PDA

View Full Version : Is SOL the best football anthem in Britain?

18Hibee75
17-09-2017, 02:05 PM
After seeing a post on Facebook from an English football page that had sunshine on leith as their number one football anthem in Britain, unbiased opinions please but does anyone disagree with that and rate YNWA higher? Brilliant that we have a song like sol which is known by a lot of football fans all round Britain.

Dalianwanda
17-09-2017, 02:09 PM
After seeing a post on Facebook from an English football page that had sunshine on leith as their number one football anthem in Britain, unbiased opinions please but does anyone disagree with that and rate YNWA higher? Brilliant that we have a song like sol which is known by a lot of football fans all round Britain.

Well it would certainly be my favorite..Its all subjective & the emotional attachment will depend person to person. I cant think of a song thats got more connection to a team, location & love of another than SOL though.

Keith_M
17-09-2017, 02:10 PM
No.

It's definitely this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sPoPxvDXOM) one.

HibsNutter
17-09-2017, 02:14 PM
The neutrals always seem to say so, yes it is.

Albanian Hibs
17-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Yes it is the best.

OxoHibby
17-09-2017, 02:25 PM

Quite simply yes

Haymaker
17-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Yes.

lyonhibs
17-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Yes. It's not even up for debate IMO

Lancs Harp
17-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Gone off it if the English think its the best. :wink:

green day
17-09-2017, 02:32 PM
A love song written by two Hibs fans referencing beautifully the area we identify as home.

I couldn't sing it properly at Hampden as I was crying like a baby. There's no other anthems that have such an emotional tug with club and fans.

It will never be topped.

Onion
17-09-2017, 02:36 PM
No question THE best anthem in football. If one of the media lovin' clubs had it, they'd be wetting themselves over it.

The best bit is the words and who wrote it means there's no chance of other clubs adopting it. Very few songs can claim that. Our's forever :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
17-09-2017, 02:39 PM
SOL Is definitely the best football club anthem in the world , It's not even close

Scouse Hibee
17-09-2017, 02:46 PM

Emotionally for me it will never top YNWA but I can see why SOL has been rated the best in Britain and can't really disagree.

Vini1875
17-09-2017, 02:56 PM
As anthems go the debate is really only between YNWA and SOL. Growing up in the 70s everyone seemed to sing YNWA, but it was Liverpool's song and now celtc also. We had a quicker version with clapping that I liked. However SOL is ours, uniquely and quintessentially Hibernian. SOL is the best because it emotionally attachs the club, team and fans as one, it expresses the pain of loss and suffering into the triumph of finally winning and joy, just like football does for many long suffering fans experience.

Nicho87
17-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Must be you'll never walk alone because the best fans in the world sing it. Special fans, my arse

Scott Allan Key
17-09-2017, 03:23 PM
As anthems go the debate is really only between YNWA and SOL. Growing up in the 70s everyone seemed to sing YNWA, but it was Liverpool's song and now celtc also. We had a quicker version with clapping that I liked. However SOL is ours, uniquely and quintessentially Hibernian. SOL is the best because it emotionally attachs the club, team and fans as one, it expresses the pain of loss and suffering into the triumph of finally winning and joy, just like football does for many long suffering fans experience.

It's not Celtic's song though, it is Liverpool's, as is the Poznan dance, Poznan's AFAIK. Hubcaps, songbooks, colours, they love a steal.

El Gubbz
17-09-2017, 03:26 PM
How long until Celtc adopt it?

iwasthere1972
17-09-2017, 03:37 PM
No.

It's definitely this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sPoPxvDXOM) one.

:fishin:

iwasthere1972
17-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Without a shadow of a doubt.

I'm forever blowing bubbles. What the hell is that all about? Was it written by Michael Jackson?

AZhibee
17-09-2017, 04:04 PM
No!

Best in world!!!!!!

Sir David Gray
17-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Yes it's not even up for discussion as far as I'm concerned.

When it's sung at the right moments, there is no better football anthem in the world. The rendition at Hampden on 21.05.16 is literally the best thing I've ever heard.

YNWA doesn't even come close IMO.

Deeds
17-09-2017, 04:17 PM
How long before Celtic change the name of the area around their ground to Leith?

The Harp
17-09-2017, 04:43 PM
So glad it's ours. Without a doubt the best football anthem anywhere. Whether it's sung in times of celebration, expectation or defiance - nothing comes close.

Northernhibee
17-09-2017, 05:04 PM
I honestly think that the rendition of SOL after the replay in our cup year was the catalyst for the run to the final. That was spectacular that night and I can't help but think in hindsight that night made you feel that something out of the norm was coming. It was spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIvtEeJZK4&t=111s

Lewis taking his lap of honour to SOL in his testimonial was a properly emotional moment as well. No player has deserved it as much as he did.

Sir David Gray
17-09-2017, 05:09 PM
I honestly think that the rendition of SOL after the replay in our cup year was the catalyst for the run to the final. That was spectacular that night and I can't help but think in hindsight that night made you feel that something out of the norm was coming. It was spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIvtEeJZK4&t=111s

Lewis taking his lap of honour to SOL in his testimonial was a properly emotional moment as well. No player has deserved it as much as he did.

Goosebumps.

Hibernia&Alba
17-09-2017, 05:18 PM
The big team will be seething. What about the masterpiece that is Hearts, Hearts, glorious Hearts...... :greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
17-09-2017, 05:39 PM
The big team will be seething. What about the masterpiece that is Hearts, Hearts, glorious Hearts...... :greengrin

I know different words to this...

Mr White
17-09-2017, 05:45 PM

Not forgetting their "Europe"song too. The Proclaimers are probably on the verge of splitting up over constantly blaming each other for the failure to come up with a song that rhymes "Europe" with "spew up" before the jumbos managed it.

jacomo
17-09-2017, 05:48 PM
What I like about SoL is that we don't wheel it out every week.

The contrived sentimentality at Anfield every home game would really get on my t!ts.

Lancs Harp
17-09-2017, 05:52 PM

The contrived sentimentality at Anfield every home game would really get on my t!ts.

I think thats a bit unfair about Anfield and lets face it most teams would churn out their anthem every game but I do get the giste of what you are saying, it keeps it very special, its actually very emotional (not saying YNWA isnt for Liverpool fans). My brother comes up for a few Hibs matches with me as and when he can, normally gets to 2/3/4 matches a season but hes never actualy heard SOL sung at a match!!

GreenNWhiteArmy
17-09-2017, 05:55 PM
For me as a hibs fan it's the best footballing song in the world.

From a neutral perspective though I've no idea where it ranks as (outwith the mainstream clubs in the UK) I know very little of other clubs and their anthems from around the world.

Absolute tune it is but

Smartie
17-09-2017, 06:06 PM
Whenever I hear the Liverpool fans belting out YNWA it gives me goosebumps.

It's an emotional song and when you consider some of the stuff Liverpool as a club and a support have been through, it is the only song of another club that affects me in any way.

I f*****g hate that Celtic have nicked it and it annoys me intensely when they sing it. There is no history, no emotional attachment, nothing. It' embarrassing that a big club who should be able to have something emotional or meaningful of their own can't or won't.

It's hard to comment on SoL. Of course we're all going to love it.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
17-09-2017, 06:19 PM
No!

Best in world!!!!!!

:agree: Indeed!

heretoday
17-09-2017, 06:41 PM
Lots of good club anthems. SoL is certainly one of the best although it is comparatively new.

West Ham - I'm forever blowing bubbles (1920s) I heard that strike up at the Boleyn Ground in 1964 and it was quite moving
Birmingham City - Keep right on to the end of the road (1956)
Liverpool - You'll never walk alone (1963)

silverhibee
17-09-2017, 06:59 PM

Will be great wheeling it out when we make it in to the Champions League. :greengrin

brog
17-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Lots of good club anthems. SoL is certainly one of the best although it is comparatively new.

West Ham - I'm forever blowing bubbles (1920s) I heard that strike up at the Boleyn Ground in 1964 and it was quite moving
Birmingham City - Keep right on to the end of the road (1956)
Liverpool - You'll never walk alone (1963)

Brighton fans singing Good Old Sussex by the Sea is excellent also. Like us, that song is also pertinent to the club, the others, even including YNWA really have minimal relevance.

pacorosssco
17-09-2017, 09:05 PM

Unique song sung after game not during. Cant think any other songs that can rival other than Blue Moon at Man City or bubbles West Ham but SOL better than both

heretoday
18-09-2017, 08:23 AM
It's all a matter of taste and opinion. No one club song is better than another as they exist to reaffirm the devotion of the fans' special relationship with their teams.

Leith's finest
18-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Crystal palace sing glad all over, which is very good

Jack Hackett
18-09-2017, 12:23 PM
I well up just thinking about it... So that'll be a 'yes' from me

Keith_M
18-09-2017, 12:34 PM
:fishin:

:greengrin

That's the one.

Keith_M
18-09-2017, 12:48 PM
For me as a hibs fan it's the best footballing song in the world.

From a neutral perspective though I've no idea where it ranks as (outwith the mainstream clubs in the UK) I know very little of other clubs and their anthems from around the world.

Absolute tune it is but

I can help with that :greengrin

The biggest Football Magazine in Germany (11 Freunde) once did a whole article just on SoL("I've got Goosebumps") . They were really generous in their praise of the song and the emotion from the fans when singing it, with special reference to the 2007 League cup Win.

Here's my post about it at the time...

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?274216-Hibees-singing-Sunshine-on-Leith-the-fame-goes-on&highlight=elf+freunde

jacomo
18-09-2017, 12:54 PM
I think thats a bit unfair about Anfield and lets face it most teams would churn out their anthem every game but I do get the giste of what you are saying, it keeps it very special, its actually very emotional (not saying YNWA isnt for Liverpool fans). My brother comes up for a few Hibs matches with me as and when he can, normally gets to 2/3/4 matches a season but hes never actualy heard SOL sung at a match!!

That's why they play it every time at Anfield - so all the plastic fans can take their selfies and hold their half and half scarves above their heads and bang on about how AMAZING it is to sing YNWA.

:devil:

I'm a big Stone Roses fan but playing 'This is the one' at every Old Trafford fixture riles me too.

Scouse Hibee
18-09-2017, 01:01 PM

Yeah okay then.

heidtheba
18-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Not forgetting their "Europe"song too. The Proclaimers are probably on the verge of splitting up over constantly blaming each other for the failure to come up with a song that rhymes "Europe" with "spew up" before the jumbos managed it.

That's a point. WTF is that all about? I mean every set of fans has a song which, although fun for them to sing, you'd not put in your match programme...but that mob did! First time I ever knew what words they used was when I was reading it at half time back in 2000 and Tynie. I refused to watch their 'celebrations' for winning the U-21 league or whatever it was. Oh, and whilst I'm ranting, the same page also had (IIRC) a made up 'East of Scotland League' which had them at the top and Dunfermline, Raith, us, Falkirk and Livi on it.
Boo!

lucky
18-09-2017, 01:41 PM
I think any stadium full and fans singing their own club song will be special to them. YNWA is sung to frequently by both Liverpool & Celtic but it is great at big matches. But SOL seems to have struck accord with fans of many clubs and the fact it's only done at the end of big games means it's alway electric

jacomo
18-09-2017, 01:50 PM
Yeah okay then.

I'm at it - a bit - but do you not agree that YNWA has now become a marketing device for the Liverpool 'brand'?

Obviously it does have a special resonance for Liverpool fans (and can be spine-tingling) but often it can feel like they are going through the motions.

Scouse Hibee
18-09-2017, 02:12 PM
I'm at it - a bit - but do you not agree that YNWA has now become a marketing device for the Liverpool 'brand'?

Obviously it does have a special resonance for Liverpool fans (and can be spine-tingling) but often it can feel like they are going through the motions.

No I don't,it's always been sung at every game as long as I've been going since I was a kid. So although there is undoubtedly a worldwide attendance at every game, YNWA is not sung to please them, it's sung because it always is.

Roxyhibee
18-09-2017, 03:27 PM
There's no way that YNWA is contrived just because Liverpool fans sing it every fortnight. It's their song and their 'feeling'.

It was the first real passionate anthem to emerge exclusively for a set of football fans that belonged locally to them and was pretty awe inspiring watching it being sung in the 60's and 70's and so on. There was absolutely nothing like it anywhere for any club that I can ever recall. It belongs solely to them and no one else. Everyone wanted and still wants a YNWA - even foreign fans of big clubs.

We are so lucky to have SOL now though and for me, it's a better song, melody, and it's got an incredibly intimate lyric about love and life. But then I'm obviously biased because it's ours.!

Both amazing anthems will endure long after we are all gone. (Cheery thought.!)

OsloHibs
18-09-2017, 06:26 PM
SOL is such a beautiful song. And know it's a FA cup song but hearing Abide with me gives me goosebumps too.

CockneyRebel
18-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Without a shadow of a doubt.

I'm forever blowing bubbles. What the hell is that all about? Was it written by Michael Jackson?

You cheeky monkey!

cheltenhamhibee
18-09-2017, 11:56 PM
Whenever I hear the Liverpool fans belting out YNWA it gives me goosebumps.

It's an emotional song and when you consider some of the stuff Liverpool as a club and a support have been through, it is the only song of another club that affects me in any way.

I f*****g hate that Celtic have nicked it and it annoys me intensely when they sing it. There is no history, no emotional attachment, nothing. It' embarrassing that a big club who should be able to have something emotional or meaningful of their own can't or won't.

It's hard to comment on SoL. Of course we're all going to love it.

Liverpool nicked it as well, it was first sung at Old Trafford after the Munich air disaster

Scouse Hibee
19-09-2017, 12:51 AM
Liverpool nicked it as well, it was first sung at Old Trafford after the Munich air disaster

Nonsense, some Manc granny on the wind up talking pish. Nice try from her but no cigar.

hibee_nation
19-09-2017, 02:58 AM
Munich air disaster 1958 song released 1963 think an early example of fake news here.

heretoday
19-09-2017, 04:13 AM
Nonsense, some Manc granny on the wind up talking pish. Nice try from her but no cigar.

Candle in the Wind, however, was first sung at the funeral of George VI.

CropleyWasGod
19-09-2017, 05:26 AM
Munich air disaster 1958 song released 1963 think an early example of fake news here.The song itself goes back to 1945.

Mick O'Rourke
19-09-2017, 07:11 AM
Munich air disaster 1958 song released 1963 think an early example of fake news here.

YNWA was written in the 1940s
Many famous artists/singers covered the song before the Gerry and the Pacemakers version (1963)
Maybe it was sung by United fans after the Munich Tragedy.

The Liverpool Kop would also belt out Beatles hits back in the early sixties.
Gerry Marsden comes along with YNWA and the rest is history.

It is and always will be a Liverpool anthem..

Sunshine on Leith is unique.
Its ours alone and without bias it stands out against any football "anthem" ,anywhere !

Dashing Bob S
19-09-2017, 08:31 AM
Seems that YNWA is our only (distant) rival and one or two honorable mentions for Bubbles.

Disappointed nobody has mentioned 'Hearts Glorious Hearts', I love the plucky 'wee team' defiance of that song. "There's a wee fitba team who will ey make its mark..." It says that you don't have to have a big stadium or pitch or your own training facilities or even a completed stand to dance with the big boys. So refreshing in this day and age with its vulgar obsession with scale and size.

JimBHibees
19-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Seems that YNWA is our only (distant) rival and one or two honorable mentions for Bubbles.

Disappointed nobody has mentioned 'Hearts Glorious Hearts', I love the plucky 'wee team' defiance of that song. "There's a wee fitba team who will ey make its mark..." It says that you don't have to have a big stadium or pitch or your own training facilities or even a completed stand to dance with the big boys. So refreshing in this day and age with its vulgar obsession with scale and size.

:not worth :faf:

Carheenlea
19-09-2017, 08:39 AM
A few years back watching FC Koln we were pretty impressed with the club song belted out as the teams took to the pitch. It went to the tune of "Loch Lomond" and all four sides of the ground were joining in. No idea of of the background to this, or the lyrics they use, but it made for an impressive sight.