PDA

View Full Version : You're the manager - how do you beat Celtic?

theonlywayisup
23-09-2017, 06:22 PM
The next Scottish team to try and beat Celtic are............... the Hibees.

The Rangers tried and failed, as have the others. But Celtic have not faced the Hibees for a number of years, so we'll be a new play thing for them.

So, you're the manager. How do you beat Celtic? Keeping everything sort of legal.

Smartie
23-09-2017, 06:28 PM

The Rangers tried and failed, as have the others. But Celtic have not faced the Hibees for a number of years, so we'll be a new play thing for them.

So, you're the manager. How do you beat Celtic? Keeping everything sort of legal.

Play with 15 men, kick them up and down the park, use our hands to carry the ball and finish the game with more goals than them and a victory. Keep the 3 points by convincing everyone that it is best to "move on".

18Hibee75
23-09-2017, 06:31 PM
I'd probably play a 4-5-1 turning into a 4-3-3 when attacking. Laidlaw, Gray, Ambrose, Hanlon, Stevenson, Boyle, McGeough, Bartley, McGinn, Swanson, Stokes. Have Gray and Boyle teaming up on Sinclair and Stevenson and Swanson teaming up on Roberts, With McGinn and Bartley not letting Celtic settle in midfield.

Every single player would have to be playing at 100% and Celtic will hopefully be a little bit off and fatigued from a tiresome game against Anderlecht...

Whatever team NL sets out will be the right one however, he knows Celtic inside out and I wouldn't want any other manager in Scotland to try and beat Celtic with hibs. Weirdly I'm quietly confident we could get something from Parkhead.

gaz1875
23-09-2017, 06:31 PM
Press them every time they get the ball, don't let them get into any rhythm (see Motherwell v Aberdeen).

HappyAsHellas
23-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Stop them playing out from the back - Rangers done this to good effect in the first half, forcing their centre backs to hit long high balls to Griffiths who never got near any of them. Hopefully Rodgers will play Forrest instead of Roberts as he seems to be the only guy who can see something in him. Defensively Smellies look more than a bit suspect, especially with early crosses. We have nothing to fear and nothing to lose so let's go for it.

Smartie
23-09-2017, 06:35 PM
I'd probably play a 4-5-1 turning into a 4-3-3 when attacking. Laidlaw, Gray, Ambrose, Hanlon, Stevenson, Boyle, McGeough, Bartley, McGinn, Swanson, Stokes. Have Gray and Boyle teaming up on Sinclair and Stevenson and Swanson teaming up on Roberts, With McGinn and Bartley not letting Celtic settle in midfield.

Every single player would have to be playing at 100% and Celtic will hopefully be a little bit off and fatigued from a tiresome game against Anderlecht...

Whatever team NL sets out will be the right one however, he knows Celtic inside out and I wouldn't want any other manager in Scotland to try and beat Celtic with hibs. Weirdly I'm quietly confident we could get something from Parkhead.

They'll have had 2 huge games in the week before the game, which will take their toll on them physically, mentally and emotionally.

We've got a handy squad with a few players who have the attributes to relish a physical encounter played at pace.

I share your weird confidence, and I think we'll have a few players bursting more than ever to make an impression, for various reasons, along with our management team.

Leith's finest
23-09-2017, 06:37 PM
Put away the chances

Pretty Boy
23-09-2017, 06:40 PM
First of all get close to Scott Brown. He keeps things ticking over for them as he's always available for the ball and keeps it moving. The amount of space teams seem to give him baffles me, he was walking about Ibrox like he owned the place today and not one Rangers player wanted to know.

The key to beating a team like Celtic who move the ball quickly and fluently is making sure every player keeps their discipline. By that I mean no one breaking ranks to try and make challenges or interceptions or whatever that aren't on and leaving space. A solid bank of 4, match them up in midfield and drill into everyone that they need to keep their shape, keep their position and press both ball and space as a unit and only when it's on.

It's a huge ask to contain a side like Celtic but it's manageable as St Johnstone proved recently. It requires everyone to know their role and to stick to it.

lugz
23-09-2017, 06:40 PM
This is looking more and more like a difficult question to answer.

I honestly think if you play the pressure game they'll pass you off the park and players like Sinclair and Roberts will get their one on ones and will get through.

I'd probably park the bus and see if you can survive 60/70 minutes then try come out and play. Boyle and Murray are a must against them to get us up the park.

Wilson
23-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Put away the chances

Thank you Max Allegri.

Ryan69
23-09-2017, 06:43 PM

In their face...going for the throat!

An early goal,and the glory hunting hoard get restless and upset.

We have got togo all guns blazing into that game I reckon!

Roxyhibee
23-09-2017, 06:46 PM
4-5-1. Definitely.

Laidlaw.
Gray. Ambrose. Hanlon. Stevenson.
Whittaker. McGeouch. Bartley. Slivka. McGinn.
Stokes.

Protect the wide areas and take those fkrs on right through the middle.

Onion
23-09-2017, 06:47 PM
Take every goal-scoring chance we get, and have our defence to be at the top of their game.

Their unbeaten run must come to an end sometime, might as well be us.

matty_f
23-09-2017, 06:49 PM
I hope we don't set out to be too defensive. I think we can try and take the game to them and give them something to worry about.

If Boyle and Barker are fit then I'd try and keep them wife and high up the pitch to give Celtc's full backs something to stop them bombing forward.

Other than that, we need to be clinical when we do get chances, and we'll need to carry some luck as well.

Forthview
23-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Consider most of the games we played the last couple of seasons and flip it over. Stop the keeper playing it out and forcing him to kick it long. Do the same with their defenders and pray that they have an off day. They didnt score 5 every game.

RyeSloan
23-09-2017, 06:54 PM
I would definitely be drilling into the team the need to lose an early goal. Once the pressure of worrying about losing the first goal if lifted then we can take it from there...

Mibbes Aye
23-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Brown needs to be denied the space he got today. Part of me is tempted to try and ensure Roberts and Sinclair are shown inside as much as possible, to congest the middle. It's not pretty and they won't not be dangerous coming in but it might limit their ability to pull a second or even third player out of position.

Because they have been so dominant they are used to playing the full-backs high, leaving space behind, and the centre-backs are without a doubt the weakest element in their team. I fel that's where our best chances may come from, getting behind them on the flank and attacking the middle.

Pound-for-pound they have far better players than anyone else, plus a really strong bench so we would be hoping for a happy combination - we are at our best, they are mentally and physically tired and we get the rub of the green on the day

BT58
23-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Score first,its gonna be a hard game no matter what,hopefully hard work, tactics and luck will do for us, that and the unknown of us never playing them for a few seasons.....clutching at straws....

Col2
23-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Really difficult to see anything other than a defeat but that's why Lennon is the manager and not any of us!

4-2-3-1 for me and 2 of the 3 have to track back!

Laidlaw
Gray or Whittaker
Ambrose
Hanlon
Stevenson

Bartley
Slivka

McGeouch
McGinn
Boyle

Stokes or Murray

Lennon won't drop stokes but Murray would gives us more pace and outlet.

Keep it tight and double up Roberts and Sinclair. Hope Griffiths has a bad day and hope we take the one or two chances we might get.

18Hibee75
23-09-2017, 07:04 PM
What does everyone hope the score will be for the Celtic game midweek? Perfect scenario for me would be, both teams go at each other and match each other but Celtic lose 3-2 last kick off game. And brown gets a knock that rules him out of game with us.

Slavers
23-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Set Bartley on Brown and take him out the game would be a good start.

hibsbollah
23-09-2017, 07:08 PM
451 Stokes supported by Boyle breaking from deep in midfield. Don't press too much, let them have the ball in their own half.

Pretty Boy
23-09-2017, 07:11 PM
451 Stokes supported by Boyle breaking from deep in midfield. Don't press too much, let them have the ball in their own half.

That's key. It's how we played the Huns in the SC final when they had the ball. A lot of people find it frustrating and start moaning about 'sitting back' but it's not, it's being disciplined and smart. If we try and chase Celtic all over the park to press them they will exploit the inevitable space we love added to the fact we will be absolutely shattered after 65 minutes and they will pick us off.

guthrie01
23-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Bartley will be the key man in this match, his ability to break down a team's attack is vital against a strong attacking team like Celtic

Stokesy will also be crucial if we are to win, I'm sure he will want to prove a point against his old team and we need to make sure he gets the service needed to spread the fire

7 days to go and I can't wait, hope we embarrass the lot of them next week like we have done against Rangers and Hearts recently

skipster7
23-09-2017, 07:18 PM
Would try to crowd midfield closing space for Armstrong etc to burst into,still have to fit Boyle in for pace on the break. Stokes hopefully coming in from left could cause problems. They have goals all over so keeping them all under control for 90 mins is a big ask.
LG to pick up a training knock on Friday ruling him out:wink:
1-1 draw would do

dcm89
23-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Play without goalposts:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoneyburn hibs
23-09-2017, 07:43 PM
451 press them and long balls.

brianmc
23-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Don't bother trying too hard in the league game, lull them into a false sense of security, them pump them in the Cup game!!

And FFS don't give away any free kicks within 35 yards of our goal.

Ronniekirk
23-09-2017, 07:48 PM
Its not going to happen this Season The Rangers are do far behind Celtic and they know it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snooky
23-09-2017, 07:49 PM
It'll be ten against twelve and Leigh will score a couple.
Celtc 0 Hibs 2 ( Griffith's 5min og, 50min og)

lugz
23-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Don't bother trying too hard in the league game, lull them into a false sense of security, them pump them in the Cup game!!

And FFS don't give away any free kicks within 35 yards of our goal.

I feel like a sparky goal is inevitable 👎

lord bunberry
23-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Make them worry about us. Play our usual game and try and not lose silly games. The mentality of the players will play a big part in how we do, some teams seem to have lost before the game starts. If we start like we did like we did at ibrox, we'll be in for a long match.

Glory Lurker
23-09-2017, 07:52 PM
We'll have to totally burst a gut just to draw this. I'm not convinced it's worth it. I'd be tempted to put a few squad players in to give them game time.

stoneyburn hibs
23-09-2017, 07:54 PM
I don't think LG has scored against us in a Celtic strip, could be wrong?

lord bunberry
23-09-2017, 07:57 PM
I don't think LG has scored against us in a Celtic strip, could be wrong?
He hasn't played us yet.

stoneyburn hibs
23-09-2017, 08:01 PM
He hasn't played us yet.

Tight hamstring for the wee man in midweek training.

cleanyman
23-09-2017, 08:01 PM
We'll have to totally burst a gut just to draw this. I'm not convinced it's worth it. I'd be tempted to put a few squad players in to give them game time.

Wit?

There's a two week break after the game

ancient hibee
23-09-2017, 08:04 PM
Rangers worked really hard and doubled up out wide,that's a given.Their centre backs can get into trouble if harassed and were rescued two or three times by Brown after they'd given him dreadful passes so try and pressure them when they have the ball.Central midfield will have to make sure they stick with their man and don't follow the ball.Use the full 14 players.

Northernhibee
23-09-2017, 08:22 PM
I'd probably instruct the team to score more goals than the opposition.

Iggy Pope
23-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Restrict their view.

Sir David Gray
23-09-2017, 08:39 PM
We need to get in their faces as much as possible, disrupt their rhythm and slow the game down at any opportunity. We need a big performance from every single player if we're to have any chance of getting something. We also need to do the ugly side of the game really well. Lots of niggly wee fouls in non dangerous areas of the pitch but nothing serious enough to warrant red cards.

It's going to be a very big ask for us to get anything next week Their attacking players are far better than anything we have faced for a very long time. I just hope we don't get embarrassed.

Haymaker
23-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Score more goals than them. Simple really.

BoomtownHibees
23-09-2017, 08:41 PM
If we can score and stop them from scoring then we've got a chance

Lancs Harp
23-09-2017, 08:43 PM
A very difficult proposition. If Celtic have a weakness its probably at the back where in Scotland they arent tested often enough and in Europe are often found wanting. Lustig and inparticular Simunovic arent really that good. They use width very well and runners from deep. Its a very difficult ask. Set pieces could well be critcal going forward, need our fullbacks to be in top form and they will need help from those in front, so to me that means Boyle plays but Barker doesnt.

This match will be a great measuring stick. Rise up SJM the stage is yours.

bubblesmorrison
23-09-2017, 08:43 PM
By scoring more goals than them!

But seriously it would take a vintage hibs performance and below par Celtic performance to get anything out of it.

I would set up a stubborn team have Bartley and another holding in a 5 man midfield and pace out wide with stokes playing up top alone.

Hibernia&Alba
23-09-2017, 08:47 PM
St Johnstone got a point by taking the game to them. They didn't sit deep, but instead played high up the pitch and pressed. Obviously that leaves the risk of being exposed at the back, but there's no perfect strategy: every plan has its counteractions. Teams playing Celtic spend a lot of time chasing the ball, meaning fitness and concentration are vital.

It's very unlikely we'll get anything, but at some stage they have to lose a game. We'll need every player at his best and also have a wee bit of good fortune on the day. If the team works their socks off, that's all we can ask.

Souter96Mac
23-09-2017, 09:09 PM
Shame we've probably not got mcgregor fit for this as I'd go with the 352. Would even be prepared to go with what we played today but swanson instead of Murray, so we go with a 451 when defending but then push danny and boyle on when attacking

Northernhibee
23-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Score more goals than them. Simple really.

This is interesting. We'd both play the same tactics.

What would happen if my Hibs team played your Hibs team and we both scored more goals than each other? Have we broken football?

Nitten Hibee
23-09-2017, 09:28 PM
I am looking forward to Scott Brown v Big Marv should make for intresting viewing 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

one day maybe...
23-09-2017, 09:59 PM
I'd look at going at them from the star,t so 3-5 -2 for me

laidlaw

Gray
Ambrose
Hanlon

Boyle
McGinn
Bartley
McGeouch
Barker if fit (Stevenson)

Murray
Stokes

#GGTTH

capitals_finest
23-09-2017, 10:04 PM
is this thread a wise idea? Brendan might be looking in...

Wilson
23-09-2017, 10:15 PM
is this thread a wise idea? Brendan might be looking in...

Brilliant! Made me laugh :)

AFKA5814_Hibs
23-09-2017, 10:16 PM
Our 3 games against them this year are all going to be after they've played european games, always the best time to play them imo.

We would still have to be at our best and hope they're off their game. In the grand scheme of things they're nothing special but obviously better than anything in this country, but we've beaten the best sides in the country before. They will be beaten by a scottish team at some time why not by Hibs?

Pretty sure when we beat them in the league cup quarter final at ER (Dec 2003) that was their first domestic defeat that season)

Haymaker
23-09-2017, 10:28 PM
This is interesting. We'd both play the same tactics.

What would happen if my Hibs team played your Hibs team and we both scored more goals than each other? Have we broken football?

The universe would explode.

P.S... My Hibs team would beat your Hibs team.

Northernhibee
23-09-2017, 10:32 PM
The universe would explode.

P.S... My Hibs team would beat your Hibs team.

Not a chance. My dream of a team of Colin Nish would be finally realised

Number one is Colin Nish :hyper
And number two is Colin Nish :hyper
Number three is Colin Nish :hyper
And number four is Colin Nish :hyper
Number five is Colin Nish :hyper
And number six is Colin Nish :hyper
Number seven is Colin Nish :hyper
And number eight is Colin Nish :hyper
Number nine is Colin Nish :hyper
And number ten is Colin Nish :hyper

I'd probably play Valdys Trakys in the number 11 role.

Haymaker
23-09-2017, 10:44 PM
:faf: NH

HFCdeb
23-09-2017, 11:14 PM
I'd play the exact same team we had out today. Midfield was excellent and Laidlaw was phenomenal.

shetlandhibee
23-09-2017, 11:40 PM
nearly the worst post ive ever seen on net?? speechless:rolleyes::rolleyes:

shetlandhibee
23-09-2017, 11:44 PM
score more goalds than them try and keep a clean sheet! no?? they are not going to never ever be beaten bye a scottish team again, why not us?? saint johnston nearlyu beat them a few weeks ago,,they are in europe midweek i think we have a right good chance of at least a draw GGTTH:agree:

beensaidbefore
23-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Get Neil Lennon to whip the home fans into some kinda goodwill, piss Rodgers off at the same time and get him to pally pally with the guys he knows, Scott brown etc. 'Hey broony remember that time bla bla bla', then, the little scrotes thinking we are all mates, gonna be a push over. Lennon then gets the knives out and we cut them up like the pieces of **** they are!

Nicho87
24-09-2017, 06:16 AM
Turn up the day before

Brightside
24-09-2017, 06:42 AM
352 niggle brown off the ball so he reacts and gets sent off. attack through the centre.

SirDavidsNapper
24-09-2017, 06:58 AM
Show them no respect and get stuck into them

iwasthere1972
24-09-2017, 07:02 AM
Park the bus and let the goalie fire long shots at Gordon.

J-C
24-09-2017, 07:20 AM
I'd go with a back 4 as we're struggling for CH's at the moment and go 4-1-4-1 keeping it tight in the middle, let Boyle and Barker keep their wingbacks busy, lots of pressure on the ball and keep nipping at them with not a minutes peace, it's all about getting stuck in.

we are hibs
24-09-2017, 07:22 AM
Got big worries over Whittaker against Sinclair. Boyle up against Tierney could be interesting. I'd play 3 centre backs and give Porteous a chance. I'm not convinced with Ambrose and Hanlon as a pairing and it could be a long afternoon, no doubt we have players who can hurt them too though as I don't think they are massively impressive at the back. I'd consider playing Murray too as he'd be good at closing down Gordon who is dodgy on the ball but that would mean sacrificing Boyle. Tough decisions but that's why Lennon gets paid to do it and not us

overdrive
24-09-2017, 07:34 AM
Similar tactics to the Sproule 3-0 game at Ibrox. Keep it tight for an hour or so then hit them with pace.

iwasthere1972
24-09-2017, 07:39 AM
Kidnap Leigh Griffiths.

Only joking if Police Scotland are looking in. :wink:

lucky
24-09-2017, 07:42 AM
Stop Brown playing. Hit them on the break with pace. 4-1-4-1 Bartley needs to have a cracking game

Scooter
24-09-2017, 07:44 AM
We have to try and nullify their width almost all their good stuff comes down then flanks. But how do we do that. Personally no point in sitting and trying to counter. Boyle on one side Barker on the other and Whittaker and Stevenson get them to support. Give Celtic something to think about

blaikie
24-09-2017, 08:09 AM
Same way we played rangers at Ibrox, over populate and dominate midfield.

Silvka is a must his passing was excellent at Ibrox, I'd be tempted to drop Stokes and bring him on in the final 30 minutes he was poor against Rangers last month and seemed isolated at times.

heretoday
24-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Come over all posh in the tunnel. "Oh Scott Brown! Are you actually Scottish? Ha ha!"

They'll be so socially embarrassed we'll take them to the cleaners.

JimBHibees
24-09-2017, 08:21 AM
That's key. It's how we played the Huns in the SC final when they had the ball. A lot of people find it frustrating and start moaning about 'sitting back' but it's not, it's being disciplined and smart. If we try and chase Celtic all over the park to press them they will exploit the inevitable space we love added to the fact we will be absolutely shattered after 65 minutes and they will pick us off.

Absolutely sit deep allow them the ball up to certain areas and then be brave and keep the ball when we win it. Their weakness is defence and we can break quick if on.

JimBHibees
24-09-2017, 08:22 AM
Got big worries over Whittaker against Sinclair. Boyle up against Tierney could be interesting. I'd play 3 centre backs and give Porteous a chance. I'm not convinced with Ambrose and Hanlon as a pairing and it could be a long afternoon, no doubt we have players who can hurt them too though as I don't think they are massively impressive at the back. I'd consider playing Murray too as he'd be good at closing down Gordon who is dodgy on the ball but that would mean sacrificing Boyle. Tough decisions but that's why Lennon gets paid to do it and not us

I would play both need people who can get around the pitch.

BoomtownHibees
Same way we played rangers at Ibrox, over populate and dominate midfield.

Silvka is a must his passing was excellent at Ibrox, I'd be tempted to drop Stokes and bring him on in the final 30 minutes he was poor against Rangers last month and seemed isolated at times.

Drop Stokes?? You mad bro?

S4uzee
Ideally we would've played 3-5-2 but we don't have enough fit CBs which is annoying

Forza Fred
24-09-2017, 09:45 AM
In their face...going for the throat!

An early goal,and the glory hunting hoard get restless and upset.

We have got togo all guns blazing into that game I reckon!

I'm with you.

We are not suited to parking the bus and need to take the game to them.

Their defence can look stressed at times, but if given time to settle they will beat us.

As Corporal Jones says....'They don't like the cold steel up 'em"

blaikie
24-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Drop Stokes?? You mad bro?

Bold decision but I'd rather have the extra body in the midfield to breakup play.

I think Stokes coming on with a point to prove in the final 30 minutes would be ideal especially as they start to tire after the week they've had!

where'stheslope
24-09-2017, 10:13 AM
With their pace and passing, it would be easier to brick up the goals to stop the ball crossing the line!

But even at that, the way we are playing at the moment, it would end up a 0 - 0 draw!!!

Still a point more than others will get!!!!!!

Alex Trager
24-09-2017, 10:16 AM
Play with 15 men, kick them up and down the park, use our hands to carry the ball and finish the game with more goals than them and a victory. Keep the 3 points by convincing everyone that it is best to "move on".

So play rugby? :)

Lancs Harp
24-09-2017, 10:23 AM
So play rugby? :)

Hearts tried that, didnt work.

SaulGoodman
24-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Bait the Celtic players into getting sent off and win the game by default.

Sammy7nil
24-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Bold decision but I'd rather have the extra body in the midfield to breakup play.

I think Stokes coming on with a point to prove in the final 30 minutes would be ideal especially as they start to tire after the week they've had!

It could be 3-0 by that time Stokes should play. Hibs should concentrate on what we are good not what Celtic do. Teams have all tried to sit in agaist Celtic and so far they have all failed so just treat this like a game have a go and try to win.

This not the best Celtic team I have seen yes they are good but the performaces in Europe prove they are beatable if you get at them.

hibs#1
24-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Just go mental and try and score as many goals as possible might lose 6-4 but at least it would be entertaining.

euro Hibby
24-09-2017, 11:05 AM
st johnstone managed a point so why can't we do the same ! They are a good team , better than the other teams in the league but a collective
good day and some tired legs from a midweek European game could work in our favour. Not impossible, hard work and organisation.

Eyrie
24-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Bribe their best players to join us (a tactic straight out of 1888).

shetlandhibee
24-09-2017, 11:09 AM
ive seen it all now! drop stokes? take him on for last 30?? stokes IMO will be first name on team sheet, hes getting better week by week, IMHO this games going to be a lot closer than a lot of people think:agree:

shetlandhibee
24-09-2017, 11:10 AM
It could be 3-0 by that time Stokes should play. Hibs should concentrate on what we are good not what Celtic do. Teams have all tried to sit in agaist Celtic and so far they have all failed so just treat this like a game have a go and try to win.

This not the best Celtic team I have seen yes they are good but the performaces in Europe prove they are beatable if you get at them.:top marks

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Get Lenny to cup his ears??

erin go bragh
24-09-2017, 12:14 PM
I'd play five in midfield. SJM , Bartley,McGeough,Slivka ,Boyle .
Press them as high up the pitch and attack them with pace on the flanks .
Stokes to score a hattrick in a famous 3-1 win .

Big L
24-09-2017, 12:16 PM
4-2-3-1 Laidlaw

Whittaker Porteous Hanlon Stevenson

Bartley Efe

Boyle Slivka McGinn

Stokes.

ancient hibee
24-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Rangers defence was ok.,McCrorie better than ok.Their front men kept going but their midfield was abysmal.Extra man in midfield would allow one to push up on Brown and niggle him.

Hibernia&Alba
24-09-2017, 12:19 PM
If we sit back and invite them on, we'll get leathered. Push up, as St Johnstone did and have a go. It's a free hit, with no pressure.

NAE NOOKIE
24-09-2017, 12:31 PM
I have noticed in 'big games' that John McGinn, whether by accident or design plays more like a midfield spoiler than an attacking midfield player. I would get him to stick to Scott Brown like bloody glue and follow him all over the pitch. The amount of time and space Brown is allowed in games does my head in and IMO its one of the reasons Celtic are so effective going forward. McGinn loves a tackle, is easily as physical as Brown and is very good at shielding the ball when he gets possession .... if he keeps niggling away its only a matter of time before he provokes a reaction.

In this situation I think McGinn would be even more effective than Bartley and I would love to see how it pans out ... Brown always gets an easy ride for me, I think we should put a stop to it next Saturday and SJM is just the man to do it IMO.

3 - 5 - 2 would be my preferred option, but with Fonts and Daz both out the only way to play that would be to chuck Porteous in at the deep end, which I cant see it happening. In which case I would play a 4 - 5 - 1

Laidlaw

Whittaker ( unless SDG is fit ) Ambrose, Hanlon, Stevenson

Boyle, McGinn, Bartley, Slivka, Swanson

Stokes

Boyle is brilliant at tracking back and hopefully Swanson can do a similar job in front of Stevenson, which will hopefully limit Celtic's options out wide .... but they both have the pace to cause problems on the break, it might just be my imagination, but I'm sure Danny Swanson likes playing at Parkhead and has had some good games there.

The only thing I cant decide on is how to play ...... Do we press high up the pitch forcing them to play long balls, or do we allow them the ball in their own half and flood our half with bodies looking to hit on the break when we gain possession. Both systems have their merits, but also their dangers ..... over to you Neil.

PS
If we go a goal behind in the first 15 minutes then sod it ........... Take off Bartley, chuck on Murray go 4 - 4 - 2 and have a bloody right good go. We might get pumped as a result, but it will be interesting to watch :greengrin

PeeJay
24-09-2017, 12:42 PM
On our day, with some luck and lots of hard work and steely concentration we might just manage to beat them, especially if they play very, very poorly. Don't think we should sit deep as some have suggested, we should press them up the park, but I don't think the team is fit enough to do that for long. Rangers were decent enough running at them on the break, as the Celtic defence is not so steadfast, but we need to take any chances we have .... personally I think they have too much pace and skill and creativity for us and they are - on their day - a far better team than Hibs, then again - on the day - it's only 11 men each and one ball, anything can happen - this will be a reality check for Hibs fans: how good we are and how good Lennon is ....

Col2
24-09-2017, 12:55 PM
The build up after the CL midweek game will be about Lennon going back to parkhead. The Celtic fans will not treat like a Rangers (hate) or Aberdeen (closer rival) or Hearts (Diet Huns) so I don't expect much 'spice' from them or the players. This might help us especially if they have had a physically tough game in midweek.

So then.....Bartley wipes out Brown after 5 mins and the tone for us is set.....

Need to be right up for it, the right tempo, be brave and concentration 100% for 95 mins.

Baader
24-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Someone is going to beat them eventually. Why not us? Need a few breaks and can't afford to waste any chances. You need to close them down right from the back so a key role for our frontmen.

Hibernia&Alba
24-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Someone is going to beat them eventually. Why not us? Need a few break and can't afford to waste any chances. You need to close them down right from the back so a key role for our frontmen.

When they do lose, I doubt it will be a home game. It's a huge ask, but there's no pressure. Play and have a go.

NAE NOOKIE
24-09-2017, 01:24 PM
When they do lose, I doubt it will be a home game. It's a huge ask, but there's no pressure. Play and have a go.

Probably right, at the end of the day what do we really have to lose, and if we do give it a real go at least it will give the Celtic fans another chance to patronise us by saying how refreshing it was to see plucky Hibs come to their bit and actually have a go, unlike other teams. :greengrin

eastcoasthibby
24-09-2017, 01:24 PM
Wind Brown up with in his face stuff from the start get him to bite, and he will start his kicking, elbows,leaving his studs in, nasty wee stamps and hope the.officis have.the bottle to make a decision against him....yip I know it will be the first.time this season but we need.to upset his game !!
Stokes needs.to screw.the.nut as.they will be at.it winding.him up from the start and he will already have.himself fired up.
Ambrose can't be his casual self and Hanlon needs to be.on top of it as well give Sparkey a heavy.challenge.early on !
A lot.for us depends on McGinn having a strong game and.showing what he has got for the whole game. Boyle iso ur potential matchwinner, he definitely can cause them problems.
Suppose from above same.as has been said a few times everyone of the 11 picked needs to be right up for it and brave on the ball.

hfc rd
24-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Laidlaw

Whittaker
Ambrose
Hanlon
Stevenson

Bartley
McGeouch

Boyle
McGinn
Stokes

Murray

Baader
24-09-2017, 01:26 PM

That's true but eventually someone will beat them at home... Pressure most definitely off!

Lancs Harp
24-09-2017, 01:33 PM
Its a funny old game as they say. Someone could have the game of their life (like Conrad at Hampden for instance), a man could get sent off early doors, you just never know. The odds are stacked on Celtic but as others have said we havent got anythng to lose and we arent a bad side.

Northernhibee
24-09-2017, 05:34 PM
Laidlaw

Whittaker Ambrose Hanlon Lewis
Bartley
Boyle McGeouch McGinn Swanson

Stokes

We'll need to have numbers in midfield and also players out wide. The pace of Boyle will be vital and I don't think we can afford to have two up front.

Sit in, let them have the ball in the final two thirds and crowd them out in the final third - really make them have to work for an inch of space where they really need it. Use the pace of Boyle to break and hope that Stokes can be clinical up front.

Sir David Gray
24-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Bribe the staff at Brussels airport to stop their plane from leaving until next Sunday.

Northernhibee
24-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Firs we go a goal up early doors after some woeful defending and let them score a header and a screamer from outside the box to let them go 2-1 up. We get a corner and score a header at the near post, get another corner in the 92nd minute, corner taker to delivvveeeeeeerrrr, header, boomph, in the corner, total scenes, hold out, 3-2, celebrations, history. Neil McCann moans and whines on the telly like an arse.

Job done.

rotherhamrob
24-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Just go mental and try and score as many goals as possible might lose 6-4 but at least it would be entertaining.

I like it.
If we just try and sit in we'll get beat anyway,might as well have a proper go.

.Sean.
24-09-2017, 06:06 PM
I'm all for a bit of realism but the attitude from some on this thread is embarassing, and if it's a reflection of the attitudes of the rest of other Scottish sides have in the run-up to a game against Celtic then the game up here really is goosed if we're all so defeatist. Apathy spreads.

We might well get trounced I'm not for a minute suggesting we'll go there and get a result but I'd like to think they'll be beaten sooner rather than later and we'll have a better chance than many other sides they'll face in the league. We're playing Celtic, not Barcelona. Stay switched on and get stuck in, **** sitting off them and showing them any respect whatsoever.

It's a bit of a cliche but I'd sooner see Hibs get beat 4 nil while at least attempting to have a go at them to begin with as opposed to keeping it as cagey and tight as possible and still getting beat by a couple anyway.

AZhibee
24-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Sign Neymar on Emergency Loan

All kidding aside, I think Hibs can pull off the win, though I would settle for a draw in Glasgow and a win at Easter Road. 4-5-1, Boyle and Swanson to counter with speed against a tired Celtic defense after a disappointing result against Anderlecht.

Nicho87
24-09-2017, 07:37 PM
Imo lustig is murder. If he is playing stick Boyle on his side and let him run at him

number9dream
25-09-2017, 07:28 AM
With Celtic playing Anderlecht just two days before, they may rest a few and if that result goes badly then the atmosphere might be a bit flat. However, if Griffiths doesn't play - Dembele comes in, McGregor for Rogic, Forrest for Roberts etc...
A midfielder for Murray does seem the most likely option with our defensive options limited. Does Swanson offer enough in terms of tracking back? McGeough is better tucked inside. Gray or Whittaker or both with Whitts pushed on and Boyle on the left?
It's a tall order but I'm going for an optimistic 2-2 in the BBC predictor - Stokes double.

SeanWilson
25-09-2017, 07:33 AM
With Celtic playing Anderlecht just two days before, they may rest a few and if that result goes badly then the atmosphere might be a bit flat. However, if Griffiths doesn't play - Dembele comes in, McGregor for Rogic, Forrest for Roberts etc...
A midfielder for Murray does seem the most likely option with our defensive options limited. Does Swanson offer enough in terms of tracking back? McGeough is better tucked inside. Gray or Whittaker or both with Whitts pushed on and Boyle on the left?
It's a tall order but I'm going for an optimistic 2-2 in the BBC predictor - Stokes double.

DMCG AND Bartley have to play for me. Bartley can do his destroyer role and McG gives us a yard and an assured outlet to feet nearly every time.

Betty Boop
25-09-2017, 07:33 AM
It'll be ten against twelve and Leigh will score a couple.
Celtc 0 Hibs 2 ( Griffith's 5min og, 50min og)

Wonder if he'll thump the Celtic badge, him being a big Hibby an all.

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-09-2017, 07:51 AM
Imo we play better when it's an open game as there's more space to attack.

**** sitting in and hoping we can sneak a result. 50 matches or whatever it is has passed and x number of teams have tried different set ups. Let's go there and play OUR normal game. We've got a number of players that can hurt celtic.

Will it work? Who knows, stats say no and if we take the game to them we could take a hiding but someone has to stand up to them and make them think

superfurryhibby
25-09-2017, 07:58 AM
I'm all for a bit of realism but the attitude from some on this thread is embarassing, and if it's a reflection of the attitudes of the rest of other Scottish sides have in the run-up to a game against Celtic then the game up here really is goosed if we're all so defeatist. Apathy spreads.

We might well get trounced I'm not for a minute suggesting we'll go there and get a result but I'd like to think they'll be beaten sooner rather than later and we'll have a better chance than many other sides they'll face in the league. We're playing Celtic, not Barcelona. Stay switched on and get stuck in, **** sitting off them and showing them any respect whatsoever.

It's a bit of a cliche but I'd sooner see Hibs get beat 4 nil while at least attempting to have a go at them to begin with as opposed to keeping it as cagey and tight as possible and still getting beat by a couple anyway.

Mostly agreeing with what you say....... aside from the first paragraph. Quite a leap from interpreting the views of a few ( tbf- I haven't read the whole thread, but haven't seen anything untoward) and extrapolating that to say that the whole Scottish game is goosed and talking about defeatism. Slight irony bypass methinks:wink:

Mr_F
25-09-2017, 08:16 AM
Try and match them man for man, similar formation & make sure we're wanting the win more than them...

Laidlaw

Gray Ambrose Hanlon Whittaker

Bartley McGinn

Boyle McGeough Swanson

Stokes

superfurryhibby
25-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Try and match them man for man, similar formation & make sure we're wanting the win more than them...

Laidlaw

Bartley McGinn

Boyle McGeough Swanson

Stokes

Stevenson must play, and I agree with Gray. The rest seem like a good shout. Whittaker misses out for me.

J-C
25-09-2017, 09:11 AM

Laidlaw

Bartley McGinn

Boyle McGeough Swanson

Stokes

So you'd drop Stevenson who's been our most consistent players since coming back into the team, I really wonder about peoples footballing ideas at times.

pacoluna
25-09-2017, 09:18 AM
So you'd drop Stevenson who's been our most consistent players since coming back into the team, I really wonder about peoples footballing ideas at times.

People are so offended if lewis doesn't make other's starting line up :greengrin:boo hoo:. Don't take it to heart.

my tip would be shoot from sight and don't let Gordon play from he back, he is prone to the odd howler whether its with his hands or feet.

Andy74
25-09-2017, 09:30 AM
Play our usual game and I think we will get chances - its whether we can take them and also keep ourselves organised enough at the back.

It is a bit of a free shot and nothing to lose really.

chrisski33
25-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Be amazing to beat them on their home turf! Doubt we will though sadly!

HFCdeb
25-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Under no circumstances play Whittaker at left back. Not just for this game, but ever.

ArmadaleHibs
25-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Hope that their excursions against anderlecht have tired them out for our game

J-C
25-09-2017, 03:28 PM
People are so offended if lewis doesn't make other's starting line up :greengrin:boo hoo:. Don't take it to heart.

my tip would be shoot from sight and don't let Gordon play from he back, he is prone to the odd howler whether its with his hands or feet.

I'm not taking it to heart just baffled at some peoples thinking re players in positions.

Not a bad shout re Gordon, I'd want us to be very strict and keep our shape, be in their faces and give them little time to play their natural game, if we sit back we'll get overran and could get a hiding, be positive and have self belief. They're good but not that good we have to be scared of them, we have some very good players too, lets concentrate on that also.

RossScott1991
25-09-2017, 09:38 PM
How do you stop Celtic? The rest of scottish football has tried and failed, this will be our first meeting with them for a few years. Not sure what our last few results against them have been? If someone handy with stats could find that one out. Hibees the team to end the run? If not this weekend then the semi! I don't think they are anything special, however the rest of the league seem to accept defeat before a ball is kicked.

What should the set up of the team be at parkhead? we won't see too much of the ball. The biggest concern i have is the Whittaker/Ambrose combination up against Sinclair/Griffiths/Dembele etc. Midfield is going to be vital.

................Laidlaw....................

Whittaker.... Ambrose.... Hanlon....Stevenson
Mcgeough..Bartley
Boyle.....Mcginn....Stokes
.......Murray.....

That would be my team, however we will need Stokes to run his arse off and help out defensively especially as celtics main threat will come down the wings.

Hopefully we can catch them cold and after a spanking in europe:aok:

superfurryhibby
25-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Ask Neil Lennon to read the 5 pager thread about six rows down from this one:na na:

Sir David Gray
25-09-2017, 10:01 PM
We've actually got a pretty decent record against them, relatively speaking.

Since we got back to the top league following our previous stint in the First Division in 98/99, we have managed to get at least a draw in at least one of our matches against them in all but two seasons since then.

Salt N Sauzee
26-09-2017, 08:57 AM
We've actually got a pretty decent record against them, relatively speaking.

Since we got back to the top league following our previous stint in the First Division in 98/99, we have managed to get at least a draw in at least one of our matches against them in all but two seasons since then.

Not what I'd call decent :hilarious

MyJo
26-09-2017, 09:00 AM
Don't give Scott Brown any space or freedom and utilise the pace in the squad for counter attacking.

Smartie
26-09-2017, 09:00 AM
Not what I'd call decent :hilarious

It's a pretty low bar.

Keith_M
26-09-2017, 09:02 AM
Kidnap the Celtc squad the night before the game.

Andy74
26-09-2017, 09:05 AM
Already a thread on this.

SirDavidsNapper
26-09-2017, 09:26 AM
This is our biggest game of the season. Hearts aren't our rivals anymore. They are an irrelevant small club and we own Sevco. Actually I feel like a yam spouting Nish like that 🤣

Nutmegged
26-09-2017, 10:41 AM
If we have any chance of getting a result and I genuinely believe it's possible then we need Stokes to be on his game and we need him in the final 3rd where he has the quality to hurt Celtic, playing him wide left and expecting him to work his nuts off helping the left back will not benefit us or Stokes, it nulifies him from the off.

We're a fresh challenge for Celtic under Rodgers, a new opponent, we'll offer something of the unknown because while Celtic will have us well scouted we have been so erratic that if we turn up and everything clicks I feel we could spring a surprise, plus we actually have a very decent standard of player and a few very recent ex Celts who might have something to prove.

theonlywayisup
26-09-2017, 10:51 AM
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?324772-You-re-the-manager-how-do-you-beat-Celtic

Maybe some merging is needed, Admins!

How do you stop Celtic? The rest of scottish football has tried and failed, this will be our first meeting with them for a few years. Not sure what our last few results against them have been? If someone handy with stats could find that one out. Hibees the team to end the run? If not this weekend then the semi! I don't think they are anything special, however the rest of the league seem to accept defeat before a ball is kicked.

What should the set up of the team be at parkhead? we won't see too much of the ball. The biggest concern i have is the Whittaker/Ambrose combination up against Sinclair/Griffiths/Dembele etc. Midfield is going to be vital.

................Laidlaw....................

Whittaker.... Ambrose.... Hanlon....Stevenson
Mcgeough..Bartley
Boyle.....Mcginn....Stokes
.......Murray.....

That would be my team, however we will need Stokes to run his arse off and help out defensively especially as celtics main threat will come down the wings.

Hopefully we can catch them cold and after a spanking in europe:aok:

DTS
26-09-2017, 11:55 AM
If McGregor or fonts were fit I'd say 3-5-2 as you can match them with 3 in the middle and keep width. So it'll need to be 4-5-1.

Laidlaw

Whittaker Ambrose hanlon Stevenson
Bartley
Boyle McGinn Slivka McGeouch
Stokes

Big L
26-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Back 4 as per. Midfield which holds the key for me, would be Boyle Slivka Bartley McGinn Barker. I would expect the two wingers to stop Celtic full backs attacking, that's where a lot of the danger comes from. I would play Murray up front and hope that together with Boyle they could reignite the goal scoring form they showed early in the season. Their pace on the break would certainly give Celtic something to think about.

Craig_HFC
26-09-2017, 12:20 PM
---------------- Laidlaw ------------------
Gray -- Ambrose - Hanlon - Stevenson
---------------- Bartley ------------------
----------- Dylan --- McGinn ------------
Boyle ---------------------------- Stokes
---------------- Murray ------------------

Mr_F
26-09-2017, 02:40 PM

I know, drop Lewis for Whittaker, Scotland international and called up again...

Sound :aok:

HFCdeb
26-09-2017, 03:57 PM

This is the one.

MyJo
26-09-2017, 04:19 PM

I'd agree but would be tempted to be swapping Murray and Stokes about and using ginges' pace to get at Lustig

danhibees1875
26-09-2017, 06:04 PM
I'd agree but would be tempted to be swapping Murray and Stokes about and using ginges' pace to get at Lustig

:agree:

Murray would presumably be able to last the pace getting up and down the line to help defensively better too - replace with Swanson towards the end if needed.

My concern though would be Stokes drifting wide and leaving no one in the middle.

essexhibee
26-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Absolute cert Griffiths will score.

Green Cabbage 7
26-09-2017, 08:58 PM
I’d play a 4-3-3 formation.

1 Laidlaw
2 Gray 4 Ambrose. 5 Hanlon. 3Stevenson

6 Bartley 8 Mcginn

10 Swanson

7 Boyle. 9 Stokes. 11 Murray

I’d have Mcginn and Bartley protecting the back line, all the forwards interchanging, with Swanson supplying the ball for a quick break up the park. The idea is Murray and Boyle pinning back there fullbacks.

sambajustice
27-09-2017, 07:34 AM
4-2-3-1 For me...

You need to try stop the supply which comes from wide. At the same time you need to watch you don't get stretched too much yo allow Rogic and Armstrong space. The less said about Griffiths the better.

Hitting them on the break seems to be the best option so we need plenty pace for that. The Rangers had a bit of success with that in the first half, got the ball to Windass who caused a few issues.

Team line up for us? Dunno! I'd say Boyle should play and McGeough. In all honesty, not sure if I'd start with Stokes...

Treadstone
27-09-2017, 08:30 AM
I liked the St Mirren tactic of pressing their back four except Boyata (terrible passer). Worked for them for an hour and only a crossbar away from a 2-0 lead early in second half.

Marcus_Hibs
27-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Don't give Scott Brown any space or freedom and utilise the pace in the squad for counter attacking.

Exactly this, Rangers stood off and gave him so much space on Saturday, he was about to control at his will.

Not too many weak links in their team, but Gordon could be perceived as being on the weaker side at the moment, so it would be worth pressing him as his passing can be quite suspect

Northern Hibby
28-09-2017, 03:47 PM
I'd play 3 at the back with Ryan Porteous it's something they won't expect and be on the back foot even before kick off :wink:

theonlywayisup
20-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Well last time we got a draw - what would you do differently this time?

I think this is a game we need to start quickly. There's no point playing with one up front. We need to make it difficult for the Celtic defence and for that reason I would play Stokes and Simon Murray, leaving Boyle on the bench.

southern hibby
20-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Pack midfield stiffile the game as much as we can then about 60 minutes in bring on either Boyle or Swanston and Murray and let them run at them as I feel they'll tire because of their midweek game.

Game could easily go to extra time and this again is where speed and width would come into its own against them as they'll tire before us.

GGTTH

lord bunberry
20-10-2017, 05:39 PM
The same as the last time. We more than matched them last time, and we should be going into the game with no fear. It’s at a neutral venue this time and the pressure is all on Celtic.

ALF TUPPER
20-10-2017, 07:44 PM

Yep. This for me too.

Stuart93
20-10-2017, 07:46 PM