PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy O'Rourke's birthday 18September

Forza Fred
18-09-2017, 12:26 AM
It's the 18th over here, so we can't not celebrate Jimmy's birthday.

Those of us around when it was Jimmy's 19th birthday, all those years ago, certainly had cause to celebrate then too as he scored a double against Hertz in a 4-0 victory, before he jumped in his car and drove to Blackpool to join his pals for the September weekend!

A Hibs legend, and a wonderful ambassador over the years for Hibernian FC.

Happy birthday Jimmy:cheers::cheers:

cabbageandribs1875
18-09-2017, 12:28 AM
:singing: jimmy, jimmy o'rourke
everyone knows his name

happy birthday jimmy

monktonharp
18-09-2017, 12:39 AM
my favourite, after Pat. Only because Paddy's birthday was on the 13th, same as mine:wink: broke my heart in a way, when he went to saint johnstone and scored against us in his first game. A bit like Paddy going to Celtic! 2 absolute legends of Hibernian.

Tom Hart RIP
18-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Lawrie, Pat and Jimmy are my three all time Hibs legends. All three lived the dream of going from the terracing to the pitch and playing virtually all their career with Hibs.
Happy Birthday

Liam978
18-09-2017, 11:36 AM
It's the 18th over here, so we can't not celebrate Jimmy's birthday.

Those of us around when it was Jimmy's 19th birthday, all those years ago, certainly had cause to celebrate then too as he scored a double against Hertz in a 4-0 victory, before he jumped in his car and drove to Blackpool to join his pals for the September weekend!

A Hibs legend, and a wonderful ambassador over the years for Hibernian FC.

Happy birthday Jimmy:cheers::cheers:

To the Honourary president of St Giles happy birthday Jimmy from all at the thee branch in the association GGTTH.

Lucius Apuleius
18-09-2017, 11:49 AM
I'm hearing Jimmy is not keeping too well. Anybody substantiate this?

hibeerealist
18-09-2017, 12:14 PM
To the Honourary president of St Giles happy birthday Jimmy from all at the thee branch in the association GGTTH.

Happy Birthday Jimmy!

One of the best ever to wear the green.

If reports hat you are no keeping well are true Jimmy, there a may thousands of us Hibby's wishing you speedy recovery.

Jimmy, Jimmy O'Rourke EVERYONE knows his name

brog
18-09-2017, 03:46 PM

Pleased to say Jimmy's fine, I spoke with him last week. Happy Birthday Jimmy!

Roxyhibee
18-09-2017, 04:06 PM
True Hibs legend. Simple as.

Loved watching him as a player - so positive and skilful and wore the jersey bursting with pride.

I was down near the front of the cave for the 6-1 Lisbon game and one of their defenders at 4 or
5-1 tried to go in heavy on him around the touch line - he missed Jimmy who had overrun to the wall and the ball rolled over for a goal kick. On the way back to the pitch, Jimmy did a little mock shuffle dance pretend to side heel the defender on the back of the head who was still sprawled on the ground. Hilarious. Never forgot that.

Happy birthday Jimmy ORourke and thanks from me and my late dad for all the wonderful memories you gave us.

bigwheel
18-09-2017, 04:08 PM
[emoji445]everyone knows his name...[emoji445]. Loved him as a player. Top top quality

Deansy
18-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Just the mention of his name and the smile's back on my face at the memory of meeting Jimmy in the Hibs-club one night and I asked him what it was like playing Hearts -

'Hertz ?? (in a really dismissive tone !) we beat them that often we had to stop it in case we got telt just to keep them' !!

Have a very, very Happy Birthday Jimmy and I hope you have many, many more !

IWasThere2016
18-09-2017, 04:14 PM
my favourite, after Pat. Only because Paddy's birthday was on the 13th, same as mine:wink: broke my heart in a way, when he went to saint johnstone and scored against us in his first game. A bit like Paddy going to Celtic! 2 absolute legends of Hibernian.

Same. I have Sauzee at #3

Happy Birthday JO'R :thumbsup:

The Pointer
18-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Happy birthday to one of the all time great Hibees!

Especially remember the European nights (always a Wednesday at 7:30) at a very different ER getting the bus down from Buckstone.

Stantons Angel
18-09-2017, 04:31 PM
A very Hibby Birthday Jimmy, thanks for the many memories!

brog
18-09-2017, 05:28 PM
True Hibs legend. Simple as.

Loved watching him as a player - so positive and skilful and wore the jersey bursting with pride.

I was down near the front of the cave for the 6-1 Lisbon game and one of their defenders at 4 or
5-1 tried to go in heavy on him around the touch line - he missed Jimmy who had overrun to the wall and the ball rolled over for a goal kick. On the way back to the pitch, Jimmy did a little mock shuffle dance pretend to side heel the defender on the back of the head who was still sprawled on the ground. Hilarious. Never forgot that.

Happy birthday Jimmy ORourke and thanks from me and my late dad for all the wonderful memories you gave us.

My local bar owner in Portugal is a mad Sporting fan. I gave him a copy of the report from the 6-1 game along with a message from Jimmy. He says Jimmy is barred! However the local restaurateur, a Benfica fan, says Jimmy can eat for free next visit!

Roxyhibee
18-09-2017, 06:28 PM
My local bar owner in Portugal is a mad Sporting fan. I gave him a copy of the report from the 6-1 game along with a message from Jimmy. He says Jimmy is barred! However the local restaurateur, a Benfica fan, says Jimmy can eat for free next visit!

Brilliant.! What a tribute to Jimmy. He was just such a buzzing player who you would hate to have as an opponent.

In the 0-7 game, you can see him still keeping the hassling pace high, wanting every tiny decision, even at 5 or 6-0, playing like it was 0-0 with 2 minutes to go.! Incredible winners attitude we don't see enough of today..

eastcoasthibby
18-09-2017, 07:46 PM
loved watching Jimmy O'Rourke when I starting watching Hibs cracking player amidst a talented.team ....happy birthday Jimmy

Mick O'Rourke
18-09-2017, 08:19 PM
James is fine.
Just some mobility issues.
He cannae get in the 6 yard box as quick as he used to!!

Many players of his era suffer mobility problems now.
Some bad practice with players injuries and treatment back then.

But then ....

Jimmy isnae twenty or Zorro anymore!

Still as grumpy,though !

May he have many more birthdays.

brog
18-09-2017, 08:32 PM
James is fine.
Just some mobility issues.
He cannae get in the 6 yard box as quick as he used to!!

Many players of his era suffer mobility problems now.
Some bad practice with players injuries and treatment back then.

But then ....

Jimmy isnae twenty or Zorro anymore!

Still as grumpy,though !

May he have many more birthdays.

I believe he's on the Lancashire Riviera today Mick! He'll have no mobility issues getting to the bar with those prices!

Mick O'Rourke
18-09-2017, 08:37 PM
I believe he's on the Lancashire Riviera today Mick! He'll have no mobility issues getting to the bar with those prices!

As long as some one else is paying;-)

And i know a few Hibernians who are there for this September weekend.
So if they have bumped into James, it will have been paper hats and trumpets !

Blackpool Ya Bass!

Jonnyboy
18-09-2017, 08:41 PM
There was a cracking Jimmy story in the book that covered Hibs' North American tour. Apparently, given some time off in San Francisco a group of players went sightseeing and found themselves near Alcatraz. Just at that minute, a bus full of prisoners bound for the jail drove past. Jimmy stared intently at the windows and when asked why, he replied "Just seeing if there's anybody fae Clermiston on it" :faf:

Jimmy was always a big favourite of mine and I wish him well for his birthday

Mick O'Rourke
18-09-2017, 08:45 PM
There was a cracking Jimmy story in the book that covered Hibs' North American tour. Apparently, given some time off in San Francisco a group of players went sightseeing and found themselves near Alcatraz. Just at that minute, a bus full of prisoners bound for the jail drove past. Jimmy stared intently at the windows and when asked why, he replied "Just seeing if there's anybody fae Clermiston on it" :faf:

Thats true
He did say that!

He was, of course, talking about the Clermiston Intellects.

Alcatraz could not have contained us !!

Ye need tae ask about the day Jimmy and Pat were invited to a ranch(owned by a Scots ex pat) for dinner during that tour.
Am saying nought !!

bigwheel
18-09-2017, 08:45 PM

[emoji106][emoji23]great little story - thanks for sharing

Deansy
18-09-2017, 08:50 PM
Thats true

He wiz talking about the Clermiston Intellects

Alcatraz could not have contained us !!

Ye need tae ask about the day Jimmy and Pat were invited to a ranch(owned by a Scots ex pat) for dinner (in the US tour)
Am saying nought !!

Aw c'mon - you HAVE to now ???

Mick O'Rourke
18-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Aw c'mon - you HAVE to now ???

Naw .....it will embarrass one of them
It was a big Dallas type do
All the family round the big table

A bit like the Waltons sunday dinner event.
Some one....

i wont mention who, fell asleep with the heat and booze .. at the dinner table !!
Started to fart and snore.

I will leave it there !

This is about Jimmy's Birthday after all;-)

And he will love this thread when he views it.
Its great that Hibernians young and old have so much affection for the "wee man"

Glory !! Glory !!

gbhibby
18-09-2017, 09:00 PM
I think jimmy is still the only player to score back to back hat tricks against two different teams in European football competitions.

Billy Whizz
18-09-2017, 09:04 PM
I think jimmy is still the only player to score back to back hat tricks against two different teams in European football competitions.

That's a fantastic achievement. Wonder what he'd be worth in today's market

Mick O'Rourke
18-09-2017, 09:06 PM

Yes, i think you are correct ,Sporting Lisbon and FC Besa(Albania)

Brog on here is the man for the stats.
He knows Jimmy's"legend" at ER better than most.
And Forza Fred does too.
They are old pals of Jimmy's going back centuries !!
But i am sure they will agree with me that Jimmy scored a few hat tricks in that same season.

And had actually scored 28 or so goals before the 0-7 game in January.

Think on that stat nowadays?

And never got a Scotland cap !!!
Disgrace !

Mick O'Rourke
18-09-2017, 09:30 PM

Yes
A good Grassmarket boy was James.
I too went on the St Giles bus as a wee boy when it left from "The Market" for away games.

Jimmy McClory i remember from back then,also Bernie Glancy from the West Port was the bus convener .
Bernie used to say to the boys in the back seats.

"Nae rebel songs,now -)

Alan Lugton will mind that !!

Dublin in the Green !!

Forza Fred
18-09-2017, 10:51 PM
Yes, i think you are correct ,Sporting Lisbon and FC Besa(Albania)

And Forza Fred does too.
But i am sure they will agree with me that Jimmy scored a few hat tricks in that same season.

Disgrace !

Going back centuries!?

Only a slight exaggeration there....but remember well being at his debut game against Utrecht, all those years ago.

Interesting that when he scored that double on his birthday against Hertz in 1965he was off to Blackpool and yesterday he chose to be in Blackpool for this birthday...he obviously likes Blackpool!

And explains whynaebody was answering his home phone yesterday too!

Alfiembra
18-09-2017, 11:27 PM
Jimmy and Pat I canny split them loved them both and was devastated when they left Hibs.

I always remember a goal Jimmy scored against Aberdeen I think in front of the cow shed. The pitch was soaking and a mud bath in front of the goals, can't remember if it was a header or a shot but the ball stuck in a puddle just in front of the goal line, and it was like slow motion watching the ball creep across the line. Even the players seemed like statues watching it go in.

Never had the pleasure of meeting you Jimmy but many happy returns to you.

snooky
18-09-2017, 11:46 PM
Had the pleasure of getting my photo taken with Jimmy on the hallowed turf many years ago.
James and Pat are forever the heartbeat of Hibernian
(See what I did there? :wink:)

Happy birthday, 19369

brog
19-09-2017, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=Mick O'Rourke;5171994]Yes, i think you are correct ,Sporting Lisbon and FC Besa(Albania)

And Forza Fred does too.

Spot on Mick!! Jimmy's 2nd goal in the 7-0 game was his 32nd of the season! He had scored his 6th hat trick that season against Ayr 2 weeks earlier. Alan G's 2nd goal was his 29th of the season & Arthur's 2nd was his 18th. To round off the goalscorers on that wonderful day appropriately, Crops superb goal was his 7th of the season!! 86 goals already from our 4 scorers on 1/1/73, probably very hard for the younger generation to even comprehend!

Mick O'Rourke
19-09-2017, 11:12 AM
A couple of Jimmy stories.
Many of you older supporters will remember that Jimmy, like a lot of other footballers of his era went in to the pub game after hanging their boots up.
Jimmy famously ran the Corstorphine Inn for 10 years or so.
Before he retired, he worked for a number of years in a bookies shop on Gorgie Road
(nr McLeod Street)
So even in his fifties he was still "fleecing the Jambos"
During that period two of his favourite pubs were Dickens Bar on Dalry Road and Campbells( Tynie Arms) McLeod Street
Some good Hibernians in both bars ,though generally thought of as "Jambo pubs"

Two pub stories (some here will know these)

Years after the Seven Zero game,Jimmy was in a bar when a Jambo started chatting away
"Jimmy ,see the 7-0 game"
"Aye, what about it "
"Aw, just saying like, that hertz could have been two up in the first 5 minutes"
Ach well, replied Jimmy, it would have been 7-2 then !

Another time a guy in a pub approached him saying...

"Ah ken your face,dinnae tell me, al get it !
Long pause,, Jimmy looking at the guy..... waiting !
Goat it,the guy says !!
Did you no "used to be" Jimmy O'Rourke that played wae the Hibs !