PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Pike Bingo

Salisbury Hibby
24-09-2017, 07:38 AM
I'll start by saying that I really enjoy Cliff's commentary, but a comment on the match thread got me thinking about his stock phrases. For a bit of fun, I'd like to ask what phrases stick in your mind.

"All over him like a cheap suit"
"High, wide and mighty"

Any more?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

SRHibs
24-09-2017, 07:39 AM
Everything seems to be the near post.

LaMotta
24-09-2017, 07:40 AM
Its in the back of the net.....

Salisbury Hibby
24-09-2017, 07:44 AM
Oh come on, referee!

iwasthere1972
24-09-2017, 07:55 AM
3-2 Hibs.

nonshinyfinish
24-09-2017, 08:02 AM
I'd never noticed it myself, but I watched the Falkirk game at the end of last season with a friend who's quite new to football who said 'a lot of players "do well", don't they?'

Now I can't unhear it.

Peevemor
24-09-2017, 08:21 AM
Second ball (started about half way through last season)

... by intention or design (it's the same thing Cliff)

Shwr gbb mub rmm fwah... (just after half time when when he's still eating).

Curried
24-09-2017, 08:31 AM
"He's rolling around like he was dead" is my all time favourite. I think it was in a cup game a couple of seasons back but can't remember who we were playing.

Hibbyradge
24-09-2017, 09:11 AM
I'll start by saying that I really enjoy Cliff's commentary, but a comment on the match thread got me thinking about his stock phrases. For a bit of fun, I'd like to ask what phrases stick in your mind.

"High, wide and mighty"

Any more?

I think it was my comment about the "cheap suit" cliché that you saw. Talking about football, live, for the best part of 2 hours must be difficult and there are only so many interesting or funny phrases to go round so repetition is inevitable.

Having said that, I didn't listen yesterday and have almost decided to stop listening altogether.

Nothing to do with Cliff's commentary, though. It's just that everytime I do listen to a game live, we seem to get a disappointing result.

I hate being so superstitious, but I'm working on it.

rotherhamrob
24-09-2017, 09:19 AM
My favourite phrase is one that will never be repeated,"it's been a 114 years and now it's no even been a 114 seconds".

Curried
24-09-2017, 09:32 AM
"Leaping like a salmon" :-)

SouthMoroccoStu
24-09-2017, 09:49 AM
My favourite phrase is one that will never be repeated,"it's been a 114 years and now it's no even been a 114 seconds".

That's a classic

But the RangersTV commentatary from that game takes some beating

"Oh no...."

Forza Fred
24-09-2017, 09:56 AM
I'm an unbiased fan of Cliff's Hibs Tv commentaries, so if he's looking in, keep the good work mate, you probably don't realise how much you brighten our weary nights at this end of the world.

Pretty Boy
24-09-2017, 09:56 AM

You never know. The Hibs TV commentator in 2130 might take it as inspiration.

KWJ
24-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Classic Cliff likes for me are

'He only used the one hand there' and '<player> scampers down the line with the ball'

matty_f
24-09-2017, 10:27 AM
I'm an unbiased fan of Cliff's Hibs Tv commentaries, so if he's looking in, keep the good work mate, you probably don't realise how much you brighten our weary nights at this end of the world.

I enjoy his commentary as well. :agree:

SaulGoodman
24-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Going against the grain here but I'm not too keen on the Hibs TV commentary. Obviously they're Hibs fans but sometimes when Hibs score it's just plain shouting.

seanshow
24-09-2017, 10:52 AM

"High, wide and mighty"

Any more?

"....goalkeeper today dressed in highlighter orange"
"the ball cleared long by the Hertz defence, to the cries of Hoof by the Hibs fans" - Edin Derby @ER
"once again apologies for the sound drop out and loss of commentary" lol

euro Hibby
24-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Only negative for me is his need or love for boiled sweets.........gets me especially if Hibs are playing badly... Usually pops one in his mouth around 48 minutes....

My_Wife_Camille
24-09-2017, 11:12 AM
Its in the back of the net.....
This was mine :cb

Cliff is a Hibs legend though

PeeJay
24-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Always enjoy Cliff's commentary, particularly the half-time pie reports ... he also never fails to mention the keeper's "highlighter" coloured jersey .... :greengrin

_hucks_
24-09-2017, 11:34 AM
"The referee says nothing doing"

SRHibs
24-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Is it cliff who does the interviews too? Never been a huge fan of them even though the commentary is fine. Always thought that Irish kid who posted here would've been great to have doing the interviews on a permanent basis.

The Tubs
24-09-2017, 11:46 AM
I'm a fan too.

The missus always remarks on his encouragement to drink something "a little bit stronger" at half time.

AZhibee
24-09-2017, 04:07 PM
I am accumulating a list of my favorite Cliff Pike phrases for a later thread, but a recent favorite was "throwing his arms around like a demented washing line" referring to a keeper gaffe.

Thanks to all at Hibs TV for making it possible to follow Hibs internationally.

Centre Hawf
24-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Two that spring to mind are "Can he get past his man... he does/doesn't" and "X for Hibs now, what can he do?"

The something stronger at half time is a bit of a catch phrase now.

AZhibee
24-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Enjoy the match day chat board on Hibs TV, and seeing where everyone is tuning in from, as well as the commetators shout outs to the wall posters which results in Cliff saying "Hibees here, Hibees there...".
:flag:

lord bunberry
24-09-2017, 05:44 PM
xxxx has got xxxx outside him if he needs him

The Green Goblin
24-09-2017, 05:54 PM
Absolutely love Cliff's commentary :thumbsup:

IberianHibernian
24-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Is it cliff who does the interviews too? Never been a huge fan of them even though the commentary is fine. Always thought that Irish kid who posted here would've been great to have doing the interviews on a permanent basis.Agree about the Irish guy . His interviews are always interesting though he doesn`t seem to have posted here for a while . Would be great if he could be involved more . As for Cliff`s commentaries I always enjoy them though I personally would prefer a slightly more neutral commentary ( realise that most fans won`t share my opinion ) . I`ve watched Hibs on other clubs TV service like Raith or St Mirren and enjoyed the commentaries where commentators were clearly fans of home teams but still seemed reasonably neutral in comments .

Forza Fred
24-09-2017, 11:42 PM
Going against the grain here but I'm not too keen on the Hibs TV commentary. Obviously they're Hibs fans but sometimes when Hibs score it's just plain shouting.

Never noticed that. But that's maybe cos I'm shouting at 2 in the morning too when we score.

Aussie neighbours probably think occasional Saturday night nocturnal howls of YEEEEEEES, are some kind of sexual activity in progress, or concluded!

AZhibee
25-09-2017, 12:59 AM
Never noticed that. But that's maybe cos I'm shouting at 2 in the morning too when we score.

Aussie neighbours probably think occasional Saturday night nocturnal howls of YEEEEEEES, are some kind of sexual activity in progress, or concluded!

...and they assume that "the ball's in the back of the net" is just some sort of innuendo.

Steve-O
25-09-2017, 01:18 AM
"refereeeeee"

aussie_hibee
25-09-2017, 01:24 AM
I also like Cliff's commentary. He was sorely missed at the start of the season as the young fellow filling in just wasn't quick enough to keep up.

"The keeper drives it long upfield" is used quite a bit.