PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: WORKING TOGETHER MEETING TONIGHT

RSS Bot
25-09-2017, 08:30 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7917)

Baldy Foghorn
25-09-2017, 12:16 PM

This could be a controversial post:

I always look at Sevco, and laugh at their celebrations on armed forces day....

I see this is on the agenda Tonight, is this something we should be getting involved in, or is it just me who is bemused? (No smart retorts please)

Jack
25-09-2017, 01:10 PM

I see this is on the agenda Tonight, is this something we should be getting involved in, or is it just me who is bemused? (No smart retorts please)

I think we've been involved now for about the last 5 plus years. I don't think we've made a fuss but on top of regular tickets for members of the Forces once a year there's a bit of a push around Armistice Day.

Baldy Foghorn
25-09-2017, 01:21 PM
I think we've been involved now for about the last 5 plus years. I don't think we've made a fuss but on top of regular tickets for members of the Forces once a year there's a bit of a push around Armistice Day.

That's great then Jack, thanks for clearing that up.

I had visions of a day like they have at Rangers.

Nakedmanoncrack
25-09-2017, 06:19 PM

Absolutely something we should not be involved in.
Leave the jingoistic nationalistic nonsense for the huns to revel in.

Peevemor
25-09-2017, 06:29 PM
If done discretely I'm all for it.

marinello59
25-09-2017, 06:34 PM

We've done something for the past few seasons and it's been nothing like that. Obviously, because you haven't even noticed what the club has done.

Carheenlea
25-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Can't really see anything other than the existing arrangement continuing. There is surely no appetite from the fanbase to see the club embrace Armed Forces Day by turning Easter Road into a circus like Ibrox.
Have servicemen/ex servicemen as guests of the club and observe the minutes silence on Armistice Day and keep it dignified.

Argylehibby
25-09-2017, 09:11 PM

It is definitely just the Remembrance Day stuff we have done for the last few years baldy. In previous years we have hosted a number of the residents from the Erskine home in Edinburgh in the hospitality boxes in the famous 5 stand. Unfortunately with the closure of BTG that won't be available so the agenda item was simply to see what might be available as an alternative.

southern hibby
25-09-2017, 09:44 PM
As a veteran of 22 years in the Royal Navy, I'm all for it. However it has to be NOTHING LIKE THE HUNS DO. I wear my colours and support my team with pride and am proud of what I achieved within the Armed Forces and believe that the powers that be at Ibrox do it to further enhance their own agendas and not for recognition of servicemen and women.

I was on HMS Cardiff and HMS Nottingham that came into Leith around 1995 /97 respectively and I wrote to Hibs to say we were coming in and chances my luck asking for tickets for the boys onboard both times Hibs obliged and gave the ship ( I believe about 25 / 35 tickets each time ).

We watched Hibs v Rangers and Hibs V our pink neighbours and had a great day out was treated like royalty and I can tell you that the boys on the ship who went were absolutely gob smacked that a Scottish team treated them with so much respect and honour that they boys I met later on in my career still spoke fondly about looking out for the Hibs results.

I'm not exactly sure if Hibs still give so many free season tickets ( I might be wrong but sure someone who knows can rectify me ) to the soldiers up in Redford Barracks. Only reason I think this happened was because in my correspondence to Hibs trying to get freebies for the ship they mentioned they gave season tickets to them. Disclaimer I might be wrong as it was 20 odd year ago.

So to cut a long story short Hibs have as far as I am concerned always held the military in the highest of esteem and long may it continue.

GGTTH

Nakedmanoncrack
25-09-2017, 09:48 PM
As a veteran of 22 years in the Royal Navy, I'm all for it. However it has to be NOTHING LIKE THE HUNS DO. I wear my colours and support my team with pride and am proud of what I achieved within the Armed Forces and believe that the powers that be at Ibrox do it to further enhance their own agendas and not for recognition of servicemen and women.

I was on HMS Cardiff and HMS Nottingham that came into Leith around 1995 /97 respectively and I wrote to Hibs to say we were coming in and chances my luck asking for tickets for the boys onboard both times Hibs obliged and gave the ship ( I believe about 25 / 35 tickets each time ).

We watched Hibs v Rangers and Hibs V our pink neighbours and had a great day out was treated like royalty and I can tell you that the boys on the ship who went were absolutely gob smacked that a Scottish team treated them with so much respect and honour that they boys I met later on in my career still spoke fondly about looking out for the Hibs results.

I'm not exactly sure if Hibs still give so many free season tickets ( I might be wrong but sure someone who knows can rectify me ) to the soldiers up in Redford Barracks. Only reason I think this happened was because in my correspondence to Hibs trying to get freebies for the ship they mentioned they gave season tickets to them. Disclaimer I might be wrong as it was 20 odd year ago.

So to cut a long story short Hibs have as far as I am concerned always held the military in the highest of esteem and long may it continue.

GGTTH

I can't see any reason to be giving away free season tickets to able bodied people, perfectly able to pay, hopefully this is not something that still goes on.

southern hibby
25-09-2017, 09:53 PM
I can't see any reason to be giving away free season tickets to able bodied people, perfectly able to pay, hopefully this is not something that still goes on.

Really couldn't tell you but why not phone Hibs tomorrow and ask and if they say they do tell them your no happy.

GGTTH

marinello59
25-09-2017, 10:01 PM

They're not giving away season tickets.

Sir David Gray
25-09-2017, 10:16 PM
If done discretely I'm all for it.

Absolutely.

I think Hibs have it spot on when it comes to how we mark Armistice Day.

I think it's important that we play our part in commemorating this day in remembering those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice whilst serving this country but I wouldn't want us to become like Rangers where I feel that their Armed Forces events are very contrived and insincere.

Invite some Armed Forces personnel to the home game that falls closest to Armistice Day and mark the date with a minute's silence before kick off and I'll be happy.

Anything else that we do such as charity work etc should be done behind the scenes.

Beefster
26-09-2017, 05:52 AM

What’s your criteria? My old man has two and a half missing fingers after an industrial accident decades ago. Doesn’t stop him doing anything but if you’d consider him entitled to a free season ticket, I’m sure he’d be chuffed to bits.

itslegaltender
26-09-2017, 05:59 AM
Really strange how the development of forced appreciation of the armed forces and indeed the NHS staff has developed over the last 10 years or so.

The appropriate place is on Remembrance Day at the many war memorials in our towns and villages. People are not forced to enter these professions so why treat them differently to everyone else? They are not more worthy than you or I.

eastcoasthibby
26-09-2017, 06:00 AM
Absolutely.

I think Hibs have it spot on when it comes to how we mark Armistice Day.

I think it's important that we play our part in commemorating this day in remembering those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice whilst serving this country but I wouldn't want us to become like Rangers where I feel that their Armed Forces events are very contrived and insincere.

Invite some Armed Forces personnel to the home game that falls closest to Armistice Day and mark the date with a minute's silence before kick off and I'll be happy.

Anything else that we do such as charity work etc should be done behind the scenes.
I agree with this in the way Hibs pay due respects for Armistice Day .....but if we still give away free seasons, sorry I don't, for the very fact about how do you differentiate about why armed services and not other services and thereafter where does that avenue end ...

marinello59
26-09-2017, 06:16 AM
I agree with this in the way Hibs pay due respects for Armistice Day .....but if we still give away free seasons, sorry I don't, for the very fact about how do you differentiate about why armed services and not other services and thereafter where does that avenue end ...

It is entirely at the clubs discretion what the club do oin this regard.
We all choose to give to certain causes and not to others as individuals and part of an organisation. How do we differentiate? We just do.

Nakedmanoncrack
26-09-2017, 06:17 AM
Really strange how the development of forced appreciation of the armed forces and indeed the NHS staff has developed over the last 10 years or so.

The appropriate place is on Remembrance Day at the many war memorials in our towns and villages. People are not forced to enter these professions so why treat them differently to everyone else? They are not more worthy than you or I.

:agree:

Correct.

flash
26-09-2017, 06:27 AM

Personally I have never needed to be forced to appreciate them but each to their own.

marinello59
26-09-2017, 06:38 AM

Nobody is forced to do anything. If you think nurses etc are not worthy of your appreciation then you don't have to give them any.

hibby6270
26-09-2017, 10:51 AM

I can understand appreciating NHS staff who carry out a job for the benefit of us all at some stage in our lives but I'm not aware of Hibs doing anything special to celebrate this recognition. Can anyone confirm this to be the case or not?

As for Forces recognition/appreciation, personal opinion is that this is not required in football circles. There are separate occasions for recognition to take place - i.e. Armistice Day - and it should be left at that imo.

Wars and conflicts that involve our armed forces are not started by football clubs. They are the product of government decisions and "celebrating" them is, in a way, condoning or agreeing that these decisions are in some way justified. I'll leave that thought with you all to ponder.

If those of you on here are happy to go along with the charade, fair enough, but bringing football into it is just not necessary.

McD
26-09-2017, 11:20 AM
I can understand appreciating NHS staff who carry out a job for the benefit of us all at some stage in our lives but I'm not aware of Hibs doing anything special to celebrate this recognition. Can anyone confirm this to be the case or not?

As for Forces recognition/appreciation, personal opinion is that this is not required in football circles. There are separate occasions for recognition to take place - i.e. Armistice Day - and it should be left at that imo.

Wars and conflicts that involve our armed forces are not started by football clubs. They are the product of government decisions and "celebrating" them is, in a way, condoning or agreeing that these decisions are in some way justified. I'll leave that thought with you all to ponder.

If those of you on here are happy to go along with the charade, fair enough, but bringing football into it is just not necessary.

The wars and conflicts aren’t being ‘celebrated’ or anything else.

it is a recognition of those men and women who have laid their lives on the line. No one is forcing you to take part.

wookie70
26-09-2017, 11:41 AM
As a public servant it grinds me that other public servants in the armed forces get such preferential treatment. If it is about the dangers they face on our behalf then why don't we invite the many trades that are far more dangerous than being in the armed forces. If it is about their service what about nurses or lollipop men or fire fighters. What about inviting the Glasgae Polis for a day at ER.

You only have to look at the way the military in America have hijacked American football to realise that the Armed Forces frequently have an agenda. Yes, Hibs are discrete about our business but I would far rather we treated armed force workers the same as other workers.

ancient hibee
26-09-2017, 03:47 PM
There seems to be some confusion in posts here about current armed forces personnel and remembering the fallen .I'm in favour of the latter but not in special treatment for the former.

theonlywayisup
26-09-2017, 07:03 PM

Was there anything else discussed?

Skol
26-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Will we get an update on what was discussed ?

JimBHibees
26-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Don't have an issue if tastefully done. The Rangers ones are akin to the Nuremberg rallies.

theonlywayisup
26-09-2017, 07:46 PM
Can we end the Remembrance discussion?

Was anything else discussed?

andyf5
26-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Can we end the Remembrance discussion?

Was anything else discussed?

Leeann and Rod attended and we spent 45 minutes discussing the EBT statement. My feeling was they won over most folk there as to their reasoning.

Some discussion on tickets and how it's only online. Some folk finding it very hard to get tickets. Some bits about the costs of Ticketmaster telephone calls. There are a couple of groups producing stuff- fans leaflet and hibs themed gear.

They are looking for volunteers to help commentate on games for the new audio system for visually impaired. Also need helpers to get wheelchair users into ground. Contact Frank or Tracey if you can help.

People at the meeting are told not to post stuff online so probably leave it there. Second meeting I've been to and each time I've come away really impressed at how well the club is run. All supporters are welcome and you get inside info as to what's happening.

NAE NOOKIE
27-09-2017, 11:54 AM

I cant say I've ever thought of armistice day as a 'celebration' ........ In fact would it not be just as fair to say that in the case of many ( not all ) of the conflicts British servicemen and women have lost their lives in they could be viewed in some ways as victims of these political decisions .... is that not as good a justification for a display of respect for them as any?

This theme centred around remembrance day and the poppy seems to have come to the fore relatively recently, where some people have a clear agenda to turn these things in the minds of the public from a simple display of remembrance and even regret ( which whether it suits you or not is exactly how 99.9% of people see it ) into pointing the finger at them and telling them that what they are doing is celebrating war and showing support for the political decisions that took us there and they are just too stupid to see it, as you have done here .... what an absolutely self righteous and arrogant stance that is.

So I've pondered your thought mate and I've come to the conclusion that its a crock of **** :aok:

NAE NOOKIE
27-09-2017, 12:14 PM

This is a picture of the war cemetery in Salerno southern Italy where my 23 year old uncle Albert was laid to rest after giving his life fighting the Nazis ...... I would like to think that the job he was killed doing was for the benefit of us all too.

I first visited my grandfathers house in the early 90s and on the sideboard there was still a picture of him with a black ribbon across the corner of the frame ... his dad was clearly heartbroken at his loss, but also proud of the sacrifice he had made. If the 'charade' was good enough for him its sure as hell good enough for me.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.cjNgtR1yujT2zfcP_ZMB2gEsDV&w=154&h=109&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&dpr=1.05&pid=3.1&rm=2 (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=images+of+salerno+war+cemetery&id=81D7CAF5FA9027651F8ADC85CE97F682C19621AA&FORM=IQFRBA)

Hibby70
27-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Have Hearts given us permission to use their armistice trademark?

McD
27-09-2017, 06:27 PM
I cant say I've ever thought of armistice day as a 'celebration' ........ In fact would it not be just as fair to say that in the case of many ( not all ) of the conflicts British servicemen and women have lost their lives in they could be viewed in some ways as victims of these political decisions .... is that not as good a justification for a display of respect for them as any?

This theme centred around remembrance day and the poppy seems to have come to the fore relatively recently, where some people have a clear agenda to turn these things in the minds of the public from a simple display of remembrance and even regret ( which whether it suits you or not is exactly how 99.9% of people see it ) into pointing the finger at them and telling them that what they are doing is celebrating war and showing support for the political decisions that took us there and they are just too stupid to see it, as you have done here .... what an absolutely self righteous and arrogant stance that is.

So I've pondered your thought mate and I've come to the conclusion that its a crock of **** :aok:

This is a picture of the war cemetery in Salerno southern Italy where my 23 year old uncle Albert was laid to rest after giving his life fighting the Nazis ...... I would like to think that the job he was killed doing was for the benefit of us all too.

I first visited my grandfathers house in the early 90s and on the sideboard there was still a picture of him with a black ribbon across the corner of the frame ... his dad was clearly heartbroken at his loss, but also proud of the sacrifice he had made. If the 'charade' was good enough for him its sure as hell good enough for me.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.cjNgtR1yujT2zfcP_ZMB2gEsDV&w=154&h=109&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&dpr=1.05&pid=3.1&rm=2 (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=images+of+salerno+war+cemetery&id=81D7CAF5FA9027651F8ADC85CE97F682C19621AA&FORM=IQFRBA)

Fantastic posts

Nakedmanoncrack
27-09-2017, 08:48 PM

Most of the pointing is done by those who have a clear agenda - one directly opposite to what you describe.
And anyone who doesn't fall in line is 'disrespectful' etc.

Just Alf
27-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Another "weird" thread...

My Great Gran lost all her brothers (3) and my Great Grand dad lost a brother and a sister (nurse) in the 1st world war... Im certainly NEVER gonna celebrate their deaths. BUT I will remember their sacrifice.

Edit.. edit Nurse was WW11 ....

Danderhall Hibs
27-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Why are the minutes not allowed to be posted online? Is it a secret society or is it a way to entice folk along?

Onceinawhile
27-09-2017, 09:09 PM
Why are the minutes not allowed to be posted online? Is it a secret society or is it a way to entice folk along?

Because ideas can be tossed around that don't come to fruition for whatever reason and if they get made public people will moan about x y and z being promised and not happening.

Danderhall Hibs
27-09-2017, 09:10 PM
Because ideas can be tossed around that don't come to fruition for whatever reason and if they get made public people will moan about x y and z being promised and not happening.

That makes some sense - I still think there should be some meeting notes though. Anything sensitive could be excluded.

Hibeewilly
27-09-2017, 09:27 PM
That makes some sense - I still think there should be some meeting notes though. Anything sensitive could be excluded.

Mind you DH..I believe every Hibby or at least Season ticket holder is welcome to attend. We don't want all and sundry getting the info

andyf5
27-09-2017, 09:30 PM

My point at the meeting was about improving communication with supporters. Minutes online might help. There were two requests for fans to help - one with wheelchair users and the other for the visually impaired commentary. To my mind that should be made online or to the 13,000 season ticket holders which would give a much better chance of getting volunteers.

Danderhall Hibs
27-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Mind you DH..I believe every Hibby or at least Season ticket holder is welcome to attend. We don't want all and sundry getting the info

Everyone is welcome but by publishing notes of the meetings it would give a flavour of what's being discussed and might encourage folk to go along.

Danderhall Hibs
27-09-2017, 09:34 PM
My point at the meeting was about improving communication with supporters. Minutes online might help. There were two requests for fans to help - one with wheelchair users and the other for the visually impaired commentary. To my mind that should be made online or to the 13,000 season ticket holders which would give a much better chance of getting volunteers.

Agreed.

Hibeewilly
27-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Everyone is welcome but by publishing notes of the meetings it would give a flavour of what's being discussed and might encourage folk to go along.
Fair Do's mate but topics only not detailed information I would have thought

Danderhall Hibs
27-09-2017, 09:47 PM
Fair Do's mate but topics only not detailed information I would have thought

Could be high level stuff just to cover the club from criticism from those that don't understand that just because something's discussed it's happening.

NAE NOOKIE
27-09-2017, 10:23 PM
Most of the pointing is done by those who have a clear agenda - one directly opposite to what you describe.
And anyone who doesn't fall in line is 'disrespectful' etc.

Sorry ......... at no point have I said that people who don't observe armistice day or wear a poppy are disrespectful, whether folk do or not is up to individual choice. What I am annoyed about is folk who tell me that if I do it I am 'celebrating' war and showing approval for the political decisions that lead us into conflicts where British servicemen and women, not to mention civilians, have died. The post I was replying to did just that and its a point of view I refute utterly.

The agenda I speak of is attempts by people, for whatever reason, to turn the meaning of armistice day and the poppy symbol into something they are not, that agenda is exactly what is happening in some quarters, and that is why I described the posters opinion of these things as 'self righteous arrogance' ........ Look at me, I'm so anti war that I'm even going to tell you that by publicly remembering its 'victims' in time honoured fashion its promoting it and that by doing so you are in agreement with the decisions made by politicians to enter into it. The implication being that if I don't subscribe to that point of view it must be because I'm too stupid to see that that's what I'm doing.

"Directly opposite to what I describe" ............... I don't think so mate.

Just Alf
27-09-2017, 10:31 PM
Sorry ......... at no point have I said that people who don't observe armistice day or wear a poppy are disrespectful, whether folk do or not is up to individual choice. What I am annoyed about is folk who tell me that if I do it I am 'celebrating' war and showing approval for the political decisions that lead us into conflicts where British servicemen and women, not to mention civilians, have died. The post I was replying to did just that and its a point of view I refute utterly.

The agenda I speak of is attempts by people, for whatever reason, to turn the meaning of armistice day and the poppy symbol into something they are not, that agenda is exactly what is happening in some quarters, and that is why I described the posters opinion of these things as 'self righteous arrogance' ........ Look at me, I'm so anti war that I'm even going to tell you that by publicly remembering its 'victims' in time honoured fashion its promoting it and that by doing so you are in agreement with the decisions made by politicians to enter into it. The implication being that if I don't subscribe to that point of view it must be because I'm too stupid to see that that's what I'm doing.

this is a good post.

JimBHibees
28-09-2017, 06:31 AM

Well said. Just ordinary guys giving up their lifes in extraordinary circumstances if we cant appreciate that then we are truly goosed.

Nakedmanoncrack
28-09-2017, 01:30 PM

I didn't say you had accused anyone of being disrespectful, but you can't deny that anyone who doesn't do as they are expected i.e. wear poppies etc can expect to be hounded, there's no personal choice in such circumstances.

Johnny Clash
28-09-2017, 02:10 PM
Could be high level stuff just to cover the club from criticism from those that don't understand that just because something's discussed it's happening.

It is a bit weird though - given both our elected reps promised to improve communication with all fans,. The fans that can make these meetings obviously know what was discussed so it's the fans who can't attend who would benefit from notes. Anything deemed 'sensitive' (but not sensitive enough to discuss at an open meeting) can be left at that. As others have said, seeking volunteers to help disabled supporters attend games - and stuff like that - surely can be reported back to the wider support .

ancient hibee
28-09-2017, 02:12 PM
I didn't say you had accused anyone of being disrespectful, but you can't deny that anyone who doesn't do as they are expected i.e. wear poppies etc can expect to be hounded, there's no personal choice in such circumstances.

I don't always wear a poppy-never been hounded nor expect to be.No personal choice?

Vini1875
30-09-2017, 11:59 AM
Depends on your profession. Try go on the telly around poppy season and refuse to wear one and see what happens.

Hibs have it correct with regards to Remembrance. It is more than I would personally like and it would bother me if Hibs went further, but as it stands I can accept it without feeling the need to push my own agenda.

NAE NOOKIE
30-09-2017, 12:49 PM

Well actually as a matter of a fact I can, because as a generalisation that's simply not true. I have never encountered in daily life a situation where I've seen such a thing happen ..... perhaps in the years directly following WWII, but in modern times, no.

I am not denying that there are certain sections of society where an individual will still be expected to wear a poppy, with television being the prime example .... I would not be supportive in any way of a situation where a TV personality, or anybody else for that matter, was put in the position of being 'forced' to wear one if they didn't want to.

This is obviously an argument where the two extremes are as bad as each other ........ on one side you have a faction who are determined to make the poppy into a symbol whose meaning is promotion and approval of war, and worse than that in my mind, approval of the political decisions that lead us there.
On the other side you have folk who will write angry letters to the BBC if the guy presenting the weather isn't wearing one. I have little time for either point of view, but in discussions like this one I will defend my right to wear a poppy and not have anybody tell me it has a meaning contrary to everything I have known it to be in the decades I have worn it, just because it massages their feeling of self righteous moral superiority.