PDA

View Full Version : The Captain's job

houstonhibbee
19-09-2017, 02:17 AM
Part of being a good captain is to be the leader on the park. Theres a limit to how much influence the manager can have once the game is in play. I though the managers concern at the lack of leaders was very valid and its up to the captain to rally the players when we're up against it and not let the heads go down. Cant remember the last time I saw a Hibs captain like that. Maybe McPake......

heretoday
19-09-2017, 04:17 AM
Part of being a good captain is to be the leader on the park. Theres a limit to how much influence the manager can have once the game is in play. I though the managers concern at the lack of leaders was very valid and its up to the captain to rally the players when we're up against it and not let the heads go down. Cant remember the last time I saw a Hibs captain like that. Maybe McPake......
Good point.

BlackSheep
19-09-2017, 05:49 AM
I have mentioned it a few times last season in regard to Gray, I find he shys away from the game when he or the team are not playing well... which is not what you want in a captain at all. I felt it was a breath of fresh air when Whittaker replaced him for a few matches as I hoped it would give him a much needed kick up the backside from a motivational point of view, but after the last couple of games I don't think it's had the desired effect. Lennon'a word about this at the weekend say to me that a change in captain could be in the cards.... a hard decision due to the fact that so many fans worship Gray for his cup winning goal.

matty_f
19-09-2017, 05:55 AM
Biggest part of the Captain's job is walking up the stairs to collect the cup. David Gray did this fantastically well. :greengrin

JimBHibees
19-09-2017, 06:20 AM
Biggest part of the Captain's job is walking up the stairs to collect the cup. David Gray did this fantastically well. :greengrin

After scoring the winning goal. :thumbsup:

Deansy
19-09-2017, 06:24 AM

Bring back Rob Jones !!

The Spaceman
19-09-2017, 06:46 AM
Sir David Gray gave us a textbook Captain's performance on 21.05.2016 :not worth

BlackSheep
19-09-2017, 06:47 AM
2 posts that immediately illustrate the difficulties Lennon will face if he strips Gray of the captaincy.

sleeping giant
19-09-2017, 06:47 AM
Real captains win Scottish cups.

BlackSheep
19-09-2017, 06:59 AM
🙈

Stuart93
19-09-2017, 07:09 AM
Lennon said it himself on hibs tv after the game, we don't have a leader on the park, wish we had someone of the lennon mould

BlackSheep
19-09-2017, 08:01 AM
All too often when the going gets tough there doesn't seem to be anyone dragging the boys back to a positive performance... our heads drop for too long before we begin to play well again... most of the time too little too late. I find myself clinging to edge of my seat for the last 10 mins of a match too often... when they mistake are usually made early in the second half, or at least with enough time for them to be rectified.

A captain who leads the battle cry at these times is what we need, not one whose head drops just as much as the others.

Lennon has instilled a great fighting mentality in the team but we still show signs of lost confidence at times.

WeeRussell
19-09-2017, 08:07 AM
There's also only so much a captain can do in the park to lift others around them and make them take responsibility for their performances.

SChibs
19-09-2017, 08:11 AM
I think mcginn would be a good captain. Drives us forward and can motivate the team

Diclonius
19-09-2017, 08:15 AM
A week ago we had about 3-4 players who were "captain material". It's amazing how one game apparently turns half the squad *****.

Smartie
19-09-2017, 08:19 AM
I totally disagree with this captain and lack of leadership chat.

We've had a couple of bad games.

The goals we lost were shockers, if individuals do their jobs then we don't lose the goals we did, we don't drop the points we did.

What David Gray (or anyone else for that matter) shouts or doesn't shout has nothing to do with this.

JimBHibees
19-09-2017, 08:30 AM
A week ago we had about 3-4 players who were "captain material". It's amazing how one game apparently turns half the squad *****.

Agree huge over reaction. Saw clearly Gray bolloking Efe in the first half for not attacking the ball and letting it bounce.

Danderhall Hibs
19-09-2017, 08:42 AM
I think some folk think a captain should be running about bawling and shouting at everyone. I prefer a captain who speaks when necessary, influences the ref and leads by example.

Future17
19-09-2017, 08:45 AM
The person wearing the armband is responsible for implementing the manager's formation, tactics and strategy during the game. They are not responsible for motivating their team mates.

Leaders are leaders and the presence or absence of an armband is immaterial to how they'll conduct themselves on the pitch and the effect they'll have on their team mates.

I think Lennon's comments were a way of asking the players to take a look at themselves and consider how they can influence the game in addition to their own performance.

Smartie
19-09-2017, 08:47 AM
I think some folk think a captain should be running about bawling and shouting at everyone. I prefer a captain who speaks when necessary, influences the ref and leads by example.

Yes, and I think we have exactly that.

It's not just about clapping your hands and shouting "come on".

I actually do think we miss Darren McGregor in the leadership department. He doesn't need to have an armband to organise the defence, stick his body on the line, do the right thing and lead by example. Too many players seemed to take Efe's lead on Saturday, and it wasn't't a good one.

Smartie
19-09-2017, 08:49 AM
The person wearing the armband is responsible for implementing the manager's formation, tactics and strategy during the game. They are not responsible for motivating their team mates.

Leaders are leaders and the presence or absence of an armband is immaterial to how they'll conduct themselves on the pitch and the effect they'll have on their team mates.

I think Lennon's comments were a way of asking the players to take a look at themselves and consider how they can influence the game in addition to their own performance.

It was quite interesting to see that during the games, whenever Lennon wants to shake it up (which he seems to do quite regularly) then it is always John McGinn he speaks to.

Danderhall Hibs
19-09-2017, 08:52 AM
It was quite interesting to see that during the games, whenever Lennon wants to shake it up (which he seems to do quite regularly) then it is always John McGinn he speaks to.

I noticed that as well a maybe just giving him more responsibility. I think a few around me thought he was the one being dubbed the first time.

ancient hibee
19-09-2017, 11:30 AM
In my opinion we have nobody who takes charge of a game.This has been evident since we were relegated.

Danderhall Hibs
19-09-2017, 02:52 PM
In my opinion we have nobody who takes charge of a game.This has been evident since we were relegated.

I disagree - before relegation yes but since then Gray, McGregot and Bartley among others have all shown signs of leadership.

Onion
19-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Not convinced we need one leader, we need players with character. We lost more than a goal scorer when JC left and now need the likes of JMG, Stokes, MCGregor, Gray to all step up and take responsibility for driving the team on.

gando
19-09-2017, 03:47 PM
There should be 11 captains on the pitch

eastcoasthibby
19-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Sir David Gray gave us a textbook Captain's performance on 21.05.2016 :not worth

Absolutely fantastic on the day and never to be forgotten , but how long do you live of that, in terms of your day job thereafter ?

emerald green
19-09-2017, 04:37 PM
All the really great teams from the past have had "leaders" all over the park. Players with a never say die winning mentality. Not just one guy who happens to be the team captain.

mjh
19-09-2017, 04:44 PM
I'm not convinced about NL calling for leadership on the park. He takes on the role of 'captain' from the techinical area with his constant directions to the team. Players would only become confused (more confused) if we had an on field captain offering an alternative source of leadership and direction.
I don't believe his style would change in the slightest should a real leader come to the fore on the park - it's in his DNA

Albanian Hibs
19-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Absolutely fantastic on the day and never to be forgotten , but how long do you live of that, in terms of your day job thereafter ?

Forever.