AM
It's a bit of a challenge in the FF tbf.

Obviously East and West are closed off to the roads while the match is underway, so the chances of folk being able to sneak in there is low, but as the FF goes directly on to the road, there are makeshift fences in place kettling smokers in a bit, and to stop any unauthorised entires - alot of smoke/vape clouds flows right back in to the concourse because people are cordoned into such a small area for it.

So yeah, every stand as far as I know, but a word of warning if you are in the FF and go out for a fag, it's not a particularly pleasant experience.

Navids Numpties
25-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Long gone are the days crowing people would be wading about in urine just for a cheeky snout.

NAE NOOKIE
25-09-2017, 11:38 AM
It's a bit of a challenge in the FF tbf.

Obviously East and West are closed off to the roads while the match is underway, so the chances of folk being able to sneak in there is low, but as the FF goes directly on to the road, there are makeshift fences in place kettling smokers in a bit, and to stop any unauthorised entires - alot of smoke/vape clouds flows right back in to the concourse because people are cordoned into such a small area for it.

So yeah, every stand as far as I know, but a word of warning if you are in the FF and go out for a fag, it's not a particularly pleasant experience.

Its true, at the cup derby last season it was like the black hole of Calcutta there were so many smokers corralled into a small area at the main stand side of the FF, though why G4S, the club, or whoever is responsible refuse to extend the barriers from the exit doors right up to where the pavement starts is beyond me.

And a word of warning ..... at that same match a guy who had seen a relative walking past left the smoking area to talk to him and when he came back G4S wouldn't let him back in even though a number of folk, myself included, confirmed that we had seen him leave the smoking area and he had a match ticket on him. The cops got involved and sided with G4S's rather jobsworth approach to the incident. Don't take the opportunity to pop round to the shops or chat to a mate round at the east if you go out for a fag in the FF, chances are you wont get back in.

I don't like to moan about that stuff too much though ..... as a smoker who was having his enjoyment of attending ER diluted somewhat by having to spend two hours without a fag between entering the stadium and leaving it I'm grateful that the club came to the sensible decision of letting smokers out at half time, and I'm pretty sure folk using the bogs at half time are glad of it too.

pacoluna
25-09-2017, 12:43 PM
2 Hours without a fag. It must be so difficult.

Billy Whizz
25-09-2017, 12:46 PM
2 Hours without a fag it must be so difficult.

And makes the East stand absolutely freezing in winter, when the doors are open

Peevemor
25-09-2017, 01:02 PM

I can easily go 2 hours without a cigarette, but I struggle when watching a match. Even watching on Hibs TV - I pop outside for a fag at half time (I don't smoke in the house).

NAE NOOKIE
25-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Well mate .... the point isn't really the difficulty, if you smoke after about an hour you start wanting a fag ( hell anybody would think its an addiction ) which means a wee bit of the enjoyment of going to the match is taken away. I go to the football because I want to support my club and its, mostly :greengrin, supposed to be an enjoyable pastime ... its less enjoyable for me, and I dare say a lot of other smokers, if we are effectively forced to go without a fag for longer than would normally be the case.

I mean .... there are many, many things that folk like or need that they can do without for a period of time .... I mean I could go a whole day without a drink of water, but why the hell would I approve of or enjoy a situation where I was made to, especially when I was paying for the privilege?

pacoluna
25-09-2017, 01:07 PM
it's either that or walk into a wall of smoke when going for a piss. I'm surprised G4S open the gates at HT, thought it might have breached security and safety requirements.

-Jonesy-
25-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Non smokers die every day - Bill Hicks

NAE NOOKIE
25-09-2017, 11:04 PM
it's either that or walk into a wall of smoke when going for a piss. I'm surprised G4S open the gates at HT, thought it might have breached security and safety requirements.

Well. I've been outside for a fag at half time in both the FF and the east since Hibs started allowing folk out and I'm delighted to report that so far there has been no rush from a ticketless mob trying to take advantage of the open gates and that each gate has at least one steward manning it, so that takes care of the security angle. I'm at a loss to work out how gates whose sole purpose is to allow the maximum amount of people to exit the stadium quickly being opened at any time could be considered a safety issue.

Baw187
26-09-2017, 02:33 AM
Tynie was the worst for going to the bog before common sense prevailed and they let people smoke down the stairs in the open area. Basically you went for a piss and left feeling like you had emphysema.

Also there are no safety issues with letting our fellow fans who smoke out for a quick fag.

Hermit Crab
26-09-2017, 04:09 AM
They definitely do in the East and West. The East is a bit of a free for all whereas the West sometimes give you a wristband. Not sure about the FF.

Never had a wristband and neither has anyone I know, unless of course I'm missing the joke?

Hibee87
26-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Never had a wristband and neither has anyone I know, unless of course I'm missing the joke?

I could be wrong but i think the wristbands are given to those in the poshseasts and/or any of the hospitality psckages. For why i dont know

Hibbyradge
26-09-2017, 08:59 AM
Long gone are the days crowing people would be wading about in urine just for a cheeky snout.

As are the days of going for a pee and choking on smoke from people who have no respect for the needs or rights of others and who are unable not to poison themselves for a couple of hours .

👍

jgl07
26-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Non smokers die every day - Bill Hicks

Said the guy who died of cancer aged 32!

CMurdoch
26-09-2017, 10:17 AM

Bore Alert
I saw Bill Hicks at the Queens Hall :greengrin
He was a brilliant comedian.
Probably the only gig he did in Edinburgh.

Onceinawhile
26-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Bore Alert
I saw Bill Hicks at the Queens Hall :greengrin
He was a brilliant comedian.
Probably the only gig he did in Edinburgh.

Fairly sure he did a fringe, so unlikely.

Good hibs fan bill hicks.

-Jonesy-
26-09-2017, 10:22 AM

Pancreatic though, basically got a three months to live initial diagnosis.
Booked even more shows after hearing the news to go out with a bang.
A legend and a prophet.

Hibbyradge
26-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Pancreatic though, basically got a three months to live initial diagnosis.
Booked even more shows after hearing the news to go out with a bang.
A legend and a prophet.

"Smoking is a leading cause of cancer and death from cancer. It causes cancers of the lung, esophagus, larynx, mouth, throat, kidney, bladder, liver, pancreas, stomach, cervix, colon, and rectum, as well as acute myeloid leukemia."

-Jonesy-
26-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Ah well, do as I say not as I do etc

CMurdoch
26-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Fairly sure he did a fringe, so unlikely.

Good hibs fan bill hicks.

Did only 1 gig as part of the fringe in 1991 or 1992. Can't remember which one.

Onceinawhile
27-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Did only 1 gig as part of the fringe in 1991 or 1992. Can't remember which one.

Fair enough 🖒

Funnily enough hibs have a 100% record at parkhrad when bill hicks is there. Must be an omen he gets brought up this week.🤔

Danderhall Hibs
27-09-2017, 09:16 PM

The big open bit that faces the pitch doesn't help with that either.

DH1875
28-09-2017, 07:04 AM
The big open bit that faces the pitch doesn't help with that either.

Often wondered why you can't actually smoke in your seat because of this big open bit your talking about :greengrin:confused:. It's not exactly indoors is it. I've been in 100s off places where the smoking area/shelter is a lot more enclosed then the East stand.

Hibbyradge
28-09-2017, 07:08 AM
Often wondered why you can't actually smoke in your seat because of this big open bit your talking about :greengrin:confused:. It's not exactly indoors is it. I've been in 100s off places where the smoking area/shelter is a lot more enclosed then the East stand.

Tough one, right enough.

Possibly because the people next to you in the smoking areas don't mind if you blow your disgusting, acrid poison into their faces. :dunno:

:

Peevemor
28-09-2017, 07:12 AM

When the first smoking ban was introduced at ER, you could smoke in the (enclosed) concourse under a stand but not outside on the seated part. A real head-scratcher that one.

Hibee87
28-09-2017, 07:26 AM
When the first smoking ban was introduced at ER, you could smoke in the (enclosed) concourse under a stand but not outside on the seated part. A real head-scratcher that one.

What stand was that? Obviously the east stand was not enclosed at the back when the ban came in but i did have a stewad try and tell me to put my smoke out till i pointed out i wasnt in an enclosed area.

More recently, maybe 4 year ago i was puffing an ecig at my seat in the east and steward said i could only smoke it in the concourse, that made no sense to me.

Peevemor
28-09-2017, 07:28 AM
What stand was that? Obviously the east stand was not enclosed at the back when the ban came in but i did have a stewad try and tell me to put my smoke out till i pointed out i wasnt in an enclosed area.

More recently, maybe 4 year ago i was puffing an ecig at my seat in the east and steward said i could only smoke it in the concourse, that made no sense to me.

West stand, not long after it was built.

JimBHibees
28-09-2017, 08:28 AM
Its true, at the cup derby last season it was like the black hole of Calcutta there were so many smokers corralled into a small area at the main stand side of the FF, though why G4S, the club, or whoever is responsible refuse to extend the barriers from the exit doors right up to where the pavement starts is beyond me.

And a word of warning ..... at that same match a guy who had seen a relative walking past left the smoking area to talk to him and when he came back G4S wouldn't let him back in even though a number of folk, myself included, confirmed that we had seen him leave the smoking area and he had a match ticket on him. The cops got involved and sided with G4S's rather jobsworth approach to the incident. Don't take the opportunity to pop round to the shops or chat to a mate round at the east if you go out for a fag in the FF, chances are you wont get back in.

I don't like to moan about that stuff too much though ..... as a smoker who was having his enjoyment of attending ER diluted somewhat by having to spend two hours without a fag between entering the stadium and leaving it I'm grateful that the club came to the sensible decision of letting smokers out at half time, and I'm pretty sure folk using the bogs at half time are glad of it too.

Especially the folk that dont smoke. :greengrin

Bad Martini
28-09-2017, 11:53 AM
This one is simple...as an ex-smoker, here's both sides of the coin:

* Telling smokers just not to do it/its bad for you/it'll kill you/etc etc yadda yadda ... will make no difference; addiction is the issue here, plain and simple.
* Equally, demanding your right to your smoking fix (wherever you see an open space) is bollocks too; nobody else wants your reek.

The answer is simple enough///

Let the smokers get on with it, no moralising and sanctimonious lectures on the already known and understood consequences...
...as long as they do it with other like minded, consenting smokers, happy to enjoy each-others manky, stinkin fag reek :greengrin ??

Seems fair to me. Its never simple or as black and white as painted. Just a question of choice and manners (And nowadays, legality).

Simples.

Next up, world peace :greengrin:na na::thumbsup:

pacoluna
28-09-2017, 01:31 PM

If e cigs aren't band aswell... They should be

AngloHibs
28-09-2017, 01:39 PM
How do people who can't go a couple of hours without smoking manage in the cinema or theatre?

Jack
28-09-2017, 01:42 PM
How do people who can't go a couple of hours without smoking manage in the cinema or theatre?

You've not noticed smokers outside theatres then?

Maybe it was the smokescreen.

Peevemor
28-09-2017, 01:46 PM

Supporters watching their team get caught up in the stress/emotion of the match far more than someone watching a film or a play. This is what has people reaching for their fags.

Hibee87
28-09-2017, 01:49 PM

I think they are now, at least I still go outside for mine. But it was not long after the east was built and e-cigs were pretty much accepted as something you could do anywhere (which coincidentally is still the case in most pubs after a universal ban on them a few years back in bars. If you ask at the bar first at least, most places allow them).

Hibee87
28-09-2017, 01:51 PM
West stand, not long after it was built.

That would have been before the smoking ban came in yeah? That was probably a hibs rule about not smoking at the seats, but as ive only sat in the west a few times I cant say if it was properly observed or not. It certainly wasnt in the east, and not just cigs :wink:

Peevemor
28-09-2017, 01:53 PM
That would have been before the smoking ban came in yeah? That was probably a hibs rule about not smoking at the seats, but as ive only sat in the west a few times I cant say if it was properly observed or not. It certainly wasnt in the east, and not just cigs :wink:

Possibly - it was stupid in any case.

Hibee87
28-09-2017, 01:53 PM

I imagine because the option to go for a smoke during a film or theatre performance would mean missing the show.....ive been to a few comendy gigs at the playhouse and when they have an interval everyone who wants to smoke are allowed out to do so. If cinemas still had an 'intermission' i would bet most people would go for a quick smoke as well.

DH1875
28-09-2017, 01:58 PM
I imagine because the option to go for a smoke during a film or theatre performance would mean missing the show.....ive been to a few comendy gigs at the playhouse and when they have an interval everyone who wants to smoke are allowed out to do so. If cinemas still had an 'intermission' i would bet most people would go for a quick smoke as well.

Drink also has a lot to do with it. When I go to the football I like a beer which then leads me to want to smoke. Not one for drinking then hitting the cinema to be fair.

Peevemor
28-09-2017, 02:13 PM
In any case, if you look at the number of pubs that have closed since smoking was banned it's obvious that there are people who choose not to go without. For this reason alone, Hibs are right to accommodate fans who want/need a fag at half time.

AngloHibs
28-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Supporters watching their team get caught up in the stress/emotion of the match far more than someone watching a film or a play. This is what has people reaching for their fags.

I take your point, but when I'm watching a game I get so absorbed in it that I don't think of anything else. I don't reach for my phone, food, drink or anything, there is nothing else in the world apart from me and the game in front of me.

I suppose I'm lucky that I've never smoked. I actually pity people who have a habit/addiction that takes over their lives so much that they need to do it throughout each day

Scouse Hibee
28-09-2017, 06:28 PM
My point for asking this question actually had nothing to do with smoking. It was to find out if it is possible for fans to leave the stadium at half time in order to purchase something from a facility that may well be making a guest appearance for a few matches ;-)

Hibee87
28-09-2017, 07:06 PM
My point for asking this question actually had nothing to do with smoking. It was to find out if it is possible for fans to leave the stadium at half time in order to purchase something from a facility that may well be making a guest appearance for a few matches ;-)

No idea what your talking about but if it involves purchasing something then speaking to hibs might allow for whatever it is to be sold on the premises. Next to the pop up bar behind east maybe?

Either way unless its on hibs ground and able to be cordoned off then i doubt fans could leave the 'designated smoking areas'. It was a number of year ago now but i wasnt allowed out the door to run down to east gate to hand over keys. Jobsworthsaid i wouldnt get back in.

Scouse Hibee
28-09-2017, 07:12 PM
No idea what your talking about but if it involves purchasing something then speaking to hibs might allow for whatever it is to be sold on the premises. Next to the pop up bar behind east maybe?

Either way unless its on hibs ground and able to be cordoned off then i doubt fans could leave the 'designated smoking areas'. It was a number of year ago now but i wasnt allowed out the door to run down to east gate to hand over keys. Jobsworthsaid i wouldnt get back in.

Nah It's okay mate all sorted with Hibs I was just wondering if there was any footfall at all at half time. The answers tell me probably not which is fine.

WhileTheChief..
28-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Take one of the sides off the east stand and it can be the smoking area. Everyone's happy :cb

Arch Stanton
28-09-2017, 07:29 PM

In the West if you try and leave the stadium the guard says you can't get back in again (that's the gate next to the TO I'm talking about). I imagine it will be the same in the EAST.

What I wonder about is the North and South as there is no enclosed area - do they even allow half time smoking there? Or do they check tickets properly on re-entry?

Keith_M
30-09-2017, 11:47 AM
I think they should have smoking areas on the roof of each of the stands, so fans can go for a fag at any point during the game and not bother anybody else.

Just need some big ladders to get up there.

iwasthere1972
30-09-2017, 11:55 AM
In the West if you try and leave the stadium the guard says you can't get back in again (that's the gate next to the TO I'm talking about). I imagine it will be the same in the EAST.

What I wonder about is the North and South as there is no enclosed area - do they even allow half time smoking there? Or do they check tickets properly on re-entry?

They used to scan you out and scan you in. Now there's barriers up to keep you penned in like sheep. Aberdeen fans will feel at home if they do similar in the North. I go out for a vape as I managed to give up the tobacco a couple of months ago. It's not the best solution with a hundred or so smokers crammed into such a small area. What makes it worse are the adults who takes their kids outside as well. Leave them just by the door. Makes sense.

NAE NOOKIE
30-09-2017, 12:05 PM

Just to be clear ... all of the home stands allow folk out at half time for a fag, at the FF the area outside is cordoned off so you cant actually leave the environs of the stadium .... if you do pass the barriers chances are you wont get back in even if you have a season ticket if the example I gave in an earlier post was anything to go by.

HappyAsHellas
30-09-2017, 12:23 PM

May I ask why?

Scouse Hibee
30-09-2017, 12:34 PM
May I ask why?

I would imagine because folk like me have no wish to breathe in the **** vapue they produce which in the long run could turn out to be detrimental to your health. Replacing one **** thing for your body with another makes no sense to me. Fortunately licensed premises agree with me.

NAE NOOKIE
30-09-2017, 12:59 PM
What's worse is this new law that stops you smoking in the car if there are kids under 16 on board. Its bloody heart breaking watching the kids standing shivering outside the car when we stop half way to Edinburgh for a fag .... what its going to be like for them in January and February I don't know ......... bloody politicians, they just don't think things through :cb

sleeping giant
30-09-2017, 01:40 PM
What's worse is this new law that stops you smoking in the car if there are kids under 16 on board. Its bloody heart breaking watching the kids standing shivering outside the car when we stop half way to Edinburgh for a fag .... what its going to be like for them in January and February I don't know ......... bloody politicians, they just don't think things through :cb

:greengrin

Wasn't sure how that was going to go :-)

HappyAsHellas
30-09-2017, 02:59 PM
I would imagine because folk like me have no wish to breathe in the **** vapue they produce which in the long run could turn out to be detrimental to your health. Replacing one **** thing for your body with another makes no sense to me. Fortunately licensed premises agree with me.

I quite understand the anti smoking brigade, but breathing in a miniscule amount of food colouring and flavouring combined with the death bringing water isn't really bad at all. If you're that paranoid I would suggest steering well clear of boiling kettles, sauna's and obviously never ever have a stir fry.

Scouse Hibee
30-09-2017, 03:00 PM
I quite understand the anti smoking brigade, but breathing in a miniscule amount of food colouring and flavouring combined with the death bringing water isn't really bad at all. If you're that paranoid I would suggest steering well clear of boiling kettles, sauna's and obviously never ever have a stir fry.

If you think that's all it is then carry on and enjoy pal. Unless I'm mixing up an e cig with a vapue contraption.

HappyAsHellas
30-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Sorry if it came across as a bit forceful but the ingredients of the vape liquid are ingredients we ingest every day of our lives - apart from the nicotine obviously. I smoked for the best part of 40 years and gave up over a year ago using vaping. Both my doctor and dentist are delighted, as am I - I can run upstairs without breathing out my backside, taste food again and a host of other stuff. I don't know what the e-cigs contain although I thought it would be the same ingredients.

PS my wife finds the strawberry smell quite off putting for some reason.