PDA

View Full Version : Defending set pieces

wookie70
20-09-2017, 08:19 AM
Does anyone have any idea what tactic we employ to defend set pieces. I have watched last nights first goal for Livi a good few times and I have no idea what we are trying to do going by our starting positions. It is shocking defending from the team and it looks like SDG is the main culprit but since there is no marking whatsoever it is hard to tell. To be fair we seem to employ this no marking policy in the second goal so maybe it is not just a set piece tactic. Such a shame our defending is so amateurish because we look very good going forward but still have to work hard to get past the oppositions defence and keeper. It is so easy for other teams to score against us.

First goal. Is this a zone, If so I presume we aren't allowed to move when the ball has been played. It looks like man to man but marking loosely on the wrong side.

The second goal was shocking too. A simple shimmy by the crosser took Whittaker about 4 yards off him and then he made a truly feeble attempt to get back in to stop the cross. Whittaker was miles away from the crosser when he received the ball too making the pass very easy. Effe then headers the ball straight to their player who can get a head on it because Bartley was ball watching when the cross comes in. Effe was nowhere near his man, the scorer, at any point. These, to me, all all really basic errors and they all seem to stem from lack of effort or concentration.

heretoday
20-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Come January, Lennon wants to get some big no-nonsense guys in at the back. The present incumbents do not inspire confidence.

wookie70
20-09-2017, 08:36 AM
The biggest problem is our two no nonsense guys are both injured. Its a gamble but given the way we are defending Porteous must be in with a shout of a start soon.

JimBHibees
20-09-2017, 01:12 PM
The biggest problem is our two no nonsense guys are both injured. Its a gamble but given the way we are defending Porteous must be in with a shout of a start soon.

Yep Darren McGregor is a huge miss in particular. Like the look of Porteous in terms of attacking the ball in the air however assume Efe is preferred for experience and supposedly positioning etc.

Not sure much wrong with the initial fee kick positioning other than letting 2 Livi players get goal side in the centre of the box. :greengrin

ancient hibee
20-09-2017, 01:56 PM
We also don't attempt to mark at throw ins.

HappyAsHellas
20-09-2017, 02:45 PM
It's one of our unwritten laws - we get a throw in you MUST throw it down the line to the opposition centre half. They get a throw in then you CANNOT mark them. Hope this clears this up for you.

nellio
20-09-2017, 02:48 PM
It's one of our unwritten laws - we get a throw in you MUST throw it down the line to the opposition centre half. They get a throw in then you CANNOT mark them. Hope this clears this up for you.

We are absolutely awful at throw ins!! I've only seen one good one and that was in the cup final!

JohnMcM
20-09-2017, 02:49 PM

:thumbsup:

I'm_cabbaged
20-09-2017, 03:02 PM
We are absolutely awful at throw ins!! I've only seen one good one and that was in the cup final!

Remember we had a guy on loan, Rossa? He became an instant hero because he made a quick throw in to Deeks!!

eastcoasthibby
20-09-2017, 04:46 PM
You have highlighted last nights goals and from what saw at the time your spot on and looking at the picture there are none of our defenders.in the right position to attack the
ball and SDG is caught flat footed and behind the scorer ..I said as soon as they scored he was to blame ... the second was a as you describe a catalogue of about 4-5 errors .! Thinking about other goals we have.lost this season thwre are common traits ..which are emphasised by poor organisation and system, along with not being totally switched on and sharp enough.
I also.thpufht that from where the freekick was being taken that we were.giving thw taker too big an area toput thw ball into ..meaning.our defenders needed.to go backwards to attack.the ball which is never great at any time .. I think the line should have been the penalty spot ...not then leaving a 20 yard gap to play a cross into ...kust another viewpoint.
At the end of the day it needs to get sorted out quickly ... as teams in this league are bigger and will readily exploit this in games

Jonnyboy
20-09-2017, 05:03 PM

Slicks' at Ibrox came from a Lewis throw in

hhibs
20-09-2017, 05:14 PM

We are woeful and have been for years,just why this is has never addressed is beyond belief.

We always seem to have players with no idea what to do neither as the taker or in positioning for receiving.

Christ ,just realised this must be my annual or more,rant on this ,stretching back at least a decade !!:brickwall

Ilovehibs
20-09-2017, 07:51 PM
We are woeful and have been for years,just why this is has never addressed is beyond belief.

We always seem to have players with no idea what to do neither as the taker or in positioning for receiving.

Christ ,just realised this must be my annual or more,rant on this ,stretching back at least a decade !!:brickwall

It's worth ranting about mate. That and the inability to deal with free kicks/corners.

We are playing some really good football but we badly need to get the basics sorted out.

Captain Trips
20-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Ambrose,Hanlon and every other defender have been defending set pieces sine they started playing football in their position. I do not understand why these players of vast experience need guidance or any special instructions for dealing with a cross. I believe they are all better than the last few weeks have shown and it is hopefully simply bad form.

Defending set pieces is dynamic you can only train the basics you do not know how the other team will direct a cross so when its a corner you must mark accordingly and take responsability, we have been wanting over the last few weeks.

wookie70
20-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Ambrose,Hanlon and every other defender have been defending set pieces sine they started playing football in their position. I do not understand why these players of vast experience need guidance or any special instructions for dealing with a cross. I believe they are all better than the last few weeks have shown and it is hopefully simply bad form.

Defending set pieces is dynamic you can only train the basics you do not know how the other team will direct a cross so when its a corner you must mark accordingly and take responsability, we have been wanting over the last few weeks.

It's dynamic once the ball is played and when players make runs. I chose a still when the ball was kicked but could have easily chosen a frame or two before. If a player makes a great run or a ball is simply perfect then fair dos. There is no excuse not to be able to see the man and the ball though when the free kick is being set up. It is not dynamic at that point. Many of our defences error are really basic stuff mostly diving in and not marking. To me it is a matter on concentration or even worse just not being interested. Poor from the players but the managers need to sort it too

ancient hibee
20-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Ambrose is a strong header of the ball anywhere on the pitch except our penalty area.

edwards
20-09-2017, 08:58 PM
You have to get players who have a good understanding with each other and over the past three years our defence has been pretty decent. Mcgregor, Hanlon and Fontaine have been a god fit. Unfortunately we have both McGregor and Fontaine out and how is Gray.
I don't feel comfortable with Effe in the centre at times and feel we should either go and get cover until January if possible or Neil will have to give Porteous a chance I know he is a young player but why have him on the bench if your not going to use him.
Lennon's choice I would put Effe at right back until Gray returns, I felt happy when we signed him but it's were to play him.

beensaidbefore
20-09-2017, 09:04 PM

My old man has been saying this since circa 1987. It was called a 'shy' then so a shame that we haven't moved with the times.

J-C
20-09-2017, 09:35 PM
Ambrose is a strong header of the ball anywhere on the pitch except our penalty area.

After watching him last Saturday you could've fooled me, for a man that tall his heading was atrocious, all over the pitch.

Brightside
20-09-2017, 10:32 PM
JC mentioned on another thread that it looked like Zonal marking. Ive watched it a few times now and I'm sure its just really poor marking. Too many of them in the defensive area are just too slow to respond. Just need to attack the ball and stop making it so easy for the strikers.

Captain Trips
20-09-2017, 10:42 PM
JC mentioned on another thread that it looked like Zonal marking. Ive watched it a few times now and I'm sure its just really poor marking. Too many of them in the defensive area are just too slow to respond. Just need to attack the ball and stop making it so easy for the strikers.

Indeed some are looking to much into it. IMO it is and has been simply sloppy and poor decision making from players whom are better than that. So hopefully back to the sort of defending I expect from these guys from now on.