PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Palace

Hibernia&Alba
24-09-2017, 12:06 PM
The worst ever start to a season in English league football. Six games played, no points and no goals. 540 minutes into the season and not even a goal to celebrate. Woy of Iceland infamy says he can turn it around. Old Trafford next weekend.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-09-2017, 12:13 PM
Losing is a hard habit to break. Away at United wouldn't normally count as likely source of points so another defeat won't increase the pressure.

bingo70
24-09-2017, 12:38 PM
Only team on my match result and btts coupon to let me down yesterday.

In hindsight it was crazy putting them on but law of averages/probability means they'll score at some time.

Roy will probably do a good job for them and I'm sure he's probably quite happy to get some of the tougher games out the way early doors before he's likely to make an impact anyway.

Always felt a bit sorry for him, he's clearly a clever guy that speaks multiple languages and managed at a very high level across the world but largely because of a speech impediment he's struggled to get any credibility in his own country.

jgl07
24-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Losing is a hard habit to break. Away at United wouldn't normally count as likely source of points so another defeat won't increase the pressure.
To lose the first six matches will hardly fill anyone with confidence. If that's not bad enough, they have Chelsea at home in their next match.

They actually played quite well in the first half at the Etihad yesterday. They seemed well drilled in defence and had a few dangerous runs upfield. Loftus-Cheek had a couple of chances, clipping the post with the first and sclaffing the second. Once the first goal was scored they crumpled and could have been hit for ten or more.

Pete
24-09-2017, 12:39 PM
On paper they are some side and play decent football.

I think they'll come good eventually.

Thecat23
24-09-2017, 12:42 PM
On paper they are some side and play decent football.

I think they'll come good eventually.

They are already down imo. Family who are ST holders don’t hold much hope either. They do have good players here and there but for me it would take a massive miracle to survive now even this early in the season.

c31
24-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Next 5 games are:

Man Utd A
Chelsea H
Newcastle A
West Ham H
Spurs A

One point out of that lot -- maybe?

Hibernia&Alba
24-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Next 5 games are:

Man Utd A
Chelsea H
Newcastle A
West Ham H
Spurs A

You can't see them getting a goal in their next two fixtures. If that were to happen, it's EIGHT games without scoring. Even if they score, it would be miraculous to get a point from them. Newcastle and West Ham are the games in which they might get off the mark, but they will need need to start making progress fast. No points from eight games will mean they need to go on a brilliant run of form.

Is It On....
24-09-2017, 07:13 PM
The worst ever start to a season in English league football. Six games played, no points and no goals. 540 minutes into the season and not even a goal to celebrate. Woy of Iceland infamy says he can turn it around. Old Trafford next weekend.

Should have stuck with The Dutchman..as Roy the Boy is not the answer. I mean what sort of team ditches their manager only 4 competitive games into the season? 😂😂

Andy74
24-09-2017, 07:21 PM
Should have stuck with The Dutchman..as Roy the Boy is not the answer. I mean what sort of team ditches their manager only 4 competitive games into the season? 😂😂

Yep, should have just let him get on with it. Changing hasn’t done anything and it was early days for him anyway.

lord bunberry
24-09-2017, 07:28 PM
The way they're going they'll struggle to match Derby's all time low of 11 points.

Tyler Durden
24-09-2017, 08:09 PM
Only team on my match result and btts coupon to let me down yesterday.

In hindsight it was crazy putting them on but law of averages/probability means they'll score at some time.

Roy will probably do a good job for them and I'm sure he's probably quite happy to get some of the tougher games out the way early doors before he's likely to make an impact anyway.

Always felt a bit sorry for him, he's clearly a clever guy that speaks multiple languages and managed at a very high level across the world but largely because of a speech impediment he's struggled to get any credibility in his own country.

I dont think that's fair at all. He's got plenty of credibility but he's shown he's limited at the highest level and did a pretty awful job at both Liverpool and England.

Will do fine at Palace and personally think they'll stay up comfortably. Even after 8/9 games they'll be able to catch 8-10 points on the likes of Brighton, Bournemouth and Swansea over the rest of the season

calumhibee1
24-09-2017, 08:14 PM
I dont think that's fair at all. He's got plenty of credibility but he's shown he's limited at the highest level and did a pretty awful job at both Liverpool and England.

Will do fine at Palace and personally think they'll stay up comfortably. Even after 8/9 games they'll be able to catch 8-10 points on the likes of Brighton, Bournemouth and Swansea over the rest of the season

I think they'll go down but they're only 4 points behind safety so they're far from done yet.

bingo70
24-09-2017, 08:19 PM

Did an unbelievable job at Fulham and a decent one at West Brom which is probably the level he's at now.

anyway, I'm not some sort of superfan of his, I was just a bit Bored earlier and thought to some of the criticism of him in the media has been harsh, especially the stuff taking the piss out of his speech impediment.

Hibernia&Alba
24-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Did an unbelievable job at Fulham and a decent one at West Brom which is probably the level he's at now.

anyway, I'm not some sort of superfan of his, I was just a bit Bored earlier and thought to some of the criticism of him in the media has been harsh, especially the stuff taking the piss out of his speech impediment.

Then there's Blackburn, Liverpool, England - shambolic.

Is Benteke currently in the team? He's a goal scorer.

Lancs Harp
24-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Hes a decent man and a good manager, sure the jobs at Liverpool and England were a bit much for him but he had relative success in Sweden and in Switzerland at club level and did an exceptonal job with the Swiss national team qualifying for a world cup for the first time since God knows when, got a struggling Inter side moving the the right direction again, as mentioned did well at Fulham and West Brom and at Blackburn he took a mid table team to a Uefa cup spot (second season wasnt quite as good admittedly). Thats a better CV than most I'd say. Taken on a difficult task at Palace though, it has to be said.

jgl07
24-09-2017, 09:29 PM
To lose the first six matches will hardly fill anyone with confidence. If that's not bad enough, they have Chelsea at home in their next match.

They actually played quite well in the first half at the Etihad yesterday. They seemed well drilled in defence and had a few dangerous runs upfield. Loftus-Cheek had a couple of chances, clipping the post with the first and sclaffing the second. Once the first goal was scored they crumpled and could have been hit for ten or more.

I fear for Palace this year.

brog
24-09-2017, 09:57 PM
They are already down imo. Family who are ST holders don’t hold much hope either. They do have good players here and there but for me it would take a massive miracle to survive now even this early in the season.

Roy has done one thing & cancelled the routine Sunday attendance for players & staff, which was introduced by FDB. Means I should meet my Palace contact for 1st time this season at golf next Sunday. On the surface you could say it looks similar to the Collins situation at ER with players resistant to change but I was told weeks ago that pre season was a shambles & that Parish was already having 2nd thoughts. It will be very tough for Palace now.

lapsedhibee
25-09-2017, 06:57 PM

Is that true, or true of just The Premier League? :dunno:

Lancs Harp
25-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Is that true, or true of just The Premier League? :dunno:

Its just the Premier league, you know how it is apparently football didnt exist before the Premier league was formed. I dont know what the record is but I know of all clubs United lost all 12 of their opening games in 1930/31.

Its a bit like this Gareth Barry appearence thing. No mean feat btw but hes no where near the most apps if you consider the old first division. Peter Shilton for instance.

Captain Trips
25-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Oh dear Roy you could be sacked in 1 or 2 games time if no wins if last manager is a benchmark.

lapsedhibee
25-09-2017, 08:09 PM
Its just the Premier league, you know how it is apparently football didnt exist before the Premier league was formed.

Ta. Infuriating habit, that. And another thing - the Premier League honchos almost never give full credit to Hearts for the fact that pro football exists at all, which it wouldn't if Hearts hadn't provided the entire British Army in WWI.

MKHIBEE
25-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Ta. Infuriating habit, that. And another thing - the Premier League honchos almost never give full credit to Hearts for the fact that pro football exists at all, which it wouldn't if Hearts hadn't provided the entire British Army in WWI.
It's ridiculous that someone managed to give Hearts a mention in this thread, spoilt my after dinner drink, thought I would be safe reading a Palace thread.

jgl07
25-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Its just the Premier league, you know how it is apparently football didnt exist before the Premier league was formed. I dont know what the record is but I know of all clubs United lost all 12 of their opening games in 1930/31.

Its a bit like this Gareth Barry appearance thing. No mean feat btw but he's no where near the most apps if you consider the old first division. Peter Shilton for instance.
Most of those on top of the all-time appearances list are Goalkeepers who carry on playing much longer than outfield players. Our own John Burridge turned out for Manchester City in his mid-40s and played for another 11 clubs after that.

Often outfield players move back as they get older. Strikers retreat into midfield and midfielders go into defence.

Barry started out as a central defender and moved into midfield and still plays there at a high level at the age of 36.

heretoday
25-09-2017, 09:26 PM

Its a bit like this Gareth Barry appearence thing. No mean feat btw but hes no where near the most apps if you consider the old first division. Peter Shilton for instance.
Good point.

Hibernia&Alba
25-09-2017, 10:10 PM

I could be wrong, but I think no goals in the first six matches is an all time English football league record, not just a Premier League record.

1van Sprou7e
25-09-2017, 10:31 PM
I could be wrong, but I think no goals in the first six matches is an all time English football league record, not just a Premier League record.

Correct, they are the first side in English professional football history to lose their first six games of the season without scoring a single goal

Lancs Harp
25-09-2017, 10:38 PM

It could well be, my reply was regarding number of games lost.

Hibernia&Alba
25-09-2017, 10:41 PM
It could well be, my reply was regarding number of games lost.

But that isn't the record I referred to.

Lancs Harp
25-09-2017, 10:42 PM
But that isn't the record I referred to.

I was replying to lapsedhibee hence quoting him

Hibernia&Alba
25-09-2017, 10:54 PM
I was replying to lapsedhibee hence quoting him

But lapsedhibee was responding to my post :greengrin. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Palace need goals asap, but are likely to struggle in their next two league games. Eight games with a goal/point would be brutal.

Dashing Bob S
26-09-2017, 01:05 AM
Next 5 games are:

Man Utd A
Chelsea H
Newcastle A
West Ham H
Spurs A

They'll draw at Newcastle and beat West Ham at home.

Hibernia&Alba
01-10-2017, 07:44 AM
No goals for Palace yesterday, but hardly a surprise. I had a few quid on 5-0 at 22/1 - scunnered. Palace have Chelsea at home next weekend; unlikely they'll get a goal in that one.

Lancs Harp
03-10-2017, 09:08 AM
These are the entries taken from this months Crystal Palace goal of the month contest.

https://twitter.com/FYPFanzine/status/914411505575170048

Its a tough choice but my choice would be goal 4 them 1, 3 and 2.

Hibernia&Alba
03-10-2017, 09:35 AM
These are the entries taken from this months Crystal Palace goal of the month contest.

https://twitter.com/FYPFanzine/status/914411505575170048

Its a tough choice but my choice would be goal 4 them 1, 3 and 2.

Yeah, I saw that. At least it's a better compilation than their league goals!

Pete
14-10-2017, 10:52 PM
:hmmm:

houstonhibbee
15-10-2017, 12:16 AM
Crystal Palace could offload Andros Townsend to Leicester in January in order to fund new striker

May change their mind on that one.............he was immense yesterday in an attacking role

Sweet Left Peg
15-10-2017, 07:01 AM
They ruined my 8-fold acca yesterday. Raging.

Sammy7nil
15-10-2017, 10:14 AM
They ruined my 8-fold acca yesterday. Raging.

Yip saved the bookies a fortune would ruin most fivefolds and larger accas.
A few people who posted on here feelng a bit silly ?

frazeHFC
15-10-2017, 10:38 AM
I think they'll still be one of the 3 to go down, but that result is exactly what they need to potentially kick start the season. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the score yesterday, but it's hilarious cause I hate Chelsea (apart from the fact I have Azpilicueta in my fantasy prem team!)

Hibernia&Alba
15-10-2017, 05:50 PM
What a turn up that was, and against Chelsea too. Like the vast majority, I didn't give them a prayer, but I'm very happy with that. I still think they'll go down, but that result was huge for them.