PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Livingston 19 September)

Jonnyboy
19-09-2017, 10:26 PM
After such a mystifying performance against Motherwell last Saturday, Neil Lennon rightly lambasted his players and wasn’t shy about doing so in public. Approaching Easter Road tonight I wondered what effect that might have on the performance and was delighted when Hibs came out of the traps fast, creating a number of early chances and playing good football in doing so. Four changes saw the return of Lewis Stevenson at left back, Ross Laidlaw in goals and both Danny Swanson and Vykintas Slivka in midfield.

The game was moving along nicely for Hibs but an Achilles Heel moment saw Livi open the scoring. A bread and butter cross into the box resulted in a free header for Alan Lithgow who gave keeper Ross Laidlaw no chance. Once again we failed to deal with a high ball into the box and I recall thinking that if Ryan Porteous had started he’d have attacked that ball and cleared it. I do feel that it’s a weakness in Efe’s game that he doesn’t win enough headers although it’s worth pointing out that it was David Gray marking the Livi man.

In stretching and somehow reaching a long diagonal ball into the box, David Gray injured himself and was replaced by Steven Whittaker. Five minutes later we were level after good work by Martin Boyle allowed Danny Swanson to pass the ball high into the Livi net with Neil Alexander rooted to the spot. It was a clever finish and Danny’s first for the club. For the next ten minutes, Hibs dominated the ball but Livi were resolute in defence with Alexander making a couple of smart saves. In a rare attack Livi once again took the lead after both Whittaker and Ambrose failed to clear the danger. Having said that, it was a stunning finish by De Vita, whose shot crashed off the underside of the bar and into the net. Laidlaw had no chance.

Although the reaction to the first goal by Livi was one of stunned silence in the home crowd, the reaction to the second was a general sound of discontent. That didn’t last long as four minutes after going behind, Hibs levelled with a smartly made and taken goal. A give and go saw Stokes take the ball from Boyle, return it and Martin smashed his shot low beyond Alexander. When the half time whistle went I couldn’t help but think it was odd we’d played a lot of really nice football and yet we were only level.

The second half was pretty much the same as the first, in terms of possession although there was one ten minute spell where the crowd got a little antsy as Livi pressed forward. Try as we might a third goal evaded us until seven minutes from time when Paul Hanlon, who’d stayed up the park after a corner was cleared, was sent clear in the box after a wonderful pass from Dylan McGeouch. As he reached the ball, Scott Pittman bundled him over and the ref pointed to the spot. It was a daft tackle as Paul was going away from goal but never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, Anthony Stokes blasted the penalty low into the net to ensure yet another visit to Hampden for Hibernian.

The players

Ross Laidlaw – no chance with either goal and dealt well with high balls to his back post.

David Gray – Was doing fine even though I’ve highlighted him as being the marker for Livi’s opener. Hurt himself stretching for a ball he had no real right to reach and I hope the damage is not too bad.

Efe – I wish he’d win more headers. For a central defender he’s not great in the air and that causes us problems defending high balls into the box.

Paul Hanlon – Solid enough display and even popped up in the left wing position at one point in the first half!

Lewis – The wee man was excellent throughout and linked very well with Stokesy down the left. His defending was first class and his forward play very good as was his final ball on most occasions. My man of the match and I hope Lenny sees it that way too.

Slivka – A very good footballer, composed in possession and careful with the ball.

Marv - Gets through a power of work in the middle of the park and did his job well, especially against Keaghan Jacobs who isn’t shy about leaving his foot in.

SJM – A mixed night from John as he provided some brilliant passes and lung bursting runs but a few too many passes went astray over the ninety minutes.

Danny Swanson – Took his goal brilliantly and on a couple of occasions should have been greedier and got a shot away, rather than trying to set the ball up for others.

Boyler – Fantastic in the first half his contribution dipped a bit for about twenty minutes in the second half though he finished strongly and was named man of the match by the sponsors.

Stokesy – Such a clever and gifted footballer and he’s a joy to watch at times. If I had a criticism it’s that he gets too involved in feuds at times. Had a running battle with Todorov, the Jambo loanee and with Craig Halkett. Stokes wasn’t booked but both Livi men were which kinda tells its own story!

Whitty – On early after David Gray’s withdrawal he looked so much more at home in the right back slot.

Dylan – Got the last twenty five minutes and basically controlled the game from the moment he arrived on the park. A fantastic footballer and I wish Lenny would play him more often.

Barker – Brought on late to help run down the clock and did just that.

Referee – Bobby Madden let the game flow and took action when he needed to. Never tries to hog the limelight, which many of his colleagues are guilty of.

Singing section – Tremendous tonight and noisy throughout. Well done to you all.

The half time keeper – thank you for making me laugh like a drain when you tried to back pedal to save a lob shot and ended up flat on your back!!

hibsboy69
19-09-2017, 10:48 PM
After such a mystifying performance against Motherwell last Saturday, Neil Lennon rightly lambasted his players and wasn’t shy about doing so in public. Approaching Easter Road tonight I wondered what effect that might have on the performance and was delighted when Hibs came out of the traps fast, creating a number of early chances and playing good football in doing so. Four changes saw the return of Lewis Stevenson at left back, Ross Laidlaw in goals and both Danny Swanson and Vykintas Slivka in midfield.

The game was moving along nicely for Hibs but an Achilles Heel moment saw Livi open the scoring. A bread and butter cross into the box resulted in a free header for Alan Lithgow who gave keeper Ross Laidlaw no chance. Once again we failed to deal with a high ball into the box and I recall thinking that if Ryan Porteous had started he’d have attacked that ball and cleared it. I do feel that it’s a weakness in Efe’s game that he doesn’t win enough headers although it’s worth pointing out that it was David Gray marking the Livi man.

In stretching and somehow reaching a long diagonal ball into the box, David Gray injured himself and was replaced by Steven Whittaker. Five minutes later we were level after good work by Martin Boyle allowed Danny Swanson to pass the ball high into the Livi net with Neil Alexander rooted to the spot. It was a clever finish and Danny’s first for the club. For the next ten minutes, Hibs dominated the ball but Livi were resolute in defence with Alexander making a couple of smart saves. In a rare attack Livi once again took the lead after both Whittaker and Ambrose failed to clear the danger. Having said that, it was a stunning finish by De Vita, whose shot crashed off the underside of the bar and into the net. Laidlaw had no chance.

Although the reaction to the first goal by Livi was one of stunned silence in the home crowd, the reaction to the second was a general sound of discontent. That didn’t last long as four minutes after going behind, Hibs levelled with a smartly made and taken goal. A give and go saw Stokes take the ball from Boyle, return it and Martin smashed his shot low beyond Alexander. When the half time whistle went I couldn’t help but think it was odd we’d played a lot of really nice football and yet we were only level.

The second half was pretty much the same as the first, in terms of possession although there was one ten minute spell where the crowd got a little antsy as Livi pressed forward. Try as we might a third goal evaded us until seven minutes from time when Paul Hanlon, who’d stayed up the park after a corner was cleared, was sent clear in the box after a wonderful pass from Dylan McGeouch. As he reached the ball, Scott Pittman bundled him over and the ref pointed to the spot. It was a daft tackle as Paul was going away from goal but never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, Anthony Stokes blasted the penalty low into the net to ensure yet another visit to Hampden for Hibernian.

The players

Ross Laidlaw – no chance with either goal and dealt well with high balls to his back post.

David Gray – Was doing fine even though I’ve highlighted him as being the marker for Livi’s opener. Hurt himself stretching for a ball he had no real right to reach and I hope the damage is not too bad.

Efe – I wish he’d win more headers. For a central defender he’s not great in the air and that causes us problems defending high balls into the box.

Paul Hanlon – Solid enough display and even popped up in the left wing position at one point in the first half!

Lewis – The wee man was excellent throughout and linked very well with Stokesy down the left. His defending was first class and his forward play very good as was his final ball on most occasions. My man of the match and I hope Lenny sees it that way too.

Slivka – A very good footballer, composed in possession and careful with the ball.

Marv - Gets through a power of work in the middle of the park and did his job well, especially against Keaghan Jacobs who isn’t shy about leaving his foot in.

SJM – A mixed night from John as he provided some brilliant passes and lung bursting runs but a few too many passes went astray over the ninety minutes.

Danny Swanson – Took his goal brilliantly and on a couple of occasions should have been greedier and got a shot away, rather than trying to set the ball up for others.

Boyler – Fantastic in the first half his contribution dipped a bit for about twenty minutes in the second half though he finished strongly and was named man of the match by the sponsors.

Stokesy – Such a clever and gifted footballer and he’s a joy to watch at times. If I had a criticism it’s that he gets too involved in feuds at times. Had a running battle with Todorov, the Jambo loanee and with Craig Halkett. Stokes wasn’t booked but both Livi men were which kinda tells its own story!

Whitty – On early after David Gray’s withdrawal he looked so much more at home in the right back slot.

Dylan – Got the last twenty five minutes and basically controlled the game from the moment he arrived on the park. A fantastic footballer and I wish Lenny would play him more often.

Referee – Bobby Madden let the game flow and took action when he needed to. Never tries to hog the limelight, which many of his colleagues are guilty of.

Singing section – Tremendous tonight and noisy throughout. Well done to you all.

The half time keeper – thank you for making me laugh like a drain when you tried to back pedal to save a lob shot and ended up flat on your back!!

Great summary, agree with it all :agree::aok:

ehf
19-09-2017, 11:21 PM
Great summary, agree with it all :agree::aok:

Also agree with it all, save that I thought Slivka was poor tonight.

Stokes' dinked return to Boyle for the second goal was a thing of wonder.

The singing section was superb tonight.

Vini1875
19-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Slivka is a good player, but was not up for it at all tonight. To me he just did not seem interested.

snooky
20-09-2017, 12:06 AM

The players

You'll never be a bona fide journalist Jonnyboy as you've described it exactly as it was. :greengrin
Great and accurate report :aok:

KWJ
20-09-2017, 12:18 AM
Enjoying these chief. Hope you save them and keep them together for your 2017/18 keepsake.

fulshie
20-09-2017, 12:29 AM

The players

The half time keeper – thank you for making me laugh like a drain when you tried to back pedal to save a lob shot and ended up flat on your back!!Glad you said McGeoch controlled the game when he came on. he would have controlled the game from the start if selected. I notice though, you have given all a mention apart from Lennon. My opinion on his selection...playing a championship side that's just been promoted and playing Bartley (defensive midfielder) in front of a creative midfielder like McGeoch is poor. The crowds reaction when he came on said it all. Slivka (who was taken off for McGeoch) is a yard if not two off the pace and yet he also got nod in front of McGeoch. Can I also say that, in Lennons lamblasting of the players after the Motherwell game, McGeoch is not guilty but, does not start tonight. I'm beginning to wonder about Lennons team selections to be honest.

greenlex
20-09-2017, 12:31 AM
Slivka was class and Stevenson my Motm too.

Forza Fred
20-09-2017, 01:40 AM
Opinions eh....

Agree with vast majority of John's summary.

For me though, Stokes was MOM....maybe didn't score from open play, but his work in and around the box tonight was superb I thought..worked as hard as I've seen him, and he refused to be bullied.

Jones28
20-09-2017, 03:43 AM
These are great JB, much appreciated.

ano hibby
20-09-2017, 06:12 AM
Excellent summary thanks for taking the time to do so. I also saw Slivkas contribution less positively.

Anyone know where we are with bookings heading into the semi?
McGinn (rightly) booked last night.

danhibees1875
20-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the summary. Couldn't make the game last night, so a worthwhile read! :aok:

Arch Stanton
20-09-2017, 09:32 AM
Another good read - thanks.

I wonder if we will get more game time from DM by making him a regular sub - less time on the treatment table I mean. Not that I can think of a medical reason for saying this. :greengrin

Iggy Pope
20-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Delighted that you take the time to compile these informative summaries. If a game is missed this tells the reader much more than a thousand 'player rating' threads ever will.

Smartie
20-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Glad you said McGeoch controlled the game when he came on. he would have controlled the game from the start if selected. I notice though, you have given all a mention apart from Lennon. My opinion on his selection...playing a championship side that's just been promoted and playing Bartley (defensive midfielder) in front of a creative midfielder like McGeoch is poor. The crowds reaction when he came on said it all. Slivka (who was taken off for McGeoch) is a yard if not two off the pace and yet he also got nod in front of McGeoch. Can I also say that, in Lennons lamblasting of the players after the Motherwell game, McGeoch is not guilty but, does not start tonight. I'm beginning to wonder about Lennons team selections to be honest.

I am too.

There are nuances and bits and pieces that are subject to opinion, but there are sometimes selection decisions that are staring him in the face that he doesn't seem to notice immediately, but when he takes action it has the desired effect.

Whittaker had to be dropped from the LB position for Stevenson - immediate improvement.

McGeouch must be restored to the starting lineup. As soon as he went on we looked a much better team.

For me, Ambrose has to be dropped. He is a liability and is at the heart of a defence that is chucking in goals. In all my time watching Hibs, I've never thought the defence is the problem - we've been relegated twice because of a lack of goals at the other end. We're normally ok defensively (even the two times I've seen us relegated, our defence was almost ok). This defence is a shambles, it looks like we could lose a goal at any given moment. Every corner, and every free-kick within 40 yards of our goal gives me the fear. Ambrose is at the heart of it all, he looks like the weakest link in a defence that has at times been rock solid in recent years.

There are moot points such as the role of Swanson, whether Slivka should start, whether Murray is a first pick, Gray or Whittaker or the exact formation that I can understand any little tweak that occurs.

But I have a wee bit of concern at his failure to address matters that seem to be staring him in the face.

I love Lennon btw. I think he's put together a cracking squad of players. We're not far from getting it right and being a very good side.

pacoluna
20-09-2017, 11:30 AM
I am too.

There are nuances and bits and pieces that are subject to opinion, but there are sometimes selection decisions that are staring him in the face that he doesn't seem to notice immediately, but when he takes action it has the desired effect.

Whittaker had to be dropped from the LB position for Stevenson - immediate improvement.

McGeouch must be restored to the starting lineup. As soon as he went on we looked a much better team.

For me, Ambrose has to be dropped. He is a liability and is at the heart of a defence that is chucking in goals. In all my time watching Hibs, I've never thought the defence is the problem - we've been relegated twice because of a lack of goals at the other end. We're normally ok defensively (even the two times I've seen us relegated, our defence was almost ok). This defence is a shambles, it looks like we could lose a goal at any given moment. Every corner, and every free-kick within 40 yards of our goal gives me the fear. Ambrose is at the heart of it all, he looks like the weakest link in a defence that has at times been rock solid in recent years.

There are moot points such as the role of Swanson, whether Slivka should start, whether Murray is a first pick, Gray or Whittaker or the exact formation that I can understand any little tweak that occurs.

But I have a wee bit of concern at his failure to address matters that seem to be staring him in the face.

I love Lennon btw. I think he's put together a cracking squad of players. We're not far from getting it right and being a very good side.

Yeah it's all Effe's fault:rolleyes:

Ilovehibs
20-09-2017, 11:34 AM
I am too.

Totally agree with you.

Liberal Hibby
20-09-2017, 11:40 AM
For me, Ambrose has to be dropped.

I'm not sure playing with just one centre back is going to help tighten things up at the back.

Seveno
20-09-2017, 11:56 AM
Good summary, as usual, JB.

i loved some of the interplay between Stokes, Swanson and Boyle in the first half and generally the speed that Hibs moved the ball.

Lewis had a great game and links so well with Stokes. They have a great understanding and Lewis put in some dangerous balls.

We really need a fully fit Darren back asap. Efe is not a CB.

Smartie
20-09-2017, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure playing with just one centre back is going to help tighten things up at the back.

Ryan Porteous is a talented young centre-back who has looked good every time I have seen him and is part of our first team squad.

He deserves a chance.

Efe is making the mistakes you would expect an inexperienced centre half to make, and has been shaky since the beginning of the season (although I thought he was superb last season).

I think he needs a wee time out, and I'm not convinced that when he returns he can play in a formation that doesn't involve 3 centre-backs. We need to cover his lapses in possession at the back and we need more aerial quality to defend high balls into our box.