PDA

View Full Version : East Stand - Name

eastcoasthibby
25-09-2017, 08:19 AM
I know this has been put out there before but where are people with naming the East Stand "The Sir Tom Farmer Stand " given what he has done for the club from stepping in when he did, stabilising
us and most recently by giving us the interest free loan allowing us to develop and establish ourselves again. I think its the absolutely right thing to do, I can't think of anyone who has had or will have the positive vital impact that he has on Hibs !!

Nakedmanoncrack
25-09-2017, 08:24 AM
No thanks Tom.

green day
25-09-2017, 08:26 AM
I know this has been put out there before but where are people with naming the East Stand "The Sir Tom Farmer Stand " given what he has done for the club from stepping in when he did, stabilising
us and most recently by giving us the interest free loan allowing us to develop and establish ourselves again. I think its the absolutely right thing to do, I can't think of anyone who has had or will have the positive vital impact that he has on Hibs !!

Nice thought, but I think you will get a load of negative responses from the "Tom Farmer is milking Hibs" "HSL is a Ponzi scheme" punters.

RoscoHibby
25-09-2017, 08:30 AM
I think it would be a great gesture and very well deserved. It would be good if it's done while he is still with us as well.

IMO of course.

green with envy
25-09-2017, 08:34 AM

If you're going to suggest a sir... It surely has to be the Sir David Gray stand.

greenginger
25-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Not for me.

If a stand gets named after STF it should be the West.

The East is the East and belongs to the fans.

Carheenlea
25-09-2017, 08:43 AM
Not for me.

Exactly :agree:

When the name "East" is mentioned it, just conjours up memories and imagery from every era, both as terrace and stand. Just leave it be.

superfurryhibby
25-09-2017, 08:50 AM
Nice thought, but I think you will get a load of negative responses from the "Tom Farmer is milking Hibs" "HSL is a Ponzi scheme" punters.

Really? Surely there are only a handful of folk on the lunatic fringe of dissenters?

STF will forever have his place in our clubs history, but it doesn't merit commemoration by naming a stand, and certainly not the East Stand.

jacomo
25-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Not for me.

:agree:

But I would rename the West Stand as the STF Stand tomorrow if that's what he wanted.

STF has been one of the most significant figures in our club's history, regardless what the haters think.

lucky
25-09-2017, 08:54 AM
The West should be STF stand and the East The Tme for Heros stand

Peevemor
25-09-2017, 08:54 AM

But I would rename the West Stand as the STF Stand tomorrow if that's what he wanted.

STF has been one of the most significant figures in our club's history, regardless what the haters think.

Also, it only became the "West" relatively recently.

Peevemor
25-09-2017, 08:55 AM

Is that a Celtc thing?

Elephant Stone
25-09-2017, 08:59 AM
Absolutely behind this, not bothered about which stand it is.

25-09-2017, 09:01 AM

I was thinking along the same line, the Stand For Heroes or Heroes of 2016.

Clarence
25-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Not for me.

Let's not call it the East is East stand. I don't want to see any tickle tackles.

bigwheel
25-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Let's not call it the East is East stand. I don't want to see any tickle tackles.

:greengrin great film...

lumbo_hfc
25-09-2017, 09:22 AM
No thanks

EastThomasSTboy
25-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Certainly deserves a Stand named after him, if not the Entire Stadium. IMO.

GGTTH.

MyJo
25-09-2017, 09:27 AM
Would be a fitting gesture but I'm with those who would prefer it to be the West that was renamed :agree:

Andy74
25-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Surprised that there could be any negativity towards Sir Tom - I can only assume some folk just have no idea about the significance of what he has done for us.

Anyway, the West would be the one for this and I'm sure in time that will happen.

SirDavidsNapper
25-09-2017, 10:17 AM
I agree it should be the west. Sir Tom is probably the most pivotal figure in the history of our great club and I'll be forever greatfull for what he has done.

CMurdoch
25-09-2017, 12:04 PM
The Rod Petrie Memorial Stand.....................i'll get ma coat!

southsider
25-09-2017, 12:16 PM
The Rod Petrie Memorial Stand.....................i'll get ma coat!
The Patrick Gordon Stanton Stand for the East and the west after Joe Baker.

Northernhibee
25-09-2017, 12:17 PM
He'd deserve it.

WhileTheChief..
25-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Easter Road
East Mains
The East

I like the consistency.

NAE NOOKIE
25-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Nah ........... The fans will always think of it as 'the east' even if it is given a new name. But without doubt the west stand should be renamed the 'Sir Tom Farmer stand' ( I'll suspend my disdain for titles in this case :greengrin ) if it hadn't been for him its highly doubtful we would have a club to support, at least not one currently 4th in the premiership with an all time high number of season ticket holders and a fully UEFA compliant stadium. Not to mention training facilities the envy of many 'bigger' clubs which we actually own.

From what I see of STF he's pretty self effacing, even though he is also a shrewd business operator, it may be the case that he wouldn't want his ego massaged in this way ........... All I can say to that is 'screw you Farmer, its no up tae you' ..... I cant think of a single fan who wouldn't think this is fully deserved and the sooner it happens the better, so suck it up :thumbsup:

THE 'SIR TOM FARMER STAND' ..... Lets make it happen :aok:

Ronniekirk
25-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Not for me.

Agree with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greentinted
25-09-2017, 01:09 PM
I'd like to see Pat Stanton honoured and immortalised in some way and preferably in his lifetime.
So that would be my shout for The East!

LithgaeHibby
25-09-2017, 01:13 PM

Could also consider naming the West the "Farmer Stand" as that would then include Philip Farmer who also played a vital role in our history.

snooky
25-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Call it "The East Stanton".

Smartie
25-09-2017, 01:44 PM
I've always liked the idea of "The Farmer Stand" commemorating not only Sir Tom, but his relatives who did a similar job for us a century earlier.

Seveno
25-09-2017, 01:51 PM
West - Sir Tom Farmer Stand
East - Sir David Gray Stand
South - Sir Albert Kidd Stand

Sorted. :greengrin

proud_and_green
25-09-2017, 02:04 PM
The East Stand must always be the East Stand but I am all in favour of renaming the West to recognise Tom Farmer's contribution to the club and would suggest it should be made so sooner rather than later.

marinello59
25-09-2017, 02:41 PM
The East Stand must always be the East Stand but I am all in favour of renaming the West to recognise Tom Farmer's contribution to the club and would suggest it should be made so sooner rather than later.

Why should the East Stand always be the East Stand? :confused:

Tornadoes70
25-09-2017, 03:53 PM
West - Sir Tom Farmer Stand
East - Sir David Gray Stand
South - Sir Albert Kidd Stand

Sorted. :greengrin

:thumbsup:

100%

:flag:

Beefster
25-09-2017, 04:01 PM
Why should the East Stand always be the East Stand? :confused:

Presumably cos it would be a pain in the ass to move it.

Ronniekirk
25-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Why should the East Stand always be the East Stand? [emoji782]

Its been the East for as long as i have gone Some of us Oldies can only cope with so much change Some Traditions are worth Preserving

marinello59
25-09-2017, 04:05 PM

:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
25-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Its been the East for as long as i have gone Some of us Oldies can only cope with so much change Some Traditions are worth Preserving

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkFor many of us oldies, though, the use of the word "East" is a relatively new phenomenon.

[emoji48]

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

IlDiavola
25-09-2017, 04:57 PM
The Fanstand? :wink:

Pete
25-09-2017, 05:07 PM
The Farmer Autocare stadium at Easter Road.

Ronniekirk
25-09-2017, 06:00 PM
For many of us oldies, though, the use of the word "East" is a relatively new phenomenon.

[emoji48]

What was it before the east

Peevemor
25-09-2017, 06:04 PM
What was it before the east

The terracing

Ronniekirk
25-09-2017, 06:10 PM
The terracing

Been going since the late sixties and cant remember calling it that ,but come to think of it cant remember calling it anything until the East So its clearly made an impression

Peevemor
25-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Been going since the late sixties and cant remember calling it that ,but come to think of it cant remember calling it anything until the East So its clearly made an impression

Pre development Easter Road consisted of;

The main stand (made up of North, Centre and South stands), below which were the North & South enclosures.

Then there was the cowshed/cave/seated enclosure (I've heard all 3), the terracing and the Dunbar end.

I haven't heard any other names.

Ronniekirk
25-09-2017, 06:28 PM

The main stand (made up of North, Centre and South stands), below which were the North & South enclosures.

Then there was the cowshed/cave/seated enclosure (I've heard all 3), the terracing and the Dunbar end.

Cowshed i remember well and now you mention it recall the Dunbar end ,Cheers

snedzuk
25-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Standy mcstand face

Joe6-2
25-09-2017, 07:02 PM
For many of us oldies, though, the use of the word "East" is a relatively new phenomenon.

[emoji48]

Yep

Johnny Clash
25-09-2017, 07:26 PM
I get the impression with what I've read about Tom Farmer and a very brief chat with him that he's quite a reserved, unassuming man and probably wouldn't want a stand named after him?

Choosing the Famout Five to name a stand after was a no brainier. Maybe the Tornadoes should get a mention? That way we stick to recognising several players who contributed to the Hibee cause?

Sir David Gray
25-09-2017, 08:35 PM
I can't think of anybody more deserving of such an honour being bestowed upon them than the man who saved the club from extinction.

I'm all for it.

heretoday
25-09-2017, 09:32 PM
Bring back the North Enclosure!

It was like an episode of The Comedians in there.

greenginger
25-09-2017, 10:16 PM

I remember the extra bit of terracing added in the 50's being called the high terracing, for obvious reasons.

NAE NOOKIE
25-09-2017, 10:40 PM

:faf: ...... Made me laugh out loud :top marks

Dashing Bob S
26-09-2017, 01:07 AM
Nothing against Farmer, but I don't like to stands named after owners/tycoons/businesspeople. Would rather it was named after legends who made a real contribution on the pitch. So the Joe Portolano stand it is.

NAE NOOKIE
26-09-2017, 01:23 AM
Nothing against Farmer, but I don't like to stands named after owners/tycoons/businesspeople. Would rather it was named after legends who made a real contribution on the pitch. So the Joe Portolano stand it is.

Nonsense ...... forget stands, the Benny Brazil arena it is :thumbsup:

weecounty hibby
26-09-2017, 06:34 AM
I remember the extra bit of terracing added in the 50's being called the high terracing, for obvious reasons.

Shaws heights

alihibs1
26-09-2017, 06:44 AM
I'd like an 'Alan Stubbs' stand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

huggie1875
26-09-2017, 06:49 AM
the legend of grey stokes stand:greengrin

heretoday
26-09-2017, 08:21 AM
Brilliant! And keep the misspelling. It's a classic.

Keith_M
26-09-2017, 09:00 AM
I think we should call it Matthew. I've always liked that name.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/05/f0/dc/05f0dca13e15693edf59a072d66c6087--still-game-danger.jpg