PDA

View Full Version : Livi game coming at a good time?

G B Young
17-09-2017, 11:33 AM
No guarantees obviously, but if we play well on Tuesday we should beat Livi and give ourselves the lift of having yet another cup semi-final to look forward to.

Our form in the League Cup this season has been by and large excellent, with a stack of goals scored, and I feel it gave us the confidence to get the league campaign off to a flyer. The Hamilton game knocked us off our stride and there's clearly a fragility about us at present that needs addressed. Hopefully a comfortable win on Tuesday will help us to do just that.

There's a lot of negativity on here in the wake of yesterday's performance but I find it hard to believe things won't work out just fine. IMHO we DO have a strong squad, we DO have a good manager and we DO have a terrific set-up off the field as well as a fantastic number of fans rolling up to matches (younger fans may find it hard to credit but I recall attending a Hibs v Motherwell match in the early 80s where the crowd was less than 4,000).

It may take longer than we hoped to gel, but we're only half a dozen games into the league campaign. Plenty time for us to find the right formula.

DarlingtonHibee
17-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Must win game, if for nothing else than the money. They looked nervous yesterday, Bartley was outstanding.

G B Young
17-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Must win game, if for nothing else than the money. They looked nervous yesterday, Bartley was outstanding.

Indeed, the cup runs have played a big part in keeping the club in good financial health of late.

As for the game, I'd like to see Simon Murray get a goal or two just to keep his confidence up.

GreenNWhiteArmy
17-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Agree with the timing. A win and we're in the semi final of a national cup. Another semi might I add. Our cup runs lately have been excellent

Would like to see Porteous given some game time and I'd have Swanson and Sliv in from the start. We know what we're gonna get from Stokesy so I'd be inclined to give Murray and Big Dave a chance together

greenlex
17-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Livi have only just come of a really decent run. It won't be a formality. We should be winning at home comfortably.

staunchhibby
17-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Wonder what hibs will turn up on Tuesday,Not going to be easy.

Billy Whizz
17-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Simply, we need to win this game on Tuesday
Up to the Manager to pick the right team

Blaster
17-09-2017, 06:12 PM

True billy but also up to the players selected to play to their potential and not s..t their breeks like they did in the 2nd half yesterday

JimBHibees
17-09-2017, 06:13 PM

Yep only coming at a good time if we win. Will be tough they beat Falkirk away last round and they have an impressive away record.

Billy Whizz
17-09-2017, 06:14 PM
True billy but also up to the players selected to play to their potential and not s..t their breeks like they did in the 2nd half yesterday

Can't disagree with that, but he needs to get the players in the right positions, that didn't happen yesterday, Motherwell over ran our midfield

Blaster
17-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Can't disagree with that, but he needs to get the players in the right positions, that didn't happen yesterday, Motherwell over ran our midfield

It's a tricky one. I think with Boyle having a poor game and barker having a poor 2nd half we were left with 2 man midfield. Had they played a bit better maybe the midfield wouldn't have looked so exposed.

Certainly think Stevenson should be at left back.

kaimendhibs
17-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Have to play a very strong side and take nothing for granted. A semi final to look forward to will give everyone a huge boost.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
17-09-2017, 06:23 PM
It's a tricky one. I think with Boyle having a poor game and barker having a poor 2nd half we were left with 2 man midfield. Had they played a bit better maybe the midfield wouldn't have looked so exposed.

Would bring Lewis and Dylan in and drop one of the wingers probably Barker who is a good shout for an impact from the bench.

Billy Whizz
17-09-2017, 06:27 PM

Just wonder if Boyle was fit, didn't look like his old self yesterday

Lancs Harp
17-09-2017, 06:31 PM
Perhaps and I mean perhaps if we are looking at having two wingers on the park then a match against Livington is maybe a chance to look at it again. Personally I wouldnt, I'd look for more creativity through the middle, Dylan and Slivka start for me, bring Lewis back in, give Ryan a game in place of Efe and give Laidlaw a game (nothng to do with an iffy performance on saturday from Rocky just think the lad needs and deserves a run out, Rocky would be back on saturday).

Blaster
17-09-2017, 06:38 PM
Just wonder if Boyle was fit, didn't look like his old self yesterday

Possibly. Be worth trying Whittaker there in place of Boyle on Saturday and have Boyle to come off the bench later.

JimBHibees
17-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Perhaps and I mean perhaps if we are looking at having two wingers on the park then a match against Livington is maybe a chance to look at it again. Personally I wouldnt, I'd look for more creativity through the middle, Dylan and Slivka start for me, bring Lewis back in, give Ryan a game in place of Efe and give Laidlaw a game (nothng to do with an iffy performance on saturday from Rocky just think the lad needs and deserves a run out, Rocky would be back on saturday).

Hear what you are saying however not sure we are good enough to be making so many changes.

Blaster
17-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Would bring Lewis and Dylan in and drop one of the wingers probably Barker who is a good shout for an impact from the bench.

Yeah good shout. I don't think we can play two wingers and two strikers against many teams in league games

silverhibee
17-09-2017, 06:47 PM
Livi have only just come of a really decent run. It won't be a formality. We should be winning at home comfortably.

Livingston will come in to the game with a bit of confidence after a good result at Inverness at the weekend, but you are right we should be beating Livi at home by a few goals, a win and we are in a semi final, can only see a Hibs win so will say no more on the matter. :greengrin

Lancs Harp
17-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Livi will play the old championship style game at Easter Road, they will attempt to get behind the ball, frustrate and hit on the break. We've seen it many times in the last few years, we should have learnt how to beat it by now and Im confident we will beat it.

KWJ
17-09-2017, 06:54 PM
20 notes for a ticket is a bit steep.

eastcoasthibby
17-09-2017, 06:55 PM
No guarantees obviously, but if we play well on Tuesday we should beat Livi and give ourselves the lift of having yet another cup semi-final to look forward to.

Our form in the League Cup this season has been by and large excellent, with a stack of goals scored, and I feel it gave us the confidence to get the league campaign off to a flyer. The Hamilton game knocked us off our stride and there's clearly a fragility about us at present that needs addressed. Hopefully a comfortable win on Tuesday will help us to do just that.

There's a lot of negativity on here in the wake of yesterday's performance but I find it hard to believe things won't work out just fine. IMHO we DO have a strong squad, we DO have a good manager and we DO have a terrific set-up off the field as well as a fantastic number of fans rolling up to matches (younger fans may find it hard to credit but I recall attending a Hibs v Motherwell match in the early 80s where the crowd was less than 4,000).

It may take longer than we hoped to gel, but we're only half a dozen games into the league campaign. Plenty time for us to find the right formula.

Negativity isnt great but for most folk its the last 2 home games that have seen poor performances and especially defensively ! We need to find a decent.performance and result on Tuesday ..starting with being solid at the back including our keeper !! Do the basics well and develop the game from midfield forward !!

Frazerbob
17-09-2017, 08:18 PM
20 notes for a ticket is a bit steep.

Really? For a quarter final? What would say it should be?

Sir David Gray
17-09-2017, 08:28 PM
I'll answer this question at about 9:30pm on Tuesday!

DH1875
17-09-2017, 09:00 PM

Are they not still on a really good run and unbeaten away from home this year?

Sir David Gray
17-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Are they not still on a really good run and unbeaten away from home this year?

:agree: They are unbeaten away from home since December.

Nicho87
17-09-2017, 09:35 PM
Money's tight for me won't be going. Must win.

Smartie
17-09-2017, 09:41 PM
We need to get the problems from Saturday out of our system so forgetting for a minute that it's a cup game, a home game, or a game against a lower league team, it's good just to have a game.

Rocky needs to get back to business. The defence needs to be changed and needs to do much better - and if it looks better (which I think it would if Porteous and Stevenson came in for Ambrose and Whittaker) then it needs to be kept that way for Saturday.

We need to get McGeouch and Slivka involved, and if they do as well as we'd all expect, then they keep the jerseys for Saturday.

Whilst we have our problems, I'm really enjoying the football right now and the games can't come fast enough.

Forza Fred
19-09-2017, 01:41 AM
Hear what you are saying however not sure we are good enough to be making so many changes.

Good shout Jim.

There' a few players I'd like to see get a run to basically see how they perform, but it is tempered with the view that we are in danger of thinking 'any' team we put out will beat Livi.

Livi will have other ideas and after contributing to Robbo's eventual sacking on the weekend in Inverness, will treat this game like a cup final.

Win the game, and I do not care one jot who plays..or doesn't.

Keith_M
19-09-2017, 10:05 AM
The difference between the results we had in the LC games and the results in the League just illustrate where we are as a team. Most of the LC games were won comfortably... but we failed to score in the only game against Premier opposition in the group stage (despite dominating most of the game).

Clearly Hibs are much better than the lower league opposition we've played and hopefully they prove that with a win against Livi.